9.0

1. Nov 26, 2011
    Its easily the greatest sequel of all time, The Godfather 2 does a good job at living up to the previous film. Despite its greatness, It doesnt have as much originality that the first film had but its still great.
  2. Nov 25, 2011
    A true masterpiece. Unlike the original, there are no dull moments. The present story is wonderful, but it's the flashbacks that I found to be brilliant. Excellent movie.
  3. Jun 25, 2011
    One of those movies you are supposed to see but never get around to. I got around to it. Do beleive the hype - It's great. Great story, great cast, great film
  4. Nov 16, 2010
    This movie is SPECTACULAR! I can't decide if it's better than the first one. Everyone gives exceptional performances and the dialogue is so well written it almost seems real. The plot is so interesting and totally sucks you in, you can't even tell it's over 3 hours. Robert De Niro's, Vito Corleone, I almost (not quite though) is as good as Marlon Brando's. Which I think was an amazingThis movie is SPECTACULAR! I can't decide if it's better than the first one. Everyone gives exceptional performances and the dialogue is so well written it almost seems real. The plot is so interesting and totally sucks you in, you can't even tell it's over 3 hours. Robert De Niro's, Vito Corleone, I almost (not quite though) is as good as Marlon Brando's. Which I think was an amazing achievement. It is possibly the greatest movie ever made. Expand
  5. Apr 24, 2011
    Seriously? Only a "Generally favorable reviews" from critics? Really? The Godfather Part II is an absolute masterpiece. It keeps all of the great elements from the first movie (the drama, fantastic cast, great script, and unforgettable quotes), and also adds new elements that are great (a new story with Michael that is fantastic, tragic moments, and plenty of twists). I really am not doingSeriously? Only a "Generally favorable reviews" from critics? Really? The Godfather Part II is an absolute masterpiece. It keeps all of the great elements from the first movie (the drama, fantastic cast, great script, and unforgettable quotes), and also adds new elements that are great (a new story with Michael that is fantastic, tragic moments, and plenty of twists). I really am not doing this movie justice, just go see it! Expand
  6. May 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Godfather is one of my favourite ever films, and i'm glad to say that The Godfather Part II manages to match the first chapter in the story of Corleone family. The best thing about this movie, for me, was the flashback sequences to Vito's early years, how he ended up living in America, how he got started in the mafia, how he made his first (I presume it was his first) kill, how he set up his most important element: Family. The absence of Marlon Brando is evident here, but its made up for as we have Robert De Niro playing the young Don Corleone. There is a vast difference between Michael and his deceased father, Vito. Vito immensly loved his family and it was evident that family was the most important thing to him. To Michael, that is not true. Note how he smacks Kay across the face, how he refuses to let her see his children, how he orders the execution of his brother Fredo. The final scene, where we got a flashback to the family at the table for Vitos surprise party, is quite a well executed scene, and it was interesting to see the familys reaction to Michael joining the Marines and that it was Sonny who introduced the despicable wife beater Carlo to Connie. Honestly, this film was pretty brilliant, but I, myself prefer the first film. This is definately one of the best sequels though Expand
  7. Dec 28, 2011
    O.K., my first response to this is that it is immensely underrated. As The Godfather's Metascore was a perfect 100, The Godfather Part II deserved at least an 85. It's the Godfather Part III that's the bad one, not II! The acting was about 2/3 as good as the original. Al Pacino took the leading role and made it shine, though not nearly like Marlon Brando did. The supporting cast was veryO.K., my first response to this is that it is immensely underrated. As The Godfather's Metascore was a perfect 100, The Godfather Part II deserved at least an 85. It's the Godfather Part III that's the bad one, not II! The acting was about 2/3 as good as the original. Al Pacino took the leading role and made it shine, though not nearly like Marlon Brando did. The supporting cast was very good, although it was Robert DeNiro who swept the movie, winning him his first Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. Expand
  8. Sep 8, 2010
    I loved this movie i liked the orginal better but this was just amazing its the only movie i have seen that serves as a sequil and a prequil the only thing i did not like about this movie is micheal corleano being the godfather he is great as a godfather dont get me wrong but i just liked him when he was entering the family
  9. Aug 30, 2013
    The best film of the trilogy. It's boring in some parts, but it's without doubt one of the best films ever made. A HUGE well done to Francis Ford Coppola!!!!
  10. Aug 15, 2013
    Como su predecesor, una genialidad de Coppola. Creo que supera a la primera. Impresionantes actuaciones de dos grandes estrellas del cine como Al Pacino y Robert de Niro. Intensa historia y buenos giros. Perfecta.
  11. Jan 22, 2015
    It's not a perfect film. It lacks the innovative ideas of the Godfather and it has a hard time juggling multiple storylines. The Michael-Kay subplot is very rushed and the film doesn't quite have the thrill and the mystery of the first film. But it succeeds in being an immensely powerful character study. Al Pacino, even better in this one, is remarkable as a malicious figure of quietIt's not a perfect film. It lacks the innovative ideas of the Godfather and it has a hard time juggling multiple storylines. The Michael-Kay subplot is very rushed and the film doesn't quite have the thrill and the mystery of the first film. But it succeeds in being an immensely powerful character study. Al Pacino, even better in this one, is remarkable as a malicious figure of quiet authority waiting and longing for the right time to strike his prey. Works very well for the most part but it's not quiet the achievement the first film was. But there's no shame in that. Expand
  12. Jan 1, 2015
    The Godfather Part II is a 1974 American crime epic produced and directed by Francis Ford Coppola from a screenplay co-written with Mario Puzo, starring Al Pacino and Robert De Niro. Partially based on Puzo's 1969 novel The Godfather, the film is both sequel and prequel to The Godfather, presenting parallel dramas: one picks up the 1958 story of Michael Corleone (Pacino), the new Don ofThe Godfather Part II is a 1974 American crime epic produced and directed by Francis Ford Coppola from a screenplay co-written with Mario Puzo, starring Al Pacino and Robert De Niro. Partially based on Puzo's 1969 novel The Godfather, the film is both sequel and prequel to The Godfather, presenting parallel dramas: one picks up the 1958 story of Michael Corleone (Pacino), the new Don of the Corleone crime family, protecting the family business in the aftermath of an attempt on his life; the prequel covers the journey of his father, Vito Corleone (De Niro), from his Sicilian childhood to the founding of his family enterprise in New York City. Expand
  13. Jul 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers. I am sorry but how can you give to this movie a scone seventy one? :O I'm think that is the most shameful thing I have ever saw when it comes about movies reviews. Godfather Part II is a piece of art... maybe it's not excellent as Godfather Part I but it's not far away from it. The score for Part II should be around Ninety, and it would be if you have any common sen-ce. I really respected this page when it comes about movie critics, I respected it TILL NOW. Now I see that you have your mistakes, and you made A BIG ONE. I just cannot accept the "fact" that some childish harry potter have scored more than godfather part II, I mean that's just ridiculous... and when I saw this, I decided to never come on this page again. CIAO Collapse
  14. Mar 2, 2012
    This film its as good as Godfather :Part 1. I dont understant how a man who is working in the New York Times gives Godfather 40/100. If i was NTW director i would lay off him.
  15. Jan 27, 2013
    Looking at the negative reviews saying they should have stopped at 1 clearly haven't read the bloody BOOK. Do your research, the book includes the entirety of 1 and 2. That said, 3 is such a complete failure that it's sad. It's the equivalent of the worst of the Star Wars prequels and Indiana Jones 4. But to say Godfather 2 is a terrible movie compared to the first is absolutely crazy. 1Looking at the negative reviews saying they should have stopped at 1 clearly haven't read the bloody BOOK. Do your research, the book includes the entirety of 1 and 2. That said, 3 is such a complete failure that it's sad. It's the equivalent of the worst of the Star Wars prequels and Indiana Jones 4. But to say Godfather 2 is a terrible movie compared to the first is absolutely crazy. 1 does not exist without 2, even though 2 isn't AS good, it certainly deserves no less than a low positive or a very high mixed. It's not "Master of Disguise" or "Deuce Bigalo 2". When I see reviewers mark a film so poorly and then rank other films that are throwaway crap, it easily shows how stupid they are. Hate the story, find it a little confusing all you want, even at its worse, this film is better than almost everything made today. It's certainly an infinite amount better than 3. Expand
  16. Nov 29, 2011
    Easily the greatest sequel of all time. While it is a little too similar to the first film, The built in prequel and the overall growth of Michael in the film shows just how great it really is.
  17. Jan 6, 2012
    Well I gotta say I always liked Godfather II better than part I.It's amazing how characters are portrayed in this part really perfect.I loved I'st part too it was 3'rd that was dissapointing.
  18. Feb 1, 2014
    Arguably better than its predecessor, Part II brilliantly juxtaposes the rise of the father with the fall of the son and is one of the finest showcases of cinema's great character studies, not to mention Carmine Coppola's haunting score.
  19. Mar 25, 2013
    The Godfather Part II is considered by many to be the greatest sequel ever made and one of the greatest films of all time. This sequel easily matches with the original film's quality. The characters are brilliantly portrayed by the cast once again, with Al Pacino giving what is perhaps one of the best performances in acting history; Robert De Niro isn't far behind and also gives a veryThe Godfather Part II is considered by many to be the greatest sequel ever made and one of the greatest films of all time. This sequel easily matches with the original film's quality. The characters are brilliantly portrayed by the cast once again, with Al Pacino giving what is perhaps one of the best performances in acting history; Robert De Niro isn't far behind and also gives a very strong performance. The story is excellent and uniquely told, and concludes in one of the most affecting endings of all time. In addition to the original music, the film contains a new score which is absolutely gorgeous. Along with the first Godfather, this is my favorite film ever. If you've seen the original, then don't miss Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece of a sequel. Expand
  20. Dec 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is three hours and twenty two minutes long but an hour passes like 15 minutes.It is incredibly entertaining and one of the best gangster movie ever made.
    The plot is tricky featuring two parallel storylines,one of young Vito Corleone fighting with life's dark events,providing for his family,building a Don status and seeking revenge for the killing of his family while other depicts the Michael Corleone and his falling empire,family and life.
    Al Pacino is stand out in the movie cast.You just see the expressions and his eyes it can tell you the whole story.
    He has completely transformed to a ruthless,heartless and cold gangster but never stopped loving his family.
    The scene where Kay(Diane Keaton) tells him about that she aborted their child,Al is flawless and most realistic how his eyes pops out and how he knocks her down.He deserved the oscar for best actor.
    Robert De Niro is impeccable.What do you expect when two of the greatest actors play two of the greatest characters.
    De Niro portrays the character with similar talent as Marlon Brando did.
    The way he speaks with same husky voice also his sicilian.
    His principles,taking care of things,returning the favor and rise to mafia is just marvellous.
    The best scenes are where he follows Fannuci at Festa to his house and kills him other one ,obviously where he stabs Don Ciccio and says "My father's name was Antonio Andolini... and this is for you" is just brilliant.
    Diane Keaton portays her character with utter excellence.
    Robert Duvall is as great as he was in the previous movie,the sophisticated lawyer ,caring brother and a good man.
    John Cazale character is bigger in this one and he is first class in the scene where he yells his heart out and in the whole movie.
    Michael Vincente Gazzo's performance is most realistic.
    The screenplay,style and violence is top notch.
    Again.Coppola's direction is mesmerizing.
    Overall,this is one of the best movie and not to be missed.
  21. Jul 7, 2013
    Just absolutely masterful. I have no idea how the metascore here is so low, especially considering the film is critically acclaimed. The acting, once again, is superb and Coppola is fantastic as the director. There isn't much to say beyond the fact that this film is one of the best ever.
  22. Nov 28, 2012
    A distinctively well-paced and sumptuously plotted drama with unforgettable performances from Pacino and De Niro, "The Godfather Part II" is an objectively perfect sequel to the 1972 classic.
  23. Mar 9, 2013
    Its still strong on all levels, but part II doesn't have the same effect that The Godfather did.
  24. Apr 8, 2013
    Francis Ford Coppola's Godfather Part II, a golden cinema from the era of 1970s. Exaggerating? Over-Praised? Nope. If one looks back at that wonderful decade of cinema, he or she would see 'Colossal' films like Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, Annie Hall, Means Streets, Jaws, Chinatown, The Godfather (Its Predecessor) and many more. But, I think, the film which captures 6 Academy Awards (BestFrancis Ford Coppola's Godfather Part II, a golden cinema from the era of 1970s. Exaggerating? Over-Praised? Nope. If one looks back at that wonderful decade of cinema, he or she would see 'Colossal' films like Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, Annie Hall, Means Streets, Jaws, Chinatown, The Godfather (Its Predecessor) and many more. But, I think, the film which captures 6 Academy Awards (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Art-Direction and Best Actor in a Supporting Role) surpasses them all, and that film is The Godfather Part II.

To begin with it's acting would be a pleasure to me. "Sun rising to shine the world" That would be the expression to depict it's masterful acting. Well supported by it's supporting players and that include Robert Duvall (extremely impressive), John Cazale, Lee Strasberg and Michael V. Gazzo. Al Pacino plays the cold Michael Corleone, who's delivery entertained me with some kind of realism. Just rightfully perfect, I could conclude that he's transformed or easily put, Al gives a perfect performance which deserved an Oscar for best performance of the year. Just somewhere in that corner of brilliance, one could see a composed acting of Robert Deniro as young Vito Corleone. It is like pure cloud gathering all around him, truly an unforgettable contribution. In summary, it could be commented that this piece is a well acted motion picture.

The element which grasped my attention is Coppola's method of slow or methodical filmmaking which captures the beauty of this cinema. Beautifully shot from start to finish, it is a breathtaking sight of grandeur.

This film is a cleverly written piece too. Completed with inspiring dialogue, attractive epic storytelling and it could be easily 'snatched'that it is masterful.

Many would disagree with me because I'm going to, or will always name this picture as 'The Greatest Film Ever Made'. The Godfather is an offer you can't refuse but The Godfather Part II is an offer you MUST NOT refuse.

Facebook (http://facebook.com/alex.desmall) Twitter (@Alex_DeSmall) (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/AlexDesmall)
  25. Apr 16, 2014
    Muy injusta la nota que le han puesto a esta maravillosa segunda parte. Es mi favorita de la trilogía de The Godfather, interesante y a la vez grandilocuente de como la historia que se divide en dos, una es la vida de cuando Vito aun no era el patriarca de los Corleone y por otra la trama donde ocurre los hechos del presente es decir en los 50, un Michael mas frió y calculador que en laMuy injusta la nota que le han puesto a esta maravillosa segunda parte. Es mi favorita de la trilogía de The Godfather, interesante y a la vez grandilocuente de como la historia que se divide en dos, una es la vida de cuando Vito aun no era el patriarca de los Corleone y por otra la trama donde ocurre los hechos del presente es decir en los 50, un Michael mas frió y calculador que en la primera parte, traiciones y conspiraciones en contra su vida, la presión del senado y del fbi es lo que debe enfrentar en esta segunda parte, incluso si la traición es... mejor vean la película. Agrego algo mas aparte de su impecable guion, es su banda sonora con el tema The Immigrant que se convierte en el broche que lo caracteriza. Expand
  26. Jan 20, 2014
    It has less character development than its predecessor, other than Vito Corleone, beautifully acted by Robert De Niro, whose learning of a new language truly deserves an Oscar. Al Pacino has a more sufficient role, and more dynamic, as the crime boss struggling with his crime life and family life, whose every choice is both hard and difficult to make. The rest of the ensemble makes all theIt has less character development than its predecessor, other than Vito Corleone, beautifully acted by Robert De Niro, whose learning of a new language truly deserves an Oscar. Al Pacino has a more sufficient role, and more dynamic, as the crime boss struggling with his crime life and family life, whose every choice is both hard and difficult to make. The rest of the ensemble makes all the violence sophisticated and interesting, mostly due to the complexity of it. And lets not forget John Cazale, although his career was short, he was an amazing actor, who actually gave me sympathy rather than scorn and a desire to see him killed. A formidable sequel, though it doesn't surpass the original. Expand
  27. Jan 6, 2015
    Yes, it may be the second movie in the Godfather trilogy, but to call The Godfather Part II a sequel is an insult to the movie, to Francis Ford Coppola, Mario Puzo, and Marlon Brando. Think of it as a "continuation" of the first. Although it has a 200 minute runtime, the well-made story, multi-layered characters, and Oscar-winning performances make the film breeze by. Modern directors canYes, it may be the second movie in the Godfather trilogy, but to call The Godfather Part II a sequel is an insult to the movie, to Francis Ford Coppola, Mario Puzo, and Marlon Brando. Think of it as a "continuation" of the first. Although it has a 200 minute runtime, the well-made story, multi-layered characters, and Oscar-winning performances make the film breeze by. Modern directors can learn from films like this; instead of changing the shot every 5 seconds to a new angle, sometimes it is much better to just leave the camera in one spot and let the actors act. While there are more prologues and footnotes and flashbacks and flash-forwards, the movie still maintains a consistent pace and tone, the mark of a truly great picture. Expand
  28. Nov 28, 2013
    the godfather part 2 is not as good as the first godfather,but it didin't mean that isn't an universal acclaim,simply it is the best continuation ever made.
  29. Dec 18, 2013
    Godfather part 2 just takes us on a tour of want the greatest movie of all time's sequel brings which is phenomenon do not miss it man I wish I was a gangster after watching this movie
  30. Nov 2, 2014
    Part II is perhaps the greatest American film of all time, at least in my opinion, upstaging Citizen Kane and even its predecessor. If Part I was to Coppola what The Grapes of Wrath was to Steinbeck, then Part II is his East of Eden. It recreates all that was so brilliant about the first but fine-tunes it in a manner so that it happens on a scale much larger and much more ambitious, with aPart II is perhaps the greatest American film of all time, at least in my opinion, upstaging Citizen Kane and even its predecessor. If Part I was to Coppola what The Grapes of Wrath was to Steinbeck, then Part II is his East of Eden. It recreates all that was so brilliant about the first but fine-tunes it in a manner so that it happens on a scale much larger and much more ambitious, with a wide scope traversing decades and continents that intersects the past with the present in its ferocious exploration on how organised crime shapes those who operate at its highest levels. Returning cast members up their game, especially John Cazale, Diane Keaton and Talia Shire, and Coppola replenishes the ranks with a stellar supporting cast that includes memorable turns from Robert De Niro and Michael V. Gazzo. But no-one can detract from Al Pacino, who tops the brilliance of his first outing as Michael Corleone with a mesmerising, electric tour de force of Macbethian portents that gives this film its heart and its gut: both are as crucial to the film's impact as the other. Where Part I was more cerebral and restrained in its meditation on matters of morality, Part II opens the floodgates to unleash a blistering and merciless cascade of betrayal, savagery, bitterness, passion, vengeance and irreconcilable guilt and greed as corrosive as the other, eventually leaving us with something that is tragic, elegiac and searingly true. The morally-corrosive properties of power may be a tried and tired theme of cinema by now, but the unflinching manner that Part II slides it under the microscope and squints as far as the eye can reach has never been replicated - and quite probably never could. Expand
  31. Mar 2, 2014
    The Godfather: Part II is one of those rare sequels that match the original; Anchored by impeccable casting and a riveting story, Coppola's second instalment into the cult phenomenon trilogy succeeds in garnering critical praise and becoming the first and only sequel to win the coveted Best Picture award. Al Pacino is at his apex here.
  32. chw
    Jul 18, 2014
    Part II was not as good as the first Godfather, but the The Godfather: Part II is just as excellent with the story, the acting (portrayed by Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Robert Duvall, Talia Shire, and Diane Keaton), and directed by legendary director Francis Ford Coppola.
  33. May 1, 2014
    If the Godfather has a 100 metascore then the Godfather II should have a metascore of 99. Hands down the greatest sequel ever made as well as the best acted film ever made, surpassing even the first one. Pacino gives his greatest performance
  34. May 4, 2014
    By continuing Michael Corleone's story AND traveling back to Vito's timeline, this film is one of the only sequels that can match its predecessor. This and The Dark Knight alone.
  35. Apr 24, 2015
    A companion piece in the truest sense of the term, The Godfather Part II garnered as much adulation as its predecessor, if not more. Receiving twelve Academy Award nominations, and again winning Best Picture (and this time Best Director for Coppola as well), the second installment has been rightfully hailed as the best sequel of all time.

The Godfather Part II is a more ambitious

The Godfather Part II is a more ambitious production than the original since it attempts not only to tell a pair of completely disconnected stories, but to do so in parallel. The less time consuming of the two presents the early life of Vito Corleone (played by Robert DeNiro) in Sicily and New York, and shows how he came into power. The other tale picks up approximately a decade after the conclusion of The Godfather, and shows the means by which Michael Corleone (Al Pacino), now secure in his position, attempts to expand the family empire into Las Vegas and Cuba.

Plot and counterplot develop, and Michael becomes the focal point of a web of betrayal and deceit, turned against by those he had sought to protect. Assassination attempts and government probes target Michael, but he fights back using every scintilla of ingenuity he possesses and sacrificing much of his humanity in the process.

The traditional elements of the Tragedy introduced in The Godfather reach their maturity in Part II. Much of the humanity remaining to Michael at the outset is leeched from him with each deception and setback. Late scenes with a resentful Fredo (John Cazale) and a bitter Kay (Diane Keaton) emphasize the price for Michael of continuing his father's dominion. His flaw is his imperceptiveness and, as is the case for any hero in a story of this nature, its effects are crippling.

Primarily due to the scope of events, Part II is not as tightly-scripted as Part I. While most of the first film takes place in New York (with a few excursions elsewhere), here the settings vary: Sicily, Ellis Island, New York, Nevada, Cuba, Miami, Washington DC. In letting their characters escape the confines of the "old neighborhood", Coppola and Puzo lessen the intimacy of certain interpersonal conflicts.

Visually, many of Michael's scenes have a more gloomy appearance this time around. Especially during the latter portions of the film, the don is shown in severely underexposed settings, appearing as a silhouette. His is a voice from the darkness - a photographic mirror of what's happening beneath the surface.

As the beginning of Part II echoes the opening of The Godfather, so too does the end. Because of the manner in which circumstances are handled and considering the people involved, the impact here is more forceful. The tragic flaw has accomplished its poisonous, inevitable designs. Coppola punctuates both movies with a gut-twisting exclamation point.

Combined, The Godfather and The Godfather Part II represent the apex of American movie-making and the ultimate gangster story. Few sequels have expanded upon the original with the faithfulness and detail of this one. Beneath the surface veneer of an ethnic period piece, The Godfather is not so much about crime lords as it is about prices paid in the currency of the soul for decisions made and avoided. It is that quality which establishes this saga as timeless.

1. Reviewed by: John H. Dorr
    Dec 18, 2014
    It is neither a very happy or driving picture. But it is intellectually daring and marks an important breakthrough in the growing up of the Hollywood film.
  2. Reviewed by: Kevin Harley
    Feb 18, 2014
    The plotting is elliptical and the sweep intoxicates, but the contrast between De Niro’s meditative Vito and Pacino’s soul-starved eyes brings piercing focus to Coppola’s resonating study of corrupting power.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Feb 18, 2014
    This is quite simply one of the saddest movies ever made, a tale of loss, grief and absolute loneliness, an unflinching stare into the darkest moral abyss.