Embassy Pictures Corporation | Release Date: December 21, 1967
AlyssaC.Jun 15, 2008
Classic.
3 of 3 users found this helpful
KivaAug 11, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The graduate is a story of a young man whose lover is miss robinson and when he meets her daughter he falls in love with her. It has many scandals and that's actually the whole movie. It has good music, good actors and that's all. It is just one other romantic film that has a happy ending though the ending should not be happy. It doesn't explain what happens after the runaway with the bus and the happy ending comes. I liked it it was entertaining but it just was a romantic film once again with a little bit of drama in it. Expand
azco98Jun 22, 2014
Smart, funny, thought-provoking, immaculately edited, with top-notch acting and pitch perfect directing and also impressive use of camera work, Mike Nichols delivered in 1967 a true classic, a film that we could say it's ahead of its time.Smart, funny, thought-provoking, immaculately edited, with top-notch acting and pitch perfect directing and also impressive use of camera work, Mike Nichols delivered in 1967 a true classic, a film that we could say it's ahead of its time. Not to mention the soundtrack: melancholic and simply outstanding. A must watch. Expand
VinceRocks123Apr 16, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A eye-popping controversially mind-provoking comedy with the wacky taste of diversion from the dark dullness silence of life to something more bizarre that shatters innocence forever

Dustin Hoffman in his first motion picture debut, plays a college graduate Benjamin Braddock with a directionless view of life, unable to decide what to do with his future he ends taking a bizarre turn for something worse ,trading in a lame life of innocence, littered with business proposals for plastics and annoying parents who expect him to do something good for life, when he ends up getting seduced by Mrs. Robinson (played by Anne Bancroft in an iconic role turned down by many other actresses) he soon finds his new life stuck in a bed having sex with a woman older than him will come at a great price to his escape from a normal life, when he meets Elaine Robinson the daughter of Mrs. Robinson and everything goes chaotic for Ben's life as he races to abandon everything for tough luck and prevent Elaine from getting involved into a forced marriage devised by her parents.

Mike Nichols does a great hand in directing to make a classical masterpiece of the unexpected virtues of life marred by complete ignorance for whats healthy for your life, the ending will leave with a painful feeling of wanting to reorganize your life without a regrettable error.

hands down the number one coming of age legacy of the late 60s
Mgfoster330Jul 1, 2012
Honestly, I spent my whole life hearing about this film and how important it was as an industry milestone movie, but I never saw it. I finally watched it and honestly I was blown away. The cinematography and editing alone is flawless andHonestly, I spent my whole life hearing about this film and how important it was as an industry milestone movie, but I never saw it. I finally watched it and honestly I was blown away. The cinematography and editing alone is flawless and innovative even by modern standards. The story line is as captivating now as it was then and the acting is so natural and fluid. If you are a Wes Anderson fan you must see this because he nods this direction countless times in his movies. Believe the hype on this one, it is the real deal. Expand
CritiqueGirlMar 4, 2011
It was a definitive movie for the times but now painful to watch. The end is ridiculous.
AdamS.Nov 10, 2007
Good, not great.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
Codyk4545Feb 4, 2012
A true classic. This is a film that was ahead of it's time when it was released in 1967. A solid cast (all major characters were nominated for Academy Awards) and a fun, fun story. Fun is the key word to say when discussing this film.A true classic. This is a film that was ahead of it's time when it was released in 1967. A solid cast (all major characters were nominated for Academy Awards) and a fun, fun story. Fun is the key word to say when discussing this film. Highly recommended. Expand
AlvaradoKTASep 23, 2014
A great point of view character study. The story follows the resulting actions taken by a young man insecure of his future. All this angst, cause the main character to cure boredom with deep affectionate love. Following his intuition of moralA great point of view character study. The story follows the resulting actions taken by a young man insecure of his future. All this angst, cause the main character to cure boredom with deep affectionate love. Following his intuition of moral and principles, lead the protagonist to agony resulting from life planning. Going against his values, gives this man a break from reality and a chance at happiness. It's not until the end, that the dream ends for our character. Closing the film in one of the most astonishing ending scene of all time. This film is not only great for the importance of the plot's place in movie history, but it's style of beautiful cinematography and impressive shots at times. Expand
beingryanjudeAug 27, 2014
One of the film industry's most captivating story lines. With more-than-notable performances from its cast, it's difficult to go wrong with a Simon & Garfunkel soundtrack.
SpangleApr 22, 2013
It was funny, but Benjamin's awkwardness was painful at times and holy cow was the end bad. Good acting and directing regardless of that, which made the movie up until the end very enjoyable.
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
"The Graduate" is a 1967 film directed by Mike Nichols and starring Dustin Hoffman. The film tells a story of a young graduate student (who knew) who finds himself tangled up in an affair with his father's business partner's wife. Now, first"The Graduate" is a 1967 film directed by Mike Nichols and starring Dustin Hoffman. The film tells a story of a young graduate student (who knew) who finds himself tangled up in an affair with his father's business partner's wife. Now, first off, I've heard nothing but great things about this movie. I heard that Hoffman was great in it, it had a great story, soundtrack, dialogue, etc. I can say that after everything I heard, this film definitely lived up to it's hype. The film is almost half a century old and yet I found myself (a generation Z college student) relating to it in a myriad of incredible ways. The fact that this film stands strong after an immense amount of time is, in my honest opinion, the most impressive aspect of the film. Dustin Hoffman is arguably the greatest actor in the business and he's in this movie - it's common knowledge that he's going to be good in it. All of the characters in this film were well written and well portrayed as well. Even the side characters were well-written. The script, in general, seems to be the epitome of good writing. The soundtrack is written by two of my most favorite artists - Simon And Garfunkel. Needless to say, it's timeless and unforgettable. The ending of the film was really well done, and the direction altogether seemed to be executed with the utmost precision. There were even a few editing techniques that impressed me in this film. Overall, "The Graduate" is a film that truly impressed me. Every person that was at once a student (pretty much everybody) should see and identify with this film. Really good stuff here. Expand
WalkingDead5640Apr 3, 2014
Funny and a charming performance from Dustin Hoffman who excellently plays college graduate Ben Braddock who awkwardly goes about doing things and not sure about his future who is seduced by his parent's friends wife, Mrs Robinson. AFunny and a charming performance from Dustin Hoffman who excellently plays college graduate Ben Braddock who awkwardly goes about doing things and not sure about his future who is seduced by his parent's friends wife, Mrs Robinson. A definitive movie of it's time, I believe it and the soundtrack portray loneliness and uncertainty. The ending is so ridiculous and a let down but the rest is great entertainment. Nice camera work and editing. Good watch! Expand
nippu33May 15, 2013
Magnificent, interesting and different. A grand and beautiful film itself with great performances and a plot with a splendid and full weight toward the film.
PiscasoNov 1, 2015
An incredible film; a masterpiece. The cinematography, acting, story, imagery, and symbolism is perfect. There was so much done in each shot. There are too many camera shots to list that used the language of cinema perfectly to tell usAn incredible film; a masterpiece. The cinematography, acting, story, imagery, and symbolism is perfect. There was so much done in each shot. There are too many camera shots to list that used the language of cinema perfectly to tell us things. The editing is great too. I will say that there is a LOT of Simon and Garfunkel (Scarborough Fair and Sound of Silence are repeated multiple times) which, if you don't like them you will get annoyed quickly, but if you like them you're gonna love it. There is also some funny scenes and lines but it's not necessarily a comedy.

This movie is just perfectly executed. But I can see how it could go over the heads of some people. If you're not the sharpest person, or don't really understand movies, you might just find it weird. But film buffs and people who can critically examine movies will love it. This is an important movie for a reason.
askewglassesAug 28, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is very funny, but its comedy isn't just from flat out jokes, it comes from the characters and the situations making the humour much more subtle. Dustin Hoffman is so awkward that by the end you can't help but like him. Anne Bancroft's performance is also very good, is she actually evil or is she just lonely, it's an interesting character nonetheless. I also must mention the soundtrack by Simon and Garfunkal, it was so good and really set the tone for the movie, putting the viewer almost in a trance like state as they watch the events unfold. In the end I found it to be a funny, dramatic, and artistic movie, well worth a watch. Expand
Jack_SunshineSep 30, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In following up those cinematic classics that I’m somehow still catching up on, I recently saw The Graduate for the first time. I inevitably went into it with some idea of what was going to happen, but little more than an expectation for Dustin Hoffman to pursue a relationship with an older woman, to the sound of Simon & Garfunkel.

Hoffman is Benjamin Braddock, the disaffected young university graduate who returns from his studies to a summer without direction. He is swiftly seduced by Mrs. Robinson, the wife of his father’s business partner, and embarks on a lengthy affair, but his affection soon turns to her daughter, Elaine. Yet this is merely the bare bones of the plot: it’s more complex than a simple romantic comedy, and the ending, notably, is ambiguous.

It’s impossible to complain about spoilers for a film that came out over forty years ago; it has seeped into popular culture, and been subjected to merciless parody. The iconic ending sequence is especially strange to watch for someone who grew up repeatedly watching Wayne’s World 2 (1993), where it is replicated shot for shot.

The critical eye has been on the film for so long, and it has passed through so many generations that its contemporary relevance can be questioned. Though a product of the late 1960s, the counterculture elements we associate with the period, such as free love, psychedelia, or hard rock. Benjamin’s sexual experiences are not part of a revolution, and he remains trapped firmly within the rigid framework of upper middle class suburbia.

While there’s a certain fascination to looking back on a snapshot of the past, many of us no longer have the same relationship with our parents and the older generation. Do we look back at a history of steady liberalisation, but no massive social upheaval, and see further subversion as unnecessary? Do our parents, the children of the past, simply provide us with a system we no longer need to escape? Maybe modern youth have it worse than Benjamin; our coming of age is not so straightforward. We are no longer afforded the opportunity of clear rebellion, and are left to wallow in the established structure.

What does hold true is the portrayal of a graduate with no clear future, returning to inhabit the fading skeleton of a life that’s somehow no longer his own, and the dull resignation that there’s little incentive to do anything about it. As a graduate myself (Though my current social circle suffers an absence of attractive lonely women) I can largely sympathise with Benjamin’s predicament.

It seems coming of age requires something extreme, ditching the world and obligations, the way that Benjamin does at the end of The Graduate. The whole film is an exploration of these questions, symbolically relayed through the central relationships. The choices the characters make in their attachments are reflective of the choices that can be made in all facets of life.

This is emphasised stylistically through a number of visually captivating shots and transitions that underline the sense of emptiness and alienation. Water (swimming pools, aquariums, and rain) appears frequently as a tool of separation. The soundtrack contains little youthful euphoria, but is melancholic, featuring repeated motifs that again, accentuate loneliness.

These are played during moments that could otherwise be seen as positive steps in Benjamin’s life, at the height of his relationship with Mrs. Robinson, and during his final elopement, elevating the drama above mere comedy.

His obsession with Elaine is far from romantic destiny, and exists primarily as an escape from his relationship with her mother, and a chance to give his life some purpose outside an unhealthy liaison that makes him feel increasingly trapped. Compared with Mrs. Robinson, Elaine’s character is chronically underdeveloped, though she responds positively to Benjamin’s pseudo-philosophical ramblings.

While she is disgusted to learn of Benjamin’s affair with her mother, we learn little else of her thoughts on home, and where she fits in do the loveless dynamic in the Robinson household. We do not know if she as desperate to break free as Benjamin is. She ultimately follows him on impulse, having initially been happy to marry another at her parents’ request.

The separation from the character of Elaine forces us to experience the relationship purely from the perspective of Benjamin, who has put her on a pedestal and made her the object of his salvation.

Despite the vein of sympathy I have as a fellow graduate, Benjamin is at times an insufferable and frustrating character to watch, and ultimately, Mrs. Robinson comes off as more sympathetic. She is the one who is truly lost and trapped. Benjamin still has his whole life ahead of him, once he finally decides what he’s going to do with it.
MovieGuysAug 18, 2014
The Graduate is a well-made take on youth angst, as well as a bitingly funny movie. It finds the right balance of humor, wit, character development, and deft screenplay, and works on every level. I highly recommend it.
Potarto72Dec 21, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Graduate is a beloved film, but in my opinion, severely under appreciated. People refer to it as a great comedy, but I beg to differ. Why I find the Graduate to be such a perfect film is because of the dramatic element behind it.
The two protagonists, Benjamin and Elaine, spend the entire film slowly building the willpower to rebel against control their control freak parents, and after an exhilarating finale, finally get away, with all responsibility thrown out the window. But it's the film's lingering ending, where the smiles fade, and the music cues up, that set it apart. It isn't just a film about rebellion, it is THE youth movie. It contains all the pain and pleasure of being a teenager, and goes far deeper than the conflict on the surface, providing an intense moral struggle that even the characters are rarely aware of. Everything in this film comes together in just the right way to make the message immaculate, and I think it's the type of film everyone should watch to gain a greater understanding of teenage life, regardless of your age.
chwFeb 18, 2016
Damn. I didn't know what I was in for with this movie. But it was a magnificent masterpiece. I loved it. I didn't think I'd even like it. But I liked it so much that I watched it again only a month later.
MovieMasterEddyApr 10, 2016
The Graduate is a delightful, satirical comedy-drama about a young man's seduction by an older woman, and the measure of maturity which he attains from the experience. Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross and relative newcomer Dustin Hoffman head aThe Graduate is a delightful, satirical comedy-drama about a young man's seduction by an older woman, and the measure of maturity which he attains from the experience. Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross and relative newcomer Dustin Hoffman head a very competent cast.

An excellent screenplay by Calder Willingham and comedy specialist Buck Henry, based on the Charles Webb novel, focuses on Hoffman, just out of college and wondering what it’s all about. Predatory Miss Bancroft, wife of Murray Hamilton, introduces Hoffman to mechanical sex, reaction to which evolves into true love with Miss Ross, Miss Bancroft’s daughter.

Had the story been told in terms of straight drama, it would have been one of those boring modern mellers — the hippie equivalent of a woman’s pic — in which vacant stares are supposed to convey emotion and plot action, and jazzed up cinematics become obvious and pretentious. To be sure, Nichols, in his second feature film, has laid on, with a trowel, most of the current gimmicks, but, thanks to a strong script, they are not noticeable for most of the film.

In the 70 minutes which elapse from Hoffman’s arrival home from school to the realization by Miss Ross that he has had an affair with her mother, pic is loaded with hilarious comedy and, because of this, the intended commentary on materialistic society is most effective. Only in retrospect does one realize a basic, but not overly damaging, flaw: Hoffman’s achievements in school are not credible in light of his basic shyness. No matter, or not much, anyway.

Miss Bancroft, feline and slinky in a manner very much like Lauren Bacall, is excellent, as is Miss Ross, an exciting, fresh actress from the Universal stable, who has a long career ahead of her. Hoffman is perfect in his role. William Daniels and Elizabeth Wilson play his parents in top fashion. Small, but well-cast, supporting contingent includes co-scripter Henry, as a room clerk.

Only in the final 35 minutes, as Hoffman drives up and down the LA-Frisco route in pursuit of Miss Ross, does film falter in pacing, result of which the switched-on cinematics become obvious, and therefore tiring. Vet cameraman Robert Surtees used Panavision and Technicolor to desired advantage. It would be wrong to say that Surtees has “turned on” to new techniques; more precisely, and more importantly, he is responsive to the desire for a modern look. In other words, he is a professional craftsman.

Richard Sylbert’s production design is outstanding, again. Paul Simon wrote the good songs, sung by Simon & Garfunkel, and Dave Grusin’s incidental music is equally adroit. Sam O’Steen’s editing is sharp, and other technical credits are strong. Count this one a winner for Joseph E. Levine, Turman and Nichols Murf.
Graham433Jun 12, 2016
The Graduate is an all-time classic. This film stars Dustin Hoffman and features a beautiful Simon + Garfunkel soundtrack. This movie is the only movie of its kind. This is an amazing movie. See it now!