7.7

1. Nov 29, 2011
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is one of the finest examples of a thrilling murder-mystery ever committed to film. The storytelling is fluid and engaging, the script tight and the dramatic performances superb. The film explores the darkest, most depraved aspects of human nature, and astutely questions our commonly held beliefs about mental illness, morality and redemption. It's a real testament to the skills of leads Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace that they manage to bring such complex, layered characters to life on the big screen, and they make a great double-act, smartly playing off each others' performances to add greater depth and believability to their roles. It's also a mark of a great director in Niels Arden Oplev that he keeps the story focussed, and manages to maintain the momentum of the film throughout its 150 minute run-time. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is simply superb - it's smart, energetic, well-crafted and utterly enthralling. The American remake is on the horizon, and while I'm intrigued by any project with David Fincher at the helm, I'm also a little dubious, because there's no way a remake can be this good. Expand
  2. Jan 8, 2012
    This is a good mystery with an excellent human story that imprints itself onto the viewer in ways that have never been done before. Noomi Rapace nails her role and far exceeds what most american actresses are capable of, especially in a physical sense. Cinematics in this movie are good and the locations are adequate. This movie is not amped up in any Hollywood way, it just focuses on the who-dunnit story and the book's characters. Specific details created for the characters and world they live by the book's author are truly unique and come alive through dedicated actors. I appreciated the detail and uniqueness of this movie a lot and would watch it again. Who needs an amped up Hollywood version when all you really need is Noomi Rapace?!! A. Expand
  3. Aug 22, 2010
    La adaptación del primer tomo de la trilogía Millenum es un sólido filme de género que le hace justicia a los inquietantes temas que subyacen en el best-seller de Stieg Larsson. Especialmente, a la provocadora idea que tras su fachada liberal/social-demócrata/primer-mundista, la sociedad sueca contemporánea tiene muchos secretos escondidos, literalmente, en sus sótanos. Collapse
  4. Apr 24, 2011
    The perfect thriller. It proves you don't need that much money to make a good film, only good ideas and talent. I read there is an American remake going on, but it is almost sure they will destroy the Swedish film just like what happened with "Let me in".
  5. Dec 20, 2010
    Girl missing for 40 years, head of family asks journalist to find her, journalist under investigation, gets help from unexpected source, dark secrets unveiled.
    Film version of Stieg Larsson's amazing book & transformed very well with the whole cold yet beautiful winter Swedish setting drawing you in from the start.
    Excellent casting with Noomi Rapace standing out as Salander & Michael
    Nyqvist putting in a good turn as Blomkvist.
    The film does miss quite a bit out of the book but pulls off the scenes competently (the darker ones are quite harrowing) & I'm looking forward to the second part.
  6. Feb 9, 2011
    An interesting and original story. Entertaining from beginning to end, and ultimately very satisfying and unpredictable. Have not seen teh sequals yet, but I have a feeling this is the best one
  7. Nov 25, 2010
    Love this movie. This is a really good movie. I don't even like movies with subtitle but I don't mind reading the subtitles for this movie. One of the best movie of the year. I didn't read the books. I want to read the books now. I hope the Us version be as good as this one.I think everyone should own a copy of this movie.
  8. j30
    Jan 30, 2012
    This film is by far the best in the Swedish trilogy of films. The atmosphere/mood of the movie is really dark and some of the scenes are very hard to sit through. What makes the movie worth sitting through this kind of material (and the whole trilogy) is Noomi Rapace (who should have been nominated for an Oscar). Her excellent performance of the tortured hero, Lisbeth Salander, is movie magic and will be talked about for years to come. Expand
  9. Feb 14, 2013
    The Swedish film, based off of the late Steig Larsson's first book in his Millennium series, is a wonderful beginning to a trilogy of cinema. It is easily seen as a successful task of turning a work of literature into film. It has done Larsson's books a great justice!

It is dark, curious, brooding, violent, and thrilling. The settings of the film's scenes were unimaginably dead-on from
    the book. The character casting and cinematography are astonishing.

The financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist, played by Michael Nyqvist, is a mix of wit, steadfastness, and even a edge of humor. He is intelligent, and pairs well with the bright and dynamic Lisbeth.

Lisbeth Salander, played by Noomi Rapace, was casted wonderfully if not perfectly. Her edge, look, and body language really brought life to the character of Lisbeth. Lisbeth's past has set her present and maybe even future in the unsteady hands of the corrupt. The two stories of Blomkvist and Salander stand aside, overlap, intertwine, and come together in a wonderful pace. A 40-year old crime is dropped in the lap of Blomkvist to decipher once and for all contending with his own battles in the eyes of politics and financial journalism. Salander, the reserved technology-driven hacker, whom is assigned cases by a security company, is researching Blomkvist. Her life, ruled by her hard past and difficult present, draws you in and doesn't let you go. The two characters come to work together and take on a heavy journey of murders, misogyny, mental illness, revenge, and corruption.

1. Reviewed by: Tim Cogshell
    A dark and brooding story that only gets more disturbing over the course its 152 minute runtime.
  2. The result is a character-driven mystery of considerable emotional power, often harrowing and always compelling.
  3. Reviewed by: Boyd Van Hoeij
    More of an action-light whodunit than a real thriller, and more of a CliffsNotes version than a deeply disturbing portrait of what's wrong with contempo Sweden.