Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: May 10, 2013
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 762 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
artaeunJun 1, 2013
I don't ever give scores like these. But, this is indeed an exception.
It's not a movie for everybody, but nonetheless, everybody should see it at least once. It is a great movie, period.
Just go watch it and don't loose any more time, it's
I don't ever give scores like these. But, this is indeed an exception.
Just go watch it and don't loose any more time, it's just Unique, and when you'll leave the seat, i guarantee that you'll get out of there with your heart full.
GreenlemonadeMay 10, 2013
Saw this when it opened. Had low expectations because of movie critics who obviously grew up in the wrong era. The quality of the book is revived perfectly; It's a period peace, but transcends period with its subtle hints of modern music andSaw this when it opened. Had low expectations because of movie critics who obviously grew up in the wrong era. The quality of the book is revived perfectly; It's a period peace, but transcends period with its subtle hints of modern music and style. Every actor was perfectly cast. It's heavy use of Art Deco (my favorite architectural style) fills the screen with beauty that reaches for the heavens, however unattainable they were and still are.
Gatsby looks to the past not with nostalgia, but with regret of what was and what will never be.

p.s. I am usually very anti-3d but this movies 3d really pulls you into the grandness of it all.
devo-ncJul 11, 2014
Very strong adaptation and visual assertion into a provokitive atmosphere wound through beautiful visual charismatics in costumes, art-direction and in the usage of 3D. The astounding music sways the movie forward, but when you have actorsVery strong adaptation and visual assertion into a provokitive atmosphere wound through beautiful visual charismatics in costumes, art-direction and in the usage of 3D. The astounding music sways the movie forward, but when you have actors simply embodying their characters, this might be the most memorable movie of the summer that is steadily improving over time. Expand
mrfutbol107May 11, 2013
It was a great movie with a fantastic performance by Leonardo DiCaprio. It is an emotional thrill ride that has you on the edge of your seat throughout nearly all of the movie.
theofficeMay 11, 2013
'The Great Gatsby' was an absolutely fantastic movie! The story, acting, cinematics... everything was at the highest level and definitely shows a high production value. Best movie I've seen in a long time. I had mixed expectations coming in'The Great Gatsby' was an absolutely fantastic movie! The story, acting, cinematics... everything was at the highest level and definitely shows a high production value. Best movie I've seen in a long time. I had mixed expectations coming in just based on some of the negative reviews I've heard but I honestly don't see why those even exist. I think what makes Gatsby a great film is that it is different. It's not your typical summer action movie. It's not your typical romantic love story. 'Gatsby' goes much deeper and further than the vast majority movies today tend to go. The acting and story really draw you in while the cinematic shots never cease to impress. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the film and highly recommend it to everyone. Just goes to show that when directors and writers actually try and stick to the source material instead of making their "improvements" you come out with a much better product. Expand
robben1234May 20, 2013
I have not a fan of anything captured on film never revisited twice serials, films, or something else, but at the Gatsby I want to go a second time. Once again savor the views of New York, the story interpreted Luhrmann again. This is theI have not a fan of anything captured on film never revisited twice serials, films, or something else, but at the Gatsby I want to go a second time. Once again savor the views of New York, the story interpreted Luhrmann again. This is the best thing I've ever watched, this is the best interpretation of the book on the big screen Expand
poetreviewerJun 27, 2013
After seeing this movie a second time, I began to like it even more, ultimately going back a total of 4 times. In my first viewing, I unfairly underrated this movie and wish to make amends to its creator. This movie is gorgeous. Acting ofAfter seeing this movie a second time, I began to like it even more, ultimately going back a total of 4 times. In my first viewing, I unfairly underrated this movie and wish to make amends to its creator. This movie is gorgeous. Acting of the 3 leading men is impeccable. DiCaprio brings to life a more deluded version of Gatsby than prior versions. His depiction felt off at first viewing, but after seeing the movie again it felt perfect. My apologies Baz Lurhmann. I think this movie should get all the academy awards except for the actress categories. Expand
ClayMerrittMay 10, 2013
Let us get the obvious out of the way: The Great Gatsby as the inspirational literature piece, is extremely better than this movie. But lets not kid ourselves. This movie was a damn good movie. An AMAZING movie. Upon seeing the trailer forLet us get the obvious out of the way: The Great Gatsby as the inspirational literature piece, is extremely better than this movie. But lets not kid ourselves. This movie was a damn good movie. An AMAZING movie. Upon seeing the trailer for this movie, I had high expectations and couldn't wait to see the movie. Reviews starting filing in and I couldn't understand it. Bad review after bad review. My expectations lowered. As you would expect. The movie starts and it sort of started slow to me and somewhat worried me, but the movie started to get going and I found myself enjoying it thoroughly. By the end, the tragedy, the romance, the broken relationships, the lies, deceit. It was pure emotion. These were truly the life and times of Jay Gatsby. The rise and fall of Jay Gatsby, if you will. It was extraordinary from start to finish. Nothing captivated me like this since Django Unchained last year. I will definitely see this movie again. I highly recommend this movie regardless if you're a fan of the book or haven't read the book at all and enjoy a good movie. Very good. Expand
HucksterJan 3, 2014
This film is nothing less than a tour de force. Such painstakingly perfect detail in every scene. Even if you haven't read the book, it is a flawless piece of movie-making, so much more than the sum of its individual parts and characters.This film is nothing less than a tour de force. Such painstakingly perfect detail in every scene. Even if you haven't read the book, it is a flawless piece of movie-making, so much more than the sum of its individual parts and characters. Who else but Baz Luhrmann could deliver such breath-taking imagery no scene is without impeccable attention to detail. The soundtrack is brilliant and original and highly evocative. This movie gets better and better with every viewing Expand
ferg3000May 15, 2013
(most of) THE CRITICS WERE WRONG. it's a long movie, and a well thought out movie. everyone involved with this movie put in a lot of hard work and should be applauded for the result. the music worked, the 3d worked, the time travel to another(most of) THE CRITICS WERE WRONG. it's a long movie, and a well thought out movie. everyone involved with this movie put in a lot of hard work and should be applauded for the result. the music worked, the 3d worked, the time travel to another era worked. it was well worth it and I'm glad i went against the poor reviews. Expand
woohooMay 10, 2013
I'll admit this is one of my favorite novels of all time. In my opinion it is THE great american novel. I think it encapsulates everything that is America. The excess, the lust for money, the shallowness of keeping up appearances, andI'll admit this is one of my favorite novels of all time. In my opinion it is THE great american novel. I think it encapsulates everything that is America. The excess, the lust for money, the shallowness of keeping up appearances, and people's admiration for those they deem successful.

I also think that Fitzgerald's novel stands the test of time and is just as relevant today. This movie captures the novel perfectly and hardly deviates from the book which is it's greatest strengths. The performance by DiCaprio as Gatsby is also out of this world. Don't listen to the critics, if you're a fan of the book you'll enjoy this movie.
Gatsby123May 10, 2013
Dude! This is the best movie of the summer!! I saw one of the best performances of Leonardo DiCaprio and the rest breaks too! I recommend to all!!
PinBBMay 11, 2013
Baz Luhrmann really has outdone himself in this film. The cast is beautiful as is the script. The scenes are a visual feast. It is as if Luhrmann reached into Fitzgerald's vision of the 20's, pulled out the heart of it and merged it with whatBaz Luhrmann really has outdone himself in this film. The cast is beautiful as is the script. The scenes are a visual feast. It is as if Luhrmann reached into Fitzgerald's vision of the 20's, pulled out the heart of it and merged it with what society is today, over nine decades later. Alongside personal strife, we see social inequality, abuse of drugs and alcohol, political and moral corruption, and the failure of financial institutions and their responsibility to people. This film will make you feel that these issues will always be relevant, and that not much changes from generation to generation.

The achingly romantic and hopeful Gatsby is played impeccably by DiCaprio. He has aged into a beautiful man while still possessing those boyish good looks. The beginning of the film has the viewer itching to see Gatsby and hear him speak, and when he finally appears he holds on and captivates throughout the film. The film may awaken something in you, a memory of when you were crazy in love with a person or in love with an idea for what your life should be. DiCaprio embodies a dream and makes you root for him, even though he is shown to be a liar and a man who is desperately trying to steal another's wife- all that does not matter because we see the gentle child-like frailty in him and identify with it. DiCaprio is an excellent actor and was perfect for the role.

I must say that I didn't think that Mulligan can pull the role of Daisy, who in my mind was supposed to be a flawless beauty. However, she didn't disappoint. It made Gatsby's love and desire for her even more fascinating- she was beautiful to him and that's all that mattered. Mulligan was able to play the spoiled and dazed rich girl well, while adding an emotional dimension to the character. Tobey Mcguire definitely held his own, and his story line had an interesting deviation from the novel which was enjoyable. All in all I think it is a must see this year for movie buffs.
knieskjMay 11, 2013
Perfection. Brought out every emotion from the book and then some. It may have left out or rearranged the details, but the heart and the idea of the book remained intact.
BadmohfackaMay 11, 2013
Baz Luhrmann really outdone himself with this one. Great honour to Fitzgerald for making a great movie out of a brilliant book. A don't get the negative reviews from the critics but I know they're unfair.
FazMay 14, 2013
There are a couple of classics that I've never read and this is one of them. That being said, I really enjoyed the cinematography, actors' performances, and the mixture of modern music with the world of the 1920s.
teodanteMay 25, 2013
The adaptation of the story which I don't actually know. Excellent soundtrack and scenery of America of the early 20th century. The effect of that movie is in a while after watching.
anmatanJan 31, 2014
Really wonderful film with great Leonardo Dicaprio. It is good that today in the world which had lost all morale principles we can see such a film...Moreover there's also a great soundtrack!
maddog1780Jun 22, 2013
Visually stunning, great pace and dramatization. IMO really gets to the core issues Fitzgerald had in mind. Makes you think about your own goals in life and what happiness really is.
deemoJun 30, 2013
Great film, everything about the movie was fascinating.. I was kept on edge until the ending which was a complete shock to me, I keep replaying scenes of the movie in my imagination, it's a very impressive film that was very compelling. IGreat film, everything about the movie was fascinating.. I was kept on edge until the ending which was a complete shock to me, I keep replaying scenes of the movie in my imagination, it's a very impressive film that was very compelling. I don't think my words are enough to express how great this film is, go watch it and experience the enjoyment for yourself. I am slightly upset by the number of people that didn't like this film, to say this film doesn't meet your standards is a joke. Expand
andrewgarcia732Oct 13, 2013
I really didn't know what to expect when I watched this movie, but I can tell you I was at least pleased with the outcome. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire both did good performances as well. While the film provides an interesting look atI really didn't know what to expect when I watched this movie, but I can tell you I was at least pleased with the outcome. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire both did good performances as well. While the film provides an interesting look at the height of the "Roaring Twenties" and a devastating look into the dark side of the American dream, it's running time of nearly 21/2 hours and a near-constant bombardment of visual over-stimulation might make the film somewhat exhausting for some. Every bit as visually dazzling as one might expect with it's production, grand sets, scenery, and detailed costume designs. I personally feel that while this film doesn't necessarily belongs to the category of overblown, over-elaborate movies out there, it could have benefited from having a less dazzling tone. All that aside, the plot was good and I felt sad at the end for Gatsby. Whether or not the film is a satisfactory adaptation of the novel I can't say because I haven't read the book.

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows and mark this review as helpful.
AGarcia732Jan 10, 2014
I really didn't know what to expect when I watched this movie, but I can tell you I was at least pleased with the outcome. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire both did good performances, as well as the rest of the cast. The film provides anI really didn't know what to expect when I watched this movie, but I can tell you I was at least pleased with the outcome. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire both did good performances, as well as the rest of the cast. The film provides an interesting look at the height of the "Roaring Twenties". However, it's long running time of nearly 21/2 hours and a near-constant bombardment of visual over-stimulation might make the film somewhat exhausting for some. Every bit as visually dazzling as one might expect with it's production, grand sets, scenery, and detailed costume designs. I personally feel that while this film doesn't necessarily belongs to the category of overblown, over-elaborate movies out there, it could have benefited from having a less dazzling tone. All that aside, the plot was good and I felt sad at the end for Gatsby. Because of the film I decided to read the book, and the movie is a good adaption of the novel.

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on a wide variety of movies, videogames, and TV shows by clicking on my name, and mark this review as helpful.

(P.S, you may have read this review by me under "andrewgarcia732". I cannot enter my old account and have started a new one.)
tlightJan 2, 2014
This film is full of brilliant actors, a story told in a very good way. The setting is beautiful. The screen play is amazing. I can watch this film time and time again.
lukechristianscAug 2, 2015
Another adaptation of Fitzgerald's pièce de résistance novel also the second film adaptation of 1974 film. I haven't read the novel, but what I've heard about this is this movie is that it stays true to the novel, which fans of the novel willAnother adaptation of Fitzgerald's pièce de résistance novel also the second film adaptation of 1974 film. I haven't read the novel, but what I've heard about this is this movie is that it stays true to the novel, which fans of the novel will love about this movie but what people are worried about is director Baz Luhrmann distracting the viewers with too much eye candy and not making it more realistic also you don't buy the fact it's the 20's it has a terrible pop culture style if the movie didn't to much Jay Z music it could be more realistic. The cast is selling it, we actually get to know these characters and do a good job. Luhrmann does screw up the realism but it's a fun ravishing movie with great clothing design and intoxicating breathless party scenes and brainy dialogue. Screenwriter Craig Pearce and Baz Luhrmann (whom Luhrmann wrote the script) do a pretty astonishing job writing 20's brainy dialogue and a having dreamlike quality to the film. DiCaprio and Carey Mulligan have some okay "Romeo and Juliet" chemistry also Tobey Maguire was great too as the narrorator also a loyal friend to Gastby. A Midwestern war veteran finds himself drawn to the past and lifestyle of his millionaire neighbor. Grade A Expand
mc_rynFeb 21, 2016
Movie critics are useless.............................................................................................................................................
Jonte_V19Oct 31, 2015
This is one of the greatest movie of the 21 st century. The acting, the filming and the story, it's all there and it's perfectly done in every way possible. As always Leo is just amazing but it's really Tobey Maguire's part in the movieThis is one of the greatest movie of the 21 st century. The acting, the filming and the story, it's all there and it's perfectly done in every way possible. As always Leo is just amazing but it's really Tobey Maguire's part in the movie whitch is outstanding. Ten out of ten all the way. Expand
HeidiKJan 25, 2016
Marvelous performances, style, costumes, mindblowing soundtrack. 100 out of 100! The best "Gatsby", in my opinion. Loved every minute of it. Leonardo DiCaprio is phenomenal.
simonerodriguezMar 13, 2016
**** the critics, **** the negative comments! this one of the BEST movies LEO has EVER done!!! if i could i would watch this movie a thousand times a day! the music, the lights, the scenery everything was so spot on!!! i read the book and i**** the critics, **** the negative comments! this one of the BEST movies LEO has EVER done!!! if i could i would watch this movie a thousand times a day! the music, the lights, the scenery everything was so spot on!!! i read the book and i can say that a movie finally does a book justice Expand
YuRown92May 25, 2013
The Great Gatsby is very beatiful movie. It has nice scenery, good cast and and unexpectedly, a good soundtrack. But there are some inconsistencies in the story, and the ending seems so tightened. It could be better. And of course, LeonardoThe Great Gatsby is very beatiful movie. It has nice scenery, good cast and and unexpectedly, a good soundtrack. But there are some inconsistencies in the story, and the ending seems so tightened. It could be better. And of course, Leonardo DiCaprio is great. Expand
MichaelDNMay 10, 2013
I'm going to make this very simple for you. If you like the book, you'll like the movie. Why? It encompasses everything that makes the novel great. The script basically is the book, from the narration, to the dialogue, the the plot line. TheI'm going to make this very simple for you. If you like the book, you'll like the movie. Why? It encompasses everything that makes the novel great. The script basically is the book, from the narration, to the dialogue, the the plot line. The magic of the book is brought to life by Baz Lurhmann's direction, and by the performances. We really get to see this fantastic world the same way we imagined Nick saw it, when we were reading the book. People complain about the style, and how it's too shallow, and goes out of its way to look good, but that's the point. Gatsby's fantastic life was completely shallow, but Nick didn't see that initially. I'm interested in hearing the opinion of someone who liked the book, but didn't like the movie, because I'd like to know what they were expecting. They must've read a different book than I did. Expand
robozotMay 20, 2013
I was fully prepared to dislike this film. But I was drawn into it, and carried along moment to moment. I even found it moving. And I can't stick LDC usually!

The film makers did a great job. It takes a while until you get a real scene,

The film makers did a great job.

It takes a while until you get a real scene, but when you do Daisy and Gatsby meeting for the first time at Nic's house it's extremely charming and very funny.

I think the critics should take a bath on this one. It's a great romantic movie, no doubt about it.
AwesomeReviewerMay 11, 2013
Baz Luhrmann’s “The Great Gatsby,” is fairly accurate to the classic novel and keeps most of its themes intact. However, Luhrmann’s own flair adds a new dimension to the story. Visually this film is incredibly stunning. From grand sets to theBaz Luhrmann’s “The Great Gatsby,” is fairly accurate to the classic novel and keeps most of its themes intact. However, Luhrmann’s own flair adds a new dimension to the story. Visually this film is incredibly stunning. From grand sets to the detailed period dresses, this film is a treat for the eyes. Never once does it not take your breath away from its impressive scenery. Many people might be worried about the updated music, but there is nothing to fear. Jay-Z’s track works incredible well with the film and complements the era in which it is set.

The direction in this film is impeccable. The cinematography is marvelous and really lets the viewer absorb the sheer artistry that has gone into making this film. Luhrmann keeps a high level of energy throughout the film and the party sequences are choreographed and edited in a way that it makes you feel envious of not being apart of it. Editing in the film is seamless and really keeps the viewer engaged. A common criticism the film receives is that it is more style than substance, however, I must disagree. This modern interpretation doesn’t forget its themes and morals from the classic F. Scott Fitzgerald tale.

Performances are phenomenal by the entire cast. Carey Mulligan’s Daisy is every bit as careless as one would expect, but she also manages to show some complexity in her role. Tobey Maguire is a great avatar for us to take on as we enter this film. He is very much the viewer as he sees everything happening, but is ultimately helpless to change anything. The true standouts in the film are Joel Edgerton and Leonardo DiCaprio. Edgerton as Tom Buchanan brings a lot of personality to his character that I thought was absent in the book. He’s a bit more tender and more vulnerable, especially when he finds out his wife’s secret. The true award recognition worthy performance comes from DiCaprio’s Gatsby. He hones on being a respectable, but idealistically insane man. His performance is not only compelling, but also charming and quit hopeful. He truly deserves some recognition come Oscar season.

Overall, “The Great Gatsby” is a fantastically entertaining and enthralling film. It is horribly underrated as it is filled with awards worthy visuals, sets, costumes, direction, and performances. It is a great time at the movies for anyone that enjoys the classic novel or who haven’t even heard of it. Not only is this film dramatically satisfying, but also quite humorous and a spectacle like no other. I give it 4.5/5, a great adaptation of one of the greatest novels ever written.
MattyiceMay 10, 2013
This movie was absolutely great, mainly for its screenplay and it staying true to the Gatsby storyline. It was enjoyable all the way through, DiCaprio was amazing as Gatsby, and all of the roles were well played. The music though was stunningThis movie was absolutely great, mainly for its screenplay and it staying true to the Gatsby storyline. It was enjoyable all the way through, DiCaprio was amazing as Gatsby, and all of the roles were well played. The music though was stunning and fit the mood, even if it wasn't all Jazz (Black 1920s music). Instead, cleverly they used Hip-hop (Modern day black music). Overall, if you have read, or not read the book, you should absolutely see this. Expand
VorchMay 16, 2013
Very well made movie and an excellent modern homage to F. Scott Fitzgerald's American classic.

This movie also makes EXCELLENT usage of 3D; probably the best we'll see this year even with Iron Man 3. Leo acts very well and Toby McGuire

Leo acts very well and Toby McGuire was a very believable character in a fantastical rendition of 1920s America.

I recommend people see it.
oblique15Mar 19, 2014
I liked this much more than I thought I would. The Great Gatsby takes you to another world.It has a magical feeling.I never read the book and enjoyed it.
SimpleMethodJul 6, 2013
One of the best movies I've seen this year. I f**king hate Toby Maguire but he didn't bother me in this. Leonardo Decaprio delivered another stellar performance, but this won't be the vehicle that gets him his oscar, which is disappointing,One of the best movies I've seen this year. I f**king hate Toby Maguire but he didn't bother me in this. Leonardo Decaprio delivered another stellar performance, but this won't be the vehicle that gets him his oscar, which is disappointing, but he's still got a chance with The Wolf of Wall Street. 9.4/10 Expand
jtc05111995Jul 4, 2013
You must have read the book to enjoy this movie to its fullest. The visuals in this movie perfectly captures the emotion and complexity of the Fitzgerald's novel. Leonardo DiCaprio is Gatsby. He captures the aura and personality of Gatsby,You must have read the book to enjoy this movie to its fullest. The visuals in this movie perfectly captures the emotion and complexity of the Fitzgerald's novel. Leonardo DiCaprio is Gatsby. He captures the aura and personality of Gatsby, but still expresses his characters emptiness. The whole cast complements Leo's acting. Baz topped his Romeo Juliet reinvention and has broken another cinema literature barrier. Expand
ThegodfathersonMay 14, 2013
Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of "The Great Gatsby" isn't a disaster. Every frame is sincere. Its miscalculations come from a wish to avoid embalming a classic novel in "respectfulness" a worthy goal, in theory. It boasts the third mostBaz Luhrmann's adaptation of "The Great Gatsby" isn't a disaster. Every frame is sincere. Its miscalculations come from a wish to avoid embalming a classic novel in "respectfulness" a worthy goal, in theory. It boasts the third most imaginative use of 3D I've seen recently, after "U2 3D" and "Hugo." It's a technological and aesthetic lab that has four or five experiments cooking in each scene. Even when the movie's not working, its style fascinates. That "not working" part is a deal breaker, though and it has little to do with Luhrmann's stylistic gambits, and everything to do with his inability to reconcile them with an urge to play things straight.
If you've seen Lurhmann's "Strictly Ballroom," "Romeo Juliet" or "Moulin Rouge," or watched "Gatsby" trailers, you know what you're in for: an epic melodrama that fuses old-movie theatrics and subjective filmmaking, period music and modern pop, real sets and unreal landscapes, psychological drama and speeded-up slapstick.
We see the book's Prohibition-era settings (East Egg and West Egg, New York City, and the sooty wasteland in between) through the eyes of the narrator, Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire), who's writing a memoir-confession from an asylum. This framing device is inferred from statements Fitzgerald made in "The Crack-Up," and "Gatsby" often refers to itself as a book, so even though it's not part of the source, it's hardly a blasphemous indulgence; still, it's one more buffer between viewer and story in a movie that already has plenty.
This busywork might astonish if Lurhmann's heart were in it, but is it? The guests at Gatsby's party are too obviously directed, and there's no sense of escalation in the gatherings; from frame one, they're a Dionysian whirl of booze, lust and hero worship, minus the sense that that things are ebbing and flowing as they would at a real party. The CGI-assisted camera acrobatics feel obligatory. So do the anachronistic soundtrack mash-ups (modern hip-hop layered over ragtime piano, and so on).
But in the film's dark second half, "The Great Gatsby" half-forgets its mandate to wow us and zeroes in on actors saying lines to one another in rooms. Once that happens, the Luhrmannerisms distract from the film's true heart: the actions and feelings of its characters. Luhrmann didn't set out to make a PBS-style, bare-bones adaptation, but there are times when it feels as though he wants to.
Once you get past the movie's opening eruptions of visual excess hundreds of party guests boozing and hollering and doing the Charleston; CGI cityscapes that visualize 1920s New York by way of Warren Beatty's candy-colored "Dick Tracy"; a long expository talk between Gatsby and Nick in a careening computer-buffed roadster that moves as believably as the talking cab in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" "The Great Gatsby" settles into a traditional groove: scene, scene, montage, scene, burst of violence, moment of reflection. The movie wants to be a "kaleidoscopic carnival," to quote a phrase from the book's description of a Jay Gatsby party, but Luhrmann's instincts seem more traditional, even square, and the two impulses cancel each out. Once you've spent time with his cast, you understand why he was torn.
DiCaprio's Gatsby is the movie's greatest and simplest special effect: an illusion conjured mainly through body language and voice. On the page, the character is so mysterious, so much a projection of the book's narrator, that you'd think he'd be as unplayable onscreen as Kurtz or John Galt; he eluded Alan Ladd and Robert Redford, the role's previous inhabitants. And yet DiCaprio makes him comprehensible and achingly real. The actor's choices drive home the idea that Gatsby is playing the man he wishes he were, and that others need him to be. We see the calculations behind his eyes, but we also believe that he could hide them from the other characters most of them, anyway.
DiCaprio's acting evokes Nick's description of the human personality as "an unbroken series of successful gestures." Luhrmann cuts some scenes to make it seem as if the character really is omniscient as if he can see and hear for miles and read people's thoughts and feelings and DiCaprio plays these moments with a mix of inscrutability and delight, as if Gatsby knows something we don't, but is too clever to say precisely what. (He could play Superman.) When Gatsby's deceptions are revealed is an iconic performance maybe his career best.
The rest of the cast is nearly as impressive. Nick Carraway is almost as much of an abstraction as Gatsby an audience surrogate, with touches of The Nice Guy Betrayed but Maguire humanizes him, just as DiCaprio does Gatsby.
NathonasAug 10, 2014
I finally decided to see this film, despite its low ratings. I was pleasantly surprised and can now safely say that I understand why the novel is such a central piece of American literature.

As for the film, the acting is top notch, and

As for the film, the acting is top notch, and the only thing I really disliked is the modern music. Outside of that, I thought it was a very profound story with some great messages and a fascinating central character.
Movie1997May 10, 2013
I remember watching the trailer for this movie a year ago and expecting it to come out at Christmas. I just don't understand why the movie was delayed 6 months. But now that the movie is here I can personally say it was worth the wait. TheI remember watching the trailer for this movie a year ago and expecting it to come out at Christmas. I just don't understand why the movie was delayed 6 months. But now that the movie is here I can personally say it was worth the wait. The Great Gatsby is a very beautiful story and well told through miraculous cinematography, some visuals and fantastic acting. Hands down, Leonardo DiCaprio is the heart and soul of the movie. I mean, he's just such a tremendous actor. It may not be his biggest and best role, but he still gives one hell of a performance (just as usual). There were some even some other great actors such as Joel Edgerton, Carey Mulligan and even Tobey Maguire. I honestly wasn't sure if I would like him in this movie but he actual is really good. But his best role for me will always be in "Brothers". The cinematography is definitely one of the things that impressed me the most. Cinematographer Simon Duggan really knows how to not only get great shots, but take you through the world of Jay Gatsby himself. The one thing I really don't understand is this. Why is there a 3-D release for this movie? I mean, it has those good shots, but honestly it doesn't need to be shot in 3-D. That's like making "The Notebook" in 3-D. It just doesn't work. But don't let that distract you from watching an (Oscar worthy) type-movie. If your going to go watch it, watch it in 2-D. But overall, it's a beautifully crafted story of drama and romance. Expand
RosewoodJun 10, 2013
This movie is a HUGE surprise walking in I thought this movie would be boring, but I got a really interesting movie with likable characters and stunning visuals Some over acting in some parts and the soundtrack of the movie could turn youThis movie is a HUGE surprise walking in I thought this movie would be boring, but I got a really interesting movie with likable characters and stunning visuals Some over acting in some parts and the soundtrack of the movie could turn you off but if you stuck around Django Unchained you could handle this Expand
BenihanaMay 13, 2013
With expectations of the flashy Roaring 1920s, I was certainly given the experience I wanted, albeit to a certain degree. Baz Luhrmanns style has certainly left a footprint in the way we visually enjoy a film, however I felt that the cameraWith expectations of the flashy Roaring 1920s, I was certainly given the experience I wanted, albeit to a certain degree. Baz Luhrmanns style has certainly left a footprint in the way we visually enjoy a film, however I felt that the camera cuts to new angles and takes away from the film by a small margin. The Great Gatsby contains an excellent cast (With my money on Maguire winning Best Supporting Actor at next years Oscars) and a story that remains intact even with Luhrmanns visual flair. Like the book, Maybe this film will be appreciated with time. Expand
jdubzMay 13, 2013
I think that, ultimately, The Great Gatsby is a success for Baz, and especially for the actors. Personally, I feel that Baz's over-the-top style works for the source material, where major themes include materialism, greed, and flaunting ofI think that, ultimately, The Great Gatsby is a success for Baz, and especially for the actors. Personally, I feel that Baz's over-the-top style works for the source material, where major themes include materialism, greed, and flaunting of wealth. I think that the movie does an amazing job of commenting on all of the social aspects that are discussed in Fitzgerald's novel. The only reason I could see people being upset about this film is because of the soundtrack. Personally, I loved the integration of old and new music, I think it is a good way to bring Gatsby to a moder audience and it shows how relevant the novel still is, but I could see where people would not agree. Besides the directing and scenic design, I also think that the acting was superb. DiCaprio did an amazing job portraying the complicated character that is Gatsby. Edgerton and Mulligan did a great job portraying the Buchanans. I also liked how many of the lines in the script came *directly* from the novel, for instance "Gatsby, What Gatsby?" is one of the most famous lines in literature, and I was excited to see that it was kept in, along with many others. Only two things really bothered me about the film. 1, the insistant words that showed up on screen. It would have been fine for one or two scenes, but it became annoying after a while in my opinion. And 2, the fact that Nick Carraway has discussions with a doctor throughout the film to write a book about Gatsby, I dont understand why it could not have been narrated without an excuse of an explanation, which was not in the original novel. Expand
GHopp8May 14, 2013
Luhrmann's take on Gatsby is not perfect, the modern music mixed with the tradition is slightly distasteful, but in ways brings things up to date, while still keeping the traditional mystery that encompassed the roaring 20's. The camera workLuhrmann's take on Gatsby is not perfect, the modern music mixed with the tradition is slightly distasteful, but in ways brings things up to date, while still keeping the traditional mystery that encompassed the roaring 20's. The camera work in the opening scenes is extremely fast paced, and full of stunning shots, yet it's reminiscent of the novel in this way. It begins as a fast paced piece of life and action, and slows down to capture it's essence. What really makes this Gatsby so fantastic is that is so accurately captures the spirit of the novel. The acting is superb, with Leonardo handing in a typical mesmerizing performance, while Toby Maguire stuns as Nick. Joel Edgerton and Carey Mulligan give the genuine nature of Tom and Daisy, while maintaining the vast carelessness of the two that's necessary for the magic. Lhurmann's masterpiece doesn't transport me back to the 20's, or to Gatsby's parties, but instead takes me into the heart of a man clung on hope, hope that tomorrow we WILL stretch our arms farther. That's where Lhurmann goes right, he captures the spirit of the novel, a feat that is worthy of praise. Expand
lehugginMay 22, 2013
This movie looks exactly like Moulin Rouge transported to the 1920s in New York. It's a beautiful feast that those of us who are under thirty will identify with and love. It is not an uplifting riotous good story. It's Fizgerald, updated andThis movie looks exactly like Moulin Rouge transported to the 1920s in New York. It's a beautiful feast that those of us who are under thirty will identify with and love. It is not an uplifting riotous good story. It's Fizgerald, updated and green screened. And I loved it. Expand
CriticWesMay 25, 2013
THE GREAT GATSBY
The Great Gatsby stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, and Joel Edgerton. It was directed by Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge!, Romeo Juliet, Australia).
This film is an adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's
THE GREAT GATSBY
This film is an adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's famed novel The Great Gatsby. It is the story of Nick Carraway (Maguire), an aspiring writer, who moves to New York to work as a bondsman. Nick becomes intrigued by his mysterious and wealthy neighbor, Jay Gatsby (DiCaprio). Gatsby invites Nick to one of his lavish parties in order to reconnect with Nick's cousin, Daisy Buchanan (Mulligan).
If you're a huge fan of the book and expect no liberties to be taken from the story, you will not be happy about this film.
That being said, if you want to see an all around great movie and have an open mind to Baz Luhrmann's style, you'll love this movie. The sets, the color, the cars, and the costumes were fantastic. I even liked how they mixed the modern music with the musical styles of the roaring twenties (which may be a turn off for some).
The acting was good all around, but Leonardo DiCaprio was great. He seems to get better with every role he plays and he was a wonderful fit for Gatsby.
This was a great love story, filled with romance, mystery, thrills and extravagance. At a run time of 142 minutes, I never felt like it was too long and in my opinion, it was paced perfectly.
I do feel like you will miss out if you don't see it in 3D. With the lavish colors and sets, it really makes you feel like you're there and I recommend spending a few extra bucks catch this one in 3D.
It's funny, I heard a lot of bad things about this film before I had a chance to see it, but as the movie progressed, I was hard pressed to find anything I didn't like about it. I enjoyed it from beginning to finish.
You will like this if you liked Moulin Rouge! or Luhrmann's Romeo Juliet. On a side note, I do think it's geared towards a younger crowd. I give this movie an "A".

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
Aquaris475Sep 22, 2013
When I saw this movie, I had no idea what to expect. I mainly wanted to see this because of its ensemble cast, but after watching it, I can safely say it is so far 2013's best film. I found the story of the film to be pretty well written.When I saw this movie, I had no idea what to expect. I mainly wanted to see this because of its ensemble cast, but after watching it, I can safely say it is so far 2013's best film. I found the story of the film to be pretty well written. It's very interesting, and with its fine acting, the film kept me off the edge of my seat, anticipating what will happen next. I have yet to read the book, so I have no idea how much it stays true to the source novel. The cast does a great job as their roles. Leonardo and Toby kill it as their roles, as they are the best actors in the entire film. The rest does great as well, though I think that some actors had potential to do more in the film. My favorite aspect of the movie is the visuals and the music. The film is visually exciting, as there are colors all over the place. this is best evident during the party scenes. The music is very catchy, and I constantly find myself humming along to the tunes this film has to offer. Really my only problem with this film certain scenes. I felt that there were a few scenes that were trying to go for something emotional to happen, but it never really got there, let alone didn't try to. For example, the scene where Tom and Myrtle break up could have gone somewhere in the film, but the characters never speak any dialogue again. Aside from these select scenes, The Great Gatsby is visually charming, well acted, and musically catchy, making up for what I believe is the best film of the year so far. Expand
willscottMay 27, 2013
This film is one of the best I've seen for a while! I haven't read the book, so had no preconception of what it was going to be like. I loved the use of vivid colours and symbolism throughout the film, and I found the film really intriguing.This film is one of the best I've seen for a while! I haven't read the book, so had no preconception of what it was going to be like. I loved the use of vivid colours and symbolism throughout the film, and I found the film really intriguing. It really gets in your head and plays with your mind. Overall, a thought-provoking, yet enjoyable film with an awesome soundtrack! I'm definitely going to read the book now! Expand
SharP1007May 28, 2013
I entered a special preview of The Great Gatsby with quite high expectations. I had heard a lot about the star-studded production, the released trailers were quite appealing, and the film was receiving quite good reviews abroad since itsI entered a special preview of The Great Gatsby with quite high expectations. I had heard a lot about the star-studded production, the released trailers were quite appealing, and the film was receiving quite good reviews abroad since its Cannes premier.

As the movie started I realised the expectations would be matched as the movie is full of stunning visuals and dazzling scenes, Baz Luhrmann style, which are only enhanced by the perfected 3D effect. The choice for shooting the film in 3D created quite a controversy early on, but I believe everyone can now see that this only added to the glamour effect of the 20s.

The movie is roughly split into two parts the first one being the alluring gratifying party scenes and the other being a more melancholic side of the story when the events really start to unravel. The glitter, glamour of the party scenes complemented with modern party songs from Fergie and will.i.am brought the audience as close as possible to the party, while 'haunting' tunes from Lana Del Rey and Florence and the Machine integrated in the emotional scenes worked beautifully. The soundtrack which was penned and produced by Jay-Z, brought the right amount of jazz in this 20s adaptation.

The film narration by Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) might have been a bit slow-moving in the beginning, but it set up the necessary New York background, especially for viewers who had not read the book and were not familiar with the story. His fascination with neighbour Jay Gatsby, played by Leonardo di Caprio, who seems unable to produce any substandard work lately, is felt throughout the film. He is seen at times as the extra wheel in the relationship between Gatsby and Daisy (Carey Mulligan), but he is the one there constantly for Gatsby, even before he showed total faith in the stranger he barely knew.

Despite the glitz and glamour, the film's roots are deep in the novel it is adapted from and the memorable emotions of the book are transformed wonderfully in the movie, with words sometimes typed on the screen and direct quotes, notably the ones at the end taken directly from the novel, and other subtle references, major of which was the innuendo of the original novel cover. The film does not fail to address the themes in the novel and presents them in a way which establishes them as themes very applicable to the life of today.

Overall, the film takes the audience on a ride from the nonchalance high life of the 20s to the corrupt fall of the characters as hope and dreams are crashing around them. With Nick's guidance, the story speaks strongly, and the mellow atmosphere of the novel is properly brought to life.
alexakMay 30, 2013
I thought this movie was wonderful! The book is one of my all-time favorites and the movie does the book great justice. I really like how the movie stayed on script with the book, the important elements of the book were portrayed within theI thought this movie was wonderful! The book is one of my all-time favorites and the movie does the book great justice. I really like how the movie stayed on script with the book, the important elements of the book were portrayed within the movie. The acting was wonderful and each actor was perfectly placed in their role. Leo did a great job at Gatsby and the other actors and actresses did exceptionally well also. I really like how the director incorporated modern hip-hop in the movie instead of playing the traditional 1920's jazz that I assumed would have been in the movie. I would recommend this movie to everyone! Expand
NobodysCriticJun 6, 2013
I went into this movie thinking it would be alright because im not a fan of baz's but i had read the book so i saw it because i read the novel. this movie blew me away, the acting was excellent and perfectly picked for each part, the storyI went into this movie thinking it would be alright because im not a fan of baz's but i had read the book so i saw it because i read the novel. this movie blew me away, the acting was excellent and perfectly picked for each part, the story great if you are into that kind of story like a romantic very dramatic one with little action but thats okay i felt like the modern music and style was a great addition to add to the movie. now comparison between the novel and the movie are just alike but with few changes to make it into a better movie based off the novel. the cinematography in the movie was great i loved the color or filter that baz's brought into this dark world it looked great and the 3d was ok but nothing exceptional. overall this was a very good movie that many people should see but dont expect a lot of action. Expand
killian13Aug 13, 2013
the great gatsby was a excellent and great movie
this is the best adaptation of fitzgerald's novel
all the cast was excellent especially leonardo dicaprio and tobey maguire
JohnnyStephensAug 25, 2013
There's never been a film like this!!! A masterpiece!!!! One of the best films ever made, and one of Leo's best pictures!!!! Baz Luhrmann has a gift!!!!
JgatzAug 31, 2013
As a reader of the F Scott Fitzgerald novel and watcher of the, Robert Redford, film The Great Gatsby I loved the new film. The New film only reinforced my admiration of this timeless story. Green Light
film_bugAug 13, 2013
Exciting and thought-provoking. A talented cast, along with stunning visuals think Moulin Rouge capture the imagination and curiosity of its viewers. It kept me well at the edge of my seat, guessing and second guessing the charactersExciting and thought-provoking. A talented cast, along with stunning visuals think Moulin Rouge capture the imagination and curiosity of its viewers. It kept me well at the edge of my seat, guessing and second guessing the characters involved. As the story unfolds, "ooo"s and "ahh"s are likely to escape your lips as it did mine. Expand
Corwin86Dec 4, 2013
Emotional film which has in the great interpretation of Di Caprio (and I say this as someone who usually can hardly appreciate him), and in the wise use of certain phrases/sections of the book, its strength.

Overall, one of the best

Overall, one of the best movies, based on a book, I've ever seen .

That said I understand any negative reviews: the style of Luhrmann is sleek and baroque, almost to touch the grotesque... it's a give or take.

But I do not give a 10 because, in the new century, we are still in the hands of producers such as Jay-Z, that put the money and still want to decide on things that are not within their competence, creating disasters... in this case, inserting improbable musical interludes within the film: real advertising, not even disguised.

I also appreciate the film for this reason: the criticism of the wealth as the only foundation of respect for others, every description of corruption decided by money... this point and crowns Jay- Z (real seller of the mass, other than "producer", musical or not).

By now you have no more social distinctions or skin color... we have a man that personifies the power of money, corruption, and fraud to the masses... and has a dark skin... and this means nothing...
Shift857May 9, 2015
Great movie. I didn't like the book very much, but the movie was very good. Dicaprio plays Gatsby perfectly. He acts bad acting. If he seems like he's not the right person for the role, thats good. Gatsby is described in the book as soundingGreat movie. I didn't like the book very much, but the movie was very good. Dicaprio plays Gatsby perfectly. He acts bad acting. If he seems like he's not the right person for the role, thats good. Gatsby is described in the book as sounding almost as if he is going out of the way to sound and appear to be "old money". All roles were cast perfectly. Very few negatives to this movie. Expand
tania9torresApr 3, 2014
This is a story that lots of us have heard of. I personally enjoy this movie more than the old one. The main thing I like is that the creator could link the times when the Gatsby is from and nowadays. The costumes and decorations were fromThis is a story that lots of us have heard of. I personally enjoy this movie more than the old one. The main thing I like is that the creator could link the times when the Gatsby is from and nowadays. The costumes and decorations were from 'there, but the music was from our time. Some of the music were following the style ofjazz and some were just like dubstep, which helped to notice tge difference between two worlds. However, behind that, I felt like I am there with Gatsby and other characters, feeling everything they feel. Good new production, but I reccomend to read the book before watching. Expand
DanRichJun 13, 2014
The Great Gatsby looks to be very simple, but it actually hides a very complex story that is more than a romantic, high society, what ever story. charismatic Jay Gatsby uses all of New York to weave his shell game. It is so well written thatThe Great Gatsby looks to be very simple, but it actually hides a very complex story that is more than a romantic, high society, what ever story. charismatic Jay Gatsby uses all of New York to weave his shell game. It is so well written that when reading a lot of reviews, professional and not, so many do not see the forest through the trees. What Mr. Fitzgerald has done is woven multiple stories into one character, and made it look easy. The movie was well done on all aspects Expand
MarickOct 26, 2014
Let me to say first. I have not seen the original film. (I mean the one in 1974). For me this film is one of the best films seen. Leonardo DiCaprio other actors, playing in a very pleasant way. Music is also very good, even impressed me.
jlhg11Jan 29, 2015
One of those few movies that gives its book incredible life (not saying it necessarily reflects the book).
Great soundtrack. Leo does wonderful.
Spiderman is definitely not my favorite actor by an stretch but he fits in great.
IntelliCriticOct 20, 2015
"Will you still love me, when I'm no longer young..." are the words to the chorus of The Great Gatsby's theme song. That fact of the matter is that I will absolutely still love this film when its no longer young. Sure, some may criticize its"Will you still love me, when I'm no longer young..." are the words to the chorus of The Great Gatsby's theme song. That fact of the matter is that I will absolutely still love this film when its no longer young. Sure, some may criticize its lack of subtlety and tender pace that were characteristic of The Great Gatsby novel, but few can deny this film's masterful portrayal of key characters and the orgastic yet sickly vibe of the so-called "Roaring Twenties." Heart-shattering the plot, amazing the visuals, and skilled are the cast in this ambitious interpretation of Fitzgerald's book. Make sure to read the book before seeing The Great Gatsby, as it does speed by some important ideas at the pace of a motion picture. Expand
UbervaagDec 26, 2015
Stunning movie. The music, vivid colors, amazing scenery, all combined
in such a beautiful fashion. The movie perfectly fit Gatsby's dream, it
felt so euphoric and dreamy, but at the same time so sensible and real. An entertaining movie
Stunning movie. The music, vivid colors, amazing scenery, all combined
in such a beautiful fashion. The movie perfectly fit Gatsby's dream, it
felt so euphoric and dreamy, but at the same time so sensible and real.
An entertaining movie I'll definitely consider to re-watch when high.
smijatovJul 9, 2013
Luhrmann has been one of my favourite directors solely relying on his mastery with "Moulin Rouge". I enjoyed "Romeo+Juliet" also, but nowhere near as much as MR, and then Australia was kind of a let down. His visual style, however, has alwaysLuhrmann has been one of my favourite directors solely relying on his mastery with "Moulin Rouge". I enjoyed "Romeo+Juliet" also, but nowhere near as much as MR, and then Australia was kind of a let down. His visual style, however, has always been consistently amazing and his films are a true feast for the eyes.

"The Great Gatsby" continues this trend, and possibly pushes it further. With Luhrmann's trademark great and innovative cinematography, editing, costume design and art direction, Gatsby is technically top-notch. The impressive line up for the soundtrack also adds layers and layers to the film, in a choice similar to "Moulin Rouge's" soundtrack back in 2001. While some have complained about the over-stimulus visually and the over-the-top costumes and parties depiction in the film, I felt as if it was quite appropriate. It truly showed the lavishness and shallowness of those events, costumes and places, while at the same time allowing for the audience to see the emptiness of Gatsby's life.

My only concern was the length of the film, but it is manageable. Almost as long as "Australia" was, it still managed to feel reasonably lengthy, instead of being a drag.
Overall, "Gatsby" is a well-executed film with lavish sets, amazing costumes, beautiful soundtrack and all other technical aspects. Acting is rather good, too, with DiCaprio having a standout performance, while Mulligan and Maguire are rather sidelined in their conventional acting and do not quite push the envelope far enough. Nonetheless, it is a good film and I'd recommend watching it!
DarkCriticMay 16, 2013
Baz Luhrmann returns for his new fifth film, The Great Gatsby. Since the dark romantic edge of Romeo Juliet and the goofy over the top musical of Moulin Rouge, The Great Gatsby takes the new wonderful view of F. Scott Fitzgerald's greatestBaz Luhrmann returns for his new fifth film, The Great Gatsby. Since the dark romantic edge of Romeo Juliet and the goofy over the top musical of Moulin Rouge, The Great Gatsby takes the new wonderful view of F. Scott Fitzgerald's greatest novel. In 1920's, Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) is a bond salesman who tells his story about Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a mysterious businessman who lives a rich mansion and he desperately fells in love with Daisy (Carey Mulligan) who still lives with her rich husband, Tom (Joel Edgerton). Carraway spends quality time with Gatsby at the huge party that has a terrific design sets and a good looking people. Gatsby and Daisy are fell in love for a long time and they both have a good chemistry to each other. The Great Gatsby is a nicely well done movie with great acting, great effects, and great characters. The visuals are very astounding, while watching in 3D. Tobey Maguire did really good job as Nick Carraway and finally return his acting career since the Spider-Man Trilogy. Leonardo DiCaprio did a fantastic job for portraying as Jay Gatsby in his good looks and acting like Orsen Welles. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Baz Luhrmann's work for his fast paced and his over the top performances, but I think the film did a really good job and Luhrmann has a great taste for making a huge poetic film. Much more better than Romeo Juliet or Moulin Rouge, but at least it has flaws. Thumbs Up. Expand
Forrestgump1Jun 4, 2013
"The Great Gatsby was not as "great" as it should have been, but features some of the most dazzling visuals, outstanding soundtrack and just breathtaking performances across the board. Baz Luhrman has given the classic novel the film"The Great Gatsby was not as "great" as it should have been, but features some of the most dazzling visuals, outstanding soundtrack and just breathtaking performances across the board. Baz Luhrman has given the classic novel the film adaptation it deserves" B+ Expand
Andys_ReviewsJun 3, 2013
A film with some great set pieces; I found the party scenes particularly spectacular. It’s beautifully shot and I’m quite glad I saw it in 2D as I couldn’t see how 3D would have enhanced it much. I found the music interesting with the big setA film with some great set pieces; I found the party scenes particularly spectacular. It’s beautifully shot and I’m quite glad I saw it in 2D as I couldn’t see how 3D would have enhanced it much. I found the music interesting with the big set pieces being handed over to rapper Jay-Z (also an Executive Producer), but it was the original music by Craig Armstrong that I found most enthralling. There are several well known themes subtly placed in the soundtrack and I found both refreshing and interesting. All the performances were great with DiCaprio and Mulligan getting top billing; but I thought Tobey Maguire was equally good. I guess I’ll have to read the book to be able to decide just how good an adaptation this is; but for now I found it quite a satisfying watch with plenty of drama to keep me entertained. If I was to be super critical I would have to say I found the character of Gatsby a little one-dimensional, but having said that it’s still well worth a look if you get the chance.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.5/10
TVJerryMay 15, 2013
Director Baz Luhrmann creates extravagant and exceptional cinematic imagery. The first 90 minutes of this 2:23 long movie bristle with electric energy: dazzling mise en scene, dynamic pacing and gorgeous cinematography. Once the dramaticDirector Baz Luhrmann creates extravagant and exceptional cinematic imagery. The first 90 minutes of this 2:23 long movie bristle with electric energy: dazzling mise en scene, dynamic pacing and gorgeous cinematography. Once the dramatic conflict grabs hold, it slams to a stop and starts to feel long. Leonardo DiCaprio gives a subdued, but nuanced performance in the title role. Tobey Maguire (Carraway) is appropriately bland and the ladies are lovely. The soundtrack, a mashup of 20s period, jazz, hip hop and R&B, is outstanding right thru the credits. This is a big, glamorous motion picture. A bit emotionally slight, but impressive to appreciate. Expand
TheQuietGamerNov 21, 2016
I feel like this movie is going to have the most value to those who have actually read the book. Not that those unfamiliar with F. Scott Fitzgerald's literary masterpiece can't enjoy themselves. It's just that part of the movie's appeal isI feel like this movie is going to have the most value to those who have actually read the book. Not that those unfamiliar with F. Scott Fitzgerald's literary masterpiece can't enjoy themselves. It's just that part of the movie's appeal is seeing the story brought to life with visual exuberance.

It's a gorgeous film. One that's bright, dazzling, and teeming with life. While perhaps a bit to excessive for some, the visuals have a way of bringing the events to life and showing the full, excessive glory of Gatsby's parties. The soundtrack is just as exciting and flashy.

As far as the actual adaption goes, it's pretty faithful. A lot of the dialog is pulled right from the book and the plot does a great job of following the book's core plot elements. Naturally some minor deviations occur in the form of a few liberties taken.

Subplots such as Nick's romantic relationships have been cut as well as a few moments meant to flesh out characters further such as the book's talk of Daisy's daughter have been cut in order to focus on the books main themes and events. There are even a few added subplots including an entirely new one centered around Nick's ultimate fate that plays a key role in how the story is told.

Most of these changes aren't really a big deal at all. The one's that are involve exclusion from the story's conclusion. In order to avoid spoilers, let's just say that significant events that occurred during the book's finale are strangely missing here. A shame given that those moments served as powerful ways in which Fitzgerald fleshed out some of the more potent themes of his book.

Overall though it's still a pretty great adaption, if not entirely faithful. It hits on the most memorable events from the source material and brings them to life onscreen with considerable flash and style. The talented cast each portray their characters in ways that fit the book's depiction of them near-perfectly. Fitzgerald wrote an excellent story with The Great Gatsby. One that has done an incredible job of transcending time. The movie proves to be a great way to experience it. One with a lot of visual treats to excite audiences.
matteo704May 10, 2013
Contrary to what the majority of critics are saying about Luhrmann's Gatsby, there is a lot to love about the picture.2013's Gatsby contains everything that fans of the book have come to expect: grande scenes, vivacious music, and a world ofContrary to what the majority of critics are saying about Luhrmann's Gatsby, there is a lot to love about the picture.2013's Gatsby contains everything that fans of the book have come to expect: grande scenes, vivacious music, and a world of shallowness that becomes to much for the narrator (and audiences) to handle. The cast is stunning all around, from Jason Clarke's unstable Wilson to DiCaprio's glowing Gatsby, the performances are A-list. Tobey Maguire was brilliant as Nick Carraway, capturing the dry wit that Fitzgerald frequently utilized in the original novel. Unfortunately, it is not until the final act of the film that Luhrmann's direction truly allows the cast to genuinely act. The movie's first two acts were more focused on the glitz and glamour of the Roarin' Twenties than effectively setting the scene. Nonetheless, the colors of this adaptation are a breathe of fresh air in comparison to previous efforts. Overall, despite having an excess of flash and a sometimes effective ("Love is Blindness" at the film's climax)-often inappropriate (Jay-Z's "$100 Bill" used literally whenever the director saw fit) inclusion of modern rock and hip-hop into what is supposed to be a classic Jazz Age story, Luhrmann's clear passion for the work and a perfect cast more than makes up for it. Definitely worth the $9.50 Expand
grandpajoe6191Aug 25, 2015
Despite lacking depth in some parts, "The Great Gatsby" is a excellent piece of artwork that not only stays true and faithful to its original source, but also mixes the creative genius thawed out from the illustrious mind of Baz Luhrmann.
kifozemMay 13, 2013
1st Time

Good The Great Gatsby was a Spectacle that has to be seen in 3D. DiCaprio stole the show and Luhrmann really did a fantastic job getting behind the sentiment of F. Scott's story. Bad The beginning half of the story felt very
1st Time

Bad The beginning half of the story felt very buggy and some of the films music really doesn't fit with the scenes they are in. This is a very unconventional film and its made in a way that respects the music over whats happening on screen instead.

Overall Definitely see this movie in 3D only. It has fantastic acting and needs to be seen on the screen. It can be jarring at first but give it a shot. While this isnt my Favorite Luhrmann Film(Moulin Rouge), it is good and needs your attention.

*** 3 out of 5 Stars!

2nd time

OK so the second Time through The Great Gatsby, and seeing it with a different perspective... really focusing on the meaning behind the shots, music and cutting I've come to really appreciate Luhrmanns work even more. since most of you either have seen it or not seen it i will just say this when watching it or reflecting upon it. Look at the fast jittery scenes as an illusion of what was expected in that time period, a sort of Facade for what was really going on. Look at the slowed down bits as a realistic view of a romantics dream. the whole story hinges on Gatsby's love for Daisy and he goes to extreme heights, even jeopardizing himself just for her. i don't want to give away the ending to anyone who hasn't seen or read the story but this is a tried and true look at what people who truly love will do for other people while others who only want safety are willing to give up.

***` 3 1/2 stars out of 5
lasttimeisawMay 18, 2013
Watched this topical Baz Luhrmann extravaganza in a plain 2D version, adapted from a world-famous classic, the daunting comparison is predestined, lucky me for being completely oblivious of the original novel and its earlier cinema adaption,Watched this topical Baz Luhrmann extravaganza in a plain 2D version, adapted from a world-famous classic, the daunting comparison is predestined, lucky me for being completely oblivious of the original novel and its earlier cinema adaption, so I feel privileged to take my pleasure from viewing this film without being nettled by any premeditated notions whatsoever, blessing the ignorance!

Zero expectation does assuage the nitpicking impulse, this period film establishes its unparalleled visual spectacle which its additional charge of a 3D fee could be considerably goaded, it has been the first time I wish I could watched it with the unease gizmo since INCEPTION (2010, 9/10). The upbeat Hip-Hop infused party music and retro-induced melancholiac strains (now I can not get Lana Del Rey’s YOUNG AND BEAUTIFUL out of my mind) is another novelty rarely being presented in a period drama, Luhrmann again victoriously testifies himself is the maestro of contemporary cinema’s flamboyance and garishness (without any pejorative overtone).

The long-time-no-see former Spidey Tobey Maguire (who is still able to pass off as a twenty-some due to his perpetual baby-face) is the narrator of an ill-fated love story, and surprisingly he does occupy such a lengthy screen time, even outstays DiCaprio’s Gatsby. He is the observer, the bystander and a useful buffer between Gatsby and Daisy, Luhrmann and his co-writer Craig Pearce intentionally sacrifice his personal life (no relationship entanglement at all) to intensify his unspeakable admiration towards Gatsby (a bromance in the period time?), he is the one who is captivated by Gatsby’s beguiling friendship, his grandstanding lifestyle and the money to sustain all these grandiosity and opulence. Maguire is impeccable as a wide-eyed third wheel, a surviver who is destined to tell the tale.

Then comes the problematic couple, Gatsby and Daisy, both being introduced under the heightened and pompous settings, Mulligan’s Daisy is first seen by her slender legs swinging with curtains fluttering around, a spoiled flapper subordinated by male chauvinism (who sincerely hope her young daughter would be a fool since it is the perfect niche for a girl). Gatsby, whose front officially being spotlighted during the lavish party, with tender golden light lingers much longer than it should be, DiCaprio’s over-familiar persona almost prompts me into laughter. Both thespians are impassioned with the best they can offer, their first meeting in the film is a marvelous romantic gambit, and Baz still gets it!

I must be too optimistic to say DiCaprio may stand a chance to win over Oscar’s attention this time, his red-faced yelling outburst during the conflict is his Oscar-bait, but makes me squirm a bit, since it is his stock antics. For Mulligan, her role has an innate defect for being the collateral culprit of the denouement, so the misogynous judgement aside, Mulligan is praiseworthy in balancing the morally equivocal personality with her dainty style. My only cast gripe is the usually-outstanding Edgerton, as Daisy’s gentrified husband Tom, Edgerton is too vulgar in physique and looks like a nouveau-riche doesn’t tally with the chic surroundings.

A few technical glitches, the editing is a shade too fast in the first half, noticeably during the happy-moment sequence of the reunion, the glitz does hurt my eyes. Then near the end, the caption-floating of Fitzgerald’s text is a lame maneuver, we all know there are too many to tell in the book, however poetic it is, a more subtle approach is recommended.

It is an over-romanticized saga, the final telephone call good-heartedly bookends it, even facing the demise, at least a tinge of warmth manages to run through our senses, one may call it over sentimental, others may refer it as poetic license, all in all, I think it is worth your ticket, and I cannot believe I would say that, even in the despised 3D form.
ExpectonerDec 30, 2013
A great story, with great actors, with a amazing director, with good spécial effects !
Well why give an 8 then ?
Cause i realy dont like RNB music in a Film who the action is in 1930 ...
Except this it's a very good film
counts0981Jun 28, 2013
Very underrated movie that had me gripped the whole time. Was it bizarre and over the top? Absolutely, but it wouldn't be a Baz Luhrman movie if it wasn't. My advice is to sit back, don't ask questions and be marveled by the this spectacle ofVery underrated movie that had me gripped the whole time. Was it bizarre and over the top? Absolutely, but it wouldn't be a Baz Luhrman movie if it wasn't. My advice is to sit back, don't ask questions and be marveled by the this spectacle of a movie. Expand
SwatiSep 22, 2013
All I can say is that you should never listen to the critics. They are so full of themselves. The best they can do is take someone's hard work and turn it on its head. Leo nails the plight and desperation of Gatsby with such intensity thatAll I can say is that you should never listen to the critics. They are so full of themselves. The best they can do is take someone's hard work and turn it on its head. Leo nails the plight and desperation of Gatsby with such intensity that you can't help but feel for him. I wished to be there for him and to tell him that everything would be all right. I've not read the book and frankly the plot seems very generic. A man from humble beginnings rises through society for the sake of winning the girl he lost several years ago. Yet the book is hailed as 'The Great American Novel.' I don't know why that is, but the movie only shines because of Leo. That man knows the most intimate secrets of playing a character and bringing it to life. Of course one may argue that there was no electronic music and rap in the 1920s, and yet Moulin Rouge! didn't seem to have historical accuracy going against it when it received critical acclaim, as I don't think Nirvana existed in the nineteenth century. Carey Mulligan also deserves a mention. Expand
survivorfan989Jun 16, 2013
This is a tricky one to review as I did enjoy it but it was a rather odd film. Very good acting, especially from the leads, but as great as Leo DiCaprio was I couldn't help but get annoyed by his character and of that term 'Old Sport'. TheThis is a tricky one to review as I did enjoy it but it was a rather odd film. Very good acting, especially from the leads, but as great as Leo DiCaprio was I couldn't help but get annoyed by his character and of that term 'Old Sport'. The party scenes looked amazing and where a clear highlight of the film. It got a little mellow and slower towards the middle before picking up more towards the end, but overall an entertaining film that should please many, but it had potential to be a bit better! Expand
samichsupernovaMay 10, 2013
As a huge fan of DiCaprio, Mulligan, Fitzgerald and Lurhmann, I went in with pretty high expectations. Sure enough, the acting, direction and script are top-notch, if a little too faithful to the source material in letter, while being wildlyAs a huge fan of DiCaprio, Mulligan, Fitzgerald and Lurhmann, I went in with pretty high expectations. Sure enough, the acting, direction and script are top-notch, if a little too faithful to the source material in letter, while being wildly all over the place in tone, leading to a bloated, overlong production.

That said, I'd rather take something ambitious over the safe treatment any day: within these 2 1/2 hours, there are moments of incredible power, and the excesses of the time period are well demonstrated through the wicked party scenes.

Gatsby's parties are the highlight recalling modern mega-raves or top-notch Vegas clubs with the energy amped to 11, their bombast and spectacle threaten to overwhelm the rest of the film. If only Luhrmann could find a way to ensure that his film's visual dynamism didn't go head-to-head with anything that might be considered subtle... the director's over-abundant style robs the film of is realism: it takes place in a world that's decorated, lit, and shot as if it were an ethereal realm somehow divorced from the everyday, and like its titular character, the film does go above and beyond what's needed to impress.

Therein lies the film's biggest problem: the weight of Gatsby's ambitions and the non-stop eye-popping visuals coupled with lightning fast editing takes a toll on the flow of the story. For most of the film, Luhrmann doesn't let his scenes attain an organic flow of their own. His camera swivels through the air as if more interested in the set decoration than his own stars, and the edits rarely slow down even during the most intimate sequences.

Still, the performances are great all across the board. DiCaprio is far and away the standout, Maguire's Carroway is thankfully subtle (although his voice overs get to be a bit much), Carey Mulligan (my waifu) brings a real heart and soul to an underwritten and unlikeable Daisy (an unfortunate result of the film following its source material too slavishly), and Joel Edgerton makes a great Tom Buchanan. Perhaps it's telling of the strength of the source material and cast that the human element shines through despite Luhrmann's excesses.
emnixJun 5, 2013
Ive never read the book so i dont know how well it does to compare, however, i thought this movie had a real sense of life to it. it was captivating and i have no idea why the movie got such a low score from critics.
RecomediaMay 19, 2013
The Great Gatsby. The quintessential novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald about the disillusionment of the decadent wealth of the 1920s and a cautionary tale about the American dream seems like a no-brainer to turn into a blockbuster film. But doesThe Great Gatsby. The quintessential novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald about the disillusionment of the decadent wealth of the 1920s and a cautionary tale about the American dream seems like a no-brainer to turn into a blockbuster film. But does director Baz Luhrmann’s stylized vision of the time period do the book justice, old sport?

Read more http://www.recomedia.net/filmtv/the-great-gatsby/
The-TruthMay 13, 2013
The movie was just great, it had a great story and depicted the Roaring 20's wonderfully. Great Gatsby veterans might not prefer this version over Robert's back in the 70's but it's really entertaining and worth watching. The only problem IThe movie was just great, it had a great story and depicted the Roaring 20's wonderfully. Great Gatsby veterans might not prefer this version over Robert's back in the 70's but it's really entertaining and worth watching. The only problem I had was some of the soundtrack, and by some, I mean Jay-Z. You read right, Jay-Z. I would of preffered jazz to depict the 20's alot better but the soundtrack didn't kill the movie so there's nothing to worry about it. Expand
UlquiorraMay 16, 2013
The atmosphere was absolutely amazing, one of the few movies that actually draws you in and makes you a part of the story. The plot on the other hand was rather weak. They should have made a greater story around the business side of things.The atmosphere was absolutely amazing, one of the few movies that actually draws you in and makes you a part of the story. The plot on the other hand was rather weak. They should have made a greater story around the business side of things. Why this spiderman fella was in the movie i do not know, he had absolutely nothing to bring to the story. i would normally rate this movie a 6 or 7, but the AMAZING MUSIC definitely made me press the 8 button. Add to your list of must have seen Expand
Voice0fReasonJun 10, 2013
I went into this movie having not-so high hopes for this movie. I heard from my friends that the people were casted incorrectly and that the story-line was OK and Leonardo DiCaprio was the only good thing in the movie. I was thoroughlyI went into this movie having not-so high hopes for this movie. I heard from my friends that the people were casted incorrectly and that the story-line was OK and Leonardo DiCaprio was the only good thing in the movie. I was thoroughly surprised at what I saw. I never read the book so I am not basing it off of that. I think that Toby McGuire did an excellent job at playing the role of Nick Carroway. Leo did an extraordinary job at playing Jay Gatsby. I enjoyed the movie and enjoyed the story-line. I tip my hat to you Baz for having a cool name and directing the movie very well. I enjoyed the dubstep sequences though most people didn't like that. i thought it brought a different feel to the film. A good film. I have to say at some parts it was alright and others it was great. It was pretty good, but not extraordinary. This is why I give it an 8/10. Expand
BlackfuryRisesJun 11, 2013
Great soundtrack, insane visuals, intense performances, and some good humor to boot. A sick adaptation of Gatsby. It far exceeded my expectations. The critics must be seeing a completely different film than me.
keyeleproJun 16, 2013
This movie completely captures the flavor of Fitzgerald's words with the images of Baz Luhrmann. I did not expect it to be REAL. I expected it to be romantic and impressionistic and it was. Strong performance by Leonard Dicaprio. HisThis movie completely captures the flavor of Fitzgerald's words with the images of Baz Luhrmann. I did not expect it to be REAL. I expected it to be romantic and impressionistic and it was. Strong performance by Leonard Dicaprio. His acting and the extravagance of the sets were well worth the price of admission to me. Expand
RevRonAug 20, 2013
I originally thought I wasn't going to enjoy this film because I feared it was going to be all flash with no substance as the special effects and odd choices of music would be the film's dominating elements. While the film has a lot of flashI originally thought I wasn't going to enjoy this film because I feared it was going to be all flash with no substance as the special effects and odd choices of music would be the film's dominating elements. While the film has a lot of flash and style, it still contained the heart of the novel and it was incredibly addicting and enthralling. Finally, the performances are amazing with Joel Edgerton really being the spotlight stealer in this one! Collapse
cheeseberger11Oct 19, 2013
Within the first ten minutes of this movie you know its a Baz Luhrman film. Baz tries to throw a modern spin on a 1920's flick in which he successfully executes. The characters were all over-acted which seems to be on purpose and, consideringWithin the first ten minutes of this movie you know its a Baz Luhrman film. Baz tries to throw a modern spin on a 1920's flick in which he successfully executes. The characters were all over-acted which seems to be on purpose and, considering the setting, was appropriate. Leonardo was the perfect man to play as Mr. Jay Gatsby and he executed flawlessly as always. The casting for all the other characters were also done extremely well. The movie did not stray from the infamous novel which was appreciated. Expand
jasonbowden1000Oct 13, 2013
Easily superior to both the 1974 and 1949 films, a gaudy, fast, noisy, overloaded, gorgeously detailed style matches the novel's smashed up atmosphere of distortion and excess. Convincing performances from the entire cast render charactersEasily superior to both the 1974 and 1949 films, a gaudy, fast, noisy, overloaded, gorgeously detailed style matches the novel's smashed up atmosphere of distortion and excess. Convincing performances from the entire cast render characters more lifelike than the novel. While it could be a perfect film, the director created a blemish by making the story Romeo and Juliet, when it is meant as Don Quixote. The almost cubist, many-sided Gatsby is more than a schmoozing opportunist because of his capacity for illusion that's what makes him "great" leaving him more than a little absurd in the emerging modernist world. He can't see that his earnest, midwestern, pioneering spirit now reaches for something fundamentally careless, insincere, and artificial, like Daisy Buchanan; this movie wrongly gives the impression of tragically unconsummated mutual devotion. While the forest is missed for the trees, this is still a very very fun movie, especially the mashed up styles in the soundtrack. Expand
mymediaSep 30, 2013
Be aware going in that this is a Baz Luhrmann movie so there is an interesting twist on the cinematography and music selections. This is an enjoyable movie with a fairly quick pace Quite enjoyable but not for everyone.
cbeers2513Nov 29, 2013
The Great Gatsby is perhaps the greatest American novel ever written. The novel deserves a perfect adaptation that captures its spirit as well as heartrending tragedy. Many have tried, most notably Robert Redford and his golden smile, but allThe Great Gatsby is perhaps the greatest American novel ever written. The novel deserves a perfect adaptation that captures its spirit as well as heartrending tragedy. Many have tried, most notably Robert Redford and his golden smile, but all have failed. Now, Baz Luhrmann, director of the critically divided Romeo and Juliet, attempts to tackle one of Hollywood's adaptations. The critics were once again thoroughly divided on his film, most claiming that Leonardo diCaprio made the movie as Gatsby shine but the film lacked the true heart of the book, replacing the important character development with over the top party scenes. The question is: We're the critics right? Or is this the Gatsby movie that Fitzgerald fans have been waiting for?
The story is told by Nick Carraway, played by Tobey Maguire, who is swept into the world of Gatsby's lavish Long Island parties. He learns that Gatsby, played by Leonardo Dicaprio, has one goal in his life: to reunite with his lost love Daisy Buchanan (Carey Mulligan), who has married to a wealthy billionaire named Tom (Joel Edgerton). The acting in this movie puts all prior iterations to shame. I will be wholeheartedly disappointed if DiCaprio does not take home Oscar gold for his performance as Jay Gatsby. This is the greatest performance of the year in one of the hardest roles to portray, featuring layers upon layers of emotional complexity, doubts, and forlorn love. Yet DiCaprio can do no wrong, flawlessly blending all of Gatsby's traits and mannerisms to create the quintessential Gatsby we all have dreamt for. Carey Mulligan also does extremely well, outshining all other Daisys by giving the lead a distinct personality and making viewers feel legitimately sorry for her, despite her inability to choose Gatsby over Tom. Even Edgerton is great, not acting as an inherently evil Tom, but a wealthy upper class man who can't cope with not getting everything he wants. The only fault in the acting department is Maguire. Although his performance isn't bad, his narrations feel extremely superficial, almost as if he was reading them for the first time instead of taking ownership of his own thoughts. However, DiCaprio's insightful performance, which brought me to tears on multiple occasions, is breathtaking and allows the viewer to truly immerse themselves in the story.
One major complaint of critics is the fact that the movie focuses more on visual imagery and eye candy than the actual story. For the first twenty minutes, I thought they were right. These opening scenes were extremely rushed, allowing for no character development and annoying me as I tried to piece together what each chopping edited scene was trying to tell me. But everything changed in the scene when Gatsby and Daisy first meet. This scene is so awkward, yet so beautiful. This is quite possibly one of my favorite movie scenes of the past few years, and after it, I disregarded the opening half hour and never looked back. Every interaction, every conversation, every kiss is flawlessly executed. The montage of their tour of Gatsby's mansion, which unfolds along with Lana del Ray's masterpiece "Young and Beautiful", is heartwarming and unforgettable, as you can see the perfect expression of newfound hope in both actors' eyes. From that point on, I enjoyed nearly every second of the movie, especially the tension-filled climax in the Plaza Hotel which also astounded me with its ability to play with my emotions. Even the creative licensing the movie takes is done well. Putting Nick in a mental institution after the events of the novel is an interesting and completely plausible interpretation of the story, which leads to an ending scene that I never would have expected. But it was done so well, now I can't see it being done any other way.
However, the movie isn't without faults. As said before, the first thirty minutes are a cluttered mess that almost sink the movie before it gets to its shining moments. Along with this, I do see where other critics are coming from when they say the parties are overdone. They undeniably are. Sometimes the movie focuses too much on the special effects and the guests rather than the extraordinary host, which occasionally disappoints. However, when the movie works, it really works.
The Great Gatsby is not a perfect adaptation of the Great American Novel, and I'm thoroughly convinced that such a thing cannot exist. However, this film is the best one out there and a great movie in general. It may focus on the parties too much and the opening really fails. However, old sport, everything else is just too good to overlook. DiCaprio gives a career-defining performance that, if the Academy has any sense, should net him Oscar gold. Every facet of the film, from the acting to the surprisingly effective soundtrack to the jaw-dropping special effects, works on many levels, and I'd be lying if I said that I was expecting the emotional impact I received. I, like Gatsby, believe in the green light. While this movie can never reach that level of perfection, just like Gatsby can never reach the green light across the sound, it should never die, just like Gatsby's extraordinary gift for hope. The Great Gatsby beats on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Follow me on twitter @cbeers2513
eagleeyevikingNov 29, 2013
A surprising emotional scope blended with good cinematography, a great soundtrack and very stylish direction gives The Great Gatsby a grand overall feel.
MobyZJan 14, 2014
I can't understand why the critics panned this movie. I thought it was one of the most visually brilliant films I have seen. The visual imagery has also been well used to capture the period, the characters, the plot, the emotions and the moodI can't understand why the critics panned this movie. I thought it was one of the most visually brilliant films I have seen. The visual imagery has also been well used to capture the period, the characters, the plot, the emotions and the mood of the movie. Leonardo DiCaprio turns in a fine performance and is well supported by Tobey Maguire. I enjoyed every bit of it. Expand
mvoelckerJan 28, 2014
Beautiful picture with really good actors and a interesting story, but the jay-z songs in the middle of the 20s NY scenario and the extremely computerized buildings and cities didn`t convince me.
B-RAXJun 30, 2014
I’ll have this soundtrack going though my head for the next couple of weeks. The Great Gatsby takes place in a futuristic feeling twenties which gives the movie a very entertaining yet confusing setting. The movie follows an average New YorkI’ll have this soundtrack going though my head for the next couple of weeks. The Great Gatsby takes place in a futuristic feeling twenties which gives the movie a very entertaining yet confusing setting. The movie follows an average New York Wall Street broker who takes an interest in his mysterious neighbor, Mr. Gatsby. It’s hard to say what this movie is really about without giving away too much. For a movie based on a critically acclaimed novel written in the the mid-twenties, it sure has a modern feel to it. This aspect of the film bugged me at first, but I quickly got used to it, falling into the surreal fantasy of Gatsby's world. I found this movie very entertaining and fun, all while being clever. The film had a very exaggerated feel to it, like a play on broadway. At first it was distracting but the style grew on me as the movie progressed. So I have to say acting was pretty good, Leonardo DiCaprio knocked it out of the park as usual with a great performance. On more of the downside the film lacked a sense of reality and pushed characters past the point of being believable. I felt it didn't really try to be anything it wasn't, and seemed to be pretty self-aware. The movie looked and sounded great. I recommend it for a different kind of movie watching experience. Expand
TEMMay 29, 2014
The cast is excellent and it all looks perfect. I suggest reading the book first as it makes the movie better. I like Jay Z so I have no problem with the music selections. Overall, a good movie but Fitzgerald's story ultimately drags theThe cast is excellent and it all looks perfect. I suggest reading the book first as it makes the movie better. I like Jay Z so I have no problem with the music selections. Overall, a good movie but Fitzgerald's story ultimately drags the movie down a little. Expand
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
A surprising emotional scope blended with good cinematography, a great soundtrack and very stylish direction gives Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby a grand overall feel.
RanSBuzzSep 13, 2014
"The Great Gatsby" is just another movie that proves Leonardo DeCaprio deserves an Oscar. Sure the movie was even more complicated than i expected, which made me feel less and less a fan of the movie, but the only thing that was 100% positive"The Great Gatsby" is just another movie that proves Leonardo DeCaprio deserves an Oscar. Sure the movie was even more complicated than i expected, which made me feel less and less a fan of the movie, but the only thing that was 100% positive was Leonardo Decaprio's acting. Amazing. Expand
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"The Great Gatsby" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

"The Great Gatsby" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: Extremely well acted with brilliant performances everywhere. Even Carey Mulligan (who I typically dislike) did an amazing job. You've come to expect it, but DiCaprio brought his A game. I think the most shocking to me was Tobey Maguire, who I usually find to be average on his best days. He did a great job too. Some people disliked the tone and felt that it strayed from the book, but I thought the tone was perfectly fine.

The Bad: The modern rap/dance/R&B soundtrack was distracting and very out of place. A few party scenes were too long and at times I got tired of watching slow-mo dance and debauchery set to Jay Z.
wornoutspinesJul 1, 2015
The simplicity behind the story is almost laughable, it’s been done, and it’s déjà-vu but The Great Gatsby plays its cards right. It’s starts with the execution, the directing, the photography and the acting is impressive. You can see BazThe simplicity behind the story is almost laughable, it’s been done, and it’s déjà-vu but The Great Gatsby plays its cards right. It’s starts with the execution, the directing, the photography and the acting is impressive. You can see Baz Luhrmann’s stamp throughout the film, it’s colorful, loud, and a bit in your face but it works because it fits Nick (Tobey Maguire)’s point of view. Nick’s the one telling the story, so the excess, the sensory overload, the overwhelming aspect of the fast life of the roaring 20s New York is exactly how a guy like Nick would experience it.

The director knows music and how to use it, and did an interesting job with it. The music of the past and the present are intertwined and it works. The familiarity of the present song are there but the 1920s beats takes you back and deeper into that lavish world.

The film is in its core a human story, with romance, drama, and a hint of mystery. The direction captures the themes and morals of the story really well but the actors’ performances bring it home. Tobey Maguire’s voice over and performance is nuanced, he’s an observer and a participant at the same time in the film. Leonardo DiCaprio is at the peak of his powers, in full command of his acting abilities, he’s brilliant in this film. Joel Edgerton, Elizabeth Debicki, and Isla Fisher should be mentioned because they were very good. Carey Mulligan is the one I wasn’t completely sold on the first time around - she looked too young - but watching it again I get it and understand how she could have been cast in this film.

The Great Gatsby is entertaining and quite captivating, Baz Luhrmann knows how to shoot grand epic love stories.

Written by @wornoutspines
GilbertoMay 18, 2013
The Great Gatsby starts weak. Everything felt too uneventful, the introduction of characters and their performances were overshadowed by the fast paced direction that seemed to give more importance to its bombastic and exuberant screenplayThe Great Gatsby starts weak. Everything felt too uneventful, the introduction of characters and their performances were overshadowed by the fast paced direction that seemed to give more importance to its bombastic and exuberant screenplay than anything else. Whats more, the script which is full of actual quotes from the book felt forced. Is as if Luhrmann wanted to draw every detail from the book as fast as possible and with little depth. Fortunately the movie eventually slows down and starts delivering a much more profound and interesting film. The scenes become longer and much more significant, and the performances from the great cast start to flourish. Leonardo DiCaprio is the highlight, delivering a very credible Gatsby that fits perfectly within the lines of the book. That is with Joel Edgerton also delivering an incredible performance as Tom. At the end. the movie then becomes a smooth combination of great story, acting and amazing cinematography, but never letting the latter outshine the former like it did in the first 15 minutes or so. Ultimately it is a very enjoyable film that effectively transcends the book into the big screen, and its one of the best movies of the year so far. Expand