8.0

1. EricS
    Jan 7, 2006
    Never (at least in my experience) have professional critics been so wrong about a movie. I watched this film late at night out of sheer boredom, expecting nothing more than another mediocre account of a well-known historical event. However, this was not the case at all. "The Great Raid" rises above most other war movies because it views it is so faithful to what really happened. It Never (at least in my experience) have professional critics been so wrong about a movie. I watched this film late at night out of sheer boredom, expecting nothing more than another mediocre account of a well-known historical event. However, this was not the case at all. "The Great Raid" rises above most other war movies because it views it is so faithful to what really happened. It isn't just an excuse to tell some sappy, typical Hollywood drama that the critics seem to love so much. It is a true account of what happened, filled with real battles and real people. The acting was superb all around (as good as he was in "Spider-Man", I didn't think James Franco could play such a serious role), thanks to the absence of any big- name, no-talent actors or filmmakers. Everyone should see this movie, especially now when so many people view Americans as the bad guys. Just because the critics can't appreciate an excellent movie that doesn't force some corny, liberal message down the audience Expand
  2. Jane
    Oct 9, 2005
    Awesome!
  3. SteveC.
    Apr 23, 2006
    For those who said it didn't have enough action, whether reviewers on this site or actual 'professional' reviews, I must acknowledge my pity for your ignorance. It must be unfortunate to live with that frame of mind. I guess this movie was a little too real for you. Its sad that our society is so basic that we desire the action scenes to fulfill our dull lives. Perhaps if For those who said it didn't have enough action, whether reviewers on this site or actual 'professional' reviews, I must acknowledge my pity for your ignorance. It must be unfortunate to live with that frame of mind. I guess this movie was a little too real for you. Its sad that our society is so basic that we desire the action scenes to fulfill our dull lives. Perhaps if you realized what reality is ... not the reality that Hollywood spews out, but the reality that actually exists now, and throughout history, you'd have a glimmer of understanding about what this movie was really about. Its purpose wasn't to entertain you're simple mind - it was a basis of actual events, as a lot of modern war movies are. This one seemed to be a little closer to what actually happened - not the bastardized version that Hollywood usually vomits out. The original footage was the pinnacle of this film, and its use throughout is what pulled everything together. The style of this movie brought the best of old and new war movies. But unlike "Pearl Harbour," this movie didn't try and be all things to all people. It didn't try and bring in romance as one central theme. That's not the purpose of this movie. Special effects, to the same extent, wasn't the cornerstone of this film. This was a very accurate representation of documentary style war-telling, albiet in movie format. The performances herein, whether part of the conflict or on the side, as part of the resistance were well rounded, and lacked the superficiality that I imagined would exist in a movie like this. The acknowledgement of the resistance forces, in this conflict specifically was important, but the pinnacle of a war movie to acknowledge that forces other than military were important in winning this war. I invite all those who have any level of intellect or knowledge about this war or conflict specifically to watch this movie. If its too real for you, go back to your simple-minded action flicks and leave this movie to those it was meant to affect. Collapse
  4. DavidZ
    Apr 1, 2007
    This is one of the examples that most movie critics got it wrong. Their comments and evaluations became formulaic and predictable.
  5. JerryM.
    Aug 14, 2005
    The critics that have panned this movie obviously have no sense of patriotism and nobility. Their prejudice blinds them to the excellent screenplay and design. This movie is a classic. Go see it! The critics are full of feces.
  6. Jerry
    Aug 19, 2005
    With the exception of a distracting love interest thread, this movie had a well developed plot. Being a true story made it that much more surreal. The enemy was portayed historically accarate, whicj makes a chilling staement of war. I recoomend this movie to all who want to understand some of the reasons why as Lee once said, it is good war is so terrible,...
  7. Alvin
    Sep 13, 2005
    Tremedous movie. Loved it. Ensemble cast was terrific. Definitely worth the watch. The professional critics give War of The Worlds a 74 and this movie a 48? If you ever wanted a proof that these critics are bought and paid for all you need do is have the public watch both movies. One is awful and this one is great. Don't miss it.
  8. DeeJ.
    Aug 10, 2005
    I loved this film and think it's the best one of the year.
  9. MikeB.
    Aug 13, 2005
    Hi Everybody, Don
  10. JohnF.
    Aug 18, 2005
    Great movie.
  11. Rocky
    Aug 18, 2005
    Simply outstanding. It has you from the opening minute sitting on the edge of your seat. Where have movies like this been? Do not miss it.
  12. CarolAnnC.
    Aug 22, 2005
    This is a "real " movie in the sense that it not riddled with special effects and superfulous dialog.You really cared about the characters. A trully courageous group of men and women. I am telling everyone to go to this wonderful experience called "the Great Raid"
  13. anna.
    Aug 24, 2005
    I loved this film. It made me proud of the military leadership which is something I seldom feel these days. We have so much to learn from history and this film shows courage, comittment, and dedication to our soldiers. I would hope that all our current military leadership would view this multiple times. Thank you Weinstein brothers.
  14. TreP.
    Aug 26, 2005
    Worthwhile and necessary in this era of over-to-top Hollywood everything. I highly recommend it.
  15. Tomas
    Aug 27, 2005
    Gib you are dead wrong in your critique of this film. It is one of the better films to be turned out in many years. If you fail to see this you will be missing out on a fantastic story presented in a straight forward manor with all the warts and fleas. Just a fantastic job in bringing this true story to the silver screen. Don't miss it.
  16. Leslie
    Aug 28, 2005
    Simply fantastic. A movie that is richly rewarding and should not be missed. I am amazed that Hollywood did not manage to screw this one up as they usually do? One of the best movies of the year.
  17. Detroit
    Sep 15, 2005
    Thank you Hollywood for a great movie.
  18. JaredB.
    Jan 26, 2007
    The fact that some critics gave this movie such harsh reviews lets me know that some people just don't know a great movie when they see it. Sure, it could have been at least 10 minutes shorter. However, despite the length, this is a stunning, action-packed retelling of the most successful rescue operation ever attempted by a U.S. military outfit. An excellent film.
  19. AnitaH.
    Oct 21, 2005
    I was so excited to see this movie since my Dad was one of the Rangers that went on the raid. I was glad the movie stuck to the facts. Can't wait to get the CD so I can play the end frame by frame and maybe see my Dad.
    Aug 16, 2005
    This is a straightforward simple movie, told the way it happened. While lacking in "sophisticated", artsy shots, it is such a noble and important film that I have to recommend it highly. The film has no central character. It has no Brad Pitt to pull the audience to the film. It's an ensemble piece that showcases many great talents. I hope more people see it despite Miramax's This is a straightforward simple movie, told the way it happened. While lacking in "sophisticated", artsy shots, it is such a noble and important film that I have to recommend it highly. The film has no central character. It has no Brad Pitt to pull the audience to the film. It's an ensemble piece that showcases many great talents. I hope more people see it despite Miramax's poor marketing job. Expand
  21. Rajiv
    Aug 16, 2005
    The best movie of the summer. Honest, direct and to the point without the usual Hollywood fanfare. This is a must see film for everyone of all ages. It honors those brave men and women who laid everything on the line for their fellow Americans. And the Fillipino's are hero's also. As for you liberal minded idiots. If you do nothing else in your sorry lives, watch this movie and The best movie of the summer. Honest, direct and to the point without the usual Hollywood fanfare. This is a must see film for everyone of all ages. It honors those brave men and women who laid everything on the line for their fellow Americans. And the Fillipino's are hero's also. As for you liberal minded idiots. If you do nothing else in your sorry lives, watch this movie and then tell me about civil liberties in IRAQ by taking pictures. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I highly recommend this movie. Expand
  22. Victor
    Sep 18, 2005
    Fantastic.

1. The film brings a spectacular but little-known chapter of World War II to the big screen with meticulous attention to period detail -- and almost none to compelling narrative.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    This overlong march will bore all but the most nobly patriotic.
    The Great Raid is ultimately scotched by History Channel–worthy nostalgia.