Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: May 10, 2013
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 769 Ratings
WATCH NOW
BrianMcCriticAug 17, 2013
This is a film that takes a while to get into the story although the visuals are constant like all of Baz Lurhmann's work. I do wish there was more character development and the film was a little shorter, but overall a solid effort. B
MovieGuysAug 22, 2015
I've never been a fan of Baz Luhrmann's filmography, and his new Gatsby project is no exception. This is an amazing book, but his adaptation to the screen employs rap music and modern references here and there that do not fit the story atI've never been a fan of Baz Luhrmann's filmography, and his new Gatsby project is no exception. This is an amazing book, but his adaptation to the screen employs rap music and modern references here and there that do not fit the story at all. Now, I'm not a cinema purist when it comes to adding modern hints in period pieces, but the way Luhrmann does it is too obvious to benefit from subtlety. Also, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher should've switched their respective roles as Daisy and Myrtle: the casting choices there were not great. Each woman would've played the other character better, and the movie would've benefitted greatly. As for DiCaprio and Maguire, they played their characters on par with Fitzgerald's writing, and added some character nuances that only great actors can pull off, so bravo to them. If you're a fan of the story, it might be worthwhile to check out the movie, but don't set high expectations. Expand
franissavioMay 18, 2013
The movie was long, tedious and Jay-Z's music in 1912. The actors have done their respective roles well but the story was weak. I don't understand "what is this love about?"
StateOfFilmJun 1, 2013
To much party scenes, 3D traveling shots and not enough dialogue and dept in each character. And every time they seem to be getting to the core of some meaningful revelation, the voice over appears to take you far away from the scene and itsTo much party scenes, 3D traveling shots and not enough dialogue and dept in each character. And every time they seem to be getting to the core of some meaningful revelation, the voice over appears to take you far away from the scene and its climate. I wouldn't call it bad storytelling, but the entire movie seems to slip through your fingers and splash in a thousand colorful 3d-camera movements on to the ground. I had high expectations, and there were only a few moments in which this were matched. Expand
CloppersMay 18, 2013
The scenery is beautiful, but Maguire becomes annoying fast. The movie jumps around between scenes with no real transitions. Very difficult to stay interested.
Compi24May 11, 2013
It's first act is certainly aimless and unbearably frantic, but the rest of "The Great Gatsby" endures as an emotionally involving and thematically thought-provoking piece.
tropicAcesMay 11, 2013
The set pieces are great. Exactly what I imagined when I read the book. The acting is pretty solid. But the overuse of CGI (on things as simple as rain on a dock) and heavy music take away from the movie. I don't hate the film, but I didn'tThe set pieces are great. Exactly what I imagined when I read the book. The acting is pretty solid. But the overuse of CGI (on things as simple as rain on a dock) and heavy music take away from the movie. I don't hate the film, but I didn't like it either. I literally nothing this movie. Expand
TheWalrus2000May 19, 2013
The new Gatsby tries to center itself on visual masterpiece, costume design, and other technical categories that it forgets to spend time on acting, direction, and greatness making this classic plot go uneven and present possibly the worstThe new Gatsby tries to center itself on visual masterpiece, costume design, and other technical categories that it forgets to spend time on acting, direction, and greatness making this classic plot go uneven and present possibly the worst performance of Tobey McGuire fairly good career. Expand
Brad_May 17, 2013
The Great Gatsby is a beautiful novel and while adapted to a film, it became visually beautiful. However, for some mystical reason the visual did not coincide well with the plot or the narrative. I was hearing the story from the narrator asThe Great Gatsby is a beautiful novel and while adapted to a film, it became visually beautiful. However, for some mystical reason the visual did not coincide well with the plot or the narrative. I was hearing the story from the narrator as oppose to seeing it. Close to the end I decided to shut my eyes and hear the story because it was the visuals were frankly redundant although spectacular. The fact that Jay Z executive produced this film is very obvious from when you hear Jay Z's music like you're at his concerts, it got too repetitive for me regardless of the quality of the actual music. Overall, Great Gatsby was unable to give us a full experience without one sense blinding the other. Expand
madamsMay 13, 2013
It is now apparent that F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel The Great Gatsby does not translate well to the big screen. The acting was perfectly fine but the story, as classic as it may be, can simply not be made into a decent major motion picture.
MikeBiermanMay 16, 2013
Visually striking, but a bit slow, and too long. The story did seem to lack depth and felt hollow. The use of modern rap and other asynchronous music in the soundtrack was noticeably off-putting, inappropriate, and killed suspension ofVisually striking, but a bit slow, and too long. The story did seem to lack depth and felt hollow. The use of modern rap and other asynchronous music in the soundtrack was noticeably off-putting, inappropriate, and killed suspension of disbelief. Better than the earlier versions, but still failed to have significant depth. All glitter and flash makes Gatsby a dull boy. Expand
nothanksgivingMay 10, 2013
All of the ambiguity and thoughtfulness that is required to read 'The Great Gatsby' is thrown out of the window with characters' blatant explanations of symbols, ideas and character development.
holymoviecrapMay 13, 2013
too long by 45 minutes and slow, very slow. once again they focus on the mega parties instead of the characters, as a result the acting did not seem to be explore real human dimensions, two dimsional instead of really being fleshed out.too long by 45 minutes and slow, very slow. once again they focus on the mega parties instead of the characters, as a result the acting did not seem to be explore real human dimensions, two dimsional instead of really being fleshed out.

of course the green light is so important, but they show it so many times that it lost all impact.

what i did like was that Gatsby is just as corrupt and delusional as everyone else. of course that makes Nick's line at the end pretty stupid, "your worth more than all the rest put together".
A7sus4May 11, 2013
I wasn't sure what to expect, but my expectations were relatively high. They were high however for Luhrmann's "thing" and here he frankly walks a pretty straight and narrow. The movie is a solid "good" movie, wonderful costumes,I wasn't sure what to expect, but my expectations were relatively high. They were high however for Luhrmann's "thing" and here he frankly walks a pretty straight and narrow. The movie is a solid "good" movie, wonderful costumes, acting/casting... but it never really took off the way I imagined the director would make it. Expand
CreativitaJun 9, 2013
Despite a brilliantly vibrant cast, The Great Gatsby is merely an intoxicated image of 1920's extravagance and a poor interpretation of the classic we know and love.
RenzomaloJun 2, 2013
The Great Gatsby: Maybe it’s like caviar, an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire, but I didn’t care for “Gatsby.” I didn’t like the book in high school or college, I didn’t care for the re-read last month, and I didn’t much care forThe Great Gatsby: Maybe it’s like caviar, an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire, but I didn’t care for “Gatsby.” I didn’t like the book in high school or college, I didn’t care for the re-read last month, and I didn’t much care for the movie. Daisy Buchannan was nicely cast (cute but perfectly shallow) but everyone else was a cardboard cutout, and the movie was overwrought: “Gatsby” didn’t need truckloads of CGI, and loading it up as they did made it seem like a comic book. It was pretty to look at but, seriously, when they stopped at Wilson’s Texaco station I was waiting for Batman to slowly settle in the background. There were some highlights though: Daisy and Nick dancing to the heavy downbeat of the Wurlitzer and the image collage of Gatsby and Daisy together, shot in sepia, like framed portraits from the 1920s. Other than that, fodder for the 3D generation. Two and a half stars from this old codger. Expand
reddave2Jun 11, 2013
Far too much style over too little substance, The Great Gatsby is a muddled mess of a film. Characters dont engage and the tone of the film never settles. Despite being set in 1920s, it never tries to be a period piece which surely defeatsFar too much style over too little substance, The Great Gatsby is a muddled mess of a film. Characters dont engage and the tone of the film never settles. Despite being set in 1920s, it never tries to be a period piece which surely defeats the purpose? Some people may like it but you could have easily set the film in the modern age (which would play well against the current financal backdrop) but with the style of the 20s.

I'll put the above down to my personal preference, but that doesnt excuse some of the other problems with the film. The acting is flat as hell with Dicaprio being the only one to emerge with any kind of display. Tobey McGuire is simply terrible, never getting across he's characters own descent. He is simply there to narrate. Mullegan has her moments but I dont find her a good fit for the role. As for the rest, I get the feeling they've been instructed to over act. Or at least I hope they have.

For a film which is so much in love with its own cleverness and style, its amazing how dull this really is. Over long and over produced, its certainly not a film I could recommend.
DollisJun 2, 2013
This movie is the sama as Romeo Juliet and Moulin Rouge (Spoilers) come on in The Great Gatsby he die's too ,we see Leonardo DiCaprio ,die's in lot's of movies.
diego9901Oct 20, 2013
la película avanza con paso firme en los primeros veinte minutos pero cuando llega el momento en que uno de verdad se da cuenta cual es la trama central de la pelicula uno como espectador pierde toda esperanza que la pelicula se vuelva masla película avanza con paso firme en los primeros veinte minutos pero cuando llega el momento en que uno de verdad se da cuenta cual es la trama central de la pelicula uno como espectador pierde toda esperanza que la pelicula se vuelva mas interesante Expand
TylerDsCreationMay 13, 2013
The Great Gatsby is known as one of the greatest pieces of literature ever to be written. It holds a special place in many people's hearts and that goes without needing an explanation. I have read the book, I loved the book, and if youThe Great Gatsby is known as one of the greatest pieces of literature ever to be written. It holds a special place in many people's hearts and that goes without needing an explanation. I have read the book, I loved the book, and if you haven't read the book, see this movie.

I think that this movie is very hard to keep on a separate scale as the book. I mostly try to view movie adaptations as a separate piece than the book because I know it will never live up, but this one made that very hard because this was the book. This movie was a straight up copy of the book and that is one of the reasons I disliked it. It literally takes exact quotes from the book and adds them to the film, actually almost all the dialogue are quotes from the book. If you have ever had to do a book report on a book you really didn't want to read, you would have thought to just watch the movie, right? Most of the time this doesn't work because of the filmmakers creativity making the story a bit different to fit modern audiences. You could have easily just watched this movie for your high school book report and gotten an A.

I think there is merit in changing the story a bit and tweaking it to maybe suit a larger audience. But when you just take a book and than just simply make a movie out of it, it takes away the spirit of that source material. Although this movie sure was ambitious, it lacked the spirit of the book that made it so endearing.

Now, if you take that out of the picture, I can talk to you about why I didn't hate The Great Gatsby. This movie never did seize to entertain. It held my attention the entire time and the visuals were fantastic. I also was impressed by the acting. That is for sure the highlight of this movie and especially from Leo Dicaprio. This guy is fantastic! I think he is one of the best in the business right now and it shows. He can take any script and turn it into enough material to give an amazing performance. Put Blood Diamond and J. Edgar into account. Without his great performances, Blood Diamond would be at the very bottom of the barrel and J. Edgar would be long forgotten by now (although it kind of already is). Leonardo Dicaprio saves is by giving us the old, "old sport" we've come to know and love.

The Great Gatsby was all in all, okay. It had some great visual flare and it was bombastic, but it stuck too close to the source material and made it out to be somewhat of a chore at times. It also lost some of the zest that made the book so incredible. The tension in the scenes where Gatsby and Tom are really getting into each others skin just didn't have the same tension the book had. But with the great performances, it was enough to bring this movie back from the bottom and save this one from oblivion.
EwanDaveyKeefeMay 28, 2013
I must first state that the book is worth a read and delves deeper into the films themes, it is also simply a fantastic book.
The film plays heavily upon the romance side of the story losing some of the other themes, that being said it is a bad thing, cinematic-ally it gives the audience a focus point and they are not lost within the subtext. It also blends modern music brilliantly within the film. The acting from most of the cast was triple AAA performances. Brilliant set pieces yet with an apparent reliance of CGI in some scenes, makes some of it feel visually fake.

What i felt truly let down the film was the pacing and poor editing, with some bad camera work which ruined a few key night scenes, something you wouldn't expect from Luhrmann. The car sequence in which Nick and Gatsby are going to the barbers, oozed lack luster editing work in which it is so apparent the dialogue was edited over, i thought the projectionist had messed up.

Overall though the film is a simulating experience with a brilliant cast and a good return of Toby Maguire. Its a great discussion piece between people commenting on Gatsby's motives and their views.
e9tMay 16, 2013
물랑루즈2를
marthalorimerSep 11, 2013
The Great Gatsby is a novel that will forever exemplify the glamour and style that was the roaring twenties. The recent movie portrayed this culture in a way that almost made the viewers nostalgic of the time period. The costume and setThe Great Gatsby is a novel that will forever exemplify the glamour and style that was the roaring twenties. The recent movie portrayed this culture in a way that almost made the viewers nostalgic of the time period. The costume and set design were so over the top with the sparkles and classic flappers dresses the women looked spoiled in glamour; we as 21st century viewers sat in awe and jealousy of what seemed such carefree, lavish, and exciting time. Watching the movie ignorant to the novel allowed for people to view it in awe rather than disappointment.
From book to box office, The Great Gatsby will never be able to be properly portrayed into a film. The novel requires so much analysis of characters and subtleties, that a film simply can not require that much thought from viewers. Being able to think about what made Gatsby so rich and confident to outsiders, yet so self-conscious and sad in reality is something only readers can understand. Deciding how to feel about how easy going Nick was in dealing with Gatsby’s demands makes the reader second-guess any previous view of Gatsby. Accepting how willing Daisy was to betray her husband is a controversy that must be analyzed to accept. These are all things that a reader can take time to think about rather than the specific time that a movie runs on. The movie does not allow for the appropriate appreciation for the story that is The Great Gatsby.
willkulkaNov 30, 2013
A letdown to say the least. The first 20 minutes of the film is a rushed mess. The visuals and cinematography, however, are spectacular and keep the film afloat. It's just unfortunate that a movie should have to rely on it.
MattG_123Jan 1, 2014
It's not the performances that are bad, it's the idea and story itself. It just isn't interesting, it's painfully boring, and Baz Luhrmann made it even worse, because after the first 20 minutes of lights and music, the rest is extremely boring.
adhamhanyNov 14, 2013
This is a very mixed movie.

This is a very mixed movie.

On one hand, the performances are great, with the exception of Tobey Maguire who got tiresome after a while, especially in the narrating scenes. The art direction is fantastic. It really captures the decadence and excess of that decade. The modern music soundtrack is a hit and miss.

On the other hand, the film just felt all over the place. The editing is very fast. While that's a good thing in the party scenes (which were my favorite), it wasn't in the intimate ones, where you need to slow down and give room for the characters to breathe in.

There lies the movie's ultimate problem: it successfully portrayed the age in which the story takes in, but not the story and characters themselves.
BrandonBonaseraJun 3, 2013
I both like and hate The Great Gatsby. How? Why let me explain! The first half of the film basically relies on too much of modern rap music, annoying close ups and bizarre sequences that feel like the film itself is on acid. Not only areI both like and hate The Great Gatsby. How? Why let me explain! The first half of the film basically relies on too much of modern rap music, annoying close ups and bizarre sequences that feel like the film itself is on acid. Not only are those a problem, but also the film begins to fall into campy territories with unintentionally funny moments and over-the-top acting. But later on in the film, the flaws of the first half begin to fade (though they reappear sometimes) and the film starts to feel more like a 1920s drama film rather than an over-the-top bizarre stage play music video. The film, to be honest, didn't need to be as visually impressive as it is and the 3D, though good at times, didn't need to be present. Besides a pretty robotic performance from Carey Mulligan, the acting was often solid, though every actor and actress had their fair-share of over-the-top and campy moments. In the conclusion, The Great Gatsby is a visually dazzling and a decent movie, though self-indulgent and not at all great. Expand
beingryanjudeSep 2, 2014
The critics truly were too harsh with this gem--it is always difficult to adapt such a beautiful novel as this, but Baz Luhrmann has created such a stunning interpretation.
geedupJul 21, 2013
Some books should not be made into films. I have always believed The Great Gatsby is one of them. But, this film does a good job making a modern day adaptation of it. If you know the book, you have to stretch your mind a bit to envision theSome books should not be made into films. I have always believed The Great Gatsby is one of them. But, this film does a good job making a modern day adaptation of it. If you know the book, you have to stretch your mind a bit to envision the characters. I thought Leo as Gatsby was a good casting move as he is solid. And although I am not a fan of Tobey he does a good job as Carraway as well. But, if you like the movie, read the book. Expand
analogkid280May 19, 2013
This movie has me so torn. Some things I just loved about this story. Other things really distracted and annoyed me. Overall a good film. I loved the scenery. The scenes of them in the city with the contrast turned up on the color made meThis movie has me so torn. Some things I just loved about this story. Other things really distracted and annoyed me. Overall a good film. I loved the scenery. The scenes of them in the city with the contrast turned up on the color made me feel like I was watching a 60 year old movie in a good way. On the other hand the Beyonce and other Hip-Hop songs were well not well contrived. Good the way the city is set up with the labor class supporting the upper class was done in an almost cartoonish way that was very beautiful. The acting was great and the actress playing Daisy steals every scene she is in. The omissions from the original story Bad. Overall a good pretty looking movie that you will forget about in a few weeks. Expand