9.0

1. Jul 24, 2014
    Review Date: July 24, 2014. Movie Review #1: The Godfather

If I ever get a job offer to write Movie Reviews and get paid for it, it is an offer I can't refuse. This movie is often quotable to those that have seen it and it is no surprise that this film affected pop culture to a certain degree. There was a time where it got a lot of dough and was a hit which in turn became the highest
    grossing motion picture at a time back in the 1970's when The Godfather succeeded in the box office. Times have changed and this film is no longer the highest grossing motion picture but still to this day, it still remains as a remarkable film. Is there anything that has not been said about The Godfather? Probably not, but that is not going to stop me from sharing my thoughts regarding Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece.

The Godfather is a tale of a New York Mafia family and their struggle to protect their empire from rival families as the leadership switches from the father to his youngest son which carries a heavy weight.

This film often gets praised for its acting and that's no surprise there. Even though The Godfather ended up as a trilogy, Most of the cast may have left a huge impression in the second Godfather film but the first movie still has terrific acting throughout the entire film. Marlon Brando's performance as Don Corelone is very likely and arguably his best role in his film career. Even though the late Marlon Brando was a well-respected actor before and since The Godfather, He was not the only reason that The Godfather is a great film. The casting is a rather interesting one since it contains actors that either have been around for a number of years or actors that are quite new but had a couple roles. James Caan plays a hot-tempered Sonny, Robert Duvall has a great voice of reason in playing Tom Hagen, Diane Keaton plays her supporting role quite fittingly as Kay Adams, and Al Pacino's performance really makes Michael Corleone an intriguing character in the film and that carries on in the later films. The entire performance of every cast member feels natural even if there were a number of takes shot in the movie. Some may say that this movie has some of the greatest acting in the history of cinema, but I think that would be a bit of a stretch to make that claim. The entire cast makes all the characters believable and realistic in their portrayal. The Godfather might not be the most realistic portrayal of the Mafia, but it is certainly the most romanticized Mafia movie. However there are some realistic moments which is the brutality that The Godfather portrays, and Khartoum was the first example of this film's brutality. I also don't think that the brutality is a way of glorifying violence in the film, it is first and foremost a cinematic portrait of the Mafia, and it also serves as a thought provoking character study which carries on in the later films. It may be a romanticized portrait of the Mafia, and it may be a bit realistic in its brutal moments, but it doesn't feel out of place. Considering the film is set in the 1940's with the notion that it is a romaticized portrayal of the Mafia, there's a theme of moral ambiguity that allows the viewer to think and question about the character inside the movie, I find it strange that outside of the movie, it is possible that a viewer (and myself if I may add) finds the moral ambiguity fascinating in The Godfather. It carries on in the story that is told in the film.

One of the fitting touches is the music by Nino Rota and it's a bit predictable that it has that Italian sound but it is extremely fitting to the film. Like the film itself, Nino Rota's Film score to The Godfather is highly regarded as one of the greatest film scores in cinema, I can say it's hard not to like. It definitely has the Italian feeling and it compliments the movie perfectly. I should add an interesting additional note that Carmine Coppola (the father of Francis Ford Coppola) did compose some of the additional music I find this kind of interesting considering that the Father and Son relationship between Michael and Vito was intriguely written. If that isn't interesting enough, Francis Ford Coppola put his daughter Sofia in the movie too with a cameo appearance as a baby boy. Some members of the family may have been involved in this movie and even the later Godfather films, but family also plays a theme in The Godfather. Another nice element that gives the film its elegance is Gordon Willis' cinematography. The film is shot well, the movie looks like it is in the 1940's. The cars you will see in the movie were cars made in the 1940's and this movie was only made in 1972 so it wasn't too difficult to find vehicles like that. The design is fitting for this film because of its setting. Overall, The entire movie is shot extremely well. Even though this is an adaptation of Mario Puzo's novel of the same name published in 1969. Mario Puzo and Francis Ford Coppola did write the screenplay, and regardless if the movie faithfully follows the book from the first page to the last, Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo are contempt with the changes that are there from Book to Movie. Even though The Godfather is a considered one of the greatest movies ever made. I was very close in rating this film a 10 out of 10, but I noticed a couple hiccups in the film, even though they are small errors they are not influencing me to change my mind that I find The Godfather to be a terrific film, those who saw the movie at face value can unanimously agree that The Godfather is a great film. My philosophy of "The 10 rating" is that it is as great as it is ever going to get. They are not perfect because of a rating like that. There could be some mistakes, and some miniscule flaws that can be found but are excused. Even if that were the case, they don't ruin the movie whatsoever. There really is no such thing as a perfect movie. Francis Ford Coppola pulled the strings with the terrific acting, excellent cinematography, fitting music, believable characters, and an intriguing plot. It is not only one of Francis Ford Coppola's masterpieces, it is one of the masterpieces in cinema

This film gets my Thumbs Up, it's a 5-star film.

My overall rating of The Godfather is a 9.9 out of 10, it is an excellent film.
  2. chw
    Jul 18, 2014
    The Godfather is a really really good movie. Through the 175 minutes of The Godfather, there is never a part that is boring or doesn't make any sense.
  3. Jun 23, 2014
    I'd never seen the Godfather prior to this weekend. A friend of mine asked how I can consider myself a movie reviewer, when I haven't even seen the film that is widely considered to be the best of all-time. He had a point, so I decided to rent it and my verdict is it. While the Godfather is a tremendous epic drama, I really don't see how it is considered to be the best film ever made. It's a great story, with a superstar cast, which set the genre for all the mafia films that followed, but that in and of itself means the film is going to have problems. As with other mafia films, it's difficult to keep track of who's who in the large cast. It also moves rather quickly and viewers like myself are going to have a very difficult time of trying to follow the erratic timeline of the film. Some parts move at a snails pace, while other just fly by, and what is with the music? The soundtrack is almost as acclaimed as the film, but honestly if I had to hear that song one more time, during this three hour epic, I may have gone out and killed someone myself. For those unfamiliar with the story, it follows the evolution of the Corleone family, as they transition from one leader to the next. The story is fantastic and is the furthest thing from predictable that you will ever find. It is filed with classic scenes and renowned performance from Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, but I really have a hard time calling such a complicated story with that much violence, the best of all-time. The Godfather is a terrific movie, and I'm glad that I finally got to see it, but in a word, the film is overrated. Expand
  4. Jun 19, 2014
    An absolute masterpiece. This adaptation of Mario Puzo's novel is perfectly directed and masterfully acted. A never-aging classic that proves that cinematography can be an art.
  5. May 20, 2014
    All though those three hours were a bit exhausting to me, I would still say that watching "The Godfather" was exiting and thrilling, and I would recommend it to everyone, just so everyone could see what the buzz over this film is all about.
  6. May 11, 2014
    Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather is widely considered One of the Greatest Films ever made and there's a reason for that. It's because of its stellar screenplay, the beauty with which Coppola was able to capture capture the slow and subtle corruption of Michael Corleone under particular circumstances and the beauty with which Al Pacino personified that with a tour de Force performance. It just doesn't get much better than this. Th Godfather breaks new boundaries and represents the gold standard in film making. Expand
  7. Apr 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is to damn overrated. This movie was so boring that it took me 13 attempts to watch it. I fell asleep every time I saw it and at last I wanted to complete this movie so badly that I slept and kept an alarm reminding me of watching the godfather. And then I finally completed watching this **** film and was disappointed like hell. The only good point of the movie was the acting and if I would've just watched it maybe I would've given it a 5 /10 but due to the high rating I gave this **** a 0. Expand
  8. Apr 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this movie over 5 years now. I've seen a lot of movies since that time and none of it will ever compare to this masterpiece. Al Pacino is the best gangster ever! It did changed my ideology. Just a few movies could do that and that is one of them! Expand
  9. Apr 16, 2014
    En su época esta película fue muy reveladora con el tema de pelis de Gangster, gran escenografia en retratando esos años 40, unas interpretaciones soberbias, la banda sonora, una historia muy cruda y a la vez maravillosa. Imprescindible.
  10. Apr 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Godfather Review
    by Al Carlson

The Godfather is a film considered by most to be one of the greatest ever made. From The American Film Institute to as voted by users on the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) it is consider to be one of the best. As a film that ranks as high as other masterpieces including Citizen Kane, Pulp Fiction and 12 Angry Men, The Godfather is an exceptional piece of cinema excellence that is flawless and is simply the pinnacle crime drama.
    The Godfather revolves around the Corleone’s, an Italian family with deep roots in the New York City mafia. The head of the Corleone’s is Don Vito Corleone, a man who takes care of his family and demands respect in return. His son Michael however, who just returned home from World War II, doesn’t want to become involved with the family business. The Sollozzo’s, a family of drug dealers, confront Don and request protection in exchange for profits from the Sollozzo’s drug sales. But Don declines the offer, for he is against selling narcotics. The rejected offer starts what turns into an all out mafia war between the two families with Michael diving deep into the mafia lifestyle.
    The characters are portrayed by a legendary all-star cast including Marlon Brando as Don, Al Pacino as his son Michael and James Caan as Don’s oldest son Sonny. The casting for this film has been considered by many to be the best casted film in history for their astonishing performances. All three main actors were nominated for an academy award, but only Marlon Brando won an Oscar for best actor in a leading role. It’s fascinating to watch how these characters change over the course of the movie, with one in particular changing drastically.
    Directer Francis Ford Coppola, being raised in an Italian-American family in New York, understood Italian culture exceptionally and made the film very authentically. Everything from the wedding dances to the cuisine to the terms used by the characters in Sicilian come from Coppola’s first-hand knowledge of Italian-American culture. Italian composer Nino Rota did an outstanding job making the soundtrack for the film, despite not getting the Oscar for best music (but he did win an Oscar for his work in the sequel, The Godfather: Part II). Virtually everyone recognizes that iconic trumpet solo once it starts playing. He also wrote the score for another great Italian film 8 1/2.
    This film should be immediately followed up by it’s sequel, The Godfather: Part II, which also won best picture. The series still holds the title of most best picture awards for a film series to this day. They’re both flawless crime dramas and have earned their titles as some of the best pieces of cinema ever. I will guarantee you won’t be able to see this film only once, as it gets better after continual viewings. There is really nothing more to add other than if you haven’t seen this movie yet, it’s about time you did. The Godfather is a movie you can’t refuse.
  11. Apr 1, 2014
    Masterfully done, and I am not just saying that. I watched the whole thing, and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen until the credits rolled. Summary, BEST MOVIE EVER.
  12. Mar 11, 2014
    The Godfather is unarguably the greatest film of all time. It dominates all its predecessors and its successors. Great acting performances also contribute to its magnificence.
  13. Mar 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. one of the greatest movies ever made... and also the best gangster film ever .. strong performance from the cast and good crew. excellent direction from ff coppala. Expand
  14. Mar 6, 2014
    The Godfather is the Coppola´s masterpiece, for many the best movie ever made. In my opinion the best movie ever made. The book writen by Mario Puzo is it self a masterpiece and the adapted screenplay is GREAT.
  15. Mar 6, 2014
    That's a movie to always remember. It becomes alive every time you watch it. The story is a diamond necklace. And with the finest actors becomes the finest movie of all time. I really feel ashamed not to give it a 10. It's the greatest in my opinion.
  16. Mar 6, 2014
    Inspired by the Five Families of New York City, The Godfather tells the story of how the Corleones are pushed against the wall by their rivals and other upcoming gangsters who want to make money by sources Don Vito deems beneath him, and their retaliation and its consequences. Alliances are formed in secret, murders are plotted, enemies are butchered or blown to pieces without remorse.

Don Vito (Marlon Brando) and his sons Sonny (James Caan) and Michael (Al Pacino) are the main characters. The actors bringing them to life have succeeded in their jobs so supremely that these characters have become the stuff of legend. Don Vito's backstory from the novel was pushed into The Godfather Part II, and that was a practical decision as the movie was already three hours long. Sonny and Michael display their acumen for running criminal activities when the reins are handed to them in their turn. Tom Hagen (Robert Duvall) is the consigliere, or the most trusted adviser, of the Don.

We are transported from 1940s NYC ripe with Mafia bosses one-upping each other, to Sicily and Las Vegas. The characters are never shown to traverse great expanses of land or sea in search of destiny or whatever. Neither are they shown to be engaging in life-or-death situations where they have to come out on top using their wits or physical strength or endurance. But the change of settings does meet the requirements of the epic genre. Even though we don't get to see large scale gunfights or something like that, the fact that the Corleones are in all these places helps to form that opinion. The story is essentially about a single family, and you get the impression that the message here is that family is important, and that the lengths you're willing to go to to protect them knows no bounds.

The Corleones' peace is fazed when a gangster offers them a deal in drugs. Don Vito expresses his disgust and refuses. This triggers an unexpected ploy for gaining power and upper hand and turns the conflict into a fully fledged gang war. Some characters are displaced, forced to take up arms, or caught in the crossfire. Another calamity strikes when things seem to have cooled down. Finally, the Corleones deal with their enemies effectively and ruthlessly. The victory is theirs, but if it is worth it is for the audience to decide.

The Godfather's success lies in its rich story and characters. Often times, great stories come about by accident. The setting complements the plot and the characters, and becoming a character itself, creates a blend that is greater than the sum of its parts. These characters and plot could quite easily have worked in a medieval setting of dynasties warring for control over a kingdom, or any other setting for that matter, but the fact that the setting was New York City and the control over the city meant control over the most lucrative criminal activities, which is a decadent scheme, and immediately paints even the good guys in a bad light, was what in my opinion made The Godfather much more intriguing and enduring.

There are many enemies to deal with. The film doesn't develop them at all. The Corleones are the only ones who are explored and developed as characters. At first it seems like it is a story of a group of people who have virtually everything they could ever want and the film would only chronicle their exploits as they vanquish this enemy and that. This changes as we move forward and witness the bloodshed.

No good movie can come into being without good plotting, believable characterization, classy cinematography and memorable dialogue, and here it is all brought together nigh perfectly. The production design was impressive. The houses and their interiors, and the cars and costumes were fascinating and left me with a desire to be able to witness that world firsthand. The secondary characters may not have seemed to be given much screen time to develop them but the cast is so huge that if they had done it the movie would have been at least an hour longer. The score is so simple and true to the story that you don't need me to tell you that it may be the most memorable score ever.

A lot of time is spent in contemplation and silence, as the characters decide what the best course of action should be in response to a particular problem. The dialogue fleshes out the characters very well. The Godfather is essentially a film that looks into the lives of the gangsters at the top of the hierarchy. We only see the comings and goings, and not the handiwork, of the men who carry out the orders of their bosses. No shootouts during the gang war are shown. The intrigue that directly affects the main characters is in itself so destructive and deadly that not once the exclusion of the ordinary mobsters bother me in any way.

The Godfather cannot be dismissed as being merely about a mob family and a bunch of criminals. Given his later career, I think it's safe to venture that Coppola was born to make this movie.
  17. Feb 14, 2014
    This film was amazing. With great and true honesty it was, however I do believe it might be overrated just a bit. I liked it. From start to finish the story line was enough to keep someone watching. Without a doubt one of the greatest films I've seen. But In my opinion overrated.
  18. Feb 1, 2014
    Cold, calculative and distant; The Godfather's deliberate pacing, restrained acting and unemotional cinematography make it much more than a great gangster-crime drama - It's a fascinating study of the human psyche. Perhaps, the only dramatic aspect in this movie, at least in the conventional sense is Nino Rota's haunting score.
  19. Jan 31, 2014
    One of the best movies of all-time. You need to watch this before you exit this earth. Every character on this film is a fit. A good balance of drama and thriller. It keeps you on the edge of your seat. A true classic.
  20. Jan 18, 2014
    Everybody knows how good The Godfather is meant to be, and while the 100% may not be fully justified it is definitely a work of surpassing excellence. Francis Ford Coppola perfectly chronicles the late life of Don Vito Corleone also known as The Godfather. Simply witnessing all of the hugely famous scenes and impeccably written lines is an enjoyable experience. Yes it goes on for 3 hours but sitting through the whole thing is undeniably worth it. Some scenes are much more gripping than others, basically Marlon Brando's screen time is the best thing about it. However every second is interesting and almost deserves the 100%, I found it to be masterfully acted and with some brilliant direction, but the most impressive aspect of The Godfather is undoubtedly how engaging every second is despite going on for 180 minutes. I would say it's worth watching but it's cult status ensures you were going to anyway. Expand
  21. Jan 6, 2014
    One masterpiece i dunno any cons for this movie
    Epic movie which shows you the America of 30's and the sins of the american dream
    One of the best mafia movies ever seen and the best from the trilogy
  22. Dec 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have had this movie for many months but i never got time to watch it.
    Yesterday i did and i think ,like everybody say ,it is one of the best movies made ever.
    Al Pacino who was not very popular at that time make his breakthrough performance and he is just great in the role of Michael Corleone.
    About the legend Marlon Brando,he is just phenomenal,his facial expressions and husky voice just make his role one of the best characters.
    It is based on Mario Puzo's novel about five fictional mafia families and Must say he did a great job on screenplay too.
    There are some great as well as shocking scenes in this movie i.e.
    When Woltz wake up and finds a real severed head of a horse.
    Sonny beats up his brother-in-law Carlo.
    Prolonged fight between Connie and Carlo.
    Death of Apollonia Vitelli-Corleone.
    Death scene of Sonny ambushed by gang members at toll.
    The killings of all the other heads of Mafia families,Moe Green,Tesiso and Carlo.
    I loved the setting and style.
    James Caan,Richard S. Castellano,Robert Duvall,Diane Keaton & Talia Shire did great jobs too.
    Despite the many Anachronisms,this movie is just marvellous.
    I have read everything that Coppola dis to make this movie so outstanding.
    Maybe the best gangster movie ever made.
    Thanks Paramount,Francis Ford Coppola and every Cast-crew member related for producing this chef-d'oeuvre.
  23. Dec 21, 2013
    Greatest movie of all time enough said... about 5 of the best actors of our life time all give oscar performances.. best acted film of all time and not to mention the best screenplay of all time.. love pacino in this but brando, caan, and duvall also give us oscar perfor.. does not get any better than this.. at least i havent seen it yet
  24. Dec 18, 2013
    I'm going to throw him an offer he cant refuse The greatest film of all time words simply cannot give what marlon brando and coppola did for this movie is just showing you that nothing is impossible
  25. Dec 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Godfather is simply the god of films, it was a privilege to watch the Oscar winning performance of Marlon Brando, who conquered the role Vito Corleone. The film was a different class and is filled with incredible plots that is delivered in a fantastic mafia way. I recommend it to everyone even if they aren't into the gangster style films, it was no doubt the greatest film ever made. Each character resonates with you and the brilliant anti-hero role of Michael Corleone was a true gift to watch, which Al Pacino does not get enough credit for and was a genius replacement for Vito his father who's character was very difficult to equal.
    The scene in the restaurant between Michael, Sollozzo and McCluskey was magnificent and couldn't have been done any better, the suspense was outstanding from the bit Michael came back with the gun to the part he left the table with bullets in both men.
    When talking about leading you into movies, the Godfather pulled you in straight away the acting from Brando was intriguingly flawless. The first scene straight away brought the character Vito Corleone to life! We were never sure what Vito would say or what Michael would do, or how Sonny would react, which made me fall in love with the movie. And of course a big hand to the director Francis Ford Coppola, who brought us a film of pure gold that bestows the control of power from one generation to the other and character development of Michael was something special, when his father was shot the change took you by storm and when Sonny died he looked past justice and finished what his father had started, it was displayed with no fault what so ever and t all in all could not have been any better. The film take's you down the road of the powerful family crime dynasty and will blow your mind.
    The Godfather, is an offer you can't refuse.
  26. Dec 12, 2013
    I would say The Godfather is very overrated. It has terribly tedious delivery, and is basically just three hours of guys in suits sitting at a table talking about business.
  27. Dec 9, 2013
    I'm not a writer or a critic so I can't really tell you why this movie is perfect... but I know it is because of how I feel every time I see it. I'm moved.
  28. Dec 2, 2013
    The Godfather is not only one the greatest film of all movies, It became a landmark achievement in the history of movie cinema, It's so riveting & powerful -Jonathan32042talks
    (First Review)
  29. Nov 29, 2013
    Yeah so I guess I have to be that guy who says that he doesn't like "the best movie of all-time" the godfather. I love crime type movies and I went into this movie expecting something great. Unfortunately, this films incredibly long film time and boredom made it feel like 6 hours. Godfather definitely has some great performances especially from Marlon Brando, but that doesn't help me from wanting to fall asleep within the first 45 minutes. Goodfellas is the much superior movie for me as that movie is well acted, based on a true story, and entertaining. Expand
  30. Nov 24, 2013
    A prime example of realism at its finest. The aesthetics of the film are quite possibly the greatest, and most accurate, in cinematic history. A brilliant film with a superb, all-star lineup.
  31. Nov 23, 2013
    this is absolutely one of the best movies i've ever saw in my hole life,it have brilliant actings and an outstanding script,it deserves more oscars than just 3 prizes.
  32. Nov 22, 2013
    A Legend.From here on the genre Gangster was born,no movie could ever match The Godfather.
    It is not one of the best,it in fact is the best .You just cannot ask for anything more in a movie!!
  33. Oct 28, 2013
    It's hard to find a moment in the film that isn't great. The Godfather lives up to the term masterpiece. The greatest gangster film ever made. Coppola offers a rich and layered look at family and does so with an incredible cast and a meticulous amount of detail. My FAVORITE MOVIE EVER MADE.
  34. Oct 15, 2013
    Before there was Goodfellas, Donnie Brasco, The Departed, and Once Upon a Time in America there was the Godfather the "godfather" of all gangster movies, the "godfather" of the 70s, and the "godfather" of Francis Ford Coppola's career. It always hit the right notes, and doesn't miss any of them. It has not only reached its expectations, but also made numerous benchmarks for American cinema. Handled by Francis Ford Coppola's direction and screenplay (co-written with Mario Puzo, the movie was based on his novel), amazing performances by Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, etc., superb editing, cinematography, and Nino Rota's amazing score it is such a "masterpiece", that I wish to watch it again, over and over. The Godfather is everything you expected, when it comes to gangster movies.
    "A wedding. A horse's head. A gun in a restaurant toilet. Sicily. Another wedding. A car bomb. A toll-booth. A orange peel. A baptism. A closed door."
  35. Sep 16, 2013
    The movie was good. It was a good movie. #swaghestepikyololkejoidwajiojfaeliæjaflæwjfpoijkawfiopkwpodfkapåfwifpoawjfopawkfpowakfpåkawfpåwakfpåkwapokjfwpkfwa
  36. Sep 15, 2013
    The perfect film. There's not a better overall film out there. Not Citizen Kane, not 2001, not Casablanca and not Raging Bull. This film is a work of art and it's sequel is the greatest sequel of all-time(sorry Empire Strikes Back). The Godfather is a masterpiece.
  37. Aug 30, 2013
    The Godfather is a very good movie. If there were not many dialogues in this film I would have rated it with 9. It's not for 10 I think. And, it's 3 hours. You can see that it's getting boring in some parts of the film. The best movie of the trilogy was the second.
  38. Aug 22, 2013
    Artful, visually and historically realistic, Francis Ford Coppola makes his mark as his epic saga depicts in clear detail the dramatic story of a mafia family and it's struggles with the conflicts of other families in the heart of crime-filled New York City
  39. Aug 15, 2013
    Que obra maestra. De lo mejor que ha visto el cine en su historia. Una excelente dirección, guión, historia. Todo, absolutamente todo. Algo realmente impresionante.
  40. Aug 7, 2013
    Films like The Godfather are the reason i have a lifelong passion and love for film. A combination of writing, acting, cinematography and a thoroughly engrossing plot have undoubtedly created one of the greatest pieces of cinema, point blank. A mixture of drama, thrill, crime and even comic value have been masterfully scripted into a film so full of suspense and charm that it undeniably crosses the mind of ever film fanatic or casual movie lover out there.
    Each and every scene of the film is carefully filmed to create a whole different world for the viewer to get involved in, these scenes are intense, personal, but most importantly, completely focused on who is onscreen, each character has their moment, and they each make their mark on this legendary film. Perhaps the man who left the biggest mark was Marlon Brando, who plays the titular character, an underworld crime family boss who we are introduced to as an over the shoulder view, he scratches his face with the back of his fingers, he rolls his eyes, strokes his cat and talks in a muffled tone, all through the brilliance of Brando, who used cotton wool to perfect the speech, and rolled with a cat running on set, something not scripted, but perfect for the character Brando created, the everlasting memory of Vito Corleone, a man that when he opens his mouth, a respectable silence falls upon the film, acting at its best. We are at his daughters wedding as the film opens, from this there is a message set for the film, family, a man who doesn't spend time wit his family can never be a man" says Vito, one of the many quotes which made the film so memorable, but it also shows the true heart of the film, each of the sons this man has fathered look out for each other and all take part in the family 'business'.
    This business is told as a memorable reflection from Michael, played in perfectly calm but conflicted fashion by Al Pacino, who is the family member not quite sure what he wants, not part of the business, but suited for it. We are immediately thrust into the struggles of each crime family as they attempt to get stakes in a new market, something which Vito refuses to be a part of, put also something that almost costs him his life. With this, the eldest and hot-headed son steps forward, Sonny (James Caan) who ignores the wishes of the consigliere Tom (Robert Duvall) and seeks revenge on those who wronged his family.
    In the midst of all this there is a warming tone of a film, with some truly touching performances and some unforgettable turns as gangsters in 1940s New York. James Caan is well casted as the good-naturedbut short-tempered Sonny, who wants power, but also seems to want whats best for most of his family. But its Al Pacino and Marlon Brando who excel the film to remarkable achievements, Brando creates a character that simply couldn't be replicated or remade, and Pacino plays a conflicted but right-minded youngest brother, he gets what he wants and Pacino shows excellence in his eyes and confident speaking.
    A true journey of emotion, heartache, acceptance and love, the film explores all areas of what it means to be true to oneself, but also to forgive and forget, this is a truly remarkable feat and a masterful film that has given us some of the most memorable characters we have ever known, but also set a standard in the film industry as a force to be reckoned with, even as the years since its release tick on.
  41. Jul 29, 2013
    La pelicula tiene muchas capas como una cebolla. Tiene la particularidad que uno la ve varias veces en su vida, y al margen que siempre se disfruta, va cambiando la percepcion de la misma
  42. Jul 18, 2013
    This is the greatest movie ever made. Marlon Brando gives the performance of a lifetime, again. Each supporting actor gives a stellar performance. It is superbly paced, and the running time doesn't fell long at all. If you have not seen this movie, go now and watch it.
  43. Jul 6, 2013
    The Godfather is one of the greatest films ever made. Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Robert De Niro it can not get any better than that.
  44. Jun 19, 2013
    1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time, It's My Favorite Crime Film, My Favorite Francis Ford Coppola Film And My Favorite Paramount Pictures Film, It Has Been Considered To Be One Of The Greatest Films Ever Made.
  45. Jun 19, 2013
    I do not believe this is the greatest movie ever made. I do believe it is the greatest drama ever created. The Godfather is beautiful. The characters give believable and moving performances, and the story itself is gripping. It's hard to say a movie, such as the Godfather, is better than Quentin Tarantino's masterpiece, Pulp Fiction, simply because they are worlds apart, but for what this movie aspires to be, it delivers on every level. Expand
  46. Jun 19, 2013
    This film is a masterpiece. Has great plot, fabulous actors and magnificent story. I liked it a lot. The film on the restaurant is really good. I liked it in general but i think it's over-rated too. Though it's a good film and a must-see
  47. May 20, 2013
    Seems impossible anyone can make any movie better than The Godfather especially in the drama genre,
    It is by now thoroughly integrated into American life, and the film had the largest impact.
    Some characters will remain ever and ever in the cinema.
  48. May 19, 2013
    Violent, well scripted and large, this classic American recounts a dark period in the history of america so perfect and convincing with perfect performances from all his cast this movie will likely be immortal.
  49. May 4, 2013
    The Godfather trilogy (and I'm one of the few who rates III up there with I and II) finds a wonderful balance between a well-paced story and some terrific crisis moments for its characters. For those who may be concerned about whether or not they will enjoy it, I'd suggest watching The Godfather (Part I) while keeping in mind that this is a story about Michael wanting to go straight, to be good. To society and to his family. Expand
  50. May 2, 2013
    There are movies that I cannot judge with no bias as to its popularity. This is one of them. Consistently said to be one of the greatest movies of all time, what I found very fascinating about it are Marlon Brando, and the movie's authenticity. I read the book after having watched the movie. So, each and every page I went through, I couldn't help getting Brando's image on my mind over and again. I mean, I am so absorbed in his acting that I started living alongside him for the few days in which I went past the book. And the authenticity, yes, it sure enough has enough to make viewer feel it's been made amid 1950s Newyork. And there were this one-liners Offer you cant refuse and all. Add to the terrific things, Tom Hagen yes, I still recall Duvall as Hagen and Al pacino. Pacino in particular takes acting to a new level. Things only he can do with absolute coldness. It is a well made movie with one of the all time great cast giving out brilliant performances. I also would like to add, I still prefer the part 2 over this one, partly because of the fact that I am floored by De niro and Pacino in it and owing to some personal affection. Expand
  51. Apr 22, 2013
    This movie surprise me on its level of greatness, i'm 17 years old and I never did watch any classics movies before but when I watch Godfather, I was like "what an epic movie this is", its surprisingly awesome movie for 1972 and even better than most movies release today in the 21st century. Godfather is like the God of gangsters movie.
  52. Apr 20, 2013
    I'm one of those few people who watched The Godfather very late. Nevertheless, it had an impact on me like it did on many others. I loved and cherished every moment of this film. its beautifully written, directed and acted. It's one of those few All-Rounded Movies, thus it comes as no surprise that its beloved by many.
  53. Apr 19, 2013
    How somebody could not give this a 10/10 is beyond me. This is easily one of the best movies I have ever seen. Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, and everybody else were fantastic in their roles and Francis Ford Coppola outdid himself here.
  54. Apr 15, 2013
    Simply the best movie of all time, I know it sounds cliche, sorry to disappoint but the harsh truth Movie more closer to perfection doesn't exist.
  55. Apr 14, 2013
    If you ask me: "what is the best movie of all time?". I will say: "It is NOT The Godfather". Yes, a lot of people around us say it is the best movie they have ever seen. But most of them literally know that they know and undersand few about this movie and they are repeating what others say!!!
  56. Apr 4, 2013
    It's easy to see why this is the highest rated film. The acting is on another level, the directing is not only gripping and atmospheric but it doesn't cut from one thing to another. Everything that's important is shown, all the dialogue, all the detail. The story is obviously what makes this film so great. Although not an action movie, some of the scenes make the typical modern Hollywood blockbuster look laughable. The film is not only well-directed and clever, but also easy to follow. The story isn't over-complicated with a bundle of events which have no connection. The only reason I'm not giving it a 10 is because it's over 3 hours, and for a film that long you'd expect more to happen. The film can be cut down by about half an hour without losing any narrative or quality. Expand
  57. Mar 25, 2013
    Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece based on the Mario Puzo novel, The Godfather is considered by many to be one of the greatest films of all time, and for good reasons. Every aspect of the film is virtually perfect. The story is epic and compelling, containing iconic scenes and excellent dialogue. The characters are as engaging as they are memorable, and are brilliantly played by an excellent cast, with Marlon Brando and Al Pacino being the definite standouts. "Beautiful" does not even begin to describe the famous musical score of the film. The Godfather is my #1 favorite film of all time and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so too. A benchmark in film history, this easily is one film you can't refuse. Expand
  58. Mar 13, 2013
    The Godfather is a masterpiece. With superb storytelling and incredible acting, this film is not only the greatest crime film ever created but possibly the greatest film ever!!!
  59. Mar 9, 2013
    One of the best ever, strong at every level whether its from directing to any pinch of make-up it suceeds.
  60. Feb 27, 2013
    I find some negative reviews to be pointless either yammering on about how "long" the movie was, slow is another one (though many of these reviewers being kids and not quite used to the expository routines of late 60's drama) and committing the reviewers sin of comparing it to other hyper-spastic (almost cartoonish) crime dramas like Scarface and Pulp Fiction though exceptional in their own right. There is a quality of this film that tributes a long forgotten style of story telling within subtlety; the end result a beautifully woven opera of deceit, betrayal, loss and violence. It is and will always be a film that reaches the highest levels of fiction, wherein the film is preformed....and not spoon-fed to the audience. heaven forbid you'd have to do some actual thinking in order to complete a relatively easy 3 hours of story telling. Expand
  61. Feb 17, 2013
    Um filme tão denso que você pode passar anos e anos assistindo e ainda se surpreender com as camadas da história. Muito mais que uma aula de cinema: Uma verdadeira lição de Vida.
  62. Feb 10, 2013
    Absolutely an amazing film. With spectacular acting by a marvelous cast and amazing filming by Coppola. The use of shadows in this film in itself is a visual spectacle. This film shows an amazing glimpse into the life of the early 20th century mafia. A true classic that everyone should watch.
  63. Jan 27, 2013
    The Godfather requires a level of maturity to completely understand the story. It's not for everyone but once you realize it's to your taste you will get pulled in the story and 3 hours will go by unnoticed. Having said that, it's not an action film, it's a drama. So if you disliked it because it didn't excite you, you clearly went to the wrong movie. A masterpiece, deserves it's 10/10 score for producing a brilliant, memorable mob drama! Expand
  64. Jan 18, 2013
    This is the closest thing one can get to achieving perfection. This movie showed that you don't need consistent foul language or gruesome violence to make a movie. While there is some violence in it, this movie was nothing like some other mob movies out there (Scarface comes to mind). This movie presented a shadier side of the American world in a classy, interesting way. I could go on for an hour about why this movie is so perfect but I think it can speak for itself. If you haven't seen this movie yet, I would highly recommend doing so. Expand
  65. Jan 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I cant understand when somebody says negative about this movie.To me,it's perfect,the best picture of all times.Idea,director,actors,music,composer,make up..everything is ideal!!! I'm lo vin it! Expand
  66. Jan 12, 2013
    The best movie in Metacritic really is a great movie. Francis Ford Coppola made and aced a great film which is better than his sequels. Really well thought and made into a top hit Mafia-detective movie. One of Ford's best movies.
  67. Jan 11, 2013
    This is the only movie I've ever watched that has put me to sleep. I imagine that the entire movie could have been put into about 1/8th the time and still have retained all of its meaning.
  68. Dec 23, 2012
    This is a punchy, brutal and gripping tale of family values and business that offers an unrivaled insight into the world of the mafia. All the talk of honour sends a shiver down your spine, at the seriousness and intimacy of the bond between a man and his godfather. Armed with a great cast, and beautifully written script you cant go wrong with a film like this. A true classic
  69. Dec 9, 2012
    Excellent movie! The Godfather is the perfection. Excellent plot and everything else. A must-watch masterpiece. That's the only 9 which I gave (games included).
  70. Nov 28, 2012
    A ceaselessly compelling and undeniably perfect film with unforgettable iconography and legendary performances everywhere. Classic.
  71. Nov 23, 2012
    The critic score says it all. It is either you love this movie, or you didn't understand it. see this
  72. Nov 15, 2012
    The best film I have ever seen. May get a fair amount of criticism nowadays but to think that this film was made 40 years ago, that's pretty incredible!
  73. Oct 16, 2012
    Best movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupid ,Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are absolutely perfect ,they both got Oscar nominations out of it, for God sake! Expand
  74. Oct 15, 2012
    I forget The Godfather is in my list of masterpiece Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). The Silence of the Lambs (1991) . 12 Angry Men (1957). To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) . Scarface (1983). Seven (1995) .
  75. Aug 20, 2012
    I watched it. Didn't like it. I found myself bored 30 minutes into the party scene at the start of the movie. Not as good as i thought it would be. I had a better time watching Goodfellas, The Departed, Scarface, Once Upon A Time In America. there good gangster movies. I just don't get why people love it so much.
  76. Aug 4, 2012
    You know how when a friend is telling you a personal anecdote that he thinks is hilarious, but you don't find very funny, he'll say "you had to have been there." That's kind of how I feel about The Godfather. By the time I watched this movie I'd seen so many impersonations of Don Corleone and parodies that it all felt almost comical. Putting all that aside (if that's even possible), I still didn't enjoy this movie. I found myself checking how much more I had to sit through multiple times. And having seen what Al Pacino is capable of, he seems very wooden in this. My conclusion is that if you managed to see this movie before pop culture appropriated it and fed you their versions, then you'll likely love it. If like me you weren't around in the 70's, you might not get that much from it. In other words, you had to have been there. Expand
  77. Jul 18, 2012
    Perfect in all the departments 'The Godfather' is a masterpiece by Cappola. Fulfills, in fact sets, a new definition for an all time classic. If you are a true movie lover, you'll adore 'The Godfather'.
  78. May 25, 2012
    I must say, this is one of the best films of all time. There is nothing wrong with it. The plot is fantastic, the characters are very flowing. Al Pacino's performance is outstanding, there's nothing I can say to him. One of the best masterpieces of Francis Ford Coppola.....
  79. Mar 27, 2012
    I've never before been bored by a slow-moving film. Ever so much more weight is put on the horse-head scene than it supports. A husband-wife fight is phoney, weak, amateur and isn't even peanuts compared to any such scene by Scorsese. A curly-haired guy beats a guy up and it looks as fake as the fakest action I've ever seen; it was so bad it was hysterical. As in the faintly superior sequel, Robert Duvall's role consists almost entirely of standing around looking mildly concerned. Early scenes with Brando are effective enough, but not a whole lot else is. That curly-haired guy gets shot by a whole buncha guys later on and some friends asked me if I understood how and why the ambush happened as though I could possibly care why it happened or who he was. I heard one person complain that the film 'insists on itself', but it seemed to me more like it didn't even care it existed. At the moment, this movie has nearly five hundred and fifty thousand votes on I.M.D.B., but 'Goodfellas' has only three hundred and twenty-five thousand and 'Casino' barely over a hundred and fifty thousand. Sad. But Francis Ford went on to make an infinitely better film only seven years later, and his daughter an unutterably better one three decades later, and so the Family thrives. Expand
  80. Mar 19, 2012
    no one is arguing this is a bad movie you would have to be an idiot to argue that but one can defiantly argue it is an overrated movie. A wonderful movie probably in the top 20 movies of all time but to be honest i liked part II better even thought it was longer it was more interesting. there are many scenes in this movie that it wcould have done without and the whole love interest in Sicily was just unnecessary, uninteresting,and unrealistic. Expand
  81. Mar 18, 2012
    The Godfather is the reason that we watch movies to this vey day. It really defined a film as not just entertainment but an art form. One that is to be respected and admired and everything about this film is incredible. Especially Brando's performance as Vito Corleone. Pure art.
  82. Mar 10, 2012
    it gave me wood...................
  83. Feb 24, 2012
    Whenever I asked if this was a good film or not, I either heard it was extremely good or "I haven't seen it but yeah, it's good'. And when I finally found the time to sit through it, I couldn't believe what I had been missing. This is the greatest crime film I've have ever seen. Everything from the directing and acting to the soundtrack and, even thought its over two hours, the pacing.
  84. j30
    Feb 13, 2012
    You hear all this hype surrounding The Godfather, such as "it's a masterpiece," and the movie is included in countless critics and moviegoers top 10 movies of all time. I'm afraid they're right. The movie is a masterpiece and a beautiful piece of art that surpasses most films I have ever seen. From a technical standpoint it's flawless.
  85. Jan 29, 2012
    Its one of the greatest films of all time for a reason. The acting is amazing, The story telling is great. It has a few minor flaws (such as when Sunny beats up Connie's husband, that was a terrible fight scene). Yet all the minor flaws are completely forgetable because the movie is that good.
  86. Jan 26, 2012
    Listen up naysayers. Yeah. It does deserve a perfect score. Family. This film gives new definition to the word. The love that the Corleones have for each other in this film is so strong, yet it is also complicated. With a family business that is built upon a foundation of violence, the Corleones are destined for tragedy. Starring Marlon Brando as the Don, and Al Pacino as his son, Michael, this film is the unquestionable magnum opus of Francis Ford Coppola. This is the premier mafia motion picture. Expand
  87. Jan 15, 2012
    A cinematic masterpiece. In the top 100 movies list for a reason. For those people (You know who you are and I'm not going to individually name you) who gave this movie a bad review, simply put you have no brain or very simple minded maybe brain dead moron movies like Freddy got Fingered or Dumb and Dumberer (yes the prequel to Dumb and Dumber because the first movie might be way to complicated for you) is better suited for you. This is why I hate forums like this because some idiots of the world need some face punching for their insulting stupidity. Expand
  88. Jan 9, 2012
    Qu'il est bon de voir et revoir ce chef-d'oeuvre qu'est incontestablement Le Parrain! Ce film qui surpasse tout long-métrage racontant des histoires mafieuses (Scarface, Donnie Brasco, Les Affranchis...) qui ont été réalisés jusqu'à ce jour. Il est sûr que le rythme de ce Parrain est plutôt lent (sans compter sa durée de 2h58), mais c'est justement cela qui fait son charme : pendant 3h, on se préoccupe bien plus du destin d'une famille de la mafia plutôt que de ses agissements violents et inégaux. Ainsi, les protagonistes sont travaillés, écrits et interprétés à la perfection! Mais Le Parrain peut également compter sur sa bande son et sa mise en scène (jeux de lumière, photographie, décors, costumes, maquillages...) qui le rendent authentique et envoûtant de bout en bout. Un véritable pilier du cinéma! Expand
  89. Dec 28, 2011
    Like Babe Ruth is to baseball, like John Steinbeck is to writing, their is no doubt about it, The Godfather is the greatest film of all time. Never before have we seen performances so stellar, by Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, and everyone else! The Godfather has little life lessons everywhere. Along with an engaging plot, that just completes the most critically acclaimed film of all time. The Godfather is Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece. Expand
  90. Dec 27, 2011
  91. Dec 6, 2011
    To simply put it, The Godfather is an film that is honed to prefection. It is so good that I no longer have words to describe how amazing the film is. Pure greatness. The Godfather gets just about everything right in this compelling masterpiece that will be forever remembered and emulated, the godfather of modern films. I can see why this film is so big, so revolutionary, so influential. No other film stands a chance against this monster of a film. The acting is top-notch and the plot, the plot is amazing with a crime-epic tale that will always be remembered, immortalized forever. Al Pacino and Marlon Brando give stellar performances in their greatest movie ever. The amount of emotion in The Godfather is amazing too as the you clearly feel each character's emotion and are drawn into it. The moments staying forever in your mind because it is so amazing. The Godfather reinvents the way I look at movies, my view of them has changed forever as I see how masterful this film is. It crushes every other film, no other film will ever come close to knocking The Godfather off its pedestal of greatness. Flaws, this sounds mundane but I cannot say it any other way, there are like ZERO flaws in the film. I scrutinized but could not find any at all. The good aspects deeply mask the film's bad aspects so a perfect movie has been created in a sense, that is amazing. I have not given a movie a perfect 10 out of 10, I have not seen a movie worthy of the all-time high but that changes with The Godfather and it is well deserved. Overall, The Godfather is a flat-out amazing film that will always be beast and smoke every other movie out there, this film will be a film that everyone will mention when asked "what do you think are the greatest movies of all time?". The Godfather is pure perfection of films honed to the highest aspects. This is not a great movie, this is a revolutionary film, I love it. Breakdown for "The Godfather": Presentation: 10, Plot: 10, Acting: 10, Script: 10, Lasting Appeal: 10, Verdict: 10 out of 10, "Masterpiece", the best movie I have ever seen. Expand
  92. Nov 29, 2011
    This movie is easily one of the greatest ,if not the greatest, movies of all time. From start to finish, The Godfather is as perfect as perfect can get.
  93. Nov 28, 2011
    The Godfather is one of the greatest films of all time, no doubt. It is fueled by one of the greatest acting casts of all time, including Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, and Robert Duvall. If you don't like it because of it's violence, please be selfless and don't rate it. The Godfather is a story about the mafia and it's corruption on society.
  94. Nov 26, 2011
    There is a reason why its considered one of the greatest films of all time. The Godfather is as near perfect as perfect can be and its great from start to finish.
  95. Nov 25, 2011
    Boring? Really? I'm twelve and I watched the whole thing in one sitting, not to mention it's my favorite movie. So, seriously, go watch some of Al Pacino's latest films if you don't like this. You'll probably love "Jack and Jill".
  96. Nov 25, 2011
    The Godfather is, what I think, a vastly overrated movie. However it does have its strength, and upon a second viewing I was able to enjoy it. But it's its sequel that's the true masterpiece.
  97. Oct 18, 2011
    A terrific movie showing the life of olden time mobsters and what they encountered. But I warn you don't watch it if you are under the age of 10. A great film i love it I really think it might be the best movie I've ever seen and I think every human being (above the age of 10) should watch it.
  98. Sep 22, 2011
    Pacino?, Brando?, Duvall? What else can you ask for. An absolute classic, arguably the best film to hit the screen in the last few decades.. if i had a list of 100 best films it would be 2nd. just behind The Godfather II which i would say is just slightly better with De Niro's portrayal as the young Vito Corleone.
  99. Sep 15, 2011
    "The Godfather" is one of the few cinema classics that deserves every bit of the word it's always labeled with, masterpiece. One of the greatest films ever made, only to be surpassed later by its sequel.

1. Just about as great as a movie's ever gonna be... As for the storytellng, The Godfather is an intricately constructed gem that simultaneously kicks ass.
    The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion... It was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual.
    The wedding sequence... is a virtuoso stretch of filmmaking: Coppola brings his large cast onstage so artfully that we are drawn at once into the Godfather's world.