The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

7.7

1. JerryC.
    Mar 20, 2010
    What an incredible movie. The acting is superb, the settings were perfect, and the story - holy crap - incredible. I hear that they're going to to a remake for American audiences. Why??? This movie really is close to perfect. What American actress is going to pull of that lead role?? It's like La Femme Nikita all over again. Is Bridgette Fonda available anyone???
  2. LenY
    Mar 28, 2010
    I've read the entire trilogy and wondered how they would do the books justice in a film. Well, this film has done it--the mood, the violence (the book, too, is deeply violent), the complex story line made comprehensible but not dumbed down, and of course, the inspired casting of Rapace as Lisbeth Salander. A great film adaptation. I can't wait for the next two movies to be I've read the entire trilogy and wondered how they would do the books justice in a film. Well, this film has done it--the mood, the violence (the book, too, is deeply violent), the complex story line made comprehensible but not dumbed down, and of course, the inspired casting of Rapace as Lisbeth Salander. A great film adaptation. I can't wait for the next two movies to be released in the U.S., as they have been in Europe. Don't miss this one. Expand
  3. JayL.
    Mar 20, 2010
    Better than the book. Exciting performace by Noomi Rapace as Lisabeth.
  4. DForbes
    Apr 18, 2010
    Excellent movie!!! There is violence , yes, but it is not gratuist violence. Intriguing story line and characters - kept me on the edge of my seat throught the movie. I highly recommed it -and will be reading the books! Excellent movie! 18 A in Canada.
  5. Nancy
    Apr 21, 2010
    I haven't read the book but was curious enough about it that I decided to check out the movie. The violent scenes were definitely unpleasant (I did have to cover my eyes at a couple of points), but I really enjoyed the acting, particularly the two leads, whom I quite enjoyed watching. The scenery was great and I will definitely read the book after this. Now THAT is somethiong I could I haven't read the book but was curious enough about it that I decided to check out the movie. The violent scenes were definitely unpleasant (I did have to cover my eyes at a couple of points), but I really enjoyed the acting, particularly the two leads, whom I quite enjoyed watching. The scenery was great and I will definitely read the book after this. Now THAT is somethiong I could never say about a Hollywood adaptation. Expand
  6. CMiles
    Apr 30, 2010
    I have not yet read the books of Stieg Larsson but after watching this film I felt compelled to go and by them all. This is one of the best pieces of cinema I have seen in a long time, it is brutal and disturbing, and I felt at times I should look away from the screen. but it is so intellectually and thoughtfully put together it turns into a fantastic piece of film.
  7. DallasT.
    Apr 9, 2010
    Very good movie. The 2.5 hours go by and you don't want it to stop. There is more going on in this movie than there is in 3 regular movies. If you have any interest then just go see it before reading anything else about it. The less you know, the better.
  8. FredR.
    Mar 27, 2010
    Compelling thriller. Could have lost the business of the journo's opening conviction and closing redemption against the evil industrialist. The main story, about the Vanger's is all that really matters. Losing the subplot would have cut 20min. or so from run time and made it a bigger hit, which it deserves to be. I loved Rapace as Lisbeth. There should be more female characters Compelling thriller. Could have lost the business of the journo's opening conviction and closing redemption against the evil industrialist. The main story, about the Vanger's is all that really matters. Losing the subplot would have cut 20min. or so from run time and made it a bigger hit, which it deserves to be. I loved Rapace as Lisbeth. There should be more female characters like hers. Smart, sexy, powerful. Expand
  9. D.O.
    Mar 31, 2010
    This movie has a great central character. The direction is taut and builds with a lot of authority, like late Hitchcock. It has a European sensibility, like Ghostwriter, which finds corruption and fascism beneath the placid veneer of social democracy. The lead performances are award level. Go see this movie before the Hollywood ruins it with a remake starring people like Natalie Portman This movie has a great central character. The direction is taut and builds with a lot of authority, like late Hitchcock. It has a European sensibility, like Ghostwriter, which finds corruption and fascism beneath the placid veneer of social democracy. The lead performances are award level. Go see this movie before the Hollywood ruins it with a remake starring people like Natalie Portman and Matthew McConaughey. Expand
  10. JohnR.
    Apr 17, 2010
    This is a powerful, intelligent and convincing film, well worth the difficult moments. Please be forewarned: there is a very difficult scene early on. As it was happening I considered leaving the theatre, it was so strongly done. Staying was totally worth it, and the scene is not gratuitous: it is key to the Dragon girl's character, but it is a tough one to watch.
  11. HW
    Apr 18, 2010
    As for the Dargis review, remember the old adage, revised: those who can, do; those who can't, do movie reviews. The film is compelling, particularly for those who've read the book.
  12. JimE.
    Apr 25, 2010
    The film is a tribute to the author, screen-writer, and the difficult task of turning a compelling work of literature into film-art. I am please to see that the northern European artists (director, screenwriter, etc.) are nuanced and understated, as opposed to an American production which would have prescribed 1) a "hottie", 2) a "hunk", 3) the seeroe-typical narcissistic attorney, and 4) The film is a tribute to the author, screen-writer, and the difficult task of turning a compelling work of literature into film-art. I am please to see that the northern European artists (director, screenwriter, etc.) are nuanced and understated, as opposed to an American production which would have prescribed 1) a "hottie", 2) a "hunk", 3) the seeroe-typical narcissistic attorney, and 4) a Daddy Warbucks business executive. Bottom line; I enjoyed it. Expand
  13. Aug 22, 2010
    La adaptación del primer tomo de la trilogía Millenum es un sólido filme de género que le hace justicia a los inquietantes temas que subyacen en el best-seller de Stieg Larsson. Especialmente, a la provocadora idea que tras su fachada liberal/social-demócrata/primer-mundista, la sociedad sueca contemporáneaLa adaptación del primer tomo de la trilogía Millenum es un sólido filme de género que le hace justicia a los inquietantes temas que subyacen en el best-seller de Stieg Larsson. Especialmente, a la provocadora idea que tras su fachada liberal/social-demócrata/primer-mundista, la sociedad sueca contemporánea tiene muchos secretos escondidos, literalmente, en sus sótanos. Expand
  14. Apr 24, 2011
    The perfect thriller. It proves you don't need that much money to make a good film, only good ideas and talent. I read there is an American remake going on, but it is almost sure they will destroy the Swedish film just like what happened with "Let me in".
  15. Dec 20, 2010
    Girl missing for 40 years, head of family asks journalist to find her, journalist under investigation, gets help from unexpected source, dark secrets unveiled.
    Film version of Stieg Larsson's amazing book & transformed very well with the whole cold yet beautiful winter Swedish setting drawing you in from the start.
    Excellent casting with Noomi Rapace standing out as Salander & Michael
    Excellent casting with Noomi Rapace standing out as Salander & Michael Nyqvist putting in a good turn as Blomkvist.
    The film does miss quite a bit out of the book but pulls off the scenes competently (the darker ones are quite harrowing) & I'm looking forward to the second part.
  16. Jan 10, 2012
    A great film, although hard to watch at times. A highly effective thriller with great pace and plotting, i did not even notice the 150 odd minutes running time. This is not the Sweden of Abba, this is more of a nordic black metal number
  17. Feb 9, 2011
    An interesting and original story. Entertaining from beginning to end, and ultimately very satisfying and unpredictable. Have not seen teh sequals yet, but I have a feeling this is the best one
  18. Jan 8, 2012
    This is a good mystery with an excellent human story that imprints itself onto the viewer in ways that have never been done before. Noomi Rapace nails her role and far exceeds what most american actresses are capable of, especially in a physical sense. Cinematics in this movie are good and the locations are adequate. This movie is not amped up in any Hollywood way, it just focuses on theThis is a good mystery with an excellent human story that imprints itself onto the viewer in ways that have never been done before. Noomi Rapace nails her role and far exceeds what most american actresses are capable of, especially in a physical sense. Cinematics in this movie are good and the locations are adequate. This movie is not amped up in any Hollywood way, it just focuses on the who-dunnit story and the book's characters. Specific details created for the characters and world they live by the book's author are truly unique and come alive through dedicated actors. I appreciated the detail and uniqueness of this movie a lot and would watch it again. Who needs an amped up Hollywood version when all you really need is Noomi Rapace?!! A. Expand
  19. Nov 25, 2010
    Love this movie. This is a really good movie. I don't even like movies with subtitle but I don't mind reading the subtitles for this movie. One of the best movie of the year. I didn't read the books. I want to read the books now. I hope the Us version be as good as this one.I think everyone should own a copy of this movie.
  20. Dec 1, 2010
    I'm pretty sure some of you have read the book or even the whole series. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo features a violent, but gripping performance from Noomi Rapace that is unforgettable. The book (another different review) is one of the best books I've read. With great details and gruesome descriptions, it still an awesome crime novel that you won't put down. Even though the bookI'm pretty sure some of you have read the book or even the whole series. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo features a violent, but gripping performance from Noomi Rapace that is unforgettable. The book (another different review) is one of the best books I've read. With great details and gruesome descriptions, it still an awesome crime novel that you won't put down. Even though the book features more details and better than the movie, the film still satisfies me with great performances and accurate details of the book itself. Expand
  21. Jan 20, 2011
    The Novelist, Stieg Larsson died in 2004, where none of his MILLENNIUM trilogy has been published yet. There was a tragic story that I found behind the making of those books. When Larsson was 15 years old, he witnessed the gang rape of a young girl. He never forgave himself for failing to help that poor girl at that time. The girl name was Lisbeth. Thiz movie is the first adaptation ofThe Novelist, Stieg Larsson died in 2004, where none of his MILLENNIUM trilogy has been published yet. There was a tragic story that I found behind the making of those books. When Larsson was 15 years old, he witnessed the gang rape of a young girl. He never forgave himself for failing to help that poor girl at that time. The girl name was Lisbeth. Thiz movie is the first adaptation of those trilogy books. Sometimes, I found myself enjoying so much pleasure by watching European movies like thiz Scandinavian movie. The movie fills with splendid Cinematoraphy. I had ever thought that High Definition (HD) Camera would not be able to accomplishing thiz kind of remarkable views. I was wrong, many nowadays Director are still able to create a great nuance with precise treatment through their HD Cameras, sometimes even better. The movie directed by Niels Arden Oplev. The story tells about the troubled journalist Mikael Blomkvist has to work side by side with a genius punk-goth Hacker, Lisbeth Salander in order to solve a mystery about a missing young girl named Harriet, for the event that had been occurred 40 years ago, as the demand of a billionaire industrialist, Henrik Vanger. I have to mention that Sven-Bertil Taube has made a solid performance as Henrik Vanger. Michael Niqvist is very convincing to create his dual-side character as Mikael Blomkvist. And surely, the most memorable performance is belongs to Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander. I realize that those characters are so difficult to play (especially the two main characters, Blomkvist and Salander) bcoz of their complicated backgrounds. I simply called thiz movie as: Classic thriller with Modern contents. Classic which is making us pay attention to clue by clue to get closer to the hidden villain. It is what Classic thrillers do. Modern which is flooding with audacious elements, such as: The anti-hero characters, ironical sexual abuse scene, unusual moral conflict and many more. I heard that next year, they are remaking thiz movie into Hollywood version. My opinion is: do not expect too much, although The Director will be David Fincher, who is capable to translate dark tone into intriguing crime thrillers like thiz, he has already proved that through SE7EN (1995), FIGHT CLUB (1999), and THE ZODIAC (2005). The newest James Bond, Daniel Craig will be cast as Mikael Blomkvist and Rooney Mara (THE SOCIAL NETWORK (2010)) will be playing as Lisbeth. I think no matter how hard they will try. Thiz Swedish movie has already set up the bar so high and seems undefeated at thiz time.

Visit My Blog on JONNYâ
  22. Jan 18, 2011
    "They sure don't make 'em like this in Hollywood." That was my thought after I had calmly settled into the film, only to be jolted awake at the sight of what could be the most graphic rape/sexual violence scene I've witnessed in major cinema. It wasn't enough to make my stomach turn, but my female companion certainly wasn't too comfortable with what was going on. Later in the film, I got"They sure don't make 'em like this in Hollywood." That was my thought after I had calmly settled into the film, only to be jolted awake at the sight of what could be the most graphic rape/sexual violence scene I've witnessed in major cinema. It wasn't enough to make my stomach turn, but my female companion certainly wasn't too comfortable with what was going on. Later in the film, I got my own taste of that feeling. Because if The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo offers anything, sexual/graphic violence are at the top of the list.

Okay, if you're still reading, this could be a film you would enjoy. The movie is a Swedish production (English subtitles) and is an adaptation of the first book in author Stieg Larsson's award-winning series. From what I gather, the film remains extremely faithful to the book, all the way to a nearly two and a half hour run time. The story is quite twisted and is rather well woven with many layers. The main plot revolves around a hot-shot reporter who has fallen on hard times (read: going to prison because he's been found guilty of libel) and is now hired by a dying old man to find his niece that has been missing for 40 years. Pretty standard stuff, until the pieces begin falling into place, and we learn that the main suspects are all family members. Then all bets are off and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo steams ahead as disturbing details are discovered one after another. As far as the story goes, it's a little better than your average mystery. It keeps you guessing and there are plenty of suspects to choose from. The real gem of the film is in the character of Lisbeth Salander (played by Noomi Rapace), she of "girl with the dragon tattoo" fame. Lisbeth has been spying on Mikael Blomkvist (our unfortunate reporter) and unintentionally ends up getting herself involved in his latest project. Her character is a very complicated one. She's a hacker, covered in piercings, smokes like a chimney to calm herself down, has a very hidden and dark past including criminal activity, is withdrawn and stand-offish and yet she ends up being almost lovable. Rapace's performance is definitely a highlight of the movie. She manages Lisbeth's facial expressions and moods with ease and gives us exactly what Larsson wanted the character to be. Unfortunately, her supporting cast and the general low-budget feel of the film don't do her any favors... she can't save it on her own.

The "book vs. movie" debate is alive and well here. Despite being a cinema lover, I usually prefer the book, and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo did nothing to change my mind. It's a decent thriller, but the unnecessarily violent sex scenes and nature of the crimes act as shock value and don't add much meaningful to the story. However, I commend the director for staying true to the book and being unafraid to depict these same scenes as they were written. If that sounds like a bit of a contradiction, it is. And that is where I am left when it comes to my thoughts on the film - confused.

I enjoyed it well enough, but was not blown away or inspired or emotionally riveted. I will definitely be viewing the sequels if for no other reason than to see more of Rapace, but the movie did offer up a solid crime mystery and for that I'll consider it slightly above average.
  23. Mar 24, 2011
    I recently finished the book and upon completion, I just had to see the movie. I thought it was an excellent adaptation considering the amount of material. The cast was superb and the setting was beautiful. I am not sure why America has to remake it, but David Fincher is an excellent director and he can of course change certain elements of the film by adding material that were left outI recently finished the book and upon completion, I just had to see the movie. I thought it was an excellent adaptation considering the amount of material. The cast was superb and the setting was beautiful. I am not sure why America has to remake it, but David Fincher is an excellent director and he can of course change certain elements of the film by adding material that were left out of the Swedish version. Now casting the role of Lisbeth will be challenging because Noonmi Rapace's performance was superb. I do have one HUGE complaint, however. We rented the film from Netflix and watched the previews. Well, to my shock and dismay, the preview began for the SEQUEL, The Girl Who Played With Fire. Before I could react quick enough to locate the remote and hit the menu button, I heard/saw info about one of the major characters. Talk about a spoiler. I am currently reading TGWPWF and am only on about page 160-170. I was sooo disappointed and angry. Why on earth would anyone show the preview for a SEQUEL in the first part of the series??????? Imagine if when The Godfather premiered, the trailer for The Godfather II was shown before the movie. Unbelievable. Expand
  24. Nov 29, 2011
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is one of the finest examples of a thrilling murder-mystery ever committed to film. The storytelling is fluid and engaging, the script tight and the dramatic performances superb. The film explores the darkest, most depraved aspects of human nature, and astutely questions our commonly held beliefs about mental illness, morality and redemption. It's a realThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is one of the finest examples of a thrilling murder-mystery ever committed to film. The storytelling is fluid and engaging, the script tight and the dramatic performances superb. The film explores the darkest, most depraved aspects of human nature, and astutely questions our commonly held beliefs about mental illness, morality and redemption. It's a real testament to the skills of leads Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace that they manage to bring such complex, layered characters to life on the big screen, and they make a great double-act, smartly playing off each others' performances to add greater depth and believability to their roles. It's also a mark of a great director in Niels Arden Oplev that he keeps the story focussed, and manages to maintain the momentum of the film throughout its 150 minute run-time. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is simply superb - it's smart, energetic, well-crafted and utterly enthralling. The American remake is on the horizon, and while I'm intrigued by any project with David Fincher at the helm, I'm also a little dubious, because there's no way a remake can be this good. Expand
  25. Jan 12, 2012
    It was great to see a well made movie from Sweden with original memorable characters and a good story. Although I did find the English version more entertaining with a better/ deeper version of Lisbeth, this movie is still well made and has some deeper plot points. Recommended.
  26. j30
    Jan 30, 2012
    This film is by far the best in the Swedish trilogy of films. The atmosphere/mood of the movie is really dark and some of the scenes are very hard to sit through. What makes the movie worth sitting through this kind of material (and the whole trilogy) is Noomi Rapace (who should have been nominated for an Oscar). Her excellent performance of the tortured hero, Lisbeth Salander, is movieThis film is by far the best in the Swedish trilogy of films. The atmosphere/mood of the movie is really dark and some of the scenes are very hard to sit through. What makes the movie worth sitting through this kind of material (and the whole trilogy) is Noomi Rapace (who should have been nominated for an Oscar). Her excellent performance of the tortured hero, Lisbeth Salander, is movie magic and will be talked about for years to come. Expand
  27. Jan 29, 2012
    Girl With Dragon Tattoo (2009): Better pacing and editing than Fincher's film, more interesting. The relationship is better developed, otherwise the remake is a shot-for-shot clone of the original.
  28. Feb 14, 2013
    The Swedish film, based off of the late Steig Larsson's first book in his Millennium series, is a wonderful beginning to a trilogy of cinema. It is easily seen as a successful task of turning a work of literature into film. It has done Larsson's books a great justice!

It is dark, curious, brooding, violent, and thrilling. The settings of the film's scenes were unimaginably dead-on from the book. The character casting and cinematography are astonishing.

The financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist, played by Michael Nyqvist, is a mix of wit, steadfastness, and even a edge of humor. He is intelligent, and pairs well with the bright and dynamic Lisbeth.

Lisbeth Salander, played by Noomi Rapace, was casted wonderfully if not perfectly. Her edge, look, and body language really brought life to the character of Lisbeth. Lisbeth's past has set her present and maybe even future in the unsteady hands of the corrupt. The two stories of Blomkvist and Salander stand aside, overlap, intertwine, and come together in a wonderful pace. A 40-year old crime is dropped in the lap of Blomkvist to decipher once and for all contending with his own battles in the eyes of politics and financial journalism. Salander, the reserved technology-driven hacker, whom is assigned cases by a security company, is researching Blomkvist. Her life, ruled by her hard past and difficult present, draws you in and doesn't let you go. The two characters come to work together and take on a heavy journey of murders, misogyny, mental illness, revenge, and corruption.
  29. Nov 6, 2014
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a gripping, shocking thriller. It has amazing performances by Rapace and Nyqvist, a rich, superbly written script, and some of the most graphic torture and rape scenes you will ever see in mainstream cinema. This one of the best films to come out of Sweden in the last 10 years.
  30. May 19, 2016
    Excellent film. I am a great fan of swedish noir like Wallander and The Killing.

Watch it online for free: http://www.watchfree.to/watch-1d3c-The-Girl-with-the-Dragon-Tattoo-movie-online-free-putlocker.html

1. A dark and brooding story that only gets more disturbing over the course its 152 minute runtime.
  2. The result is a character-driven mystery of considerable emotional power, often harrowing and always compelling.
  3. Reviewed by: Boyd Van Hoeij
    More of an action-light whodunit than a real thriller, and more of a CliffsNotes version than a deeply disturbing portrait of what's wrong with contempo Sweden.