9.0

1. May 2, 2013
    There are movies that I cannot judge with no bias as to its popularity. This is one of them. Consistently said to be one of the greatest movies of all time, what I found very fascinating about it are Marlon Brando, and the movie's authenticity. I read the book after having watched the movie. So, each and every page I went through, I couldn't help getting Brando's image on my mind over and again. I mean, I am so absorbed in his acting that I started living alongside him for the few days in which I went past the book. And the authenticity, yes, it sure enough has enough to make viewer feel it's been made amid 1950s Newyork. And there were this one-liners Offer you cant refuse and all. Add to the terrific things, Tom Hagen yes, I still recall Duvall as Hagen and Al pacino. Pacino in particular takes acting to a new level. Things only he can do with absolute coldness. It is a well made movie with one of the all time great cast giving out brilliant performances. I also would like to add, I still prefer the part 2 over this one, partly because of the fact that I am floored by De niro and Pacino in it and owing to some personal affection. Expand
  2. Dec 21, 2013
    Greatest movie of all time enough said... about 5 of the best actors of our life time all give oscar performances.. best acted film of all time and not to mention the best screenplay of all time.. love pacino in this but brando, caan, and duvall also give us oscar perfor.. does not get any better than this.. at least i havent seen it yet
  3. Jul 6, 2013
    The Godfather is one of the greatest films ever made. Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Robert De Niro it can not get any better than that.
  4. May 20, 2013
    Seems impossible anyone can make any movie better than The Godfather especially in the drama genre,
    It is by now thoroughly integrated into American life, and the film had the largest impact.
    Some characters will remain ever and ever in the cinema.
  5. Jul 24, 2014
    Review Date: July 24, 2014. Movie Review #1: The Godfather

If I ever get a job offer to write Movie Reviews and get paid for it, it is an offer I can't refuse. This movie is often quotable to those that have seen it and it is no surprise that this film affected pop culture to a certain degree. There was a time where it got a lot of dough and was a hit which in turn became the highest
    grossing motion picture at a time back in the 1970's when The Godfather succeeded in the box office. Times have changed and this film is no longer the highest grossing motion picture but still to this day, it still remains as a remarkable film. Is there anything that has not been said about The Godfather? Probably not, but that is not going to stop me from sharing my thoughts regarding Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece.

The Godfather is a tale of a New York Mafia family and their struggle to protect their empire from rival families as the leadership switches from the father to his youngest son which carries a heavy weight.

This film often gets praised for its acting and that's no surprise there. Even though The Godfather ended up as a trilogy, Most of the cast may have left a huge impression in the second Godfather film but the first movie still has terrific acting throughout the entire film. Marlon Brando's performance as Don Corelone is very likely and arguably his best role in his film career. Even though the late Marlon Brando was a well-respected actor before and since The Godfather, He was not the only reason that The Godfather is a great film. The casting is a rather interesting one since it contains actors that either have been around for a number of years or actors that are quite new but had a couple roles. James Caan plays a hot-tempered Sonny, Robert Duvall has a great voice of reason in playing Tom Hagen, Diane Keaton plays her supporting role quite fittingly as Kay Adams, and Al Pacino's performance really makes Michael Corleone an intriguing character in the film and that carries on in the later films. The entire performance of every cast member feels natural even if there were a number of takes shot in the movie. Some may say that this movie has some of the greatest acting in the history of cinema, but I think that would be a bit of a stretch to make that claim. The entire cast makes all the characters believable and realistic in their portrayal. The Godfather might not be the most realistic portrayal of the Mafia, but it is certainly the most romanticized Mafia movie. However there are some realistic moments which is the brutality that The Godfather portrays, and Khartoum was the first example of this film's brutality. I also don't think that the brutality is a way of glorifying violence in the film, it is first and foremost a cinematic portrait of the Mafia, and it also serves as a thought provoking character study which carries on in the later films. It may be a romanticized portrait of the Mafia, and it may be a bit realistic in its brutal moments, but it doesn't feel out of place. Considering the film is set in the 1940's with the notion that it is a romaticized portrayal of the Mafia, there's a theme of moral ambiguity that allows the viewer to think and question about the character inside the movie, I find it strange that outside of the movie, it is possible that a viewer (and myself if I may add) finds the moral ambiguity fascinating in The Godfather. It carries on in the story that is told in the film.

One of the fitting touches is the music by Nino Rota and it's a bit predictable that it has that Italian sound but it is extremely fitting to the film. Like the film itself, Nino Rota's Film score to The Godfather is highly regarded as one of the greatest film scores in cinema, I can say it's hard not to like. It definitely has the Italian feeling and it compliments the movie perfectly. I should add an interesting additional note that Carmine Coppola (the father of Francis Ford Coppola) did compose some of the additional music I find this kind of interesting considering that the Father and Son relationship between Michael and Vito was intriguely written. If that isn't interesting enough, Francis Ford Coppola put his daughter Sofia in the movie too with a cameo appearance as a baby boy. Some members of the family may have been involved in this movie and even the later Godfather films, but family also plays a theme in The Godfather. Another nice element that gives the film its elegance is Gordon Willis' cinematography. The film is shot well, the movie looks like it is in the 1940's. The cars you will see in the movie were cars made in the 1940's and this movie was only made in 1972 so it wasn't too difficult to find vehicles like that. The design is fitting for this film because of its setting. Overall, The entire movie is shot extremely well. Even though this is an adaptation of Mario Puzo's novel of the same name published in 1969. Mario Puzo and Francis Ford Coppola did write the screenplay, and regardless if the movie faithfully follows the book from the first page to the last, Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo are contempt with the changes that are there from Book to Movie. Even though The Godfather is a considered one of the greatest movies ever made. I was very close in rating this film a 10 out of 10, but I noticed a couple hiccups in the film, even though they are small errors they are not influencing me to change my mind that I find The Godfather to be a terrific film, those who saw the movie at face value can unanimously agree that The Godfather is a great film. My philosophy of "The 10 rating" is that it is as great as it is ever going to get. They are not perfect because of a rating like that. There could be some mistakes, and some miniscule flaws that can be found but are excused. Even if that were the case, they don't ruin the movie whatsoever. There really is no such thing as a perfect movie. Francis Ford Coppola pulled the strings with the terrific acting, excellent cinematography, fitting music, believable characters, and an intriguing plot. It is not only one of Francis Ford Coppola's masterpieces, it is one of the masterpieces in cinema

This film gets my Thumbs Up, it's a 5-star film.

My overall rating of The Godfather is a 9.9 out of 10, it is an excellent film.
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    This film is a masterpiece. Has great plot, fabulous actors and magnificent story. I liked it a lot. The film on the restaurant is really good. I liked it in general but i think it's over-rated too. Though it's a good film and a must-see
  7. Nov 29, 2013
    Yeah so I guess I have to be that guy who says that he doesn't like "the best movie of all-time" the godfather. I love crime type movies and I went into this movie expecting something great. Unfortunately, this films incredibly long film time and boredom made it feel like 6 hours. Godfather definitely has some great performances especially from Marlon Brando, but that doesn't help me from wanting to fall asleep within the first 45 minutes. Goodfellas is the much superior movie for me as that movie is well acted, based on a true story, and entertaining. Expand
  8. Jun 19, 2013
    I do not believe this is the greatest movie ever made. I do believe it is the greatest drama ever created. The Godfather is beautiful. The characters give believable and moving performances, and the story itself is gripping. It's hard to say a movie, such as the Godfather, is better than Quentin Tarantino's masterpiece, Pulp Fiction, simply because they are worlds apart, but for what this movie aspires to be, it delivers on every level. Expand
  9. Aug 30, 2013
    The Godfather is a very good movie. If there were not many dialogues in this film I would have rated it with 9. It's not for 10 I think. And, it's 3 hours. You can see that it's getting boring in some parts of the film. The best movie of the trilogy was the second.
  10. Jul 18, 2013
    This is the greatest movie ever made. Marlon Brando gives the performance of a lifetime, again. Each supporting actor gives a stellar performance. It is superbly paced, and the running time doesn't fell long at all. If you have not seen this movie, go now and watch it.
  11. Jul 29, 2013
    La pelicula tiene muchas capas como una cebolla. Tiene la particularidad que uno la ve varias veces en su vida, y al margen que siempre se disfruta, va cambiando la percepcion de la misma
  12. Apr 16, 2014
    En su época esta película fue muy reveladora con el tema de pelis de Gangster, gran escenografia en retratando esos años 40, unas interpretaciones soberbias, la banda sonora, una historia muy cruda y a la vez maravillosa. Imprescindible.
  13. Aug 22, 2013
    Artful, visually and historically realistic, Francis Ford Coppola makes his mark as his epic saga depicts in clear detail the dramatic story of a mafia family and it's struggles with the conflicts of other families in the heart of crime-filled New York City
  14. Sep 16, 2013
    The movie was good. It was a good movie. #swaghestepikyololkejoidwajiojfaeliæjaflæwjfpoijkawfiopkwpodfkapåfwifpoawjfopawkfpowakfpåkawfpåwakfpåkwapokjfwpkfwa
  15. Oct 15, 2013
    Before there was Goodfellas, Donnie Brasco, The Departed, and Once Upon a Time in America there was the Godfather the "godfather" of all gangster movies, the "godfather" of the 70s, and the "godfather" of Francis Ford Coppola's career. It always hit the right notes, and doesn't miss any of them. It has not only reached its expectations, but also made numerous benchmarks for American cinema. Handled by Francis Ford Coppola's direction and screenplay (co-written with Mario Puzo, the movie was based on his novel), amazing performances by Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, etc., superb editing, cinematography, and Nino Rota's amazing score it is such a "masterpiece", that I wish to watch it again, over and over. The Godfather is everything you expected, when it comes to gangster movies.
    "A wedding. A horse's head. A gun in a restaurant toilet. Sicily. Another wedding. A car bomb. A toll-booth. A orange peel. A baptism. A closed door."
  16. Nov 23, 2013
    this is absolutely one of the best movies i've ever saw in my hole life,it have brilliant actings and an outstanding script,it deserves more oscars than just 3 prizes.
  17. Nov 22, 2013
    A Legend.From here on the genre Gangster was born,no movie could ever match The Godfather.
    It is not one of the best,it in fact is the best .You just cannot ask for anything more in a movie!!
  18. Nov 24, 2013
    A prime example of realism at its finest. The aesthetics of the film are quite possibly the greatest, and most accurate, in cinematic history. A brilliant film with a superb, all-star lineup.
  19. Dec 2, 2013
    The Godfather is not only one the greatest film of all movies, It became a landmark achievement in the history of movie cinema, It's so riveting & powerful -Jonathan32042talks
    (First Review)
  20. Dec 9, 2013
    I'm not a writer or a critic so I can't really tell you why this movie is perfect... but I know it is because of how I feel every time I see it. I'm moved.
  21. Dec 18, 2013
    I'm going to throw him an offer he cant refuse The greatest film of all time words simply cannot give what marlon brando and coppola did for this movie is just showing you that nothing is impossible
  22. Dec 12, 2013
    I would say The Godfather is very overrated. It has terribly tedious delivery, and is basically just three hours of guys in suits sitting at a table talking about business.
  23. Dec 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Godfather is simply the god of films, it was a privilege to watch the Oscar winning performance of Marlon Brando, who conquered the role Vito Corleone. The film was a different class and is filled with incredible plots that is delivered in a fantastic mafia way. I recommend it to everyone even if they aren't into the gangster style films, it was no doubt the greatest film ever made. Each character resonates with you and the brilliant anti-hero role of Michael Corleone was a true gift to watch, which Al Pacino does not get enough credit for and was a genius replacement for Vito his father who's character was very difficult to equal.
    The scene in the restaurant between Michael, Sollozzo and McCluskey was magnificent and couldn't have been done any better, the suspense was outstanding from the bit Michael came back with the gun to the part he left the table with bullets in both men.
    When talking about leading you into movies, the Godfather pulled you in straight away the acting from Brando was intriguingly flawless. The first scene straight away brought the character Vito Corleone to life! We were never sure what Vito would say or what Michael would do, or how Sonny would react, which made me fall in love with the movie. And of course a big hand to the director Francis Ford Coppola, who brought us a film of pure gold that bestows the control of power from one generation to the other and character development of Michael was something special, when his father was shot the change took you by storm and when Sonny died he looked past justice and finished what his father had started, it was displayed with no fault what so ever and t all in all could not have been any better. The film take's you down the road of the powerful family crime dynasty and will blow your mind.
    The Godfather, is an offer you can't refuse.
  24. Jan 6, 2014
    One masterpiece i dunno any cons for this movie
    Epic movie which shows you the America of 30's and the sins of the american dream
    One of the best mafia movies ever seen and the best from the trilogy
  25. Mar 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. one of the greatest movies ever made... and also the best gangster film ever .. strong performance from the cast and good crew. excellent direction from ff coppala. Expand
  26. Jan 31, 2014
    One of the best movies of all-time. You need to watch this before you exit this earth. Every character on this film is a fit. A good balance of drama and thriller. It keeps you on the edge of your seat. A true classic.
  27. Feb 14, 2014
    This film was amazing. With great and true honesty it was, however I do believe it might be overrated just a bit. I liked it. From start to finish the story line was enough to keep someone watching. Without a doubt one of the greatest films I've seen. But In my opinion overrated.
  28. Mar 6, 2014
    The Godfather is the Coppola´s masterpiece, for many the best movie ever made. In my opinion the best movie ever made. The book writen by Mario Puzo is it self a masterpiece and the adapted screenplay is GREAT.
  29. Apr 1, 2014
    Masterfully done, and I am not just saying that. I watched the whole thing, and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen until the credits rolled. Summary, BEST MOVIE EVER.
  30. Mar 11, 2014
    The Godfather is unarguably the greatest film of all time. It dominates all its predecessors and its successors. Great acting performances also contribute to its magnificence.
  31. chw
    Jul 18, 2014
    The Godfather is a really really good movie. Through the 175 minutes of The Godfather, there is never a part that is boring or doesn't make any sense.
  32. May 20, 2014
    All though those three hours were a bit exhausting to me, I would still say that watching "The Godfather" was exiting and thrilling, and I would recommend it to everyone, just so everyone could see what the buzz over this film is all about.
  33. Apr 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this movie over 5 years now. I've seen a lot of movies since that time and none of it will ever compare to this masterpiece. Al Pacino is the best gangster ever! It did changed my ideology. Just a few movies could do that and that is one of them! Expand
  34. Apr 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Godfather Review
    by Al Carlson

The Godfather is a film considered by most to be one of the greatest ever made. From The American Film Institute to as voted by users on the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) it is consider to be one of the best. As a film that ranks as high as other masterpieces including Citizen Kane, Pulp Fiction and 12 Angry Men, The Godfather is an exceptional piece of cinema excellence that is flawless and is simply the pinnacle crime drama.
    The Godfather revolves around the Corleone’s, an Italian family with deep roots in the New York City mafia. The head of the Corleone’s is Don Vito Corleone, a man who takes care of his family and demands respect in return. His son Michael however, who just returned home from World War II, doesn’t want to become involved with the family business. The Sollozzo’s, a family of drug dealers, confront Don and request protection in exchange for profits from the Sollozzo’s drug sales. But Don declines the offer, for he is against selling narcotics. The rejected offer starts what turns into an all out mafia war between the two families with Michael diving deep into the mafia lifestyle.
    The characters are portrayed by a legendary all-star cast including Marlon Brando as Don, Al Pacino as his son Michael and James Caan as Don’s oldest son Sonny. The casting for this film has been considered by many to be the best casted film in history for their astonishing performances. All three main actors were nominated for an academy award, but only Marlon Brando won an Oscar for best actor in a leading role. It’s fascinating to watch how these characters change over the course of the movie, with one in particular changing drastically.
    Directer Francis Ford Coppola, being raised in an Italian-American family in New York, understood Italian culture exceptionally and made the film very authentically. Everything from the wedding dances to the cuisine to the terms used by the characters in Sicilian come from Coppola’s first-hand knowledge of Italian-American culture. Italian composer Nino Rota did an outstanding job making the soundtrack for the film, despite not getting the Oscar for best music (but he did win an Oscar for his work in the sequel, The Godfather: Part II). Virtually everyone recognizes that iconic trumpet solo once it starts playing. He also wrote the score for another great Italian film 8 1/2.
    This film should be immediately followed up by it’s sequel, The Godfather: Part II, which also won best picture. The series still holds the title of most best picture awards for a film series to this day. They’re both flawless crime dramas and have earned their titles as some of the best pieces of cinema ever. I will guarantee you won’t be able to see this film only once, as it gets better after continual viewings. There is really nothing more to add other than if you haven’t seen this movie yet, it’s about time you did. The Godfather is a movie you can’t refuse.
  35. Jun 19, 2014
    An absolute masterpiece. This adaptation of Mario Puzo's novel is perfectly directed and masterfully acted. A never-aging classic that proves that cinematography can be an art.
  36. Apr 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is to damn overrated. This movie was so boring that it took me 13 attempts to watch it. I fell asleep every time I saw it and at last I wanted to complete this movie so badly that I slept and kept an alarm reminding me of watching the godfather. And then I finally completed watching this **** film and was disappointed like hell. The only good point of the movie was the acting and if I would've just watched it maybe I would've given it a 5 /10 but due to the high rating I gave this **** a 0. Expand
  37. May 11, 2014
    Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather is widely considered One of the Greatest Films ever made and there's a reason for that. It's because of its stellar screenplay, the beauty with which Coppola was able to capture capture the slow and subtle corruption of Michael Corleone under particular circumstances and the beauty with which Al Pacino personified that with a tour de Force performance. It just doesn't get much better than this. Th Godfather breaks new boundaries and represents the gold standard in film making. Expand

1. Just about as great as a movie's ever gonna be... As for the storytellng, The Godfather is an intricately constructed gem that simultaneously kicks ass.
    The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion... It was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual.
    The wedding sequence... is a virtuoso stretch of filmmaking: Coppola brings his large cast onstage so artfully that we are drawn at once into the Godfather's world.