9.0

1. Nov 29, 2013
    Yeah so I guess I have to be that guy who says that he doesn't like "the best movie of all-time" the godfather. I love crime type movies and I went into this movie expecting something great. Unfortunately, this films incredibly long film time and boredom made it feel like 6 hours. Godfather definitely has some great performances especially from Marlon Brando, but that doesn't help meYeah so I guess I have to be that guy who says that he doesn't like "the best movie of all-time" the godfather. I love crime type movies and I went into this movie expecting something great. Unfortunately, this films incredibly long film time and boredom made it feel like 6 hours. Godfather definitely has some great performances especially from Marlon Brando, but that doesn't help me from wanting to fall asleep within the first 45 minutes. Goodfellas is the much superior movie for me as that movie is well acted, based on a true story, and entertaining. Expand
  2. MattF.
    Jan 8, 2005
    I was really looking forward to seeing this hyped-up movie, which I finally saw a couple of weeks ago. The whole plot was convoluted and boring, the deep entertaining potential of this tale is ruined by some terrible casting. The scenery and props were completely uninteresting, even for the relatively uninteresting time period in which this movie was released. Overall, I now despise this I was really looking forward to seeing this hyped-up movie, which I finally saw a couple of weeks ago. The whole plot was convoluted and boring, the deep entertaining potential of this tale is ruined by some terrible casting. The scenery and props were completely uninteresting, even for the relatively uninteresting time period in which this movie was released. Overall, I now despise this more than almost any other (save the pointless "Godfather II" that I flipped by on TV a couple of weeks ago. So what was the 1 redeeming quality that made me rate this unnecessary movie a score of 1? Marlon Brando's acting was acceptable, not exceptional, compared to everyone else's dismal. Expand
  3. WilliamD.
    Jan 16, 2010
    Godfather isn't a terrible movie. On the contrary, its a movie with a ton of unrealized potential that executes with the grain.
  4. Aug 13, 2011
    Great script writing can't make up for it's boring storyline and slow pacing.
  5. RyanN.
    Sep 2, 2006
    I HATE this movie. What a load of boring drivel. From the beginning to the end, this film neither exited or engaged me. The characters seemed utterly false, the story utterly mundane. There have been far better ganster films - the untouchables, donnie brasco, hell - even bugsy malone is better than this. And the worst thing is, everyone seems to love it. Why? WHY? The best movie ever? I HATE this movie. What a load of boring drivel. From the beginning to the end, this film neither exited or engaged me. The characters seemed utterly false, the story utterly mundane. There have been far better ganster films - the untouchables, donnie brasco, hell - even bugsy malone is better than this. And the worst thing is, everyone seems to love it. Why? WHY? The best movie ever? This, better than Pulp Fiction? This, better than LA Confidential? This, better than Scarface? this is a bandwagon "best film ever" and each of you knows that you are lying and following the trend. Oh, and the length of the film was just the icing. It should have ended about 3 times before it did finally end. Expand
  6. BlaP.
    Jun 9, 2008
    very very over rated movie and could not get into it i would give it a 7 but beacsue its supposed to be the best movie of all time and kinda sucked it get 0 points from me
  7. PhilipB
    Aug 26, 2009
    The first part is ok, but kept falling asleep for the rest of it, and never even made it to part three. One of the most boring movies I've ever tried to sit through.
  8. GG.
    Jan 3, 2007
    Brando is awful in this, he mumbles so he doesn't have to do an accent.
  9. JamesK
    May 1, 2007
    Did not care for it. It insists upon itself.
  10. TomZ.
    Jan 3, 2007
    HORRIBLE FILM!! so boring, this metascore is clearly rigged, it is impossible for 100, as that means absolutely everyone rated it perfect! Grrr.
  11. NickP
    Jan 11, 2009
    Too overrated.either the the revievers were paid to give it good scores or they were threatened by the mob.
  12. AndrewK.
    Jul 20, 2006
    This is the movie that everybody argues is better than Scarface? Scarface blows this dumbass movie to hell. This is a true borefest.
  13. Mar 27, 2012
    I've never before been bored by a slow-moving film. Ever so much more weight is put on the horse-head scene than it supports. A husband-wife fight is phoney, weak, amateur and isn't even peanuts compared to any such scene by Scorsese. A curly-haired guy beats a guy up and it looks as fake as the fakest action I've ever seen; it was so bad it was hysterical. As in the faintly superiorI've never before been bored by a slow-moving film. Ever so much more weight is put on the horse-head scene than it supports. A husband-wife fight is phoney, weak, amateur and isn't even peanuts compared to any such scene by Scorsese. A curly-haired guy beats a guy up and it looks as fake as the fakest action I've ever seen; it was so bad it was hysterical. As in the faintly superior sequel, Robert Duvall's role consists almost entirely of standing around looking mildly concerned. Early scenes with Brando are effective enough, but not a whole lot else is. That curly-haired guy gets shot by a whole buncha guys later on and some friends asked me if I understood how and why the ambush happened as though I could possibly care why it happened or who he was. I heard one person complain that the film 'insists on itself', but it seemed to me more like it didn't even care it existed. At the moment, this movie has nearly five hundred and fifty thousand votes on I.M.D.B., but 'Goodfellas' has only three hundred and twenty-five thousand and 'Casino' barely over a hundred and fifty thousand. Sad. But Francis Ford went on to make an infinitely better film only seven years later, and his daughter an unutterably better one three decades later, and so the Family thrives. Expand
  14. HenryS.
    May 4, 2004
    I disliked this movie very much... there have been better mafia movies than this.
  15. JoeF
    Jan 17, 2010
    Masterpiece of $&!%. The ratio of 10 ratings is a excellent example of how dependent peoples minds are on the status quo. If you were to watch this movie without ever hearing about it you would most likely find it to be a well scripted dull movie and nothing more.
  16. ZachS.
    Feb 5, 2007
    Wow. That's all I have to say, this film was just horribly overrated.... I mean it's not a bad film or anything, but it is too boring and none of the characters are really likable.
  17. RyanJ.
    Jul 18, 2007
    I don't know where all of you get off. "Oh I like The Godfather.. you know, and The Beatles, and bread, and water, and breathing" please can we get out of the mentality that we have to venerate this movie. Sure. Watch it once. Recall that the baby boomer generation will revere it until they die off. I say at that point we don't show this movie to kids born in the 21st century. next!
  18. DavidC.
    Sep 25, 2007
    Ok if by 100 you mean its worth seeing if you get paid $100 dollars but I would not even see it again for that much worse time of my life and the only reason i didn't leave is because it was raining out side. This movie was the worse I hope critics get shot for saying other wise.
  19. ShawnM.
    Nov 23, 2006
    Mumbling Brando is what he should be called. I just didn't see what the big deal was about. I like period movies, dramas, etc., so I thought I would love this film. It left me completely unmoved. Which made it even more confusing - why the raving critical praise? So I rated it below grade because I felt my time was robbed from me. I've seen better crime films and dramas.
  20. JimBobJones
    Jan 9, 2008
    The most overrated and boring thing i have ever seen. It was just a bunch of stuff that happened for three hours. No point, no meaning, no feeling. Get off the bandwaggon!
  21. OverRated
    Aug 13, 2008
    Completely over rated ... nuff said.
  22. AlexanderT.
    Jul 12, 2006
    This movie sucks.
  23. AlexanderT.
    Sep 4, 2007
    This movie sucks.
  24. Jan 11, 2013
    This is the only movie I've ever watched that has put me to sleep. I imagine that the entire movie could have been put into about 1/8th the time and still have retained all of its meaning.
  25. SeanM.
    Nov 12, 2003
    Excuse me, how did this movie get a 100, the metacritic calculation failed to factor in the last entry which would inevitably knock down the score to a 99. I personally have never seen the movie but I am just pointing out the fact that the critism of the movie is very bias towards it being perfect and classic. [Ed: Sean, take a look at the scoring explained page re: normalization.]
  26. Aug 4, 2012
    You know how when a friend is telling you a personal anecdote that he thinks is hilarious, but you don't find very funny, he'll say "you had to have been there." That's kind of how I feel about The Godfather. By the time I watched this movie I'd seen so many impersonations of Don Corleone and parodies that it all felt almost comical. Putting all that aside (if that's even possible), IYou know how when a friend is telling you a personal anecdote that he thinks is hilarious, but you don't find very funny, he'll say "you had to have been there." That's kind of how I feel about The Godfather. By the time I watched this movie I'd seen so many impersonations of Don Corleone and parodies that it all felt almost comical. Putting all that aside (if that's even possible), I still didn't enjoy this movie. I found myself checking how much more I had to sit through multiple times. And having seen what Al Pacino is capable of, he seems very wooden in this. My conclusion is that if you managed to see this movie before pop culture appropriated it and fed you their versions, then you'll likely love it. If like me you weren't around in the 70's, you might not get that much from it. In other words, you had to have been there. Expand
  27. Dec 12, 2013
    I would say The Godfather is very overrated. It has terribly tedious delivery, and is basically just three hours of guys in suits sitting at a table talking about business.
  28. Mike
    Feb 14, 2005
    Finally got to see this movie for the first time and I was really disappointed! I couldnt believe it. The movie does have some good moments. But its just isnt enough for the high critical accalim it recieved.

1. Just about as great as a movie's ever gonna be... As for the storytellng, The Godfather is an intricately constructed gem that simultaneously kicks ass.
    The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion... It was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual.
    The wedding sequence... is a virtuoso stretch of filmmaking: Coppola brings his large cast onstage so artfully that we are drawn at once into the Godfather's world.