9.0

1. Dec 28, 2011
    Like Babe Ruth is to baseball, like John Steinbeck is to writing, their is no doubt about it, The Godfather is the greatest film of all time. Never before have we seen performances so stellar, by Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, and everyone else! The Godfather has little life lessons everywhere. Along with an engaging plot, that just completes the most critically acclaimed film of all time. The Godfather is Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece. Expand
  2. Jan 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I cant understand when somebody says negative about this movie.To me,it's perfect,the best picture of all times.Idea,director,actors,music,composer,make up..everything is ideal!!! I'm lo vin it! Expand
  3. Jan 15, 2011
    If not the greatest movie ever made, than certainly the greatest gangster drama movie ever made. You have probably heard that bin said before, and well, it's quite true. Now, if your a critic, you pretty much have to like this movie, even if you didn't. I certainly did like it because, one, it gives great performaces, especially by the great Marlon Brando, and it has a tremendous screenplay that goes deep within its drama and plot points. Thrilling also,"The Godfather" is probably one of the best movies of the 20th century, and if you haven't already seen it, go get it and watch it. 10/10 [R] Expand
  4. Sep 10, 2011
    "The Godfather" is one of the few gangster films that connects the members of the Mafia as a family. The cinematography is rich and the music is perfect. However, I failed to see how Marlon Brando's performance was top notch. His acting was decent; he did not move much nor talk much. His voice also was barely understandable due to his croaking voice mumbling what sounded like English. Ultimately "The Godfather" still stands up as the best movie in the American crime genre. Expand
  5. Dec 27, 2011
    Like Babe Ruth is to baseball, like John Steinbeck is to writing, their is no doubt about it, The Godfather is the greatest film of all time. Never before have we seen performances so stellar, by Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, and everyone else! The Godfather has little life lessons everywhere. Along with an engaging plot, that just completes the most critically acclaimed film of all time. The Godfather is Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece. Collapse
  6. Jan 11, 2013
    This is the only movie I've ever watched that has put me to sleep. I imagine that the entire movie could have been put into about 1/8th the time and still have retained all of its meaning.
  7. Aug 13, 2011
    Great script writing can't make up for it's boring storyline and slow pacing.
  8. Oct 9, 2010
    This is certainly one of the greatest movies ever made. It's such amazingly well-acted, well-written movie with an epic story line that takes you through many themes like love, sadness, loyalty, revenge and betrayal is such an encompassing and totally believable way. I will never get tired of watching this masterpiece.
  9. Sep 8, 2010
    hell i dont even need to write a review for this movie everything was perfect! but since i need 150 charecters i will give tiny details this movie has great great acting the story is beutiful and everything else is amazing
  10. Mar 4, 2011
    I saw it on TV so it was a lot less violent. It is the definitive mafia movie, even if they were never allowed to say the word. The mafia would not have liked it.
  11. Jun 2, 2011
    An American classic, and one of the greatest film's ever made. Director Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece, based on Mario Puzo's bestselling novel starring Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall and Diane Keaton. The film chronicles a ten year span (1945 to 1955) in the life of the Italian-American Corleone crime family of New York City. Won the 1972 Academy Award for Best Picture, Best Actor (Brando) and Best Adapted Screenplay (Coppola and Puzo). Expand
  12. Jan 15, 2012
    A cinematic masterpiece. In the top 100 movies list for a reason. For those people (You know who you are and I'm not going to individually name you) who gave this movie a bad review, simply put you have no brain or very simple minded maybe brain dead moron movies like Freddy got Fingered or Dumb and Dumberer (yes the prequel to Dumb and Dumber because the first movie might be way to complicated for you) is better suited for you. This is why I hate forums like this because some idiots of the world need some face punching for their insulting stupidity. Expand
  13. Jul 18, 2011
    As epic as you can possibly get. Combined with Part II (I recommend watching back to back in one sitting), there is no way you can top the film-making here. Some of the most memorable characters and dialogue to ever hit the silver screen. Marlon Brando's career was gold even before this, but this applies him for sainthood. Robert Duvall and James Caan are fantastic and Al Pacino broods well among these great actors. Francis Ford Coppola created a masterpiece here (and then he did it again with Apocalypse Now). It's possible he owned the 70's. Expand
  14. Jan 29, 2012
    Its one of the greatest films of all time for a reason. The acting is amazing, The story telling is great. It has a few minor flaws (such as when Sunny beats up Connie's husband, that was a terrible fight scene). Yet all the minor flaws are completely forgetable because the movie is that good.
  15. Aug 20, 2012
    I watched it. Didn't like it. I found myself bored 30 minutes into the party scene at the start of the movie. Not as good as i thought it would be. I had a better time watching Goodfellas, The Departed, Scarface, Once Upon A Time In America. there good gangster movies. I just don't get why people love it so much.
  16. Jan 12, 2013
    The best movie in Metacritic really is a great movie. Francis Ford Coppola made and aced a great film which is better than his sequels. Really well thought and made into a top hit Mafia-detective movie. One of Ford's best movies.
  17. Feb 27, 2013
    I find some negative reviews to be pointless either yammering on about how "long" the movie was, slow is another one (though many of these reviewers being kids and not quite used to the expository routines of late 60's drama) and committing the reviewers sin of comparing it to other hyper-spastic (almost cartoonish) crime dramas like Scarface and Pulp Fiction though exceptional in their own right. There is a quality of this film that tributes a long forgotten style of story telling within subtlety; the end result a beautifully woven opera of deceit, betrayal, loss and violence. It is and will always be a film that reaches the highest levels of fiction, wherein the film is preformed....and not spoon-fed to the audience. heaven forbid you'd have to do some actual thinking in order to complete a relatively easy 3 hours of story telling. Expand
  18. May 4, 2013
    The Godfather trilogy (and I'm one of the few who rates III up there with I and II) finds a wonderful balance between a well-paced story and some terrific crisis moments for its characters. For those who may be concerned about whether or not they will enjoy it, I'd suggest watching The Godfather (Part I) while keeping in mind that this is a story about Michael wanting to go straight, to be good. To society and to his family. Expand
  19. Aug 15, 2013
    Que obra maestra. De lo mejor que ha visto el cine en su historia. Una excelente dirección, guión, historia. Todo, absolutamente todo. Algo realmente impresionante.
  20. Aug 22, 2010
    this is a great film . its basically the story of the old generation of the mob being taking over by the new younger generation. great performances are done by all . the story telling is pretty well done all be it there are some slow downs where things seem they drag on abit to long and gets alittle dull. for the most part though its a entertaining story that will be wached for years to come .
  21. Nov 25, 2011
    The Godfather is, what I think, a vastly overrated movie. However it does have its strength, and upon a second viewing I was able to enjoy it. But it's its sequel that's the true masterpiece.
  22. Jul 3, 2011
    The Godfather is the first in a trilogy of gangster movies. This movie practically made gangster movies popular. The Godfather is a great, artistic, famous gangster movie.
  23. Aug 26, 2010
    Oh! I was there was a rating scale of more than 10 on Metacritic!
    The Godfather/Il Padrino...Best Movie Ever Made...No wonder it's on top!
    101 from my side if I was to score like a critic instead a user!!!!!
  24. Dec 19, 2010
    The best movie ever! Perfect everything perfect charachters, story, and score! Its amazing and fun to watch! The charachter developmnt is great and so is everything else!!! The best movie ever!!
  25. May 31, 2011
    The script by Coppola and the novel's author, Mario Puzo, opens at the wedding of the Godfather's daughter. This richly textured montage immediately sets the tone for the entire story. The Corleone family represents the ideal American family -- loyal and loving. All families have flaws, and theirs has to do with the family business. Everyone in the family, except the young college kid and war hero Michael (Al Pacino), is involved in the family's illegal business. Murder being the price of entry in their trade, the Corleone clan has long since been desensitized to violence by the requirements of their jobs. Only Michael appears untouched by the evil around him. Michael tells a frightening family story to his future wife, Kay Adams (Diane Keaton), but distances himself from it. "That's my family, Kay," he assures her. "It's not me." Anna Hill Johnstone's costumes for Michael almost always include preppie ties to reinforce his putative innocence. Expand
  26. Apr 9, 2011
    Fantastic film, although rather overrated. The characters are almost perfect, the story is almost perfect, and the dialogue is almost perfect. Everything else is just good. No more, no less.
  27. Oct 19, 2010
    The Godfather is a classic because it is a damn great movie. You can argue forever about issues of it glorifying the Mafia etc. but what it does do is glorify the concept of family. A great cast led by Marlon Brando, James Caan, Robert Duvall and Al Pacino, it boasts an incredible soundtrack as well. Slow and not very action packed, it may not appeal too well to most modern audiences today but this should stand as one of the greatest films of all time. Expand
  28. Oct 17, 2010
    The Godfather turned out to be my favorite movie of all time. Before this movie I didn't like long 2:30 plus movies but after I watched it I had a whole new view of films. This is a near perfect movie for real.
  29. Dec 19, 2010
    I think anyone that says anything bad about The Godfather is saying it for the sake of being different from everyone else. It's a great movie, it has a great storyline and it's characters are universally regarded as some of the best in cinematic history. The actors in it, especially Pacino and Brando, are amazing in their roles as Michael and Vito but they're not the only stars of the show as Cazale and Caan shine as Fredo and Sonny. Expand
  30. Nov 26, 2011
    There is a reason why its considered one of the greatest films of all time. The Godfather is as near perfect as perfect can be and its great from start to finish.
  31. May 3, 2011
    This is the definition of a masterpiece in cinema. If ill concieved by any one person then that person is actually ill to the point of "dead man walking". The best actor of all time (Marlo Brando), gives the best performance in movie history here as Don Corleone. Stick Marlon Brando, and Al Pacino to a project of such magnitude together and you have yourself a film! PERFECTION!!
  32. Mar 27, 2012
    I've never before been bored by a slow-moving film. Ever so much more weight is put on the horse-head scene than it supports. A husband-wife fight is phoney, weak, amateur and isn't even peanuts compared to any such scene by Scorsese. A curly-haired guy beats a guy up and it looks as fake as the fakest action I've ever seen; it was so bad it was hysterical. As in the faintly superior sequel, Robert Duvall's role consists almost entirely of standing around looking mildly concerned. Early scenes with Brando are effective enough, but not a whole lot else is. That curly-haired guy gets shot by a whole buncha guys later on and some friends asked me if I understood how and why the ambush happened as though I could possibly care why it happened or who he was. I heard one person complain that the film 'insists on itself', but it seemed to me more like it didn't even care it existed. At the moment, this movie has nearly five hundred and fifty thousand votes on I.M.D.B., but 'Goodfellas' has only three hundred and twenty-five thousand and 'Casino' barely over a hundred and fifty thousand. Sad. But Francis Ford went on to make an infinitely better film only seven years later, and his daughter an unutterably better one three decades later, and so the Family thrives. Expand
  33. Jan 28, 2011
    An excellent adapted script, an unforgettable ensemble, an amazing score, excellent quotes, and unforgettable moments, The Godfather is nothing short of a masterpiece!
  34. May 3, 2011
    A piece of cinema that will live on until the world is burnt up by the sun, if it will be for the fantastic story, rich characters, great performances, gritty mafia realism or just the fact that it is a catchphrase goldmine. One thing is sure, this will live on in history as one of the best cinema pieces ever.
  35. Feb 23, 2011
    Great movie, go watch it. I'm tired of the bickering classics like this get today that apparently don't "stand the test of time". what is this test of time? is it color, better sound quality, special effects? Hopefully people will realize one day that these things add to a movie. A beautiful story like this is still great today and unlike special effect junkie movies such as G.I Joe, Transformers, ext... this movie will still be great in another 30 years from now. Expand
  36. May 16, 2011
    The most underated movie ever. It deserves well beyond 100 out of 100. All of the people that gave it bellow 80 are either mentally disabled or can't tell the difference between a good and bad movie.
  37. Feb 20, 2011
    The movie started off with Marlyn listening calmly to the person explaining him every excruciating detail of the tragedy his life had to suffer, the scene won the place in ma mind with that very cool and calm scene with no other movie starting off that way it had a special beginning, next came Al Pacino the way he explained how he would end both the commissioner and the drug lord to James Caan was thrilling than ever! However the best part of the movie was wen Pacino shoots them and calmly walks out out the restaurant. The detailing of the part, the scene, the role was LEGENDARY!!!!! Marlyn played his role to his best and it was no less than STEAK SAUCE!!! None the less Diane Keaton was heartbreakingly awesome with her role in the movie no one else could have done that better. Over all the movie was awesome with a full rating of 9.0 znd a MUST WATCH tag. Im looking forward to be a movie critic hope you all would help me :)
    thank you.
  38. Mar 8, 2011
    Some people wonder why this film is considered a classic. If you seriously can't get that from the moment Nino Rota's unbelievable main theme starts playing and from one look at Marlon Brandon's face half obscured by shadow then you obviously never will understand what "classic" really means.
  39. Mar 21, 2011
    Wonderful film, wonderful direction, marvelous cast, record-breaking performance from Marlon Brando, Al Pacino and Robert Duvall. Great Direction of Francis Ford Coppola, loved the opening scene, and the five-heads-of-mafia-families' round-table meeting.
  40. Apr 1, 2011
    Truly one of Hollywood's greatest achievements. It may take a few viewings to fully grasp the film. I certainly didn't care for it on my first viewing. But it will gradually pull you in with each viewing. 4-star Classic!
  41. Apr 19, 2011
    phenomenal. obviously one of the best movies ever made. great acting, great music, great screenplay, great directing. i cant express my excitement with just words
  42. May 25, 2012
    I must say, this is one of the best films of all time. There is nothing wrong with it. The plot is fantastic, the characters are very flowing. Al Pacino's performance is outstanding, there's nothing I can say to him. One of the best masterpieces of Francis Ford Coppola.....
  43. May 7, 2011
    This is probably the greatest movie of all time, it involves the pillars of storytelling. Love, Family, Conspiracy,Triumph!!! All of these elements are weaved flawlessly through the telling of the Corleone Family. There is no better movie out there that can compare because most NOT all cannot combine these elements because the story is to shallow. This movie is why I love to watch movies of all genres, it is the measuring stick to all films. Expand
  44. May 10, 2011
    In my opinion the best movie of all times. Everyone who wants to learn cinema should watch it at least once a year (so I try). Some films are "must seen" but this one is THE must seen.

To MikeC. well, I am sure global warming is fake, but still give it a 10... and never watch Fox News.... anyways it is true that if someone votes this film with 0... well maybe he shouldn't be considered human....
  45. Jun 4, 2011
    This movie takes more than 1 viewings to really love it. When I first watched it I felt for the characters, but by the end I was like "That's it? Where's the big payoff?" Then I watched it 2 more times and found the genius of this movie. This is a required viewing for anyone.
  46. Jun 17, 2011
    I will list every way in which The Godfather is not perfect: the lighting in the car that takes Michael to the big meeting with Sollozzo is a slightly too red and artificial looking. The movie is perfect in every other way.
  47. Aug 25, 2011
    its certainly the greatest movie of all time. the character building,showing aspects of human nature, an emotionally satisfying story as well as providing entertainment for a 3 hour movie is phenomenal. It showcases the brilliance of Francis Ford Coppola in his early years of film making which sets the mood for the entirety of the film.
  48. Jun 28, 2011
    Between the people saying this movie sucked and the ones saying it was amazing I must inform you all this movie was both good and great. It was good in how amusing it was and how it made you feel watching it. It was great in how it changed films forever and how it was amazingly groundbreaking. The Godfather is widely regarded as the greatest movie of all time... but it IS not however regarded as the best movie. Expand
  49. j30
    Feb 13, 2012
    You hear all this hype surrounding The Godfather, such as "it's a masterpiece," and the movie is included in countless critics and moviegoers top 10 movies of all time. I'm afraid they're right. The movie is a masterpiece and a beautiful piece of art that surpasses most films I have ever seen. From a technical standpoint it's flawless.
  50. Nov 25, 2011
    Boring? Really? I'm twelve and I watched the whole thing in one sitting, not to mention it's my favorite movie. So, seriously, go watch some of Al Pacino's latest films if you don't like this. You'll probably love "Jack and Jill".
  51. Jan 9, 2012
    Qu'il est bon de voir et revoir ce chef-d'oeuvre qu'est incontestablement Le Parrain! Ce film qui surpasse tout long-métrage racontant des histoires mafieuses (Scarface, Donnie Brasco, Les Affranchis...) qui ont été réalisés jusqu'à ce jour. Il est sûr que le rythme de ce Parrain est plutôt lent (sans compter sa durée de 2h58), mais c'est justement cela qui fait son charme : pendant 3h, on se préoccupe bien plus du destin d'une famille de la mafia plutôt que de ses agissements violents et inégaux. Ainsi, les protagonistes sont travaillés, écrits et interprétés à la perfection! Mais Le Parrain peut également compter sur sa bande son et sa mise en scène (jeux de lumière, photographie, décors, costumes, maquillages...) qui le rendent authentique et envoûtant de bout en bout. Un véritable pilier du cinéma! Expand
  52. Aug 31, 2011
    this is a brilliant classic mob movie, that everyone should have definitely watched before they die. most people will love this movie. a well deserved 10 out of 10.
  53. Aug 31, 2011
    The greatest gane if all time nothing can compare to this movies greatness. Creating the perfect anti-hero, The Godfather is a movie like no other.
  54. Sep 7, 2011
    What a movie! Francis Ford Coppola's epic thriller â
  55. Sep 15, 2011
    "The Godfather" is one of the few cinema classics that deserves every bit of the word it's always labeled with, masterpiece. One of the greatest films ever made, only to be surpassed later by its sequel.
  56. Apr 4, 2013
    It's easy to see why this is the highest rated film. The acting is on another level, the directing is not only gripping and atmospheric but it doesn't cut from one thing to another. Everything that's important is shown, all the dialogue, all the detail. The story is obviously what makes this film so great. Although not an action movie, some of the scenes make the typical modern Hollywood blockbuster look laughable. The film is not only well-directed and clever, but also easy to follow. The story isn't over-complicated with a bundle of events which have no connection. The only reason I'm not giving it a 10 is because it's over 3 hours, and for a film that long you'd expect more to happen. The film can be cut down by about half an hour without losing any narrative or quality. Expand
  57. Sep 22, 2011
    Pacino?, Brando?, Duvall? What else can you ask for. An absolute classic, arguably the best film to hit the screen in the last few decades.. if i had a list of 100 best films it would be 2nd. just behind The Godfather II which i would say is just slightly better with De Niro's portrayal as the young Vito Corleone.
  58. Oct 18, 2011
    A terrific movie showing the life of olden time mobsters and what they encountered. But I warn you don't watch it if you are under the age of 10. A great film i love it I really think it might be the best movie I've ever seen and I think every human being (above the age of 10) should watch it.
  59. Dec 6, 2011
    To simply put it, The Godfather is an film that is honed to prefection. It is so good that I no longer have words to describe how amazing the film is. Pure greatness. The Godfather gets just about everything right in this compelling masterpiece that will be forever remembered and emulated, the godfather of modern films. I can see why this film is so big, so revolutionary, so influential. No other film stands a chance against this monster of a film. The acting is top-notch and the plot, the plot is amazing with a crime-epic tale that will always be remembered, immortalized forever. Al Pacino and Marlon Brando give stellar performances in their greatest movie ever. The amount of emotion in The Godfather is amazing too as the you clearly feel each character's emotion and are drawn into it. The moments staying forever in your mind because it is so amazing. The Godfather reinvents the way I look at movies, my view of them has changed forever as I see how masterful this film is. It crushes every other film, no other film will ever come close to knocking The Godfather off its pedestal of greatness. Flaws, this sounds mundane but I cannot say it any other way, there are like ZERO flaws in the film. I scrutinized but could not find any at all. The good aspects deeply mask the film's bad aspects so a perfect movie has been created in a sense, that is amazing. I have not given a movie a perfect 10 out of 10, I have not seen a movie worthy of the all-time high but that changes with The Godfather and it is well deserved. Overall, The Godfather is a flat-out amazing film that will always be beast and smoke every other movie out there, this film will be a film that everyone will mention when asked "what do you think are the greatest movies of all time?". The Godfather is pure perfection of films honed to the highest aspects. This is not a great movie, this is a revolutionary film, I love it. Breakdown for "The Godfather": Presentation: 10, Plot: 10, Acting: 10, Script: 10, Lasting Appeal: 10, Verdict: 10 out of 10, "Masterpiece", the best movie I have ever seen. Expand
  60. Aug 7, 2013
    Films like The Godfather are the reason i have a lifelong passion and love for film. A combination of writing, acting, cinematography and a thoroughly engrossing plot have undoubtedly created one of the greatest pieces of cinema, point blank. A mixture of drama, thrill, crime and even comic value have been masterfully scripted into a film so full of suspense and charm that it undeniably crosses the mind of ever film fanatic or casual movie lover out there.
    Each and every scene of the film is carefully filmed to create a whole different world for the viewer to get involved in, these scenes are intense, personal, but most importantly, completely focused on who is onscreen, each character has their moment, and they each make their mark on this legendary film. Perhaps the man who left the biggest mark was Marlon Brando, who plays the titular character, an underworld crime family boss who we are introduced to as an over the shoulder view, he scratches his face with the back of his fingers, he rolls his eyes, strokes his cat and talks in a muffled tone, all through the brilliance of Brando, who used cotton wool to perfect the speech, and rolled with a cat running on set, something not scripted, but perfect for the character Brando created, the everlasting memory of Vito Corleone, a man that when he opens his mouth, a respectable silence falls upon the film, acting at its best. We are at his daughters wedding as the film opens, from this there is a message set for the film, family, a man who doesn't spend time wit his family can never be a man" says Vito, one of the many quotes which made the film so memorable, but it also shows the true heart of the film, each of the sons this man has fathered look out for each other and all take part in the family 'business'.
    This business is told as a memorable reflection from Michael, played in perfectly calm but conflicted fashion by Al Pacino, who is the family member not quite sure what he wants, not part of the business, but suited for it. We are immediately thrust into the struggles of each crime family as they attempt to get stakes in a new market, something which Vito refuses to be a part of, put also something that almost costs him his life. With this, the eldest and hot-headed son steps forward, Sonny (James Caan) who ignores the wishes of the consigliere Tom (Robert Duvall) and seeks revenge on those who wronged his family.
    In the midst of all this there is a warming tone of a film, with some truly touching performances and some unforgettable turns as gangsters in 1940s New York. James Caan is well casted as the good-naturedbut short-tempered Sonny, who wants power, but also seems to want whats best for most of his family. But its Al Pacino and Marlon Brando who excel the film to remarkable achievements, Brando creates a character that simply couldn't be replicated or remade, and Pacino plays a conflicted but right-minded youngest brother, he gets what he wants and Pacino shows excellence in his eyes and confident speaking.
    A true journey of emotion, heartache, acceptance and love, the film explores all areas of what it means to be true to oneself, but also to forgive and forget, this is a truly remarkable feat and a masterful film that has given us some of the most memorable characters we have ever known, but also set a standard in the film industry as a force to be reckoned with, even as the years since its release tick on.
  61. Nov 28, 2011
    The Godfather is one of the greatest films of all time, no doubt. It is fueled by one of the greatest acting casts of all time, including Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, and Robert Duvall. If you don't like it because of it's violence, please be selfless and don't rate it. The Godfather is a story about the mafia and it's corruption on society.
  62. Nov 29, 2011
    This movie is easily one of the greatest ,if not the greatest, movies of all time. From start to finish, The Godfather is as perfect as perfect can get.
  63. Jun 23, 2014
    I'd never seen the Godfather prior to this weekend. A friend of mine asked how I can consider myself a movie reviewer, when I haven't even seen the film that is widely considered to be the best of all-time. He had a point, so I decided to rent it and my verdict is it. While the Godfather is a tremendous epic drama, I really don't see how it is considered to be the best film ever made. It's a great story, with a superstar cast, which set the genre for all the mafia films that followed, but that in and of itself means the film is going to have problems. As with other mafia films, it's difficult to keep track of who's who in the large cast. It also moves rather quickly and viewers like myself are going to have a very difficult time of trying to follow the erratic timeline of the film. Some parts move at a snails pace, while other just fly by, and what is with the music? The soundtrack is almost as acclaimed as the film, but honestly if I had to hear that song one more time, during this three hour epic, I may have gone out and killed someone myself. For those unfamiliar with the story, it follows the evolution of the Corleone family, as they transition from one leader to the next. The story is fantastic and is the furthest thing from predictable that you will ever find. It is filed with classic scenes and renowned performance from Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, but I really have a hard time calling such a complicated story with that much violence, the best of all-time. The Godfather is a terrific movie, and I'm glad that I finally got to see it, but in a word, the film is overrated. Expand
  64. Jan 26, 2012
    Listen up naysayers. Yeah. It does deserve a perfect score. Family. This film gives new definition to the word. The love that the Corleones have for each other in this film is so strong, yet it is also complicated. With a family business that is built upon a foundation of violence, the Corleones are destined for tragedy. Starring Marlon Brando as the Don, and Al Pacino as his son, Michael, this film is the unquestionable magnum opus of Francis Ford Coppola. This is the premier mafia motion picture. Expand
  65. Feb 1, 2014
    Cold, calculative and distant; The Godfather's deliberate pacing, restrained acting and unemotional cinematography make it much more than a great gangster-crime drama - It's a fascinating study of the human psyche. Perhaps, the only dramatic aspect in this movie, at least in the conventional sense is Nino Rota's haunting score.
  66. Feb 24, 2012
    Whenever I asked if this was a good film or not, I either heard it was extremely good or "I haven't seen it but yeah, it's good'. And when I finally found the time to sit through it, I couldn't believe what I had been missing. This is the greatest crime film I've have ever seen. Everything from the directing and acting to the soundtrack and, even thought its over two hours, the pacing.
  67. Mar 10, 2012
    it gave me wood...................
  68. Apr 20, 2013
    I'm one of those few people who watched The Godfather very late. Nevertheless, it had an impact on me like it did on many others. I loved and cherished every moment of this film. its beautifully written, directed and acted. It's one of those few All-Rounded Movies, thus it comes as no surprise that its beloved by many.
  69. Mar 18, 2012
    The Godfather is the reason that we watch movies to this vey day. It really defined a film as not just entertainment but an art form. One that is to be respected and admired and everything about this film is incredible. Especially Brando's performance as Vito Corleone. Pure art.
  70. Aug 27, 2014
    When it comes to The Godfather, there is no matching it. No mafioso gangster film will ever be able to surpass it. It's devastating action and complex family moments are intricately designed. A classic and an unparalleled ensemble.
  71. Mar 19, 2012
    no one is arguing this is a bad movie you would have to be an idiot to argue that but one can defiantly argue it is an overrated movie. A wonderful movie probably in the top 20 movies of all time but to be honest i liked part II better even thought it was longer it was more interesting. there are many scenes in this movie that it wcould have done without and the whole love interest in Sicily was just unnecessary, uninteresting,and unrealistic. Expand
  72. Aug 11, 2014
    That's a movie to always remember. It becomes alive every time you watch it. The story is a diamond necklace. And with the finest actors it becomes the finest movie of all time. I really feel ashamed not to give it a 10. It's the greatest in my opinion.
  73. Mar 25, 2013
    Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece based on the Mario Puzo novel, The Godfather is considered by many to be one of the greatest films of all time, and for good reasons. Every aspect of the film is virtually perfect. The story is epic and compelling, containing iconic scenes and excellent dialogue. The characters are as engaging as they are memorable, and are brilliantly played by an excellent cast, with Marlon Brando and Al Pacino being the definite standouts. "Beautiful" does not even begin to describe the famous musical score of the film. The Godfather is my #1 favorite film of all time and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so too. A benchmark in film history, this easily is one film you can't refuse. Expand
  74. Dec 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have had this movie for many months but i never got time to watch it.
    Yesterday i did and i think ,like everybody say ,it is one of the best movies made ever.
    Al Pacino who was not very popular at that time make his breakthrough performance and he is just great in the role of Michael Corleone.
    About the legend Marlon Brando,he is just phenomenal,his facial expressions and husky voice just make his role one of the best characters.
    It is based on Mario Puzo's novel about five fictional mafia families and Must say he did a great job on screenplay too.
    There are some great as well as shocking scenes in this movie i.e.
    When Woltz wake up and finds a real severed head of a horse.
    Sonny beats up his brother-in-law Carlo.
    Prolonged fight between Connie and Carlo.
    Death of Apollonia Vitelli-Corleone.
    Death scene of Sonny ambushed by gang members at toll.
    The killings of all the other heads of Mafia families,Moe Green,Tesiso and Carlo.
    I loved the setting and style.
    James Caan,Richard S. Castellano,Robert Duvall,Diane Keaton & Talia Shire did great jobs too.
    Despite the many Anachronisms,this movie is just marvellous.
    I have read everything that Coppola dis to make this movie so outstanding.
    Maybe the best gangster movie ever made.
    Thanks Paramount,Francis Ford Coppola and every Cast-crew member related for producing this chef-d'oeuvre.
  75. Feb 10, 2013
    Absolutely an amazing film. With spectacular acting by a marvelous cast and amazing filming by Coppola. The use of shadows in this film in itself is a visual spectacle. This film shows an amazing glimpse into the life of the early 20th century mafia. A true classic that everyone should watch.
  76. Apr 19, 2013
    How somebody could not give this a 10/10 is beyond me. This is easily one of the best movies I have ever seen. Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, and everybody else were fantastic in their roles and Francis Ford Coppola outdid himself here.
  77. Jul 18, 2012
    Perfect in all the departments 'The Godfather' is a masterpiece by Cappola. Fulfills, in fact sets, a new definition for an all time classic. If you are a true movie lover, you'll adore 'The Godfather'.
  78. Aug 4, 2012
    You know how when a friend is telling you a personal anecdote that he thinks is hilarious, but you don't find very funny, he'll say "you had to have been there." That's kind of how I feel about The Godfather. By the time I watched this movie I'd seen so many impersonations of Don Corleone and parodies that it all felt almost comical. Putting all that aside (if that's even possible), I still didn't enjoy this movie. I found myself checking how much more I had to sit through multiple times. And having seen what Al Pacino is capable of, he seems very wooden in this. My conclusion is that if you managed to see this movie before pop culture appropriated it and fed you their versions, then you'll likely love it. If like me you weren't around in the 70's, you might not get that much from it. In other words, you had to have been there. Expand
  79. Jun 19, 2013
    1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time, It's My Favorite Crime Film, My Favorite Francis Ford Coppola Film And My Favorite Paramount Pictures Film, It Has Been Considered To Be One Of The Greatest Films Ever Made.
  80. Nov 23, 2012
    The critic score says it all. It is either you love this movie, or you didn't understand it. see this
  81. Dec 23, 2012
    This is a punchy, brutal and gripping tale of family values and business that offers an unrivaled insight into the world of the mafia. All the talk of honour sends a shiver down your spine, at the seriousness and intimacy of the bond between a man and his godfather. Armed with a great cast, and beautifully written script you cant go wrong with a film like this. A true classic
  82. Oct 15, 2012
    I forget The Godfather is in my list of masterpiece Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). The Silence of the Lambs (1991) . 12 Angry Men (1957). To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) . Scarface (1983). Seven (1995) .
  83. Oct 16, 2012
    Best movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupid ,Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are absolutely perfect ,they both got Oscar nominations out of it, for God sake! Expand
  84. Nov 15, 2012
    The best film I have ever seen. May get a fair amount of criticism nowadays but to think that this film was made 40 years ago, that's pretty incredible!
  85. Dec 9, 2012
    Excellent movie! The Godfather is the perfection. Excellent plot and everything else. A must-watch masterpiece. That's the only 9 which I gave (games included).
  86. Nov 28, 2012
    A ceaselessly compelling and undeniably perfect film with unforgettable iconography and legendary performances everywhere. Classic.
  87. Mar 6, 2014
    Inspired by the Five Families of New York City, The Godfather tells the story of how the Corleones are pushed against the wall by their rivals and other upcoming gangsters who want to make money by sources Don Vito deems beneath him, and their retaliation and its consequences. Alliances are formed in secret, murders are plotted, enemies are butchered or blown to pieces without remorse.

Don Vito (Marlon Brando) and his sons Sonny (James Caan) and Michael (Al Pacino) are the main characters. The actors bringing them to life have succeeded in their jobs so supremely that these characters have become the stuff of legend. Don Vito's backstory from the novel was pushed into The Godfather Part II, and that was a practical decision as the movie was already three hours long. Sonny and Michael display their acumen for running criminal activities when the reins are handed to them in their turn. Tom Hagen (Robert Duvall) is the consigliere, or the most trusted adviser, of the Don.

We are transported from 1940s NYC ripe with Mafia bosses one-upping each other, to Sicily and Las Vegas. The characters are never shown to traverse great expanses of land or sea in search of destiny or whatever. Neither are they shown to be engaging in life-or-death situations where they have to come out on top using their wits or physical strength or endurance. But the change of settings does meet the requirements of the epic genre. Even though we don't get to see large scale gunfights or something like that, the fact that the Corleones are in all these places helps to form that opinion. The story is essentially about a single family, and you get the impression that the message here is that family is important, and that the lengths you're willing to go to to protect them knows no bounds.

The Corleones' peace is fazed when a gangster offers them a deal in drugs. Don Vito expresses his disgust and refuses. This triggers an unexpected ploy for gaining power and upper hand and turns the conflict into a fully fledged gang war. Some characters are displaced, forced to take up arms, or caught in the crossfire. Another calamity strikes when things seem to have cooled down. Finally, the Corleones deal with their enemies effectively and ruthlessly. The victory is theirs, but if it is worth it is for the audience to decide.

The Godfather's success lies in its rich story and characters. Often times, great stories come about by accident. The setting complements the plot and the characters, and becoming a character itself, creates a blend that is greater than the sum of its parts. These characters and plot could quite easily have worked in a medieval setting of dynasties warring for control over a kingdom, or any other setting for that matter, but the fact that the setting was New York City and the control over the city meant control over the most lucrative criminal activities, which is a decadent scheme, and immediately paints even the good guys in a bad light, was what in my opinion made The Godfather much more intriguing and enduring.

There are many enemies to deal with. The film doesn't develop them at all. The Corleones are the only ones who are explored and developed as characters. At first it seems like it is a story of a group of people who have virtually everything they could ever want and the film would only chronicle their exploits as they vanquish this enemy and that. This changes as we move forward and witness the bloodshed.

No good movie can come into being without good plotting, believable characterization, classy cinematography and memorable dialogue, and here it is all brought together nigh perfectly. The production design was impressive. The houses and their interiors, and the cars and costumes were fascinating and left me with a desire to be able to witness that world firsthand. The secondary characters may not have seemed to be given much screen time to develop them but the cast is so huge that if they had done it the movie would have been at least an hour longer. The score is so simple and true to the story that you don't need me to tell you that it may be the most memorable score ever.

A lot of time is spent in contemplation and silence, as the characters decide what the best course of action should be in response to a particular problem. The dialogue fleshes out the characters very well. The Godfather is essentially a film that looks into the lives of the gangsters at the top of the hierarchy. We only see the comings and goings, and not the handiwork, of the men who carry out the orders of their bosses. No shootouts during the gang war are shown. The intrigue that directly affects the main characters is in itself so destructive and deadly that not once the exclusion of the ordinary mobsters bother me in any way.

The Godfather cannot be dismissed as being merely about a mob family and a bunch of criminals. Given his later career, I think it's safe to venture that Coppola was born to make this movie.
  88. Mar 9, 2013
    One of the best ever, strong at every level whether its from directing to any pinch of make-up it suceeds.
  89. Jan 27, 2013
    The Godfather requires a level of maturity to completely understand the story. It's not for everyone but once you realize it's to your taste you will get pulled in the story and 3 hours will go by unnoticed. Having said that, it's not an action film, it's a drama. So if you disliked it because it didn't excite you, you clearly went to the wrong movie. A masterpiece, deserves it's 10/10 score for producing a brilliant, memorable mob drama! Expand
  90. Jan 18, 2014
    Everybody knows how good The Godfather is meant to be, and while the 100% may not be fully justified it is definitely a work of surpassing excellence. Francis Ford Coppola perfectly chronicles the late life of Don Vito Corleone also known as The Godfather. Simply witnessing all of the hugely famous scenes and impeccably written lines is an enjoyable experience. Yes it goes on for 3 hours but sitting through the whole thing is undeniably worth it. Some scenes are much more gripping than others, basically Marlon Brando's screen time is the best thing about it. However every second is interesting and almost deserves the 100%, I found it to be masterfully acted and with some brilliant direction, but the most impressive aspect of The Godfather is undoubtedly how engaging every second is despite going on for 180 minutes. I would say it's worth watching but it's cult status ensures you were going to anyway. Expand
  91. Jan 18, 2013
    This is the closest thing one can get to achieving perfection. This movie showed that you don't need consistent foul language or gruesome violence to make a movie. While there is some violence in it, this movie was nothing like some other mob movies out there (Scarface comes to mind). This movie presented a shadier side of the American world in a classy, interesting way. I could go on for an hour about why this movie is so perfect but I think it can speak for itself. If you haven't seen this movie yet, I would highly recommend doing so. Expand
  92. Oct 28, 2013
    It's hard to find a moment in the film that isn't great. The Godfather lives up to the term masterpiece. The greatest gangster film ever made. Coppola offers a rich and layered look at family and does so with an incredible cast and a meticulous amount of detail. My FAVORITE MOVIE EVER MADE.
  93. Feb 17, 2013
    Um filme tão denso que você pode passar anos e anos assistindo e ainda se surpreender com as camadas da história. Muito mais que uma aula de cinema: Uma verdadeira lição de Vida.
  94. Mar 13, 2013
    The Godfather is a masterpiece. With superb storytelling and incredible acting, this film is not only the greatest crime film ever created but possibly the greatest film ever!!!
  95. Apr 14, 2013
    If you ask me: "what is the best movie of all time?". I will say: "It is NOT The Godfather". Yes, a lot of people around us say it is the best movie they have ever seen. But most of them literally know that they know and undersand few about this movie and they are repeating what others say!!!
  96. Sep 15, 2013
    The perfect film. There's not a better overall film out there. Not Citizen Kane, not 2001, not Casablanca and not Raging Bull. This film is a work of art and it's sequel is the greatest sequel of all-time(sorry Empire Strikes Back). The Godfather is a masterpiece.
  97. Apr 15, 2013
    Simply the best movie of all time, I know it sounds cliche, sorry to disappoint but the harsh truth Movie more closer to perfection doesn't exist.
  98. Apr 22, 2013
    This movie surprise me on its level of greatness, i'm 17 years old and I never did watch any classics movies before but when I watch Godfather, I was like "what an epic movie this is", its surprisingly awesome movie for 1972 and even better than most movies release today in the 21st century. Godfather is like the God of gangsters movie.
  99. May 19, 2013
    Violent, well scripted and large, this classic American recounts a dark period in the history of america so perfect and convincing with perfect performances from all his cast this movie will likely be immortal.

1. Just about as great as a movie's ever gonna be... As for the storytellng, The Godfather is an intricately constructed gem that simultaneously kicks ass.
    The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion... It was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual.
    The wedding sequence... is a virtuoso stretch of filmmaking: Coppola brings his large cast onstage so artfully that we are drawn at once into the Godfather's world.