7.2

1. May 10, 2013
    Saw this when it opened. Had low expectations because of movie critics who obviously grew up in the wrong era. The quality of the book is revived perfectly; It's a period peace, but transcends period with its subtle hints of modern music and style. Every actor was perfectly cast. It's heavy use of Art Deco (my favorite architectural style) fills the screen with beauty that reaches for the heavens, however unattainable they were and still are.
    Gatsby looks to the past not with nostalgia, but with regret of what was and what will never be.

p.s. I am usually very anti-3d but this movies 3d really pulls you into the grandness of it all.
  2. May 11, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann really has outdone himself in this film. The cast is beautiful as is the script. The scenes are a visual feast. It is as if Luhrmann reached into Fitzgerald's vision of the 20's, pulled out the heart of it and merged it with what society is today, over nine decades later. Alongside personal strife, we see social inequality, abuse of drugs and alcohol, political and moral corruption, and the failure of financial institutions and their responsibility to people. This film will make you feel that these issues will always be relevant, and that not much changes from generation to generation.

The achingly romantic and hopeful Gatsby is played impeccably by DiCaprio. He has aged into a beautiful man while still possessing those boyish good looks. The beginning of the film has the viewer itching to see Gatsby and hear him speak, and when he finally appears he holds on and captivates throughout the film. The film may awaken something in you, a memory of when you were crazy in love with a person or in love with an idea for what your life should be. DiCaprio embodies a dream and makes you root for him, even though he is shown to be a liar and a man who is desperately trying to steal another's wife- all that does not matter because we see the gentle child-like frailty in him and identify with it. DiCaprio is an excellent actor and was perfect for the role.

I must say that I didn't think that Mulligan can pull the role of Daisy, who in my mind was supposed to be a flawless beauty. However, she didn't disappoint. It made Gatsby's love and desire for her even more fascinating- she was beautiful to him and that's all that mattered. Mulligan was able to play the spoiled and dazed rich girl well, while adding an emotional dimension to the character. Tobey Mcguire definitely held his own, and his story line had an interesting deviation from the novel which was enjoyable. All in all I think it is a must see this year for movie buffs.
  3. May 11, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann’s “The Great Gatsby,” is fairly accurate to the classic novel and keeps most of its themes intact. However, Luhrmann’s own flair adds a new dimension to the story. Visually this film is incredibly stunning. From grand sets to the detailed period dresses, this film is a treat for the eyes. Never once does it not take your breath away from its impressive scenery. Many people might be worried about the updated music, but there is nothing to fear. Jay-Z’s track works incredible well with the film and complements the era in which it is set.

The direction in this film is impeccable. The cinematography is marvelous and really lets the viewer absorb the sheer artistry that has gone into making this film. Luhrmann keeps a high level of energy throughout the film and the party sequences are choreographed and edited in a way that it makes you feel envious of not being apart of it. Editing in the film is seamless and really keeps the viewer engaged. A common criticism the film receives is that it is more style than substance, however, I must disagree. This modern interpretation doesn’t forget its themes and morals from the classic F. Scott Fitzgerald tale.

Performances are phenomenal by the entire cast. Carey Mulligan’s Daisy is every bit as careless as one would expect, but she also manages to show some complexity in her role. Tobey Maguire is a great avatar for us to take on as we enter this film. He is very much the viewer as he sees everything happening, but is ultimately helpless to change anything. The true standouts in the film are Joel Edgerton and Leonardo DiCaprio. Edgerton as Tom Buchanan brings a lot of personality to his character that I thought was absent in the book. He’s a bit more tender and more vulnerable, especially when he finds out his wife’s secret. The true award recognition worthy performance comes from DiCaprio’s Gatsby. He hones on being a respectable, but idealistically insane man. His performance is not only compelling, but also charming and quit hopeful. He truly deserves some recognition come Oscar season.

Overall, “The Great Gatsby” is a fantastically entertaining and enthralling film. It is horribly underrated as it is filled with awards worthy visuals, sets, costumes, direction, and performances. It is a great time at the movies for anyone that enjoys the classic novel or who haven’t even heard of it. Not only is this film dramatically satisfying, but also quite humorous and a spectacle like no other. I give it 4.5/5, a great adaptation of one of the greatest novels ever written.
  4. May 10, 2013
    I'm going to make this very simple for you. If you like the book, you'll like the movie. Why? It encompasses everything that makes the novel great. The script basically is the book, from the narration, to the dialogue, the the plot line. The magic of the book is brought to life by Baz Lurhmann's direction, and by the performances. We really get to see this fantastic world the same way we imagined Nick saw it, when we were reading the book. People complain about the style, and how it's too shallow, and goes out of its way to look good, but that's the point. Gatsby's fantastic life was completely shallow, but Nick didn't see that initially. I'm interested in hearing the opinion of someone who liked the book, but didn't like the movie, because I'd like to know what they were expecting. They must've read a different book than I did. Expand
  5. Jun 27, 2013
    After seeing this movie a second time, I began to like it even more, ultimately going back a total of 4 times. In my first viewing, I unfairly underrated this movie and wish to make amends to its creator. This movie is gorgeous. Acting of the 3 leading men is impeccable. DiCaprio brings to life a more deluded version of Gatsby than prior versions. His depiction felt off at first viewing, but after seeing the movie again it felt perfect. My apologies Baz Lurhmann. I think this movie should get all the academy awards except for the actress categories. Expand
  6. May 10, 2013
    I remember watching the trailer for this movie a year ago and expecting it to come out at Christmas. I just don't understand why the movie was delayed 6 months. But now that the movie is here I can personally say it was worth the wait. The Great Gatsby is a very beautiful story and well told through miraculous cinematography, some visuals and fantastic acting. Hands down, Leonardo DiCaprio is the heart and soul of the movie. I mean, he's just such a tremendous actor. It may not be his biggest and best role, but he still gives one hell of a performance (just as usual). There were some even some other great actors such as Joel Edgerton, Carey Mulligan and even Tobey Maguire. I honestly wasn't sure if I would like him in this movie but he actual is really good. But his best role for me will always be in "Brothers". The cinematography is definitely one of the things that impressed me the most. Cinematographer Simon Duggan really knows how to not only get great shots, but take you through the world of Jay Gatsby himself. The one thing I really don't understand is this. Why is there a 3-D release for this movie? I mean, it has those good shots, but honestly it doesn't need to be shot in 3-D. That's like making "The Notebook" in 3-D. It just doesn't work. But don't let that distract you from watching an (Oscar worthy) type-movie. If your going to go watch it, watch it in 2-D. But overall, it's a beautifully crafted story of drama and romance. Expand
  7. May 10, 2013
    I'll admit this is one of my favorite novels of all time. In my opinion it is THE great american novel. I think it encapsulates everything that is America. The excess, the lust for money, the shallowness of keeping up appearances, and people's admiration for those they deem successful.

I also think that Fitzgerald's novel stands the test of time and is just as relevant today. This movie
    captures the novel perfectly and hardly deviates from the book which is it's greatest strengths. The performance by DiCaprio as Gatsby is also out of this world. Don't listen to the critics, if you're a fan of the book you'll enjoy this movie. Expand
  8. May 10, 2013
    This movie was absolutely great, mainly for its screenplay and it staying true to the Gatsby storyline. It was enjoyable all the way through, DiCaprio was amazing as Gatsby, and all of the roles were well played. The music though was stunning and fit the mood, even if it wasn't all Jazz (Black 1920s music). Instead, cleverly they used Hip-hop (Modern day black music). Overall, if you have read, or not read the book, you should absolutely see this. Expand
  9. May 10, 2013
    Let us get the obvious out of the way: The Great Gatsby as the inspirational literature piece, is extremely better than this movie. But lets not kid ourselves. This movie was a damn good movie. An AMAZING movie. Upon seeing the trailer for this movie, I had high expectations and couldn't wait to see the movie. Reviews starting filing in and I couldn't understand it. Bad review after bad review. My expectations lowered. As you would expect. The movie starts and it sort of started slow to me and somewhat worried me, but the movie started to get going and I found myself enjoying it thoroughly. By the end, the tragedy, the romance, the broken relationships, the lies, deceit. It was pure emotion. These were truly the life and times of Jay Gatsby. The rise and fall of Jay Gatsby, if you will. It was extraordinary from start to finish. Nothing captivated me like this since Django Unchained last year. I will definitely see this movie again. I highly recommend this movie regardless if you're a fan of the book or haven't read the book at all and enjoy a good movie. Very good. Expand
  10. May 10, 2013
    Dude! This is the best movie of the summer!! I saw one of the best performances of Leonardo DiCaprio and the rest breaks too! I recommend to all!!
  11. May 11, 2013
    Perfection. Brought out every emotion from the book and then some. It may have left out or rearranged the details, but the heart and the idea of the book remained intact.
  12. May 14, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of "The Great Gatsby" isn't a disaster. Every frame is sincere. Its miscalculations come from a wish to avoid embalming a classic novel in "respectfulness" a worthy goal, in theory. It boasts the third most imaginative use of 3D I've seen recently, after "U2 3D" and "Hugo." It's a technological and aesthetic lab that has four or five experiments cooking in each scene. Even when the movie's not working, its style fascinates. That "not working" part is a deal breaker, though and it has little to do with Luhrmann's stylistic gambits, and everything to do with his inability to reconcile them with an urge to play things straight.
    If you've seen Lurhmann's "Strictly Ballroom," "Romeo Juliet" or "Moulin Rouge," or watched "Gatsby" trailers, you know what you're in for: an epic melodrama that fuses old-movie theatrics and subjective filmmaking, period music and modern pop, real sets and unreal landscapes, psychological drama and speeded-up slapstick.
    We see the book's Prohibition-era settings (East Egg and West Egg, New York City, and the sooty wasteland in between) through the eyes of the narrator, Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire), who's writing a memoir-confession from an asylum. This framing device is inferred from statements Fitzgerald made in "The Crack-Up," and "Gatsby" often refers to itself as a book, so even though it's not part of the source, it's hardly a blasphemous indulgence; still, it's one more buffer between viewer and story in a movie that already has plenty.
    This busywork might astonish if Lurhmann's heart were in it, but is it? The guests at Gatsby's party are too obviously directed, and there's no sense of escalation in the gatherings; from frame one, they're a Dionysian whirl of booze, lust and hero worship, minus the sense that that things are ebbing and flowing as they would at a real party. The CGI-assisted camera acrobatics feel obligatory. So do the anachronistic soundtrack mash-ups (modern hip-hop layered over ragtime piano, and so on).
    But in the film's dark second half, "The Great Gatsby" half-forgets its mandate to wow us and zeroes in on actors saying lines to one another in rooms. Once that happens, the Luhrmannerisms distract from the film's true heart: the actions and feelings of its characters. Luhrmann didn't set out to make a PBS-style, bare-bones adaptation, but there are times when it feels as though he wants to.
    Once you get past the movie's opening eruptions of visual excess hundreds of party guests boozing and hollering and doing the Charleston; CGI cityscapes that visualize 1920s New York by way of Warren Beatty's candy-colored "Dick Tracy"; a long expository talk between Gatsby and Nick in a careening computer-buffed roadster that moves as believably as the talking cab in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" "The Great Gatsby" settles into a traditional groove: scene, scene, montage, scene, burst of violence, moment of reflection. The movie wants to be a "kaleidoscopic carnival," to quote a phrase from the book's description of a Jay Gatsby party, but Luhrmann's instincts seem more traditional, even square, and the two impulses cancel each out. Once you've spent time with his cast, you understand why he was torn.
    DiCaprio's Gatsby is the movie's greatest and simplest special effect: an illusion conjured mainly through body language and voice. On the page, the character is so mysterious, so much a projection of the book's narrator, that you'd think he'd be as unplayable onscreen as Kurtz or John Galt; he eluded Alan Ladd and Robert Redford, the role's previous inhabitants. And yet DiCaprio makes him comprehensible and achingly real. The actor's choices drive home the idea that Gatsby is playing the man he wishes he were, and that others need him to be. We see the calculations behind his eyes, but we also believe that he could hide them from the other characters most of them, anyway.
    DiCaprio's acting evokes Nick's description of the human personality as "an unbroken series of successful gestures." Luhrmann cuts some scenes to make it seem as if the character really is omniscient as if he can see and hear for miles and read people's thoughts and feelings and DiCaprio plays these moments with a mix of inscrutability and delight, as if Gatsby knows something we don't, but is too clever to say precisely what. (He could play Superman.) When Gatsby's deceptions are revealed is an iconic performance maybe his career best.
    The rest of the cast is nearly as impressive. Nick Carraway is almost as much of an abstraction as Gatsby an audience surrogate, with touches of The Nice Guy Betrayed but Maguire humanizes him, just as DiCaprio does Gatsby.
  13. May 25, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is very beatiful movie. It has nice scenery, good cast and and unexpectedly, a good soundtrack. But there are some inconsistencies in the story, and the ending seems so tightened. It could be better. And of course, Leonardo DiCaprio is great.
  14. May 11, 2013
    It was a great movie with a fantastic performance by Leonardo DiCaprio. It is an emotional thrill ride that has you on the edge of your seat throughout nearly all of the movie.
  15. May 11, 2013
    'The Great Gatsby' was an absolutely fantastic movie! The story, acting, cinematics... everything was at the highest level and definitely shows a high production value. Best movie I've seen in a long time. I had mixed expectations coming in just based on some of the negative reviews I've heard but I honestly don't see why those even exist. I think what makes Gatsby a great film is that it is different. It's not your typical summer action movie. It's not your typical romantic love story. 'Gatsby' goes much deeper and further than the vast majority movies today tend to go. The acting and story really draw you in while the cinematic shots never cease to impress. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the film and highly recommend it to everyone. Just goes to show that when directors and writers actually try and stick to the source material instead of making their "improvements" you come out with a much better product. Expand
  16. May 11, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann really outdone himself with this one. Great honour to Fitzgerald for making a great movie out of a brilliant book. A don't get the negative reviews from the critics but I know they're unfair.
  17. May 30, 2013
    I thought this movie was wonderful! The book is one of my all-time favorites and the movie does the book great justice. I really like how the movie stayed on script with the book, the important elements of the book were portrayed within the movie. The acting was wonderful and each actor was perfectly placed in their role. Leo did a great job at Gatsby and the other actors and actresses did exceptionally well also. I really like how the director incorporated modern hip-hop in the movie instead of playing the traditional 1920's jazz that I assumed would have been in the movie. I would recommend this movie to everyone! Expand
  18. Jul 6, 2013
    One of the best movies I've seen this year. I f**king hate Toby Maguire but he didn't bother me in this. Leonardo Decaprio delivered another stellar performance, but this won't be the vehicle that gets him his oscar, which is disappointing, but he's still got a chance with The Wolf of Wall Street. 9.4/10
  19. Jul 4, 2013
    You must have read the book to enjoy this movie to its fullest. The visuals in this movie perfectly captures the emotion and complexity of the Fitzgerald's novel. Leonardo DiCaprio is Gatsby. He captures the aura and personality of Gatsby, but still expresses his characters emptiness. The whole cast complements Leo's acting. Baz topped his Romeo Juliet reinvention and has broken another cinema literature barrier. Collapse
  20. Jun 10, 2013
    This movie is a HUGE surprise walking in I thought this movie would be boring, but I got a really interesting movie with likable characters and stunning visuals Some over acting in some parts and the soundtrack of the movie could turn you off but if you stuck around Django Unchained you could handle this
  21. May 13, 2013
    With expectations of the flashy Roaring 1920s, I was certainly given the experience I wanted, albeit to a certain degree. Baz Luhrmanns style has certainly left a footprint in the way we visually enjoy a film, however I felt that the camera cuts to new angles and takes away from the film by a small margin. The Great Gatsby contains an excellent cast (With my money on Maguire winning Best Supporting Actor at next years Oscars) and a story that remains intact even with Luhrmanns visual flair. Like the book, Maybe this film will be appreciated with time. Expand
  22. May 13, 2013
    I think that, ultimately, The Great Gatsby is a success for Baz, and especially for the actors. Personally, I feel that Baz's over-the-top style works for the source material, where major themes include materialism, greed, and flaunting of wealth. I think that the movie does an amazing job of commenting on all of the social aspects that are discussed in Fitzgerald's novel. The only reason I could see people being upset about this film is because of the soundtrack. Personally, I loved the integration of old and new music, I think it is a good way to bring Gatsby to a moder audience and it shows how relevant the novel still is, but I could see where people would not agree. Besides the directing and scenic design, I also think that the acting was superb. DiCaprio did an amazing job portraying the complicated character that is Gatsby. Edgerton and Mulligan did a great job portraying the Buchanans. I also liked how many of the lines in the script came *directly* from the novel, for instance "Gatsby, What Gatsby?" is one of the most famous lines in literature, and I was excited to see that it was kept in, along with many others. Only two things really bothered me about the film. 1, the insistant words that showed up on screen. It would have been fine for one or two scenes, but it became annoying after a while in my opinion. And 2, the fact that Nick Carraway has discussions with a doctor throughout the film to write a book about Gatsby, I dont understand why it could not have been narrated without an excuse of an explanation, which was not in the original novel. Expand
  23. May 14, 2013
    Luhrmann's take on Gatsby is not perfect, the modern music mixed with the tradition is slightly distasteful, but in ways brings things up to date, while still keeping the traditional mystery that encompassed the roaring 20's. The camera work in the opening scenes is extremely fast paced, and full of stunning shots, yet it's reminiscent of the novel in this way. It begins as a fast paced piece of life and action, and slows down to capture it's essence. What really makes this Gatsby so fantastic is that is so accurately captures the spirit of the novel. The acting is superb, with Leonardo handing in a typical mesmerizing performance, while Toby Maguire stuns as Nick. Joel Edgerton and Carey Mulligan give the genuine nature of Tom and Daisy, while maintaining the vast carelessness of the two that's necessary for the magic. Lhurmann's masterpiece doesn't transport me back to the 20's, or to Gatsby's parties, but instead takes me into the heart of a man clung on hope, hope that tomorrow we WILL stretch our arms farther. That's where Lhurmann goes right, he captures the spirit of the novel, a feat that is worthy of praise. Expand
  24. Faz
    May 14, 2013
    There are a couple of classics that I've never read and this is one of them. That being said, I really enjoyed the cinematography, actors' performances, and the mixture of modern music with the world of the 1920s.
  25. Sep 22, 2013
    When I saw this movie, I had no idea what to expect. I mainly wanted to see this because of its ensemble cast, but after watching it, I can safely say it is so far 2013's best film. I found the story of the film to be pretty well written. It's very interesting, and with its fine acting, the film kept me off the edge of my seat, anticipating what will happen next. I have yet to read the book, so I have no idea how much it stays true to the source novel. The cast does a great job as their roles. Leonardo and Toby kill it as their roles, as they are the best actors in the entire film. The rest does great as well, though I think that some actors had potential to do more in the film. My favorite aspect of the movie is the visuals and the music. The film is visually exciting, as there are colors all over the place. this is best evident during the party scenes. The music is very catchy, and I constantly find myself humming along to the tunes this film has to offer. Really my only problem with this film certain scenes. I felt that there were a few scenes that were trying to go for something emotional to happen, but it never really got there, let alone didn't try to. For example, the scene where Tom and Myrtle break up could have gone somewhere in the film, but the characters never speak any dialogue again. Aside from these select scenes, The Great Gatsby is visually charming, well acted, and musically catchy, making up for what I believe is the best film of the year so far. Expand
  26. Jun 6, 2013
    I went into this movie thinking it would be alright because im not a fan of baz's but i had read the book so i saw it because i read the novel. this movie blew me away, the acting was excellent and perfectly picked for each part, the story great if you are into that kind of story like a romantic very dramatic one with little action but thats okay i felt like the modern music and style was a great addition to add to the movie. now comparison between the novel and the movie are just alike but with few changes to make it into a better movie based off the novel. the cinematography in the movie was great i loved the color or filter that baz's brought into this dark world it looked great and the 3d was ok but nothing exceptional. overall this was a very good movie that many people should see but dont expect a lot of action. Expand
  27. Aug 13, 2013
    the great gatsby was a excellent and great movie
    this is the best adaptation of fitzgerald's novel
    all the cast was excellent especially leonardo dicaprio and tobey maguire
  28. Jun 22, 2013
    Visually stunning, great pace and dramatization. IMO really gets to the core issues Fitzgerald had in mind. Makes you think about your own goals in life and what happiness really is.
  29. Jun 30, 2013
    Great film, everything about the movie was fascinating.. I was kept on edge until the ending which was a complete shock to me, I keep replaying scenes of the movie in my imagination, it's a very impressive film that was very compelling. I don't think my words are enough to express how great this film is, go watch it and experience the enjoyment for yourself. I am slightly upset by the number of people that didn't like this film, to say this film doesn't meet your standards is a joke. Expand
  30. Aug 25, 2013
    There's never been a film like this!!! A masterpiece!!!! One of the best films ever made, and one of Leo's best pictures!!!! Baz Luhrmann has a gift!!!!
  31. Aug 31, 2013
    As a reader of the F Scott Fitzgerald novel and watcher of the, Robert Redford, film The Great Gatsby I loved the new film. The New film only reinforced my admiration of this timeless story. Green Light
  32. Aug 13, 2013
    Exciting and thought-provoking. A talented cast, along with stunning visuals think Moulin Rouge capture the imagination and curiosity of its viewers. It kept me well at the edge of my seat, guessing and second guessing the characters involved. As the story unfolds, "ooo"s and "ahh"s are likely to escape your lips as it did mine.
  33. Oct 13, 2013
    I really didn't know what to expect when I watched this movie, but I can tell you I was at least pleased with the outcome. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire both did good performances as well. While the film provides an interesting look at the height of the "Roaring Twenties" and a devastating look into the dark side of the American dream, it's running time of nearly 21/2 hours and a near-constant bombardment of visual over-stimulation might make the film somewhat exhausting for some. Every bit as visually dazzling as one might expect with it's production, grand sets, scenery, and detailed costume designs. I personally feel that while this film doesn't necessarily belongs to the category of overblown, over-elaborate movies out there, it could have benefited from having a less dazzling tone. All that aside, the plot was good and I felt sad at the end for Gatsby. Whether or not the film is a satisfactory adaptation of the novel I can't say because I haven't read the book.

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows and mark this review as helpful.
  34. Jan 2, 2014
    This film is full of brilliant actors, a story told in a very good way. The setting is beautiful. The screen play is amazing. I can watch this film time and time again.
  35. Jun 1, 2013
    I don't ever give scores like these. But, this is indeed an exception.
    It's not a movie for everybody, but nonetheless, everybody should see it at least once. It is a great movie, period.
    Just go watch it and don't loose any more time, it's just Unique, and when you'll leave the seat, i guarantee that you'll get out of there with your heart full.
  36. May 20, 2013
    I was fully prepared to dislike this film. But I was drawn into it, and carried along moment to moment. I even found it moving. And I can't stick LDC usually! The film makers did a great job. It takes a while until you get a real scene, but when you do Daisy and Gatsby meeting for the first time at Nic's house it's extremely charming and very funny. I think the critics should take a bath on this one. It's a great romantic movie, no doubt about it. Expand
  37. May 16, 2013
    Very well made movie and an excellent modern homage to F. Scott Fitzgerald's American classic.

This movie also makes EXCELLENT usage of 3D; probably the best we'll see this year even with Iron Man 3.

Leo acts very well and Toby McGuire was a very believable character in a fantastical rendition of 1920s America.

I recommend people see it.
  38. May 20, 2013
    I have not a fan of anything captured on film never revisited twice serials, films, or something else, but at the Gatsby I want to go a second time. Once again savor the views of New York, the story interpreted Luhrmann again. This is the best thing I've ever watched, this is the best interpretation of the book on the big screen
  39. Mar 19, 2014
    I liked this much more than I thought I would. The Great Gatsby takes you to another world.It has a magical feeling.I never read the book and enjoyed it.
  40. Jan 3, 2014
    This film is nothing less than a tour de force. Such painstakingly perfect detail in every scene. Even if you haven't read the book, it is a flawless piece of movie-making, so much more than the sum of its individual parts and characters. Who else but Baz Luhrmann could deliver such breath-taking imagery no scene is without impeccable attention to detail. The soundtrack is brilliant and original and highly evocative. This movie gets better and better with every viewing Expand
  41. Aug 10, 2014
    I finally decided to see this film, despite its low ratings. I was pleasantly surprised and can now safely say that I understand why the novel is such a central piece of American literature.

As for the film, the acting is top notch, and the only thing I really disliked is the modern music. Outside of that, I thought it was a very profound story with some great messages and a fascinating
    central character. Expand
  42. May 15, 2013
    (most of) THE CRITICS WERE WRONG. it's a long movie, and a well thought out movie. everyone involved with this movie put in a lot of hard work and should be applauded for the result. the music worked, the 3d worked, the time travel to another era worked. it was well worth it and I'm glad i went against the poor reviews.
  43. May 25, 2013
    The adaptation of the story which I don't actually know. Excellent soundtrack and scenery of America of the early 20th century. The effect of that movie is in a while after watching.
  44. May 22, 2013
    This movie looks exactly like Moulin Rouge transported to the 1920s in New York. It's a beautiful feast that those of us who are under thirty will identify with and love. It is not an uplifting riotous good story. It's Fizgerald, updated and green screened. And I loved it.
  45. May 25, 2013
    THE GREAT GATSBY
    The Great Gatsby stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, and Joel Edgerton. It was directed by Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge!, Romeo Juliet, Australia).
    This film is an adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's famed novel The Great Gatsby. It is the story of Nick Carraway (Maguire), an aspiring writer, who moves to New York to work as a bondsman. Nick becomes
    intrigued by his mysterious and wealthy neighbor, Jay Gatsby (DiCaprio). Gatsby invites Nick to one of his lavish parties in order to reconnect with Nick's cousin, Daisy Buchanan (Mulligan).
    If you're a huge fan of the book and expect no liberties to be taken from the story, you will not be happy about this film.
    That being said, if you want to see an all around great movie and have an open mind to Baz Luhrmann's style, you'll love this movie. The sets, the color, the cars, and the costumes were fantastic. I even liked how they mixed the modern music with the musical styles of the roaring twenties (which may be a turn off for some).
    The acting was good all around, but Leonardo DiCaprio was great. He seems to get better with every role he plays and he was a wonderful fit for Gatsby.
    This was a great love story, filled with romance, mystery, thrills and extravagance. At a run time of 142 minutes, I never felt like it was too long and in my opinion, it was paced perfectly.
    I do feel like you will miss out if you don't see it in 3D. With the lavish colors and sets, it really makes you feel like you're there and I recommend spending a few extra bucks catch this one in 3D.
    It's funny, I heard a lot of bad things about this film before I had a chance to see it, but as the movie progressed, I was hard pressed to find anything I didn't like about it. I enjoyed it from beginning to finish.
    You will like this if you liked Moulin Rouge! or Luhrmann's Romeo Juliet. On a side note, I do think it's geared towards a younger crowd. I give this movie an "A".

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  46. May 27, 2013
    This film is one of the best I've seen for a while! I haven't read the book, so had no preconception of what it was going to be like. I loved the use of vivid colours and symbolism throughout the film, and I found the film really intriguing. It really gets in your head and plays with your mind. Overall, a thought-provoking, yet enjoyable film with an awesome soundtrack! I'm definitely going to read the book now! Expand
  47. May 28, 2013
    I entered a special preview of The Great Gatsby with quite high expectations. I had heard a lot about the star-studded production, the released trailers were quite appealing, and the film was receiving quite good reviews abroad since its Cannes premier.

As the movie started I realised the expectations would be matched as the movie is full of stunning visuals and dazzling scenes, Baz
    Luhrmann style, which are only enhanced by the perfected 3D effect. The choice for shooting the film in 3D created quite a controversy early on, but I believe everyone can now see that this only added to the glamour effect of the 20s.

The movie is roughly split into two parts the first one being the alluring gratifying party scenes and the other being a more melancholic side of the story when the events really start to unravel. The glitter, glamour of the party scenes complemented with modern party songs from Fergie and will.i.am brought the audience as close as possible to the party, while 'haunting' tunes from Lana Del Rey and Florence and the Machine integrated in the emotional scenes worked beautifully. The soundtrack which was penned and produced by Jay-Z, brought the right amount of jazz in this 20s adaptation.

The film narration by Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) might have been a bit slow-moving in the beginning, but it set up the necessary New York background, especially for viewers who had not read the book and were not familiar with the story. His fascination with neighbour Jay Gatsby, played by Leonardo di Caprio, who seems unable to produce any substandard work lately, is felt throughout the film. He is seen at times as the extra wheel in the relationship between Gatsby and Daisy (Carey Mulligan), but he is the one there constantly for Gatsby, even before he showed total faith in the stranger he barely knew.

Despite the glitz and glamour, the film's roots are deep in the novel it is adapted from and the memorable emotions of the book are transformed wonderfully in the movie, with words sometimes typed on the screen and direct quotes, notably the ones at the end taken directly from the novel, and other subtle references, major of which was the innuendo of the original novel cover. The film does not fail to address the themes in the novel and presents them in a way which establishes them as themes very applicable to the life of today.

Overall, the film takes the audience on a ride from the nonchalance high life of the 20s to the corrupt fall of the characters as hope and dreams are crashing around them. With Nick's guidance, the story speaks strongly, and the mellow atmosphere of the novel is properly brought to life.
  48. Jan 31, 2014
    Really wonderful film with great Leonardo Dicaprio. It is good that today in the world which had lost all morale principles we can see such a film...Moreover there's also a great soundtrack!
  49. Dec 4, 2013
    Emotional film which has in the great interpretation of Di Caprio (and I say this as someone who usually can hardly appreciate him), and in the wise use of certain phrases/sections of the book, its strength.

Overall, one of the best movies, based on a book, I've ever seen .

That said I understand any negative reviews: the style of Luhrmann is sleek and baroque, almost to touch the
    grotesque... it's a give or take.

But I do not give a 10 because, in the new century, we are still in the hands of producers such as Jay-Z, that put the money and still want to decide on things that are not within their competence, creating disasters... in this case, inserting improbable musical interludes within the film: real advertising, not even disguised.

I also appreciate the film for this reason: the criticism of the wealth as the only foundation of respect for others, every description of corruption decided by money... this point and crowns Jay- Z (real seller of the mass, other than "producer", musical or not).

By now you have no more social distinctions or skin color... we have a man that personifies the power of money, corruption, and fraud to the masses... and has a dark skin... and this means nothing...
  50. Jan 10, 2014
    I really didn't know what to expect when I watched this movie, but I can tell you I was at least pleased with the outcome. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire both did good performances, as well as the rest of the cast. The film provides an interesting look at the height of the "Roaring Twenties". However, it's long running time of nearly 21/2 hours and a near-constant bombardment of visual over-stimulation might make the film somewhat exhausting for some. Every bit as visually dazzling as one might expect with it's production, grand sets, scenery, and detailed costume designs. I personally feel that while this film doesn't necessarily belongs to the category of overblown, over-elaborate movies out there, it could have benefited from having a less dazzling tone. All that aside, the plot was good and I felt sad at the end for Gatsby. Because of the film I decided to read the book, and the movie is a good adaption of the novel.

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on a wide variety of movies, videogames, and TV shows by clicking on my name, and mark this review as helpful.

(P.S, you may have read this review by me under "andrewgarcia732". I cannot enter my old account and have started a new one.)
  51. Mar 21, 2014
    " I've seen many great movies that DiCaprio starred but this is DiCaprio biggest hits yet " . I see a magical place and the big cities and stunning performances and especially Leanardo .
  52. Apr 3, 2014
    This is a story that lots of us have heard of. I personally enjoy this movie more than the old one. The main thing I like is that the creator could link the times when the Gatsby is from and nowadays. The costumes and decorations were from 'there, but the music was from our time. Some of the music were following the style ofjazz and some were just like dubstep, which helped to notice tge difference between two worlds. However, behind that, I felt like I am there with Gatsby and other characters, feeling everything they feel. Good new production, but I reccomend to read the book before watching. Expand
  53. Jun 13, 2014
    The Great Gatsby looks to be very simple, but it actually hides a very complex story that is more than a romantic, high society, what ever story. charismatic Jay Gatsby uses all of New York to weave his shell game. It is so well written that when reading a lot of reviews, professional and not, so many do not see the forest through the trees. What Mr. Fitzgerald has done is woven multiple stories into one character, and made it look easy. The movie was well done on all aspects Expand

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Even when the movie's not working, its style fascinates. That "not working" part is a deal breaker, though — and it has little to do with Luhrmann's stylistic gambits, and everything to do with his inability to reconcile them with an urge to play things straight.
  2. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    May 27, 2013
    What Luhrmann makes intoxicating is a sense of place – the houses, the rooms, the city, the roads – and the sense that all this is unfolding in a bubble like some mad fable. Where he falters is in persuading us that these are real, breathing folk whose experiences and destinies can move us.
  3. Reviewed by: Jane Crowther
    May 20, 2013
    Gatsby fans will be unoffended yet untransported, but soundtracks will sell, DiCaprio will be on bedroom walls again and new readers may discover the book - which is no bad thing.