8.3

1. Aug 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The graduate is a story of a young man whose lover is miss robinson and when he meets her daughter he falls in love with her. It has many scandals and that's actually the whole movie. It has good music, good actors and that's all. It is just one other romantic film that has a happy ending though the ending should not be happy. It doesn't explain what happens after the runaway with the bus and the happy ending comes. I liked it it was entertaining but it just was a romantic film once again with a little bit of drama in it. Expand
  2. Mar 4, 2011
    It was a definitive movie for the times but now painful to watch. The end is ridiculous.
  3. Feb 4, 2012
    A true classic. This is a film that was ahead of it's time when it was released in 1967. A solid cast (all major characters were nominated for Academy Awards) and a fun, fun story. Fun is the key word to say when discussing this film. Highly recommended.
  4. Sep 23, 2014
    A great point of view character study. The story follows the resulting actions taken by a young man insecure of his future. All this angst, cause the main character to cure boredom with deep affectionate love. Following his intuition of moral and principles, lead the protagonist to agony resulting from life planning. Going against his values, gives this man a break from reality and a chance at happiness. It's not until the end, that the dream ends for our character. Closing the film in one of the most astonishing ending scene of all time. This film is not only great for the importance of the plot's place in movie history, but it's style of beautiful cinematography and impressive shots at times. Expand
  5. Aug 27, 2014
    One of the film industry's most captivating story lines. With more-than-notable performances from its cast, it's difficult to go wrong with a Simon & Garfunkel soundtrack.
  6. Jul 1, 2012
    Honestly, I spent my whole life hearing about this film and how important it was as an industry milestone movie, but I never saw it. I finally watched it and honestly I was blown away. The cinematography and editing alone is flawless and innovative even by modern standards. The story line is as captivating now as it was then and the acting is so natural and fluid. If you are a Wes Anderson fan you must see this because he nods this direction countless times in his movies. Believe the hype on this one, it is the real deal. Expand
  7. Apr 22, 2013
    It was funny, but Benjamin's awkwardness was painful at times and holy cow was the end bad. Good acting and directing regardless of that, which made the movie up until the end very enjoyable.
  8. Nov 28, 2012
    "The Graduate" is a 1967 film directed by Mike Nichols and starring Dustin Hoffman. The film tells a story of a young graduate student (who knew) who finds himself tangled up in an affair with his father's business partner's wife. Now, first off, I've heard nothing but great things about this movie. I heard that Hoffman was great in it, it had a great story, soundtrack, dialogue, etc. I can say that after everything I heard, this film definitely lived up to it's hype. The film is almost half a century old and yet I found myself (a generation Z college student) relating to it in a myriad of incredible ways. The fact that this film stands strong after an immense amount of time is, in my honest opinion, the most impressive aspect of the film. Dustin Hoffman is arguably the greatest actor in the business and he's in this movie - it's common knowledge that he's going to be good in it. All of the characters in this film were well written and well portrayed as well. Even the side characters were well-written. The script, in general, seems to be the epitome of good writing. The soundtrack is written by two of my most favorite artists - Simon And Garfunkel. Needless to say, it's timeless and unforgettable. The ending of the film was really well done, and the direction altogether seemed to be executed with the utmost precision. There were even a few editing techniques that impressed me in this film. Overall, "The Graduate" is a film that truly impressed me. Every person that was at once a student (pretty much everybody) should see and identify with this film. Really good stuff here. Expand
  9. Apr 3, 2014
    Funny and a charming performance from Dustin Hoffman who excellently plays college graduate Ben Braddock who awkwardly goes about doing things and not sure about his future who is seduced by his parent's friends wife, Mrs Robinson. A definitive movie of it's time, I believe it and the soundtrack portray loneliness and uncertainty. The ending is so ridiculous and a let down but the rest is great entertainment. Nice camera work and editing. Good watch! Expand
  10. May 15, 2013
    Magnificent, interesting and different. A grand and beautiful film itself with great performances and a plot with a splendid and full weight toward the film.
  11. Jun 22, 2014
    Smart, funny, thought-provoking, immaculately edited, with top-notch acting and pitch perfect directing and also impressive use of camera work, Mike Nichols delivered in 1967 a true classic, a film that we could say it's ahead of its time. Not to mention the soundtrack: melancholic and simply outstanding. A must watch.
  12. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is very funny, but its comedy isn't just from flat out jokes, it comes from the characters and the situations making the humour much more subtle. Dustin Hoffman is so awkward that by the end you can't help but like him. Anne Bancroft's performance is also very good, is she actually evil or is she just lonely, it's an interesting character nonetheless. I also must mention the soundtrack by Simon and Garfunkal, it was so good and really set the tone for the movie, putting the viewer almost in a trance like state as they watch the events unfold. In the end I found it to be a funny, dramatic, and artistic movie, well worth a watch. Expand
  13. Sep 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In following up those cinematic classics that I’m somehow still catching up on, I recently saw The Graduate for the first time. I inevitably went into it with some idea of what was going to happen, but little more than an expectation for Dustin Hoffman to pursue a relationship with an older woman, to the sound of Simon & Garfunkel.

Hoffman is Benjamin Braddock, the disaffected young university graduate who returns from his studies to a summer without direction. He is swiftly seduced by Mrs. Robinson, the wife of his father’s business partner, and embarks on a lengthy affair, but his affection soon turns to her daughter, Elaine. Yet this is merely the bare bones of the plot: it’s more complex than a simple romantic comedy, and the ending, notably, is ambiguous.

It’s impossible to complain about spoilers for a film that came out over forty years ago; it has seeped into popular culture, and been subjected to merciless parody. The iconic ending sequence is especially strange to watch for someone who grew up repeatedly watching Wayne’s World 2 (1993), where it is replicated shot for shot.

The critical eye has been on the film for so long, and it has passed through so many generations that its contemporary relevance can be questioned. Though a product of the late 1960s, the counterculture elements we associate with the period, such as free love, psychedelia, or hard rock. Benjamin’s sexual experiences are not part of a revolution, and he remains trapped firmly within the rigid framework of upper middle class suburbia.

While there’s a certain fascination to looking back on a snapshot of the past, many of us no longer have the same relationship with our parents and the older generation. Do we look back at a history of steady liberalisation, but no massive social upheaval, and see further subversion as unnecessary? Do our parents, the children of the past, simply provide us with a system we no longer need to escape? Maybe modern youth have it worse than Benjamin; our coming of age is not so straightforward. We are no longer afforded the opportunity of clear rebellion, and are left to wallow in the established structure.

What does hold true is the portrayal of a graduate with no clear future, returning to inhabit the fading skeleton of a life that’s somehow no longer his own, and the dull resignation that there’s little incentive to do anything about it. As a graduate myself (Though my current social circle suffers an absence of attractive lonely women) I can largely sympathise with Benjamin’s predicament.

It seems coming of age requires something extreme, ditching the world and obligations, the way that Benjamin does at the end of The Graduate. The whole film is an exploration of these questions, symbolically relayed through the central relationships. The choices the characters make in their attachments are reflective of the choices that can be made in all facets of life.

This is emphasised stylistically through a number of visually captivating shots and transitions that underline the sense of emptiness and alienation. Water (swimming pools, aquariums, and rain) appears frequently as a tool of separation. The soundtrack contains little youthful euphoria, but is melancholic, featuring repeated motifs that again, accentuate loneliness.

These are played during moments that could otherwise be seen as positive steps in Benjamin’s life, at the height of his relationship with Mrs. Robinson, and during his final elopement, elevating the drama above mere comedy.

His obsession with Elaine is far from romantic destiny, and exists primarily as an escape from his relationship with her mother, and a chance to give his life some purpose outside an unhealthy liaison that makes him feel increasingly trapped. Compared with Mrs. Robinson, Elaine’s character is chronically underdeveloped, though she responds positively to Benjamin’s pseudo-philosophical ramblings.

While she is disgusted to learn of Benjamin’s affair with her mother, we learn little else of her thoughts on home, and where she fits in do the loveless dynamic in the Robinson household. We do not know if she as desperate to break free as Benjamin is. She ultimately follows him on impulse, having initially been happy to marry another at her parents’ request.

The separation from the character of Elaine forces us to experience the relationship purely from the perspective of Benjamin, who has put her on a pedestal and made her the object of his salvation.

Despite the vein of sympathy I have as a fellow graduate, Benjamin is at times an insufferable and frustrating character to watch, and ultimately, Mrs. Robinson comes off as more sympathetic. She is the one who is truly lost and trapped. Benjamin still has his whole life ahead of him, once he finally decides what he’s going to do with it.
  14. Aug 18, 2014
    The Graduate is a well-made take on youth angst, as well as a bitingly funny movie. It finds the right balance of humor, wit, character development, and deft screenplay, and works on every level. I highly recommend it.

1. Reviewed by: Alison Macor
    Hoffman and Bancroft are phenomenally cast in a script co-written by Buck Henry and Calder Willingham that is by turns sly, touching, and amazingly fresh 30 years later. [Review of re-release]
  2. The light ribbing of conspicuous consumption in southern California and the Simon and Garfunkel songs on the sound track both play considerable roles in giving this depthless comedy some bounce. [Review of re-release]
    The funniest American comedy of the year.