The Grudge 2

5.5

1. ChristyB.
    Mar 25, 2008
    Awesome, I loved the movie the Grudge. It is really scary and there is a purpose to it. I jumped when I was watching it. But after that I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. The second movie was great too. I love horror movies.
  2. MyleneB
    Oct 24, 2006
    Its is scary, and one of my favorite movies.
  3. SteveM.
    Oct 14, 2006
    I thought I'd jump in here because these professional reviews pain me to read. What use does anyone have for such a technical and mechanical analysis of a film that is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. They would do better to write about an emotional reaction they had, should it even be a negative one. That said, my emotional reaction is why I love this movie. I'm sure this will I thought I'd jump in here because these professional reviews pain me to read. What use does anyone have for such a technical and mechanical analysis of a film that is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. They would do better to write about an emotional reaction they had, should it even be a negative one. That said, my emotional reaction is why I love this movie. I'm sure this will upset all the people who hated this film for it's technical flaws, but I love "The Grudge 2" for the experience it creates...I think the girl "Kyako" is genius, and she scares me, and makes me afraid to turn off the lights at night. I'm 28 years old. Enough said. This film is powerful, fun, and creepy enough to be worth my 9 bucks. Reviewers, I have realized, hate horror movies. Furthermore, they are more concerned with showing how brilliantly they can write than actually giving you something useful to ponder over. Ultimately, if you liked the first Grudge film, see this one...if you didn't, don't. That's my best advice to you. Expand
  4. AxelL.
    Aug 3, 2007
    A great sequel, not better than the first, but still eerie and scary!
  5. Sean
    Oct 14, 2006
    Pretty good, but too many plots and no story is resolved.
  6. AMovieCritic
    Oct 16, 2006
    The Ju On films were never about storyline, they were more about scaring the audience as much as possible. They are done in episodes, simply going from one character to another to watch their bizarre, scary deaths one after another. I was disappointed with The Grudge, because not only did it lack the suspense and horror of the Japanese original, but they tried too hard to add a plot and The Ju On films were never about storyline, they were more about scaring the audience as much as possible. They are done in episodes, simply going from one character to another to watch their bizarre, scary deaths one after another. I was disappointed with The Grudge, because not only did it lack the suspense and horror of the Japanese original, but they tried too hard to add a plot and romance and it just ended up bogging the movie down. The Grudge 2 is more along the lines of the Japanese versions. There's less plot, and more scares. The scares themselves are also much sharper and less "PG-13" (In fact, they really stretch that rating here) than its predecessor. Some scenes are completely scary and really suspenseful. Yet there are lots of jumps as well. If you like the Ju On films better than you liked 2004's Grudge remake, you'll really like The Grudge 2. Fans of the first Grudge may not be as into The Grudge 2, though. Compared to the first Grudge, this one is definitely less of a "movie." Somewhat worse acting, less star power, worse dialogue, less plot and less structure makes it seem more like a "right to DVD sequel" at times than something that was made with the same care as its predecessor. But that wasn't the case. The case was simply that they wanted to return this series to its roots of being, primarily, a fright fest. That said, though, due to the need to keep the PG-13 rating, (therefore keeping the ghosts mostly off-screen, unlike the Japanese versions, where these corpses are crawling all over the place,) it's still not as scary or suspenseful as the Japanese versions and unfortunately, the movie's plot twist at the end WILL confuse people who are not aware that the 3 stories each take place years apart from each other. (Something the movie never makes clear.) The Grudge 2 also lacks a huge climactic scene like The Grudge's stair crawl. Still, though, this was a scary movie and a step in the right direction for these remakes, if they choose to continue them. If they do, though, (and I can't stress this enough) they should really go for the R-rating because building suspense by having these ghosts fully onscreen (especially Kayoko, in all her blood-covered glory,) is more effective than simply having these ghosts just jump out and scare you. Expand
  7. RianL
    Oct 13, 2006
    The Grudge 2 is like the devil's haiku... the flowing hair, the flashing shadow images, the screams, the groans...an exceptional horror film and sequel no matter how you look at it, also includes superior acting and a more diverse and captivating plot line.
    Oct 25, 2006
    WOW! Way better than the first. This also made more sense and tied the story together.
  9. BenD
    Feb 12, 2007
    This movie really suprised me, especially considering the horrible reviews by "professional" movie critics. It all boils down to whether you liked the first Grudge. I loved it, and this one actually creates more tension and unease then the first. There are some very shocking visuals that will stay with you for a while.
  10. Feb 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I Love The Grudge..... But The Grudge 2 Didnt Seem To Spark Me As Much...
    My Score Went Down Alot Because Sarah Michelle Gellar Dies In The Movie.... I Loved Karen Davis!!!
  11. Oct 12, 2012
    creepier and more vicious than it's sleepwalking predecessor, i actually found myself enjoying this, whereas the first felt like i was completely detached from the experience.
  12. Oct 12, 2012
    there is a lot more happening in this film than the first, most of these new happenings are interesting, and some quite creepy, something the first grudge only achieved when it actually got off it's ass and tried, i will admit, it is a rather hard act to follow, but following it isn't entirely necessary for the better aspects to make it through to you - samarathenymph xoxo
  13. Oct 12, 2012
    almost anything that isn't the first film is fine by me, not only does this top the first ones mediocre ambition, but it does so well, it actually could have been a standalone film.
  14. Mar 4, 2013
    So much scarier and more entertaining than the first one. Takashi Shimizu is one of my favorite horror directors. After The Grudge 3, I really hope there will be a Grudge 4.
  15. Sep 30, 2013
    The grudge 2 might not be as good as the first movie but it is way scarier then the first one. if you liked the grudge then you will probably like the grudge 2!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Dec 9, 2014
    This film is extremely creepy and scary. It is also extremely dark and horrifying. This is an extremely good horror movie that you will enjoy. Like most horror films, it has a bad ending. I really wish that in the future, most horror movies will have better/good endings.

The same problems that plagued the original are on display here. Most notably, the lack of any coherent plot. Lots of creepy kids jump out at us, but these scenes are never satisfactorily meshed into the story itself.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    Story is incidental here, as auds merely anticipate the scares.
  3. The film pulls off a couple of "gotchas!", but the subtle creepiness of its predecessors is gone, replaced by a sense of numbing predictability.