7.7

1. JimE.
    Apr 25, 2010
    The film is a tribute to the author, screen-writer, and the difficult task of turning a compelling work of literature into film-art. I am please to see that the northern European artists (director, screenwriter, etc.) are nuanced and understated, as opposed to an American production which would have prescribed 1) a "hottie", 2) a "hunk", 3) the seeroe-typical narcissistic attorney, and 4) The film is a tribute to the author, screen-writer, and the difficult task of turning a compelling work of literature into film-art. I am please to see that the northern European artists (director, screenwriter, etc.) are nuanced and understated, as opposed to an American production which would have prescribed 1) a "hottie", 2) a "hunk", 3) the seeroe-typical narcissistic attorney, and 4) a Daddy Warbucks business executive. Bottom line; I enjoyed it. Expand
  2. JohnR.
    Apr 17, 2010
    This is a powerful, intelligent and convincing film, well worth the difficult moments. Please be forewarned: there is a very difficult scene early on. As it was happening I considered leaving the theatre, it was so strongly done. Staying was totally worth it, and the scene is not gratuitous: it is key to the Dragon girl's character, but it is a tough one to watch.
  3. Nov 29, 2011
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is one of the finest examples of a thrilling murder-mystery ever committed to film. The storytelling is fluid and engaging, the script tight and the dramatic performances superb. The film explores the darkest, most depraved aspects of human nature, and astutely questions our commonly held beliefs about mental illness, morality and redemption. It's a realThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is one of the finest examples of a thrilling murder-mystery ever committed to film. The storytelling is fluid and engaging, the script tight and the dramatic performances superb. The film explores the darkest, most depraved aspects of human nature, and astutely questions our commonly held beliefs about mental illness, morality and redemption. It's a real testament to the skills of leads Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace that they manage to bring such complex, layered characters to life on the big screen, and they make a great double-act, smartly playing off each others' performances to add greater depth and believability to their roles. It's also a mark of a great director in Niels Arden Oplev that he keeps the story focussed, and manages to maintain the momentum of the film throughout its 150 minute run-time. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is simply superb - it's smart, energetic, well-crafted and utterly enthralling. The American remake is on the horizon, and while I'm intrigued by any project with David Fincher at the helm, I'm also a little dubious, because there's no way a remake can be this good. Expand
  4. Jan 8, 2012
    This is a good mystery with an excellent human story that imprints itself onto the viewer in ways that have never been done before. Noomi Rapace nails her role and far exceeds what most american actresses are capable of, especially in a physical sense. Cinematics in this movie are good and the locations are adequate. This movie is not amped up in any Hollywood way, it just focuses on theThis is a good mystery with an excellent human story that imprints itself onto the viewer in ways that have never been done before. Noomi Rapace nails her role and far exceeds what most american actresses are capable of, especially in a physical sense. Cinematics in this movie are good and the locations are adequate. This movie is not amped up in any Hollywood way, it just focuses on the who-dunnit story and the book's characters. Specific details created for the characters and world they live by the book's author are truly unique and come alive through dedicated actors. I appreciated the detail and uniqueness of this movie a lot and would watch it again. Who needs an amped up Hollywood version when all you really need is Noomi Rapace?!! A. Expand
  5. D.O.
    Mar 31, 2010
    This movie has a great central character. The direction is taut and builds with a lot of authority, like late Hitchcock. It has a European sensibility, like Ghostwriter, which finds corruption and fascism beneath the placid veneer of social democracy. The lead performances are award level. Go see this movie before the Hollywood ruins it with a remake starring people like Natalie Portman This movie has a great central character. The direction is taut and builds with a lot of authority, like late Hitchcock. It has a European sensibility, like Ghostwriter, which finds corruption and fascism beneath the placid veneer of social democracy. The lead performances are award level. Go see this movie before the Hollywood ruins it with a remake starring people like Natalie Portman and Matthew McConaughey. Expand
  6. Feb 9, 2011
    An interesting and original story. Entertaining from beginning to end, and ultimately very satisfying and unpredictable. Have not seen teh sequals yet, but I have a feeling this is the best one
  7. JerryC.
    Mar 20, 2010
    What an incredible movie. The acting is superb, the settings were perfect, and the story - holy crap - incredible. I hear that they're going to to a remake for American audiences. Why??? This movie really is close to perfect. What American actress is going to pull of that lead role?? It's like La Femme Nikita all over again. Is Bridgette Fonda available anyone???
  8. LenY
    Mar 28, 2010
    I've read the entire trilogy and wondered how they would do the books justice in a film. Well, this film has done it--the mood, the violence (the book, too, is deeply violent), the complex story line made comprehensible but not dumbed down, and of course, the inspired casting of Rapace as Lisbeth Salander. A great film adaptation. I can't wait for the next two movies to be I've read the entire trilogy and wondered how they would do the books justice in a film. Well, this film has done it--the mood, the violence (the book, too, is deeply violent), the complex story line made comprehensible but not dumbed down, and of course, the inspired casting of Rapace as Lisbeth Salander. A great film adaptation. I can't wait for the next two movies to be released in the U.S., as they have been in Europe. Don't miss this one. Expand
  9. JayL.
    Mar 20, 2010
    Better than the book. Exciting performace by Noomi Rapace as Lisabeth.
  10. DForbes
    Apr 18, 2010
    Excellent movie!!! There is violence , yes, but it is not gratuist violence. Intriguing story line and characters - kept me on the edge of my seat throught the movie. I highly recommed it -and will be reading the books! Excellent movie! 18 A in Canada.
  11. CMiles
    Apr 30, 2010
    I have not yet read the books of Stieg Larsson but after watching this film I felt compelled to go and by them all. This is one of the best pieces of cinema I have seen in a long time, it is brutal and disturbing, and I felt at times I should look away from the screen. but it is so intellectually and thoughtfully put together it turns into a fantastic piece of film.
  12. DallasT.
    Apr 9, 2010
    Very good movie. The 2.5 hours go by and you don't want it to stop. There is more going on in this movie than there is in 3 regular movies. If you have any interest then just go see it before reading anything else about it. The less you know, the better.
  13. FredR.
    Mar 27, 2010
    Compelling thriller. Could have lost the business of the journo's opening conviction and closing redemption against the evil industrialist. The main story, about the Vanger's is all that really matters. Losing the subplot would have cut 20min. or so from run time and made it a bigger hit, which it deserves to be. I loved Rapace as Lisbeth. There should be more female characters Compelling thriller. Could have lost the business of the journo's opening conviction and closing redemption against the evil industrialist. The main story, about the Vanger's is all that really matters. Losing the subplot would have cut 20min. or so from run time and made it a bigger hit, which it deserves to be. I loved Rapace as Lisbeth. There should be more female characters like hers. Smart, sexy, powerful. Expand
  14. HW
    Apr 18, 2010
    As for the Dargis review, remember the old adage, revised: those who can, do; those who can't, do movie reviews. The film is compelling, particularly for those who've read the book.
  15. Aug 22, 2010
    La adaptación del primer tomo de la trilogía Millenum es un sólido filme de género que le hace justicia a los inquietantes temas que subyacen en el best-seller de Stieg Larsson. Especialmente, a la provocadora idea que tras su fachada liberal/social-demócrata/primer-mundista, la sociedad sueca contemporáneaLa adaptación del primer tomo de la trilogía Millenum es un sólido filme de género que le hace justicia a los inquietantes temas que subyacen en el best-seller de Stieg Larsson. Especialmente, a la provocadora idea que tras su fachada liberal/social-demócrata/primer-mundista, la sociedad sueca contemporánea tiene muchos secretos escondidos, literalmente, en sus sótanos. Expand
  16. Apr 24, 2011
    The perfect thriller. It proves you don't need that much money to make a good film, only good ideas and talent. I read there is an American remake going on, but it is almost sure they will destroy the Swedish film just like what happened with "Let me in".
  17. Dec 20, 2010
    Girl missing for 40 years, head of family asks journalist to find her, journalist under investigation, gets help from unexpected source, dark secrets unveiled.
    Film version of Stieg Larsson's amazing book & transformed very well with the whole cold yet beautiful winter Swedish setting drawing you in from the start.
    Excellent casting with Noomi Rapace standing out as Salander & Michael
    Excellent casting with Noomi Rapace standing out as Salander & Michael Nyqvist putting in a good turn as Blomkvist.
    The film does miss quite a bit out of the book but pulls off the scenes competently (the darker ones are quite harrowing) & I'm looking forward to the second part.
  18. Nov 25, 2010
    Love this movie. This is a really good movie. I don't even like movies with subtitle but I don't mind reading the subtitles for this movie. One of the best movie of the year. I didn't read the books. I want to read the books now. I hope the Us version be as good as this one.I think everyone should own a copy of this movie.
  19. j30
    Jan 30, 2012
    This film is by far the best in the Swedish trilogy of films. The atmosphere/mood of the movie is really dark and some of the scenes are very hard to sit through. What makes the movie worth sitting through this kind of material (and the whole trilogy) is Noomi Rapace (who should have been nominated for an Oscar). Her excellent performance of the tortured hero, Lisbeth Salander, is movieThis film is by far the best in the Swedish trilogy of films. The atmosphere/mood of the movie is really dark and some of the scenes are very hard to sit through. What makes the movie worth sitting through this kind of material (and the whole trilogy) is Noomi Rapace (who should have been nominated for an Oscar). Her excellent performance of the tortured hero, Lisbeth Salander, is movie magic and will be talked about for years to come. Expand
  20. Feb 14, 2013
    The Swedish film, based off of the late Steig Larsson's first book in his Millennium series, is a wonderful beginning to a trilogy of cinema. It is easily seen as a successful task of turning a work of literature into film. It has done Larsson's books a great justice!

It is dark, curious, brooding, violent, and thrilling. The settings of the film's scenes were unimaginably dead-on from the book. The character casting and cinematography are astonishing.

The financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist, played by Michael Nyqvist, is a mix of wit, steadfastness, and even a edge of humor. He is intelligent, and pairs well with the bright and dynamic Lisbeth.

Lisbeth Salander, played by Noomi Rapace, was casted wonderfully if not perfectly. Her edge, look, and body language really brought life to the character of Lisbeth. Lisbeth's past has set her present and maybe even future in the unsteady hands of the corrupt. The two stories of Blomkvist and Salander stand aside, overlap, intertwine, and come together in a wonderful pace. A 40-year old crime is dropped in the lap of Blomkvist to decipher once and for all contending with his own battles in the eyes of politics and financial journalism. Salander, the reserved technology-driven hacker, whom is assigned cases by a security company, is researching Blomkvist. Her life, ruled by her hard past and difficult present, draws you in and doesn't let you go. The two characters come to work together and take on a heavy journey of murders, misogyny, mental illness, revenge, and corruption.
  21. Nov 6, 2014
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a gripping, shocking thriller. It has amazing performances by Rapace and Nyqvist, a rich, superbly written script, and some of the most graphic torture and rape scenes you will ever see in mainstream cinema. This one of the best films to come out of Sweden in the last 10 years.

1. Reviewed by: Tim Cogshell
    A dark and brooding story that only gets more disturbing over the course its 152 minute runtime.
  2. The result is a character-driven mystery of considerable emotional power, often harrowing and always compelling.
  3. Reviewed by: Boyd Van Hoeij
    More of an action-light whodunit than a real thriller, and more of a CliffsNotes version than a deeply disturbing portrait of what's wrong with contempo Sweden.