9.0

1. AprilM.
    Feb 28, 2006
    A very dramatic film. All I have to say is that I loved it! A succesful movie.
  2. Tonydannie
    Jun 14, 2006
    Unlike a certain comment made by one of tv's favorite charecters. The Godfather is a masterpiece!! This is one of those movies that eventhough you own a copy wether it be on VHS or DVD . As soon as you find a tv station showing it during your usual channel surfing, you can't help but to watch to the point where you are even putting up with commercials. You have it on your shelf Unlike a certain comment made by one of tv's favorite charecters. The Godfather is a masterpiece!! This is one of those movies that eventhough you own a copy wether it be on VHS or DVD . As soon as you find a tv station showing it during your usual channel surfing, you can't help but to watch to the point where you are even putting up with commercials. You have it on your shelf but yet you dont want to get up to pop in in your player.. when the commercials come up you use that time to go to the bath room instead of reaching for your copy. That is in my opinion the essence of a great film. Great acting. great writing. The film stand out as the best in american cinema. After Citizen kane of course. Expand
  3. smithy
    Oct 14, 2007
    Ultimatest movie ever, if you don't think so your a moron.
  4. ChrisS.
    Dec 14, 2007
    Any ratings of below 8 are ridiculous(i.e little kids giving it a 0/10. Morons). This movie is an instant classic, with a riveting storyline and plenty of action. If you don't like the atmosphere of the movie like many of the reviews I have read here, please go and watch Grease. Or just go away.
  5. DA
    Oct 29, 2007
    It's disappointing that some kids want to be rebellious and give it a 0, because as the last reviewer said, nothing's perfect, so nothing is so bad its 0. I do not believe this is the best movie I've seen, i enjoyed goodfellas more along with a few others (Saw, Old School), but this is the classic and will always live on. So if you're in a rebellious mood, please do It's disappointing that some kids want to be rebellious and give it a 0, because as the last reviewer said, nothing's perfect, so nothing is so bad its 0. I do not believe this is the best movie I've seen, i enjoyed goodfellas more along with a few others (Saw, Old School), but this is the classic and will always live on. So if you're in a rebellious mood, please do not review, it's a waste of time for you and any person who reads it. Expand
  6. BobW.
    Mar 19, 2007
    Truly a dark masterpiece with so many famous scenes and lines it passed directly into screen legend status. Created a genre of movies.
  7. JonC.
    Jun 26, 2007
    Not what every critic hypes it up to be, but it's still well done as far as acting and writing. By the way, in response to a random comment by Mike C., "global warming" and fox news have nothing to do with movies...and global warming's been proven to be fake by many scientists, they just can't go too public with it or people like you threaten to kill them (not making that Not what every critic hypes it up to be, but it's still well done as far as acting and writing. By the way, in response to a random comment by Mike C., "global warming" and fox news have nothing to do with movies...and global warming's been proven to be fake by many scientists, they just can't go too public with it or people like you threaten to kill them (not making that up, it's actually happened to a guy). Expand
  8. DavidK
    Jul 16, 2007
    I've only ever seen bits of it and its ok but i read a comment from James K who said "Did not care for it. It insists upon itself" and had to say is that not from family guy when they are in a panic room like setting and peter says that about the godfather?
  9. Kneelb.
    Jul 21, 2007
    Someone please kill ryan j... You deserve to be stabbed repeatedly in the eyeball with a rusty soldering iron. The godfather is the classic perfect movie, period. It stands with the best movies such as pulp fiction, goodfellas, ect. So ryan, think b4 you give a movie a 0 u stupid retard.
  10. WHDelNido
    Mar 27, 2008
    One of the best films ever made. You dont need to like the genre to acknowledge its one of the best.
  11. LeonardoP.
    Apr 11, 2008
    It's a very good movie.It is perfect the acting of Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, James Caan etc. I love this movie, but I don't now why it's one of the better movies of all time. I recommend it.
  12. Hello1
    Jun 21, 2008
    Brilliant film, perfectly juggling the strong racial themes of the italian mafia, with the deep meaningful knowledge they are just men playing a deadly game.
  13. BillV.
    Jun 24, 2008
    The best gangland movie ever made.
  14. DiogoC.
    Jun 28, 2008
    A despite of the boring beginning, the plot gains more and more emotion while the story is being told. At the end, you look back, and realize this was one of the best movies ever.
  15. jacobh.
    Jan 11, 2009
    Possibly the best movie ever made.
  16. TimB
    Nov 10, 2009
    this is a great movie. Most people who do not realize this are simply unable to grasp the complex themes and ideas it conveys. While the are entitled to their own opinions I feel that they should just stop wasting their time bashing a masterpiece and go watch some Micheal Bay movie and call it the s**t.
  17. ZachB
    Oct 11, 2009
    One of the best movies ever made and anyone who says other wise was most likely born after 1995.
  18. C.G.
    Nov 30, 2009
    First time I have seen it, I wasn't impressed at all, not paying much attention. Years later, although I have just learned english in highschol, I have watched the trilogy online, also looking at the script, then I have read it (every fan should, a lot more in depth) and also all the other novels by Mario Puzo I could find online. It changed my life and I have to continue watching First time I have seen it, I wasn't impressed at all, not paying much attention. Years later, although I have just learned english in highschol, I have watched the trilogy online, also looking at the script, then I have read it (every fan should, a lot more in depth) and also all the other novels by Mario Puzo I could find online. It changed my life and I have to continue watching them once in a while to bring the feelings back. Expand
  19. SedrickW
    Oct 14, 2009
    What the hell is wrong with kids these days! The Godfather is the daddy of all movies. The Godfather is hands down to greatest movie ever seen on a TV anywhere in the world ever. That was misspelled horribly I am sorry. But The Godfather is amazing so up yours kids!
  20. jamesjames
    Nov 6, 2009
    People who rate this less than a 9 clearly haven't the first idea about filmmaking, and probably think Micheal bay is the worlds greatest director , go watch transformers and for all you who says its shit (the godfather) not everybody can just switch there brain off and watch a movie that has only 1 purpose and that's line already rich studio dickheads pockets with more money, People who rate this less than a 9 clearly haven't the first idea about filmmaking, and probably think Micheal bay is the worlds greatest director , go watch transformers and for all you who says its shit (the godfather) not everybody can just switch there brain off and watch a movie that has only 1 purpose and that's line already rich studio dickheads pockets with more money, the likes of saw transformers all that eye candy retard shit has nothing to do with the art and craft of filmaking ,nothing to do with an artists vision but instead its just a cash cow ,if you don't like the likes of transformers and that shit than your a slave,art is about an artists vision,an what he or she wants to show you and wants to say,not what they think you wanna c,u idiots probably think prison break and 24 are better than the wire and the sopranos. Expand
  21. NiallK
    Nov 9, 2009
    I have to agree that this is the finest piece of cinema ever made. Fantastic acting performances, an enthralling, deep story, and all the atmosphere of a childhood Christmas. In my opinion, anyone who gives this less than a 9 either didn't understand the movie, never saw it or is just being too elitist to recognise greatness. I for one still get chills when the theme music fades in I have to agree that this is the finest piece of cinema ever made. Fantastic acting performances, an enthralling, deep story, and all the atmosphere of a childhood Christmas. In my opinion, anyone who gives this less than a 9 either didn't understand the movie, never saw it or is just being too elitist to recognise greatness. I for one still get chills when the theme music fades in as I load up the DVD yet again. A show-case in how to make a classic. It saddens me that great art such as this is called "borin lol". Epitomises the word "epic". Nothing, bar its successor comes even moderately close. Expand
  22. EveIll
    Dec 29, 2009
    Wow. The best movie I have ever seen. Period. If you have seen this movie you shouldn't be allowed to rate others, because it will influence your rating so much. Watch it.
  23. williambill
    Feb 19, 2009
    Brilliant performances by Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, James Caan, and Robert Duvall. This is one of the greatest films of all time.
  24. TonyC
    Feb 22, 2009
    Possibly the best movie Ive ever seen. Excellent!
  25. BlindS
    Aug 11, 2009
    THe Godfather is a brilliant piece of work and those who see it as dull and boring have no taste for Drama. If entertainment means bullets flying at every second, than The Gadfather was not the choice for you.
  26. jonathonc
    Aug 18, 2009
    An incredible piece of work easily one of the best movies ever made if you put this up against modern movies like American gangster or the new star wars series this will wipe the floor with them.
  27. MarkK.
    Aug 22, 2009
    Bob N is an idiot. This movie is great! And by saying that I don't mean "great" as in "good movie" I mean "great" as in "a movie revolutisionizing every aspect of the gangster genre" A lot of people thinks it's too long, (Too much movie to handle) but with a little patience and a mature mind you are sure to find this movie exciting and unlike anything else! Fantastic!
  28. AdamV.
    Dec 14, 2004
    This is the greatest movie of all. The work of Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo to create a story and make a movie that shows the inner workings of the mafia is amazing. What is most outstanding about this movie, however, is how it portrays the gangsters as good people. We see it from their side of the story, and we don't see many of the bad things they do, like the rapes, This is the greatest movie of all. The work of Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo to create a story and make a movie that shows the inner workings of the mafia is amazing. What is most outstanding about this movie, however, is how it portrays the gangsters as good people. We see it from their side of the story, and we don't see many of the bad things they do, like the rapes, prostitution, and drugs. Expand
  29. NickG
    Nov 16, 2005
    The critics and the people agree: Best Movie Ever.
  30. GerrickC.
    Dec 19, 2006
    The Godfather shows what goes on in the minds and realities of underworld men. It shows their good side, and it shows their ugly side. Al Pacino plays his character flawlessly. The movie is a masterpiece in drama and respect, and it is my favorite Al Pacino movie.
  31. MorkusY.
    Nov 27, 2007
    The acting was so incredible in this movie it wouldn't matter what the plot or story was.
  32. DoubleM
    Dec 13, 2007
    First of all, i want to start by saying that i didn't like it the first time i saw it, really. I was confused and even a bit pissed, i was like "so this is the one of the greatest movie ever?!", and that's exactly the problem this movie (among others) can have; it's reputaion. I remember i had high anticipation and was very excited and eager when i started wathcing, and First of all, i want to start by saying that i didn't like it the first time i saw it, really. I was confused and even a bit pissed, i was like "so this is the one of the greatest movie ever?!", and that's exactly the problem this movie (among others) can have; it's reputaion. I remember i had high anticipation and was very excited and eager when i started wathcing, and that distracted me and totally ruined the experience... Then later, i accidently found it starting on TV. As i didn't like it before i didn't plan to watch, but actually a few minutes later i was INTO IT till it ended ("Don Corleone" then the door shuts, i LOVE that moment that i have to mention it. That doesn't count as a spoiler, right?), i wanted to say something like whoa! but i was speechless. So what was different this time? well, i was relaxed with a clear mind, no anticipation, no distraction, i was just enjoying a movie, and what a movie it is. I've seen it many times since, and a good way to seperate the "really great" movies from the "just ok" is how they stand repeated viewings, i've found that many movies i liked lose their appeal or even make me wonder "i liked that BS?!", but the truly great movies get better, and The Godfather is one of these. So, for all the those who are confused about it or don't know why it's praised, i understand where you're coming froml, you may want to be a little more open minded and see it again. Or maybe wait till you get a little older, watch more movies and know more about filmmaking if you're too young (i was 16 when i first saw it, i'm now 20 and i view movies very differntly now). Now, there's no point in talking about the movie itself, you can find thousands of reviews all over the web and i won't add anything new when i say how perfect it is. I just wanted to tell my experience maybe someone find it useful. By the way, about the whole "best/greatest film ever", i don't think there's such one, but giving it a 0 without giving valid reasons or arguments is just a sign of immature behavior. Another thing, i'm not surprised with people who say Scarface is superior, i know how many hardcore gangstas, wiggers, badasses and 'tough' teens surf the net. Scarface is entertaining and i like it, but it has too many flaws form a very simple story to thin characters to over the top botched action scenes. It is probably remembered for the memorable lines. Tony Montana is a VERY FLAT character compared to Michael Corleone, and Scarface lacks the depth and complexity of The Godfather, maybe that is the point. Expand
  33. TIP
    Dec 15, 2007
    This is truly the greatest movie ever made, a hallmark in American Cinema. Al Pacino's class is unsurpassable. He is the greatest anti-hero actor i have ever seen.
  34. HC
    Nov 23, 2009
    I love this movie. I don't think it is too long. I think it has subtle layers to define the whole story. If this isn't the best movie ever, it is in a short list at the top.
  35. JohnT
    Nov 25, 2009
    There will be never a mob movies so well made. This show us how the Mafia is organized with an amazing attention to detail. They really turned it into something that is human. It is not like other mob movies, from the latest years, that is just a bunch of killing scenes without any sense. And Marlon Brando acting is the best I ever had the opportunity to see. He is a man that is cold when There will be never a mob movies so well made. This show us how the Mafia is organized with an amazing attention to detail. They really turned it into something that is human. It is not like other mob movies, from the latest years, that is just a bunch of killing scenes without any sense. And Marlon Brando acting is the best I ever had the opportunity to see. He is a man that is cold when needed but that show his emotions when talking about family. He shows us that even a mobster isn't much different from the common people. I think that, above everything, this movie is about family, although being an mob family. Expand
  36. Aug 22, 2010
    this is a great film . its basically the story of the old generation of the mob being taking over by the new younger generation. great performances are done by all . the story telling is pretty well done all be it there are some slow downs where things seem they drag on abit to long and gets alittle dull. for the most part though its a entertaining story that will be wached for years to come .
  37. Nov 25, 2011
    The Godfather is, what I think, a vastly overrated movie. However it does have its strength, and upon a second viewing I was able to enjoy it. But it's its sequel that's the true masterpiece.
  38. Jul 3, 2011
    The Godfather is the first in a trilogy of gangster movies. This movie practically made gangster movies popular. The Godfather is a great, artistic, famous gangster movie.
  39. Aug 26, 2010
    Oh! I was there was a rating scale of more than 10 on Metacritic!
    The Godfather/Il Padrino...Best Movie Ever Made...No wonder it's on top!
    101 from my side if I was to score like a critic instead a user!!!!!
  40. Dec 19, 2010
    The best movie ever! Perfect everything perfect charachters, story, and score! Its amazing and fun to watch! The charachter developmnt is great and so is everything else!!! The best movie ever!!
  41. May 31, 2011
    The script by Coppola and the novel's author, Mario Puzo, opens at the wedding of the Godfather's daughter. This richly textured montage immediately sets the tone for the entire story. The Corleone family represents the ideal American family -- loyal and loving. All families have flaws, and theirs has to do with the family business. Everyone in the family, except the young college kid andThe script by Coppola and the novel's author, Mario Puzo, opens at the wedding of the Godfather's daughter. This richly textured montage immediately sets the tone for the entire story. The Corleone family represents the ideal American family -- loyal and loving. All families have flaws, and theirs has to do with the family business. Everyone in the family, except the young college kid and war hero Michael (Al Pacino), is involved in the family's illegal business. Murder being the price of entry in their trade, the Corleone clan has long since been desensitized to violence by the requirements of their jobs. Only Michael appears untouched by the evil around him. Michael tells a frightening family story to his future wife, Kay Adams (Diane Keaton), but distances himself from it. "That's my family, Kay," he assures her. "It's not me." Anna Hill Johnstone's costumes for Michael almost always include preppie ties to reinforce his putative innocence. Expand
  42. Apr 9, 2011
    Fantastic film, although rather overrated. The characters are almost perfect, the story is almost perfect, and the dialogue is almost perfect. Everything else is just good. No more, no less.
  43. Oct 19, 2010
    The Godfather is a classic because it is a damn great movie. You can argue forever about issues of it glorifying the Mafia etc. but what it does do is glorify the concept of family. A great cast led by Marlon Brando, James Caan, Robert Duvall and Al Pacino, it boasts an incredible soundtrack as well. Slow and not very action packed, it may not appeal too well to most modern audiences todayThe Godfather is a classic because it is a damn great movie. You can argue forever about issues of it glorifying the Mafia etc. but what it does do is glorify the concept of family. A great cast led by Marlon Brando, James Caan, Robert Duvall and Al Pacino, it boasts an incredible soundtrack as well. Slow and not very action packed, it may not appeal too well to most modern audiences today but this should stand as one of the greatest films of all time. Expand
  44. Oct 17, 2010
    The Godfather turned out to be my favorite movie of all time. Before this movie I didn't like long 2:30 plus movies but after I watched it I had a whole new view of films. This is a near perfect movie for real.
  45. Dec 19, 2010
    I think anyone that says anything bad about The Godfather is saying it for the sake of being different from everyone else. It's a great movie, it has a great storyline and it's characters are universally regarded as some of the best in cinematic history. The actors in it, especially Pacino and Brando, are amazing in their roles as Michael and Vito but they're not the only stars of the showI think anyone that says anything bad about The Godfather is saying it for the sake of being different from everyone else. It's a great movie, it has a great storyline and it's characters are universally regarded as some of the best in cinematic history. The actors in it, especially Pacino and Brando, are amazing in their roles as Michael and Vito but they're not the only stars of the show as Cazale and Caan shine as Fredo and Sonny. Expand
  46. Nov 26, 2011
    There is a reason why its considered one of the greatest films of all time. The Godfather is as near perfect as perfect can be and its great from start to finish.
  47. Jan 28, 2011
    An excellent adapted script, an unforgettable ensemble, an amazing score, excellent quotes, and unforgettable moments, The Godfather is nothing short of a masterpiece!
  48. May 3, 2011
    A piece of cinema that will live on until the world is burnt up by the sun, if it will be for the fantastic story, rich characters, great performances, gritty mafia realism or just the fact that it is a catchphrase goldmine. One thing is sure, this will live on in history as one of the best cinema pieces ever.
  49. Feb 23, 2011
    Great movie, go watch it. I'm tired of the bickering classics like this get today that apparently don't "stand the test of time". what is this test of time? is it color, better sound quality, special effects? Hopefully people will realize one day that these things add to a movie. A beautiful story like this is still great today and unlike special effect junkie movies such as G.I Joe,Great movie, go watch it. I'm tired of the bickering classics like this get today that apparently don't "stand the test of time". what is this test of time? is it color, better sound quality, special effects? Hopefully people will realize one day that these things add to a movie. A beautiful story like this is still great today and unlike special effect junkie movies such as G.I Joe, Transformers, ext... this movie will still be great in another 30 years from now. Expand
  50. May 16, 2011
    The most underated movie ever. It deserves well beyond 100 out of 100. All of the people that gave it bellow 80 are either mentally disabled or can't tell the difference between a good and bad movie.
  51. Mar 8, 2011
    Some people wonder why this film is considered a classic. If you seriously can't get that from the moment Nino Rota's unbelievable main theme starts playing and from one look at Marlon Brandon's face half obscured by shadow then you obviously never will understand what "classic" really means.
  52. Mar 21, 2011
    Wonderful film, wonderful direction, marvelous cast, record-breaking performance from Marlon Brando, Al Pacino and Robert Duvall. Great Direction of Francis Ford Coppola, loved the opening scene, and the five-heads-of-mafia-families' round-table meeting.
  53. Apr 1, 2011
    Truly one of Hollywood's greatest achievements. It may take a few viewings to fully grasp the film. I certainly didn't care for it on my first viewing. But it will gradually pull you in with each viewing. 4-star Classic!
  54. Apr 19, 2011
    phenomenal. obviously one of the best movies ever made. great acting, great music, great screenplay, great directing. i cant express my excitement with just words
  55. May 7, 2011
    This is probably the greatest movie of all time, it involves the pillars of storytelling. Love, Family, Conspiracy,Triumph!!! All of these elements are weaved flawlessly through the telling of the Corleone Family. There is no better movie out there that can compare because most NOT all cannot combine these elements because the story is to shallow. This movie is why I love to watchThis is probably the greatest movie of all time, it involves the pillars of storytelling. Love, Family, Conspiracy,Triumph!!! All of these elements are weaved flawlessly through the telling of the Corleone Family. There is no better movie out there that can compare because most NOT all cannot combine these elements because the story is to shallow. This movie is why I love to watch movies of all genres, it is the measuring stick to all films. Expand
  56. May 10, 2011
    In my opinion the best movie of all times. Everyone who wants to learn cinema should watch it at least once a year (so I try). Some films are "must seen" but this one is THE must seen.

To MikeC. well, I am sure global warming is fake, but still give it a 10... and never watch Fox News.... anyways it is true that if someone votes this film with 0... well maybe he shouldn't be considered human....
  57. Jun 4, 2011
    This movie takes more than 1 viewings to really love it. When I first watched it I felt for the characters, but by the end I was like "That's it? Where's the big payoff?" Then I watched it 2 more times and found the genius of this movie. This is a required viewing for anyone.
  58. Jun 17, 2011
    I will list every way in which The Godfather is not perfect: the lighting in the car that takes Michael to the big meeting with Sollozzo is a slightly too red and artificial looking. The movie is perfect in every other way.
  59. Aug 25, 2011
    its certainly the greatest movie of all time. the character building,showing aspects of human nature, an emotionally satisfying story as well as providing entertainment for a 3 hour movie is phenomenal. It showcases the brilliance of Francis Ford Coppola in his early years of film making which sets the mood for the entirety of the film.
  60. Jun 28, 2011
    Between the people saying this movie sucked and the ones saying it was amazing I must inform you all this movie was both good and great. It was good in how amusing it was and how it made you feel watching it. It was great in how it changed films forever and how it was amazingly groundbreaking. The Godfather is widely regarded as the greatest movie of all time... but it IS not howeverBetween the people saying this movie sucked and the ones saying it was amazing I must inform you all this movie was both good and great. It was good in how amusing it was and how it made you feel watching it. It was great in how it changed films forever and how it was amazingly groundbreaking. The Godfather is widely regarded as the greatest movie of all time... but it IS not however regarded as the best movie. Expand
  61. Nov 25, 2011
    Boring? Really? I'm twelve and I watched the whole thing in one sitting, not to mention it's my favorite movie. So, seriously, go watch some of Al Pacino's latest films if you don't like this. You'll probably love "Jack and Jill".
  62. Jan 9, 2012
    Qu'il est bon de voir et revoir ce chef-d'oeuvre qu'est incontestablement Le Parrain! Ce film qui surpasse tout long-métrage racontant des histoires mafieuses (Scarface, Donnie Brasco, Les Affranchis...) qui ont été réalisés jusqu'à ce jour. Il est sûr que le rythme de ce Parrain estQu'il est bon de voir et revoir ce chef-d'oeuvre qu'est incontestablement Le Parrain! Ce film qui surpasse tout long-métrage racontant des histoires mafieuses (Scarface, Donnie Brasco, Les Affranchis...) qui ont été réalisés jusqu'à ce jour. Il est sûr que le rythme de ce Parrain est plutôt lent (sans compter sa durée de 2h58), mais c'est justement cela qui fait son charme : pendant 3h, on se préoccupe bien plus du destin d'une famille de la mafia plutôt que de ses agissements violents et inégaux. Ainsi, les protagonistes sont travaillés, écrits et interprétés à la perfection! Mais Le Parrain peut également compter sur sa bande son et sa mise en scène (jeux de lumière, photographie, décors, costumes, maquillages...) qui le rendent authentique et envoûtant de bout en bout. Un véritable pilier du cinéma! Expand
  63. Aug 31, 2011
    this is a brilliant classic mob movie, that everyone should have definitely watched before they die. most people will love this movie. a well deserved 10 out of 10.
  64. Aug 31, 2011
    The greatest gane if all time nothing can compare to this movies greatness. Creating the perfect anti-hero, The Godfather is a movie like no other.
  65. Sep 7, 2011
    What a movie! Francis Ford Coppola's epic thriller â
  66. Sep 15, 2011
    "The Godfather" is one of the few cinema classics that deserves every bit of the word it's always labeled with, masterpiece. One of the greatest films ever made, only to be surpassed later by its sequel.
  67. Sep 22, 2011
    Pacino?, Brando?, Duvall? What else can you ask for. An absolute classic, arguably the best film to hit the screen in the last few decades.. if i had a list of 100 best films it would be 2nd. just behind The Godfather II which i would say is just slightly better with De Niro's portrayal as the young Vito Corleone.
  68. Oct 18, 2011
    A terrific movie showing the life of olden time mobsters and what they encountered. But I warn you don't watch it if you are under the age of 10. A great film i love it I really think it might be the best movie I've ever seen and I think every human being (above the age of 10) should watch it.
  69. Dec 6, 2011
    To simply put it, The Godfather is an film that is honed to prefection. It is so good that I no longer have words to describe how amazing the film is. Pure greatness. The Godfather gets just about everything right in this compelling masterpiece that will be forever remembered and emulated, the godfather of modern films. I can see why this film is so big, so revolutionary, so influential.To simply put it, The Godfather is an film that is honed to prefection. It is so good that I no longer have words to describe how amazing the film is. Pure greatness. The Godfather gets just about everything right in this compelling masterpiece that will be forever remembered and emulated, the godfather of modern films. I can see why this film is so big, so revolutionary, so influential. No other film stands a chance against this monster of a film. The acting is top-notch and the plot, the plot is amazing with a crime-epic tale that will always be remembered, immortalized forever. Al Pacino and Marlon Brando give stellar performances in their greatest movie ever. The amount of emotion in The Godfather is amazing too as the you clearly feel each character's emotion and are drawn into it. The moments staying forever in your mind because it is so amazing. The Godfather reinvents the way I look at movies, my view of them has changed forever as I see how masterful this film is. It crushes every other film, no other film will ever come close to knocking The Godfather off its pedestal of greatness. Flaws, this sounds mundane but I cannot say it any other way, there are like ZERO flaws in the film. I scrutinized but could not find any at all. The good aspects deeply mask the film's bad aspects so a perfect movie has been created in a sense, that is amazing. I have not given a movie a perfect 10 out of 10, I have not seen a movie worthy of the all-time high but that changes with The Godfather and it is well deserved. Overall, The Godfather is a flat-out amazing film that will always be beast and smoke every other movie out there, this film will be a film that everyone will mention when asked "what do you think are the greatest movies of all time?". The Godfather is pure perfection of films honed to the highest aspects. This is not a great movie, this is a revolutionary film, I love it. Breakdown for "The Godfather": Presentation: 10, Plot: 10, Acting: 10, Script: 10, Lasting Appeal: 10, Verdict: 10 out of 10, "Masterpiece", the best movie I have ever seen. Expand
  70. Nov 28, 2011
    The Godfather is one of the greatest films of all time, no doubt. It is fueled by one of the greatest acting casts of all time, including Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, and Robert Duvall. If you don't like it because of it's violence, please be selfless and don't rate it. The Godfather is a story about the mafia and it's corruption on society.
  71. Nov 29, 2011
    This movie is easily one of the greatest ,if not the greatest, movies of all time. From start to finish, The Godfather is as perfect as perfect can get.
  72. Jan 26, 2012
    Listen up naysayers. Yeah. It does deserve a perfect score. Family. This film gives new definition to the word. The love that the Corleones have for each other in this film is so strong, yet it is also complicated. With a family business that is built upon a foundation of violence, the Corleones are destined for tragedy. Starring Marlon Brando as the Don, and Al Pacino as his son, Michael,Listen up naysayers. Yeah. It does deserve a perfect score. Family. This film gives new definition to the word. The love that the Corleones have for each other in this film is so strong, yet it is also complicated. With a family business that is built upon a foundation of violence, the Corleones are destined for tragedy. Starring Marlon Brando as the Don, and Al Pacino as his son, Michael, this film is the unquestionable magnum opus of Francis Ford Coppola. This is the premier mafia motion picture. Expand
  73. Feb 24, 2012
    Whenever I asked if this was a good film or not, I either heard it was extremely good or "I haven't seen it but yeah, it's good'. And when I finally found the time to sit through it, I couldn't believe what I had been missing. This is the greatest crime film I've have ever seen. Everything from the directing and acting to the soundtrack and, even thought its over two hours, the pacing.
  74. Nov 4, 2014
    This movie is fantastic, but it is old. I say that because I mean to say that it is of a style that's not so popular any more in Hollywood movies, where tone and feel take priority over raw action. So if you need action on a drip feed to avoid falling asleep then this movie isn't for your situation. It's a methodical story, over a long time period, and even is a little fuzzy on how muchThis movie is fantastic, but it is old. I say that because I mean to say that it is of a style that's not so popular any more in Hollywood movies, where tone and feel take priority over raw action. So if you need action on a drip feed to avoid falling asleep then this movie isn't for your situation. It's a methodical story, over a long time period, and even is a little fuzzy on how much time is passing at a few points. I don't think it takes away from the arc of the film. I do understand if a person isn't always ready to watch a slower film though, so my advice if you can't stand the opening section is to turn it off and try watching it another time. This is a quality film, but the modern audience has been trained away from this style quite a bit, so wait for the moment to strike you instead of forcing it. Expand
  75. Mar 10, 2012
    it gave me wood...................
  76. Mar 18, 2012
    The Godfather is the reason that we watch movies to this vey day. It really defined a film as not just entertainment but an art form. One that is to be respected and admired and everything about this film is incredible. Especially Brando's performance as Vito Corleone. Pure art.
  77. Mar 19, 2012
    no one is arguing this is a bad movie you would have to be an idiot to argue that but one can defiantly argue it is an overrated movie. A wonderful movie probably in the top 20 movies of all time but to be honest i liked part II better even thought it was longer it was more interesting. there are many scenes in this movie that it wcould have done without and the whole love interest inno one is arguing this is a bad movie you would have to be an idiot to argue that but one can defiantly argue it is an overrated movie. A wonderful movie probably in the top 20 movies of all time but to be honest i liked part II better even thought it was longer it was more interesting. there are many scenes in this movie that it wcould have done without and the whole love interest in Sicily was just unnecessary, uninteresting,and unrealistic. Expand
  78. Aug 4, 2012
    You know how when a friend is telling you a personal anecdote that he thinks is hilarious, but you don't find very funny, he'll say "you had to have been there." That's kind of how I feel about The Godfather. By the time I watched this movie I'd seen so many impersonations of Don Corleone and parodies that it all felt almost comical. Putting all that aside (if that's even possible), IYou know how when a friend is telling you a personal anecdote that he thinks is hilarious, but you don't find very funny, he'll say "you had to have been there." That's kind of how I feel about The Godfather. By the time I watched this movie I'd seen so many impersonations of Don Corleone and parodies that it all felt almost comical. Putting all that aside (if that's even possible), I still didn't enjoy this movie. I found myself checking how much more I had to sit through multiple times. And having seen what Al Pacino is capable of, he seems very wooden in this. My conclusion is that if you managed to see this movie before pop culture appropriated it and fed you their versions, then you'll likely love it. If like me you weren't around in the 70's, you might not get that much from it. In other words, you had to have been there. Expand
  79. Apr 22, 2013
    This movie surprise me on its level of greatness, i'm 17 years old and I never did watch any classics movies before but when I watch Godfather, I was like "what an epic movie this is", its surprisingly awesome movie for 1972 and even better than most movies release today in the 21st century. Godfather is like the God of gangsters movie.
  80. Jun 19, 2013
    This film is a masterpiece. Has great plot, fabulous actors and magnificent story. I liked it a lot. The film on the restaurant is really good. I liked it in general but i think it's over-rated too. Though it's a good film and a must-see
  81. Aug 30, 2013
    The Godfather is a very good movie. If there were not many dialogues in this film I would have rated it with 9. It's not for 10 I think. And, it's 3 hours. You can see that it's getting boring in some parts of the film. The best movie of the trilogy was the second.
  82. Jul 18, 2013
    This is the greatest movie ever made. Marlon Brando gives the performance of a lifetime, again. Each supporting actor gives a stellar performance. It is superbly paced, and the running time doesn't fell long at all. If you have not seen this movie, go now and watch it.
  83. Dec 12, 2013
    I would say The Godfather is very overrated. It has terribly tedious delivery, and is basically just three hours of guys in suits sitting at a table talking about business.
  84. KarlK.
    Apr 10, 2003
    Best movie ever!
  85. HugoM.
    Feb 8, 2009
    One of the best of the 1970's after Taxi Driver, Mean Streets, McCabe & Mrs. Miller.
  86. IsaiahG.
    Jul 22, 2009
    This is literally the perfect film, there is no other way someone logical can put it.
  87. Mike
    Feb 14, 2005
    Finally got to see this movie for the first time and I was really disappointed! I couldnt believe it. The movie does have some good moments. But its just isnt enough for the high critical accalim it recieved.
  88. May 3, 2011
    This is the definition of a masterpiece in cinema. If ill concieved by any one person then that person is actually ill to the point of "dead man walking". The best actor of all time (Marlo Brando), gives the best performance in movie history here as Don Corleone. Stick Marlon Brando, and Al Pacino to a project of such magnitude together and you have yourself a film! PERFECTION!!
  89. Feb 20, 2011
    The movie started off with Marlyn listening calmly to the person explaining him every excruciating detail of the tragedy his life had to suffer, the scene won the place in ma mind with that very cool and calm scene with no other movie starting off that way it had a special beginning, next came Al Pacino the way he explained how he would end both the commissioner and the drug lord to JamesThe movie started off with Marlyn listening calmly to the person explaining him every excruciating detail of the tragedy his life had to suffer, the scene won the place in ma mind with that very cool and calm scene with no other movie starting off that way it had a special beginning, next came Al Pacino the way he explained how he would end both the commissioner and the drug lord to James Caan was thrilling than ever! However the best part of the movie was wen Pacino shoots them and calmly walks out out the restaurant. The detailing of the part, the scene, the role was LEGENDARY!!!!! Marlyn played his role to his best and it was no less than STEAK SAUCE!!! None the less Diane Keaton was heartbreakingly awesome with her role in the movie no one else could have done that better. Over all the movie was awesome with a full rating of 9.0 znd a MUST WATCH tag. Im looking forward to be a movie critic hope you all would help me :)
    thank you.
  90. May 25, 2012
    I must say, this is one of the best films of all time. There is nothing wrong with it. The plot is fantastic, the characters are very flowing. Al Pacino's performance is outstanding, there's nothing I can say to him. One of the best masterpieces of Francis Ford Coppola.....
  91. Aug 7, 2013
    Films like The Godfather are the reason i have a lifelong passion and love for film. A combination of writing, acting, cinematography and a thoroughly engrossing plot have undoubtedly created one of the greatest pieces of cinema, point blank. A mixture of drama, thrill, crime and even comic value have been masterfully scripted into a film so full of suspense and charm that it undeniablyFilms like The Godfather are the reason i have a lifelong passion and love for film. A combination of writing, acting, cinematography and a thoroughly engrossing plot have undoubtedly created one of the greatest pieces of cinema, point blank. A mixture of drama, thrill, crime and even comic value have been masterfully scripted into a film so full of suspense and charm that it undeniably crosses the mind of ever film fanatic or casual movie lover out there.
    Each and every scene of the film is carefully filmed to create a whole different world for the viewer to get involved in, these scenes are intense, personal, but most importantly, completely focused on who is onscreen, each character has their moment, and they each make their mark on this legendary film. Perhaps the man who left the biggest mark was Marlon Brando, who plays the titular character, an underworld crime family boss who we are introduced to as an over the shoulder view, he scratches his face with the back of his fingers, he rolls his eyes, strokes his cat and talks in a muffled tone, all through the brilliance of Brando, who used cotton wool to perfect the speech, and rolled with a cat running on set, something not scripted, but perfect for the character Brando created, the everlasting memory of Vito Corleone, a man that when he opens his mouth, a respectable silence falls upon the film, acting at its best. We are at his daughters wedding as the film opens, from this there is a message set for the film, family, a man who doesn't spend time wit his family can never be a man" says Vito, one of the many quotes which made the film so memorable, but it also shows the true heart of the film, each of the sons this man has fathered look out for each other and all take part in the family 'business'.
    This business is told as a memorable reflection from Michael, played in perfectly calm but conflicted fashion by Al Pacino, who is the family member not quite sure what he wants, not part of the business, but suited for it. We are immediately thrust into the struggles of each crime family as they attempt to get stakes in a new market, something which Vito refuses to be a part of, put also something that almost costs him his life. With this, the eldest and hot-headed son steps forward, Sonny (James Caan) who ignores the wishes of the consigliere Tom (Robert Duvall) and seeks revenge on those who wronged his family.
    In the midst of all this there is a warming tone of a film, with some truly touching performances and some unforgettable turns as gangsters in 1940s New York. James Caan is well casted as the good-naturedbut short-tempered Sonny, who wants power, but also seems to want whats best for most of his family. But its Al Pacino and Marlon Brando who excel the film to remarkable achievements, Brando creates a character that simply couldn't be replicated or remade, and Pacino plays a conflicted but right-minded youngest brother, he gets what he wants and Pacino shows excellence in his eyes and confident speaking.
    A true journey of emotion, heartache, acceptance and love, the film explores all areas of what it means to be true to oneself, but also to forgive and forget, this is a truly remarkable feat and a masterful film that has given us some of the most memorable characters we have ever known, but also set a standard in the film industry as a force to be reckoned with, even as the years since its release tick on.
  92. May 16, 2015
    Very good film, resonating and thematically legendary. It is a little slow for my taste, but even though it's very long Godfather is dramatically near perfect.
  93. Jun 23, 2014
    I'd never seen the Godfather prior to this weekend. A friend of mine asked how I can consider myself a movie reviewer, when I haven't even seen the film that is widely considered to be the best of all-time. He had a point, so I decided to rent it and my verdict is it. While the Godfather is a tremendous epic drama, I really don't see how it is considered to be the best film ever made. It'sI'd never seen the Godfather prior to this weekend. A friend of mine asked how I can consider myself a movie reviewer, when I haven't even seen the film that is widely considered to be the best of all-time. He had a point, so I decided to rent it and my verdict is it. While the Godfather is a tremendous epic drama, I really don't see how it is considered to be the best film ever made. It's a great story, with a superstar cast, which set the genre for all the mafia films that followed, but that in and of itself means the film is going to have problems. As with other mafia films, it's difficult to keep track of who's who in the large cast. It also moves rather quickly and viewers like myself are going to have a very difficult time of trying to follow the erratic timeline of the film. Some parts move at a snails pace, while other just fly by, and what is with the music? The soundtrack is almost as acclaimed as the film, but honestly if I had to hear that song one more time, during this three hour epic, I may have gone out and killed someone myself. For those unfamiliar with the story, it follows the evolution of the Corleone family, as they transition from one leader to the next. The story is fantastic and is the furthest thing from predictable that you will ever find. It is filed with classic scenes and renowned performance from Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, but I really have a hard time calling such a complicated story with that much violence, the best of all-time. The Godfather is a terrific movie, and I'm glad that I finally got to see it, but in a word, the film is overrated. Expand
  94. Sep 30, 2014
    Absolutely brilliant! That is all I can say! This is in my top 10...this film is perfection! A classic! If you haven't watch it yet, you have to do it! I could expand and say more but I don't really want to...judge yourself!
  95. Feb 1, 2014
    Cold, calculative and distant; The Godfather's deliberate pacing, restrained acting and unemotional cinematography make it much more than a great gangster-crime drama - It's a fascinating study of the human psyche. Perhaps, the only dramatic aspect in this movie, at least in the conventional sense is Nino Rota's haunting score.
  96. Apr 20, 2013
    I'm one of those few people who watched The Godfather very late. Nevertheless, it had an impact on me like it did on many others. I loved and cherished every moment of this film. its beautifully written, directed and acted. It's one of those few All-Rounded Movies, thus it comes as no surprise that its beloved by many.
  97. Aug 27, 2014
    When it comes to The Godfather, there is no matching it. No mafioso gangster film will ever be able to surpass it. It's devastating action and complex family moments are intricately designed. A classic and an unparalleled ensemble.
  98. Aug 11, 2014
    That's a movie to always remember. It becomes alive every time you watch it. The story is a diamond necklace. And with the finest actors it becomes the finest movie of all time. I really feel ashamed not to give it a 10. It's the greatest in my opinion.
  99. Mar 25, 2013
    Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece based on the Mario Puzo novel, The Godfather is considered by many to be one of the greatest films of all time, and for good reasons. Every aspect of the film is virtually perfect. The story is epic and compelling, containing iconic scenes and excellent dialogue. The characters are as engaging as they are memorable, and are brilliantly played by anFrancis Ford Coppola's masterpiece based on the Mario Puzo novel, The Godfather is considered by many to be one of the greatest films of all time, and for good reasons. Every aspect of the film is virtually perfect. The story is epic and compelling, containing iconic scenes and excellent dialogue. The characters are as engaging as they are memorable, and are brilliantly played by an excellent cast, with Marlon Brando and Al Pacino being the definite standouts. "Beautiful" does not even begin to describe the famous musical score of the film. The Godfather is my #1 favorite film of all time and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so too. A benchmark in film history, this easily is one film you can't refuse. Expand

1. Just about as great as a movie's ever gonna be... As for the storytellng, The Godfather is an intricately constructed gem that simultaneously kicks ass.
    The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion... It was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual.
    The wedding sequence... is a virtuoso stretch of filmmaking: Coppola brings his large cast onstage so artfully that we are drawn at once into the Godfather's world.