8.9

1. Jun 12, 2011
    I really do feel that I have to give this movie a zero... just to even things out. It is easily the most overrated movie of all time. The only thing it has ever contributed is relatively decent quotes that people say nonstop in all other forms of entertainment. The characters are pure crap (good actors or not), and I find it impossible to care for the dull and dragged out story. Even as a mafia movie it's not that **** great... I'd much rather watch Goodfellas or Casino again before resorting to re-watching The Godfather. Expand
  2. Aug 13, 2011
    Great script writing can't make up for it's boring storyline and slow pacing.
  3. May 17, 2011
    This is the worst movie I've ever seen. I could excuse the lack of relevant plot, but I could not get over the fact that there was no theme. This movie sucks because it has no message. I tried real hard to think about what I liked about the movie, but only came up empty.
    If your interested in a good gangster movie, DO NOT PICK THIS. The Untouchables (while less realistic) is much more
    entertaining and worth while.
    The only thing this movie has going for it is the "special effects" and good acting. Every movie however boasts of good effects, however they do not last and the year after something much better has come along. As for the good acting, yes it was decent, however I do not judge a movie based on acting, at least not over other more important things. Any movie should have good actors. While the God Father has good actors, what their acting is not worth it. Crap is still crap no matter how well its presented. Overall I found the Godfather abominable. The dvd's disk did not deserve to be punished with having itself tattoo'd with the Godfather.

In short:
    Bad: YES- COMPLETE lack of theme. - content that makes you want to take a bath after viewing - Storyline pointless enough to make you wish you had the 2 hours of your life back.
    Good:... I cant think of anything... Compare with my other reviews, I usually can say SOMETHING good about a movie.
    But this... no.
  4. Jan 11, 2013
    This is the only movie I've ever watched that has put me to sleep. I imagine that the entire movie could have been put into about 1/8th the time and still have retained all of its meaning.
  5. Mar 27, 2012
    I've never before been bored by a slow-moving film. Ever so much more weight is put on the horse-head scene than it supports. A husband-wife fight is phoney, weak, amateur and isn't even peanuts compared to any such scene by Scorsese. A curly-haired guy beats a guy up and it looks as fake as the fakest action I've ever seen; it was so bad it was hysterical. As in the faintly superior sequel, Robert Duvall's role consists almost entirely of standing around looking mildly concerned. Early scenes with Brando are effective enough, but not a whole lot else is. That curly-haired guy gets shot by a whole buncha guys later on and some friends asked me if I understood how and why the ambush happened as though I could possibly care why it happened or who he was. I heard one person complain that the film 'insists on itself', but it seemed to me more like it didn't even care it existed. At the moment, this movie has nearly five hundred and fifty thousand votes on I.M.D.B., but 'Goodfellas' has only three hundred and twenty-five thousand and 'Casino' barely over a hundred and fifty thousand. Sad. But Francis Ford went on to make an infinitely better film only seven years later, and his daughter an unutterably better one three decades later, and so the Family thrives. Expand
  6. Aug 4, 2012
    You know how when a friend is telling you a personal anecdote that he thinks is hilarious, but you don't find very funny, he'll say "you had to have been there." That's kind of how I feel about The Godfather. By the time I watched this movie I'd seen so many impersonations of Don Corleone and parodies that it all felt almost comical. Putting all that aside (if that's even possible), I still didn't enjoy this movie. I found myself checking how much more I had to sit through multiple times. And having seen what Al Pacino is capable of, he seems very wooden in this. My conclusion is that if you managed to see this movie before pop culture appropriated it and fed you their versions, then you'll likely love it. If like me you weren't around in the 70's, you might not get that much from it. In other words, you had to have been there. Expand
  7. Nov 29, 2013
    Yeah so I guess I have to be that guy who says that he doesn't like "the best movie of all-time" the godfather. I love crime type movies and I went into this movie expecting something great. Unfortunately, this films incredibly long film time and boredom made it feel like 6 hours. Godfather definitely has some great performances especially from Marlon Brando, but that doesn't help me from wanting to fall asleep within the first 45 minutes. Goodfellas is the much superior movie for me as that movie is well acted, based on a true story, and entertaining. Expand
  8. Dec 12, 2013
    I would say The Godfather is very overrated. It has terribly tedious delivery, and is basically just three hours of guys in suits sitting at a table talking about business.

1. Just about as great as a movie's ever gonna be... As for the storytellng, The Godfather is an intricately constructed gem that simultaneously kicks ass.
    The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion... It was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual.
    The wedding sequence... is a virtuoso stretch of filmmaking: Coppola brings his large cast onstage so artfully that we are drawn at once into the Godfather's world.