8.0

1. Lyn
    May 30, 2011
    The Bataan Death March is one of the most riveting stories of WW II, and I was excited to see this film about a related event featuring a heroic rescue of American prisoners. The action and real-life heroes of the Philippine theater deserve their own "Saving Private Ryan." This isn't it, however. Despite the presence of a bunch of decent actors, the humdrum script and phlegmatic pace ofThe Bataan Death March is one of the most riveting stories of WW II, and I was excited to see this film about a related event featuring a heroic rescue of American prisoners. The action and real-life heroes of the Philippine theater deserve their own "Saving Private Ryan." This isn't it, however. Despite the presence of a bunch of decent actors, the humdrum script and phlegmatic pace of this film make it a long, dull slog. Never quite believed Benjamin Bratt as a dynamic leader, much less the oddly disconnected "romance." (But I will say that the scenes of the actual raid are engrossing and well-done.) Expand
  2. Sep 12, 2014
    This movie has the same problems that most war movies I've seen share; the plot is decent and solid, but the characters and ranks are introduced so quickly that by the time they are out there, wearing helmets, shooting in the dark, bloody and/or dirty, it's hard to remember who exactly they are.

The movie shows some real cruelty, which only human beings are capable of. I also assume most of those details were real, and not made up or exaggerated.

Other than that, "The Great Raid" is nothing special. It has good portrayal of people in war. Nothing overwhelmingly spectacular though. I liked that they focused on Filipinos and Japanese as well as the Americans, too.

1. The film brings a spectacular but little-known chapter of World War II to the big screen with meticulous attention to period detail -- and almost none to compelling narrative.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    This overlong march will bore all but the most nobly patriotic.
    The Great Raid is ultimately scotched by History Channel–worthy nostalgia.