Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: December 10, 1999
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 396 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleAug 21, 2014
This one is truly great. It may be a tad over three hours, but it feels significantly shorter. Plus, the added time allows us to spend more time with the characters, which is something I will never argue as a negative for this one. Tom Hanks,This one is truly great. It may be a tad over three hours, but it feels significantly shorter. Plus, the added time allows us to spend more time with the characters, which is something I will never argue as a negative for this one. Tom Hanks, David Morse, Michael Clarke Duncan, Doug Hutchison, Barry Pepper, Sam Rockwell, Michael Jeter, and James Cromwell, make up one hell of an ensemble cast for this one and all truly knock their roles out of the park. I am typically not a huge fan of prison dramas, but the heart and compassion you feel for everyone involved in amazing and truly draws you in. The more fantastical elements are also very interesting and set against the backdrop of a very realistic situation are all the more odd, but I think they are handled very well. As a whole, this one is very intriguing, touching, and unique, which elevate it above many prison dramas. Add in the great acting and you truly have something special with The Green Mile. Expand
MovieGuysJan 29, 2014
The Green Mile is a milestone for Darabont. Of course the high-brow critics will think this an overly long snore-fest, but the real movie watchers will realize its accurate portrayal of the passage of time and what it feels like for a deathThe Green Mile is a milestone for Darabont. Of course the high-brow critics will think this an overly long snore-fest, but the real movie watchers will realize its accurate portrayal of the passage of time and what it feels like for a death row inmate. Described as his favorite movie he's made, it combines the magic of a Disney film with more adult themes and a soaring story that moves you and makes you judge your own life. Even the title is a metaphor as this film conveys complex themes about life, set in Louisiana in a death row cell block. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
A true cinematic achievement from start to finish. "The Green Mile" is equally beautiful, horrific, heartbreaking and satisfying all throughout, with perfect performances and an unfathomably beautiful score.
csw12Jan 20, 2013
The Green Mile is a great movie with great acting but the flaw of the movie is that its far too long and it does make you lose interest a few times during the movie but its still well worth the watch.
Tss5078Mar 22, 2013
I don't believe in much, but I do believe that miracles exist. Weather it's all part of the grand design or just abnormalities of nature, I'll never know, none of us will. This theme is explored in the novel and film, The Green Mile. HowI don't believe in much, but I do believe that miracles exist. Weather it's all part of the grand design or just abnormalities of nature, I'll never know, none of us will. This theme is explored in the novel and film, The Green Mile. How Stephen King came up with such a poignant and heartfelt tale is beyond me, maybe it was divine intervention, but the story of the Green Mile is a unique and moving film, the likes of which I've never seen before. The story centers around a man who is sent to death row, and once there he is able to doing seemingly impossible things. The performances in this film were Oscar worthy, building on the success of their last collaboration, The Shawshank Redemption, King and Durabont, got the biggest star in Hollywood to star in this film. The combination of a strong sentimental story along with the acting power of Tom Hanks made this film one for the ages. The supporting cast, in particular Michael Clarke Duncan and Sam Rockwell, were tremendous assets to the film and their careers were launched with the help of Hanks's experience and King's amazing words, but this film is far from perfect. As an avid Stephen King fan, I know his attention to detail has often times been his downfall and to be honest, this film is about an hour longer than it needed to be. The story, in particular the ending were so powerful, that a lot of the in between could have been left on the cutting room floor. That aside, this is a long, but fantastic film with some of the best writing and performances you could find. Like many classic films the critics love, it's a bit long, parts of it are somewhat boring, and the storyline isn't for everybody, there are plenty of people who just won't get it. I did get it and I feel the better for it. This is one of those films, love it or hate it, that everyone should see at least once. Expand
imthenoobFeb 7, 2013
It's a rather good movie. Tom Hanks is good but it's Michael Clarke Duncan's powerful performance that not only steals the show but also makes the movie.
ydnar4Nov 23, 2014
It hard to take your eyes off the screen while watching the Green Mile. Tom Hanks is at the peak of his career and its on display in this movie. The Green Mile will get you emotionally engaged like very few other movies will. Its hard not toIt hard to take your eyes off the screen while watching the Green Mile. Tom Hanks is at the peak of his career and its on display in this movie. The Green Mile will get you emotionally engaged like very few other movies will. Its hard not to cry while watching it. The late Michael Clarke Duncan is at his best in this movie. Sadly that he never got another chance to shine like he did in this film. This one is a flat out classic. Expand
smiyamotNov 29, 2015
A short story by Stephen King, as I recall. We see a huge black man brought to Death Row for execution. The guards (including Tom Hanks) are very wary of him at first, but find him a kind, loving man. How could he have committed murder?A short story by Stephen King, as I recall. We see a huge black man brought to Death Row for execution. The guards (including Tom Hanks) are very wary of him at first, but find him a kind, loving man. How could he have committed murder? And he seems to be able to cure illness and bring a dead mouse back to life. How can this be? He introduces himself as James Coffee, J.C., Jesus Christ? So, do we crucify him again? Would we recognize the second coming of Christ if he was a huge black man? What if he was a woman? I don't have a lot of DVDs but this one is in my collection. Expand
choomtabi31Feb 14, 2016
I never cry at films but I was bawling like a baby with this one! Brilliant film, in my humble opinion, even better than Shawshank.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-938-The-Green-Mile-online-free
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
Superb movie in all aspects. Great acting, very solid story (also considering there are not many locations), and definitely some very emotional aspects. It's one of those few movies that has really taken you somewhere when it has finished.
Movie1997Sep 1, 2013
It may not be as good as "Shawshank Redemption" but it's still one moving film. Michael Clarke Duncan gives a powerful performance as John Coffey. Along with a great cast and story, it's a powerfully entertaining drama. Be sure to check outIt may not be as good as "Shawshank Redemption" but it's still one moving film. Michael Clarke Duncan gives a powerful performance as John Coffey. Along with a great cast and story, it's a powerfully entertaining drama. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
axelkochSep 23, 2012
It's actually not as perfect as some other users say here. That John Coffey was pictured as a naive and very simple minded guy was improper to me. Also they could've cut out some scenes, 3 hours are a bit too much. Anyways, this is aIt's actually not as perfect as some other users say here. That John Coffey was pictured as a naive and very simple minded guy was improper to me. Also they could've cut out some scenes, 3 hours are a bit too much. Anyways, this is a rememberable masterpiece and a brilliant-made movie. Must-see! Expand
SEROJJul 12, 2014
An amazing movie by Stephen King! I highly recommend it to almost everyone (don't watch it if you're getting bored too easy, because this movie is 3 hours long). 8.5/10 but i'll give a 9/10 because of the ending!
drlowdonMay 24, 2013
As with the fantastic Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile is based on a Stephen King story and directed by Frank Darabont and I can give no higher praise than to say it is just as good.

The film centres on a stretch of death row known as

The film centres on a stretch of death row known as The Green Mile in which a giant of a man known as John Coffey, accused of murdering two young girls, has been imprisoned. King is widely known for his horror books but, while there are supernatural elements to this story, as with The Shawshank Redemption this film is all about relationships between people in difficult circumstances.

The Green Mile may be three hours long but every minute of that is used to develop the characters and story so that by the end we really do care what happens to them. Those that dismiss Kings work as chart filler may be pleasantly surprised by what they find in this movie.
ERG1008Aug 23, 2010
Man in retirement home sees Fred Astaire in a film, has flashbacks back to 1935 when he was a prison warden.
Fantastic film with great acting & a good adaptation of the Stephen King novel.
Sam Rockwell is amazing as the very unhinged Billy
Fantastic film with great acting & a good adaptation of the Stephen King novel.
Sam Rockwell is amazing as the very unhinged Billy the Kid & despite it's three hour length doesn't seem as long.
Tom Hanks does tend to play himself & I still think Bachelor Party is his best film but with this & Catch Me If You Can being not far behind.
spadenxDec 19, 2011
Its a great movie with great acting but the flaw of the movie is that its far too long and it does make you lose interest a few times during the movie but its still well worth the watch.
BradySmithSep 21, 2013
A emotionally powerful, miraculously acted, exceptionally written, and unique drama. The direction is incredible. Darabont gives the film a vivid sense of place. You are completely absorbed when watching the Green Mile. All the actorsA emotionally powerful, miraculously acted, exceptionally written, and unique drama. The direction is incredible. Darabont gives the film a vivid sense of place. You are completely absorbed when watching the Green Mile. All the actors rise to an incredible level of convincingness, and the prison feels like an actual place. The supernatural scenes also pack a punch, and some other scenes could make a robot cry. It is pretty long, and not for people with a low tolerance for graphic violence, but it's without a doubt a great movie. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
"We think of this place like an intensive care ward of a hospital." So says Paul Edgecomb, who is in charge of Death Row in a Louisiana penitentiary during the Depression. Paul (Tom Hanks) is a nice man, probably nicer than your average"We think of this place like an intensive care ward of a hospital." So says Paul Edgecomb, who is in charge of Death Row in a Louisiana penitentiary during the Depression. Paul (Tom Hanks) is a nice man, probably nicer than your average Louisiana Death Row guard, and his staff is competent and humane--all except for the loathsome Percy, whose aunt is married to the governor, and who could have any state job he wants, but likes it here because "he wants to see one cook up close." One day a new prisoner arrives. He is a gigantic black man, framed by the low-angle camera to loom over the guards and duck under doorways. This is John Coffey ("like the drink, only not spelled the same"), and he has been convicted of molesting and killing two little white girls. From the start it is clear he is not what he seems. He is afraid of the dark, for one thing. He is straightforward in shaking Paul's hand--not like a man with anything to be ashamed of.

"The Green Mile" (so-called because this Death Row has a green floor) is based on a novel by Stephen King, and has been written and directed by Frank Darabont. It is Darabont's first film since the great "The Shawshank Redemption" in 1994. That, too, was based on a King prison story, but this one is very different. It involves the supernatural, for one thing--in a spiritual, not creepy, way.

Both movies center on relationships between a white man and a black man. In "Shawshank" the black man was the witness to a white man's dogged determination, and here the black man's function is to absorb the pain of whites--to redeem and forgive them. By the end, when he is asked to forgive them for sending him to the electric chair, the story has so well prepared us that the key scenes play like drama, not metaphor, and that is not an easy thing to achieve.

I have started to suspect that when we talk about "good acting" in the movies, we are really discussing two other things: good casting and the creation of characters we react to strongly. Much of a performance is created in the filmmaking itself, in photography and editing and the emotional cues of music. But an actor must have the technical and emotional mastery to embody a character and evoke him persuasively, and the film must give him a character worth portraying. Tom Hanks is our movie Everyman, and his Paul is able to win our sympathy with his level eyes and calm, decent voice. We get a real sense of his efficient staff, of the vile natures of Percy and Wharton, and of the goodness of Coffey--who is embodied by Duncan in a performance that is both acting and being.

The movie is a shade over three hours long. I appreciated the extra time, which allows us to feel the passage of prison months and years. Stephen King, sometimes dismissed as merely a best-seller, has in his best novels some of the power of Dickens, who created worlds that enveloped us and populated them with colorful, peculiar, sharply seen characters. King in his strongest work is a storyteller likely to survive as Dickens has, despite the sniffs of the litcrit establishment.

By taking the extra time, Darabont has made King's "The Green Mile" into a story which develops and unfolds, which has detail and space. The movie would have been much diminished at two hours--it would have been a series of episodes without context. As Darabont directs it, it tells a story with beginning, middle, end, vivid characters, humor, outrage and emotional release. Dickensian.
Andys_ReviewsOct 21, 2012
Very well made with a beautifully understated musical score by Thomas Newman, it underpins the action perfectly and works very well. All the performances were great; particularly Michael Clarke Duncan who fully deserved his 2000 OscarVery well made with a beautifully understated musical score by Thomas Newman, it underpins the action perfectly and works very well. All the performances were great; particularly Michael Clarke Duncan who fully deserved his 2000 Oscar nomination for his portrayal of John Coffey. As usual, Tom Hanks puts in a flawless performance as Paul Edgecomb (the younger version of course). The film has quite a slow pace that allows the audience to become familiar with the characters and the comings and goings on Expand
Spielberg00Sep 17, 2011
Based on one of Stephen King's few non-horror novels, THE GREEN MILE is a long, moving, poignant prison drama with an interesting fantasy twist. Starring Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan, it tells the story of Paul Edgecomb, a guardBased on one of Stephen King's few non-horror novels, THE GREEN MILE is a long, moving, poignant prison drama with an interesting fantasy twist. Starring Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan, it tells the story of Paul Edgecomb, a guard working at a prison where a man named John Coffey is brought into custody. Though he has been convicted of brutally murdering two girls, Paul soon enough discovers that John has a special healing power and really comes across as a kind man. Though clearly demented at some points in the plot, THE GREEN MILE was overall a great film. I plan on reading the serial novel on which it is based sometime soon, as it is sitting on my bookshelf, collecting dust and waiting patiently to be read; but as for a recommendation for anyone who hasn't seen this, see it. I can't guarantee you'll like it--there's always a movie not to like, after all--and I can't exactly guarantee you'll make it through the entire three hours and eight minutes, but it is most certainly worth a try. Rent it on Netflix, find it broken up in segments on YouTube, find it on TV, get it On Demand, buy it--whatever. Just make sure you see this film. Expand
ExKingJun 4, 2013
this movie is a masterpiece from the start to finish.
watching this movie nowadays makes you reminisce to the old movie style.
this movie is a masterpiece from the start to finish.
watching this movie nowadays makes you reminisce to the old movie style.
the good story the fantastic performances the over top characters the fact that every scene of the movie is valuable in the overall story.
i miss how movies used to be with Tom Hanks awesome performance and the fact that the movie is solid yet simple and joyful it's basically a 3 hours that send you away to what movies actually should be.
JohnnyStephensAug 31, 2013
Awesome!!! One of the best pictures ever made. Based on a Stephen King's unputdownable novel!!! Well-acted!!! Brilliant, brilliant and brilliant!!! Watch it!!
ViolettAug 12, 2013
Critics gave this movie red or yellow rank must be clinically insane for sure. This is one of the best movies I ever saw, one of the best melodrama movie. You know, I'm not young man, I dont cry when I get kicked, when I feel pain, but thisCritics gave this movie red or yellow rank must be clinically insane for sure. This is one of the best movies I ever saw, one of the best melodrama movie. You know, I'm not young man, I dont cry when I get kicked, when I feel pain, but this movie made me cry. Not just a single tear, but I cried like a river. Just watch this, you will never forget The Green Mile. Expand
FilmClubMar 27, 2016
Frank Darabont emerges from his five-year hiatus after "The Shawshank Redemption" with "The Green Mile," an intermittently powerful and meticulously crafted drama that falls short of its full potential due to considerable over-length and someFrank Darabont emerges from his five-year hiatus after "The Shawshank Redemption" with "The Green Mile," an intermittently powerful and meticulously crafted drama that falls short of its full potential due to considerable over-length and some shopworn, simplistic notions at its center. Quite involving at its best and needlessly attenuated and self-consciously "inspiring" at its worst, pic has all the earmarks of a year-end prestige release, beginning with Tom Hanks at the top of a fine cast.

Working from King’s 1996 bestseller that was published in six serialized paperback installments, Darabont is nothing if not a fastidious storyteller dedicated to fulsome character detailing and sturdy structural carpentry.

In this new film, as in “Shawshank,” the writer-director proves very adept at lighting numerous long fuses that burn slowly through the yarn’s lengthy telling and finally pay off in some big moments, some more satisfying than others.

It’s a tribute to Darabont’s skill that he is able to sustain interest in these strands over such a long haul; it’s a reflection of his self-indulgence that he should think that this material warrants such doting elaboration.

Told as an epic flashback by a very elderly man who relates his long-secret story to a lady friend at a nursing home, tale is largely set within the modest confines of E block, or death row, at Cold Mountain Penitentiary in Louisiana in 1935.

Title refers to the shade of the faded linoleum on the floor of the facility, a well-kept bright brick building that resembles a small warehouse.

Presiding over the handful of inmates is head guard Paul Edgecomb (Hanks), a decent middle-aged man dedicated to maintaining as much calm and dignity as possible, given the dire circumstances of his prisoners.

On his staff are his loyal second-in-command, Brutus “Brutal” Howell (David Morse); sensitive greenhorn Dean Stanton (Barry Pepper); old pro Harry Terwilliger (Jeffrey DeMunn); and the group’s wild card, Percy Wetmore (Doug Hutchison), a shrimpy sadist who can get away with all manner of horrible behavior since he’s the son of the governor’s wife.

Behind bars at the outset are good-hearted Creole Eduard Delacroix (Michael Jeter) and repentant Native American murderer Arlen Bitterbuck (Graham Greene), who’s about to walk the mile to the electric chair.

Shortly joining them, and barely able to fit into his cell, is John Coffey (Michael Clarke Duncan), a towering, heavily muscled black man who’s been convicted of killing two little girls. Belying Coffey’s menacing look, however, is his demeanor, which is unvaryingly sweet-natured, polite and openly vulnerable; the greatest concern of this illiterate, childlike giant is that some lights be left on at night since he’s afraid of the dark.

Typical of Darabont’s deliberate approach is the detail with which he presents the rehearsal for the Indian’s execution. A morbidly tense and riveting sequence reveals a startlingly makeshift-looking electric chair and what it takes to successfully put a prisoner to death.

So, between the opposite poles of good and evil repped by the saintly simpleton Coffey on the one hand and the maniacal Wharton and Percy on the other, Darabont begins heavily developing thoughts about the extremes of which human beings are capable, as represented by their ability to give life and take it away.

While “The Green Mile” often grabs, and generally holds, one’s attention through the long journey, there are any number of sequences that could have been tightened or eliminated in the interests of storytelling dispatch. Darabont’s technique readily sustains the thoroughness with which he develops scenes, but his points would still be clear enough without the epic treatment.

And while Hutchison and Rockwell create deliciously hateable figures of pure evil, and Duncan elicits appropriately massive sympathy with his pivotal performance as the agent of goodness, these characters never grow multi-dimensionally and are ultimately more symbolic than credibly real.

All the same, the ensemble acting is of a high order. Hanks excels as the prison guard who is well balanced enough to nearly always handle his many troubles in proper, imaginative fashion.

Along with Duncan, all the other actors playing doomed inmates get their big moments to shine, with Jeter blending courage with emotional fragility as Delacroix.

Percy aside, the prison officials are all portrayed as fundamentally upstanding. Gary Sinise is commanding in his one scene as an attorney who gives his views on Coffey to Edgecomb.

Within individual scenes, Richard Francis-Bruce’s editing is impeccably precise in obtaining maximum values, while Thomas Newman’s generally strong score occasionally slips over-stressed grandeur.
DalekMay 18, 2014
Despite the film being 3 hours long, it's definitely worth watching. It's really interesting, and I recommend not looking into this film at all as its better that way. The soundtrack for this is brilliant as it's by Thomas Newman which got meDespite the film being 3 hours long, it's definitely worth watching. It's really interesting, and I recommend not looking into this film at all as its better that way. The soundtrack for this is brilliant as it's by Thomas Newman which got me to watch this film in the first place. The film is like an adventure, its sad, it's very dark, its a mix of a bunch of things which is what makes it great as well. Not to mention that all of the actors for this film were perfect for their roles as well. Expand
REDWOUNov 22, 2014
The Green Mile was a great movie. It didn't make my top ten (no more than ten do, so it was a hard decision), but it absolutely made my top twenty. Frank Darabont. You wouldn't think he could do a follow-up adaptation of Stephen King's media,The Green Mile was a great movie. It didn't make my top ten (no more than ten do, so it was a hard decision), but it absolutely made my top twenty. Frank Darabont. You wouldn't think he could do a follow-up adaptation of Stephen King's media, after The Shawshank Redemption, of all things. But no, The Green Mile is just as good and better than The Shining and Stand by Me. Expand
KayakMar 4, 2014
Finally had a chance to see this, and as much as I enjoyed it and it deserves most of the praise it gets; I couldn't help but feel a little bit underwhelmed. Maybe the expectations were a bit high. It dragged a bit for me at the start, andFinally had a chance to see this, and as much as I enjoyed it and it deserves most of the praise it gets; I couldn't help but feel a little bit underwhelmed. Maybe the expectations were a bit high. It dragged a bit for me at the start, and going into this completely blind, the fantasy twist to this film caught me off guard a little. Make no mistake though, the acting is superb, the music choices are pretty great and overall, it is still a very, very good film. Expand
ZorglyJan 13, 2011
Tom Hanks and Michael Clark Duncan are amazing. The script is creative and often powerful. Running at just over 3 hours long I felt there were a few scenes that could have easily been cut to aid in pacing. Overall a very good movie
InspectorJJan 4, 2015
I cannot name a film that better imagines the harsh realities of life and the disturbingly twisted events that follow. 'The Green Mile' certainly makes me walk to the nearest store to pick up some more tissues, as its three-hour length isI cannot name a film that better imagines the harsh realities of life and the disturbingly twisted events that follow. 'The Green Mile' certainly makes me walk to the nearest store to pick up some more tissues, as its three-hour length is ultimately justified and proves to be very effective. You do not need to be knowledgeable on Stephen King's novel from which this film is adapted, as the journey we follow with these characters is cruelly realistic, for the most part. Expand
NixySep 27, 2012
This is one of those films that everybody has got to watch at some point in their life. It really is a stunning film, there's very little else I can say about it. But beware, you will weep like a child.
RainbowDenixAug 5, 2016
Это больше чем фильм…

Это больше чем фильм…

Знаете, есть фильмы, которые заставляют о чем-то важном подумать, сделать свои умозаключения после просмотра, уяснить для себя урок и жить дальше не забывая его. Например, фильм, снятый по не менее гениальному роману С. Кинга `Побег из Шоушенга` заставляет задуматься о судьбе человека, в чьих она руках, о справедливости в мире, о надежде, которая движет человеком, и он способен разрушить любые преграды на своем пути благодаря ей.

Но есть одно НО — эти мысли оставляют человека через какое-то время, и человек вновь погружается в свои проблемы, бытовую жизнь, погружается в мир, который заставляет жить человека по определенным правилам. Правилам, которые диктует суровая реальность, человек невольно, сам того не замечая, грязнет в грехах и бессмысленных поступках. Та ценность, которую передает определенный фильм человеку, куда-то уходит, забывается или затирается в мозгу.

Но есть фильмы, которые на протяжении всей жизни человека своим сюжетом всегда возвращает его к тем вопросам, о которых должен задумываться каждый человек, присланный на землю богом и живущий по его законам и правилам.

Для такого человека просмотр и осмысление фильма «Зеленая миля» становится очень важным событием в его жизни.

Для такого человека эти фильмы дают больше чем, например, безбожнику или человеку, верующего в Него, но с головой погрязшего в грехах и который все реже различает, что делается «добром», а что «злом». Такие люди не найдут ничего особенного в этом фильме или будут оценивать с материальной точки зрения, политики, сравнивать динамичность его сцен с более эффектными фильмами. В общем, не найдут того зерна, который было истинно заложено С. Кингом и режиссерами, снявшими его.

Я полностью присоединяюсь к тем положительным отзывам о фильме, которые были сказаны выше. Чувствуется, что люди полностью полюбили этот фильм всем сердцем. А мне кажется еще, что, возможно, ничего подобного больше на экраны не выйдет.

Мне кажется, что этот роман был «продиктован» С. Кингу свыше и что не случайно он был экранизирован через 2000 лет после рождества Иисуса Христа.

Этот фильм полностью пронизан любовью и состраданием ко всему живому в лице Джона Коффи. Эта картина напоминает то время, когда жил и Иисус Христос, о его чудесных исцелениях людей, о вере в Отца своего до конца, до гроба. Он никого не осуждал и любил врагов своих. Что-то подобное можно увидеть в образе Джона Коффи, который просто устал от жестокости в мире и непонимания людей. В системе дьявола, на Земле, он просто не мог выжить. Несмотря на свой внушительный вид, который может нести огромную разрушительную силу, Джон Коффи по фильму сходен с безобидным мышонком. Это неспроста, что С. Кинг пытался уровнять всех людей перед собой и пытался показать, что все люди едины перед природой и ее законами и равны перед Богом.

По-моему, в фильме прозвучало очень много истинных фраз — например, слова заключенного индейца «Если человек искренне раскаивается в своих грехах, то он может вернуться в то время, которое было самым счастливым для него и остаться там навсегда. Может, это и есть Рай». Только искренне раскаивающемуся человеку становится понятен истинный смысл жизни и то, что смерть — это только начало вечной жизни.

Вот именно поэтому церковь всегда выступает против смертной казни, т. к. человек должен понять эту истину, сам приблизиться к ней, и это возможно только через беды и лишения. Т. е. только в тюрьме, к сожалению.

«Их любовь помогла погубить себя» — эти слова Д. Кофи отвечают на многие вопросы, почему в мире такая несправедливость и жестокость. Именно таким инструментом пользуется дьявол внутри каждого из нас. «И так происходит каждый день, по всему миру».

В фильме нет мудреных философских суждений или притчей из Библии, этого и не нужно было. В фильме вообще все понятно без слов, и это в том числе благодаря потрясающей игре актеров и их подбором.

В конце фильма возникает ощущение того, что главный как раз в этой тюрьме Джон Коффи, а не кто-то другой. Именно он должен быть на свободе, а все остальные на его месте, в камере смертников. Это лишний раз показывает нам, как все люди сбились со своего жизненного пути и программы, заложенной свыше Богом.

Такие фильмы надо прочувствовать всем сердцем. И если человеку это удастся сделать по-настоящему, то целой книги не хватит, чтобы выразить все свои мысли и эмоции об этом фильме.
ShedeggDec 5, 2014
A movie based on stephen Kings book the green mile does not disappoint! It makes you feel lots of different emotions at different times in the movie. Like most of stephen Kings books it is well thought out. The acting produced by Tom hanks isA movie based on stephen Kings book the green mile does not disappoint! It makes you feel lots of different emotions at different times in the movie. Like most of stephen Kings books it is well thought out. The acting produced by Tom hanks is just amazing, this is probably one of his best films! It is exciting, and gives the watcher an insight on what really happens when someone used to get the chair. At times this movie will probably make you cry. This is a good 3 hours so you've really got to dedicate some time to watching it. Overall this is probably one of my favourite movies of all time, and you should definately watch it before you die! Expand
nvnickAug 17, 2011
I watched this for the third time yesterday, the thing that one critic pointed out is that this film has something extremely rare: soul. This is the most emotional movie I have ever seen, it's not just a drama movie with plot twists andI watched this for the third time yesterday, the thing that one critic pointed out is that this film has something extremely rare: soul. This is the most emotional movie I have ever seen, it's not just a drama movie with plot twists and unexpected tragedies; it has extremely lovable and disliked characters. Characters that we connect with, and when anything happens to them in the movie we feel like crying our guts out. It's also bound to make you take a different look on the use of the electric chair, and there are many other underlying themes and subjects with this movie. This film is a 3 hour experience that will change your mental attitude completely, highly recommended movie. 5/5 stars Expand
DanielGrozaJan 20, 2014
This movie will probably give you some emotional touches, although not enough for three hours. In order for it to really make an emotional impact, it should be short and swift.
VictorLWibzJun 5, 2013
not as good as i first watching it.. but still its kicking my hearth.. Michael Duncan did great! he's the real Gentle Giant, his acting are very convincing.. RIP Michael.D may God have mercy on your soul..
SuitupAug 11, 2013
Energetic, deep, and sad. I've never burst into tears watching any movies. It makes me upset to see bad mediocre reviews from critics. I loved this movie. It was worth the 3-hour sit through.
BigOakley02Aug 23, 2015
What's with the low scores? This is the second best, and second saddest, movie I have ever seen. Then again, I haven't seen many sad movies If you haven't noticed already, I love this movie. Nobody beats Tom Hanks when it comes to acting, andWhat's with the low scores? This is the second best, and second saddest, movie I have ever seen. Then again, I haven't seen many sad movies If you haven't noticed already, I love this movie. Nobody beats Tom Hanks when it comes to acting, and Michael Clarke Duncan is brilliant too. Expand
BrunoMMar 15, 2011
brilliant movie. but sad thing is, the kind of thing that happened in this movie still goes on in this world we live in. terrible to think about. like Barry said, probably the movie that had the biggest emotional impact on me out of any moviebrilliant movie. but sad thing is, the kind of thing that happened in this movie still goes on in this world we live in. terrible to think about. like Barry said, probably the movie that had the biggest emotional impact on me out of any movie ive ever watched in my life. i just wish i knew the criteria these "critics" use to review movies. Expand
DashingNativeDec 4, 2014
The movie was great but cringe worthy for me, but had its moments. From a scary terrifying scene to a emotional scene. This is a good movie, though has some things not explained and it had me thinking and feeling. Is this world that bad? IsThe movie was great but cringe worthy for me, but had its moments. From a scary terrifying scene to a emotional scene. This is a good movie, though has some things not explained and it had me thinking and feeling. Is this world that bad? Is it worth to be in it knowing people like this exist and you can be wrongfully accused to where you can get a death penalty? The movie is a good one and man you'll feel weird once its over. Expand
ScareFanJun 9, 2015
3 hours of your time that you will not regret. As a massive Stephen King fan I could not wait to see this movie after I'd read the book, and boy was I ever impressed. The story in itself is heartbreaking and gut wrenching, so grab your3 hours of your time that you will not regret. As a massive Stephen King fan I could not wait to see this movie after I'd read the book, and boy was I ever impressed. The story in itself is heartbreaking and gut wrenching, so grab your tissues, but by the end of it don't be surprised if you want to watch the entire thing all over again. Tom Hanks is absolutely fabulous in the role of Paul Edgecomb, and the performances by Michael Clarke Duncan, David Morse and Sam Rockwell add all the necessary depth to their characters. Thrilling, magical, funny, traumatising... The Green Mile is all those things and I believe it would be impossible to be bored by this film. It's another one that requires your undivided attention and it is quite long but it doesn't feel that way by the end. There are characters you will love and ones you will hate but you will be touched by the stories they tell. I am always blown away by this movie, it is one of my all time favourites, and I highly recommend it. Expand
FilippoNov 15, 2013
It's incredible seeing so many low scores from critics for probably one of the three best movies ever. Its intensity and brilliance is something just amazing. There are no movies of this level nowadays. Three hours of emotions
manuprathapJul 3, 2014
Seriously? Metascore of this movie is 61!!!What a disaster. Then what are these so called critics expect from a movie.It's interesting,thrilling,emotional ,well directed movie with an amazing story and screen play .
Actors are really mind
Actors are really mind blowing.Story and screen play as what i expected from the great 'King'.The Drabaont-king gang have presented us one another gem not lesser than that of 'The Shawshank Redemption'
got more than i wanted.
the critics who gave thus a movie a low rating ,at the same time garnishes the 'waste of time movies' like syriana,up in the air,michael clayton with scores more than 75 .Fools.
theresamMay 2, 2009
Thought-provoking and emotional dynamite!
2 of 3 users found this helpful
NickA.Sep 8, 2006
It takes something exceptional to come close to Frank Darabonts Shawshank Redemption but the director manages to bring another multilayered tale to life. We cross themes of spirituality, humanity, good versus evil and also some fantasy which It takes something exceptional to come close to Frank Darabonts Shawshank Redemption but the director manages to bring another multilayered tale to life. We cross themes of spirituality, humanity, good versus evil and also some fantasy which all work brilliantly together to bring a deeply moving film with excellent performances from the entire cast. Some have complained that the movie is far too long but for me the time flew because every scene is worthwhile, the film draws you in from the outset and doesn't let go with little sub themes and a rich multi-layered story that is rich and beautiful but also terribly sad at times. If you don't like this film then in my view you don't know what being human is all about. An astonishing beautiful film that will stay with you for a long time. Expand
TonyB.Apr 17, 2008
Succeeds on all levels...give in to it.
RodG.Feb 21, 2007
Once again the users got it right.
E.R.Aug 24, 2007
Touching.
Joek.Jan 3, 2007
Sweet moving video. Ban execution!!!!
BrunoG.Oct 24, 2008
I really think this movie deserves a perfect score. The first time i saw it i was forced to lock myself in the bathroom to cry like i baby. It's very touching indeed, and the acting of John it's wonderful.
JayHOct 5, 2008
The reviews for this remind me once again that most film critics are overpaid, self important idiots. This was one of the best films ive ever seen.
BarryFeb 10, 2008
Touching film. This has got to be the film that had the biggest emotional impact on me out of them all. It's sad, witty and the acting is fantastic. It deserves more than the average it has here. I adore it!
GaryA.Mar 2, 2008
Those so called movie reviewers who slated this movie are not representative of the ordinary guy on the street who enjoyed the film. As shown by the average score of 9.
someonewApr 5, 2009
I am starting to lose the faith in metacritic's rating... this movie was one of the best I have seen since ages, and 3 hrs isnt that long for it.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
StanB.Aug 21, 2007
Best adaptation of a Stephen King novel.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
[Anonymous]Mar 23, 2008
Okay, I do not have any interest in Stephen King. I think most of his stuff because they're so stupid. All they are filled with are stuff like killer clowns and mist that make people go ape-sh*t on each other. But I made an exception Okay, I do not have any interest in Stephen King. I think most of his stuff because they're so stupid. All they are filled with are stuff like killer clowns and mist that make people go ape-sh*t on each other. But I made an exception for this movie. It didn't seem like it would be scary. It's just a prison story. And fortunately, this is exactly what I wanted. It was everything you want a great movie to be. Great cast and acting, powerful scenes, emotion, and Tom Hanks. This is #8 on my top ten list, under The Last Samurai and Star Wars. I give it 10/10 Expand
JamesMDec 11, 2005
Anyone who says this movie is slow needs to go back to their Arnold Schwarzeneggar and Jerry Bruckheimer moves. This is an engrossing and beautifully told masterpiece, if somewhat disturbing at times.
Van4808Nov 26, 2011
It makes me angry to see many low scores from critics, this is probably one of the best and most emotional movies I have ever watched.
DEJPOLOct 11, 2013
This movie is one of the best films on history.It never does not duplicate.To my surprise, the overall score of this masterpiece of a total of 61.I'm really sorry for the the critics of these sites
BerakNov 28, 2013
Incredible adaptation of Stephen Kings book.

Incredible adaptation of Stephen Kings book.

The late Michael Clarke Duncan is perfect in the role of Coffey a mentally challenged black man sentenced to death for the murder of two little girls. Tom Hanks gives a stellar performance as mild-mannered prison guard in charge of death row.

One of the best Stephen King adaptations yet (alongside The Shawshank Redemption).
beccahollowJan 5, 2014
This movie….I can't explain it in words but, this is the best sob movie in time. I'm not going to say its "one of the best" or "probably the best" because I know. This movie is the best. Why? When I was young, about the time you can't walk, IThis movie….I can't explain it in words but, this is the best sob movie in time. I'm not going to say its "one of the best" or "probably the best" because I know. This movie is the best. Why? When I was young, about the time you can't walk, I somehow opened the tv and saw this. I only saw a scene of it but, it was so, how to say this, close? I think. Whatever, I couldn't get that movie out of my mind then a 9ish years later, I found the name. I saw the whole movie and now, I feel accomplished. A part of the scene in this movie is so moving that I searched and searched when it was possible to search. I came from a poor family once so I didn't have the internet or a phone or a computer, just a tv. So now, since I have a laptop, I want to say this to the world. This movie changed my life. Expand
DaRsH_gamerMay 28, 2015
this movie is awesome ... the first movie made me cry ... i hate when i see low ratings on this grate movie ... it deserve to spend 3h ... Michael Duncan was brilliant .. RIP
fespadeaNov 13, 2015
This movie is an absolute masterpiece. Not even The Shawshank Redemption is as good as this movie (in my opinion). I have never seen a movie made with skill such as what can be found in The Green Mile. Most of this movie is just tuning in onThis movie is an absolute masterpiece. Not even The Shawshank Redemption is as good as this movie (in my opinion). I have never seen a movie made with skill such as what can be found in The Green Mile. Most of this movie is just tuning in on these prison guards lives at their jobs and it is never at any point boring throughout the 3hour runtime. Stephen King wrote this book brilliantly and Frank Darabont brought it to the big screen brilliantly. Every single character in this movie is memorable and amazing. You will never hate someone as much as you will hate Percy, my personal favorite character form the movie. He was done so perfectly that it makes me feel bad for the actor because I might accidentally hit him if I ever see him in real life purely by instinct. *semi spoiler (but not really)* The other antagonist is also highly hateable. All the protagonist are very likable. The story is beautiful but might be difficult to swallow for people with certain religious beliefs. This is a must see, just don't watch it when you are sad and need a happy tale or comedy because this movie is full of tragedy. Expand