8.2

1. Nov 26, 2011
    It makes me angry to see many low scores from critics, this is probably one of the best and most emotional movies I have ever watched.
  2. Aug 17, 2011
    I watched this for the third time yesterday, the thing that one critic pointed out is that this film has something extremely rare: soul. This is the most emotional movie I have ever seen, it's not just a drama movie with plot twists and unexpected tragedies; it has extremely lovable and disliked characters. Characters that we connect with, and when anything happens to them in the movie weI watched this for the third time yesterday, the thing that one critic pointed out is that this film has something extremely rare: soul. This is the most emotional movie I have ever seen, it's not just a drama movie with plot twists and unexpected tragedies; it has extremely lovable and disliked characters. Characters that we connect with, and when anything happens to them in the movie we feel like crying our guts out. It's also bound to make you take a different look on the use of the electric chair, and there are many other underlying themes and subjects with this movie. This film is a 3 hour experience that will change your mental attitude completely, highly recommended movie. 5/5 stars Expand
  3. ChristinaM.
    Feb 28, 2005
    One of the greatest movies I have ever seen.... Just brilliant.
  4. doesn'tmatter
    Apr 28, 2005
    You know what erwin k, you don't know what a movie is so just shut up and just go and cry about your life that is going on and on and on and on !!!
  5. someonew
    Apr 5, 2009
    I am starting to lose the faith in metacritic's rating... this movie was one of the best I have seen since ages, and 3 hrs isnt that long for it.
  6. Aug 21, 2014
    This one is truly great. It may be a tad over three hours, but it feels significantly shorter. Plus, the added time allows us to spend more time with the characters, which is something I will never argue as a negative for this one. Tom Hanks, David Morse, Michael Clarke Duncan, Doug Hutchison, Barry Pepper, Sam Rockwell, Michael Jeter, and James Cromwell, make up one hell of an ensembleThis one is truly great. It may be a tad over three hours, but it feels significantly shorter. Plus, the added time allows us to spend more time with the characters, which is something I will never argue as a negative for this one. Tom Hanks, David Morse, Michael Clarke Duncan, Doug Hutchison, Barry Pepper, Sam Rockwell, Michael Jeter, and James Cromwell, make up one hell of an ensemble cast for this one and all truly knock their roles out of the park. I am typically not a huge fan of prison dramas, but the heart and compassion you feel for everyone involved in amazing and truly draws you in. The more fantastical elements are also very interesting and set against the backdrop of a very realistic situation are all the more odd, but I think they are handled very well. As a whole, this one is very intriguing, touching, and unique, which elevate it above many prison dramas. Add in the great acting and you truly have something special with The Green Mile. Expand
  7. Nov 28, 2012
    A true cinematic achievement from start to finish. "The Green Mile" is equally beautiful, horrific, heartbreaking and satisfying all throughout, with perfect performances and an unfathomably beautiful score.
  8. Aug 12, 2013
    Critics gave this movie red or yellow rank must be clinically insane for sure. This is one of the best movies I ever saw, one of the best melodrama movie. You know, I'm not young man, I dont cry when I get kicked, when I feel pain, but this movie made me cry. Not just a single tear, but I cried like a river. Just watch this, you will never forget The Green Mile.
  9. Aug 11, 2013
    Energetic, deep, and sad. I've never burst into tears watching any movies. It makes me upset to see bad mediocre reviews from critics. I loved this movie. It was worth the 3-hour sit through.
  10. Nov 15, 2013
    It's incredible seeing so many low scores from critics for probably one of the three best movies ever. Its intensity and brilliance is something just amazing. There are no movies of this level nowadays. Three hours of emotions
  11. Jul 3, 2014
    Seriously? Metascore of this movie is 61!!!What a disaster. Then what are these so called critics expect from a movie.It's interesting,thrilling,emotional ,well directed movie with an amazing story and screen play .
    Actors are really mind blowing.Story and screen play as what i expected from the great 'King'.The Drabaont-king gang have presented us one another gem not lesser than that of 'The Shawshank Redemption'
    got more than i wanted.
    the critics who gave thus a movie a low rating ,at the same time garnishes the 'waste of time movies' like syriana,up in the air,michael clayton with scores more than 75 .Fools.
  12. theresam
    May 2, 2009
    Thought-provoking and emotional dynamite!
  13. Dec 30, 2013
    This film is Pander. Period.
    This film is Pander. Period.
    Basically, it starts and ends without questioning death penalty. Death penalty is barbaric for MY culture, and the behavior of the characters never seems realistic to me. The horrible system behind death row is depicted in a mitigate, sweetened way. There's no room for compassion in death penalty as shown in the film, and this film is basically offensive solely for the way the characters are behaving.
    Second: nothing is believable. Clearly is a fantasy drama, but still as the stereotyped characters (bad people are bad without a reason, they are simply mad. Good people are in fact not really good, but seam dumb and ataraxic, resulting in unlovable characters). The main character is basically a scary black giant who cries all the time. Very easy way to provoke reactions in the viewer is to show him something which he's unconsciously scared off while enforcing this unconscious fear with clever direction. Incidentally this unconscious fear is based on a black stupid strong man stereotype overlapped by the boogeyman figure. I'm a caucasian european man and i find this VERY offensive.
    The whole story, in the end, is based on emotional tricks. (the *spoiler* bad death scene is traumatic and unnecessary, at least as it is shown). Giving strong emotions to people based on meaningless story or characters is a cheat.
    This film is bad. I couldn't expect this since the reviews are so high. But i found this film ruffian, manipulative and ultimately ugly.
  14. PatC.
    Jan 8, 2004
    Would have been a great film, but it was the audience who was locked up and the key thrown away.
  15. m.grunder
    Jun 24, 2005
    If this is a movie that is supposed to , in part, extoll the values of racial equality, then why do i find "The Green Mile" so offensive? I have many questions I would like to ask the director: 1. Isn't it equally demeaning to portray a black man as being childish, simplistic and unreallistically naive? Doesn't such a portrayal imply to some extent white superiority? John Coffey If this is a movie that is supposed to , in part, extoll the values of racial equality, then why do i find "The Green Mile" so offensive? I have many questions I would like to ask the director: 1. Isn't it equally demeaning to portray a black man as being childish, simplistic and unreallistically naive? Doesn't such a portrayal imply to some extent white superiority? John Coffey somehow reminds me quite strongly of the black characters from movies of the 1940s. The loyal servant who is honest, yet simplistic at heart, and can't obviously speak in complete sentences. It would have been better if they instilled the only black character in this film with more intelligence and dignity. 2. The punishment of Percy, the "bad guard" in the film is unrealistic. Yes, Percy deserves to be punished, but punishment should be doled out according to procedure. The way things turn out for Percy, it's as if the film endorses taking justice into ones own hands. It seems to say, "Unlawful, unethical payback is perfectly fine, as long as the recipient deserves it. " I wanted to give this film a higher rating on account of it's nostalgic appeal, but the excess american style mysticism and hollywood cheese prevented me from doing so. Expand
    Aug 14, 2004
    This movie was a scrap between brilliant casting, acting and setting fighting vainly against an over-streched script. Did anyone else notice that the ONLY black person in the movie was sadly stereotypical? The worst part was the overuse of forshadowing; every major plot twist was forewarned as clear as day. This matter was aggrevated by a distinct last of expediency. It seems like the This movie was a scrap between brilliant casting, acting and setting fighting vainly against an over-streched script. Did anyone else notice that the ONLY black person in the movie was sadly stereotypical? The worst part was the overuse of forshadowing; every major plot twist was forewarned as clear as day. This matter was aggrevated by a distinct last of expediency. It seems like the movie was stretched out to capture details of the book- next time, try and make your movie engrossing instead of accurate. Expand
  17. ErwinK.
    Mar 6, 2005
    This movie goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on for three torterous hours. While it isn't terrible, it is so damn slow and ponderous that it looks like it hasn't even been edited at all. It has some nice performances in it.... expecially the convicts, although what is it with these sensitive new age guards? You'd think that they were hari This movie goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on for three torterous hours. While it isn't terrible, it is so damn slow and ponderous that it looks like it hasn't even been edited at all. It has some nice performances in it.... expecially the convicts, although what is it with these sensitive new age guards? You'd think that they were hari krishnas. The ending is like 'yeah whatever'.... I didn't want to wade through three hours to get to such a pasty ending. Shawshank left me with tears in my eyes - but this just made me groan. Too cute, too long... just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.... Expand
  18. StanB.
    Aug 21, 2007
    Best adaptation of a Stephen King novel.
  19. Jan 13, 2011
    Tom Hanks and Michael Clark Duncan are amazing. The script is creative and often powerful. Running at just over 3 hours long I felt there were a few scenes that could have easily been cut to aid in pacing. Overall a very good movie
  20. SebastianB.
    Aug 30, 2002
    Excellent movie, horror mixed with emotion, and great cast. It was one of best movies i have ever seen.
  21. NickA.
    Sep 8, 2006
    It takes something exceptional to come close to Frank Darabonts Shawshank Redemption but the director manages to bring another multilayered tale to life. We cross themes of spirituality, humanity, good versus evil and also some fantasy which all work brilliantly together to bring a deeply moving film with excellent performances from the entire cast. Some have complained that the movie is It takes something exceptional to come close to Frank Darabonts Shawshank Redemption but the director manages to bring another multilayered tale to life. We cross themes of spirituality, humanity, good versus evil and also some fantasy which all work brilliantly together to bring a deeply moving film with excellent performances from the entire cast. Some have complained that the movie is far too long but for me the time flew because every scene is worthwhile, the film draws you in from the outset and doesn't let go with little sub themes and a rich multi-layered story that is rich and beautiful but also terribly sad at times. If you don't like this film then in my view you don't know what being human is all about. An astonishing beautiful film that will stay with you for a long time. Expand
  22. TonyB.
    Apr 17, 2008
    Succeeds on all levels...give in to it.
  23. HariatS.
    Feb 5, 2001
    If a movie could win every possible award on this earth, it has to be The Green Mile, without any doubt.
  24. JosieP.
    Apr 3, 2001
    This movie is SO good, but why did they have to spoil it with that lousy frame?? This could have been the best movie of the year if they had lost the first and last scenes. It worked for "Private Ryan" and "Stratocaster," but not for this.
  25. MicheleH.
    Jan 4, 2004
    This is one of the best movies ever produced. I cried through the whole second half...brilliantly emotional. I don't know where the critics' ignorance stems from...wait, they're professional critics, that's right.
  26. RodG.
    Feb 21, 2007
    Once again the users got it right.
  27. E.R.
    Aug 24, 2007
    Touching.
  28. ChrisG.
    Apr 22, 2002
    I thought that this movie was one of the best i have ever seen. It touched me.
  29. Marc-o
    Oct 23, 2003
    As usual there are critics of all films but how they can say a bad word against this is more of a mystery than why it didn't win every possible oscar especially best picture!!
  30. BenW.
    Sep 6, 2003
    It's one of the best movies ever made, because it's thoughtful, smart, a little scary and emotionally through the roof. It's the only movie I've ever seen that has had the power to make me cry. I love Stephen King, with a few exceptions (It, Christine), but his believable dramas always end up being classics in my mind.

This jailhouse jam is quite a haul.
  2. Reviewed by: Jay Carr
    There's almost too much there, but the three-hour-plus film permits the kind of detailing that not only brings the storytelling to life, but sometimes persuades us we're breathing to its rhythms.
  3. Its view of spiritual healing is closer to Spielberg fantasy than religious insight. Still, its good acting and good intentions will be enough to please many viewers.