5.7

1. KeithC
    Aug 14, 2009
    This movie had one or two mild laughs. Other than that I was thankful I saw it for free. I like Jeremy Piven's but the story of him being a mercenary hired to sell all the cars on the lot got do be boring by day 2 of the 4 days covered in the movie. I saw this movie at a drive-in and took advantage of the cool air by falling asleep during the rest of the movie (a first at the movies This movie had one or two mild laughs. Other than that I was thankful I saw it for free. I like Jeremy Piven's but the story of him being a mercenary hired to sell all the cars on the lot got do be boring by day 2 of the 4 days covered in the movie. I saw this movie at a drive-in and took advantage of the cool air by falling asleep during the rest of the movie (a first at the movies for me). Just shows how well it kept my attention. So, don't waste your money to see this movie. Its a good rental for a rainy day when you want to get some sleep and want to be mildly entertained. Expand
  2. MovieGoer1
    Aug 14, 2009
    This movie rocks!!!! So many hearty laughs, chortles, chuckles, and gut-busting belly laughing that would ensue a riot! Jeremy Piven and the crew star in this hilarious movie, and it'll be even better on DVD. Neal Brennan is one of the best young directors yet.
  3. ChadS.
    Aug 20, 2009
    "The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard" is the sort of slack movie where the comic bits take precedence over the storyline. As a result, the characters have the substance of cardboard, but in this case, the cardboard is interesting because it's made of archetypes. Don Ready(Jeremy Piven) and his associates are badass used car salesmen for hire, who could only exist in the movie world. Put "The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard" is the sort of slack movie where the comic bits take precedence over the storyline. As a result, the characters have the substance of cardboard, but in this case, the cardboard is interesting because it's made of archetypes. Don Ready(Jeremy Piven) and his associates are badass used car salesmen for hire, who could only exist in the movie world. Put them on horses and the allusion to Westerns become more obvious. But still, a vestige of the cowboy survives, even in the modern trappings of an airplane, as Don lights up a cigarette like the Marlboro man. Don is a descendant of your classic Western hero; he has no place to call home; he's a wanderer. When Ben Selleck(James Brolin) summons Don and his possee into town, the car salesmen lodge at the Hacienda Courts(read: ranch), and hang out at the strip club(read: saloon). Instead of moving livestock, they move cars(the lot is the frontier). Ivy(Jordana Spiro), the boss' daughter(read: the sheriff's daughter), tames Don's wandering spirit when she chooses the outlaw over the gentleman(Ed Helms plays a "man"-band wanna-be), but in the postscript, the happy ending is undermined by the forces of filmic history: a wandering spirit can't be domesticated. They split up after two years. Primarily an absurdist comedy, "The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard" tries to be funny, then tries to be serious(an awkward transition since the people are cardboard), when it looks like Don isn't going to get the girl. John Wayne never said, "The only thing in this world I love is [horses]," but that's the idea Ethan Edwards seems to be expressing at the end of John Ford's "The Searchers". Don feels the same way about cars, and in the long run, he makes good on his declaration. Expand
  4. sages
    Aug 28, 2009
    This movie is terrible i walked out in the first 30 min of the movie because of stupidness nudity and overcurseing and only two mild laffs.
  5. LouisL.
    Aug 15, 2009
    Jeremy Piven and Will Ferrell are comedic geniuses, as they strike gold in this winner. Neal Brennan is one of the best young directors in the business, fresh off co-writing from Chappelle's Show, with Buster from Arrested Development, Ken Jeong, and Ving Rhames as hillarious guest appearances. There were so many good scenes even I'm leaving out funny scenes between other Jeremy Piven and Will Ferrell are comedic geniuses, as they strike gold in this winner. Neal Brennan is one of the best young directors in the business, fresh off co-writing from Chappelle's Show, with Buster from Arrested Development, Ken Jeong, and Ving Rhames as hillarious guest appearances. There were so many good scenes even I'm leaving out funny scenes between other characters. Also, Ed Helms did a great job in his role. All in all, this movie is a must own on DVD. Expand
  6. JacobM
    Sep 6, 2009
    This was the first movie I have ever walked out of. It was not funny for the most part, and was actually quite disgusting. Don't waste your money.
  7. JoeMamma
    Aug 17, 2009
    0/10, was waiting a long time with all the advertisements on television to watch it. I checked the Internet a few days before release and what did I find, the nearest showing is over 60 miles from me. Between me and there is 10+ theatres, none of them could have gotten it? First time this ever happened to me tbh.
  8. KatieY
    Jan 17, 2010
    The Goods, Live Hard, Sell Hard was a funny movie! I thought it had a good plot beggining and to the end... but the ending was really weird. But Will Ferrell.
  9. sk
    Dec 5, 2009
    Worst movie ive ever seen...Will Ferrell is my FAVORITE actor butwow did this movie suck. and the main character wasnt even slightly funny.
  10. AlexH.
    Aug 15, 2009
    One or two mildly funny jokes kept me from walking out of this mess, but that was a mistake.
  11. Kgr323
    Aug 20, 2009
    Next to the hangover, this was the 2nd funniest movie of the year. Me and a few buddies in sales went to check this out over the weekend, and had plenty of laughs from the getgo.
  12. C.B.
    Aug 26, 2009
    I wanted to like this movie so bad, but wow did it suck. Shame on Ferrell/McKay for this turd.
  13. GlennS.
    Aug 14, 2009
    Great comedy for anyone with a direct sales background.
  14. ElaineB
    Aug 22, 2009
    Pathetic and gross, but there were a couple of younger guys in the audience laughing occasionally. Very lowbrow and totally brainless. How could Jeremy Priven sink so low and what was James Brolin doing in this thing? I saw him on "The View" promoting it and talking about how he and Barbra Streisand choose their movies carefully. Guess not, Jimbo!!
  15. Nov 18, 2010
    I saw this in theatres and I actually thought it was pretty funny. I know a lot of people thought it sucked but the same was said about Macgruber and I thought that was hilarious. I dunno, maybe I just have a different sense of humor.
  16. Nov 22, 2011
    A fantastic dirty comedy, if your looking for a lot of laughing at inappropriate humor you must watch this, it's hilarious and one of the best comedies I've seen in a long time, and the acting is extremely good, and it's unique, original, and hilarious, every seen had me rolling on the floor and laughing until I couldn't breath, this is a must see for any and all (older) comedy fans.
  17. Feb 26, 2012
    The movie made me laugh through most of it but with the cast and writers it had I really did expect more out of it. I was also kind of disappointed with the end of the movie. It's not as good as the Hangover but it is a funny movie and worth checking out.
  18. Jun 23, 2012
    I'm a huge fan of both Piven (Entourage) and Jeong (The Hangover), but "The Goods" were as bad as Employee of the Month or any movie that stars Dane Cook on it. They made an appearance on WWE Monday Night RAW to promote the movie. Unfortunately, they met a friendly John Cena and they'd payed the price. That's because they're were the worst guest hosts in RAW 's almost-20-year-old history.I'm a huge fan of both Piven (Entourage) and Jeong (The Hangover), but "The Goods" were as bad as Employee of the Month or any movie that stars Dane Cook on it. They made an appearance on WWE Monday Night RAW to promote the movie. Unfortunately, they met a friendly John Cena and they'd payed the price. That's because they're were the worst guest hosts in RAW 's almost-20-year-old history. After the film was released in August 2009, the film was a flop at the box office. So I suggest they can't make an appearance on the 1000th episode of RAW next month. Expand
  19. Nov 28, 2012
    A few spare moments elevate this comedy into "at least remotely memorable" territory.
  20. May 20, 2013
    Don Ready does have potential. He does see that his life is devoid of love and meaning. He does see that things in his world must change. And he even tries to make those changes. But his changes are 180 degrees away from what would truly help him. And that's really what makes The Goods tragic. Not in a Shakespearian sense by any means, but in an irreverent, dumbed-down, 21st centuryDon Ready does have potential. He does see that his life is devoid of love and meaning. He does see that things in his world must change. And he even tries to make those changes. But his changes are 180 degrees away from what would truly help him. And that's really what makes The Goods tragic. Not in a Shakespearian sense by any means, but in an irreverent, dumbed-down, 21st century Hollywood sense. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Robert Abele
    The Goods motors along choking out enough lowbrow laughs to make for an agreeably nutty late summer ride.
  2. A comedy without a shred of obvious filmmaking and an endless stream of good, bad, sometimes terrible, often absurd jokes.
  3. Reviewed by: Stan Hall
    In many places it's genuinely, absurdly funny--crass, sleazy and morally questionable, yes, but still funny.