IFC Films | Release Date: April 23, 2010
7.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 42 Ratings
Watch Now
grandpajoe6191Nov 3, 2011
"The Good, the Bad, the Weird" presents the Korean world of cowboys, which is cool and full of visual action but lacks the brains and a better plot.
moviekretikNov 2, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Off-kilter Korean neo-western "The Good, the Bad, the Weird," is a frenetic genre mash-up packed with visceral, loopy violence. That isn't a complement so much as it is a description. The problem for me is that the plot, for as convoluted as it gets, is much too threadbare to sustain so much motion. The plot is basically get the map while we learn a bit about the characters, but not so much that the never ending chase and blood bath is really allowed to pause. It has enough motion for easily fifteen other films. In all honesty I looked at the clock at one point and was shocked that the film wasn't even half over. I was exhausted. Despite an interesting setting, lovely visuals, good music and kinetic action this is not a film that works. It is essentially a chase movie that never stops but a poor script, poorly paced action scenes and an overly long running time prevent it from realising it's potential.
I like the film, I don't love it. I can recommend the film, but at the same time I wish it was better. If you can get past the plot problems and just concentrate on the action you're going to have a great time.
LeoLApr 30, 2010
Starts well but meanders into the distance.
0 of 2 users found this helpful