The Grudge

3.7

1. Aug 25, 2010
    A terrible, NOT scary, and practically un-followable film. For example, the young Chinese child? There is no explanation to why he is there, nor why he has a black cat with him? Also, if the grudge thing kills people, how did she survive when it appeared under her duvet cover? When Yoko climbs into the loft close to the beginning, and sees the grudge things head, it is just...not scary.A terrible, NOT scary, and practically un-followable film. For example, the young Chinese child? There is no explanation to why he is there, nor why he has a black cat with him? Also, if the grudge thing kills people, how did she survive when it appeared under her duvet cover? When Yoko climbs into the loft close to the beginning, and sees the grudge things head, it is just...not scary. I've seen scarier things in children's movies. The jumpy edge to the film is almost non existent, and therefore, there is no horror in the film whatsoever. I do say, the scene in which the grudge thing is following her around the building is mildly scary. Although, how it got out the loft is beyond me. I personally think that, this is a poorly made film. If your'e looking for a real scare, try Blair witch (not the sequel, Blair witch 2 was far worse than the grudge) and Paranormal Activity. 1/10. Why? It managed to get me tense enough to jump when someone opened the front door. Expand
  2. Apr 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THE ONLY POTENTIAL SPOILER IS THAT I DESCRIBE THE ESSENCE OF NEARLY ALL Japanese HORROR SCENES)

The rule of thumb for watching any Japanese horror film that is remade in Hollywood is to go for the original, subtitles be damned. The one exception is The Ring.

The Grudge remake, made by the exact same director of the original, is a series of confusing, disconnected creepy scenes until the end where you kinda-sorta get an explanation. No plot. Just typical stupid horror movie characters doing stupid things. "Oh, let's go check out that really creepy sound all by myself after I found my wife/mother/girlfriend/pet dead/catatonic/(insert-state-of-being-here)."

Having seen nearly all the Japanese horror flicks, there is a clear culture of fear of long black hair, water and eyeballs or mouths that are stretched/blacked out via PhotoshopCGI. When you experience it for the first time, it's scary. The second time, it's interesting. For the third, fourth, it's yaaawwwwwnnnn.
  3. yamum
    Nov 29, 2004
    Good.
  4. TonyB.
    Oct 22, 2004
    If you liked the ring, you'll probably like this film. Although this one definetly has a lot more "this is a scary character" shots. The fear is far less subtle than the ring was. There was only one line that reminded me that i didn't really like sarah michelle gellar, so i guess that's a good thing. This is definatly a good flick for some great scares. it's got quite If you liked the ring, you'll probably like this film. Although this one definetly has a lot more "this is a scary character" shots. The fear is far less subtle than the ring was. There was only one line that reminded me that i didn't really like sarah michelle gellar, so i guess that's a good thing. This is definatly a good flick for some great scares. it's got quite a few big jumps, and if you suspend your disbelief, the tension in this movie never lets up. Good flick. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good scare. Expand
  5. TonyC.
    Oct 23, 2004
    This was the scariest movie to come out of Hollywood in years. It was huge fun, in a creepy I don't wnat to die way.
  6. JuneG.
    Oct 23, 2004
    I normally don't scare easily at movies, but this one got to me good. I LOVED IT.........
  7. Martin
    Feb 27, 2005
    Good movie...not scary AT ALL!!!
  8. Dec 9, 2014
    The Grudge is an extremely scary and creepy horror movie. This is probably one of the scariest horror movies. It also has a good plot. Like many horror movies, it has one weak point-bad endings.
  9. Dec 22, 2010
    Not Scary. This movie basically rocked me to sleep. I did not jump, wasnt even creeped out. this was boring and WAYYYY too short. The acting left alot to be desired, the dialogue was OK, nothing big, and i wasnt even entertained.
  10. Feb 10, 2012
    Absolute utter trash. I was a tiny bit scared of this when It came out when I was 13 but even then I knew it was a god awful movie. A disgrace to the horror genre and movies as a whole.
  11. Nov 2, 2011
    Oh My Gross, I hate "Ju-on" Style movie. This movie are silly-dumb.... very bad scary movie ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Nov 22, 2010
    The biggest issue with the Grudge is the lack of a story. It isn't clearly told and none of the cast has much to show, and the audience doesn't have much to be impressed with. The only thing that would be impressive is if anyone can catch on the psychological aspect, which drives the film to a new low. Weird events keep happening and the only thing I can think of is "When will it getThe biggest issue with the Grudge is the lack of a story. It isn't clearly told and none of the cast has much to show, and the audience doesn't have much to be impressed with. The only thing that would be impressive is if anyone can catch on the psychological aspect, which drives the film to a new low. Weird events keep happening and the only thing I can think of is "When will it get interesting?" The tone above all is different from other horror movies, and the simplicty of this is what happens, and this is what is going to happen, doesn't suit well with me. And the bad acting from the cast doesn't help either. The sequences of the demon attacking people and screwing their lives is the only thing that holds the movie together. Expand
  13. Jan 24, 2013
    One of the most boring movies I've ever seen. BAD and many minor scenes.
  14. JohnnyW.
    Nov 2, 2004
    Pretty awful. Not nearly as scary as I'd heard, not even scary at all. I don't really understand why people say this was scary...I laughed at most of the "horror" moments. I guess I went into it expecting too much...There was no character development. Even after watching it, I couldn't tell you a single thing about any of the characters except their names and what they Pretty awful. Not nearly as scary as I'd heard, not even scary at all. I don't really understand why people say this was scary...I laughed at most of the "horror" moments. I guess I went into it expecting too much...There was no character development. Even after watching it, I couldn't tell you a single thing about any of the characters except their names and what they looked like. When you actually want the characters to die just so the movie can end quicker, it is not a good movie. If it's horror you're looking for, you'll be sorely disappointed by this. Instead, take all the money for yours and your friend's tickets, head on down to Blockbuster, and get some decent, actually frightening movies. They just don't make scary movies anymore. Expand
  15. chiwawak
    Jul 13, 2005
    It is the scariest movie i ever seen it was a little confussion i admitt butt it was verry scary.
  16. DanaG
    Jan 9, 2005
    Ok, so it was damn scary, Ill give it that. But the plot was absolutely horrible. It was like they were scaring the audience just to scare them. Its first mistake was casting Sarah Michelle as the lead. This movie shouldnt be put in the same category as The Ring....that would be quite and insult to The Ring.
  17. RyanM.
    Feb 20, 2005
    You look one way and see The Ring. A incredibly fantastic horror movie that is remembered because it was insanely scary and had a deep, rich, plot. Now you look the other way and see The Grudge. A clear rip off of The Ring, and it is so below par from other horror movies recenty. It just was not scary, really it wasn't at all. And the plot was just one long mess of random scenes You look one way and see The Ring. A incredibly fantastic horror movie that is remembered because it was insanely scary and had a deep, rich, plot. Now you look the other way and see The Grudge. A clear rip off of The Ring, and it is so below par from other horror movies recenty. It just was not scary, really it wasn't at all. And the plot was just one long mess of random scenes plunged, picked up, and thrown in random spots. And at the end of the movie, you feel empty and dissappointed that Sarah Michelle Gellar and the rest of the cast and directors robbed you out of some cash and a hour and a half of your precios life. I gave this a 1 because I used to have a crush on Sarah Michelle Gellar back in her prime years as Buffy. And her acting here was lame and disappointing. Expand
  18. Dec 6, 2013
    the grudge is ok but the ring is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than this so is halloween and house of 1000 corpses the woman in black! that is all i have to say.
  19. Oct 3, 2011
    I could say wonders about this movie, but I won't because it isn't a wonder, after watching the Original The Grudge this movie is nothing but an improved one copying the original. Nothing new, no new explanations.
  20. Mar 8, 2014
    It was scary at times, I'll give them that, but most of them are not logical. The film is mostly filled with jump-scares without building up any suspense. Ultimately, a disappointment.
  21. Feb 21, 2011
    The Best Horror Movie EVER!!!
    Sarah Michelle Gellar Shines In This Movie As Karen Davis...
    I Have To Admit I Have Never Gotten So Scared At A Horror Movie (I Watch Them ALL The Time) Makeup On The Grudge Is Very Good, And The Acting Is Wonderful!! :)
    This Couldnt Be A More Perfect Horror Movie!
  22. Aug 9, 2014
    Firstly, because I am a child, I found this movie quite complicated. It was very dark, sinister and basically messed up... But I liked this film. The grudge girl scared me, there are not many jumpy parts, just one or two. Again, there are one or two gory parts. This film is not for everyone, but it was good. And if you are trying to get this question answered, "Is the Grudge scary?" Yes,Firstly, because I am a child, I found this movie quite complicated. It was very dark, sinister and basically messed up... But I liked this film. The grudge girl scared me, there are not many jumpy parts, just one or two. Again, there are one or two gory parts. This film is not for everyone, but it was good. And if you are trying to get this question answered, "Is the Grudge scary?" Yes, for some people it is. Expand
  23. AlexaR.
    Mar 1, 2007
    Scary!
  24. Javito13O
    Apr 26, 2009
    The best horror film EVER. Sarah Michelle Gellar was incredible here and Kayako and Toshio actors too. Simply AWESOME.
  25. Saraho
    Dec 30, 2007
    AMAZING MOVIE I loved it so much I'm only 11 years old it was one of the best movies I have seen in my life! ITS downright creepy!
  26. Feb 24, 2012
    I think I've said this to every website except this one, I AM TERRIFIED of this movie. I get nightmares of Kayako making those belching noises so close to my ear, I was scared to death to open my eyes. I have no idea why people hate this movie. Of course they always say "It's not scary b/c it's not realistic." But hears what I ask them, "Well what if it is? How frightening would it be toI think I've said this to every website except this one, I AM TERRIFIED of this movie. I get nightmares of Kayako making those belching noises so close to my ear, I was scared to death to open my eyes. I have no idea why people hate this movie. Of course they always say "It's not scary b/c it's not realistic." But hears what I ask them, "Well what if it is? How frightening would it be to see something like THAT come after you. She wouldn't stop chasing you until she kills you. Also, she will appear anywhere, your sheets on the bed, in your closet, mirror, hoody, THERE IS NO ESCAPE!" and then they never answer that b/c they would be scared. A lot of people say The Ring is scarier...I don't understand how though. The Ring only had 1 terrifying scene, but the rest of the movie was dialogue. It shouldn't be compared to this! The only thing I didn't like about this movie are the sequels, THAT'S IT! I don't care what people will say, this IS a terrifying movie whether you like it or not. Expand
  27. Dec 24, 2011
    The wooden acting isn't the best, the cheesy dialogue doesn't quite cut it at times and the film itself is quite short but The Grudge (at times) is quite the frightful movie. >:-)
  28. Mar 3, 2013
    Very well made and effective horror movie. Takashi Shimizu did a great job as director. Sarah Michelle Gellar had a very believable performance in this movie. The only problem was that at times it could take a while for something to happen.
  29. May 20, 2013
    That noise that sounds like someone is  burping, is very scary.
    And then that girl with the open mouth! Not for the faint of heart. The scariest scene is when the girl is coming closer and closer and closer! Really well made horror movie from raimi!
  30. Sep 30, 2013
    great horror movie!!! this movie is awesome. I can't believe that the critics don't like this movie. the grudge is one of my favourite horror movies. if you want to be scared then watch this movie.
  31. Nov 18, 2013
    Sarah Michelle Gellar Gives a powerful performance while the rest of the cast is so so. Starts out great with creepy story telling and very good scares. Similar to the ring. At times it may feel confusing. The ending was too long it Just really Needed to end by that point. Otherwise a great movie for tweens. (7/10).
  32. Sep 20, 2014
    From fearsome film maker Sam Raimi comes a film that will shock you til the end. i don't why that director Takashi Shimizu decided to direct another grudge movie ( duh he already made the grudge in japan it was called Ju-on Grudge . ) So any way the grudges stars Sarah Jessica Parker as a nurse in a weird house taking care of a victim. This is one of scariest Japanese motion picturesFrom fearsome film maker Sam Raimi comes a film that will shock you til the end. i don't why that director Takashi Shimizu decided to direct another grudge movie ( duh he already made the grudge in japan it was called Ju-on Grudge . ) So any way the grudges stars Sarah Jessica Parker as a nurse in a weird house taking care of a victim. This is one of scariest Japanese motion pictures i seen this makes it number one.Maybe Shimizu that bad from a film maker what else does have to impress me ? . Grade A Expand
  33. FrankC.
    Jan 29, 2005
    I'm not sure why everyone keeps referring to the original movie in their review. Every movie must stand on its own merits. This one delivered the goods--gave you shocks and scares, and kept you guessing. The primary question for me is "does it keep you interested and give you the uneasy, scared, don't go there feeling"? It did. Unlike most "let's show you what's out I'm not sure why everyone keeps referring to the original movie in their review. Every movie must stand on its own merits. This one delivered the goods--gave you shocks and scares, and kept you guessing. The primary question for me is "does it keep you interested and give you the uneasy, scared, don't go there feeling"? It did. Unlike most "let's show you what's out there with all it's gore" type of pseudo "scary" flicks, this one makes you think, and throws you off balance as a suspense, supernatural thriller should. I guess this means I liked it a lot. To me, it's right up there, right next to "The Eye", but, of course, that one hasn't been redone, yet. Expand
  34. SangHeeJ.
    Mar 28, 2005
    A terrible re-do of the Japanese original, which was fabulous. Too much of Sarah Michelle Gellar, too little horror.
  35. Tonydannie
    Jun 18, 2005
    Was this The Grudge or The Ring 1.5!?!
  36. DustinW.
    Oct 23, 2004
    This was a fairly good movie. It was very predictable but scary and very enjoyable. The plot kept jumping back and forth, back in time and stuff. Kind of confusing.
  37. BrittanyC
    Oct 25, 2004
    This movie gave me many great scares. The only thing I disliked about it was the confusing flashbacks. I really didn't know when they were all taking place, and what was actually in the present. Nonetheless, good story; good scares. The movie all comes together in the end. It is the scariest movie I have ever seen.
  38. KenG.
    Oct 25, 2004
    The scariest haunted house movie in years, The Grudge doesn't have to make a lot of sense to be effective. In the footsteps of The Ring and the Japanese classic The Eye, this gem will scare you without covering you in blood and gore.
  39. JayJ.
    Oct 26, 2004
    It has to be the worst movie I've seen in years...people kept leaving one by one, and at the end a guy "booed", which was well received by all the disappointed members of the audience. Sarah Michelle Gellar has no talent.
  40. BillW.
    Oct 26, 2004
    I really don't know what issues people have with this movie. I'm a horror fan but am willing to admit most horror movies are just crap and not scary at all. This movie is not crap and has scary moments, so I don't understand the ratings. Yes this movie uses the "don't go in there" scare, but to great effect. Good sound in the movie and the weirdness is what is I really don't know what issues people have with this movie. I'm a horror fan but am willing to admit most horror movies are just crap and not scary at all. This movie is not crap and has scary moments, so I don't understand the ratings. Yes this movie uses the "don't go in there" scare, but to great effect. Good sound in the movie and the weirdness is what is unsettling. People seem to have been unwilling to go along for the ride to understand what's going on, as the sequence is presented out of order, but it all was very understandable to me. This is the most enjoyable horror movie I've seen since 28 Days Later and certainly did it's job in making you tense up and involuntarily say, "don't go in there!" Just have an open mind and you'll enjoy it. If you go in not wanting to be scared and make fun of it, of course you're not going to enjoy it. It is what it is, and that is a successful, quality horror movie. Expand
    Oct 30, 2004
    Wow. I have no words to describe how bad this movie is. The flashbacks made no sense, the plot was none, it was not scary what-so-ever, it was exactly like the ring (which was a lot better than this), and the effects sucked, which is horrible because I thought a jaw was a piece of candy. Believe me, save some money and see something else!
  42. BillP.
    Oct 30, 2004
    This movie was too predictable and there really were no scary parts.
  43. BenB.
    Oct 2, 2005
    This movie is.....wait, scratch that, I don't even consider this piece of garbage a MOVIE! I don't even know where to begin..... No suspense involved here, and WHY OH WHY does she keep going back to that stupid house!!! If she KNOWS something bad is there then WHY GO BACK! And don't call me a harsh critic because i've never ever said a movie to be as bad as this one, This movie is.....wait, scratch that, I don't even consider this piece of garbage a MOVIE! I don't even know where to begin..... No suspense involved here, and WHY OH WHY does she keep going back to that stupid house!!! If she KNOWS something bad is there then WHY GO BACK! And don't call me a harsh critic because i've never ever said a movie to be as bad as this one, in fact before this, the lowest level of a movie I had seen was a "meh". The movie was confusing all around and didn't really give the viewers a sense of relevance to keep on watching. But the most confusing thing about this movie is, above all else, why the critics loved it so much? Expand
  44. DougG.
    Sep 6, 2005
    This is one of the most frightening, creepy, horror movies I have seen. I'm a horror movie fan and have seen plenty of them. This really ranks up there with the best of all time. The flashbacks are a bit confusing - finally figured everything out after watching it the 2nd time. The amazing thing is I was even freaked out when I knew what was going to happen. Had a friend over to This is one of the most frightening, creepy, horror movies I have seen. I'm a horror movie fan and have seen plenty of them. This really ranks up there with the best of all time. The flashbacks are a bit confusing - finally figured everything out after watching it the 2nd time. The amazing thing is I was even freaked out when I knew what was going to happen. Had a friend over to watch it with me the 3rd time. She was so scared, I had to go to her apt. to look in her closets and under her bed after the movie. She slept with the lights on that night. Not sure why it's getting poor reviews from some folks - maybe sometimes you aren't in the right frame of mind. Try watching it alone in the dark. Honestly can't figure out why Roger Ebert gave it a 25% rating. I'd like to see a list of all his horror movies that he's rated higher than this. He couldn't be more off the mark. Expand
  45. AxelL.
    Mar 1, 2007
    I don't know why some people are so unappreaciative of horror movies these days, this movie is one of the best I have seen!!! A successful remake of Ju-on.
  46. Riren
    Mar 4, 2007
    The only effective thing about The Grudge is the gimmicks it brings to the table. The masses of black hair are creepy. The distinct groaning sound is creepy. The pale little boy is creepy (if you aren't fed up with pale children from a host of similar movies). The plot, the acting, the mood - these are all generic, certainly nothing fresh enough to have necessitated it being a The only effective thing about The Grudge is the gimmicks it brings to the table. The masses of black hair are creepy. The distinct groaning sound is creepy. The pale little boy is creepy (if you aren't fed up with pale children from a host of similar movies). The plot, the acting, the mood - these are all generic, certainly nothing fresh enough to have necessitated it being a remake. If there is one annoying person who likes to make fun of movies in the theatre, they will make fun of The Grudge - and it's really the sort of movie that attracts those kinds of patrons, too. Expand
  47. MikeM
    Nov 1, 2004
    It's a rip off the Ring...it can be scary at times due to loud noises and stupidity, but that's it...no real creative story here and all I wanted was some fun watching a scary movie...didn't even accomplish that.
  48. TylerC
    Nov 14, 2004
    It was an hour and a half long and it was still too long for me to watch. It was absolutely boring! I brought two other people to see this movie and we weren't afraid of any scene here. I have no idea why people said this movie was so scary. It was like the Ring meets the Shining. I'm almost positive that it ended the way it did just so there would be a "Grudge 2" to work with. It was an hour and a half long and it was still too long for me to watch. It was absolutely boring! I brought two other people to see this movie and we weren't afraid of any scene here. I have no idea why people said this movie was so scary. It was like the Ring meets the Shining. I'm almost positive that it ended the way it did just so there would be a "Grudge 2" to work with. Utterly disappointing. Expand
  49. Aymen
    Oct 23, 2004
    I loved it! It was so scary that I still have nightmares! IMO Sarah Michelle Gellar did a great job.
  50. TiannaH.
    Oct 23, 2004
    This is the scariest movie I have ever seen. I haven't screamed this much since...uuummmm....EVER. The acting wasn't the best but it's a great date movie and if you get a chance check out the Japanese version. It's even scarier!
  51. DouglasH
    Oct 24, 2004
    Scarriest Movie I have ever seen.
  52. Daywalker829
    Oct 25, 2004
    Loved it. Haven't felt afraid in the theater in a long, long time.... Even though your're expecting something to happen....it still gets you.
  53. MichaelM.
    Oct 27, 2004
    The Grudge is a very disappointing movie. I'm not going to beat around the bush, I didn't care for a single thing this film had to offer. Well except for.... well I'm not going to spoil anything for you. The picture is so close in feel and look of "The Ring" that it's almost laughable, and in the end it isn't anything close to as original and terrifying as "The The Grudge is a very disappointing movie. I'm not going to beat around the bush, I didn't care for a single thing this film had to offer. Well except for.... well I'm not going to spoil anything for you. The picture is so close in feel and look of "The Ring" that it's almost laughable, and in the end it isn't anything close to as original and terrifying as "The Ring" was. This is just kind of a hunk of fall crap, that scores it's screams and scares from merely cheap shots. But the cheap shots aren't what really frustrates me about "The Grudge", it's the fact that they never explain what is going on and more importantly why. The filmmaker spends so much time flashing weird circus crap in front of you, that he forgets to add in an actual reason why all the supernatural events are happening. There are enough unfinished and unexplained events that take place in The Grudge to fill up a 500 page novel. The acting is nothing to shout from the hilltops with glee about either. Sarah Michelle Gellar phones in her performance like she's ordering a pizza, and the actor who plays the detective investigating the horror of the Grudge is in desperate need of a career change. Maybe he should try working at McDonalds instead of acting. The only decent acting we come in counter with during the entire span of the film is from Bill Pullman, who's in the film for only the first two minutes. In conclusion, The Grudge runs for 96 minutes, but if you ask me it seems like 96 days. I've never been so anxious in my life to get out of the theater and finish up my homework at home then I was when I went to see The Grudge. Don't waste your time or money on The Grudge. Time is better spent picking fluff out of your navel, then going to see Takashi Shimizu's latest travesty. Expand
  54. JuanG.
    Oct 28, 2004
    Forget the critics! They're jaded from the dozens of films they see very month. This is a good old fashioned fright fest. Little characterization, disjointed time framing adds to the uneasiness. M. Night should have made such a film rather than that last piece of crap he launched. This is a great date flick.....don't think too much, just go and be scared. It rocks!!
  55. VictorB
    Oct 29, 2004
    Brilliant!! This was the 1st really scary movie I have seen in a many years! I see alot of people saying,"... it doesn't explain 'WHY"! as long as you try to explain why something should be scary, you will never be scary. Fright is an irrational emotion, it just IS. This is that feeling of dread when you're all alone for no reason, that funny feeling you get when you pass Brilliant!! This was the 1st really scary movie I have seen in a many years! I see alot of people saying,"... it doesn't explain 'WHY"! as long as you try to explain why something should be scary, you will never be scary. Fright is an irrational emotion, it just IS. This is that feeling of dread when you're all alone for no reason, that funny feeling you get when you pass by a certain house, it doesn't ever make neat sense. If it did, it wouldn't be scary. This is what critics will never figure out. It is like "The Ring" in feel, but it doesn't try so hard to be scary-it doesn't have to. Expand
  56. KevinY.
    Feb 7, 2005
    Save your money and watch the trailer. One word, "Buffy".
  57. JilliT
    Apr 5, 2005
    Definitely scary, with long-lasting creepiness. Just a little confusing.
  58. AMovieCritic
    May 7, 2005
    What did they do to this movie!? I was skeptical, but I saw Ju:On; The Grudge, (which this is a remake of,) and it was one of the scarriest movies I've ever seen. Now, we have a remake, from (surprisingly) the same director, but it (surprisingly) lacks anything that made the original so frightening. Maybe in order to keep the PG13 rating, all the scarriest scenes from Ju;On have been What did they do to this movie!? I was skeptical, but I saw Ju:On; The Grudge, (which this is a remake of,) and it was one of the scarriest movies I've ever seen. Now, we have a remake, from (surprisingly) the same director, but it (surprisingly) lacks anything that made the original so frightening. Maybe in order to keep the PG13 rating, all the scarriest scenes from Ju;On have been completely cut from this remake. The scenes that DID make it into this remake are either incredibly shortened, or just pulled off badly. And unlike Ju:On; The Grudge when they at least told us when one story ended and another began, The Grudge can be very confusing, wondering whether we're in the past or present. The scares just aren't there...which is insane, when you see the movie this is based on. Don't see this remake, see Ju: on; the Grudge, and you will witness extremely scarry horror. Aside from a couple of jump scares, this remake just isn't scarry. It's even boring. Just lacks any of the intense atmosphere of the Japanese original, and every time one of the Grudge's are onscreen, ...I just had no reaction. In Ju:On; The Grudge, I still break into a sweat everytime I see certain scenes. Overall, The Grudge plays like a dumbed down version of the amazing movie, Ju:On; The Grudge. Don't let the subtitles bother you. It really is worth it. Expand
  59. Chrystal
    Jun 15, 2005
    Scary moviies are supposed to be scary. A bunch of people with paint on their face and a few effects aren't going to do the trick. The original had to be scarier than this or it wouldn't have been such a hit.
  60. SamuelD.
    Jul 30, 2005
    Great jumpy film but does have long boring bits included. The errie house and the dead mother is scary but could have been better.
  61. elizabethb.
    Aug 2, 2005
    I thought the mother was scary when she put her face looking up and they saw hair. and the creepy face when she says to the guy theres something on the tenth floor and the other guy watches it and the face goes up to the screen that was freaky i rate a 10!
  62. Sammy
    Feb 7, 2006
    This movie is so bad. I never got scared once. It's a pathetic attempt to copy The Ring. I hate it so much, and you will too.
  63. AndrewH.
    Jun 29, 2006
    I really hate this movie. It's a rip off of The Ring and they tell it out of order for no reason at all, just to confuse you. This movie is just really, really stupid.
  64. Chris
    Jan 17, 2007
    I really like this movie. It was scary, disturbing and that noise that Kayako made was downright creepy. Everyone should see it.
  65. KyleM
    Nov 1, 2004
    Not a brilliant movie, but it scarred me more than any other film I have seen. Truly terrifying. Here is my top 5 horror movie list... 1) Halloween 2) The Shining 3) Friday the 13th 4) Silence of the Lambs 5) The Exorcist but these are the movies that scarred me the most.... 1) The Grudge 2) The Shining 3) In the Mouth of Madness 4) Halloween 5) The Sixth Sense.
  66. ChrisP.
    Nov 2, 2004
    Although most of the scares come from loud noises and scary faces erupting during quiet moments, I liked this movie's style. It's true that it makes little/no attempt at character development or setting the scene, but I thought it was interesting how encapsulated this movie is - explaining just as much as it needs to to justify its 1.5 hour existence, and leaving the rest up to you.
  67. ChadS.
    Nov 5, 2004
    Vampires need to avoid the sun, and ghosts can't leave the house they haunt. Right? "The Grudge" cheats, like the land shark from "Saturday Night Live". However, some of the visuals are capable of raising a hair, or two. But my favorite scene is more social commentary than horror. Karen (Sarah Michelle-Gellar) is going through a series of photos in which the dead man's stalker Vampires need to avoid the sun, and ghosts can't leave the house they haunt. Right? "The Grudge" cheats, like the land shark from "Saturday Night Live". However, some of the visuals are capable of raising a hair, or two. But my favorite scene is more social commentary than horror. Karen (Sarah Michelle-Gellar) is going through a series of photos in which the dead man's stalker looms unmistakably in the background. How did the wife miss it? My interpretation? All Japanese look alike. But you might think it's just a plot contrivance. Expand
  68. MarkS.
    Oct 21, 2004
    Spectacular.
  69. SebastianC
    Dec 17, 2004
    Actually scary. Sarah Michelle Gellar is the best thing in it.
  70. AlexaR.
    Scary!
  71. DevynS.
    Oct 22, 2004
    The movie gave you a few jolts, but it was a bit predictable. I think they could have developed the plot more. it would be a decent rental.
  72. DouglasH
    Oct 22, 2004
    Scarriest Movie I have ever seen.
  73. PaolaM.
    Oct 24, 2004
    Great movie, great story, great performances!! Sarah rocks!!!
  74. StaceyG.
    Oct 24, 2004
    I'm going to be completley honust, NO movie has ever scared me, none, iv'e seen every horror film availiable at my local rental store and when i was four, my fave film was "Aliens" The Grudge did not scare me, but it came d--m close, the closest anything ever has, by far. my friends were screaming and even when i warned them with my horror knowledge, they still got freaked out. I'm going to be completley honust, NO movie has ever scared me, none, iv'e seen every horror film availiable at my local rental store and when i was four, my fave film was "Aliens" The Grudge did not scare me, but it came d--m close, the closest anything ever has, by far. my friends were screaming and even when i warned them with my horror knowledge, they still got freaked out. girls left the theatre to change movies because the grudge was to frightening. and people left to get popcorn, however when they came back they had to debate whether to enter the theatre because they were too scared. the grudge follows your basic horror formula (follow the scream rules and you can easily figure out what happens) BUT its better then most horror films. My buddies told me that the ring would give me a run for my money, it didn't even come close, but The Grudge did. Expand
  75. Hades
    Oct 24, 2004
    Ah.. after all of the rampant previews Ive finally seen it, and while it was ~about~ what I expected, I still came away with a few nice surprises... However, even considering these, the movie still lingered in the mediocre range.. The first problem I can think of with The Grudge, as others have stated, is that it is somewhat predictable and DOES rely heavily on some cliche'd Ah.. after all of the rampant previews Ive finally seen it, and while it was ~about~ what I expected, I still came away with a few nice surprises... However, even considering these, the movie still lingered in the mediocre range.. The first problem I can think of with The Grudge, as others have stated, is that it is somewhat predictable and DOES rely heavily on some cliche'd elements. If I had to count the number of times something 'suddenly' popped up out of the corner of the screen with the accompanying loud sound effect it would probably be in the 10 range, unfortunately.. the movie does to its credit, though, craft some truly terrifying moments. But how many times can we see a hand slap down or pop out of the corner of the screen before the reaction is greatly reduced?? I found the segments with Sarah Michelle actually quite boring, and enjoyed the scenes WITHOUT her much more, the detective(s) segments were especially enjoyable, I thought. The movie begins to feel as if its dragging along about 2/3 of the way through, as we are still just 'creeped out' left alone 'creeped out' left alone 'creeped out' etc etc.. The movie becomes a little too routine for its own good without really even going anywhere other than to another scary scene in the house. Plus, once you find out what the whole 'grudge' is, its neither revolutionary nor surprising, simply a bland 'oh.' that was delayed much too long. Overall, the movie was enjoyable, but only thanks to a COUPLE (out of about 20 bland) scary moments. Average but still fun. Expand
  76. gamer27
    Oct 25, 2004
    What is up with these people? This has got to be the worst horror movie this year! I did not scream or jump out of my seat at any scene. In fact, I laughed at every single death in this movie. That's how stupid this movie is.
  77. JamesL.
    Oct 25, 2004
    Oh my God, this is the worst movie i have ever seen. I am not kidding you. The acting was terrible. The script made no sense whatsoever,i had no idea why any of this was happening in this house. A guy kills a cat and his wife and son, so the kid meows like a cat and the wife is a crawling wierdo who makes gurgling noises and rips off peoples jaws. Ok...... thats interesting. They Oh my God, this is the worst movie i have ever seen. I am not kidding you. The acting was terrible. The script made no sense whatsoever,i had no idea why any of this was happening in this house. A guy kills a cat and his wife and son, so the kid meows like a cat and the wife is a crawling wierdo who makes gurgling noises and rips off peoples jaws. Ok...... thats interesting. They didn't explain anything well at all. The only good scares were cheap scares when something jumps out "unexpectedly". I still can't believe how horrible this movie was. This is going on my worst movie list, #1. 1 being the worst. Expand
  78. VincentR.
    Save your money
  79. OmarY.
    Oct 27, 2004
    This movie can be summed up in one sentence: "How many different characters can we get to investigate strange noises in a scary house?" Zero plot, no characterization ... just cheap scares. I feel stupid for having been dragged to this.
  80. KurtS
    Oct 28, 2004
    If you let yourself go and allow yourself to be creeped out by the atmosphere of this movie, you will have a great time. I admit that if you try to piece together the plot and look for reasons it all is happening, you will be at a loss. The movie succeeds at being very creepy, and for me that merits a recommendation.
  81. DecepticonPom
    Dec 9, 2004
    I have a very weak stomach for horror and gore but my lunch was pretty safe throughout. Atmospherically spooky but mild enough to predict where the almost cliche jumps are lurking. BOO! Michelle Gellar phones her performance in as usual. Is this what passes for acting these days?!
  82. AdamR.
    Oct 29, 2004
    The sole objective of this film is to scare you and at the sold out show I just attended everyone was screaming, shaking, and jumping out of their seats throughout. The lead role doesn't give Sarah Michelle Gellar much to work with, but she did what she could with it.
  83. Movie_Lover
    May 17, 2005
    Terrible movie. The plot was terrible and there was very little to no thrill. I could've made a better movie and I'm 14.
  84. JayL.
    Jun 27, 2005
    This is a stupid and pointless movie. A horror movie works by setting up a mode and atmosphere that leaves you uneasy and/or scared. This movie was nothing but hearing a noise, going down a hallway/closet/basemen and then having something jump out at you. Take this classic example of movie retardation: Sarah Michelle Gellar hears a noise, travels very, veeeeeery slowly towards it, and This is a stupid and pointless movie. A horror movie works by setting up a mode and atmosphere that leaves you uneasy and/or scared. This movie was nothing but hearing a noise, going down a hallway/closet/basemen and then having something jump out at you. Take this classic example of movie retardation: Sarah Michelle Gellar hears a noise, travels very, veeeeeery slowly towards it, and then it turns out to be a cat. WHOA!! But the terror doesn't end there! Then, right after she sighs in relief, the phone starts ringing! (chills traveled down my spine at the awful sound of that soft electronic beep). She then proceeds to creep very, veeeeery slowly towards the phone. Here's my question: WHY??? What she so afraid of!? Is the evil cat on the phone now? Nope, it was just one of her friends (what a relief!). This is, without a doubt, the absolute worst movie of the year. One last thing: what's up with that little cat boy? In my opinion, neither the sight of little Japanese boys nor the sound of a meowing cat have ever been perticularly scary. Maybe it's an "Eastern" thing. Expand
  85. Natilla
    Jul 23, 2005
    I gave it a 10 AWSOME AND AMAZING.
    Jun 18, 2007
    Give it an extra 2 for nice horror, but for the rest, I call it trash, very bad plotting.
  87. BrandonW
    Apr 22, 2008
    It's funny how some of you said, "It's a pathetic attempt to copy The Ring" when this film is actually a remake of the orginal Ju-On. The Ring was a pathetic remake compared to this masterful remake. Get your facts straight.
  88. JoeA.
    Nov 12, 2004
    Gift of a rating simply for the feel produced in couple of scenes. Besides that, the movie is ho-hum w/ a hackneyed ending.
  89. JoeyM.
    Nov 23, 2004
    Oh, sure, as a subtle critique of the difference between American and Japanese culture it falls short, but it is a good old fashioned creepy movie. Don't go looking for deep meaning, but if you go looking for some creepy effects, you won't be disappointed.
  90. MarkB.
    Nov 23, 2004
    Having never seen Takashi Shimizu's homegrown original, Ju-On: The Grudge, I may be at a disadvantage here. Then again, maybe not, American-made remakes of foreign-made films tend to be somewhat or greatly watered down, even at their best: even The Magnificent Seven and Three Men and a Baby aren't immune. (Having the original director on board is no insurance whatsoever: Having never seen Takashi Shimizu's homegrown original, Ju-On: The Grudge, I may be at a disadvantage here. Then again, maybe not, American-made remakes of foreign-made films tend to be somewhat or greatly watered down, even at their best: even The Magnificent Seven and Three Men and a Baby aren't immune. (Having the original director on board is no insurance whatsoever: remember the terrifying original Dutch version and ridiculous Yankee remake of The Vanishing?) Without a template to compare it to, I was able to enjoy Shimizu's intense attention to atmospheric detail, with a particular tip of the hat to his use of sound: he generally avoids cheap shots and "ankle grabs" in favor of genuine creepiness that informs nearly every image. The fact that the story focuses on Americans in Japan this time around adds to the otherworldliness: it's Lost in Translation with dread and foreboding taking the place of loneliness and melancholy. Atmosphere will only take you so far, however, if you don't care about the characters, who here are not even one-dimensional stick figures or symbolic abstractions; they're complete ciphers! While making the original Halloween, John carpenter wisely told Jamie Lee Curtis that her one big job was to make the audience love her; forget him, Hitchcock, De Palma, Romero and even the deeply intellectual Cronenberg for a second and realize that even the hacks who made the cheapest, cheesiest slasherfests of the 1980s knew enough to make the audience root for the shy computer nerd to hook up with the cute clarinet player before the masked killer made freshman flambe out of them both! The individual who suffers most from the coldness in concept and execution is the movie's star: who wants to see Buffy the Vampire Slayer so passively relegated to the sidelines? In that beloved, iconic role (which happens to be in my favorite TV series of all time, so I freely admit to being just a little prejudiced) Sarah Michelle Gellar was peerless at combining cuteness, vulnerability and strength; here we get tantalizing bits of the first two and virtually none of the last. Gellar is also missing the terrifically witty dialogue and fully-rounded supporting players that Joss Whedon blessed her with for 7 years--I know I'm not alone in wistfully wishing that Xander, Willow and Giles had popped up on the scene to lend a hand. (Most frustrating of all is the look-out-here-comes-the-sequel ending, which ironically would have worked perfectly well on a Buffy episode to be continued next week.) Of course it's not fair to criticize an actor in light of a past role, regardless of how good it was (and thank God she at least chose this rather than Scooby-Doo 3!) but why cast legendary action babe Gellar in a part that's so peripheral and vaguely defined, and whose demands could be acceptably met by any competent second-or third-year college drama student? Then again, an unknown drama major wouldn't have allowed The Grudge to open the weekend before Halloween at $40 million, so I guess I just answered my own question! Expand
  91. HitomiN.
    Nov 29, 2004
    After this movie, it realli made me couldn't sleep. The night afta watching the movie, i slept with mah door closed and mah light on... i checked unda mah bed...(just in case) *sigh* i'm still thinking about it.
  92. NickC.
    Dec 15, 2004
    Fantastically effective in its suspense. Some say that the story doesn't make sense; it doesn't matter! (Though I think the story line is quite good.) This film was meant to be scary and it is. Do not watch this film alone.
  93. Oct 26, 2014
    Who understand the history of this movie CONGRATULATIONS BECAUSE YOU ARE SUPER MAN !!!!! Not even a little scary and completely nauseating making you almost puke (seriously) . I thought it was the best horror movie I've ever watch before going to see it . Complete disappointment
  94. Dec 9, 2014
    I was really impressed by this one. It had some creepy imagery and atmosphere, and the scares were executed so well and effectively. The story was also interesting as well as the film's backstory, and the nonlinear storyline was executed better than the original because it was more coherent. As a whole, it was much better than the original. The Grudge is one of my favorite movie remakesI was really impressed by this one. It had some creepy imagery and atmosphere, and the scares were executed so well and effectively. The story was also interesting as well as the film's backstory, and the nonlinear storyline was executed better than the original because it was more coherent. As a whole, it was much better than the original. The Grudge is one of my favorite movie remakes along with The Fly, The Thing, The Ring, and Evil Dead. Expand
  95. Jan 25, 2015
    This was a great horror movie, but needs some work. These people have mastered jump scaring and outright creepiness. However, the plot really needs to be worked on. And animal abuse, c'mon seriously? Their element of surprise was perfect however.
  96. Jan 9, 2015
    The only reason why this movie was good, is because Sara Michelle Gellar is in it. To me, The Grudge was the most unnecessary J-Horror remake, with 50% scares, and 50% When is it over yet?
  97. Apr 7, 2015
    the grudge is an ok film but it's frawls like in one sense where the main charter goes to like a flash back to the family that died yeah that make 0 sense but the movie was still ok.
  98. Mar 12, 2016
    It's not very scary or even makes that much sense.....................................................................................................
  99. Jan 28, 2016
    Noioso e non molto pauroso. La trama di base è striminzita. Magari inizialmente non sembra essere un flop, ma una volta arrivati a metà film inizi a comprendi la sua totale insufficienza.
  100. Aug 10, 2016
    A movie that's not scary not clever not entering it's just there. It's not complete awful just a it's a pointless and hallow remake of a Japanese movie.

1. A master of atmosphere, Japanese director Takashi Shimizu leads his audience along on a celluloid leash to his pitch-black attic of horror, inviting each hair on the back of your neck to stand up.
    The overdetermined approach preempts character shadings or social subtext-just compare Hideo Nakata's original "Ring," which tapped its dread from viral-replicant mass culture and its pathos from a broken home, or Nakata's "Dark Water," which channeled the sorrow, guilt, and paranoia felt by a young divorcée mired in a custody battle.
    Less a film than a terror delivery system, The Grudge repeatedly shows off Shimizu's technical chops, but never gives viewers a reason to care about or identify with the victims.