The Hammer

8.4

1. Mar 13, 2016
    Excellent romcom with big heart and lots of laughs.

Excellent romcom with big heart and lots of laughs.

I can not count the amount of times I have shared this movie with a friend only to hear the say "oh, Adam Carolla, I don't want to watch that". To which I respond, "you don't know what you are talking about, you watched that crappy movie last week, you can just try this one out" and low and behold this movie enjoyed by all. Great movie almost perfect.
  2. rk
    Jul 19, 2009
    Sweet, clever. This is really straight from Carolla's heart. Suffers from some flat acting on the leading man's part (sorry, Ace-man). Nice use of music, with the exception of the "laugh now, 'cause we're being goofy" incidental musical bits. Overall worth your time, especially if you're a Carolla fan.
  3. DerekG
    Jun 29, 2009
    I went in to The Hammer expecting the worst: Two hours of Carolla's frank, dry observational humor with a tacked on story. What I got was a surprisingly deep and even touching story of a 40 year old never-was trying to make something of himself. The acting is all charming and well casted, the music is top notch for an independent project, and it all works very well. I was on the I went in to The Hammer expecting the worst: Two hours of Carolla's frank, dry observational humor with a tacked on story. What I got was a surprisingly deep and even touching story of a 40 year old never-was trying to make something of himself. The acting is all charming and well casted, the music is top notch for an independent project, and it all works very well. I was on the brink of tears when I wasn't laughing out loud. Expand
  4. TomL.
    Mar 6, 2009
    A rare gem. If your more than burned out on 100 million dollar Hollywood crap, take a chance on this. I can't believe more screens didn't pick this up. Well, leftist PC Hollywood doesn't give it's stamp of approval I guess.
  5. ChadS.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Jerry Ferro(Adam Carolla) was legit, but he quit. That's why the former-Golden Gloves contender works as a day laborer with no designs forthcoming that portends of a life trajectory any less trivial and lamentable. But despite Jerry's advanced age, the down-and-out carpenter discovers that his aptitude for the sweet science never really left him. "The Hammer" is a superior Jerry Ferro(Adam Carolla) was legit, but he quit. That's why the former-Golden Gloves contender works as a day laborer with no designs forthcoming that portends of a life trajectory any less trivial and lamentable. But despite Jerry's advanced age, the down-and-out carpenter discovers that his aptitude for the sweet science never really left him. "The Hammer" is a superior "Rocky"-knockoff that largely avoids the canned sentimentality and emotional uplift of the overfamiliar underdog sports movie genre by surrounding Jerry with a trainer, a girlfriend, and a best friend who bear no resemblance to their counterparts in "Rocky". The trainer is duplicitous, the girlfriend is well-adjusted, and the best friend is a Guatamelan illegal. "The Hammer" seems closer in spirit to "The Rookie" than the six-part Rocky Balboa saga because this low-key charmer never goes for the knockout punch. In a training montage that doesn't coalesce, Survivor has trouble getting out of first gear, since Jerry's eye is more like the "Eye of the Housecat". In the big fight, "The Hammer" once again avoids the "Rocky" template and is better for it. Big, overblown emotions often leaves the viewer with a hollow feeling. It's overfamiliar. "The Hammer" is small in scale, and realistic about the heights that a forty-year-old boxer could realistically reach. From Adam Carolla, you'd expect another boxing kangaroo picture, but surprise, surprise, this is more like John Turturro's "Mac". Expand
  6. JayH.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Adam Carolla's style of humor is very endearing and quite funny. Pretty good movie, better than I was expecting. Great cast, well written, nicely developed characters and it has an original approach.
  7. JulieH.
    Apr 22, 2008
    A funny, warm story from the underdog's point of view. I don't get the R rating, but it is a movie about a boxer. I loved the characters (especially Ozzy!), and how good the whole story felt.
  8. HeatherR.
    Apr 8, 2008
    This movie was very charming and a great breakout work for Adam! Go Ace Man!
  9. TurnAbout
    Mar 27, 2008
    Feel free to disregard the snarky, joyless, elitist review from Bill White of the Seattle PI. This film is wonderful and deserves no less than absolute success. A lighthearted, unpretentious comedy with a warm heart.
  10. TomS
    Mar 24, 2008
    This is a genuinely funny and likable movie. The "R" rating is completely undeserved -- a couple uses of adult language did not prevent my 11-year old from really enjoying it. Very much a family movie that will appeal to both men and women. (How does metacritic rate this a cumulative 57 with 9 scores over 57 and two under? Retarded.)
  11. JamesM.
    Mar 24, 2008
    I saw this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It was funny and had a surprisingly deep story.
  12. DouglasQ.
    Mar 23, 2008
    It has some very funny scenes (I like the jump rope bit), a cool story, and a very likable sidekick. It didn't challenge any film conventions, rather it used them well to drive the action forward and pace the movie just right.
  13. JustinJ.
    Mar 22, 2008
    I have to say that I was surprised. Adam Carolla, who hasn't shown himself to be a particularly competent actor in the past, turned in a unexpectedly strong performance. There was an earnestness and authenticity to the story that really touched me. As the narrative unfolded, I found myself really caring about the characters and, in the end, it proved to be a genuinely poignant tale. I have to say that I was surprised. Adam Carolla, who hasn't shown himself to be a particularly competent actor in the past, turned in a unexpectedly strong performance. There was an earnestness and authenticity to the story that really touched me. As the narrative unfolded, I found myself really caring about the characters and, in the end, it proved to be a genuinely poignant tale. If that wasn't enough, it was also funny. There was a cleverness and wit to the film that caught me off guard and made me laugh. Expand
  14. Sam
    Mar 21, 2008
    A rare thing. A comedy that is funny! I watched this film in a small theater in downtown Seattle with my wife and rarely did more than a few minutes ever go by without a big laugh. It's climax was met with utter silence... the good kind of silence. It's simple charm reminded me of Swingers, a favorite of mine. Seek out this movie and ignore the latest A rare thing. A comedy that is funny! I watched this film in a small theater in downtown Seattle with my wife and rarely did more than a few minutes ever go by without a big laugh. It's climax was met with utter silence... the good kind of silence. It's simple charm reminded me of Swingers, a favorite of mine. Seek out this movie and ignore the latest "the-guy-accidentally-ate-dog-feces" and "pubic-hair-got-on-the-wedding-cake" unfunny yawnfest. Expand
  15. VanceP.
    Mar 21, 2008
    SUCH a good movie, there is something in it for everyone. Must go see it.
  16. SteveC.
    Mar 21, 2008
    Genuinely Funny, memorable performances. Finally a comedy that's not afraid to get away from the mainstream "head-trauma" Adam Sandler, Owen Wilson, Martin Lawrence styles and get back to basics: a funny script! This is an indie that'll go far
  17. NealV.
    Mar 19, 2008
    Adam Carolla and Heather Juergensen are both suprisingly likeable and share a great onscreen chemistry. This film follows in the traditions of other recent independent sucesses by being much better than the tired holllywood formula.
  18. HerbertM.
    Mar 17, 2008
    This movie is GREAT! Here is a poem I wrote about it: It was Icarus who flew on waxen wings, Too close to the sun and into the sea. A legend that

If you liked "Rocky Balboa" you should be in good shape, since it's exactly the same movie, just aimed at a teeny-tiny-bit younger demographic and with an affectless leading man who avoids hambone acting by not acting at all.
  2. Reviewed by: Ronnie Scheib
    This inordinately likable and consistently funny boxing saga-cum-romantic comedy doesn't so much ridicule the "Rocky"-type inspirational sports fable as gently deflate its heroic overdrive.
    Former "Loveline" and "The Man Show" co-host Adam Carolla brings his self-deprecating, improvisational, regular-dude deadpan--as well as his former Golden Gloves status--to this semi-autobiographical comedy with ambitions so low that one might call it charmingly mediocre.