Paramount Pictures | Release Date: March 11, 1972
9.1
Universal acclaim based on 1952 Ratings
1,806
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
ReviewCriticDec 28, 2011
Like Babe Ruth is to baseball, like John Steinbeck is to writing, their is no doubt about it, The Godfather is the greatest film of all time. Never before have we seen performances so stellar, by Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, RobertLike Babe Ruth is to baseball, like John Steinbeck is to writing, their is no doubt about it, The Godfather is the greatest film of all time. Never before have we seen performances so stellar, by Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, and everyone else! The Godfather has little life lessons everywhere. Along with an engaging plot, that just completes the most critically acclaimed film of all time. The Godfather is Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece. Expand
vekoJan 18, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I cant understand when somebody says negative about this movie.To me,it's perfect,the best picture of all times.Idea,director,actors,music,composer,make up..everything is ideal!!! I'm lo vin it! Expand
sinadoomApr 4, 2013
It's easy to see why this is the highest rated film. The acting is on another level, the directing is not only gripping and atmospheric but it doesn't cut from one thing to another. Everything that's important is shown, all the dialogue, allIt's easy to see why this is the highest rated film. The acting is on another level, the directing is not only gripping and atmospheric but it doesn't cut from one thing to another. Everything that's important is shown, all the dialogue, all the detail. The story is obviously what makes this film so great. Although not an action movie, some of the scenes make the typical modern Hollywood blockbuster look laughable. The film is not only well-directed and clever, but also easy to follow. The story isn't over-complicated with a bundle of events which have no connection. The only reason I'm not giving it a 10 is because it's over 3 hours, and for a film that long you'd expect more to happen. The film can be cut down by about half an hour without losing any narrative or quality. Expand
Annoymous1Jan 12, 2013
The best movie in Metacritic really is a great movie. Francis Ford Coppola made and aced a great film which is better than his sequels. Really well thought and made into a top hit Mafia-detective movie. One of Ford's best movies.
joey-clemenzaFeb 27, 2013
I find some negative reviews to be pointless either yammering on about how "long" the movie was, slow is another one (though many of these reviewers being kids and not quite used to the expository routines of late 60's drama) and committingI find some negative reviews to be pointless either yammering on about how "long" the movie was, slow is another one (though many of these reviewers being kids and not quite used to the expository routines of late 60's drama) and committing the reviewers sin of comparing it to other hyper-spastic (almost cartoonish) crime dramas like Scarface and Pulp Fiction though exceptional in their own right. There is a quality of this film that tributes a long forgotten style of story telling within subtlety; the end result a beautifully woven opera of deceit, betrayal, loss and violence. It is and will always be a film that reaches the highest levels of fiction, wherein the film is preformed....and not spoon-fed to the audience. heaven forbid you'd have to do some actual thinking in order to complete a relatively easy 3 hours of story telling. Expand
ScorpionMay 19, 2013
Violent, well scripted and large, this classic American recounts a dark period in the history of america so perfect and convincing with perfect performances from all his cast this movie will likely be immortal.
MrLikeableMay 4, 2013
The Godfather trilogy (and I'm one of the few who rates III up there with I and II) finds a wonderful balance between a well-paced story and some terrific crisis moments for its characters. For those who may be concerned about whether or notThe Godfather trilogy (and I'm one of the few who rates III up there with I and II) finds a wonderful balance between a well-paced story and some terrific crisis moments for its characters. For those who may be concerned about whether or not they will enjoy it, I'd suggest watching The Godfather (Part I) while keeping in mind that this is a story about Michael wanting to go straight, to be good. To society and to his family. Expand
ibadukefanDec 9, 2013
I'm not a writer or a critic so I can't really tell you why this movie is perfect... but I know it is because of how I feel every time I see it. I'm moved.
Karl7nitramDec 15, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Godfather is simply the god of films, it was a privilege to watch the Oscar winning performance of Marlon Brando, who conquered the role Vito Corleone. The film was a different class and is filled with incredible plots that is delivered in a fantastic mafia way. I recommend it to everyone even if they aren't into the gangster style films, it was no doubt the greatest film ever made. Each character resonates with you and the brilliant anti-hero role of Michael Corleone was a true gift to watch, which Al Pacino does not get enough credit for and was a genius replacement for Vito his father who's character was very difficult to equal.
The scene in the restaurant between Michael, Sollozzo and McCluskey was magnificent and couldn't have been done any better, the suspense was outstanding from the bit Michael came back with the gun to the part he left the table with bullets in both men.
When talking about leading you into movies, the Godfather pulled you in straight away the acting from Brando was intriguingly flawless. The first scene straight away brought the character Vito Corleone to life! We were never sure what Vito would say or what Michael would do, or how Sonny would react, which made me fall in love with the movie. And of course a big hand to the director Francis Ford Coppola, who brought us a film of pure gold that bestows the control of power from one generation to the other and character development of Michael was something special, when his father was shot the change took you by storm and when Sonny died he looked past justice and finished what his father had started, it was displayed with no fault what so ever and t all in all could not have been any better. The film take's you down the road of the powerful family crime dynasty and will blow your mind.
The Godfather, is an offer you can't refuse.
jamiecusackDec 3, 2014
it might be a long movie but you dont want it to end. The best gangster film of all time no doubt marlon brando improvisation made this move,and the movie is joined with 2 other amazing films which makes it the best triolgy. Al pacino as perit might be a long movie but you dont want it to end. The best gangster film of all time no doubt marlon brando improvisation made this move,and the movie is joined with 2 other amazing films which makes it the best triolgy. Al pacino as per usual at his best its a young al pacino that you see another rang of his brilliant acting skills Expand
CineFilesApr 29, 2015
Rarely can it be said that a film has defined a genre, but never is that more true than in the case of The Godfather. Since the release of the 1972 epic (which garnered ten Academy Award nominations and was named Best Picture), all "gangsterRarely can it be said that a film has defined a genre, but never is that more true than in the case of The Godfather. Since the release of the 1972 epic (which garnered ten Academy Award nominations and was named Best Picture), all "gangster movies" have been judged by the standards of this one (unfair as the comparison may be). If a film is about Jewish mobsters, it's a "Jewish Godfather"; if it's about the Chinese underworld, it's an "Oriental Godfather"; if it takes place in contemporary times, it's a "modern day Godfather."

If The Godfather was only about gun-toting Mafia types, it would never have garnered as many accolades. The characteristic that sets this film apart from so many of its predecessors and successors is its ability to weave the often-disparate layers of story into a cohesive whole. Any of the individual issues explored by The Godfather are strong enough to form the foundation of a movie. Here, however, bolstered by so many complimentary themes, each is given added resonance. The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion.

Rarely does a film tell as many diverse-yet-interconnected stories. Strong performances, solid directing, and a tightly-plotted script all contribute to The Godfather's success. This motion picture was not slapped together to satiate the appetite of the masses; it was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual. Stereotypes did not influence Coppola's film, although certain ones were formed as a result of it.

Despite the likes of Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Scarface, ...And Justice for All, and Scent of a Woman on his resume, Pacino is best remembered for the role he created in The Godfather (and subsequently reprised in two sequels). While this is not his most demonstrative performance - indeed, he is exceptionally restrained - the quality of the script makes Michael Corleone notable.

Next to Humphrey Bogart's Rick from Casablanca, Oscar winner Marlon Brando's Don Vito may be the most imitated character in screen history. The line "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" has attained legendary status, as has the entire performance. With his raspy voice, deliberate movements, and penetrating stare, Brando has created a personae that will be recalled for as long as motion pictures exist.

The Godfather had three Best Supporting Actor nominees, all well-deserved. The first was Pacino (who probably should have been nominated alongside Brando in the Best Actor category). The other two were James Caan and Robert Duvall. In a way, it's surprising that Duvall wasn't passed over. His presence in The Godfather isn't flashy or attention-arresting. Like his character of Tom Hagen, he is steady, reliable, and stays in the background. Not so for Caan's Sonny, whose demonstrative and volatile personality can't be overlooked.

Family responsibility. A father's legacy. The need to earn respect. The corrupting influence of power. These are some of the ingredients combined in Francis Ford Coppola's cinematic blender. They are themes which have intrigued the greatest authors of every medium through the centuries.

Although the issues presented in The Godfather are universal in scope, the characters and setting are decidedly ethnic. Even to this day, there is an odd romanticism associated with New York's Italian crime families. The word "Mafia" conjures up images of the sinister and mysterious - scenes of the sort where Luca Brasi meets his fate. Francis Ford Coppola has tapped into this fascination and woven it as yet another element of the many that make his motion picture a compelling experience.

We come to The Godfather like Kay Adams - outsiders uncertain in our expectations - but it doesn't take long for us to be captivated by this intricate, violent world. The film can be viewed on many levels, with equal satisfaction awaiting those who just want a good story, and those who demand much more. The Godfather is long, yes - but it is one-hundred seventy minutes well-spent. When the closing credits roll, only a portion of the story has been told. Yet that last haunting image (Kay's shock of recognition), coupled with Nino Rota's mournful score, leaves a crater-like impression that The Godfather Part II only deepens.
MikeC.May 20, 2007
The movie is perfect. Everyone who gave it a 0 are probably the same people that watch Fox News and think global warming is fake so there is no point in arguing. Either you know movies or you don't.
13 of 21 users found this helpful
KyleF.Jan 2, 2006
Great Movie
3 of 5 users found this helpful
EloiP.Mar 5, 2003
An American Classic.
4 of 7 users found this helpful
HeatherPFeb 17, 2005
Simply Flawless. Everytime I see it, I'm blown away all over again.
4 of 7 users found this helpful
MichaelI.Jul 10, 2003
The best film I've ever seen, and maybe the best ever made!!
5 of 9 users found this helpful
MrFugiReviewsJan 15, 2011
If not the greatest movie ever made, than certainly the greatest gangster drama movie ever made. You have probably heard that bin said before, and well, it's quite true. Now, if your a critic, you pretty much have to like this movie, even ifIf not the greatest movie ever made, than certainly the greatest gangster drama movie ever made. You have probably heard that bin said before, and well, it's quite true. Now, if your a critic, you pretty much have to like this movie, even if you didn't. I certainly did like it because, one, it gives great performaces, especially by the great Marlon Brando, and it has a tremendous screenplay that goes deep within its drama and plot points. Thrilling also,"The Godfather" is probably one of the best movies of the 20th century, and if you haven't already seen it, go get it and watch it. 10/10 [R] Expand
RexG.May 13, 2006
Thanks to Marlon Brando who made this movie the best of all times up to date. It keeps getting better the more often you watch it.
4 of 8 users found this helpful
OscarOrNotDec 27, 2011
KarlK.Jul 2, 2003
Best movie ever!
3 of 6 users found this helpful
JohnDawkinsMar 1, 2003
Absolutely unmatched in its immersiveness. The opening wedding sequence is possibly the finest exposition of any film I've ever seen. This is a film that needs to be shown on the big screen every couple of years.
RirenMar 4, 2007
If this movie seems slow to you, you've probably been watching too much contemporary television. This is how movies ought to be paced - organically, and earning their progress. When The Godfather is slow, it's because it's If this movie seems slow to you, you've probably been watching too much contemporary television. This is how movies ought to be paced - organically, and earning their progress. When The Godfather is slow, it's because it's trying to share something with us, either a nuance, or a bit of great acting that deserves a few more seconds of screen time. The cast is amazing. The score is famous for a reason. Its scenes became cliche for a reason. It won't make you feel better about the world, but damn is this a great example of storytelling. Expand
NestorT.Apr 30, 2008
this movie is perfect just for the LOOSERS that do not not understand a msterpice go ahead and see some homo intented film like the lord of the rings
LuisJan 20, 2007
The first time I saw this movie, when it first came out 33 years ago, I left the theater after one hour or so, I was bored and confused, perhaps I was too young for this film. Today I consider the Godfather to be the best movie ever, The first time I saw this movie, when it first came out 33 years ago, I left the theater after one hour or so, I was bored and confused, perhaps I was too young for this film. Today I consider the Godfather to be the best movie ever, I'm a fan of the film and I know every character and detail. Of course I seen it a hundreds times, in fact it Expand
MaxR.Mar 3, 2007
Perfect.
T.G.Aug 6, 2008
Simply put, awesome movie.
KellyA.Sep 19, 2006
Is there really anything better?
HeathQ.Jan 24, 2007
This is a perfect score movie for a reason, it is the best movie that has ever been concieved. The score of 80 is not counted as it is an uncerdited and therefore and not from any professional critic, it should be put amongst the user This is a perfect score movie for a reason, it is the best movie that has ever been concieved. The score of 80 is not counted as it is an uncerdited and therefore and not from any professional critic, it should be put amongst the user reviews. As for people giving this film a 0/10 I am quite sure that you are pathetic little people that live their lives on the net and hang shit on any movie with any substance or critical acclaim. The impact of this movie, considering it was made in 1972 still has great affect. My sister watched this movie for the first time just a couple of weeks ago and for someone who thinks Legally Blonde is a good movie to say this is one of the best films she has ever seen just proves it is excellent. Coppolla is a legendary filmmaker, many should take a leaf from his book. Expand
MarkS.May 21, 2007
Excellent movie.
LonChaneyMay 3, 2007
This movie is the best ever, and it shows its cinematic screenplay brilliance as well as its incredible, dynamic script, a great, amazingly-told storytelling, and a remarkable cast. Marlon Brando and Al Pacino star in this four-star crime drama.
JohnDawkinsMay 3, 2007
nicktJan 21, 2009
I think this the best movie ever made. Ths is the #1 in gangster films. #1 in movies all around. THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER!!!
MattD.Feb 21, 2007
One of the best movies ever along with Godfather II, and other classics...Marlon Brando shows off his range and acting versatility by transforming from being a '50s American actor to a convincingly Italian mafia man. I first thought he One of the best movies ever along with Godfather II, and other classics...Marlon Brando shows off his range and acting versatility by transforming from being a '50s American actor to a convincingly Italian mafia man. I first thought he was Italian, and I was surprised how un-italian he was prior to his role. So good, that he would adopt this speech into his everyday talk for the rest of his life. That man was a legend. Pair him up of Al Pacino, who was a budding star, and now legend (though he has plateaued ever since Scent of a Woman, when he won an Oscar for saying Huah!, when it really should've been for this role, or as Tony Montana in Scarface, in Dog Day Afternoon, in Carlito's Way, or other). Pacino is startling brilliant as a seemingly normal young man who reluctantly joins the mafia, but then takes over the family business and runs it like his own after it was passed down from Brando. James Cahn was absolutely phenomenal as the hotheaded Sonny Corleone, and Jon Cazale as the weak-minded brother Fredo. This movie changed the gangsta movie landscape giving a third dimension to previous cop-bad guy, go kill movies, and really gives an insight of what they are about, that being loyalty, trust, bonding, and later turns into power, corruption, greed, and eventually the downfall of Michael Corleone. None of them are the typical good guy, but all of them are interesting as characters and it engages you wholly into the film and thrusts you into the dialogue, making you never want to take a bathroom break. This is what makes a classic, and if you don't understand the concept of this, than you don't know movies. Expand
HopeMar 17, 2007
This movie is possibly the best movie off all time. It has all of the element of a great timeless classic. It has big stars/soon to become big stars, a great director and an amazing plot! It rightly deserves to be number one!
KyleF.Apr 21, 2008
Great Movie
KarlK.Jun 21, 2008
Best movie ever!
Christopher_G2Oct 9, 2010
This is certainly one of the greatest movies ever made. It's such amazingly well-acted, well-written movie with an epic story line that takes you through many themes like love, sadness, loyalty, revenge and betrayal is such an encompassingThis is certainly one of the greatest movies ever made. It's such amazingly well-acted, well-written movie with an epic story line that takes you through many themes like love, sadness, loyalty, revenge and betrayal is such an encompassing and totally believable way. I will never get tired of watching this masterpiece. Expand
deltapatrickSep 8, 2010
hell i dont even need to write a review for this movie everything was perfect! but since i need 150 charecters i will give tiny details this movie has great great acting the story is beutiful and everything else is amazing
MoviebuffreviewJan 28, 2011
An excellent adapted script, an unforgettable ensemble, an amazing score, excellent quotes, and unforgettable moments, The Godfather is nothing short of a masterpiece!
chardr69Jun 2, 2011
An American classic, and one of the greatest film's ever made. Director Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece, based on Mario Puzo's bestselling novel starring Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall and Diane Keaton. The filmAn American classic, and one of the greatest film's ever made. Director Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece, based on Mario Puzo's bestselling novel starring Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall and Diane Keaton. The film chronicles a ten year span (1945 to 1955) in the life of the Italian-American Corleone crime family of New York City. Won the 1972 Academy Award for Best Picture, Best Actor (Brando) and Best Adapted Screenplay (Coppola and Puzo). Expand
canyouflyrayJan 15, 2012
A cinematic masterpiece. In the top 100 movies list for a reason. For those people (You know who you are and I'm not going to individually name you) who gave this movie a bad review, simply put you have no brain or very simple minded maybeA cinematic masterpiece. In the top 100 movies list for a reason. For those people (You know who you are and I'm not going to individually name you) who gave this movie a bad review, simply put you have no brain or very simple minded maybe brain dead moron movies like Freddy got Fingered or Dumb and Dumberer (yes the prequel to Dumb and Dumber because the first movie might be way to complicated for you) is better suited for you. This is why I hate forums like this because some idiots of the world need some face punching for their insulting stupidity. Expand
TheDaveHimselfJul 18, 2011
As epic as you can possibly get. Combined with Part II (I recommend watching back to back in one sitting), there is no way you can top the film-making here. Some of the most memorable characters and dialogue to ever hit the silver screen.As epic as you can possibly get. Combined with Part II (I recommend watching back to back in one sitting), there is no way you can top the film-making here. Some of the most memorable characters and dialogue to ever hit the silver screen. Marlon Brando's career was gold even before this, but this applies him for sainthood. Robert Duvall and James Caan are fantastic and Al Pacino broods well among these great actors. Francis Ford Coppola created a masterpiece here (and then he did it again with Apocalypse Now). It's possible he owned the 70's. Expand
j30Feb 13, 2012
You hear all this hype surrounding The Godfather, such as "it's a masterpiece," and the movie is included in countless critics and moviegoers top 10 movies of all time. I'm afraid they're right. The movie is a masterpiece and a beautifulYou hear all this hype surrounding The Godfather, such as "it's a masterpiece," and the movie is included in countless critics and moviegoers top 10 movies of all time. I'm afraid they're right. The movie is a masterpiece and a beautiful piece of art that surpasses most films I have ever seen. From a technical standpoint it's flawless. Expand
imthenoobJan 29, 2012
Its one of the greatest films of all time for a reason. The acting is amazing, The story telling is great. It has a few minor flaws (such as when Sunny beats up Connie's husband, that was a terrible fight scene). Yet all the minor flaws areIts one of the greatest films of all time for a reason. The acting is amazing, The story telling is great. It has a few minor flaws (such as when Sunny beats up Connie's husband, that was a terrible fight scene). Yet all the minor flaws are completely forgetable because the movie is that good. Expand
LaMagiadeVirueAug 15, 2013
Que obra maestra. De lo mejor que ha visto el cine en su historia. Una excelente dirección, guión, historia. Todo, absolutamente todo. Algo realmente impresionante.
EnricoDandoloMay 20, 2014
All though those three hours were a bit exhausting to me, I would still say that watching "The Godfather" was exiting and thrilling, and I would recommend it to everyone, just so everyone could see what the buzz over this film is all about.
StephenMJan 13, 2005
If you're interested in crime dramas like The Sopranos, then this film has its moments. For the rest of us, all the poignant double meanings and family-first morals simply can't save a film that isn't as entertaining or If you're interested in crime dramas like The Sopranos, then this film has its moments. For the rest of us, all the poignant double meanings and family-first morals simply can't save a film that isn't as entertaining or remarkable as everyone has built it up to be. Expand
2 of 5 users found this helpful
grandpajoe6191Sep 10, 2011
"The Godfather" is one of the few gangster films that connects the members of the Mafia as a family. The cinematography is rich and the music is perfect. However, I failed to see how Marlon Brando's performance was top notch. His acting was"The Godfather" is one of the few gangster films that connects the members of the Mafia as a family. The cinematography is rich and the music is perfect. However, I failed to see how Marlon Brando's performance was top notch. His acting was decent; he did not move much nor talk much. His voice also was barely understandable due to his croaking voice mumbling what sounded like English. Ultimately "The Godfather" still stands up as the best movie in the American crime genre. Expand
OliverC.Jan 23, 2007
It's pretty boring, all the characters are unlikable. It's hard to relate to a movie when all you want is for the main characters to stop doing things.
6 of 21 users found this helpful
MattF.Jan 8, 2005
I was really looking forward to seeing this hyped-up movie, which I finally saw a couple of weeks ago. The whole plot was convoluted and boring, the deep entertaining potential of this tale is ruined by some terrible casting. The scenery and I was really looking forward to seeing this hyped-up movie, which I finally saw a couple of weeks ago. The whole plot was convoluted and boring, the deep entertaining potential of this tale is ruined by some terrible casting. The scenery and props were completely uninteresting, even for the relatively uninteresting time period in which this movie was released. Overall, I now despise this more than almost any other (save the pointless "Godfather II" that I flipped by on TV a couple of weeks ago. So what was the 1 redeeming quality that made me rate this unnecessary movie a score of 1? Marlon Brando's acting was acceptable, not exceptional, compared to everyone else's dismal. Expand
4 of 14 users found this helpful
WilliamD.Jan 16, 2010
Godfather isn't a terrible movie. On the contrary, its a movie with a ton of unrealized potential that executes with the grain.
5 of 20 users found this helpful
JaysonB.Apr 8, 2005
An okay movie, but not all it's cracked up to be. Watch Donnie-Darko or A Very Long Engagement. Those are real movies.
2 of 8 users found this helpful
PodreySanchezAug 20, 2012
I watched it. Didn't like it. I found myself bored 30 minutes into the party scene at the start of the movie. Not as good as i thought it would be. I had a better time watching Goodfellas, The Departed, Scarface, Once Upon A Time In America.I watched it. Didn't like it. I found myself bored 30 minutes into the party scene at the start of the movie. Not as good as i thought it would be. I had a better time watching Goodfellas, The Departed, Scarface, Once Upon A Time In America. there good gangster movies. I just don't get why people love it so much. Expand
CritiqueGirlMar 4, 2011
I saw it on TV so it was a lot less violent. It is the definitive mafia movie, even if they were never allowed to say the word. The mafia would not have liked it.
RyanM.Jan 9, 2009
Good movie, but a bit over-rated. I do not think it deserves a 100 score.
7 of 29 users found this helpful
mason4tadoAug 13, 2011
Great script writing can't make up for it's boring storyline and slow pacing.
RyanN.Sep 2, 2006
I HATE this movie. What a load of boring drivel. From the beginning to the end, this film neither exited or engaged me. The characters seemed utterly false, the story utterly mundane. There have been far better ganster films - the I HATE this movie. What a load of boring drivel. From the beginning to the end, this film neither exited or engaged me. The characters seemed utterly false, the story utterly mundane. There have been far better ganster films - the untouchables, donnie brasco, hell - even bugsy malone is better than this. And the worst thing is, everyone seems to love it. Why? WHY? The best movie ever? This, better than Pulp Fiction? This, better than LA Confidential? This, better than Scarface? this is a bandwagon "best film ever" and each of you knows that you are lying and following the trend. Oh, and the length of the film was just the icing. It should have ended about 3 times before it did finally end. Expand
5 of 22 users found this helpful
BlaP.Jun 9, 2008
very very over rated movie and could not get into it i would give it a 7 but beacsue its supposed to be the best movie of all time and kinda sucked it get 0 points from me
8 of 36 users found this helpful
PabloR.Jun 28, 2008
Over rated!! WOW. Was that booooooring... Only reason it has a decent score is because i guess it was one of those boring movies that you don't like but since everyone thinks they're good.. "Its good." But it's not really good.
2 of 9 users found this helpful
JoshCApr 8, 2007
This movie isn't what i expected, I couldn't sit and watch it for 3 hours, true the acting was good but its 3 hours of boredom if you ask me.
3 of 14 users found this helpful
PhilipBAug 26, 2009
The first part is ok, but kept falling asleep for the rest of it, and never even made it to part three. One of the most boring movies I've ever tried to sit through.
3 of 14 users found this helpful
GG.Jan 3, 2007
Brando is awful in this, he mumbles so he doesn't have to do an accent.
5 of 24 users found this helpful
JamesKMay 1, 2007
Did not care for it. It insists upon itself.
11 of 53 users found this helpful
TomZ.Jan 3, 2007
HORRIBLE FILM!! so boring, this metascore is clearly rigged, it is impossible for 100, as that means absolutely everyone rated it perfect! Grrr.
4 of 20 users found this helpful
NickPJan 11, 2009
Too overrated.either the the revievers were paid to give it good scores or they were threatened by the mob.
4 of 20 users found this helpful
PatRDec 30, 2009
It's funny. I just read Zach B's comment. And guess what buddy? I was born in 1994. So take that. Anyway, I thought this movie was okay. I'm sure it was good at the time, but should it really be considered the greatest film of It's funny. I just read Zach B's comment. And guess what buddy? I was born in 1994. So take that. Anyway, I thought this movie was okay. I'm sure it was good at the time, but should it really be considered the greatest film of all time? Films like Die Hard were good at the time, and are STILL good today, and yet no one considers THAT the greatest movie of all time. Godfather, in general, seems very tame compared to many modern films such as Changeling. I can understand why adults think it's the greatest film of all time, but it just isn't my cup of tea. I never did like classic films unless they have something good in them other then the fact that they're classic. Expand
3 of 15 users found this helpful
AndrewK.Jul 20, 2006
This is the movie that everybody argues is better than Scarface? Scarface blows this dumbass movie to hell. This is a true borefest.
2 of 10 users found this helpful
WilliamMar 3, 2005
Over rated, but the again so is every movie that wins an oscar.
1 of 5 users found this helpful
Brian_McInnisMar 27, 2012
I've never before been bored by a slow-moving film. Ever so much more weight is put on the horse-head scene than it supports. A husband-wife fight is phoney, weak, amateur and isn't even peanuts compared to any such scene by Scorsese. AI've never before been bored by a slow-moving film. Ever so much more weight is put on the horse-head scene than it supports. A husband-wife fight is phoney, weak, amateur and isn't even peanuts compared to any such scene by Scorsese. A curly-haired guy beats a guy up and it looks as fake as the fakest action I've ever seen; it was so bad it was hysterical. As in the faintly superior sequel, Robert Duvall's role consists almost entirely of standing around looking mildly concerned. Early scenes with Brando are effective enough, but not a whole lot else is. That curly-haired guy gets shot by a whole buncha guys later on and some friends asked me if I understood how and why the ambush happened as though I could possibly care why it happened or who he was. I heard one person complain that the film 'insists on itself', but it seemed to me more like it didn't even care it existed. At the moment, this movie has nearly five hundred and fifty thousand votes on I.M.D.B., but 'Goodfellas' has only three hundred and twenty-five thousand and 'Casino' barely over a hundred and fifty thousand. Sad. But Francis Ford went on to make an infinitely better film only seven years later, and his daughter an unutterably better one three decades later, and so the Family thrives. Expand
HenryS.May 4, 2004
I disliked this movie very much... there have been better mafia movies than this.
4 of 21 users found this helpful
JoeFJan 17, 2010
Masterpiece of $&!%. The ratio of 10 ratings is a excellent example of how dependent peoples minds are on the status quo. If you were to watch this movie without ever hearing about it you would most likely find it to be a well scripted dull Masterpiece of $&!%. The ratio of 10 ratings is a excellent example of how dependent peoples minds are on the status quo. If you were to watch this movie without ever hearing about it you would most likely find it to be a well scripted dull movie and nothing more. Expand
6 of 33 users found this helpful
ZachS.Feb 5, 2007
Wow. That's all I have to say, this film was just horribly overrated.... I mean it's not a bad film or anything, but it is too boring and none of the characters are really likable.
RyanJ.Jul 18, 2007
I don't know where all of you get off. "Oh I like The Godfather.. you know, and The Beatles, and bread, and water, and breathing" please can we get out of the mentality that we have to venerate this movie. Sure. Watch it once. Recall I don't know where all of you get off. "Oh I like The Godfather.. you know, and The Beatles, and bread, and water, and breathing" please can we get out of the mentality that we have to venerate this movie. Sure. Watch it once. Recall that the baby boomer generation will revere it until they die off. I say at that point we don't show this movie to kids born in the 21st century. next! Expand
DavidC.Sep 25, 2007
Ok if by 100 you mean its worth seeing if you get paid $100 dollars but I would not even see it again for that much worse time of my life and the only reason i didn't leave is because it was raining out side. This movie was the worse I Ok if by 100 you mean its worth seeing if you get paid $100 dollars but I would not even see it again for that much worse time of my life and the only reason i didn't leave is because it was raining out side. This movie was the worse I hope critics get shot for saying other wise. Expand
ShawnM.Nov 23, 2006
Mumbling Brando is what he should be called. I just didn't see what the big deal was about. I like period movies, dramas, etc., so I thought I would love this film. It left me completely unmoved. Which made it even more confusing - why Mumbling Brando is what he should be called. I just didn't see what the big deal was about. I like period movies, dramas, etc., so I thought I would love this film. It left me completely unmoved. Which made it even more confusing - why the raving critical praise? So I rated it below grade because I felt my time was robbed from me. I've seen better crime films and dramas. Expand
1 of 6 users found this helpful
BobNJul 29, 2009
Godfather is NOT the best film ever made (waiting for the plague.) Highly over praised. It is exactly like Apocolypse Now- has moments of greatness- but holy crap is it boring. Brando is commical. Pacino is Pacino starring as Pacino in the Godfather is NOT the best film ever made (waiting for the plague.) Highly over praised. It is exactly like Apocolypse Now- has moments of greatness- but holy crap is it boring. Brando is commical. Pacino is Pacino starring as Pacino in the role of Pacino. I think people love this film soley due to the title: Godfather. Imgaine if the film was called: Second Cousin, or Younger Sister. Nope, had to go with God. Anyways, yeah, this movie...it's an overbloated corpse floating in an L.A. drain pipe...interesting to look at but not for too long. Expand
1 of 6 users found this helpful
JimBobJonesJan 9, 2008
The most overrated and boring thing i have ever seen. It was just a bunch of stuff that happened for three hours. No point, no meaning, no feeling. Get off the bandwaggon!
OverRatedAug 13, 2008
Completely over rated ... nuff said.
AlexanderT.Jul 12, 2006
This movie sucks.
AlexanderT.Sep 4, 2007
This movie sucks.
2 of 14 users found this helpful
SeanM.Nov 12, 2003
Excuse me, how did this movie get a 100, the metacritic calculation failed to factor in the last entry which would inevitably knock down the score to a 99. I personally have never seen the movie but I am just pointing out the fact that the Excuse me, how did this movie get a 100, the metacritic calculation failed to factor in the last entry which would inevitably knock down the score to a 99. I personally have never seen the movie but I am just pointing out the fact that the critism of the movie is very bias towards it being perfect and classic. [Ed: Sean, take a look at the scoring explained page re: normalization.] Expand
2 of 16 users found this helpful
steventroubleJan 11, 2013
This is the only movie I've ever watched that has put me to sleep. I imagine that the entire movie could have been put into about 1/8th the time and still have retained all of its meaning.
MovieGuy811Feb 21, 2016
This movie doesn't have any lightsabers in tit and no Optimus Prime. VERY BORING there isn't even Jar Jar Binks? Like what the heck! THIS IS THE ABSOULTE WORST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!!
DesmondLAug 5, 2009
Classical and unboring movies.
BenGJun 20, 2005
To Rick C at the bottom of this page - You love it, i don't. You have your opinion and i'll have mine. You are ignorant. The Godfather is a good film but just too long and massively over rated. 6/10.
0 of 6 users found this helpful
BrettCJul 6, 2006
I can't believe i've I never had seen the entire movie before the other day it is amazing. I got the set of dvds and all of them are good, but the first is the best. It now is up ther with Revenge of the Sith, King Kong, Lord of I can't believe i've I never had seen the entire movie before the other day it is amazing. I got the set of dvds and all of them are good, but the first is the best. It now is up ther with Revenge of the Sith, King Kong, Lord of the Rings, War of the Worlds, aving Private Ryan and many others it is amazing see all three. Expand
0 of 3 users found this helpful
EnzoP.Jul 6, 2009
The Godfather is incredible Francis Ford Coppola has made a one of a kind movie. All actors score big on the screen.
CaseyK.Jan 22, 2010
I can not see what is wrong with this, but i can see what is brilliant about it!! fabulous acting with rich enduring story telling. how it tells you about the mafia with the Michael the son (Al Pacino) wanting a life for himself really gets I can not see what is wrong with this, but i can see what is brilliant about it!! fabulous acting with rich enduring story telling. how it tells you about the mafia with the Michael the son (Al Pacino) wanting a life for himself really gets you into heart with the idea of loosing family in the dangerous business of crime operations. Expand
lamyaaA.Feb 1, 2010
You talk about the realness, here you find it, honesly i can't say more because this movie more than more.
SamWFeb 16, 2010
Greatest movie of all time. To those who believe the Metascore is off, should probably read how scores are calculated. They are WEIGHTED, as in Variety (the irrelevant little publication) doesn't count for much. Definitely deserves the 100.
JosieP.Mar 1, 2003
What an amazing story!
RobertMar 2, 2003
Amazing. The acting is spectacular, the scenery is incredible, and the story... what a story! Three hours long yes, but its a fast, exciting three hours.
NickJun 4, 2003
One of the best movies ever. i'm not quite sure which was better; the film or the book?
DonMulroneycakesJul 13, 2003
Better films have been made since? Well, there was Godfather II, but other than that, only "as good as". Variety, meanwhile, offer me with more evidence that they wouldn't know a good movie if it spent about fifteen minutes shooting Better films have been made since? Well, there was Godfather II, but other than that, only "as good as". Variety, meanwhile, offer me with more evidence that they wouldn't know a good movie if it spent about fifteen minutes shooting them with tommy-guns at a tollbooth. But really, other than to reply to other people, what is there to say about the Godfather? Oh, right, nothing. Expand
GiovanniRiccardiF.Jul 14, 2003
Such a beautiful film! as long as you are not squeamish, i strongly encourage all moviegoers to view this classic drama.
MatthewA.Dec 1, 2004
This movie enters your soul and devours everything outside of the television screen that you are watching. So engrossing is this movie that to stray away from it(as if you could) for even a moment should be a crime dealt with by the This movie enters your soul and devours everything outside of the television screen that you are watching. So engrossing is this movie that to stray away from it(as if you could) for even a moment should be a crime dealt with by the fictional mafioso portrayed in the film. Movies are meant to rip you away from the forced reality of your everyday life and The Godfather does this in one masterful stroke beginning with the opening wedding scene. Pure film nirvanna. Expand
JackS.Oct 20, 2004
Godfather is the don of all movies. great acting, great plot, true portrayal of mafia.
MudassarB.Jan 31, 2004
Along with its sequel, without a doubt the greatest and most epic film ever made. Brando, Pacino,Duvall and Caan show why they are screen legends and Coppolla shows why despite making no great films since Apocalypse Now we still remember him Along with its sequel, without a doubt the greatest and most epic film ever made. Brando, Pacino,Duvall and Caan show why they are screen legends and Coppolla shows why despite making no great films since Apocalypse Now we still remember him today as one of the greatest directors ever. Expand
ShawnA.Apr 6, 2004
Brilliant.
DanielF.Jun 28, 2004
A power and grace that captures the viewer from the opening scene. It wonderfully captures a time and a place in the life of a "family." A can't miss whenever on.