7.9

1. Jul 1, 2012
    Honestly, I spent my whole life hearing about this film and how important it was as an industry milestone movie, but I never saw it. I finally watched it and honestly I was blown away. The cinematography and editing alone is flawless and innovative even by modern standards. The story line is as captivating now as it was then and the acting is so natural and fluid. If you are a WesHonestly, I spent my whole life hearing about this film and how important it was as an industry milestone movie, but I never saw it. I finally watched it and honestly I was blown away. The cinematography and editing alone is flawless and innovative even by modern standards. The story line is as captivating now as it was then and the acting is so natural and fluid. If you are a Wes Anderson fan you must see this because he nods this direction countless times in his movies. Believe the hype on this one, it is the real deal. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Alison Macor
    Hoffman and Bancroft are phenomenally cast in a script co-written by Buck Henry and Calder Willingham that is by turns sly, touching, and amazingly fresh 30 years later. [Review of re-release]
  2. The light ribbing of conspicuous consumption in southern California and the Simon and Garfunkel songs on the sound track both play considerable roles in giving this depthless comedy some bounce. [Review of re-release]
    The funniest American comedy of the year.