8.0

1. Oct 3, 2014
    USA update of the original. I went in expecting this to be inferior to the well made Swedish version and that was the consensus that I heard about the film. It does do somethings better than the original though, i found this one to be more tense (helped by a good score) in terms of narrative structure even though I knew the outcomes. The small intimate action scenes are also better in this version. The minor issue with this one is that the woman who played the original Lisbeth is so good in that role that it is a difficult act to follow. The actress playing her is fine, but the Swedish one is just more intense and more believable at times (dare I say i found here a little more attractive as this one is extremely thin.) Expand
  2. Mar 31, 2014
    Best editing in a film adaptation you will see this side of the decade. The film runs at an arduous pace, yet that is welcomed by the audience due to its gripping story. Rooney Mara is strong, rugged, yet very human as Salander.
  3. Mar 8, 2014
    Here comes an interesting and engaging thriller that presents itself with all kinds of twists and turns. While it may be to grotesque at times it still engages you as an audience member guessing what's going to happen next. The movie has a great cast led by Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara delivering a true oscar nominated performance. It also looks outstanding with its bleek setting and tremendous cinematography by Jeff Cronenweth. Overall, it's an outstanding fast-paced thriller filled with twists and turns. I give it an A! Expand
  4. Jan 11, 2014
    Thanks to David Fincher, the world now has Rooney Mara to admire (and stare at). She plays the Goth misfit Lisbeth in this film, her first lead role, and she’s actually pretty good. She does revenge particularly well. A fierce character, while not dominating every scene, Rooney dominates the film. She is the one we think a hour later.
    I will not try and compare her performance with Noomi
    Repace's, whom I also love to watch. Both do Lisbeth their
    own way.

When Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) gets into some political hot water and needs to get out of Stockholm, he takes a job as an investigator in the Swedish countryside trying to solve the mystery of a disappeared girl, but there are people that do not want him to to find the answers. Eventually he teams up with Lisbeth and they work on the case together.

In the first part of the film, the intersecting story lines between the two main characters are done with skill. Many scenes are not action or dialogue based, yet all they all add to the story. The decision to film this version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in Sweden, as opposed to swapping it out for some American city, was a well made one.

Since so much of the story is told in images, kudos goes to the editors Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall. Both are long time collaborators of Fincher, and they’ve both won multiple Oscars, including one for this film. I get the suspicion that they worked extra overtime on this movie; there are just tons and tons of scenes, a complete 180 from the style of Panic Room.

The chemistry between Rooney and Craig really builds throughout the film as the two work great together. The irregularity of the pairing makes it much more interesting and intriguing to follow than most typical, on-screen romances.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is not the most depressing of all Fincher productions, but it’s still pretty low down there, and I mean this in the best way possible. It’s either always raining or cold outside while sometimes this envorinment is contrasted against interior scenes that are pristine, white, clean. Tension. Clean rooms don't seem to apear often in Fincher films, and as expected there are many others that are dark and dirty.

The film ends in a reasonably satisfying way leaving us hanging, waiting for the sequel.

Errata: I could have gone without the final Stockholm scene when Lisbeth is riding her motorbike through the streets as it snows. A similar situation occurred in The Wolverine (2013) where Logan rode a motorbike through the mountains in Japanese winter. These situations would never occur. Motorbikes and snow are never a very convincing combination (for me anyway).
  5. Jan 11, 2014
    Impressive movie has to be on of the most challenging for daniel craig, things like this happen all the time its not a safe world and if you do get free from something like this you always remember it. Unique movie thought...
  6. Jan 1, 2014
    It has moments of grimness and Rooney Mara scenes that desperate teenagers will love but The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has unbearable pacing and a scattered plot that doesn't really make sense.
  7. Nov 1, 2013
    It’s quite an accomplishment when a fine young actress with lesser known credentials than her A-List co-star, manages to steal the spotlight away in dramatic fashion, Rooney Mara does exactly that to Daniel Craig, this remake of the 2009 Swedish film packs quite the punch in terms of mystery and intrigue, it drew me in with the separate storylines which eventually intertwined, but the lead performances are the real gold stars of the film. Lisbeth Solander is the girl in question, and what a fascinating specimen this girl is, underneath the gothic clothing, erratic eating and one night stands, Solander has a brilliant mind, but a fragile state is the even ground, we know that she has been raising herself from a young age, she does what she wants and really because she can, dresses as she does probably due to a lack of opinion from others and has taught herself to remain alone and isolated from society, yet when she is faced with a problem she will try her hardest to figure out a way around it, including her appointed guardian (Yorick van Wageningen) abusing her to the point of desperation, she isn’t a girl to be taken lightly, but she finds an unlikely friend in the man she was hired to investigate earlier, Mikael Blomkvist (Craig), who has his own problems. His story picks up surrounding a court battle which he has little chance of coming out on top, he decides to help out an old and tiring millionaire called Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer) who lives on a private island, cut off from the mainland, he hopes journalist Blomkvist will help him try and solve the disappearance and probable death of his niece Harriet 40 years earlier, but when Blomkvist starts to dig, he realises the mess the family is in, relatives not speaking to each other, Nazi beliefs, estranged children and how clues seem to lead back to one or the other, a family matter indeed. The paths of the two leads cross as Blomkvist seeks the help of the young Solander, and their unorthodox relationship ensues.
    The film has much more than what it is at first glance, its a fascinating script with excellent performances being brought to life through the likes of Stellan Skarsgärd and Steven Berkoff, they all have secrets and unknown tales in their secluded island, but they all want to know why now? Why look for clues to the young girl now? Director David Fincher has a talent for making the little details count, the smoking habits, the sexual nature of the characters and the seclusion of it all, he captures the mood of a typically murky and gritty time with a beaten cottage beside a lake with snow falling heavily to the ground, the two leads come from very different lives, yet wind up on the hunt for a potential murderer on a secluded island. Mara holds her own with edgy brilliance and the damaged genius of Solander, Craig is a confident individual passes this to Mikael Blomkvist, a man who had it all but let his status get the better of him, Solander could be the very thing to bring him back down. This is a fascinating thriller that rightfully relies on its characters to spark the mystery of the story, its smart, intriguing and offers a different view in terms of heroic actions from unlikely individuals.
  8. Sep 2, 2013
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is full of twisted characters that need to be locked away from the rest of us!It`s a mystery movie that mostly takes place on an Island that feels like a cold prison for the privileged.The Main character is odd but interesting. I didn`t know much about this movie but was surprised to like it so much since it`s really not the kind of movie I normally watch.
  9. Jun 25, 2013
    This film is a masterpiece. I've seen the Swedish one I think) and I have to say that the american is much better. The actors are fascinating. Daniel Craig, which is not one of my favorite actors impressed me and Rooney Mara was beyond excellence. The plot though it is based on a book is smart and it has suspense through the whole movie. I can't wait to see the next one. Plus, David Fincher did a great job in this one. A must-watch Expand
  10. Jun 9, 2013
    meh, not really that much to say about this, it's enjoyable and adequately paced. having a boring tuesday afternoon and apparently nothing better to do watch this
  11. May 17, 2013
    I liked it, but I wasn't blown away by the movie. Even at two and a half hours, the story still feels cramped. This should come as no surprise, as the original book is about 600 pages of solid writing. Some elements had to be changed/cut out for the sake of pacing and cohesiveness, but overall the movie mirrors the book almost completely. Daniel Craig gives a good performance, but I felt like he was somewhat limited by the script. Rooney Mara fares better, bringing Lisbeth Salander to life, but I can't say that her performance was Oscar worthy.

While the movie is a good one, it is far from amazing. I still think the book is a much better telling of the story, and the limitations imposed by the movie medium do show. Then again, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is a far better adaptation than most book-to-movie flicks.
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    First of all, I'm a huge fan of the original Swedish film and Noomi Rapace's fantastic performance, but this one, OMG. Simply said, David Fincher's 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' is a phenomenal masterpiece. I've watched this film five times and I still can't get enough of it. I can write hundreds of essays about this film, it's a perfect film for film students to deconstruct and study about, but moreover, it's incredible entertainment. It's impossible to talk about the film without raving about Rooney Mara's hypnotic performance, which I believe is better than Noomi Rapace's performance. This girl does it all in this film, she is completely unafraid of the camera, it's as if David Fincher yelled ''action'' from another closed room and let her do her job on her own or with a cast mate in another. I seriously can't wait for the sequel... Expand
  13. Feb 24, 2013
    After a sloppy hour, where you feel like you just made a mistake by starting this movie, the plot starts to catch up and the characters start to unfold. I haven't read the book, but the plot totally hooked me, and I loved every bit of it when the movie started to progress. Rooney Mara did a superb job on portraying Lisbeth.
  14. Feb 22, 2013
    Does the international sensation The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo live up to all the hype? In my estimation, no! There is no denying that the story is amazing. The book may be amazing, and the original Swedish version of the film might be equally amazing, but David Fincher's adaptation of it is not. From the very beginning it seems as thou he's trying to turn this story into something it's not, a sequel to Seven. The story is fantastic, however, there are so many odd names and so many mumbled lines thrown at you so quickly, that you're easily confused. At many points in this film I was confused, and even when the killer was revealed, my reaction was "which one is that?" Besides being confusing, the film has about an hour of footage that has nothing to do with the main story and just adds to the overall confusion of the film. Like I said, the story is really good, the actors were really good also, but the film was just very long and confusing, and to be honest, I really wasn't all that impressed by it. Expand
  15. Feb 5, 2013
    I liked this movie. The whole investigation is so captivating and casts were great. Rooney Mara is just amazing being Lisbeth, so real and raw. I totally believed that person that she is. Plot and script were also good. Although some parts can be quite boring, but you just can't take your eyes away from Lisbeth, the girl with the dragon tattoo.
  16. Jan 6, 2013
    Well, it's complicated thriller far enough! The naked cruelty limits the sensitive audience while the tightly prescribed story keeps you deep breathing.
  17. Dec 6, 2012
    I loved it! I personally liked it a lot more than the Swedish version (both are brilliant films). A little long. Rooney Mara is brilliant, we'll be hearing about her in the future. The opening credits are super stylish and epic.
  18. Nov 28, 2012
    Featuring an uncommonly sensational performance from Rooney Mara, David Fincher's take on "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" proves to be a cerebral, vicious and worthy addition to his repertoire overall.
  19. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    I am a massive fan of Steig Larsson's series of books so I was keen to see Hollywood's take on the story. I've haven't seen the original Swedish versions of the films yet.

What's it all about?
    Based on the book of the same name and set in Sweden, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo tells the story of disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) and extrovert
    freelance researcher Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara) investigate the disappearance of teenager Harriet Vanger decades earlier. As the pair attempt to hunt down the murderer they become entangled in an estranged family with shady history.

Should you watch it?
    TGWTDT is essentially a cold case whodunit but what sets the story apart is not the complexity of the wealthy Vanger family and their whereabouts on that day but the characters investigating the mystery. Blomkvist is fresh from losing a libel lawsuit and accepts the case as a sabbatical from work while Lisbeth Salander is now probably one of the most iconic female characters of recent times. A gifted researcher and computer hacker under state guardianship due to a chequered adolescence, Salander only enters the story in its main sense half way through. The first half introduces her character's issues, her initiative and resolve in the face of difficulty. Despite being a whodunit, as the title suggests, the story is really about Salander.

I enjoyed the US film version and thought David Fincher managed to do the book justice squeezing just enough detail from the book into the two and half hours without compromising some of the more extreme scenes. I was concerned that some of the complexity of the various generations of the Vanger family would be lost in the translation from book to film but Fincher managed to explain this carefully enough with visual aids for it to get across to the audience.

The faults with the film are similar to the book in that the postscript ending seems just as tagged onto the end but this is a small gripe and it rests with Larsson's decision to set up the next instalment here. Rooney Mara is excellent as Salander, and the production team did a great job designing her appearance true to the story.
  20. Nov 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was really disappointed with the movie, Lizbeth is the story her skills & life is the essence of the story & they butchered her part. There was nothing to show her computer hacking / programming super abilities which are essential in her role & her life.
    They used the general plot of the story & neglect the essence of it.
  21. Oct 3, 2012
    This movie was shocking in many ways - an excellent adaptation of the book, which was a shock - on par or better than its foreign counterpart - and a very engrossing cinematic experience, not to mention an incredible journey into the depravity of the darkest of mankind. I found this movie hard to watch at times but was compelled to not shy away as it hit me in the face with the reality of the book and the deep understanding I felt toward the characters. The acting is superb and the soundtrack is some of Trent Reznor's best and most mature work to date. Expand
  22. Sep 26, 2012
    I couldn't find much to like about this film, the cinematography was poor / borderline amateurish, the acting was mixed, ALL the themes were depressing (i could forgive this i guess), i had no interest in discovering 'who dunnit' as it felt like there was no engagement with the viewer, the lighting made the sets seem staged, plus a lot more.

I thought the use of sexual violence was
    interesting but felt it had little to do with the plot - i have not read the book so can't comment on its relevance. The 'dragon tattoo girl' seemed pathetic in these situations and was hoping she'd stick up for herself sooner as her character seemed to suggest she would.

Ended up playing Carcassonne half-way through with a friend as we both felt the movie wasn't really going anywhere (i lost).
  23. Sep 24, 2012
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a really great thriller with good central performances. It has just the right amount of creepiness to give it that nerve-wrangling edge. It isn't quite perfect, however. It's overlong and has a far too many subplots (probably set ups for the sequel). That said, the meat of the movie is fantastic... It just needed a little bit more of the fat cut off.
  24. Aug 18, 2012
    I've seen both the original & this remake and I have to say that although Fincher's version obviously looks better, has better production design and values and cool soundscapes by NIN they both have a very similar feel and it's probably a matter of personal taste which one you prefer. But if you have seen one you don't real need to see the other.
  25. Aug 11, 2012
    Not even Fincher with admittedly inspiring casting, and an impressive list of nail biting movies such as "Seven," "Fight Club" and "Zodiac", was able to emulate the edge of the Swedish original film which in turn could not compare with the depth of the original material in the book. And although Craig, in contrast with Nyqvist in the original film, brings extra umpf with the surplus of erotic charisma needed to unfold the book's main character, it is the other way around between Mara and Rapace who steals the show in the Swedish version with her unflinching raw performance of one of the most complex characters on the silver screen to date. Expand
  26. Aug 10, 2012
    Compelling and, at times, brutally graphic mystery that entertains and signals the arrival of Rooney Mara as a star, but runs about a half hour too long, dragging at the finish.
  27. Aug 1, 2012
    Simply put, good but not amazing. I prefer the original miniseries from Sweden (the 6-part series, not the condensed 3 films, which remove almost 1 hour of content). While this was faithful for the script, one of the main problems for me was the English language, as it does not fit the setting of the film and loses some of the realism and grit present in the originals. That being said, Craig and Mara are a convincing pair, which makes this a good alternative for people who dislike reading subtitles. Expand
  28. Jul 30, 2012
    A remake done really well that complies with the plot and understand when it is terrible violence suffered by women and when they are horrible people who violate them. Excellent photography and the dark atmosphere and dramatic film, fantastic actors especially that of Rooney Mara, who has managed to give us a wonderful interpretation of Lisbeth.
  29. Jul 21, 2012
    I thought this was excellent. Being a big fan of the book and Swedish film, I was prepared to be disappointed, especially after Noomi Rapace was soo good in the original. Rooney Mara's take on Salander is different but just as good, and I was really impressed by the film. Less depth but more polished.
  30. Jul 3, 2012
    Rooney Mara nails Lisbeth Sandler's character, even better than Noomi Rapace. Daniel Craig also does a good job playing what he does best, an FBI agent. It's long because it is one of the few movies faithful to a book and can actually bring the emotion of it. From 2012's adapted screenplays, you won't be able to find one as faithful as this one and The Hunger Games, thanks to great acting and character relevance, as well as nice elaborate action sequences. Expand
  31. May 22, 2012
    Another Fincher classic, that's all I could think after leaving this film feeling satisfied as always. I had not seen the original Swedish film before I saw this (I did a few weeks after), and found that both had definite strengths and weaknesses. Call me a sucker for Fincher's style, but I preferred this version. Mara is perfect, Daniel Craig is charming and reeks of class as always, and everyone else is absolutely top notch. The process of the investigation leading up to the climax is all masterfully done by Fincher, he demonstrates further that there is no one better at building modern murder mysteries. The only instance in which this film falters is the last 20 minutes, after an intense climax and satisfying resolution we are treated to more of the story. It feels a little drudging and after dealing with so much ferocity in the last two hours it was difficult to become invested in the separate story (introduced in the very beginning for Craig's character). Either way, this is required viewing for any Fincher fan. Expand
  32. May 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, I have watched the 2009 Swedish film. Yes, I have read the book trilogy. No, I do not think David Fincher's adaptation is worse than the Swedish film. It does not mean I think it is great either. However hard it must've been to adapt Stieg Larsson's trilogy to the big screen, I feel this film came closer to achieving the goal than the Swedish version, which - and I'm not speaking metaphorically - made me fall asleep (and I'm used to watching Bergman in Swedish!). The characters are well constructed, and I feel the actors playing them are better suited than the ones in the previous version (I mean, Erika is supposed to be attractive, Lisbeth is supposed to be a sociopath). Rooney Mara shows she has the potential to be one of Hollywood's great names. The photography is wonderful, with every single frame capturing the scenery beautifully. I would recommend this film to a friend, but I would specially recommend it to someone who has no plans to read the trilogy. Expand
  33. May 19, 2012
    Smart, gritty, well-paced, and beautifully shot, this incarnation succeeds in every way that the original failed. Featuring excellent direction by David Fincer and strong performances from Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgård, and a magnificent, career-defining performance from Rooney Mara in the titular role, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' is most certainly a must-see for any fans of dark drama. A+ Expand
  34. May 16, 2012
    One of david fincher's best films. Sure, at first it starts out kinda slow, but it speeds up. And once it does, it's like a punch right in the gut. Its brutal, intruiging, and captivating all at the same time. The best crime thriller i have ever seen.
  35. Apr 24, 2012
    Great movie! I have not yet read the books, but I definitely did not expect the plot to be what it was. Mara Rooney was fantastic as well! I think that her role was very inspirational for women, and definitely got my adrenaline going, that's what makes a good movie-when the audience can connect with the actors through emotions and actions. Can't wait to read the books!
  36. Apr 21, 2012
    I must admit I was disappointed with Mara's performance as Lisbeth. Lisbeth is a complicated character with complex emotions who suffers from constant inner turmoil. I was looking forward to seeing an actress's attempt to convey such complex behavior. And after all this is a story driven by a female lead character. Unfortunately I can't even recall seeing any versatility or depth in Mara's performance. She had only one facial expression, that of contempt for anyone who was present. And her delivery of lines was not memorable in the least bit. I believe what made this movie successful was the director's ability to put Mara into situations that were interesting. In conclusion, don't watch this movie if you expect an inspiring or moving portrayal of Ms. Salander. *Definitely give the English dubbed version of the Swedish movie a try, the voice acting is excellent, and quickly you can't even notice that its dubbed. Expand
  37. Apr 15, 2012
    Fincher is once again brilliant and his films still remain an event. Rooney mara's performance also is on the line of perfection. I am excited for his next film.
  38. Apr 12, 2012
    I loved that some of the cast went for scandinavian lilts to their accents, and some of them didn't. She's great, but the whole thing is such obvious trash, that the director's good taste and desire for realism makes the whole thing a bummer instead of a juicy guilty pleasure. Definitely a miss, despite the craft on display.
  39. Apr 11, 2012
    Engaging, intelligent, fantastic performances all round, masterfully shot and directed, David Fincher didn't put a foot wrong with this beautifully crafted thriller.
  40. Apr 10, 2012
    Brutal, dark, intense, shocking, interesting, and enjoyable, these are just some of the words I would use to describe this movie, it's fantastic but not in the way you'd expect, honestly after watching this I was pretty surprised at what I just watched, let me just tell you this it's earned it's R rating, and that this is definitely one you don't want to end up in the hands of a kid, the plot is enjoyable, it has a fantastic soundtrack, and Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara both deliver outstanding and exceptional performances, Rooney Mara's performance as Lisabeth in particular was phenomenal, she made her character come to life and made me want to learn everything about Lisabeth, and I hope they make the sequels just so I can, it's an outstanding, intense, and fantastic movie experience that I highly recommend, just be sure your ready for it first. Expand
  41. Apr 6, 2012
    This is an engagind movie, yet, that is all it is. I heard so much about it! I thought it would be original and gripping, not just a fun, 'refined' cliche but what I found was that even though it has good elements, The Girls With the Dragon Tattoo is still little more than an average movie. This film recurs to stereotypical situations and characters to create tension. They are well developed but the movie lacks depth. Still, I enjoyed it so I went and rented the 2nd and 3rd sequels They were bad! Truly disappointing...Boring!. This one at least, has a defined plot and keeps the suspense until the end. Expand
  42. Apr 2, 2012
    Initially one would think it was too soon to remake the original Swedish version of the movie, unless there are people out there who find reading English subtitles objectionable. This film was definitely in English, presenting the typical Hollywood paradox of how to indicate that the characters are really of another linguistic background. This has been a problem since the first war movies where the Nazis are speaking English, usually with a German accent, and occasionally cursing in German. In this movie, the Swedish persona is communicated partly with the British accents of Daniel Craig and Joely Richardson and an occasional toast of Skol! Stellan Skarsgard, in the pivotal role of Martin Vanger, is one of the few speaking English with a Swedish accent. Americans Robin Wright and Rooney Mara have the added challenge of reciting their lines with a vaguely British accent to indicate they are Swedish. The bad guy in the gruesome rape scene is a Dutchman speaking English, and Christopher Plummer is actually Canadian, but speaks with such slow, deliberate elegance, you think he's Swedish. It gets complicated. Background signs and coffee mugs are all in Swedish, since the film was shot in Sweden. But having decided to remake the movie, the film is there to be watched (or rented), and it does compare well to the intensity and drama of the original Swedish production. Some of the story details have been changed, to no purpose, for the alterations neither downgrade nor enhance the quality of the narrative. The best reason to see this film is to watch the performance of Rooney Mara, a newcomer, who in a previous life shows up in Internet photos looking like a sweet and innocent child with long, dark hair. She has transformed herself inside out, practically changing her skin to become Lisbeth Salander. If you saw the original, you won't even remember Noomi Rapace in the same role, because Rooney Mara's intensity just wipes out all previous recollections. The artful cinematography aptly describes the bleak, desolate landscape of a Swedish winter. But the main drawback is the same one that flawed the previous version--the brutality of the rape scene is too graphic and too realistic. Cinema is art, and graphic brutality does nothing for the artistic vision being so carefully constructed on the screen. This kind of explicit rendering puts the film on the same level as inferior-quality films that do not aspire to be high art. It's a huge blotch in the middle of the film. The torture chamber at the end is also problematic. Somehow these plot elements have to be suggested rather than depicted, and I'm not sure how that would be done. But then I'm not getting paid barrels of cash to make this movie. And yes, it was a faux pas to release Dragon Tattoo just a few days before Christmas, but fortunately, the box office receipts recovered nicely from that marketing mistake. Expand
  43. Apr 1, 2012
    Holy overrated dog sh*t batman!!! I don't get it!! I sat through the first 55 minutes of this excruciatingly, boring and emotionless crap. What movie did all these people see??? I know professional critics get paid off by the studios to give good reviews but do users also get money??? As of now there are 312 positive reviews for this lame movie? I need some cash so please give me the name and number of the studio head that paid all of you off to give this atrocity positive reviews. Everyone out there, SAVE YOUR MONEY AND TIME!!! AWFUL!!! Expand
  44. Apr 1, 2012
    I liked it. Solid performances by the cast. It was an interesting mystery that was nice to see unfold. I think the huge flaw of the movie is that it was a bit too long for my taste. Other than that, It was good.
  45. Mar 29, 2012
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo es la mejor pelicula que he visto desde hace mas de un año. La actuacion de Rooney Mara es perfecta y magistral. Daniel Craig nos da otra solida demostracion de su talento y es aun mejor que la version sueca. Me encanto y aunque dura casi 3 horas me parecio intrigante y inteligente.
  46. Mar 29, 2012
    Good. Love the actors and the the tone of the movie. Its has some plot issues. It can be watched but don't really let under 17 people watched as they will either be board or just freak out as is a complex story.
  47. j30
    Mar 25, 2012
    When I heard David Fincher was remaking the excellent Swedish film The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I wasn't as worried as most people were. Fincher, having made Seven and Fight Club, I thought the source material was right up his alley. The film itself doesn't surpass the Swedish original, but is well acted and a well made film. The score is excellent by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. I guess the one thing is missing is the discomfort from the original. Expand
  48. Mar 25, 2012
    Too much un-needed explicit sex, and rape scenes if it weren't for the gratuitous sex scenes it would have been an enjoyable movie. The plot was good, acting was good. Had to fast forward many scenes, especially the rape scene and the oral sex scene. I don't know why they choose to put the trash in this movie.
  49. Mar 20, 2012
    The original "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was an exemplary film. It had great characters and an extremely smart and suspenseful plot. Then David Fincher's version of the film came out and totally blew the original out of the water. The characters were fleshed out more, especially the exquisite Lisbeth Salander played beautifully by Rooney Mara, who totally deserved Best Actress over Meryl Streep's wooden Margaret Thatcher. To put it bluntly, Mara's Lisbeth was a total bad ass, which was extremely needed. She played the character to a T and was more convincing than Noomi Rapace's portrayal (no offense Noomi). Daniel Craig also did a great job at playing Mikael and did the character more justice. The film was long but the length was needed. It took out all the filler nonsense of the original film and added more well-needed detail and style. David Fincher redeems himself a hundred times over after giving us the utterly terrible "Social Network" and re-instilled much needed faith back into his film making capabilities. It was taut, sleek, stylish, suspenseful and utterly provocative. Dark, graphic, and disturbing are age old trademarks of Fincher (see Fight Club and Seven) and he went and brought them back with a vengeance in this beautifully crafted and well-needed improvement to "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series and can't wait to see what wonder Fincher brings to the table with the sequels. Expand
  50. Mar 20, 2012
    Unsatisfying. David Fincher who was at the top of his game with The Social Network runs all over the place with this piece and never manages to maintain a real focus on what the focus point of the film is about. There are just too many subplots that supposedly drive what should be the main focus which is the serial killer that gets just lost in the translation. Seven and The Zodiac did this much better. Rooney Mara is quite good but her performance certainly did not merit an Oscar Nomination. Daniel Craig is a standout as is Stellan Skarsgaard and Joely Richardson. The music seemed retrofitted and at times competed with the film and became glaring and just noise. The cinematography which seems to be used to underscore the mood of the film lacks a certain crisp quality that would enhance the whole process. There is so much here that could have made an incredible film and yet all we get are loose threads. There's nothing that creates a bond between the characters and the audience. It's almost as if the author created all these little sub plots just to deliberately derail the focus of the story and actually succeeds. Hanna was a better film than this with Saorise giving a much better performance in that vehicle than Rooney Mara does in this one. Like any of us really believe that Rooney Mara was driving that motorcycle. Dainel Craig gives credence to the investigative reporter and underplays enough to make him convincing. Three quarters through the film it's pretty clear that Stellan is the villian. The only piece that was surprising is that Harriett never died and was actually still alive yet there is little detail given to that subplot. Fincher's direction is very even but empty. The screenplay is just all over the place. Expand
  51. Mar 16, 2012
    LOVED THE CASTING. DAVID FINCHERS PERSONAL TWIST. ALL OF IT. Haven't read the books or the seen the first takes of the films, but I loved this one and hopes Fincher signs on to Direct the second and so on and so forth.
  52. Mar 14, 2012
    This movie may not be perfect but it definitely grows on you, and Fincher has still got it. Rooney Mara, who bagged two nominations (the Golden Globes and the Oscars as well) for her goth-punk character Lisbeth Salander, pours her heart and soul into it . Her performance is the best part of the movie. But mind you, this movie isn't for the faint of heart, But a must watch for Rooney's Electrifying performance as Lisbeth! Expand
  53. Mar 7, 2012
    I am going to go out on a limb and say this but "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was the best film in 2011. Daniel Craig showed us a role that he proved that he could play well and the newly talented Rooney Mara was the best part of it. There are movies where you can tell whether or not they put a lot of effort into it and this proves that they did. The story line was phenomenal, the actors were great, the cinematography really shined and the original score behind it was also as great. In my opinion the best part of the film was the Female Lead, Rooney Mara, who plays Lisbeth Salander in the film and plays it with a passion like no other. Pick it up on DVD on March 20. Expand
  54. Mar 7, 2012
    This movie is a modern masterpiece. Incredibly well done, with amazing performances and a golden direction from David Ficher. Far superior than the swedish version in all the possible ways, and true to the book, this is what Dragon Tattoo fans were waiting for.
  55. Mar 5, 2012
    I approached the Tattooed Girl phenomena with a rare privilege: first I saw the 6 episode original swedish Millennium miniseries that inspired Fincher et al. And like so many I was completely absorbed by this girl and basically the whole cast. The story really comes together and the center is the Millennium magazine. So why did the Americans have to do a remake? Mara doesn't add a single bit to Rapace's excellent portrayal of the disturbed heroin and an oscar nomination to boot? Does Craig make a better Blomkvist? No. Perhaps the bleak winter up in northern sweden was better represented (the series shows a climactic perfect sweden which is quite laughable). I won't be holding my breath to see part 2 and 3 which are in the works because they already exist: you just have to read the subtitles (they really do speak swedish there don't they...) Expand
  56. Mar 3, 2012
    Hopefully is the best movie of 2011, quite interesting script, two characters as different as they seems, a perfect combination as a team. Just one well done movie.
  57. Mar 2, 2012
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo of Fincher was doomed from the beginning to be compare with the Swedish version. The problem is that after this comparison the American production was totally degraded. Although the story is very attractive and scary, this is not a point for this movie, because there other one has it too; then we have the plot, here the development of the actions happen in a darker atmosphere, but everything is less emotional and more carnal than the film of Niels Arden Oplev; in other words this picture is the Hollywood alter ego. And as an ultra-commercial movie have parts left over, which were shown implicit by the Swedish one (an extraordinary film is the one in which the viewer has to interpret or deduce some parts of the plot). Finally we have the contrast of the protagonists: Daniel Craig gives a weak performance, the one of Michael Nyqvist is a lot more convincing as Blomkvist. About Lisbeth Salander, which is a much more difficult role, I think Rooney Mara capture it more than Noomi Rapace, and that interpretation pulls this movie up. Expand
  58. Feb 26, 2012
    David Fincher definitely kept his charm on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo . Its an amazing mystery film that I was waiting so long. Amazing screenplay and amazing directing . Daniel Craig was really good at his role . Rooney Mara definitely pulled off her emo look and her acting was her best (undoubtedly ). Filming location was in one word AMAZING . It was perfect for the film . It was Snowy , Dark , Cold , The three best weather for an amazing mystery .
    So much looking forward to see a Sequel . Sony said they will be filmed back to back and I wish they would release those the same way.
  59. Feb 21, 2012
    If the scene of the opening credits already affirms that it will be a heavy dip in a violent world, covered with dense blackness and incendiary, what follows is an attempt to reveal this evil once hidden behind the power and the many untruths that people from the story are trying to impose itself. The corrupt businessman to the meticulous killer, maybe even beyond that. The great ambition of the film is pervaded all these facts by the figure that resonates with insane intensity of credits lost in the narrative development, Lisbeth Salander cultivates in her "inability to live socially" - which the state condemns a hallucinatory force in her proper strangeness of being. Her impenetrability marks the film, or perhaps the latter is molded to it.

And it is in the journalistic curiosity that Mikael and Lisbeth in the particular vehemence that the entire film unfolds, not only the desire of Blomkvist to uncover the truth and try to prove to himself that after all is still a work in a universe capable unfair, but also a woman afflicted with many cruelties, far from innocent, but that is the search for a killer of women the desire to exterminate this scum of men who mistreated, echoing ghosts of Christmases past that the film does not reveal, but it suggests. Salander is the driving force that has long, affecting Mikael and the rising tension, which grows, in an investigation of a past that resonates even today.

David Fincher here is in the same technical finesse of Social Network", but quite superior to echo the masterpiece of director who is "Zodiac." He is able to develop his work respecting the genius of suspense that Stieg Larsson writes in the text at the same time deepens the personalities of his intriguing characters, from a family background that exudes decadent bitterness, wickedness and misogyny that characterize the protagonists to be precisely to the contrary, whether feminism is a transgressor of Lisbeth or the breakup of this family structure represented by Mikael, all enrolled in a theatre now conscious and well thought out.
  60. Feb 19, 2012
    David Fincher's great direction...
    Rooney Mara's remarkable performance...
    Steven Zailian's well-written screenplay...
    Easily one of the best works Fincher has done...
  61. Feb 15, 2012
    David Fincher doesn't need great source material to turn in celluloid excellence: The Social Network proved that if one does than something great will occur, but the original 'Dragon Tattoo' novels are not such material. The Swedish adaptation left me cold feeling back in 2009, but given Fincher's track record, I felt like I owed this film a shot. When the opening scene of the film opens with Vanger's phone call, I started to get antsy, is this going to be a shot-for-shot redux? No. No, it's not. The pulsing opening credits scored to Karen O's "The Immigrant Song" made me quite aware of that.

Harriet Vanger has been missing for the better part of forty years, given that piece of information the fact that Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer) keeps receiving portraits from his niece is disconcerting. Enter Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig). Facing a major libel suit and perhaps jail time, the last thing the journalist wants to do is add another opportunity to be wrong again.

Before Vanger hands the investigation over to Blomkvist to find out why Harriet may have disappearedâ
  62. Feb 15, 2012
    from Kate Winslet in "The Reader" did not see nudity as explicit and worked. Rooney Mara endorsed this film where there is also praise for the editing and sound fabulous.
  63. Feb 15, 2012
    I have to stay really honest here, and I must say that I haven't seen a better movie in past, well, year and a half, maybe. I'm so captivated by it, and I still think about the movie's plot and the characters, who did an amazing job, especially Rooney Mara. I haven't seen the Swedish version yet ( the original - always the best ) but this movie is quite perfect. I usually oversleep movies, but dude, was I awake. It kept my attention till the end. I highly recommend this movie. Expand
  64. Feb 13, 2012
    What a bloody brilliant film.....I've not read the books or seen the Swedish versions but I was utterly transfixed from go to woe......
    This is by far my film of the year thus far.
  65. Feb 11, 2012
    David Fincher did his lurid best. See this English adaptation with fresh look. Rooney Mara's Lisbeth Salander is different with Noomi Rapace's. And also the movie, although a drawback but it's different air. Not Fincher's best work but it also great in every level.
  66. Feb 9, 2012
    I will tell you that I didn't read the book so I cannot make any comparison with the movie. The movie though is totally disappointing: bad acting, slow pace, annoying and totally unjustified sex scenes... Also I'm wondering why did they need to remake an already boring swedish movie with british and american actors playing swedish characters?
  67. Feb 8, 2012
    This film is utterly unsatisfying.
    Not even slightly entertaining, some of the performances were utterly laughable, and the script was horrifyingly bad.
  68. Feb 4, 2012
    Rooney Mara vs. Noomi Rapace, that is the question. There is no real way to review this movie for me without comparing the two versions. I really love the Swedish version, so I was a little hesitant about seeing the American remake. However, a friend told me that is was good, and I should see it, so I did. This is what I think; the American remake is a solid movie, and in some cases it may be more true to the book (thatâ Expand
  69. Feb 3, 2012
    Best remake so far,,if you already watched the original dont watch it anymore,,Rooney Mara was awesome,very good acting,,she deserve an oscar for this,,Daniel Craig very good,,and a cool opening,,thuoght i was watching james bond filmm..
  70. Feb 2, 2012
    In my oppinion in this year it is one of the best films and I like it ! I think that it can take an Oscar like a best film of the year but , it can't ...
  71. Feb 1, 2012
    David Fincher's return to serial killer territory is a welcome one, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an excellent crime thriller and one of year's best films. The modern day master of tension crafts an abrasive yet engaging movie, which tells the popular murder mystery story in an eclectic way. It can be considered an improvement from the Swedish version thanks to intriguing storytelling, the more detailed focus on the investigation and the portrayal of some characters. The crafts in this film were also top notch from its atmospheric score to its pulp film editing. Rooney Mara gives an edgy performance as the iconic Lisbeth Salander (applause) and I've always had an issue with Blomkvist's character but Daniel Craig did a good job portraying him in this adaptation. Despite my enthusiasm I'm not certain how thrilled I am about a sequel to a movie of this sort, but I'll wait and see how it goes. Expand
  72. Jan 31, 2012
    An amazing movie: definitely one of the best of the year of 2011. Craig and Mara were gods... A truly great thriller. The opening scene is perfectely obscure and awesome; its even appropriated to say: legendary! The movie begins very calm and starts to speed up. David Fincher - I did not liked that much The Social Network, but this one? This one you got it right. Keep up the good work (like Benjamin Button and Fight Club...)! I strongly recommend! Expand
  73. Jan 30, 2012
    This movie was just brilliant. Arguably my favorite movie of the year David Fincher brought us something that only be described as cinematic art. Fincher struck gold with his Lisbeth, Rooney Mara. She steals the show as is made obvious by her much deserved Oscar nomination. She really should win in my opinion but probably won't because the Academy messes up most of the time. Really just a beautifully written, perfectly acted, and professionally directed work of art. Perfect. Expand
  74. Jan 29, 2012
    Millenium trilogy? What's that? I haven't read Larsson's books, I haven't seen the previous movies. Probably that's why I'm able to give this movie a sound 9. I don't care if this is a good adaptation of Larsson's book. What I can say is that I was simply captivated by this movie for 2,5 hours. The plot is good, makes you wonder, fear, doubt, and shock all the time. The gloomy atmosphere of a Northern Swedish town with a lingering mystery that surrounds the Vangners' possession is overwhelming and well presented. Trent Reznor's music is just great in stressing the hideous danger that creeps literally out of everything: iMacs, forests, photographs, neat Swedish homes etc. The acting of Craig is good (and just that), while the critic appraisals for Mara's performance are justified -- she is truly mesmerizing as Lisbeth Salander, and her acting, in which she speaks more with her eyes than actually words, is fantastic. The director of photography and the editing team did also a great job: fast-changing scenes truly capture all the necessary elements, gestures, and moments. What are you waiting for? Go watch it! Expand
  75. Jan 29, 2012
    This movie exceeds my expectations of my all-time favorite book. When seeing it, I was worried that it would be a rehashed clone of the Swedish hit movie, but, to my delight, I was wrong. Once the opening credits started, I knew I was in for the ride of my life. This movie, led by supreme acting by Mara Rooney, is artistic and moody. It is deeply disturbing, and does not shy away from its dark subject matter. The only complaint I can say is that for a movie set in Sweden, the accents are from all over the world. Daniel Craig never drops his British accent, and even Stellan Skarsgard lacks a Swedish accent. Only Mara Rooney embraces the role completely, and takes the movie from a good movie and ensures it to be a mind-blowing movie. Expand
  76. Jan 28, 2012
    Undoubtedly, the best motion picture of the year. Besides the great screenplay and perfect music it has magnificent view in every moment. Outstanding performance of Rooney Mara made this film. It is more than thriller, more than drama. It is the whole life in the one film.
  77. Jan 28, 2012
    De la part de David Fincher, réalisateur de Se7en, j'en attendais beaucoup de ce remake américain et seconde adaptation de l'oeuvre de Stieg Larsson, à commencer par un travail soigné au niveau de l'atmosphère. L'envie de voir un véritable chef-d'oeuvre qui s'est confirmée dès le (sublime) générique de début, ce dernier nous mettant immédiatement dans l'ambiance. D'accord, il n'y a pas trop de prises de risques, du fait que l'ensemble reste fidèle à l'esprit du livre. Mais ce remake se montre bien plus imposant que son prédécesseur suédo-danois. Il faut dire que le casting est de qualité, au point qu'on laisse de côté les acteurs originaux (Rooney Mara remplaçant sans mal la pourtant excellente Noomi Rapace); que l'ambiance du film est au-delà de mes espérances car étant prenante, dérangeante et palpitante (grâce aux effets sonores et à la BO); que le scénario est légèrement différent (question détails); et que l'on ne s'ennuit pas une seule seconde pendant 2h38. Bref, une réussite! Expand
  78. Jan 28, 2012
    out of DETECTIVE movies...sherlock holmes, tinker and Dragon tattoo..this one is the best by far...will keep you guessing and the chilly baltic sea locales will keep you extra chilled.
  79. Jan 26, 2012
    I was a little disappointed with this. I'm a huge Fincher fan, recently The Social Network really surprised me considering it's dull subject matter, and I was constantly on the edge of my seat.

This however, I found fairly dull. The payoffs were pretty week, the casting rather dry. I found the score lacking at times, and far more of it was predictable than should've been. The
    relationship was poorly developed, and it's not something I'd recommend to either Hollywood fans, or fans of good cinema. It wasn't a bad movie at all, but it just wasn't particularly remarkable in any way. Expand
  80. Jan 25, 2012
    Having viewed the Swedish Millennium Trilogy, I have newfound respect for Fincher and Zallian's Dragon Tattoo film. It's impeccably shot(as expected), but I think they made many good choices as it relates to improving the source material(cinematically speaking). I even think they improved the latter narrative and suspense in most cases. The trouble with the Dragon Tattoo movie is the pacing between Salander and Blomvquist; it's jumpy and at times unnecessarily speedy. It also tries to much to adhere to the source material, when I think they could have made a few more changes and cranked up the 2 hrs and 44 minutes into some more meaty details regarding the plot. I hope they radically change films two and three if the trilogy is going to be remade. The Swedish/Danish production falls flat by film 3 in a big way, and Lisbeth Salander character deserves a better story. Expand
  81. Jan 24, 2012
    Funny... as opposed to most people who've seen Girl with the D..T..., I felt it was trite and somewhat stupid. A Silence of the Lambs knock-off. The "out of country" feel calculated to pander to an insular American audience' sense that "they been somewhere else." In other words, if you juice up the beautiful Swedish landscapes with a lot of violence and sadism -- it's a SALE! Lord knows, those Hollywood marketeers know their sheis. Really! Nazis... why didn't they just make them Nazis AND zombies?! And the secret room... wooooooo! I'm sure they got a lot of that in Sweden. The parts of the movie that had any relationship to reality, no one would believe. And of course, the quintessential evil male -- what modern movie would be complete without him? And of course, to pander (there's that word again) to the innate (and base I might add) human tendency towards self-righteous violence -- we must first:
    1. Add unbidden violence on undeserving victim
    2. Next, ensure unbidden violence emanates from stereotyped group
    3. Unleash righteous wrath of "victim" - whom incidentally does things just as bad or worse than original crime - but makes _you_ feel GOOD! ("because he deserved it).
    Thus, you, the public are made worse than an animal, because you know there's always someone to hate who is worse than you.
    And what's with the tattoos anyway? So passe.
  82. Jan 24, 2012
    Hell yeah this is the type of movie that I like to watch on Christmas. I have never read the book but saw the Swedish version of the film. This was hands down my second favorite movie last year. Rooney, Rooney! See was flat out great. I hope she wins the Oscar for all the stuff she had to learn and for powerhouse performance that made me scared of her. Can't wait for the next two.
  83. Jan 23, 2012
    This movie was amazing it was a great, dark, mysterious film. David fincher knows his stuff. When the trailer came out I knew immediately I was going to see it even though I knew nothing about it. It pulled off its longness really well to, you didnt feel like it was dragging on forever. I don't know why this hasn't been getting as much love as other movies, It was freakin awesome! Go watch it! It's pretty close to a perfect movie! Expand
  84. Jan 22, 2012
    Well this movie, pretty much answers any cynics that it could never top the original. The director pretty much did not care and gave the movie a personality that makes an almost perfect thriller. It's weird that the changes from the original movie and the source of it all, make this a great movie, which is tidied up to focus on whose the killer rather than the bigger, more complicated picture. Craig and Plummer provide two great characters which are easy to like. Mara is great as well and provides a different side of Lisbeth than Repace. This movie can also sum up all of Fincher's work...this is how varied it all is. It could be almost perfect if it weren't for the final part. It opens up to the possibility of a trilogy and ends kind of stale, because the movie already climaxed and kind of doesn't want to end. Expand
  85. Jan 21, 2012
    I'll reiterate what others have said: this is a totally unnecessary remake of a much better Swedish film. Daniel Craig is a bore, the girl is merely adequate and this version is nowhere near as creepy as the Swedish version, which is available via streaming on Netflix. Director Fincher did much better in this genre with Se7en and Zodiac. Skip it!
  86. Jan 21, 2012
    I'm one of those snobs who feels like the original Swedish version was a little better. The first half of this version felt rushed while the latter half seemed extended--drawn out for every minute it was worth. I did think the casting was superb and was glad they didn't water down the sensitive parts for the American audience. All in all a solid effort.
  87. Jan 20, 2012
    As much as I adored the first, Swedish adaptation of Stieg Larsson's novel, I was intrigued, for once, by a big-budget Hollywood remake as soon as David Fincher was announced as director. A jet-black murder-mystery which analyses the darker aspects of human nature seemed the perfect project for the director of Fight Club and Zodiac to helm. In a lot of ways, Fincher doesn't disappoint. Like all his films, it looks great, flows well and keeps you engaged throughout. Rooney Mara is quite captivating as the new Lisbeth Salander, and smartly has a different interpretation of the character from the acclaimed performance of Noomi Rapace. Stellan Skarsgard and Christopher Plummer also impress as Henrik and Martin Vanger respectively, both either equalling or improving on the performances of their Swedish film counterparts Sven-Bertil Taube and Peter Haber. The rest of the cast are decent enough, apart from one extreme disappointment - Daniel Craig. He doesn't give a particularly bad performance as such, but is completely miscast as Mikael Blomkvist. Blomkvist should be an everyman - someone you wouldn't look twice at in the street, someone who's perhaps put on the pounds in recent years as he approaches middle age. You should not cast an international sex symbol as such a character, and the notion that Daniel Craig "gained weight" for the role is laughable - he still looks too lean and Bondlike to portray a slightly-past-his-prime journalist. There are some truly stunning sequences in the film, particularly the opening titles with accompanying cover version of Led Zepplin's 'Immigrant Song', which resembles a strange hybrid of a James Bond title sequence and a Marilyn Manson video, and sets the right tone for the film. The shots of the arctic Swedish landscapes are also stunning, and credit must be given to cinematographers Jeff Cronenweth and Fredrik Backar for complete mastery of their art. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross deliver another great soundtrack in their second collaboration with Fincher - their eerie, dark, electronica-driven music is perfect to reflect the personalities and state of mind of the numerous fractured, tortured souls we follow throughout the film. Also worth noting is a very unexpected and very clever use of Enya's Orinoco Flow in a key scene in the film - I won't spoil it for you, but suffice to say, the result is one of the funniest, yet most utterly terrifying film horror moments in recent memory.
    Unfortunately, despite all the undeniable talent on display, the result of this story getting the Hollywood treatment (something I truly hoped would be avoided) is it has been over-sentimentalised. The main body of the story is as dark, and in some cases darker than the original film, but as soon as the main plot has been wrapped up, Fincher unashamedly tags a slushy, romantic resolution onto the story. I liked the ambiguous ending of the original film - why, oh why, David, did you think it was necessary for Lisbeth to become open about her emotions? She's a deeply complex, damaged and disturbed individual who'll likely never be able to lead a normal life, yet you've completely bypassed that fact and shattered the illusion with a rather incongruous finale that wouldn't look out of place in a Richard Curtis movie. David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is good entertainment - dark, engaging and with some great performances, but the miscasting of Daniel Craig and some fundamental misjudgements in tone do ruin the magic a little. At the end of the day, it just isn't in the same league as Niels Arden Oplev's delightfully macabre original adaptation. Perhaps in the inevitable sequels, some of these issues can be addressed and improved upon, and I look forward to more of Rooney Mara's punky reinterpretation of Lisbeth, though sadly now we're stuck with Daniel Craig's simply wrong "Bond-kvist" for another two installments.
  88. Jan 18, 2012
    David Fincher never fails me, even including the underwhelming THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON (2008) (which I think I seriously need a re-watch), the American remake of THWTDT is as excellent as its Swedish archetype if not excels in every aspect. Karen Oâ
  89. Jan 15, 2012
    Well, I can't help comparing it to the sweedish version which I loved. I loved the first half of this one betterr but. Was just not as satisfied at the end I was confused with the last half hour, I need to see it again. Over all great movie and definetly worth seeing. Extremlygraphic and disturbing at times...be prepared.
  90. Jan 14, 2012
    The question is, would you rather watch an excellent David Fincher film or have the world's most passionate feminist scream in your face and then punch you in the stomach? You can have both here without the physical pain of course, but you better have something soft and warm to hug by the time the credits appear.
  91. Jan 14, 2012
    I was really disappointed by Fincher's remake. It pales in comparison to the Swedish version. I guess it would be acceptable if you haven't already been spoiled by the superiority of the original.
  92. Jan 14, 2012
    Woefully miscast, Daniel Craig is way too cool and confident for the character part and is one of the main negatives. The other is that the movie attempts to differentiate itself from the original mainly with a faster pace .. which is the general reason US movies suck when compared to European counterparts.
  93. Jan 13, 2012
    Although a negligible amount of minutes longer than the Swedish version, it has so many extra parts that are totally not necessary and detract from the main aspects of the film. I found the final act particularly dragging. The film was also too glossy for such a gritty story. That said, it is still a decent film due to the source material and overall good acting
  94. Jan 12, 2012
    Stylish, Intense and interesting. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an excellent film made by very talented film makers. Although there were a few things that were missing from the original, I found this version more enjoyable and entertaining and many important aspects of the film were explored deeper. The central character of Lisbeth is a fleshed out more and I felt I got to know the character better. The pay off to the intense scenes are also more rewarding. Perhaps the movie went 15minutes too long but it didn't worry me too much as I enjoyed the character so much. Be prepared for some intense graphic scenes but there is a point to it all. Recommended. Expand
  95. Jan 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is an incredible movie. Having seen the original Swedish version of the movie I was able to compare them both. Both takes on Lisbeth Salander are amazing and each actress brings something a little different to the role that's one of the most difficult characters to play in any movie in a while. The U.S. version of the film is more stylish and clean than the original - the opening credits play like a James Bond opener complete with a cover of a Led Zeppelin song by the always awesome Karen O. In addition, Fincher adds an extra 20 minutes to the movie after the big climax that work perfectly to extend on Lisbeth as a character. While this also works as a more elaborate ending wind-down than the original, I agree with the critic that said that neither movie is superior to the other as they compliment each other very well and ultimately make for an even more solid understanding and likability of the story and characters. That being said, you don't have to have seen the original to enjoy this movie. It's still hard not to get wrapped up in the mysterious case until the very end and find compassion for Lisbeth as the movie unfolds. But while there are so many good things about the movie just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into by seeing it - there are multiple scenes that are difficult to watch but are equally as necessary to the story... maybe not the dismembered cat, though. But once you get passed the darker scenes what you're left with is an incredible story and film with gifted actors and actresses portraying characters who, regardless of appearance, prove to be incredibly human. Rooney Mara's take on Lisbeth is easily the standout of the film as she brings a needed vulnerability to the role but commands your attention every time she's on screen - I couldn't take my eyes off her. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that it'll be very hard to find any complaints with David Fincher's take on 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo'. It's easily worth seeing again and I can't wait for the much-needed sequels in the, hopefully, near future. Expand
  96. Jan 11, 2012
    I don't think this is as good as the original Swedish version but it is not a bad remake. The problem for me was that once you've seen Noomi Rapace in the role of Lisbeth Salander you realize that her performance just cannot be improved upon.
    Incidentally I thought Apple products were a little bit too prominent in that movie and I say this as an Apple user myself.
  97. Jan 11, 2012
    Not nearly as dark as Id hoped, but a really great movie regardless. I can't wait to read the novel, which as always I hear is better. Someone said this is a remake of a foreign film; I saw this one on a lark with a friend the other day - had no idea!
  98. Jan 10, 2012
    The movie wasn't perfect, but it was good. The actors were amazing and Lisbeth Salander came to life in my opinion. At first I thought a lot of the book was left out, but if you have read the book you can tell why a lo was left out, yet the movie was still almost three hours. See it.

1. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Dec 22, 2011
    Has much to recommend it - high-end craftsmanship, a singular heroine, a labyrinthine mystery, an intriguing milieu - yet lacks a vital spark.
    David Fincher's American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo adds nothing to the previous adaptation, but it's certainly the more evocative piece of filmmaking.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Dec 22, 2011
    From him (Fincher), we get – what? – a faithful adaptation that brings the dazzle but shortchanges on the daring.