7.2

1. May 10, 2013
    All of the ambiguity and thoughtfulness that is required to read 'The Great Gatsby' is thrown out of the window with characters' blatant explanations of symbols, ideas and character development.
  2. May 17, 2013
    I have not read the book for this film but I am fairly certain it doesn't reference the Jay-Z and Beyonce songs playing in the background. Look, I get that this is how the director likes to do his thing, but I can't take it, complete garbage and it will look even worse in ten years when people hear the awful music and laugh it off.
  3. May 13, 2013
    “The Great Gatsby” stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey maguire (he spells it that way), Jason Clark and Joel Edgerton in this remake of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel of life and its extravagances in the mid ‘20’s. Unfortunately, not true to the flavor and depth of this great novel, Director and Co-writer Baz Luhrmann gives us a glitzy overdone film with no depth or intensity but, instead, the shallowness of a music video. First, a disclaimer. I am no fan of either Tobey maguire or of Mr. DiCaprio and with these precommitted feelings, it’s difficult to enjoy any vehicle either of them are in, let alone both. Mr. maguire whines his way through this overdone narrative and Mr. DiCaprio continues to look like a teenager trying to play an adult. If he uttered the phrase “old spoaht” one more time in the film, I would’ve thrown my 3D glasses at the screen. Speaking of that, this film has no dimension so the need to try to see it in 3D is useless. I at one point took off the glasses and could not honestly tell the difference. So visually and substantively, the film lacks so much except one thing…..time. This lifeless seemingly never ending film lasts for 2 and hours and screams for an editor’s splicing machine. The special effects and scenery, as costly as they may have been, seems to be the impetus for the movie’s length since it’s hard to put so much set money on the floor of the editing room. The old “how many times did I look at my watch” test proved accurate for I recall no less than 6. This Gatsy is neither ‘great’ nor ‘good’ and, at best, is mediocre. As bad as the 1974 version of the film with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow was, this is probably worse. I give the film a rating of 3.The viewers, F. Scott and those interested in good filmmaking deserve better. Expand
  4. Aug 31, 2013
    Unfortunately, reducing one of the great novels to a shiny self-indulgent music video is the least of its problems. The narration was so annoying and never ending and the performances were bizarre. I could care less about the characters because not one of the them actually felt real. It was a very boring movie. There was obviously a great deal of effort put into this movie, but Luhrmann is more interested in what you see and hear rather than what you are supposed to think and feel. Expand
  5. May 10, 2013
    schoolanduniversity.com To hear the critics tell it, Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of "The Great Gatsby" is the disappointment of the year. There's not enough jazz, they say. There was no 3-D in the 1920s! It's two movies that don't fit together! Has Jay-Z even read the book?! If you're a fan of F. Scott Fitzgerald's book, take a deep breath. It's not as bad as they make it seem.
  6. Jul 27, 2013
    Is it just me or was this the most boring Leo movie ever! No intense moments whatsoever. I really have nothing else to add except that it was way too long and I almost fell asleep in the movie theatre. And 3D is not worth it if there is just going to be 3d snow an rain.
  7. May 13, 2013
    It is now apparent that F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel The Great Gatsby does not translate well to the big screen. The acting was perfectly fine but the story, as classic as it may be, can simply not be made into a decent major motion picture.
  8. Aug 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible. Simply awful. How anyone can endure this for more than 5 minutes is beyond me. Rap music in the twenties WTF The characters are all overacted to the point that none of them is the least bit intriguing or interesting. The dialogues are beyond dumb and stupid. There is no chemistry at all between the main character and the writer. Why would Gatsby show him around The writer is the most boring person on the face of the planet. None of the women are pretty or interesting either.
    The question remains: why are these movies made Seems to me that anyone involved in the production was high on cocaine. I have no other explanation for coming up with a script and screenplay like this one...
  9. Aug 31, 2013
    This is one of the worst movies ever. The director should be arrested for this absolutely insulting adaption of The Great Gatsby. Never was I more convinced to just get up and leave the theater in the middle of the movie.
  10. Aug 12, 2013
    Horrible. The green-screen was overused and the story was reduced to cheap soap-opera with awful music. The acting is okay, but the characters are suffering from the writing too. Every character seems overacted and just like the whole movie 'artificial'. Not worth watching...
  11. May 13, 2013
    too long by 45 minutes and slow, very slow. once again they focus on the mega parties instead of the characters, as a result the acting did not seem to be explore real human dimensions, two dimsional instead of really being fleshed out.

of course the green light is so important, but they show it so many times that it lost all impact.

what i did like was that Gatsby is just as
    corrupt and delusional as everyone else. of course that makes Nick's line at the end pretty stupid, "your worth more than all the rest put together". Expand
  12. Jun 5, 2013
    This interpretation of the great Gatsby is neither great nor good. This is a bust, add this to the recent list of DiCaprio flops. the rap music and dizzying camera work made me sick. the great f. Scot Fitzgerald nevel is turned in to garbage. The only saving grace is Toby Maguire's supporting performance. Pleas, read the book, forget the movie.
  13. Jun 6, 2013
    what a great disappointment this movie was. a totally unrealistic and poorly directed movie i am a die hard Leonardo fan but this was the worst movie i have seen him in. my wife and i have watched nearly ten thousand movies together over the years. we have only ever walked out of three movies. the great Gatsby was the third.

the camera shot changes were so fast they hurt the eyes
    and the whole movie was a cross between a poor melodrama and a and a badly produced farce. after enduring one hour and ten minutes of over stimulation and a care less attitude from the actors, we decided to leave.

for a movie that promised so much, it delievered very little. even the great Leonardo DiCaprio seemed disinterested in his part. he particularly appeared reluctant to deliever his lines when the included the words old sport.
  14. Aug 31, 2013
    Disgraceful, distasteful and every other adjective that means appalling, and that still wouldn't be enough to describe this movie. Leo was flat out embarrassing. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
  15. Jun 25, 2013
    Here's my review: i am not going to see this even if it comes out on a $2 DVD sale at BigW. It reminds me of the movie Australia, overlong, boring and self indulgent, it assumes its own importance will draw me in. I haven't seen Australia either.
  16. Nov 15, 2013
    This is probably the most uninteresting movie. You shouldn't put newer music in a movie that's supposed to take place in 20's, the music threw everything off. Yeah the movie should only be partially like the book but since the book is a really good classic you guys screwed everything up. Leonardo dicaprio is an amazing actor and is good in this movie but the rest of actors is just a no.
  17. Jun 9, 2013
    Despite a brilliantly vibrant cast, The Great Gatsby is merely an intoxicated image of 1920's extravagance and a poor interpretation of the classic we know and love.
  18. Jun 2, 2013
    The Great Gatsby: Maybe it’s like caviar, an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire, but I didn’t care for “Gatsby.” I didn’t like the book in high school or college, I didn’t care for the re-read last month, and I didn’t much care for the movie. Daisy Buchannan was nicely cast (cute but perfectly shallow) but everyone else was a cardboard cutout, and the movie was overwrought: “Gatsby” didn’t need truckloads of CGI, and loading it up as they did made it seem like a comic book. It was pretty to look at but, seriously, when they stopped at Wilson’s Texaco station I was waiting for Batman to slowly settle in the background. There were some highlights though: Daisy and Nick dancing to the heavy downbeat of the Wurlitzer and the image collage of Gatsby and Daisy together, shot in sepia, like framed portraits from the 1920s. Other than that, fodder for the 3D generation. Two and a half stars from this old codger. Expand
  19. Nov 3, 2013
    There is little of redeeming value in this flick. It made me nostalgic for the version with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow and the critics weren't very kind to that one either.
  20. Jun 26, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann turns everything he touches into Las Vegas. Fitzgerald's curtains billowing in the breeze become Salome's seven veils; Gatsby's expensive shirts are flung about like confetti. DiCaprio alone emerges with honor. Some of the supporting players seem to have come from The Addams family (Jordan Baker) or Bollywood (Meyer Wolfsheim). There's a difference between expansive and crass--it's not heeded here. Rock bottom. Collapse
  21. Mar 7, 2014
    This film adaption of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, The Great Gatsby, is about a man in the 1920s trying to win back the woman he loves. This version is a cartoon with real life actors - everything super brightly colored and sporting more special effects than a Star Wars movie, much of it very fake looking. Gatsby's home when shot from the exterior is so obviously computer generated it's shocking. There's plenty of blue screen (or green screen these days) that is about as obvious as can be, with the lighting on the actor standing in front of the green screen not matching the lighting in the scene projected behind him on the green screen. It might as well be a Godzilla movie from the 60s at those moments. You might wonder why they felt the need for so many effects. The camera whizzes around Long Island over and under elevated tracks in Manhattan, almost all of which (both Manhattan and Long Island) appear computer generated, so much like a computer game I felt like readying my controller to start controlling the main character. It's a miracle that amidst all this crazy visual jazz, that the story's basic outline (because that is all there is here; just a skeleton of the plot) doesn't get lost. That was a feat and for that I give it 1 star out of 10.

The movie does calm down in that last half hour and become closer to something normal visually, but by then I was tired of watching. Add to this the bizarre use of hip hop and other music not of the period (Jay-Z and Beyonce; that's Jay Z's ego ruining the movie, as he's a producer of this catastrophe) and you get the impression that this was made by an extremely insecure story teller who had no faith in his audience or in his abilities to capture their attention simply by telling story. Maybe he didn't have faith in his actors. Whatever the cause, the director or whoever called the shots, decided that rendering the story well wasn't enough without overstuffing the production with candy colored effects and noise ad nauseam. The result is that, instead of being drawn into the story, you are constantly pushed out by the weird over-the-top distractions. It's like watching a Shakespeare play while someone constantly lights of fireworks in front of the production. What an ordeal! You think it's innocent enough - just spending a couple hours watching a movie - but by the time it's over you feel like you've been in some kind of two hour accident or a small war. You feel damaged. I recommend instead the novel, which is quite beautifully written.
  22. Jun 11, 2013
    Far too much style over too little substance, The Great Gatsby is a muddled mess of a film. Characters dont engage and the tone of the film never settles. Despite being set in 1920s, it never tries to be a period piece which surely defeats the purpose? Some people may like it but you could have easily set the film in the modern age (which would play well against the current financal backdrop) but with the style of the 20s.

I'll put the above down to my personal preference, but that doesnt excuse some of the other problems with the film. The acting is flat as hell with Dicaprio being the only one to emerge with any kind of display. Tobey McGuire is simply terrible, never getting across he's characters own descent. He is simply there to narrate. Mullegan has her moments but I dont find her a good fit for the role. As for the rest, I get the feeling they've been instructed to over act. Or at least I hope they have.

For a film which is so much in love with its own cleverness and style, its amazing how dull this really is. Over long and over produced, its certainly not a film I could recommend.
  23. MTP
    May 26, 2013
    Baz, it worked for Moulin Rouge a really great movie but once is enough, be creative that is what you get paid for otherwise you could just do Fast and Furious #7 #22. There is so much to the story but hokey photography, 3D effects and a lamed out screen play leaves one looking for the end. Once again DiCaprio shows his depth in this one still can’t act, never could doubtful that he ever will. DiCaprio is like so many other mono dimensional “actors” that are only able to play parts that don’t require them to act just play themselves in front of the camera. Tom Cruise, John Wayne and Ashton Kutcher just to name a few. One more thing; what is with the Rap music in a 1920’s film? If you like supporting crappy, ridiculous, unimaginative (remember this is just a Moulin Rouge feel rip-off) Hollywood movies and pretty boy actors, then please throw you money away. Expand
  24. Jun 27, 2013
    The film swaps the tender poetry of the book for snappy, breezy gloss, and is further tarnishes the classic with the cartoony CGI settings.
    And Baz's casting of Daisy, Gatsby's obsession: Not so Great.
  25. Jul 6, 2013
    Soul-less, overly extravagant, and adorned with nauseating rap music, this relatively poor interpretation of an all-time favourite American classic succeeds in disappointing any hopeful viewer.
  26. Sep 29, 2013
    I've read the book and absolutely hated this movie. its just some over-polished, badly paced, and poorly acted piece of trash. i couldn't care less about the characters, they all felt so disconnected to the movie, they all felt sooo fake. and what about those party scenes where everybody just spontaneously spazzes out to some "hip tuuunes" that did nothing but SUCK. all this combined spiraled this movie into an unbearable 2h c***fest Expand
  27. Sep 15, 2013
    The film is an extended, almost annoying than the boring. Uneventful, low scenario. Anyone who does not wait to see more. I did not like. I do not recommend it!
  28. Nov 30, 2013
    A letdown to say the least. The first 20 minutes of the film is a rushed mess. The visuals and cinematography, however, are spectacular and keep the film afloat. It's just unfortunate that a movie should have to rely on it.
  29. Jan 2, 2014
    F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" is undeniably one if the greatest novels in American literature, and one of my personal favourites. I was thrilled to find out that the book was being adapted into big budget movie, and I thought that Casting Leo as Gatsby was brilliant.... I was so disappointed with the film. The acting was spot on, and the cinematography was impressive; however, the directing was horrible. Also, the most iconic moments in the book were cut short and reduced into a music video. What the hell was Baz thinking? I'll rate it a one for Leo and Carey Expand
  30. Jul 5, 2014
    I believe modernizing "The Great Gatsby" was a huge mistake, because precise period detail plays a very important role in Gatsby's story. Using modern hip-hop and R&B songs obviously won't give you a glimpse of the roaring 20s. Casting Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway seems wrong as well; his character is supposed to be the one any viewer could identify with, (Because in the book he is the POV character) but "Peter Parker" obviously does not have the skills to do that.

All in all with less whining - The quality of "The Great Gatsby" is mixed to negative.
  31. Aug 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Film is such a gift by science and a chance to take the flat page and make it truly alive in sight and sound and mood, this movie reminds me as a child of my wonderment in seeing my first pop up picture book, and after a fleeting wonderment, just wanting to rip the image out to see if it does anything else.

Daisy is not worth Jay's efforts and pain - a failure in casting, portrayal, she's a non entity, she's not aloof, she's not animated, nor desirable in any way, we don't need to care about Daisy, but we need to see why Jay does love her, not a hint of why.

Leonardo offers the only window into his love for Daisy, the fear in his face when he stands at the open door drenched by the rain.

Nick, supposed to drive the story for us, and make us see inside Jay's soul....Tobey Maguire another epic miscast, the character of Nick needs to have a voice, and make us care and feel a loss when Jay dies, make us feel sad when no one attends his funeral, I just kept worrying about the autumn leaves getting in the pool and hoping someone would drain it before winter.

When someone has already done the hard work of writing a story for you....there is no excuse for screwing it up.

A fantastic failure at best
  32. Sep 20, 2014
    A magnificent and beautiful film to watch, The Great Gatsby captures the opulence but little else.

I purposely did not reread the book prior to watching the movie, having last read it some ten years ago, wanting to give Baz Luhrmann as much leniency toward a successful interpretation as possible. Even still, I recalled dialogue and characters torn from the book and it sounded wrong.
    The storyline is simplified into a doomed and tragic love story when it is, in fact, more complex. I recall traveling with Nick Carraway to the parties, at first drunk by the wealth and extravagance. But, then, like Nick, disillusioned as the characters’ true faults become clearer as you are able to see past their lavish lifestyles, all the while feeling like an outsider due to the social divide. This growth is virtually nonexistent in the Baz Luhrmann invention.

Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan, captured the vulnerability and desperate desire for love without becoming some feeble caricature. Though I recall disliking Daisy because she was indecisive, self-absorbed and therefore almost seemed manipulatively aware of the trouble she centers. Mulligan is the only one who produces a fully thought out character; all other characters from F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel are shells. Joel Edgerton’s Tom Buchanan is an arrogant brute throwing his stature and prestige around, but there is little else. Tobey Maguire does a good job as a narrator but his Nick Carraway is half-formed; pliable and weak instead of easy-going and optimistic though slightly naïve. Jay Gatsby and Leonardo DiCaprio are mystifying, but not the ruthless man, startlingly, unwaveringly obsessive toward attaining what he wishes.

The sets and costumes are engrossing, intoxicating and wonderfully garish. The music is fun and modern yielding a transportive film. It is a great story, great film, but not the one F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote.

More reviews can be found at our website.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Even when the movie's not working, its style fascinates. That "not working" part is a deal breaker, though — and it has little to do with Luhrmann's stylistic gambits, and everything to do with his inability to reconcile them with an urge to play things straight.
  2. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    May 27, 2013
    What Luhrmann makes intoxicating is a sense of place – the houses, the rooms, the city, the roads – and the sense that all this is unfolding in a bubble like some mad fable. Where he falters is in persuading us that these are real, breathing folk whose experiences and destinies can move us.
  3. Reviewed by: Jane Crowther
    May 20, 2013
    Gatsby fans will be unoffended yet untransported, but soundtracks will sell, DiCaprio will be on bedroom walls again and new readers may discover the book - which is no bad thing.