The Godfather

9.1

1. MikeC.
    May 20, 2007
    The movie is perfect. Everyone who gave it a 0 are probably the same people that watch Fox News and think global warming is fake so there is no point in arguing. Either you know movies or you don't.
  2. DesmondL
    Aug 5, 2009
    Classical and unboring movies.
  3. JohnDawkins
    Mar 1, 2003
    Absolutely unmatched in its immersiveness. The opening wedding sequence is possibly the finest exposition of any film I've ever seen. This is a film that needs to be shown on the big screen every couple of years.
  4. EloiP.
    Mar 5, 2003
    An American Classic.
  5. MichaelI.
    Jul 10, 2003
    The best film I've ever seen, and maybe the best ever made!!
  6. KarlK.
    Jul 2, 2003
    Best movie ever!
  7. HeatherP
    Feb 17, 2005
    Simply Flawless. Everytime I see it, I'm blown away all over again.
  8. KyleF.
    Jan 2, 2006
    Great Movie
  9. RexG.
    May 13, 2006
    Thanks to Marlon Brando who made this movie the best of all times up to date. It keeps getting better the more often you watch it.
  10. BrettC
    Jul 6, 2006
    I can't believe i've I never had seen the entire movie before the other day it is amazing. I got the set of dvds and all of them are good, but the first is the best. It now is up ther with Revenge of the Sith, King Kong, Lord of the Rings, War of the Worlds, aving Private Ryan and many others it is amazing see all three.
  11. Riren
    Mar 4, 2007
    If this movie seems slow to you, you've probably been watching too much contemporary television. This is how movies ought to be paced - organically, and earning their progress. When The Godfather is slow, it's because it's trying to share something with us, either a nuance, or a bit of great acting that deserves a few more seconds of screen time. The cast is amazing. The If this movie seems slow to you, you've probably been watching too much contemporary television. This is how movies ought to be paced - organically, and earning their progress. When The Godfather is slow, it's because it's trying to share something with us, either a nuance, or a bit of great acting that deserves a few more seconds of screen time. The cast is amazing. The score is famous for a reason. Its scenes became cliche for a reason. It won't make you feel better about the world, but damn is this a great example of storytelling. Expand
  12. NestorT.
    Apr 30, 2008
    this movie is perfect just for the LOOSERS that do not not understand a msterpice go ahead and see some homo intented film like the lord of the rings
  13. EnzoP.
    Jul 6, 2009
    The Godfather is incredible Francis Ford Coppola has made a one of a kind movie. All actors score big on the screen.
  14. CaseyK.
    Jan 22, 2010
    I can not see what is wrong with this, but i can see what is brilliant about it!! fabulous acting with rich enduring story telling. how it tells you about the mafia with the Michael the son (Al Pacino) wanting a life for himself really gets you into heart with the idea of loosing family in the dangerous business of crime operations.
  15. lamyaaA.
    Feb 1, 2010
    You talk about the realness, here you find it, honesly i can't say more because this movie more than more.
  16. SamW
    Feb 16, 2010
    Greatest movie of all time. To those who believe the Metascore is off, should probably read how scores are calculated. They are WEIGHTED, as in Variety (the irrelevant little publication) doesn't count for much. Definitely deserves the 100.
  17. JosieP.
    Mar 1, 2003
    What an amazing story!
  18. Robert
    Mar 2, 2003
    Amazing. The acting is spectacular, the scenery is incredible, and the story... what a story! Three hours long yes, but its a fast, exciting three hours.
  19. Nick
    Jun 4, 2003
    One of the best movies ever. i'm not quite sure which was better; the film or the book?
  20. DonMulroneycakes
    Jul 13, 2003
    Better films have been made since? Well, there was Godfather II, but other than that, only "as good as". Variety, meanwhile, offer me with more evidence that they wouldn't know a good movie if it spent about fifteen minutes shooting them with tommy-guns at a tollbooth. But really, other than to reply to other people, what is there to say about the Godfather? Oh, right, nothing.
  21. GiovanniRiccardiF.
    Jul 14, 2003
    Such a beautiful film! as long as you are not squeamish, i strongly encourage all moviegoers to view this classic drama.
  22. MatthewA.
    Dec 1, 2004
    This movie enters your soul and devours everything outside of the television screen that you are watching. So engrossing is this movie that to stray away from it(as if you could) for even a moment should be a crime dealt with by the fictional mafioso portrayed in the film. Movies are meant to rip you away from the forced reality of your everyday life and The Godfather does this in one This movie enters your soul and devours everything outside of the television screen that you are watching. So engrossing is this movie that to stray away from it(as if you could) for even a moment should be a crime dealt with by the fictional mafioso portrayed in the film. Movies are meant to rip you away from the forced reality of your everyday life and The Godfather does this in one masterful stroke beginning with the opening wedding scene. Pure film nirvanna. Expand
  23. JackS.
    Oct 20, 2004
    Godfather is the don of all movies. great acting, great plot, true portrayal of mafia.
  24. MudassarB.
    Jan 31, 2004
    Along with its sequel, without a doubt the greatest and most epic film ever made. Brando, Pacino,Duvall and Caan show why they are screen legends and Coppolla shows why despite making no great films since Apocalypse Now we still remember him today as one of the greatest directors ever.
  25. ShawnA.
    Apr 6, 2004
    Brilliant.
  26. DanielF.
    Jun 28, 2004
    A power and grace that captures the viewer from the opening scene. It wonderfully captures a time and a place in the life of a "family." A can't miss whenever on.
  27. 5002LMfromgamespot
    Oct 29, 2005
    A masterpiece. a fantastic cast, with the possible exclusion of Kay Adams. a very memorable performance by Marlon Brando. as Brando once said "it is the audience really that is doing the acting."
  28. Ken-StianO.
    Apr 5, 2005
    A groundbreaking epic drama. Riveting performances, fantastic directing, masterful cinematography. The greatest classic there is.
  29. J.RyanG.
    May 23, 2005
    This is perhaps one of the finest examples of American storytelling on film, though its sequels paled in comparison. "Part II" is often hoisted into the same category with its predecessor, but it is a weak-willed antidote to the potent power and toughness of the 1972 original. "Part III" might even have surpassed the second film, which tells you something. Where did Coppola go wrong? The This is perhaps one of the finest examples of American storytelling on film, though its sequels paled in comparison. "Part II" is often hoisted into the same category with its predecessor, but it is a weak-willed antidote to the potent power and toughness of the 1972 original. "Part III" might even have surpassed the second film, which tells you something. Where did Coppola go wrong? The second film could never gain any momentum because of forced flashbacks, which one can only believe existed because of Robert De Niro's fierce performance. Speaking of performances, many critics have said that Pacino was on par with Brando in the first film. But I'm finally convinced that Brando deserved the Oscar that year. Pacino was, to me, a pretty close second. The most brilliant scene of acting that ever comes to my mind is from this film: A scene in the second half of the film, when Brando is feeding his fish in his private study. Many of the complex plotlines of the entire saga run right through the busy intersection of Brando's facial expressions and tone of voice. This is not a perfect movie, but it is perfect at what it does best: Establishing characters that one hopes, prays, and would kill to have really existed. Expand
    Jun 7, 2005
    This is the best movie that ever was made, Robert de Niro and Al Pacino play them roles like no one else.
  31. GlennM.
    Sep 1, 2005
    Yeah deff the second best movie ever made.
  32. Tom
    Dec 29, 2006
    This film is a work of art.
  33. C.J.O.
    May 8, 2006
    The Godfather is the best moive of all time! Respect, Power and Money.
  34. DerekE.
    Jun 4, 2006
    This is cliche, but it really is "the perfect movie."
  35. DavidK.
    Aug 15, 2006
    This is easily the best movie of all time, then would be part two, but I can't stand watching part 3, it, just like far too many other movies, ruined the trilogy.
  36. KellyB.
    Aug 10, 2006
    The people who gave this movie a "0" are either trying to be subversive, or are completely moronic. My guess is that they are trying to be the former. Whether you like The Godfather, or thought that it was overrated, it certainly doesn't warrant a "0". There are far worse movies out there than this wonderfully acted epic. As for the voter who said that Scarface was a better The people who gave this movie a "0" are either trying to be subversive, or are completely moronic. My guess is that they are trying to be the former. Whether you like The Godfather, or thought that it was overrated, it certainly doesn't warrant a "0". There are far worse movies out there than this wonderfully acted epic. As for the voter who said that Scarface was a better movie...now that's moronic. While The Godfather is a true classic, Scarface is a poor man's Godfather. It is, at best, an overblown, long-winded film, chock-full of a mugging Al Pacino (has Brian DePalma EVER made a subtle movie?). Even then, I still give it a "5". But Godfather gets a "10". Expand
  37. JohnW.
    Oct 1, 2007
    If you gave this a 0 you are the ones that love movies like Baby Geniuses 1 and 2. This movie was great and you have bad taste.
  38. MichaelR
    Dec 30, 2007
    Its a slow and very long movie but patience is a virtue.This is not a movie for the impatient people.This is an instant classic movie that has a great moral story and all Italians will love this movie.Marlon Brando was perfect for the role of the Don.The acting,dialog and action was brilliant.Its the second best movie ever made after Scarface.
  39. Luis
    Jan 20, 2007
    The first time I saw this movie, when it first came out 33 years ago, I left the theater after one hour or so, I was bored and confused, perhaps I was too young for this film. Today I consider the Godfather to be the best movie ever, I'm a fan of the film and I know every character and detail. Of course I seen it a hundreds times, in fact it
  40. JoshuaM.
    Jan 9, 2007
    Two reasons I don't give it 10: the book is so good (especially leading up to Michael's leaving for Sicily), that it is unfair to give sole credit to the film. Having watched the film after a few years, I now find the pacing a bit slow (yes, perhaps due to the kinetic pace of many films today).
  41. MaxR.
    Mar 3, 2007
    Perfect.
  42. HaroldB.
    May 3, 2007
    Coppola's playfulness is given full reign in several imaginatively retro montage sequences. Newspaper headlines pass over shots of hands passing the spaghetti bowl at one of those impromptu feasts that nourished the underworld. Equally potent is the quick cutting between images of Michael, at the baptism of a godchild, promising a priest that he will renounce Satan at the same time Coppola's playfulness is given full reign in several imaginatively retro montage sequences. Newspaper headlines pass over shots of hands passing the spaghetti bowl at one of those impromptu feasts that nourished the underworld. Equally potent is the quick cutting between images of Michael, at the baptism of a godchild, promising a priest that he will renounce Satan at the same time that his enemies are being gorily gunned down all over town. Coppola knew how to create monsters - Michael and his father - and make us gleefully root for their triumph. Michael, especially monstrous because with his education and early vow to stay clear of the family business, his slow evolution into cold-blooded killer seems more unforgivable. The collaboration between director and actor here is magical. We actually see Michael's face go deader as the movie progresses, and his eyes seem to narrow as if Michael can no longer bear what he sees around him and himself. If you've only viewed "The Godfather" on television, you owe it to yourself to go out and see it on the big screen. Collapse
  43. DouglasM.
    Jul 20, 2007
    It is one of the greatest movies ever.All aspects of this movie are brilliant. Almost every scene is a masterpiece. Al Pacino's acting in Godfather Part 1 and 2 has to be among the best in the history of movies. In particular, he is so real and believable in the scene at the restaurant in the Bronx.
  44. KrisP.
    Jul 20, 2007
    This film is one of my all time favorites, and this film has Marlon Brando in, in my opinion, one of his best roles. A must see for any one who can watch it.
  45. ArtI
    Aug 1, 2007
    I will give it a nine because nothings perfect! But it is a great movie, people who put 0's and 1's are retarded... sure there are better movies out there, but who's comparing? someone even brought up Scarface as being the better movie... please... that was garbage compared to this. Overall the story and characters were perfect, yeah it's long and has a lot of story to I will give it a nine because nothings perfect! But it is a great movie, people who put 0's and 1's are retarded... sure there are better movies out there, but who's comparing? someone even brought up Scarface as being the better movie... please... that was garbage compared to this. Overall the story and characters were perfect, yeah it's long and has a lot of story to it... but thats what I loved about it. I don't agree w/ the 100 rating on metacritic, because its almost impossible to get a perfect score on here. But it is a great movie! better than the stuff the industry is pushing now. Expand
  46. SukuS.
    Sep 25, 2007
    The Best Film ever without a doubt. If you haven't watched it you cannot function in popular culture.
  47. EddieM.
    Sep 26, 2007
    Greatest American epic ever! Quite simply American cinema's finest moment.
  48. Benjyx
    Feb 2, 2008
    It has to be said that not everyone will agree on a film and critics do tend to overrate films like this. I have to say though this film is something else.... Im only 17, not part of the baby boomer generation and this film was just something else. It's not perfect but it's definately one orf the greatest films ever made, and the tension and shocks in some of the scenes are It has to be said that not everyone will agree on a film and critics do tend to overrate films like this. I have to say though this film is something else.... Im only 17, not part of the baby boomer generation and this film was just something else. It's not perfect but it's definately one orf the greatest films ever made, and the tension and shocks in some of the scenes are incredible. Last point; anyone who considers the characters unlikeable, did you skip scenes? Al Pacino's slow descent into a life that he doesn't wants, Marlon Brando's performance as a mob leader who uses logic and politics rather than murder, plus his last scene with his grandson... wow. Expand
  49. BillM.
    Feb 3, 2008
    I finally got to see this movie yesterday and it was great. Even after all the cliches it caused.
  50. JohnnyC.
    Feb 3, 2008
    THE most overrated movie ever! Ya it has a nice story,and a nice set of actors. But it's way to long. Some of you are saying that if others dont agree this is the greatest movie ever there a moron? Lol. This movie is not all that. Scarface is better. More action,a good story,long,but not to long. The only reason people are saying this is the greatest ever,is because there trying to THE most overrated movie ever! Ya it has a nice story,and a nice set of actors. But it's way to long. Some of you are saying that if others dont agree this is the greatest movie ever there a moron? Lol. This movie is not all that. Scarface is better. More action,a good story,long,but not to long. The only reason people are saying this is the greatest ever,is because there trying to follow the crowd. Expand
  51. RD.
    Apr 7, 2008
    Superb movie. Not bored for even a second. Marlon Brando, Al Pacino and James Caan as also Robert Duvall all were superb. immortal classic.
  52. StephenC.
    May 8, 2008
    While perhaps not the greatest movie of all time, despite it's rank as such among many, it is in the top 5. Marlon Brando plays the almost sympathetic character very well. My biggest qualm is I just felt the turn of Al Pacino was a little quick to happen. It seems to me he went from nice kid to sociopath, way more unhinged than his dad, almost overnight. Still an incredible movie and While perhaps not the greatest movie of all time, despite it's rank as such among many, it is in the top 5. Marlon Brando plays the almost sympathetic character very well. My biggest qualm is I just felt the turn of Al Pacino was a little quick to happen. It seems to me he went from nice kid to sociopath, way more unhinged than his dad, almost overnight. Still an incredible movie and cinematic experience. Expand
  53. ShawnA.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Brilliant.
  54. T.G.
    Aug 6, 2008
    Simply put, awesome movie.
  55. LiamG.
    Aug 8, 2008
    The greatest and most influential mob movie ever. Even after 36 years, nothing, bar its sequel and Scorsese's 'Goodfellas', have come close to matching its absolute perfection.
  56. StabsM.
    Sep 4, 2008
    What's there to say? A perfect movie that I was accustomed to watching on VHS or cable, both of which had the color washed out. The DVD release has the color beautifully restored; the color, alone, allows you to rediscover The Godfather again. The special features are fantastic. Coppola walks you through the movie, slowly and expertly. The deleted scenes are wonderfully shot. What's there to say? A perfect movie that I was accustomed to watching on VHS or cable, both of which had the color washed out. The DVD release has the color beautifully restored; the color, alone, allows you to rediscover The Godfather again. The special features are fantastic. Coppola walks you through the movie, slowly and expertly. The deleted scenes are wonderfully shot. What's not to love? Expand
  57. Mack
    Jan 6, 2009
    This has to be among the greatest movies ever made. I don't think any of the sequels even come close although I hear many prefer part II. Every scene is memorable.
  58. VladislavK
    Aug 13, 2009
    Really one of the greatest films of all time I don't need to add more
  59. CarlC
    Aug 14, 2009
    I think the grammar inaccuracies, lack of spelling prowess, and vapid intellectual acumen of those who gave this film a bad rating prove just how good it is, simply the best film ever made. I admit "Return of the King" is a close second, but.
  60. JS
    Aug 31, 2009
    The greatest movie ever made. The only blockbuster ever produced for thinking adults. All the performances are outstanding and the direction is peerless. Manages to turn a good summer novel into a dark, brooding masterpiece.
  61. ZackM.
    Jan 3, 2010
    While it is long i would consider it a classic. while it is brutal and violent and almost sadistic it has a well written story and amazing acting amplify a timeless crime drama
  62. PatC.
    Dec 1, 2003
    This movie sets up Part II, where Pacino's character presents us with the premise that, no matter what circumstances one grows up in, all of us come to a crossroads where we may freely choose the tenets of our lives. Yes, I believe the combination of the two movies to tell the whole story is the inevitable designated metascore-100 movie. Part 1 is a prequel, it can't be a 10 This movie sets up Part II, where Pacino's character presents us with the premise that, no matter what circumstances one grows up in, all of us come to a crossroads where we may freely choose the tenets of our lives. Yes, I believe the combination of the two movies to tell the whole story is the inevitable designated metascore-100 movie. Part 1 is a prequel, it can't be a 10 because it's not complete. Casablanca & Citizen Kane didn't need a Part II. That's what completeness is. Let's just have that understood. Expand
  63. SantinoS.
    Mar 22, 2003
    the third greatest american film after "citizen kane" and "the godfather 2". A masterpiece that endures the impact of time and stays evergreen. the greatest cast of all time, brando, pacino, caan, duvall, shire, vigoda,etc.
  64. KarlK.
    Apr 10, 2003
    Best movie ever!
  65. MattP.
    Apr 13, 2003
    Without a doubt the best gangster movie ever, probably the best film ever. It's a shame about part 3...
  66. MZ
    Apr 8, 2003
    Part I and Part II are the best films ever. Great story, great acting, wonderful sets, cinematography....and the score..how could you ignore the mandolin strumming in the background? These 2 along with Citizen Kane will be very, very hard to beat........Classic, pure classic!
  67. ConstanceM.
    Jul 7, 2003
    The only film that can surpass it is Godfather II. The ultimate movie!!! To Matt P. and all those bothered by his comment: "there never was a Godfather III" (jedi hand jesture)" it was all a horrible, horrible nightmare that sleeps with the fishiz" Hope this helps and is cheaper than the therapy that everyone should recieve who watched the afore mentioned nightmare.
  68. YoonMinC.
    Sep 28, 2003
    Gangster films before Godfather made organized crime exciting and glamorous but Godfather made it respectable. Ironically, by condemning society-at-large(politics and big business)by drawing analogies with organized crime, Coppola only elevated the mafia to legitimacy; the book, by the way, is even more nakedly--but also more honestly--enamoured with mafia power; while the movie tells the Gangster films before Godfather made organized crime exciting and glamorous but Godfather made it respectable. Ironically, by condemning society-at-large(politics and big business)by drawing analogies with organized crime, Coppola only elevated the mafia to legitimacy; the book, by the way, is even more nakedly--but also more honestly--enamoured with mafia power; while the movie tells the story of a young Michael who's seduced into evil, the audience falls under the same spell; everyone leaves the theater thinking that Vito Corleone was a great man, that the murder of Sonny was a major tragedy, and that though Michael loses his soul, he's one well-dressed badass. One can defend this movie by saying that the Corleones are a breed apart from a breed apart. That while most mafia guys entered crime simply out of greed, Vito was originally a good guy who became a criminal for altruistic reasons(Robin Hoodlum?). Well, whatever, but I've also completely fallen under the spell. It's completely bogus as a statement about crime and politics but it's hard to think of another movie as finely mounted as period piece, conducted as blood opera, calibrated as compelling drama. The script, the acting, the direction are all supreme. Expand
  69. MikeR
    Dec 24, 2004
    Exellent movie.
  70. MichaelM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    When people hear the word "Godfather" they think, "Best movie ever made!!!". Well that is (in my opinion) a bunch of bullcrap!!! Don't get me wrong, The Godfather is an excellent piece of work, but I wouldn't go so far to say it is the best movie ever made. Personally, I like GoodFellas a little better. The Godfather has the best of all the qualities for a movie = great When people hear the word "Godfather" they think, "Best movie ever made!!!". Well that is (in my opinion) a bunch of bullcrap!!! Don't get me wrong, The Godfather is an excellent piece of work, but I wouldn't go so far to say it is the best movie ever made. Personally, I like GoodFellas a little better. The Godfather has the best of all the qualities for a movie = great directing, great writing (not as good as the book), excellent acting (Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert DuVall), and all that jazz, but I still don't think it is the best movie ever made. One of the top 10 movies ever made (most likely), One of the top 5 movies ever made (maybe), the best movie ever made (I don't think so). If you like Mafia movies, this is the one that started them. If you are looking for the best Mafia movie or televison show, watch "The Sopranos" Sunday nights at 9:00 p.m. or 10:00 p.m. If you haven't seen "The Godfather" yet, I would rent it immediatley! (1/31/03) Expand
  71. NicolásT.
    Oct 26, 2004
    Espectacular.
  72. GaborA.
    Feb 17, 2004
    The movie's only flaw (besides Keaton) is a lack of variety. Every scene feels like the last, but nonetheless every scene is perfect.
  73. ToddB.
    Apr 6, 2004
    Half (also part two, we'll forget part three) of the two greatest movies of all time, anybody who doesn't like this is allowed to have their own opinions, but anybody who says that it sucks doesn't know anything about great movies.
  74. PaulF.
    May 18, 2004
    Sean M. you are a moron. If you haven't seen a movie don't rate it. If you watch in and give it a 0 so be it. This and Godfather 2 are amazing movies that are copied 30+ years later.
  75. MilesT.
    Jun 5, 2004
    A top 10 movie of all time for sure. Brilliant ending.
  76. ChristosD.
    Jun 8, 2004
    Almost the only movie with such a great casting and is actually really good!!! A really great movie! There is no way you can describe it! For me the best movie ever made! By far!!!
  77. MarkS.
    Jul 29, 2004
    Excellent movie.
  78. ParkerO.
    Oct 11, 2005
    I have always loved all the Godfather movies.
  79. JamesM
    Nov 19, 2005
    Certainly overrated but a fine film nonetheless.
  80. SamD.
    Oct 16, 2005
    It is an excellent movie, but there are point in it where the acting could have used an extra oomph, like the scene where al pacino and his would be wife are walking down the sidewalk in the park, iwasn't impressed with the lack of intensity nor the lack of emotion from the actress. also, if you do the math, the score for this movie should be a 99 since 1380(the total) divided by 14 It is an excellent movie, but there are point in it where the acting could have used an extra oomph, like the scene where al pacino and his would be wife are walking down the sidewalk in the park, iwasn't impressed with the lack of intensity nor the lack of emotion from the actress. also, if you do the math, the score for this movie should be a 99 since 1380(the total) divided by 14 (the amount of reviews) is 98.57 a.k.a. a 99. I'd like a recount here! Expand
  81. DylanB.
    Feb 1, 2005
    This is the best movie of all time period.
  82. IndyS.
    Feb 20, 2005
    Spectacular movie. For those that are disappointed with the Godfather don't seem to understand everything behind it. A word of advice... stop being narrow minded and be open to what was once real.
  83. RickC.
    Mar 11, 2005
    Obviously the people who give this movie bad reviews don't know jack about filmmaking or artictic expression. If you think its so bad, than why is it on the AFI's top 100 movies (I believe its actually in the top five). Obviously you people are convoluted, so try to learn a little from the pros and stop being so ignorant.
  84. PipH.
    Mar 10, 2005
    The book is better then the film. However this is one of best if not the best film ever made. Quite simply if you do not understand or like this film you are obviously a sponge.
  85. Cam
    Apr 27, 2005
    One of the best movies ever.
  86. IllyaZ.
    May 30, 2005
    One of the best films of all time; no question!
  87. FrancoS
    Oct 12, 2006
    BEST MOVIE EVER!! It had its flaws (too much diaglouge) I can see this movie over and over again. Plus I'm part Sicillian! Marlon Brando stole the first one though, excellent performance and Al Pacino wasn't bad himself. If you havent seen it, buy it. A must-have for your movie collection!
  88. EricR.
    Mar 17, 2006
    I ruge anyone who doesn't like this or found it lacluster to watch it again. I didn't much care for it the first time, that's because I didn't understand the plot or characters, so I could't be emotionally involved, regardless of how great the directing, acting and cinemetography was. The more you watch it, the more you uncover, and the more you can appreciate it.
  89. Mr.Hankey
    Mar 22, 2006
    A masterpiece that is in my opinion the best movie ever made. It is a violent movie but shows the bruatlity of the mob and how violent and vicious some of them were. It is a beautiful and tragic movie that shows how a son who originally would have hated to be in the family buisness came to the family buisness. We should be all thanking Mario Puzo for the amazing story that generated A masterpiece that is in my opinion the best movie ever made. It is a violent movie but shows the bruatlity of the mob and how violent and vicious some of them were. It is a beautiful and tragic movie that shows how a son who originally would have hated to be in the family buisness came to the family buisness. We should be all thanking Mario Puzo for the amazing story that generated thousands screaming when the horse was in the the bed and Francis Ford Coppola who in great detail showed the personalities of the characters in such great shape. Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan and Robert Duvall have great strength as actors and each has a different trait that is either hard or soft. The Movie will remain one of the best ever made forever and if you can top this then you have to be pretty damn good. Expand
  90. DanR.
    Mar 9, 2006
    There's no question this film will be considered a classic a century from now. One can only hope that an actor is born that will surpass Marlon Brando as the Godfather, or that a film that equally captures the American spirit will be made over the next 100 years.
  91. RyneM.
    Jul 10, 2006
    The most perfect American film ever made.
  92. Trevor
    Aug 3, 2006
    All three films taken as a whole proves to be the greatest achievement in cinema history.
  93. JohnS.
    Sep 14, 2006
  94. KellyA.
    Sep 19, 2006
    Is there really anything better?
  95. JamesE
    Oct 15, 2007
    This is the best movie i have ever seen in my life. People knew that back in the 70's and still today it is unmatched in quality and realism. The length of the movie was perfectly acceptable otherwise we would never get the whole story. Anyone (and i mean anyone) who gives this movie lower than 5 should be watching bio-dome and should be banned from any movie rating sites.
  96. HeathQ.
    Jan 24, 2007
    This is a perfect score movie for a reason, it is the best movie that has ever been concieved. The score of 80 is not counted as it is an uncerdited and therefore and not from any professional critic, it should be put amongst the user reviews. As for people giving this film a 0/10 I am quite sure that you are pathetic little people that live their lives on the net and hang shit on any This is a perfect score movie for a reason, it is the best movie that has ever been concieved. The score of 80 is not counted as it is an uncerdited and therefore and not from any professional critic, it should be put amongst the user reviews. As for people giving this film a 0/10 I am quite sure that you are pathetic little people that live their lives on the net and hang shit on any movie with any substance or critical acclaim. The impact of this movie, considering it was made in 1972 still has great affect. My sister watched this movie for the first time just a couple of weeks ago and for someone who thinks Legally Blonde is a good movie to say this is one of the best films she has ever seen just proves it is excellent. Coppolla is a legendary filmmaker, many should take a leaf from his book. Expand
  97. WillP.
    Mar 23, 2007
    My absolute FAVORITE movie ever. Anyone with even a little bit of patience and an IQ over room temperature will recognize that this is an absolutely incredible movie. I honestly cannot think of any flaws, even minor ones.
  98. MarkS.
    May 21, 2007
    Excellent movie.
  99. LonChaney
    May 3, 2007
    This movie is the best ever, and it shows its cinematic screenplay brilliance as well as its incredible, dynamic script, a great, amazingly-told storytelling, and a remarkable cast. Marlon Brando and Al Pacino star in this four-star crime drama.
  100. JohnDawkins
    May 3, 2007

1. Just about as great as a movie's ever gonna be... As for the storytellng, The Godfather is an intricately constructed gem that simultaneously kicks ass.
    The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion... It was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual.
    The wedding sequence... is a virtuoso stretch of filmmaking: Coppola brings his large cast onstage so artfully that we are drawn at once into the Godfather's world.