Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: May 26, 2011
5.6
Mixed or average reviews based on 638 Ratings
Watch Now
AutiTakahashiJun 8, 2012
We've been told before to touch not the things that are without fault. Altering that which is already awesome could be a risky act, but repeating it could be even worse, because it shows no diligence and bravery. "The Hangover Part II"We've been told before to touch not the things that are without fault. Altering that which is already awesome could be a risky act, but repeating it could be even worse, because it shows no diligence and bravery. "The Hangover Part II" resembles its 2009 predecessor so much that it's probably more appropriate to regard it as a remake, than as a sequel.
The extent of the similarity between the two "Hangover" movies suggests hungry wallets for its makers. When the script is hurried, the shooting will be also. Paychecks are rewarded earlier, and audiences are left to watch a meaner, dirtier, and more offensive version of the same movie. There is a significant increase in violence, coarse language, and public display of privates. To warn viewers that are more sensitive, I would specify which organs to expect, but the setting of the film is Thailand, and if there's one thing I learned, it's that we can never be sure of what we see.
The setting is in Thailand because Stu's fiancée, Lauren, is from that country, and her parents wish that the wedding is to be held there. Phil, Alan and Doug join Stu, which later leads to a beer at a beach with Lauren's little brother, Teddy. The next morning they uhm... forget it. You know the drill. Our heroes wake up with a lack of memory and a series of questions, and from this point on we are tasked to listen to conversations we have all heard before.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/the-hangover-part-2-movie-review/
EmptyFilmStockMay 25, 2012
It has its funny moments and its "OMFG CAN'T BREATHE" moments, but those just about 10% of the movie. This is just a giant carbon copy of the first. Even the perverted and raunchy humor that made the original a hit has gotten a little stupidIt has its funny moments and its "OMFG CAN'T BREATHE" moments, but those just about 10% of the movie. This is just a giant carbon copy of the first. Even the perverted and raunchy humor that made the original a hit has gotten a little stupid and old. This movie just barely hits the okay mark. Expand
RikiegeFeb 15, 2013
Just like its earlier part, except this time in Thailand.
HaithamBayazeedJan 12, 2013
The first one was for sure better, but I don't care, it delivered a lot of laughs. The Hangover 2 is not funnier, smarter and dangerous than the first Hangover (epic).
ninja_dolphinJul 16, 2013
This film was a disappointment for me, having enjoyed part 1 immensely. It felt like too much of a rehash with the plot of the original being mirrored with some less funny, darker and raunchier comedy. I laughed a lot less in this movie whenThis film was a disappointment for me, having enjoyed part 1 immensely. It felt like too much of a rehash with the plot of the original being mirrored with some less funny, darker and raunchier comedy. I laughed a lot less in this movie when compared to the original which was upsetting considering my love for the original. The movie still has it's moments, such as the drug dealing monkey, but the majority of the movies is unfunny or recycled. I still found the movie watchable for the actors chemistry and occasional funny joke but overall this film was a massive disappointment. Expand
MaricaSep 2, 2014
"Oh, you are having a bad day. Did you die?" - Mr. Chow

Not as good as the first in the series, but it still makes you fun.

************************
M0vieAddictJun 2, 2013
Yes, it's a cash-grab. Why does Bradley Cooper lead again? He's given almost nothing to satisfy the viewer except to keep the two crazies (Alan and Stu) apart. The way Stu freaks out and matures throughout this movie is both admirable andYes, it's a cash-grab. Why does Bradley Cooper lead again? He's given almost nothing to satisfy the viewer except to keep the two crazies (Alan and Stu) apart. The way Stu freaks out and matures throughout this movie is both admirable and funny, of which Ed Helms should be proud. Alan is viewed as the spoilt child but manages to make people smile once more. The only two characters in this franchise that are worth savouring (if you don't count Mr Chow) The plot is dark. The jokes are rehashed and Bangkok is a gritty place to spend this hangover. Only tune in for Helms and Galifianakis, with a side of Jeong. Expand
JMoretzMay 30, 2013
The first Hangover movie was wonderful. I have to say I was less than impressed with the second. It was more of the same, just in a new location. It did have its moments, and the actors were still great!
KivaJun 11, 2013
Didn't like it actually. I laughed but if you think about it, it was a waste of time. I know they are laughable and the actors are great, but it was predictable not like the first film. I hope the 3rd one is better because Ghalifianakis mustDidn't like it actually. I laughed but if you think about it, it was a waste of time. I know they are laughable and the actors are great, but it was predictable not like the first film. I hope the 3rd one is better because Ghalifianakis must be the best comedian in the world right now and i really want to laugh like i did in the first film Expand
George-rootsJun 25, 2013
This movie was funny, no doubt about it, yet i don't think it's perfect.

1. It literally IS the first movie, the same setup the same payoff and same revalations that are all solved at the end of the movie. 2. The comedy is much Darker,
This movie was funny, no doubt about it, yet i don't think it's perfect.

2. The comedy is much Darker, depending whether or not you like that, some parts for me literally had me thinking this is just... insane but genious.

Some part of me says people have been to judgemental of this film, i'm thinking this is gonna be the modern "National Lampoon Vacation" series, something also makes me wonder what would happen should THIS film have came first.

Nevertheless I didn't care, i loved the movie and considering all these REALLY unneccesary sequels being made at the moment this one wasn't either BUT IT WAS MADE RIGHT.

Final Verdict: Try and review it as this is the only movie, if you like it you do if you don't you don't, personally i think it's missing all the surprise of the first one, but i still considered it good for what it's worth.

"Phil... I'm scared".
eagleeyevikingJan 21, 2016
While the plot is basically rehashed the exact way it is from the first film, The Hangover Part II is still a relatively wild and fun ride with more raunchiness and crude humour.
MarickJan 8, 2015
The Hangover Part II is a 2011 American comedy film produced by Legendary Pictures and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is the sequel to 2009's The Hangover and the second film in The Hangover trilogy. Todd Phillips directed the filmThe Hangover Part II is a 2011 American comedy film produced by Legendary Pictures and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is the sequel to 2009's The Hangover and the second film in The Hangover trilogy. Todd Phillips directed the film in addition to co-authoring the script with Craig Mazin, and Scot Armstrong. The film stars Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong, Jeffrey Tambor, Justin Bartha and Paul Giamatti. It tells the story of Phil, Stu, Alan, and Doug as they travel to Thailand for Stu's wedding. After the bachelor party in Las Vegas, Stu takes no chances and opts for a safe, subdued pre-wedding brunch. Things do not go as planned, resulting in another bad hangover with no memories of the previous night. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 25, 2015
here's a reason why Groundhog Day doesn't have a sequel. Comedies built around a high concept may be great for one go-round, but when you try to replicate their USP you’re liable to end up with Home Alone 2: Lost In New York. The makers ofhere's a reason why Groundhog Day doesn't have a sequel. Comedies built around a high concept may be great for one go-round, but when you try to replicate their USP you’re liable to end up with Home Alone 2: Lost In New York. The makers of the mega-grossing The Hangover have chosen to ignore this rule. The result is this pale Xerox of a movie, which sticks so closely to its predecessor’s blueprint that it plays out more like a remake.

The 2009 original was Very Bad Things via Memento, a cleverly structured dumb comedy about a stag night that wittily skipped the 'good stuff', piecing together the specifics of the debauch like CSI: Las Vegas. For the follow-up, director Todd Phillips has made the logical decision to re-locate to the one place seedier than Sin City: Bangkok. Through a hazily sketched-out set-up — dentist Stu (Ed Helms) is set to wed a non-mail-order Thai bride (Jamie Chung) - the gang are reunited and set loose in another mean metropolis. Except where the first film pinballed from surprise to surprise (hooker! Tiger! Tyson!), here the screenwriters have settled for tapping 'Find & Replace'.

There's another creature, in the shape of an impish monkey in a Rolling Stones jacket that’s probably not official merchandise (note to all involved: animals smoking aren’t funny). There’s another sex worker, in the form of a stripper with a secret that would make Alan Partridge go, “A-ha!”. There are more Kanye West music cues, another travel-show montage over the opening credits, a second bride-to-be, a further big speech from Helms at the end… All this recycling might be a conscious choice, but it results in a caper that’s listless where it should be anarchic.

The humour’s even raunchier than before, leading to some cringily funny vignettes, most involving lunatic loudmouth Alan (Zach Galifianakis) or preening crime lord Mr. Chow (Ken Jeong) — although the much-discussed tattoo-artist character, who was to be played by Mel Gibson/ Liam Neeson and is actually played by Nick Cassevetes, is disappointingly only there to deliver exposition. But where the film succeeds in making Bangkok look like a sleazy, decrepit hellhole, it seems less concerned with finding actual jokes. One plot-strand involving Paul Giamatti stands out as being particularly devoid of laughter and thrills.

A Get Him To The Greek-style spin-off with Alan at the forefront might have been a better way to capitalise on the Wolf Pack’s chemistry. Instead, we’ve ended up with one very padded Thai adventure.

According to Phillips, the 'Part II' in the title is a nod to the second Godfather, which matched the genius of its forerunner. Ironically, his own sequel offer is one you should refuse.
TheDude-Jun 12, 2015
The gags are an exact retread of the first film (same situation different setting) except they are mostly unfunny where as the first film was hilarious don't see this movie it is a complete cash grab.
EpicLadySpongeMar 21, 2016
As the Hangover begins to get great, the many adventures of its sequel never turned out to be successful. I thought only one Hangover installment was needed. I asked myself the same question over and over again for these last two installmentsAs the Hangover begins to get great, the many adventures of its sequel never turned out to be successful. I thought only one Hangover installment was needed. I asked myself the same question over and over again for these last two installments of the Hangover. I asked myself this: "Do we really need a Hangover sequel?" Expand
MovieMasterEddyApr 6, 2016
The funniest, most reckless moments in “The Hangover Part II,” the largely mirthless sequel to the 2009 hit “The Hangover,” take place in the final credits, when still images flash by detailing the latest misadventures of the story’sThe funniest, most reckless moments in “The Hangover Part II,” the largely mirthless sequel to the 2009 hit “The Hangover,” take place in the final credits, when still images flash by detailing the latest misadventures of the story’s overgrown lost boys. The outrages, most of which are once again carefully elided in the actual movie, involve a slipped knife, a tribal tattoo and Thai bar girls performing specialized party tricks. The final credits are the time when viewers meander or flee from the theater or sit in stunned or ecstatic silence or chattering communion. Here the credits just emphasize how deeply square this flick is.

Like the first movie, the new one involves a groom — here, the formerly married Stu (Ed Helms) — who, on the eve of his own wedding, experiences various forbidden pleasures. In other words, he briefly escapes his mundane reality as a nice-guy dentist before settling down with a soon-to-be wife, Lauren (Jamie Chung). As before Stu’s companions are a pretty boy, Phil (Bradley Cooper), and an odd duck, Alan (Zach Galifianakis), whose straight-man-and-dummy dynamic works along the lines of an R-rated Abbott and Costello. Stu, by contrast, is the everyman who journeys into the dark night — now, the jammed streets and clubs of Bangkok — on his way to enlightenment, though more likely another sequel.

The director Todd Phillips, who wrote the new “Hangover” with Craig Mazin and Scot Armstrong (the first was credited to Jon Lucas and Scott Moore), cleaves numbingly to the script of the previous movie. Stu, with Phil, Alan, another friend, Doug (Justin Bartha) and Stu’s teenage future brother-in-law, Teddy (Mason Lee), shares drinks, toasting his fast-approaching nuptials. A few edits later, and he, Phil and Alan are groggily waking up in a wrecked hotel room, as they did in the first movie, only this time there’s a capuchin monkey on board instead of a baby. Shrieks and panic ensue as the friends try to figure out what happened, where Teddy is and how a human finger ended up without its hand.

If you superimposed a diagram that mapped out all the narrative beats, characters and jokes in “The Hangover Part II” over one for “The Hangover,” the two would align almost perfectly. Banking on the studio adage that there’s no success like a previous box office hit, Mr. Phillips and company dutifully recycle the first movie to increasingly diminishing ends that include the baby-now-monkey, the giggly, swishy gangster Mr. Chow (Ken Jeong) and the obligatory, obliging anti-wives (i.e., whores). Paul Giamatti shows up, as do Jeffrey Tambor, Mike Tyson, the director Nick Cassavetes and assorted extras filling in for monks, gangsters, strippers, merchants and gawkers. There’s a car chase, and at one point the monkey takes a computer-generated smoke, doubtless to take its mind off the movie.

Mr. Phillips throws in one good visual joke in a flashback that reveals how Alan, an overgrown child of privilege, sees himself and his friends. Mr. Galifianakis is a naturally funny screen presence, and he gives Alan a strong current of menace, turning him into a combustible teddy bear whose naïveté ignites all the trouble and serves as its convenient excuse. A walking, toddling id, the guy can’t help it, and neither can the friends he accidentally on purpose drags into his mess. In “The Hangover” and “The Hangover Part II” grown men cast off the shackles of everyday existence, leaving behind girlfriends, wives, parents and jobs in order to play, feel, live, which is why these nominal comedies are better thought of as tragedies.
UNARMED_JORDSep 15, 2016
gone is the fun and replay value of the first film, and in its place the hangover part II offers quite possibly one of the most dissapointing movie sequels ive ever seen, in fact the highlights and what saved this movie was the astounding andgone is the fun and replay value of the first film, and in its place the hangover part II offers quite possibly one of the most dissapointing movie sequels ive ever seen, in fact the highlights and what saved this movie was the astounding and hilarious performance of Ken Jeong as Leslie chow Expand