The Godfather

9.1

Universal acclaim- based on 1904 Ratings

1. Dec 28, 2011
    Like Babe Ruth is to baseball, like John Steinbeck is to writing, their is no doubt about it, The Godfather is the greatest film of all time. Never before have we seen performances so stellar, by Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, and everyone else! The Godfather has little life lessons everywhere. Along with an engaging plot, that just completes the most criticallyLike Babe Ruth is to baseball, like John Steinbeck is to writing, their is no doubt about it, The Godfather is the greatest film of all time. Never before have we seen performances so stellar, by Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, and everyone else! The Godfather has little life lessons everywhere. Along with an engaging plot, that just completes the most critically acclaimed film of all time. The Godfather is Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece. Expand
  2. Jan 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. I cant understand when somebody says negative about this movie.To me,it's perfect,the best picture of all times.Idea,director,actors,music,composer,make up..everything is ideal!!! I'm lo vin it! Collapse
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    It's easy to see why this is the highest rated film. The acting is on another level, the directing is not only gripping and atmospheric but it doesn't cut from one thing to another. Everything that's important is shown, all the dialogue, all the detail. The story is obviously what makes this film so great. Although not an action movie, some of the scenes make the typical modern HollywoodIt's easy to see why this is the highest rated film. The acting is on another level, the directing is not only gripping and atmospheric but it doesn't cut from one thing to another. Everything that's important is shown, all the dialogue, all the detail. The story is obviously what makes this film so great. Although not an action movie, some of the scenes make the typical modern Hollywood blockbuster look laughable. The film is not only well-directed and clever, but also easy to follow. The story isn't over-complicated with a bundle of events which have no connection. The only reason I'm not giving it a 10 is because it's over 3 hours, and for a film that long you'd expect more to happen. The film can be cut down by about half an hour without losing any narrative or quality. Expand
  4. Jan 12, 2013
    The best movie in Metacritic really is a great movie. Francis Ford Coppola made and aced a great film which is better than his sequels. Really well thought and made into a top hit Mafia-detective movie. One of Ford's best movies.
  5. Feb 27, 2013
    I find some negative reviews to be pointless either yammering on about how "long" the movie was, slow is another one (though many of these reviewers being kids and not quite used to the expository routines of late 60's drama) and committing the reviewers sin of comparing it to other hyper-spastic (almost cartoonish) crime dramas like Scarface and Pulp Fiction though exceptional in theirI find some negative reviews to be pointless either yammering on about how "long" the movie was, slow is another one (though many of these reviewers being kids and not quite used to the expository routines of late 60's drama) and committing the reviewers sin of comparing it to other hyper-spastic (almost cartoonish) crime dramas like Scarface and Pulp Fiction though exceptional in their own right. There is a quality of this film that tributes a long forgotten style of story telling within subtlety; the end result a beautifully woven opera of deceit, betrayal, loss and violence. It is and will always be a film that reaches the highest levels of fiction, wherein the film is preformed....and not spoon-fed to the audience. heaven forbid you'd have to do some actual thinking in order to complete a relatively easy 3 hours of story telling. Expand
  6. May 19, 2013
    Violent, well scripted and large, this classic American recounts a dark period in the history of america so perfect and convincing with perfect performances from all his cast this movie will likely be immortal.
  7. May 4, 2013
    The Godfather trilogy (and I'm one of the few who rates III up there with I and II) finds a wonderful balance between a well-paced story and some terrific crisis moments for its characters. For those who may be concerned about whether or not they will enjoy it, I'd suggest watching The Godfather (Part I) while keeping in mind that this is a story about Michael wanting to go straight, to beThe Godfather trilogy (and I'm one of the few who rates III up there with I and II) finds a wonderful balance between a well-paced story and some terrific crisis moments for its characters. For those who may be concerned about whether or not they will enjoy it, I'd suggest watching The Godfather (Part I) while keeping in mind that this is a story about Michael wanting to go straight, to be good. To society and to his family. Expand
  8. Dec 9, 2013
    I'm not a writer or a critic so I can't really tell you why this movie is perfect... but I know it is because of how I feel every time I see it. I'm moved.
  9. Dec 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Godfather is simply the god of films, it was a privilege to watch the Oscar winning performance of Marlon Brando, who conquered the role Vito Corleone. The film was a different class and is filled with incredible plots that is delivered in a fantastic mafia way. I recommend it to everyone even if they aren't into the gangster style films, it was no doubt the greatest film ever made. Each character resonates with you and the brilliant anti-hero role of Michael Corleone was a true gift to watch, which Al Pacino does not get enough credit for and was a genius replacement for Vito his father who's character was very difficult to equal.
    The scene in the restaurant between Michael, Sollozzo and McCluskey was magnificent and couldn't have been done any better, the suspense was outstanding from the bit Michael came back with the gun to the part he left the table with bullets in both men.
    When talking about leading you into movies, the Godfather pulled you in straight away the acting from Brando was intriguingly flawless. The first scene straight away brought the character Vito Corleone to life! We were never sure what Vito would say or what Michael would do, or how Sonny would react, which made me fall in love with the movie. And of course a big hand to the director Francis Ford Coppola, who brought us a film of pure gold that bestows the control of power from one generation to the other and character development of Michael was something special, when his father was shot the change took you by storm and when Sonny died he looked past justice and finished what his father had started, it was displayed with no fault what so ever and t all in all could not have been any better. The film take's you down the road of the powerful family crime dynasty and will blow your mind.
    The Godfather, is an offer you can't refuse.
  10. Dec 3, 2014
    it might be a long movie but you dont want it to end. The best gangster film of all time no doubt marlon brando improvisation made this move,and the movie is joined with 2 other amazing films which makes it the best triolgy. Al pacino as per usual at his best its a young al pacino that you see another rang of his brilliant acting skills
  11. Apr 29, 2015
    Rarely can it be said that a film has defined a genre, but never is that more true than in the case of The Godfather. Since the release of the 1972 epic (which garnered ten Academy Award nominations and was named Best Picture), all "gangster movies" have been judged by the standards of this one (unfair as the comparison may be). If a film is about Jewish mobsters, it's a "JewishRarely can it be said that a film has defined a genre, but never is that more true than in the case of The Godfather. Since the release of the 1972 epic (which garnered ten Academy Award nominations and was named Best Picture), all "gangster movies" have been judged by the standards of this one (unfair as the comparison may be). If a film is about Jewish mobsters, it's a "Jewish Godfather"; if it's about the Chinese underworld, it's an "Oriental Godfather"; if it takes place in contemporary times, it's a "modern day Godfather."

If The Godfather was only about gun-toting Mafia types, it would never have garnered as many accolades. The characteristic that sets this film apart from so many of its predecessors and successors is its ability to weave the often-disparate layers of story into a cohesive whole. Any of the individual issues explored by The Godfather are strong enough to form the foundation of a movie. Here, however, bolstered by so many complimentary themes, each is given added resonance. The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion.

Rarely does a film tell as many diverse-yet-interconnected stories. Strong performances, solid directing, and a tightly-plotted script all contribute to The Godfather's success. This motion picture was not slapped together to satiate the appetite of the masses; it was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual. Stereotypes did not influence Coppola's film, although certain ones were formed as a result of it.

Despite the likes of Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Scarface, ...And Justice for All, and Scent of a Woman on his resume, Pacino is best remembered for the role he created in The Godfather (and subsequently reprised in two sequels). While this is not his most demonstrative performance - indeed, he is exceptionally restrained - the quality of the script makes Michael Corleone notable.

Next to Humphrey Bogart's Rick from Casablanca, Oscar winner Marlon Brando's Don Vito may be the most imitated character in screen history. The line "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" has attained legendary status, as has the entire performance. With his raspy voice, deliberate movements, and penetrating stare, Brando has created a personae that will be recalled for as long as motion pictures exist.

The Godfather had three Best Supporting Actor nominees, all well-deserved. The first was Pacino (who probably should have been nominated alongside Brando in the Best Actor category). The other two were James Caan and Robert Duvall. In a way, it's surprising that Duvall wasn't passed over. His presence in The Godfather isn't flashy or attention-arresting. Like his character of Tom Hagen, he is steady, reliable, and stays in the background. Not so for Caan's Sonny, whose demonstrative and volatile personality can't be overlooked.

Family responsibility. A father's legacy. The need to earn respect. The corrupting influence of power. These are some of the ingredients combined in Francis Ford Coppola's cinematic blender. They are themes which have intrigued the greatest authors of every medium through the centuries.

Although the issues presented in The Godfather are universal in scope, the characters and setting are decidedly ethnic. Even to this day, there is an odd romanticism associated with New York's Italian crime families. The word "Mafia" conjures up images of the sinister and mysterious - scenes of the sort where Luca Brasi meets his fate. Francis Ford Coppola has tapped into this fascination and woven it as yet another element of the many that make his motion picture a compelling experience.

We come to The Godfather like Kay Adams - outsiders uncertain in our expectations - but it doesn't take long for us to be captivated by this intricate, violent world. The film can be viewed on many levels, with equal satisfaction awaiting those who just want a good story, and those who demand much more. The Godfather is long, yes - but it is one-hundred seventy minutes well-spent. When the closing credits roll, only a portion of the story has been told. Yet that last haunting image (Kay's shock of recognition), coupled with Nino Rota's mournful score, leaves a crater-like impression that The Godfather Part II only deepens.
  12. MikeC.
    May 20, 2007
    The movie is perfect. Everyone who gave it a 0 are probably the same people that watch Fox News and think global warming is fake so there is no point in arguing. Either you know movies or you don't.
  13. KyleF.
    Jan 2, 2006
    Great Movie
  14. EloiP.
    Mar 5, 2003
    An American Classic.
  15. HeatherP
    Feb 17, 2005
    Simply Flawless. Everytime I see it, I'm blown away all over again.
  16. MichaelI.
    Jul 10, 2003
    The best film I've ever seen, and maybe the best ever made!!
  17. Jan 15, 2011
    If not the greatest movie ever made, than certainly the greatest gangster drama movie ever made. You have probably heard that bin said before, and well, it's quite true. Now, if your a critic, you pretty much have to like this movie, even if you didn't. I certainly did like it because, one, it gives great performaces, especially by the great Marlon Brando, and it has a tremendousIf not the greatest movie ever made, than certainly the greatest gangster drama movie ever made. You have probably heard that bin said before, and well, it's quite true. Now, if your a critic, you pretty much have to like this movie, even if you didn't. I certainly did like it because, one, it gives great performaces, especially by the great Marlon Brando, and it has a tremendous screenplay that goes deep within its drama and plot points. Thrilling also,"The Godfather" is probably one of the best movies of the 20th century, and if you haven't already seen it, go get it and watch it. 10/10 [R] Expand
  18. RexG.
    May 13, 2006
    Thanks to Marlon Brando who made this movie the best of all times up to date. It keeps getting better the more often you watch it.
  19. Dec 27, 2011
  20. KarlK.
    Jul 2, 2003
    Best movie ever!
  21. JohnDawkins
    Mar 1, 2003
    Absolutely unmatched in its immersiveness. The opening wedding sequence is possibly the finest exposition of any film I've ever seen. This is a film that needs to be shown on the big screen every couple of years.
  22. Riren
    Mar 4, 2007
    If this movie seems slow to you, you've probably been watching too much contemporary television. This is how movies ought to be paced - organically, and earning their progress. When The Godfather is slow, it's because it's trying to share something with us, either a nuance, or a bit of great acting that deserves a few more seconds of screen time. The cast is amazing. The If this movie seems slow to you, you've probably been watching too much contemporary television. This is how movies ought to be paced - organically, and earning their progress. When The Godfather is slow, it's because it's trying to share something with us, either a nuance, or a bit of great acting that deserves a few more seconds of screen time. The cast is amazing. The score is famous for a reason. Its scenes became cliche for a reason. It won't make you feel better about the world, but damn is this a great example of storytelling. Expand
  23. NestorT.
    Apr 30, 2008
    this movie is perfect just for the LOOSERS that do not not understand a msterpice go ahead and see some homo intented film like the lord of the rings
  24. Luis
    Jan 20, 2007
    The first time I saw this movie, when it first came out 33 years ago, I left the theater after one hour or so, I was bored and confused, perhaps I was too young for this film. Today I consider the Godfather to be the best movie ever, I'm a fan of the film and I know every character and detail. Of course I seen it a hundreds times, in fact it
  25. MaxR.
    Mar 3, 2007
    Perfect.
  26. T.G.
    Aug 6, 2008
    Simply put, awesome movie.
  27. KellyA.
    Sep 19, 2006
    Is there really anything better?
  28. HeathQ.
    Jan 24, 2007
    This is a perfect score movie for a reason, it is the best movie that has ever been concieved. The score of 80 is not counted as it is an uncerdited and therefore and not from any professional critic, it should be put amongst the user reviews. As for people giving this film a 0/10 I am quite sure that you are pathetic little people that live their lives on the net and hang shit on any This is a perfect score movie for a reason, it is the best movie that has ever been concieved. The score of 80 is not counted as it is an uncerdited and therefore and not from any professional critic, it should be put amongst the user reviews. As for people giving this film a 0/10 I am quite sure that you are pathetic little people that live their lives on the net and hang shit on any movie with any substance or critical acclaim. The impact of this movie, considering it was made in 1972 still has great affect. My sister watched this movie for the first time just a couple of weeks ago and for someone who thinks Legally Blonde is a good movie to say this is one of the best films she has ever seen just proves it is excellent. Coppolla is a legendary filmmaker, many should take a leaf from his book. Expand
  29. MarkS.
    May 21, 2007
    Excellent movie.
  30. LonChaney
    May 3, 2007
    This movie is the best ever, and it shows its cinematic screenplay brilliance as well as its incredible, dynamic script, a great, amazingly-told storytelling, and a remarkable cast. Marlon Brando and Al Pacino star in this four-star crime drama.

1. Just about as great as a movie's ever gonna be... As for the storytellng, The Godfather is an intricately constructed gem that simultaneously kicks ass.
    The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion... It was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual.
    The wedding sequence... is a virtuoso stretch of filmmaking: Coppola brings his large cast onstage so artfully that we are drawn at once into the Godfather's world.