9.0

1. Jan 23, 2015
    One of the greatest crime films ever made. This is what I call golden cinema. The Godfather is dripping with powerful ideas, it's a very poetic depiction of the mafia and the camera movements are simply stunning. The entire cast deliver stunning performances. And most notably, it's a very very unconventionally structured film. This is a masterpiece.
  2. Jan 6, 2015
    (I apologize for not reviewing this trilogy sooner, but I wanted to wait until I have seen all of them)

"Leave the gun; take the cannolis." The first of The Godfather trilogy is one of the best mafia movies of all time. In fact, it is so accurate in its portrayal of mob families that actual mafia people confirmed it. The acting, especially between Marlon Brando and Al Pacino is electrifying. Almost everything in the movie is believable, and the screenplay is close to flawless. The Godfather definitely deserves all the praise it gets, and is in no way overrated.
  3. Jan 1, 2015
    The Godfather is a 1972 American crime film directed by Francis Ford Coppola and produced by Albert S. Ruddy from a screenplay by Mario Puzo and Coppola. Starring Marlon Brando and Al Pacino as the leaders of a fictional New York crime family, the story spans the years 1945-55, concentrating on the transformation of Michael Corleone from reluctant family outsider to ruthless Mafia bossThe Godfather is a 1972 American crime film directed by Francis Ford Coppola and produced by Albert S. Ruddy from a screenplay by Mario Puzo and Coppola. Starring Marlon Brando and Al Pacino as the leaders of a fictional New York crime family, the story spans the years 1945-55, concentrating on the transformation of Michael Corleone from reluctant family outsider to ruthless Mafia boss while chronicling the Corleones under the patriarch Vito. Expand
  4. Dec 22, 2014
    ریدم به اون فیلمساز بی خانواده ای که اندازه ی گه هم بلد نیست فیلم بسازه . گه گه گه گه گه گه گه گه گه گه. حیف وقتی که واسه کونده ای مثل فورد کاپولا و اون فیلم کسل کننده ی بی همه چیزش رو گذاشتم . ریدی کاپول
  5. Dec 19, 2014
    It's on kind of those movies that you must watch before and you die, and you're prohibited to hate it.
    A forever-classic, "The Godfather" has all the elements of a ground-breaking movie. Astonishing cinematography (excellent choice on choosing Gordon Willis by the way), carefully directing, superb acting by the entire cast and a marvelous screenplay.
    Find this movie as soon as you can,
    Find this movie as soon as you can, and watch it, and again, and again, and again and again. This one is worth of your time.
  6. Dec 3, 2014
    it might be a long movie but you dont want it to end. The best gangster film of all time no doubt marlon brando improvisation made this move,and the movie is joined with 2 other amazing films which makes it the best triolgy. Al pacino as per usual at his best its a young al pacino that you see another rang of his brilliant acting skills
  7. Nov 21, 2014
    I assume the negative reviews of this movie are people having a laugh. Its one of the greatest movies ever made, FACT.

After reading some of the reviews I just had to write my own, one particular 'review' by, lets call him Brian McInnis, is the most moronic piece of rubbish I have ever read, what an idiot. Anyway its definitely the best gangster film ever made, its actually almost

Anyway its definitely the best gangster film ever made, its actually almost perfect, miles better than anything from Scorsese. Unbelievable cast featuring undoubtedly the greatest actor of all time, Marlon Brando in an unforgetable performance. There has never been another movie like it and there never will.
  8. Nov 13, 2014
    A very powerful and well done movie! So unpredictable, so suspenseful, so full of offers you cannot refuse. A masterpiece that changed cinema as we know it! There is no way anybody could ever consider this movie boring unless they expect explosions every 10 minutes.
  9. Nov 4, 2014
    This movie is fantastic, but it is old. I say that because I mean to say that it is of a style that's not so popular any more in Hollywood movies, where tone and feel take priority over raw action. So if you need action on a drip feed to avoid falling asleep then this movie isn't for your situation. It's a methodical story, over a long time period, and even is a little fuzzy on how muchThis movie is fantastic, but it is old. I say that because I mean to say that it is of a style that's not so popular any more in Hollywood movies, where tone and feel take priority over raw action. So if you need action on a drip feed to avoid falling asleep then this movie isn't for your situation. It's a methodical story, over a long time period, and even is a little fuzzy on how much time is passing at a few points. I don't think it takes away from the arc of the film. I do understand if a person isn't always ready to watch a slower film though, so my advice if you can't stand the opening section is to turn it off and try watching it another time. This is a quality film, but the modern audience has been trained away from this style quite a bit, so wait for the moment to strike you instead of forcing it. Expand
  10. Nov 2, 2014
    What can be said? 'The Godfather' is one of the masterpieces of cinema, where every element is perfected and congeals to create something that is a work of art - the score, aesthetics, characterisation, directing, script and acting. It catapulted Francis Ford Coppola to the forefront of the New Hollywood wave, was the breakthrough for such stars as Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall,What can be said? 'The Godfather' is one of the masterpieces of cinema, where every element is perfected and congeals to create something that is a work of art - the score, aesthetics, characterisation, directing, script and acting. It catapulted Francis Ford Coppola to the forefront of the New Hollywood wave, was the breakthrough for such stars as Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Talia Shire, Diane Keaton etc. and cemented Marlon Brando's status in the pantheon of cinematic legends, though his work as Vito Corleone here is more supporting than leading. There is dissent over whether this is rightly considered to be one of the greatest movies of all time. For me, it is not the greatest movie but is among them and the length is certainly felt - when first watched, 'The Godfather' is a draining experience. But it ages well with repeat viewings. It meets the definition of classic and then some. It is memorable and masterful. If Part II overshadows it, it is only because Part I was so damn great nobody thought it could be topped. Expand
  11. Oct 21, 2014
    The movie just like the water flow in the head. Fresh, cool, and in the same time it blow, but it doesn't make me "dead-man" with the blind-eyes. This is the moment when the masterpiece talked, even the movie sometimes make me a little bit blowing -that's mean confused- but the movie has never wrong. In turn, it take some capable of beauty, and I say "the movie was rising, a thousand thumbs up"
  12. Sep 30, 2014
    Absolutely brilliant! That is all I can say! This is in my top 10...this film is perfection! A classic! If you haven't watch it yet, you have to do it! I could expand and say more but I don't really want to...judge yourself!
  13. Sep 23, 2014
    The best,most quotable,well done,gory, Romantic,amazing you will ever see. I'm just going to wait here until you go and see it.
    Even if you don't bother with the other two Godfathers,this one is worth seeing
    Some day I may call upon you. That day may never come,but for now,consider this a gift,on my daughters wedding day.
    That day has comme, and I nose call upon you to watch this movie
  14. Sep 21, 2014
    The thing I love about The Godfather is the accurate portrayal of the mafia. There aren't gratuitous scenes or extreme Hollywood drama. It is a timeless classic, and honestly I have seen it 50+ times and never get sick of it. Marlon Brando's performance as Vito Corleone is impeccable and some of the best acting I have ever seen.
  15. Aug 27, 2014
    When it comes to The Godfather, there is no matching it. No mafioso gangster film will ever be able to surpass it. It's devastating action and complex family moments are intricately designed. A classic and an unparalleled ensemble.
  16. Aug 24, 2014
    The first Godfather was the movie that set and saved the Directors carrier. The cinematography makes amazing use of the cameras at the time. The development of the characters are slow yet very well done. the only thing I have to say is that some of the scenes in Sicily were not needed for the story.
  17. Aug 19, 2014
    El Padrino ya es un clásico del cine. Sin duda una gran película y la mejor de las tres por varias razones:
    Marlon Brando (que se marca un papelón), Al Pacino, que en mi opinión está mejor que en las dos siguientes por su papel de iniciado en el mundo mafioso, y la trama, creo que tiene un punto interesante que a la 2 le faltó y no digamos ya a la 3. Se puede hacer algo pesada por su duración, pero tiene grandes escenas y diálogos poderosos.
  18. Aug 13, 2014
    Often considered one of the best movies ever made, this movie wouldn't be too long if it was 24 hours long. It shows you it's world, you enter it, and sadly after "just" three hours it ends. Perfectly directed, brilliant screenplay, flawless performances, timeless.
  19. Aug 11, 2014
    That's a movie to always remember. It becomes alive every time you watch it. The story is a diamond necklace. And with the finest actors it becomes the finest movie of all time. I really feel ashamed not to give it a 10. It's the greatest in my opinion.
  20. Aug 9, 2014
    My favourite film of all time, and the true ''Godfather'' of the gangster film genre. This film has it all; memorable characters and scenes, terrific acting all round (James Caan as Sonny Corleone and Al Pacino as Michael are amongst the best acting performances I've seen) and a wonderful and gripping storyline. And it's all beautifully filmed; the dark and smoky interiors of theMy favourite film of all time, and the true ''Godfather'' of the gangster film genre. This film has it all; memorable characters and scenes, terrific acting all round (James Caan as Sonny Corleone and Al Pacino as Michael are amongst the best acting performances I've seen) and a wonderful and gripping storyline. And it's all beautifully filmed; the dark and smoky interiors of the Corleone's retreat (complete with Godfather sitting in the corner in his armchair, face shadowed), the family wedding, Michael's exile in Sicilly and of course the tense scenes at the hospital, and the famous restaurant scene, where Michael turns killer for the first time.
    Totally memorable, and no other film I've seen is quite as perfect, polished or stylish as the Godfather.
  21. Jul 24, 2014
    Review Date: July 24, 2014. Movie Review #1: The Godfather

Review Date: July 24, 2014. Movie Review #1: The Godfather

If I ever get a job offer to write Movie Reviews and get paid for it, it is an offer I can't refuse. This movie is often quotable to those that have seen it and it is no surprise that this film affected pop culture to a certain degree. There was a time where it got a lot of dough and was a hit which in turn became the highest grossing motion picture at a time back in the 1970's when The Godfather succeeded in the box office. Times have changed and this film is no longer the highest grossing motion picture but still to this day, it still remains as a remarkable film. Is there anything that has not been said about The Godfather? Probably not, but that is not going to stop me from sharing my thoughts regarding Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece.

The Godfather is a tale of a New York Mafia family and their struggle to protect their empire from rival families as the leadership switches from the father to his youngest son which carries a heavy weight.

This film often gets praised for its acting and that's no surprise there. Even though The Godfather ended up as a trilogy, Most of the cast may have left a huge impression in the second Godfather film but the first movie still has terrific acting throughout the entire film. Marlon Brando's performance as Don Corelone is very likely and arguably his best role in his film career. Even though the late Marlon Brando was a well-respected actor before and since The Godfather, He was not the only reason that The Godfather is a great film. The casting is a rather interesting one since it contains actors that either have been around for a number of years or actors that are quite new but had a couple roles. James Caan plays a hot-tempered Sonny, Robert Duvall has a great voice of reason in playing Tom Hagen, Diane Keaton plays her supporting role quite fittingly as Kay Adams, and Al Pacino's performance really makes Michael Corleone an intriguing character in the film and that carries on in the later films. The entire performance of every cast member feels natural even if there were a number of takes shot in the movie. Some may say that this movie has some of the greatest acting in the history of cinema, but I think that would be a bit of a stretch to make that claim. The entire cast makes all the characters believable and realistic in their portrayal. The Godfather might not be the most realistic portrayal of the Mafia, but it is certainly the most romanticized Mafia movie. However there are some realistic moments which is the brutality that The Godfather portrays, and Khartoum was the first example of this film's brutality. I also don't think that the brutality is a way of glorifying violence in the film, it is first and foremost a cinematic portrait of the Mafia, and it also serves as a thought provoking character study which carries on in the later films. It may be a romanticized portrait of the Mafia, and it may be a bit realistic in its brutal moments, but it doesn't feel out of place. Considering the film is set in the 1940's with the notion that it is a romaticized portrayal of the Mafia, there's a theme of moral ambiguity that allows the viewer to think and question about the character inside the movie, I find it strange that outside of the movie, it is possible that a viewer (and myself if I may add) finds the moral ambiguity fascinating in The Godfather. It carries on in the story that is told in the film.

One of the fitting touches is the music by Nino Rota and it's a bit predictable that it has that Italian sound but it is extremely fitting to the film. Like the film itself, Nino Rota's Film score to The Godfather is highly regarded as one of the greatest film scores in cinema, I can say it's hard not to like. It definitely has the Italian feeling and it compliments the movie perfectly. I should add an interesting additional note that Carmine Coppola (the father of Francis Ford Coppola) did compose some of the additional music I find this kind of interesting considering that the Father and Son relationship between Michael and Vito was intriguely written. If that isn't interesting enough, Francis Ford Coppola put his daughter Sofia in the movie too with a cameo appearance as a baby boy. Some members of the family may have been involved in this movie and even the later Godfather films, but family also plays a theme in The Godfather. Another nice element that gives the film its elegance is Gordon Willis' cinematography. The film is shot well, the movie looks like it is in the 1940's. The cars you will see in the movie were cars made in the 1940's and this movie was only made in 1972 so it wasn't too difficult to find vehicles like that. The design is fitting for this film because of its setting. Overall, The entire movie is shot extremely well. Even though this is an adaptation of Mario Puzo's novel of the same name published in 1969. Mario Puzo and Francis Ford Coppola did write the screenplay, and regardless if the movie faithfully follows the book from the first page to the last, Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo are contempt with the changes that are there from Book to Movie. Even though The Godfather is a considered one of the greatest movies ever made. I was very close in rating this film a 10 out of 10, but I noticed a couple hiccups in the film, even though they are small errors they are not influencing me to change my mind that I find The Godfather to be a terrific film, those who saw the movie at face value can unanimously agree that The Godfather is a great film. My philosophy of "The 10 rating" is that it is as great as it is ever going to get. They are not perfect because of a rating like that. There could be some mistakes, and some miniscule flaws that can be found but are excused. Even if that were the case, they don't ruin the movie whatsoever. There really is no such thing as a perfect movie. Francis Ford Coppola pulled the strings with the terrific acting, excellent cinematography, fitting music, believable characters, and an intriguing plot. It is not only one of Francis Ford Coppola's masterpieces, it is one of the masterpieces in cinema

This film gets my Thumbs Up, it's a 5-star film.

My overall rating of The Godfather is a 9.9 out of 10, it is an excellent film.
  22. chw
    Jul 18, 2014
    The Godfather is a really really good movie. Through the 175 minutes of The Godfather, there is never a part that is boring or doesn't make any sense.
  23. Jun 23, 2014
    I'd never seen the Godfather prior to this weekend. A friend of mine asked how I can consider myself a movie reviewer, when I haven't even seen the film that is widely considered to be the best of all-time. He had a point, so I decided to rent it and my verdict is it. While the Godfather is a tremendous epic drama, I really don't see how it is considered to be the best film ever made. It'sI'd never seen the Godfather prior to this weekend. A friend of mine asked how I can consider myself a movie reviewer, when I haven't even seen the film that is widely considered to be the best of all-time. He had a point, so I decided to rent it and my verdict is it. While the Godfather is a tremendous epic drama, I really don't see how it is considered to be the best film ever made. It's a great story, with a superstar cast, which set the genre for all the mafia films that followed, but that in and of itself means the film is going to have problems. As with other mafia films, it's difficult to keep track of who's who in the large cast. It also moves rather quickly and viewers like myself are going to have a very difficult time of trying to follow the erratic timeline of the film. Some parts move at a snails pace, while other just fly by, and what is with the music? The soundtrack is almost as acclaimed as the film, but honestly if I had to hear that song one more time, during this three hour epic, I may have gone out and killed someone myself. For those unfamiliar with the story, it follows the evolution of the Corleone family, as they transition from one leader to the next. The story is fantastic and is the furthest thing from predictable that you will ever find. It is filed with classic scenes and renowned performance from Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, but I really have a hard time calling such a complicated story with that much violence, the best of all-time. The Godfather is a terrific movie, and I'm glad that I finally got to see it, but in a word, the film is overrated. Expand
  24. Jun 19, 2014
    An absolute masterpiece. This adaptation of Mario Puzo's novel is perfectly directed and masterfully acted. A never-aging classic that proves that cinematography can be an art.
  25. May 20, 2014
    All though those three hours were a bit exhausting to me, I would still say that watching "The Godfather" was exiting and thrilling, and I would recommend it to everyone, just so everyone could see what the buzz over this film is all about.
  26. Apr 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this movie over 5 years now. I've seen a lot of movies since that time and none of it will ever compare to this masterpiece. Al Pacino is the best gangster ever! It did changed my ideology. Just a few movies could do that and that is one of them! Expand
  27. Apr 16, 2014
    En su época esta película fue muy reveladora con el tema de pelis de Gangster, gran escenografia en retratando esos años 40, unas interpretaciones soberbias, la banda sonora, una historia muy cruda y a la vez maravillosa. Imprescindible.
  28. Apr 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Godfather Review
    by Al Carlson

The Godfather is a film considered by most to be one of the greatest ever made. From The American Film Institute to as voted by users on the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) it is consider to be one of the best. As a film that ranks as high as other masterpieces including Citizen Kane, Pulp Fiction and 12 Angry Men, The Godfather is an exceptional piece of cinema excellence that is flawless and is simply the pinnacle crime drama.
    The Godfather revolves around the Corleone’s, an Italian family with deep roots in the New York City mafia. The head of the Corleone’s is Don Vito Corleone, a man who takes care of his family and demands respect in return. His son Michael however, who just returned home from World War II, doesn’t want to become involved with the family business. The Sollozzo’s, a family of drug dealers, confront Don and request protection in exchange for profits from the Sollozzo’s drug sales. But Don declines the offer, for he is against selling narcotics. The rejected offer starts what turns into an all out mafia war between the two families with Michael diving deep into the mafia lifestyle.
    The characters are portrayed by a legendary all-star cast including Marlon Brando as Don, Al Pacino as his son Michael and James Caan as Don’s oldest son Sonny. The casting for this film has been considered by many to be the best casted film in history for their astonishing performances. All three main actors were nominated for an academy award, but only Marlon Brando won an Oscar for best actor in a leading role. It’s fascinating to watch how these characters change over the course of the movie, with one in particular changing drastically.
    Directer Francis Ford Coppola, being raised in an Italian-American family in New York, understood Italian culture exceptionally and made the film very authentically. Everything from the wedding dances to the cuisine to the terms used by the characters in Sicilian come from Coppola’s first-hand knowledge of Italian-American culture. Italian composer Nino Rota did an outstanding job making the soundtrack for the film, despite not getting the Oscar for best music (but he did win an Oscar for his work in the sequel, The Godfather: Part II). Virtually everyone recognizes that iconic trumpet solo once it starts playing. He also wrote the score for another great Italian film 8 1/2.
    This film should be immediately followed up by it’s sequel, The Godfather: Part II, which also won best picture. The series still holds the title of most best picture awards for a film series to this day. They’re both flawless crime dramas and have earned their titles as some of the best pieces of cinema ever. I will guarantee you won’t be able to see this film only once, as it gets better after continual viewings. There is really nothing more to add other than if you haven’t seen this movie yet, it’s about time you did. The Godfather is a movie you can’t refuse.
  29. Apr 1, 2014
    Masterfully done, and I am not just saying that. I watched the whole thing, and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen until the credits rolled. Summary, BEST MOVIE EVER.
  30. Mar 11, 2014
    The Godfather is unarguably the greatest film of all time. It dominates all its predecessors and its successors. Great acting performances also contribute to its magnificence.

1. Just about as great as a movie's ever gonna be... As for the storytellng, The Godfather is an intricately constructed gem that simultaneously kicks ass.
    The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion... It was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual.
    The wedding sequence... is a virtuoso stretch of filmmaking: Coppola brings his large cast onstage so artfully that we are drawn at once into the Godfather's world.