5.8

Jun 14, 2008
    If you're going to see an M. Night Shyamalan movie, you're going to be disappointed. This isn't a good movie at all really. What it is is a cheesy horror flick with a budget. The music and cinematography is great, but the mood is sort of ruined as a whole. If you go into this movie, expecting to crack jokes and laugh, then you'll have a slightly better time. I honestly If you're going to see an M. Night Shyamalan movie, you're going to be disappointed. This isn't a good movie at all really. What it is is a cheesy horror flick with a budget. The music and cinematography is great, but the mood is sort of ruined as a whole. If you go into this movie, expecting to crack jokes and laugh, then you'll have a slightly better time. I honestly think if the focus was more on the story, and less on the shock, it could've been better. This is coming from a long time fan, I enjoyed all of Shyamalan's previous works, including Lady in the Water, but The Happening was legitimately bad. I won't hold this against him, though; even the best film makers have made a bad decision, and I still regard him as one of the best film makers of our time. He should just stay away from B-horror movies in the future. Expand
  2. Mar 27, 2012
    One of the funniest bad movies I have ever seen and in my opinion, it's up there with The Room. This film is just dumb, dumb, dumb. The premise, plot and its logic don't make any sense, the concept and execution of the neurotoxin or plant or whatever it is that makes people commit suicide is laughably bad, the actors are dull and boring and it's not scary at all. In fact, it's absolutelyOne of the funniest bad movies I have ever seen and in my opinion, it's up there with The Room. This film is just dumb, dumb, dumb. The premise, plot and its logic don't make any sense, the concept and execution of the neurotoxin or plant or whatever it is that makes people commit suicide is laughably bad, the actors are dull and boring and it's not scary at all. In fact, it's absolutely hilarious. If you don't take this film seriously , you might get many hilarities when there's a really dumb or over the top moment. In a broader prospective, it's Shyamalan at his usual worst. A very stupid film. Expand
  3. Jul 7, 2011
    While this movie doe s pose an idea that could have been made into something interesting, M. Night Shyamalan fails to tell us a compelling story with characters that don t make you want to slit your wrists every time they open their mouth, or do anything. Mark Wahlbergs acting is horrible, the little girl acting was better. The suicide scenes become distasteful. The character actions areWhile this movie doe s pose an idea that could have been made into something interesting, M. Night Shyamalan fails to tell us a compelling story with characters that don t make you want to slit your wrists every time they open their mouth, or do anything. Mark Wahlbergs acting is horrible, the little girl acting was better. The suicide scenes become distasteful. The character actions are unbelievable to the circumstances. M. Night Shyamalans earlier work was good, this is not. Pass. Expand
  4. May 4, 2014
    Despite pulling off one or two tricky shots, "The Happening" is severely undone by its vastly distasteful screenplay, filled with implausibility, unforgivably strange characters, and painful dialogue.
  5. TylerG.
    Jun 13, 2008
    This movie is OK at best. It's decently fun to watch but most of the performances are just so down right terrible its hard to believe the amount of hype and marketing behind such a let down. M. Night better make a good film and make it fast.
  6. MichaelP.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Not a great movie by any means, but it certainly doesn't deserve the trashing it's taken from critics. The first half hour is good creepy fun even if the last hour doesn't measure up.
  7. Jan 11, 2015
    A dark, mysterious and generally entertaining environmental thriller, The Happening may not appeal to everyone's taste from what we know the director for but still manages to bring enough horror elements in It's time to be worth while.
  8. EricJ.
    Jun 20, 2008
    It's not so horrible that you'll run out of the theater, but you'll at least consider walking about half-way through. It's main weakness seems to be Mr. Wahlberg, who seems to only have one mood throughout the entire film. Otherwise, it's just a chase movie between running people and inanimate objects.
  9. PaigeC.
    Jul 30, 2008
    The only thing that bothered me in this film was the amount of comic relief. There was too much and make the movie more of a comical movie than anything else. It did have good moments of suspence and I did jump however.
  10. JoeU.
    Aug 4, 2008
    I think the movie was enjoyable, but, i did not like the script, i think it was lazy, not well worked, amateur. I also think Shyamalan tried to do something new but it didnt work either.
  11. JayH.
    Oct 1, 2008
    Ahhhh, M Night Shyamalan. Mr. pretentious. And he does nearly kill what could have been a much better film. But I like this one better than his last string of stinkers. Mark Wahlberg is a big plus, it is well acted. Shyamalan needs to get off his high horse.
  12. FredS.
    Jun 16, 2008
    Started out good, but went to crap and stayed crappy for the rest of the movie.
  13. AndreT.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Not as bad as the critics might tell. The movie has some suspence in it, the starting idea is pretty good, but by the end it gets somewhat confused. The acting in this movie doesn't sell the film at all. Is it the comedians or how they were directed ? For once, I think Mr. Shalayman missed on the actor directing. The story is average and how it's filmed is more then decent. I Not as bad as the critics might tell. The movie has some suspence in it, the starting idea is pretty good, but by the end it gets somewhat confused. The acting in this movie doesn't sell the film at all. Is it the comedians or how they were directed ? For once, I think Mr. Shalayman missed on the actor directing. The story is average and how it's filmed is more then decent. I think it's time for Shalayman to direct a movie that was writen by someone else...it would help him on how he writes his own stories. Expand
  14. Rev.Rikard
    Jul 14, 2008
    It is quite obvious that critics are not ready to forgive Shyamalan for "Lady in the Water." He needed a great film like "Sixth Sense" or "The Village" to bury Lady in the Water for good. This was not it. However, the film was better than most reviews. I found its opening and first half hour really entertaining and interesting. From there one wonders if Shymalan's mind took a It is quite obvious that critics are not ready to forgive Shyamalan for "Lady in the Water." He needed a great film like "Sixth Sense" or "The Village" to bury Lady in the Water for good. This was not it. However, the film was better than most reviews. I found its opening and first half hour really entertaining and interesting. From there one wonders if Shymalan's mind took a sabbatical. "The Happening"'s noticeable flaw was the poor ending. I have never felt films needed have their endings neatly packaged, with all questions answered and problems solved. However, this ending leads the viewers to believe Shymalan ran out of creative ideas. It doesn't call upon us to employ our imaginations as well. The sequel could be easily produced: just run the film again. I really believed this film had potential, and stimulated our expectations. I find it difficult to forgive a director that raises my hopes and dashes them with a shabbily, inane ending. Expand
  15. BitBurn
    Jul 5, 2008
    As a huge fan of M.Night, I must agree with most of the negative reviews. Something was seriously missing here, a lot of things. Acting was poor, storyline was weak with no real subject and no real emotion. A couple scenes were okay but overall it disappoints.
  16. JackS.
    Sep 5, 2008
    If a small time director was responsible fro this movie, it would recieive good reviews based solely on the fact that such a movie would not be expected from them. But its the fact that M.Night Shaylaman directed, wrote and co-produced this movie set viewers high expectations that this film couldnt possibly achieve. A brilliant idea, but it didn't and never will work well in a movie. If a small time director was responsible fro this movie, it would recieive good reviews based solely on the fact that such a movie would not be expected from them. But its the fact that M.Night Shaylaman directed, wrote and co-produced this movie set viewers high expectations that this film couldnt possibly achieve. A brilliant idea, but it didn't and never will work well in a movie. Plants just arent scary. The opening sequences were brilliant, thrilling and unique, and the film slipped away after that point, that just happened to be passing by. Dissapointing from a big time director like shaylaman, but a good film none the less. Expected it to be alot deeper like the rest of shaylamans works. Expand
  17. HastyManic
    Oct 13, 2008
    A new camp classic...Howlingly hilarious in its pompous ambitions, stupifyingly awful execution, and the low end of Z quality acting and dialogue. I was entertained, but for completely unintended reasons.
  18. DemetriusM.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Corny script, poor acting by Wahlberg and Deschanel really proves that this movie is a contender for Golden Raspberry awards. Wahlberg performance never convinced me that this movie dealing with mystery event. The mystery is well written, will give movie-goers goosebumps but when they reminded of Wahlberg and Deschanel performance, all mystery climax will slip away, much like the storyline.
  19. Kyle
    Jun 16, 2008
    The problem with this movie is simple: it's a self-aware B-movie being sold as a feature to an audience who is expecting one. B-movies are, by their very nature, cheesy. The acting has always been bad, the gore rather amusing, and the story fairly predictable. Everything in this movie points to B-movie status. If you go in expecting a ridiculous movie, you'll probably have a The problem with this movie is simple: it's a self-aware B-movie being sold as a feature to an audience who is expecting one. B-movies are, by their very nature, cheesy. The acting has always been bad, the gore rather amusing, and the story fairly predictable. Everything in this movie points to B-movie status. If you go in expecting a ridiculous movie, you'll probably have a good time laughing at it. If you expect a big-budget feature, you'll have a horrible time. If you want to critique it, hold it up against other B-movies. I give it a 5 for the effort and the laughs. Expand
  20. AD.
    Jun 16, 2008
    Impractical with bad acting!
  21. BrianB.
    Jun 23, 2008
    Horrible. A disappointing disaster.
  22. JoshO.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Why did i have such a high expectation from this film? Mr. Shamalan made a movie which was supposed to be a thriller and turned it into a windy day of suicides. No special effects, no memorable lines, just a failed attempt at Mr. Shamalan's chance of redemption. Save your money for Wall-E people.
  23. TedN.
    Jun 14, 2008
    The idea was kind of cool. And when people started dying in interesting ways, that was interesting but then the movie just sucks.
  24. KennethC.
    Jun 14, 2008
    I went into this movie expecting alot and maybe that's why I was disappointed. If I didn't know who the director was maybe I would have enjoyed it, but I doubt it. Wahlberg's performance was on par with Justin Timberlake's performance in Black Snake Moan. I hope that isn't taken as a compliment.
  25. RyanN
    Jun 16, 2008
    Lasting psychological effect - I think that's the only realm of consistency for MNS's films. Drove home thinking people were gonna hit me. Saw people at the coffee shop standing still and got pretty creeped out. Dialogue is dry and generally poor, but that's par for the course. The film seems a little to moralistic to end without a hope/purpose/lesson. But shit, it was Lasting psychological effect - I think that's the only realm of consistency for MNS's films. Drove home thinking people were gonna hit me. Saw people at the coffee shop standing still and got pretty creeped out. Dialogue is dry and generally poor, but that's par for the course. The film seems a little to moralistic to end without a hope/purpose/lesson. But shit, it was pretty creepy. Expand
  26. TiagoM.
    Jun 25, 2008
    A interesting idea complete wasted in a stupid script and shallow performances.
  27. BrandonT.
    Jun 26, 2008
    The premise of this movie isn't so bad but the script was abominable.
  28. BillyS.
    Jun 29, 2008
    The Happening. Stuff happens, but it's just not Happening!
  29. SamuelJ
    Jul 19, 2008
    I truly wanted to like this movie. I am a huge M Night fan and I even like Marky Mark, but I just couldn't enjoy it. The plot is too simple, it is just pointlessly gory, and lacks any form of the word suspense. I will pretend that this movie never happened (hehe....pun) if you promise to do better next time M. Night.
  30. Nov 5, 2011
    This became a dull film with a really bad plot, and confusing - but Wahlberg's performance was a little So and So with his character in The Happening. This film isn't what you might expect for a disaster film. It's a confusing film (for understanding what the film is about), and I think it wasn't showing any suspense or thrills in this sci-fi film.
  31. Sep 2, 2014
    M. Night Shyamalan + Mark Wahlberg + Zooey Deschanel? On what level did we truly expect this one to work. There's no traditional Shyamalan that we crave in each of his films.
  32. Apr 5, 2012
    A pretty pathetic attempt at a horror story. It was bizarre and creepy at times, but most of it was pretty stupid with some weird acting from a weird script. Interesting concept that was poorly done.
  33. Nov 8, 2012
    The Happening could've been so much more than it was, but Shyamalan cuts it down to 91 minutes and leaves us still hungry.
  34. Mar 20, 2014
    The happening is a bad movie, with a bad story and terrible performances, And that's just me being generous.
    believe it or not, M. Night is one of my favorite directors, yes even after all the terrible movies he's done, because sometimes i get what is he trying to deliver, however i didn't feel anything about this one.
    Mark Wahlberg is also one of my favorite actors, so saying this, is
    Mark Wahlberg is also one of my favorite actors, so saying this, is really hard for me.
    First the story which was dull and stupid, and then the fact that everything about this movie is forced,
    forced thriller and forced scenes and the fact that everything "should" be scary and weird.And all that was ok with me.
    what gets me is the terrible awful down right insulting performance by Zooey Deschanel, i mean seriously, she couldn't act at all and didn't make sense the entire film.
    and you have another bad performance by John Leguizamo and the sad thing is that even Mark Wahlberg performance was bad, watching him squeeze his face to make some impressions is really painful to watch.
    after all, this is just a bad movie being bad with no excuse of excising, thank you very much M. Night for making me feel weird about myself watching Mark Wahlberg talking to a plant, Sigh.
  35. Jul 15, 2013
    Entretenida otra buena pelicula de M night salayman guarda un buen suspenso y trayectoria es el trauma de esta familia por salir de este casi irremediable problema
  36. Jun 14, 2013
    wow that was a bad movie. Starts good but seriously thenature wants to attack us? What the heck? M.night has made such great movies like The sixth sense and Devil is not that bad. But this one was extremely bad. Too scientific for a horror movie. Thumbs down
  37. Dec 20, 2013
    M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening" would rather be a nonsense science fiction film with no clues to the problem itself. It's direction of camera filming was a shaky performance and the characters in the film was not mere fully fit for filmography career, but as of the film's thrilling scenes and eerie to scary sounds, it can be considered an okay film.

The story mainly focuses on the

The story mainly focuses on the problem only not on the scale of the plot. The plot sequence was feeling randomly assessed. This film was too bad for Shyamalan's popularity on directing on some of his best critically acclaimed films like The Sixth Sense (1999).

Rating 5 10

1. The movie seems more like a '50s science fiction film of extreme paranoia or an episode of "The Twilight Zone" that even at a swiftly paced 90 minutes feels padded.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    In short, this is a Shyamalan movie minus the bravado, the swagger; there are no audacious attempts to pull out the rug from under the audience, no ham-fisted lessons about the importance of religious belief or the power of storytelling.
    What a bunch of nonsense--effective nonsense, chilling nonsense, occasionally wrenching nonsense, but nonsense nonetheless.