7.2

1. Aug 17, 2013
    This is a film that takes a while to get into the story although the visuals are constant like all of Baz Lurhmann's work. I do wish there was more character development and the film was a little shorter, but overall a solid effort. B
  2. May 18, 2013
    The movie was long, tedious and Jay-Z's music in 1912. The actors have done their respective roles well but the story was weak. I don't understand "what is this love about?"
  3. Jun 1, 2013
    To much party scenes, 3D traveling shots and not enough dialogue and dept in each character. And every time they seem to be getting to the core of some meaningful revelation, the voice over appears to take you far away from the scene and its climate. I wouldn't call it bad storytelling, but the entire movie seems to slip through your fingers and splash in a thousand colorful 3d-cameraTo much party scenes, 3D traveling shots and not enough dialogue and dept in each character. And every time they seem to be getting to the core of some meaningful revelation, the voice over appears to take you far away from the scene and its climate. I wouldn't call it bad storytelling, but the entire movie seems to slip through your fingers and splash in a thousand colorful 3d-camera movements on to the ground. I had high expectations, and there were only a few moments in which this were matched. Expand
  4. May 18, 2013
    The scenery is beautiful, but Maguire becomes annoying fast. The movie jumps around between scenes with no real transitions. Very difficult to stay interested.
  5. May 11, 2013
    It's first act is certainly aimless and unbearably frantic, but the rest of "The Great Gatsby" endures as an emotionally involving and thematically thought-provoking piece.
  6. May 11, 2013
    The set pieces are great. Exactly what I imagined when I read the book. The acting is pretty solid. But the overuse of CGI (on things as simple as rain on a dock) and heavy music take away from the movie. I don't hate the film, but I didn't like it either. I literally nothing this movie.
  7. May 19, 2013
    The new Gatsby tries to center itself on visual masterpiece, costume design, and other technical categories that it forgets to spend time on acting, direction, and greatness making this classic plot go uneven and present possibly the worst performance of Tobey McGuire fairly good career.
  8. May 17, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is a beautiful novel and while adapted to a film, it became visually beautiful. However, for some mystical reason the visual did not coincide well with the plot or the narrative. I was hearing the story from the narrator as oppose to seeing it. Close to the end I decided to shut my eyes and hear the story because it was the visuals were frankly redundant althoughThe Great Gatsby is a beautiful novel and while adapted to a film, it became visually beautiful. However, for some mystical reason the visual did not coincide well with the plot or the narrative. I was hearing the story from the narrator as oppose to seeing it. Close to the end I decided to shut my eyes and hear the story because it was the visuals were frankly redundant although spectacular. The fact that Jay Z executive produced this film is very obvious from when you hear Jay Z's music like you're at his concerts, it got too repetitive for me regardless of the quality of the actual music. Overall, Great Gatsby was unable to give us a full experience without one sense blinding the other. Expand
  9. May 13, 2013
    It is now apparent that F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel The Great Gatsby does not translate well to the big screen. The acting was perfectly fine but the story, as classic as it may be, can simply not be made into a decent major motion picture.
  10. May 16, 2013
    Visually striking, but a bit slow, and too long. The story did seem to lack depth and felt hollow. The use of modern rap and other asynchronous music in the soundtrack was noticeably off-putting, inappropriate, and killed suspension of disbelief. Better than the earlier versions, but still failed to have significant depth. All glitter and flash makes Gatsby a dull boy.
  11. May 10, 2013
    All of the ambiguity and thoughtfulness that is required to read 'The Great Gatsby' is thrown out of the window with characters' blatant explanations of symbols, ideas and character development.
  12. May 13, 2013
    too long by 45 minutes and slow, very slow. once again they focus on the mega parties instead of the characters, as a result the acting did not seem to be explore real human dimensions, two dimsional instead of really being fleshed out.

of course the green light is so important, but they show it so many times that it lost all impact. what i did like was that Gatsby is just as

what i did like was that Gatsby is just as corrupt and delusional as everyone else. of course that makes Nick's line at the end pretty stupid, "your worth more than all the rest put together".
  13. May 11, 2013
    I wasn't sure what to expect, but my expectations were relatively high. They were high however for Luhrmann's "thing" and here he frankly walks a pretty straight and narrow. The movie is a solid "good" movie, wonderful costumes, acting/casting... but it never really took off the way I imagined the director would make it.
  14. Jun 9, 2013
    Despite a brilliantly vibrant cast, The Great Gatsby is merely an intoxicated image of 1920's extravagance and a poor interpretation of the classic we know and love.
  15. Jun 2, 2013
    The Great Gatsby: Maybe it’s like caviar, an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire, but I didn’t care for “Gatsby.” I didn’t like the book in high school or college, I didn’t care for the re-read last month, and I didn’t much care for the movie. Daisy Buchannan was nicely cast (cute but perfectly shallow) but everyone else was a cardboard cutout, and the movie was overwrought:The Great Gatsby: Maybe it’s like caviar, an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire, but I didn’t care for “Gatsby.” I didn’t like the book in high school or college, I didn’t care for the re-read last month, and I didn’t much care for the movie. Daisy Buchannan was nicely cast (cute but perfectly shallow) but everyone else was a cardboard cutout, and the movie was overwrought: “Gatsby” didn’t need truckloads of CGI, and loading it up as they did made it seem like a comic book. It was pretty to look at but, seriously, when they stopped at Wilson’s Texaco station I was waiting for Batman to slowly settle in the background. There were some highlights though: Daisy and Nick dancing to the heavy downbeat of the Wurlitzer and the image collage of Gatsby and Daisy together, shot in sepia, like framed portraits from the 1920s. Other than that, fodder for the 3D generation. Two and a half stars from this old codger. Expand
  16. Jun 11, 2013
    Far too much style over too little substance, The Great Gatsby is a muddled mess of a film. Characters dont engage and the tone of the film never settles. Despite being set in 1920s, it never tries to be a period piece which surely defeats the purpose? Some people may like it but you could have easily set the film in the modern age (which would play well against the current financalFar too much style over too little substance, The Great Gatsby is a muddled mess of a film. Characters dont engage and the tone of the film never settles. Despite being set in 1920s, it never tries to be a period piece which surely defeats the purpose? Some people may like it but you could have easily set the film in the modern age (which would play well against the current financal backdrop) but with the style of the 20s.

I'll put the above down to my personal preference, but that doesnt excuse some of the other problems with the film. The acting is flat as hell with Dicaprio being the only one to emerge with any kind of display. Tobey McGuire is simply terrible, never getting across he's characters own descent. He is simply there to narrate. Mullegan has her moments but I dont find her a good fit for the role. As for the rest, I get the feeling they've been instructed to over act. Or at least I hope they have.

For a film which is so much in love with its own cleverness and style, its amazing how dull this really is. Over long and over produced, its certainly not a film I could recommend.
  17. Jun 2, 2013
    This movie is the sama as Romeo Juliet and Moulin Rouge (Spoilers) come on in The Great Gatsby he die's too ,we see Leonardo DiCaprio ,die's in lot's of movies.
  18. Oct 20, 2013
    la película avanza con paso firme en los primeros veinte minutos pero cuando llega el momento en que uno de verdad se da cuenta cual es la trama central de la pelicula uno como espectador pierde toda esperanza que la pelicula se vuelva mas interesante
  19. May 13, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is known as one of the greatest pieces of literature ever to be written. It holds a special place in many people's hearts and that goes without needing an explanation. I have read the book, I loved the book, and if you haven't read the book, see this movie.

I think that this movie is very hard to keep on a separate scale as the book. I mostly try to view movie adaptations as a separate piece than the book because I know it will never live up, but this one made that very hard because this was the book. This movie was a straight up copy of the book and that is one of the reasons I disliked it. It literally takes exact quotes from the book and adds them to the film, actually almost all the dialogue are quotes from the book. If you have ever had to do a book report on a book you really didn't want to read, you would have thought to just watch the movie, right? Most of the time this doesn't work because of the filmmakers creativity making the story a bit different to fit modern audiences. You could have easily just watched this movie for your high school book report and gotten an A.

I think there is merit in changing the story a bit and tweaking it to maybe suit a larger audience. But when you just take a book and than just simply make a movie out of it, it takes away the spirit of that source material. Although this movie sure was ambitious, it lacked the spirit of the book that made it so endearing.

Now, if you take that out of the picture, I can talk to you about why I didn't hate The Great Gatsby. This movie never did seize to entertain. It held my attention the entire time and the visuals were fantastic. I also was impressed by the acting. That is for sure the highlight of this movie and especially from Leo Dicaprio. This guy is fantastic! I think he is one of the best in the business right now and it shows. He can take any script and turn it into enough material to give an amazing performance. Put Blood Diamond and J. Edgar into account. Without his great performances, Blood Diamond would be at the very bottom of the barrel and J. Edgar would be long forgotten by now (although it kind of already is). Leonardo Dicaprio saves is by giving us the old, "old sport" we've come to know and love.

The Great Gatsby was all in all, okay. It had some great visual flare and it was bombastic, but it stuck too close to the source material and made it out to be somewhat of a chore at times. It also lost some of the zest that made the book so incredible. The tension in the scenes where Gatsby and Tom are really getting into each others skin just didn't have the same tension the book had. But with the great performances, it was enough to bring this movie back from the bottom and save this one from oblivion.
  20. May 28, 2013
    I must first state that the book is worth a read and delves deeper into the films themes, it is also simply a fantastic book.
    The film plays heavily upon the romance side of the story losing some of the other themes, that being said it is a bad thing, cinematic-ally it gives the audience a focus point and they are not lost within the subtext. It also blends modern music brilliantly within the film. The acting from most of the cast was triple AAA performances. Brilliant set pieces yet with an apparent reliance of CGI in some scenes, makes some of it feel visually fake.

What i felt truly let down the film was the pacing and poor editing, with some bad camera work which ruined a few key night scenes, something you wouldn't expect from Luhrmann. The car sequence in which Nick and Gatsby are going to the barbers, oozed lack luster editing work in which it is so apparent the dialogue was edited over, i thought the projectionist had messed up.

Overall though the film is a simulating experience with a brilliant cast and a good return of Toby Maguire. Its a great discussion piece between people commenting on Gatsby's motives and their views.
  21. Sep 11, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is a novel that will forever exemplify the glamour and style that was the roaring twenties. The recent movie portrayed this culture in a way that almost made the viewers nostalgic of the time period. The costume and set design were so over the top with the sparkles and classic flappers dresses the women looked spoiled in glamour; we as 21st century viewers sat in awe andThe Great Gatsby is a novel that will forever exemplify the glamour and style that was the roaring twenties. The recent movie portrayed this culture in a way that almost made the viewers nostalgic of the time period. The costume and set design were so over the top with the sparkles and classic flappers dresses the women looked spoiled in glamour; we as 21st century viewers sat in awe and jealousy of what seemed such carefree, lavish, and exciting time. Watching the movie ignorant to the novel allowed for people to view it in awe rather than disappointment.
    From book to box office, The Great Gatsby will never be able to be properly portrayed into a film. The novel requires so much analysis of characters and subtleties, that a film simply can not require that much thought from viewers. Being able to think about what made Gatsby so rich and confident to outsiders, yet so self-conscious and sad in reality is something only readers can understand. Deciding how to feel about how easy going Nick was in dealing with Gatsby’s demands makes the reader second-guess any previous view of Gatsby. Accepting how willing Daisy was to betray her husband is a controversy that must be analyzed to accept. These are all things that a reader can take time to think about rather than the specific time that a movie runs on. The movie does not allow for the appropriate appreciation for the story that is The Great Gatsby.
  22. Nov 30, 2013
    A letdown to say the least. The first 20 minutes of the film is a rushed mess. The visuals and cinematography, however, are spectacular and keep the film afloat. It's just unfortunate that a movie should have to rely on it.
  23. Jan 1, 2014
    It's not the performances that are bad, it's the idea and story itself. It just isn't interesting, it's painfully boring, and Baz Luhrmann made it even worse, because after the first 20 minutes of lights and music, the rest is extremely boring.
  24. Nov 14, 2013
    This is a very mixed movie.

On one hand, the performances are great, with the exception of Tobey Maguire who got tiresome after a while, especially in the narrating scenes. The art direction is fantastic. It really captures the decadence and excess of that decade. The modern music soundtrack is a hit and miss. On the other hand, the film just felt all over the place. The editing is
    This is a very mixed movie.

On the other hand, the film just felt all over the place. The editing is very fast. While that's a good thing in the party scenes (which were my favorite), it wasn't in the intimate ones, where you need to slow down and give room for the characters to breathe in.

There lies the movie's ultimate problem: it successfully portrayed the age in which the story takes in, but not the story and characters themselves.
  25. Jun 3, 2013
    I both like and hate The Great Gatsby. How? Why let me explain! The first half of the film basically relies on too much of modern rap music, annoying close ups and bizarre sequences that feel like the film itself is on acid. Not only are those a problem, but also the film begins to fall into campy territories with unintentionally funny moments and over-the-top acting. But later on in theI both like and hate The Great Gatsby. How? Why let me explain! The first half of the film basically relies on too much of modern rap music, annoying close ups and bizarre sequences that feel like the film itself is on acid. Not only are those a problem, but also the film begins to fall into campy territories with unintentionally funny moments and over-the-top acting. But later on in the film, the flaws of the first half begin to fade (though they reappear sometimes) and the film starts to feel more like a 1920s drama film rather than an over-the-top bizarre stage play music video. The film, to be honest, didn't need to be as visually impressive as it is and the 3D, though good at times, didn't need to be present. Besides a pretty robotic performance from Carey Mulligan, the acting was often solid, though every actor and actress had their fair-share of over-the-top and campy moments. In the conclusion, The Great Gatsby is a visually dazzling and a decent movie, though self-indulgent and not at all great. Collapse
  26. Sep 2, 2014
    The critics truly were too harsh with this gem--it is always difficult to adapt such a beautiful novel as this, but Baz Luhrmann has created such a stunning interpretation.
  27. Jul 21, 2013
    Some books should not be made into films. I have always believed The Great Gatsby is one of them. But, this film does a good job making a modern day adaptation of it. If you know the book, you have to stretch your mind a bit to envision the characters. I thought Leo as Gatsby was a good casting move as he is solid. And although I am not a fan of Tobey he does a good job as Carraway asSome books should not be made into films. I have always believed The Great Gatsby is one of them. But, this film does a good job making a modern day adaptation of it. If you know the book, you have to stretch your mind a bit to envision the characters. I thought Leo as Gatsby was a good casting move as he is solid. And although I am not a fan of Tobey he does a good job as Carraway as well. But, if you like the movie, read the book. Expand
  28. May 19, 2013
    This movie has me so torn. Some things I just loved about this story. Other things really distracted and annoyed me. Overall a good film. I loved the scenery. The scenes of them in the city with the contrast turned up on the color made me feel like I was watching a 60 year old movie in a good way. On the other hand the Beyonce and other Hip-Hop songs were well not well contrived. Good theThis movie has me so torn. Some things I just loved about this story. Other things really distracted and annoyed me. Overall a good film. I loved the scenery. The scenes of them in the city with the contrast turned up on the color made me feel like I was watching a 60 year old movie in a good way. On the other hand the Beyonce and other Hip-Hop songs were well not well contrived. Good the way the city is set up with the labor class supporting the upper class was done in an almost cartoonish way that was very beautiful. The acting was great and the actress playing Daisy steals every scene she is in. The omissions from the original story Bad. Overall a good pretty looking movie that you will forget about in a few weeks. Expand
  29. Aug 24, 2013
    The movie's overblown style (CG, 3D, and Jay-Z), chokes the very life out of any substance the story may hold. There's always something to distract the eye, but it becomes increasingly annoying and persistently rings hollow. There is a mystique about F. Scott Fitzgerald’s "The Great Gatsby" that has proved unattainable to filmmakers. Four previous attempts have fallen short of capturingThe movie's overblown style (CG, 3D, and Jay-Z), chokes the very life out of any substance the story may hold. There's always something to distract the eye, but it becomes increasingly annoying and persistently rings hollow. There is a mystique about F. Scott Fitzgerald’s "The Great Gatsby" that has proved unattainable to filmmakers. Four previous attempts have fallen short of capturing the book's projections of an America succumbing to the allure of money. Chalk this up as the fifth. Expand
  30. Jun 12, 2013
    Just like the book, the movie is slow in the beginning. However, it gradually picks up its pace and moves forward. I don't think this is how I imagined the book when I read it. I really do think Toby Maguire is miscast. Also, the movie just didn't feel like the book (I don't know how to say this). Overall, it was an okay movie.
  31. Jul 4, 2015
    Disappointing for Di Caprio as he is such a talented actor. I will begin by saying this film is very well shot and well lit, the party scenes were kind of interesting as well as a organised and 'modern infused' soundtrack. However, there were many negatives that I have to discuss. Daisy, was the worst kind of person, I won't spoil the ending but I must say that it ruined the entire filmDisappointing for Di Caprio as he is such a talented actor. I will begin by saying this film is very well shot and well lit, the party scenes were kind of interesting as well as a organised and 'modern infused' soundtrack. However, there were many negatives that I have to discuss. Daisy, was the worst kind of person, I won't spoil the ending but I must say that it ruined the entire film for me. This is so much fuss over one girl..I know the whole aspect over 'Daisy wants her daughter to be a fool because she needs a man' but it clings to it like flies to honey. The highlight of this 2 hour drive around New York with some complaining was Toby Maguire. The entire film he was a third wheel to all the **** going on and almost seemed to be the one thinking 'uh....are you serious?'. A very disappointing movie for me. Expand
  32. Jul 14, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is romantic comedy drama taking place in 1920's New York during prohibition. Following footpaths of Moulin Rouge, it is stacked with big-name actors, hip music and capturing visuals. If leaving out vibrant party scenes, cool soundtrack and sure-fire casting there is really much to The Great Gatsby.
  33. Jun 5, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann's films each have a distinct visual and aural quality to them. We are witness to vibrant colours, sweeping camera movements, sudden zooming in, and mystery which is supporting by a suitable soundtrack. These features translate well into the 1920's setting to transport the viewer into a bygone era. However despite all these positives even they cannot make a really long, slowBaz Luhrmann's films each have a distinct visual and aural quality to them. We are witness to vibrant colours, sweeping camera movements, sudden zooming in, and mystery which is supporting by a suitable soundtrack. These features translate well into the 1920's setting to transport the viewer into a bygone era. However despite all these positives even they cannot make a really long, slow and dull story any more watchable.

You may argue with me that I don't understand the story. I admit I haven't read the book and went into this completely unaware of what will occur; from what I've read this film is the closest to translate the book into a film correctly. That being said my impression of the metaphors and underlying meanings is a satire of the 1920's; i.e. too much drinking and partying, people talk rubbish, the wealthy have more money than sense, you can't recapture the past, parties are a ruse, and not a lot of meaningful activities occurred (this is what I left the cinema thinking about). That being said I didn't enjoy the story or the characters and was never convinced really liked, cared for or loved each other (which I understood as an intention of the author). Therefore if I understand the story correct then this is one of the most overrated stories (and novels) I’ve ever encountered. Why is it so memorable?

Praise must be given to the use of modern music instead of jazz as it is a clever juxtaposition. Most of us don't enjoy jazz music like those in the film do; we enjoy modern music mostly and its use bridges the gap between us. Therefore we understand how they feel and the parties which ensue.
    All actors involved were convincing in their roles but no-one here stood out. One thing I did notice was Nick Carraway mentioned several times that Gatsby was the most hopeful person he’d met. We never really saw his hope because he was both cool and calm, scared, worried or lashing out. This is either a failure of the script or a translation of the author’s intentions.

I applaud those involved for at least making this film watchable for the visual and aural aspects. This almost makes up for a long, slow and dull story.
  34. May 19, 2013
    Who is Gatsby? That's what Nick Caraway the films narrator tries to tell us over the course of this film. The film leans heavily on the source material with word for word translation from book to screen, which was fine for the most part but the delivery of some lines felt strange. The acting throughout is pretty decent by all involved. The visuals as at times are stunning especially withWho is Gatsby? That's what Nick Caraway the films narrator tries to tell us over the course of this film. The film leans heavily on the source material with word for word translation from book to screen, which was fine for the most part but the delivery of some lines felt strange. The acting throughout is pretty decent by all involved. The visuals as at times are stunning especially with the use of the 3d effects;though sometimes I felt it could have been used more, though at times it becomes clear that actors are stood in front of a green screen. The modern music was a nice touch making the setting feel more relevant to a modern audience. Again however it felt underused. I found the story was interesting and yet I couldn't quite see the underlying meanings of the story, so perhaps a prior knowledge of the story would be beneficial to viewing the film.
    Rating 6 out of 10
    All the pieces of the puzzle are there however for me they just don't fit properly.
  35. Aug 15, 2013
    Its great seeing my favorite literary character brought to the screen by a director I greatly admire, but I can’t say the sum is equal to the e parts. The Great Gatsby was a decent film, there was a lot that I liked and a lot that I just flat out didn’t like; all which stems back to the way it was directed. Like all Baz Luhrmann directed films, Baz Luhrman is the star of the show. HisIts great seeing my favorite literary character brought to the screen by a director I greatly admire, but I can’t say the sum is equal to the e parts. The Great Gatsby was a decent film, there was a lot that I liked and a lot that I just flat out didn’t like; all which stems back to the way it was directed. Like all Baz Luhrmann directed films, Baz Luhrman is the star of the show. His whimsical, almost animated, way of telling a story shines bright in this picture; from those wild camera angles, startling soundtrack, hasty editing, and flamboyant set designs and not to mention the eccentric performances he extracts from his cast. While much of his flare worked well for those party sequences, I felt the film itself was far too off-the-wall for its own good. I am hardly convinced that this was the direction he should have taken, but at no point in time did it leave me bored. Do not fret too much, the visuals did not get in the way of the romantic aspects of the story; as it was delivered to the screen in a respectable manner. What I was really bothered by was the way some of the intricacies of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s exquisite story were taken away, in favor of style and visual intricacies. I believe this hindered the dark social commentary on the wealthy and the nature their moral detachment; which was quite disappointing. But, what can I say… such style! Catherine Martin’s fantastic costumes and sets were characters of their own. Clearly my view on the film and the way it was made is very much mixed; but one thing I appreciated without a doubt was Leonardo DiCaprio’s performance as Gatsby. Gatsby’s bold attempt to reach for that green light and regain his love, Daisy, is noble yet foolish. However, you can’t help but relate to this character, as it’s sometimes easier to hold on to hope than to let go completely. While not perfect, DiCaprio made a fine Gatsby in my opinion. Expand
  36. Jun 5, 2013
    This movie is certainly fantastical, but there are a few things that throw it off course. First, I loved the way Baz Luhrmann portrayed the twenties, but I wanted the generational music to go with it. Who cares if it's Jay-Z? (Everybody). I wanted some jazz to finalize the theatricality of the cinematography! Also, this is Luhrmann's attempt at getting some oscar recognition, which heThis movie is certainly fantastical, but there are a few things that throw it off course. First, I loved the way Baz Luhrmann portrayed the twenties, but I wanted the generational music to go with it. Who cares if it's Jay-Z? (Everybody). I wanted some jazz to finalize the theatricality of the cinematography! Also, this is Luhrmann's attempt at getting some oscar recognition, which he won't get. The film simply doesn't hold together like an oscar contender. Having said that, the movie is worth checking out. #seeit Expand
  37. Jun 21, 2013
    Though the movie capture the extravagant parties and the fast-paced lifestyle of the Roaring Twenties, it ultimately falters when trying to touch on the book's symbolism. The conflict when it arrived felt rushed, and the resolution even sloppier. Some scenes excel in portraying the love and obsession Gatsby had, but when the movie ended, there was a feeling that there should've beenThough the movie capture the extravagant parties and the fast-paced lifestyle of the Roaring Twenties, it ultimately falters when trying to touch on the book's symbolism. The conflict when it arrived felt rushed, and the resolution even sloppier. Some scenes excel in portraying the love and obsession Gatsby had, but when the movie ended, there was a feeling that there should've been more. The casting of Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway, the unreliable, sometimes sarcastic narrator, did not help the movie's cause either. Although this is the best book adaptation, there is still much sought after. Expand
  38. Jul 6, 2013
    Soul-less, overly extravagant, and adorned with nauseating rap music, this relatively poor interpretation of an all-time favourite American classic succeeds in disappointing any hopeful viewer.
  39. Jul 27, 2014
    Glossy to where it's nauseating. A music track missing the era by at least eight decades. And bland performances from all with the exception of Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. It dragged on for at least thirty minutes. And the script is just as bland as the actors' acting. And too much color. Baz Luhrmann, you have s**t for talent.
  40. Nov 1, 2013
    I thought it was a mediocre movie. I'm not really disappointed but i must say it was not very authentic.
    Music was very very poorly chosen, totally failed for me there. Story was not very twisty nor was there anything really special. Costumes were good. To much PC animation, but i've expected that. Wouldn't buy the DVD/BD watch it for free some day on TV or something.
  41. Mar 3, 2014
    Luhrmann's attempt to modernise the story does come across overall as rather stilted. I can see how the purists would be annoyed at the lack of subtlety and how certain themes and characters are portrayed. As a cinematic piece however, the visuals, with some great editing in scenes, and certain performances hold this film together.
  42. Jul 5, 2014
    I believe modernizing "The Great Gatsby" was a huge mistake, because precise period detail plays a very important role in Gatsby's story. Using modern hip-hop and R&B songs obviously won't give you a glimpse of the roaring 20s. Casting Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway seems wrong as well; his character is supposed to be the one any viewer could identify with, (Because in the book he is theI believe modernizing "The Great Gatsby" was a huge mistake, because precise period detail plays a very important role in Gatsby's story. Using modern hip-hop and R&B songs obviously won't give you a glimpse of the roaring 20s. Casting Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway seems wrong as well; his character is supposed to be the one any viewer could identify with, (Because in the book he is the POV character) but "Peter Parker" obviously does not have the skills to do that.

All in all with less whining - The quality of "The Great Gatsby" is mixed to negative.
  43. Jul 7, 2014
    As I seen The Great Gatsby movie at my school, I find it pretty good. Though the only problem with this movie is the music. You see, the music wasn't fit in right. It was too modern. Especially with Jay-Z as the music producer. If he weren't producing rap music much, I would loved the movie even more. So go check it out if you hadn't seen it. It's a pretty good movie.
  44. Sep 20, 2014
    A magnificent and beautiful film to watch, The Great Gatsby captures the opulence but little else.

I purposely did not reread the book prior to watching the movie, having last read it some ten years ago, wanting to give Baz Luhrmann as much leniency toward a successful interpretation as possible. Even still, I recalled dialogue and characters torn from the book and it sounded wrong. The storyline is simplified into a doomed and tragic love story when it is, in fact, more complex. I recall traveling with Nick Carraway to the parties, at first drunk by the wealth and extravagance. But, then, like Nick, disillusioned as the characters’ true faults become clearer as you are able to see past their lavish lifestyles, all the while feeling like an outsider due to the social divide. This growth is virtually nonexistent in the Baz Luhrmann invention.

Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan, captured the vulnerability and desperate desire for love without becoming some feeble caricature. Though I recall disliking Daisy because she was indecisive, self-absorbed and therefore almost seemed manipulatively aware of the trouble she centers. Mulligan is the only one who produces a fully thought out character; all other characters from F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel are shells. Joel Edgerton’s Tom Buchanan is an arrogant brute throwing his stature and prestige around, but there is little else. Tobey Maguire does a good job as a narrator but his Nick Carraway is half-formed; pliable and weak instead of easy-going and optimistic though slightly naïve. Jay Gatsby and Leonardo DiCaprio are mystifying, but not the ruthless man, startlingly, unwaveringly obsessive toward attaining what he wishes.

The sets and costumes are engrossing, intoxicating and wonderfully garish. The music is fun and modern yielding a transportive film. It is a great story, great film, but not the one F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote.

More reviews can be found at our website.
  45. Mar 26, 2015
    The drama is tense and the romance is believable, but die to Luhmann's chaotic direction, the heart of the material gets lost along the way. At the end of the day, The Great Gatsby, is far from a masterpiece in many aspects, but at least it's a faithful tribute to the novel its based upon, which I supposed is all a big Gatsby fan can as for at this point.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Even when the movie's not working, its style fascinates. That "not working" part is a deal breaker, though — and it has little to do with Luhrmann's stylistic gambits, and everything to do with his inability to reconcile them with an urge to play things straight.
  2. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    May 27, 2013
    What Luhrmann makes intoxicating is a sense of place – the houses, the rooms, the city, the roads – and the sense that all this is unfolding in a bubble like some mad fable. Where he falters is in persuading us that these are real, breathing folk whose experiences and destinies can move us.
  3. Reviewed by: Jane Crowther
    May 20, 2013
    Gatsby fans will be unoffended yet untransported, but soundtracks will sell, DiCaprio will be on bedroom walls again and new readers may discover the book - which is no bad thing.