Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: June 13, 2008
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 707 Ratings
Watch Now
EpicLadySpongeFeb 19, 2016
M. Night Shyamalan's famous line from the Sixth Sense has all came true! He actually see dead people in this entire movie for 110 minutes. How cool is that!
SpangleNov 21, 2016
Heavily inspired by the 1950s science fiction Cold War paranoia thrillers, The Happening is the film that gained notoriety for Mark Wahlberg talking to plants. This is an unfair reputation because the film is actually incredibly compelling.Heavily inspired by the 1950s science fiction Cold War paranoia thrillers, The Happening is the film that gained notoriety for Mark Wahlberg talking to plants. This is an unfair reputation because the film is actually incredibly compelling. Capturing the same paranoia and confusion of those 1950s films such as Invasion of the Body Snatchers (especially this one really), as well as the mistrust of government that could lead to such an incident and current events in regards to pollution, The Happening is a compelling film. Often times, it is incredibly thrilling and a truly enjoyable ride. However, it is undone by terrible dialogue and even worse acting that make you laugh more anything.

First, the negatives. The acting leaves so much to be desired. Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel are often equivalent to a brick wall trying to emote. There is one, incredibly tense, scene in which the two of them and Jess (Ashlyn Sanchez), the daughter of one of their friends who left her in Elliott (Wahlberg) and Alma's (Deschanel) care, are in a home in the middle of nowhere. Trying to escape whatever is causing people to kill themselves, they stay in the home of a clearly psychotic woman. When she tells Elliott that she can hear them plotting to kill her in her sleep (they were not), Wahlberg unconvincingly let's the words, "What? No!" leave his mouth and it left me in stitches. There are moments such as this throughout the film that left me dying of laughter, whether because the dialogue was so random and unconnected to the plot or because the delivery of the line was just that funny. There are so many random exchanges in the film that really do nothing for the plot, especially between Elliott and Alma, where Shyamalan tries to create emotional tension. This is truly The Happening's greatest weakness. Even when the acting is not that bad, the script is so horrifically written and scattershot that nobody can help but laugh at the dialogue. It often mirrors The Room in this regard, though it is far more focused. The Room is meandering chaos. The Happening has its random dialogue occur as the plot manages to progress. This element saves it from being worse, but the dialogue needed at least another dozen rewrites.

While those negatives really kill any steam the film could have possessed, there are some serious strengths offered by the film. Though undeniably a B-movie, Shyamalan knows tension and it is all over this film. This film is often incredibly thrilling as the residents try to figure out what is occurring and how to escape the wrath of the plants. While the plot can be silly, the implication of it and the way in which it makes it nearly impossible to escape really allows this film to be laced with paranoia. In particular, the ending sequence mirrors the hopelessness of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the fear that you realize this may not be over. In conjunction with the rest of the film, this ending is incredibly effective at eliciting fear in the viewer. While the terrible dialogue can often distract from the tension, when The Happening roars (particularly in the second half), it really hits.

Though I expected to hate this and laugh at it all the way through, I only laughed through half of The Happening. It is not entirely joyless either. While often horrifically written and horribly acted, The Happening shows that Shyamalan still knows how to direct, even if he cannot write. Somebody clearly needs to help this man out and lead him to a passable script because there is a talented director trapped inside, if only he could get out of his own way. The Happening, often cited as one of his worst efforts, is a perfect example of this. Though thrilling and paranoid, while calling back brilliantly to 1950s science fiction films, The Happening fails due to the writing and acting. If everybody in the film were mute, The Happening could have been a true science fiction wonder updated for the 21st century. Sadly, it is not that film.
Compi24May 4, 2014
Despite pulling off one or two tricky shots, "The Happening" is severely undone by its vastly distasteful screenplay, filled with implausibility, unforgivably strange characters, and painful dialogue.
beingryanjudeSep 2, 2014
M. Night Shyamalan + Mark Wahlberg + Zooey Deschanel? On what level did we truly expect this one to work. There's no traditional Shyamalan that we crave in each of his films.
csw12Jan 20, 2013
This is what you call a joke. Mark Wahlberg was absolutely terrible. The story was disgraceful. Bad cast, story feels long and drawn out for a 90 minute film. The Happening is just another flop from M Night
Meth-dudeNov 23, 2014
The happening had great potential but the realization of M.Night Shyamalan was not very good.The dialogues and the acting were really bad and when the action start,after 10 minutes it's over and they are again talking.The movie was stillThe happening had great potential but the realization of M.Night Shyamalan was not very good.The dialogues and the acting were really bad and when the action start,after 10 minutes it's over and they are again talking.The movie was still enjoyable even if it's not realistic at all. Expand
lukechristianscApr 5, 2015
Shyamalan's "plant vibe," was interesting that's what saved the film, however from a script gone bad this film was a atrocity that was hilariously bad. We are all a shamed that Whalberg and Zooey Deschanel are in a film were nothing makesShyamalan's "plant vibe," was interesting that's what saved the film, however from a script gone bad this film was a atrocity that was hilariously bad. We are all a shamed that Whalberg and Zooey Deschanel are in a film were nothing makes sense and have idiotic characters and humor. Writer and director M Night Shyamalan tries to make a film that tries to watchable and entertaining (he succeeds), but this movie is a B- movie. Grade B- Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 8, 2012
The Happening could've been so much more than it was, but Shyamalan cuts it down to 91 minutes and leaves us still hungry.
imthenoobSep 25, 2013
Poor acted, Painfully slow, and the interesting premise is quickly killed off by the lack luster story and the pathetic ending that leaves you very unsatisfied. I can see why critics hate it so much.
Trev29Apr 5, 2012
A pretty pathetic attempt at a horror story. It was bizarre and creepy at times, but most of it was pretty stupid with some weird acting from a weird script. Interesting concept that was poorly done.
choomtabi31Feb 11, 2016
Very good movie, a bit unrealistic but very good. And great cast! Liked it.

Watch it here for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-625-The-Happening-online-free
RayzorMooseNov 15, 2013
Little happens in The Happening.
Little happens in The Happening.
The Happening begins intriguing and mysterious until out stretching its concept. The acting is nothing special, and there isn't anything thought provoking about the ending. It simply ends when they decide its gotten too boring.
bfoore90Sep 20, 2015
Starts strong with a good story but is ultimately botched by poor film making and a sour acting performance from all involved, especially Mark Wahlberg.
KivaJun 14, 2013
wow that was a bad movie. Starts good but seriously thenature wants to attack us? What the heck? M.night has made such great movies like The sixth sense and Devil is not that bad. But this one was extremely bad. Too scientific for a horrorwow that was a bad movie. Starts good but seriously thenature wants to attack us? What the heck? M.night has made such great movies like The sixth sense and Devil is not that bad. But this one was extremely bad. Too scientific for a horror movie. Thumbs down Expand
ERG1008Aug 23, 2010
Central Park NYC, people start standing still then killing themselves, media blame it on terrorist attacks, spreads to Philadelphia, people evacuated to the countryside, gets worse, love can save the day.
If I had to describe this film in one
If I had to describe this film in one word it would be "ridiculous". It's sort of a cross between The Day After Tomorrow, Day of the Triffids & a reverse War of the Worlds.
The acting is pretty bad, dialogue not much better & the whole story is just plain & simple nonsense.
BradySmithJun 5, 2015
To quote Tropic Thunder, I think Shamalan has gone "full retard." And as far as we know, you don't come back from "full retard." Was this movie supposed to be funny? Cause it contained some of the funniest moments I've ever seen. WhalbergTo quote Tropic Thunder, I think Shamalan has gone "full retard." And as far as we know, you don't come back from "full retard." Was this movie supposed to be funny? Cause it contained some of the funniest moments I've ever seen. Whalberg thinking a doll is a person: "Mrs. Jones?", the roof jumper scene at the beginning, the... nah, there's too many to list. How do you go from making The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs to something like this? Granted, there are some atmospheric and emotionally effecting scenes here, but the movie's even more tragic due to them because you see glimpses of what could have been. The dialogue is awkward, half the time the performances are awkward, I laughed at half of the lines and all the death scenes... What the heck Shamalan? Did you write and direct this thing drunk? I just don't understand how...Just....how?? Expand
FilmVirtueJan 11, 2015
A dark, mysterious and generally entertaining environmental thriller, The Happening may not appeal to everyone's taste from what we know the director for but still manages to bring enough horror elements in It's time to be worth while.
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
More proof that M. Night Shyamalan is, indeed, a one-trick pony that relies on the same techniques in every film. Whereas some of his other movies occasionally have good acting and cinematography to pick up the slack, this movie has nothing.More proof that M. Night Shyamalan is, indeed, a one-trick pony that relies on the same techniques in every film. Whereas some of his other movies occasionally have good acting and cinematography to pick up the slack, this movie has nothing. It's just crap. Expand
LoRevisorJan 5, 2015
M. Night Shyamalan chegou ao cúmulo do desastre,com esse pedaço de lixo,coitada da pessoa que teve que pagar o ingresso para assistir esse desastre da história do cinema. Mark Wahlberg faz um excelente trabalho mas o filme não ajuda
TheWalrus2000Mar 9, 2013
In The Happening Shyamalan doesn't only stomp on his career, he tries to stomps on Wahlberg's as well. This film tried to be creepy and I'm pretty everyone who saw this afterwards said to him or herself what the hell did I just watch.
SeriosityDec 8, 2012
It has an eerie premise, but turns into nonsense. The best (worst?) part is when Mark Walhberg asks for the permission of plastic plants to enter their home.
EssenceOfSugarSep 21, 2012
It may be no finer a horror film than other similar distinguished works, but it worked for me. The acting may have been a little off-par, but Shyamalan has produced something that is worth watching. The actors were well matched and the wayIt may be no finer a horror film than other similar distinguished works, but it worked for me. The acting may have been a little off-par, but Shyamalan has produced something that is worth watching. The actors were well matched and the way events were anticipated through the wind in the trees and grass disturbed me thoroughly. Not only that, but the acts themselves alongside the atmospheric music almost scared the living daylights out of me. I think this film effectively posed a message towards the sceptics out there, of a growing problem that we need to face before it's too late, even if nobody else thought so. Expand
JmsbppJul 15, 2013
Entretenida otra buena pelicula de M night salayman guarda un buen suspenso y trayectoria es el trauma de esta familia por salir de este casi irremediable problema
davenbettridgeJul 7, 2011
While this movie doe s pose an idea that could have been made into something interesting, M. Night Shyamalan fails to tell us a compelling story with characters that don t make you want to slit your wrists every time they open their mouth, orWhile this movie doe s pose an idea that could have been made into something interesting, M. Night Shyamalan fails to tell us a compelling story with characters that don t make you want to slit your wrists every time they open their mouth, or do anything. Mark Wahlbergs acting is horrible, the little girl acting was better. The suicide scenes become distasteful. The character actions are unbelievable to the circumstances. M. Night Shyamalans earlier work was good, this is not. Pass. Expand
ExKingMar 20, 2014
The happening is a bad movie, with a bad story and terrible performances, And that's just me being generous.
believe it or not, M. Night is one of my favorite directors, yes even after all the terrible movies he's done, because sometimes i get what is he trying to deliver, however i didn't feel anything about this one.
Mark Wahlberg is also one of my favorite actors, so saying this, is really hard for me.
First the story which was dull and stupid, and then the fact that everything about this movie is forced,
forced thriller and forced scenes and the fact that everything "should" be scary and weird.And all that was ok with me.
what gets me is the terrible awful down right insulting performance by Zooey Deschanel, i mean seriously, she couldn't act at all and didn't make sense the entire film.
and you have another bad performance by John Leguizamo and the sad thing is that even Mark Wahlberg performance was bad, watching him squeeze his face to make some impressions is really painful to watch.
after all, this is just a bad movie being bad with no excuse of excising, thank you very much M. Night for making me feel weird about myself watching Mark Wahlberg talking to a plant, Sigh.
dijavantewowOct 17, 2010
Just want to start out by saying I was one of the few remaining M. Night fans still out there up until this. I actually enjoyed Lady In The Water, but this movie really pissed me off. I am a huge fan of Marky Mark Wahlberg too, and he wasJust want to start out by saying I was one of the few remaining M. Night fans still out there up until this. I actually enjoyed Lady In The Water, but this movie really pissed me off. I am a huge fan of Marky Mark Wahlberg too, and he was disappointing too. He wasn't even close to the problem though. The plot of this movie kept me going, and then at the M. Night just craps on us. I don't know if that was his best idea, or it was just laziness or what, but that wasn't an okay ending. Go back to your twists, they did you good. Expand
JunelKeanJul 4, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So what exactly is the happening from The Happening? Zooey Deschanel's big blue glaring eyes? Mark Wahlberg doing the same facial expressions in the whole movie? Oh! The plants taking revenge over mankind by completely annihilating it to make humans kill themselves. Well, that's it. Instead of having a dark twist, the real enemies are the trees, so kill the plants before they kill you!

So, did The Happening succeed? As a paranoid drama thriller, no. But as a hilarious comedy filled with unintentionally laugh out loud moments, yes. From the bad acting, dialogues that make no sense and the direction from M. Night Shyamalan, this movie ends up being stupid yet memorable. The concept is all wrong, but so wrong it becomes so right to the guts.

It is horribly performed by Deschanel and Wahlberg with bad lines and a worthless premise including science vs. supernatural. There are plenty of unexplainable things that happened, but in the end, it does not set out what it does - a movie about plants taking over the world.

VERDICT: The Happening is an unintentionally made comedy full of LOL moments and senseless dialogue, which is so bad it's so good to the guts.
dante_finnJun 28, 2014
It is so bad that you can watch it as a comedy. The plit was good...that was until you find the cause of this "epidemic" and performances are really bad that you laugh at them due to the awful screenplay. I thought that he would learn afterIt is so bad that you can watch it as a comedy. The plit was good...that was until you find the cause of this "epidemic" and performances are really bad that you laugh at them due to the awful screenplay. I thought that he would learn after Lady In The Water. Expand
eTurkeyFeb 24, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When Mark Wahlberg (who is playing a High School science teacher in this movie *begins to chuckle*) started having a conversation with a plastic plant and referenced a song he rapped about back when he was Marky Mark, I just about threw up in my mouth. I'm far from kidding. Seriously. The concept behind this "horror" film was somewhat savvy but was POORLY executed by director M. Night Shyamalan to a point where you honestly wouldn't be called crazy if thought this film was a comedy. Stay far away and watch something else! Expand
Patrick94Sep 22, 2013
Ugh, what a waste of time, not really a spoiler but it's basically a bunch of people killing themselves, and that's it. The whole mystery element gets lost when you realize that the answer is pretty simple and just downright boring. Not toUgh, what a waste of time, not really a spoiler but it's basically a bunch of people killing themselves, and that's it. The whole mystery element gets lost when you realize that the answer is pretty simple and just downright boring. Not to mention the seriously bad acting, although I suppose you could blame that on the 5 year-old that wrote the script, I mean seriously, in some situations I was expecting the actors to just burst out laughing, and at some points it looked like Zooey Deschanel really, reeeeaaallyyy, REEEEEEAAAALLLLLYYY wanted to, and I honestly can't blame her. It was like all the actors involved sort of gave up half-way through probably thinking to themselves "well, this piece of junk movie isn't going to sell itself on it's story, hopefully our lackluster acting will convince people to want to watch it just for ****s and giggles" Expand
MetalMan95Oct 26, 2010
Shyamalan, what happened? This movie had a great concept, great actors, and decent plot. But the execution is so unintentionally flawed. These actors weren't even trying. You can tell from Mark Wahlberg's infamous "What? No!" TheShyamalan, what happened? This movie had a great concept, great actors, and decent plot. But the execution is so unintentionally flawed. These actors weren't even trying. You can tell from Mark Wahlberg's infamous "What? No!" The what-was-supposed-to-be scariest scene had me bored to tears and wasn't scary. There was only one scene that disturbed me a bit, but now i can watch it without being disturbed. This isn't even a fun movie, joyless, and serious. You can find this movie fun, if you find it unintentionally funny, as most people do. If you find this movie enjoyable and scary, then hooray for you, you don't mind the flaws. I try to give Shyamalan some slack, he's in a rut, but this movie is an embarrassment to his career. Expand
BoogeeFilmGuyJul 15, 2015
M. Night is at it again bringing us a... really bad movie. However, its a great party movie that your friends and you can laugh all night at. But if you're looking for a movie to analyse, this probably isn't the one to watch.
BigZOct 13, 2014
I understand that Shyamalan can have a very particular style and specific angles he wants to define. That being said, this movie, while having interesting ideas tossed around, finished with nothing but gore and jibberish for acting. I can seeI understand that Shyamalan can have a very particular style and specific angles he wants to define. That being said, this movie, while having interesting ideas tossed around, finished with nothing but gore and jibberish for acting. I can see that the approach is that maybe plants have the capacity to effect the human brain and its processing. So due to that it makes everyone's interactions with each other just odd and confusing. In that sense, the performances were not that bad. But that doesn't make it an entertaining experience. This is disappointing because I know there was a lot of wasted talent and ability here. It is an interesting idea to think the planet could get defensive against humans in that way but in the end I think Shyamalan tried too hard. There were a lot of positive elements that were in the wrong places. The genre wasn't really all that clear either. Pretty graphic and gruesome, while being light and humorously sarcastic almost...I mean what is going on? I am confident there was a well defined point in the director's mind but how it was relayed and delivered was too cryptic. Its just like, what are you trying to say here? Because whatever it is, its not getting across. There was no emotional time to connect to any of the characters and relate to them, there was no self involvement in the struggle. Whatever the struggle was exactly... Definitely a dip in Night's consistency in movie making. Expand
raporgiJan 13, 2016
if you think of this movie as a comedy it works. From the ridiculous premise to the awful all kinds of horrid dialog, to the c-grade acting, this stinker will have you laughing at its "serious" moments. Wahlberg is miscast as perhaps theif you think of this movie as a comedy it works. From the ridiculous premise to the awful all kinds of horrid dialog, to the c-grade acting, this stinker will have you laughing at its "serious" moments. Wahlberg is miscast as perhaps the dumbest movie science teacher this decade while Deschanel delivers line after line of horsemanure dialog with an amusing look of mock self-awareness and disbelief that she's actually being paid to act in this turkey. Just pirate and dont pay for this. Expand
JAM123Aug 23, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was not very good. I enjoyed few parts but the plot line was terrible and the acting sucked. Mark Wahlberg is not one of my favorite actors but I was surprised about Zooey Deschanel. I usually enjoy her acting but in this movie she was just horrible. The whole thing was horrible! The whole plants having a conscious and that it reacts to human stimulus or whatever. It was stupid. I had thought when I went to see this it would be good, but I was wrong. M. Night Shyamalan just doesn't have the touch that he had in his older work (Sixth Sense, Unbreakable). Now with Devil out too, I'm only thinking to myself, "when will he stop." All his movies are now is just incredibly horrible storylines with stupid and effortless twists, like in this movie. This stupid end of the world action drama had no storyline terrible twist and is a waste of time and money and I do not think you should see it. Also to M. Night Shyamalan, STOP!!!! Expand
muzzikloverMar 27, 2012
One of the funniest bad movies I have ever seen and in my opinion, it's up there with The Room. This film is just dumb, dumb, dumb. The premise, plot and its logic don't make any sense, the concept and execution of the neurotoxin or plant orOne of the funniest bad movies I have ever seen and in my opinion, it's up there with The Room. This film is just dumb, dumb, dumb. The premise, plot and its logic don't make any sense, the concept and execution of the neurotoxin or plant or whatever it is that makes people commit suicide is laughably bad, the actors are dull and boring and it's not scary at all. In fact, it's absolutely hilarious. If you don't take this film seriously , you might get many hilarities when there's a really dumb or over the top moment. In a broader prospective, it's Shyamalan at his usual worst. A very stupid film. Expand
InlikeflynnJun 7, 2014
This movie is impressively bad!

This movie is impressively bad!

Is so bad that it becomes one of the must funny movies you can ever see; How is it that plants become such a hazard to humanity? is not even well explained, how do you run from the wind? that's impossible, why is the acting so awkward? I know the cast is talented but they were you just have fun to laugh. The director of this movie is a legend among filmmakers for starting on the top and then go way down bellow... The writing is horrible, the characters are dumb, the plot is funny and the directing is just idiotic...

I cannot believe that this is the same men who directed "The Sixth Sense", he is now a laughing stock and maybe he deserves this new heat... maybe one day he will come around but until then this will always be his worst movie...
intruder313May 3, 2012
The downward slope, which I suspect is deliberate, continues: yes it's even worse than Signs. Thankfully there's no "twist" this time unless you the twist is that every element of the film is terrible, the awful plot is revealed very early onThe downward slope, which I suspect is deliberate, continues: yes it's even worse than Signs. Thankfully there's no "twist" this time unless you the twist is that every element of the film is terrible, the awful plot is revealed very early on and then really does continue as the actual plot long after you've stopped laughing at it. Expand
SebastianRRJun 4, 2013
Buen inicio y buen cierre, lo demás, buena trama aunque ciertamente añadir a ese anciana antipática a mitad de la nada no me pareció un buen toque y ademas que porque si la anomalía se fuera tampoco.
TheCoolGuy99Dec 20, 2013
M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening" would rather be a nonsense science fiction film with no clues to the problem itself. It's direction of camera filming was a shaky performance and the characters in the film was not mere fully fit forM. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening" would rather be a nonsense science fiction film with no clues to the problem itself. It's direction of camera filming was a shaky performance and the characters in the film was not mere fully fit for filmography career, but as of the film's thrilling scenes and eerie to scary sounds, it can be considered an okay film.

The story mainly focuses on the problem only not on the scale of the plot. The plot sequence was feeling randomly assessed. This film was too bad for Shyamalan's popularity on directing on some of his best critically acclaimed films like The Sixth Sense (1999).

Rating 5 10
sLmSep 30, 2012
I don't get why so many bad critics xD the movie was good! No special effects needed, just nature to scary us. And also there were funny moments followed by creepy ones. It was definitely NOT a bad movie.
ApocalypseGamerNov 5, 2011
This became a dull film with a really bad plot, and confusing - but Wahlberg's performance was a little So and So with his character in The Happening. This film isn't what you might expect for a disaster film. It's a confusing film (forThis became a dull film with a really bad plot, and confusing - but Wahlberg's performance was a little So and So with his character in The Happening. This film isn't what you might expect for a disaster film. It's a confusing film (for understanding what the film is about), and I think it wasn't showing any suspense or thrills in this sci-fi film. Expand
OxcartMay 5, 2013
There was a time when the name M Night Shyamalan was effectively a synonym for the new generation of writing: plots that could turn on a dime, characters that were interesting, and generally movies that could be counted on to be interestingThere was a time when the name M Night Shyamalan was effectively a synonym for the new generation of writing: plots that could turn on a dime, characters that were interesting, and generally movies that could be counted on to be interesting and a good use of your time. Well, that era appears to be over. So let's run down The Happening. On its positive side (and there is a considerable positive side), it is a unique execution of an uncommon premise: the environment has turned on us. But unlike most previous versions of the plot, this isn't about animals rising up en masse against us (whoops, sorry James Patterson...but Zoo was a real piece of cheese), but rather nature subliminally convincing us to do the dirty work for it. So, neat twist on a not-new idea. Unfortunately, though, Shyamalan's "new approach" completely wrecks what could, should have been an outstanding movie. Remember that in all of great works...and Shyamalan's early stuff...that they held to a basic maxim: tension is built most by not letting the audience see. Keep them guessing and off-balance. knew it, and Signs did it, too. (So did The Village, but a little less so.) The Happening? Total screwup. Where the camera should cut away, it doesn't. Shyamalan completely jettisoned any hope of creating an atmosphere that keeps the audience off balance. Instead, the film goes for splatter-gore shock value, and it goes way over the top. Where there used to be finesse in these films, all that is present in The Happening is the most pedestrian, hamfisted attempt to rattle the audience. What should have been a shocking nature-doesn't-like-us film ended up being Maximum Overdrive with trees. The sad part is that the plot had some actual ability to work; it didn't have to be a self-parody, but the absolutely classless, talentless writing doomed it. Characters were wooden and unconvincing, but NOT because Mark Wahlberg or Zooey Deschanel did a poor job; they did well with what they were given. The problem is that they were given drivel. Wahlberg was, well, Wahlberg. He really doesn't have a lot of gears as an actor, but he is dependable. Deschanel turned in a surprisingly touching and believable performance which was quite out of place in this pile of junk. (Allow me to clarify: the surprise was not that Zooey Deschanel could turn in such a performance; we know she can. What's surprising is that she was able to do that with this bucket of sludge script.) So, frankly, when you get right down to it, you do not watch The Happening because you want a cerebral, atmospheric thriller. You watch it because...well, frankly, I can't think of a reason to watch it deliberately. Maybe if you're a fan of splatter-horror. But for everybody else, there are much better things to watch. Much better. A sorely disappointed 2 out of 10 for the total misfire that was The Happening. Expand
AvgassFeb 22, 2015
A movie called "The Happening" in which nothing really happens. Somehow the direction made class leading actors appear totally void of talent. For once the critics seem to have scored this more appropriately than the users. The longer M.A movie called "The Happening" in which nothing really happens. Somehow the direction made class leading actors appear totally void of talent. For once the critics seem to have scored this more appropriately than the users. The longer M. Night Shyamalan makes movies the worse he gets. Only redeeming feature is some unintentionally hilarious suicide scenes. One of the worst films I have sat all the way through. Dreadful waste of time. Avoid at all costs Expand
oringetoeJul 15, 2013
This review contains no spoilers, ironic really considering it was a waste of time and money and spoiled my day. People in the film start killing themselves for no apparent reason, probably after finding out who the director was. Very littleThis review contains no spoilers, ironic really considering it was a waste of time and money and spoiled my day. People in the film start killing themselves for no apparent reason, probably after finding out who the director was. Very little Happens, which Happened to be the films only redeeming feature. If less and less had Happened, way back until what may Happen was merely a possibility of it Happening until finally there was no chance of it Happening I would have had a better day, something I like might have happened. Expand
BengalsfanAZNov 8, 2012
This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The plot, once you figure it out, is so stupid you will not believe that someone actually approved this to be made into a movie. The movie moves along at a droning pace, just like most M.This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The plot, once you figure it out, is so stupid you will not believe that someone actually approved this to be made into a movie. The movie moves along at a droning pace, just like most M. Night Shyamalan movies. Usually, this is acceptable to me because the payoff is worth it, like The Sixth Sense. In this case I was painfully bored until I figured out the ridiculous plot twist and by that time I was ready to call it quits.

Mark Wahlburg is generally an okay actor but in this film I think even he realizes how stupid it is and just gave up. The rest of the acting doesn't really matter because you will have lost interest long before judging it.

The only reason I even gave this movie a 1 is because I actually endured it till the end, otherwise it would have been a 0. You will miss nothing by not seeing this movie, except for the regrets of wishing you had not wasted 2 hours of your life on it.
skuz440Nov 18, 2010
Some people on here have an agenda. They are strictly trying to ruin Mr. Shyamalan's career with negative reviews any which way. I saw Lady in the Water. Yeah, it was weird and I wasn't impressed. But The Happening? I watched it yesterdaySome people on here have an agenda. They are strictly trying to ruin Mr. Shyamalan's career with negative reviews any which way. I saw Lady in the Water. Yeah, it was weird and I wasn't impressed. But The Happening? I watched it yesterday expecting the worst, after reading all the bad press surrounding it I thought it would be an absolute disaster. 90 minutes later I walked away feeling I have just watched a very original and thoughtful movie. Mark Wahlberg and the ever beautiful Zooey Deschanel act their way through this strange premise and it's not bad at all. I've seen much worse movies that weren't thrashed nearly as badly. I say watch it and see for yourself. It's by far not your typical script and the story weaves in an uneasy way. Good job Mr. Shyamalan!! Expand
Mellow_Online4Mar 22, 2016
I've finally started to do movie reviews, which I've wanted to do for quite some time. I decided to start off with in my opinion one of the worst but at the same time one of the best movies I've ever sat through, The Happening.

I only need

I only need to say the name of one man and you know how bad/good this movie is "M. Night Shyamalan." Anyone who's ever sat through at least one of this director's films know that he is famous for making good actors turn in horrible performances and it carries on over with the happening as none of the actors seem to be acting normal at all but easily the most entertaining is our main star, Mark Wahlberg. Like Shyamolon, if anyone has seen any movies with Wahlberg in it know how good he is as Wahlberg always seems to turn in brilliant performances, but the Happening is his exception. He seems to deliver his lines in this weird over emphasised tone. Now at first I didn't really think much of it in the first few scenes he was in as I saw he was playing a teacher so I was thinking teachers usually need to speak like this when they address their pupils but as I saw the movie go on, I realise that this is his whole performance. Zooey Deschannel is probably worse than Wahlberg's. Her delivery is about as equally bad but the thing that seems to put her that extra step in front of Wahlberg on the bad acting scale is her facial expressions. She seems to widen her eyes in a lot of the shots, some of them when it's even unnecessary to do it. Everyone else basically delivers the same sort of acting you would expect in a Shyamolon movie.

It's also really lazily written, particularly the script. It's hard to describe how lazily written the script is so what I'm going to do instead is quote a few of the lines from the movie.

"You like hot dogs right?" "Cheese and crackers!" Keep in mind that this is a sort of post-apocalyptic movie and there are just some random lines that are put in this movie about food for some reason.

"All we have left is cough syrup" "Look I don't know if you guys have read an article in the New York Times about honey bees vanishing." I think that should be enough to tell you that the happening is a really bad movie. When I was going into this movie, I was expecting some sort of "the triffids" esque movie, but I just got a poorly directed, badly written, horribly acted post-apocalyptic drama. Avoid this.
Mellow_Online2Feb 11, 2016
I’ve finally started to do movie reviews, which I’ve wanted to do for quite some time. I decided to start off with in my opinion one of the worst but at the same time one of the best movies I’ve ever sat through, The Happening.

I only need

I only need to say the name of one man and you know how bad/good this movie is “M. Night Shyamalan.” Anyone who’s ever sat through at least one of this director’s films know that he is famous for making good actors turn in horrible performances and it carries on over with the happening as none of the actors seem to be acting normal at all but easily the most entertaining is our main star, Mark Wahlberg. Like Shyamolon, if anyone has seen any movies with Wahlberg in it know how good he is as Wahlberg always seems to turn in brilliant performances, but the Happening is his exception. He seems to deliver his lines in this weird over emphasized tone. Now at first I didn’t really think much of it in the first few scenes he was in as I saw he was playing a teacher so I was thinking teachers usually need to speak like this when they address their pupils but as I saw the movie go on, I realise that this is his whole performance. Zooey Deschannel is probably worse than Wahlberg’s. Her delivery is about as equally bad but the thing that seems to put her that extra step in front of Wahlberg on the bad acting scale is her facial expressions. She seems to widen her eyes in a lot of the shots, some of them when it’s even unnecessary to do it. Everyone else basically delivers the same sort of acting you would expect in a Shyamolon movie.

It’s also really lazily written, particularly the script. It’s hard to describe how lazily written the script is so what I’m going to do instead is quote a few of the lines from the movie.

“You like hot dogs right?”

“Cheese and crackers!”

“All we have left is cough syrup”

“Look I don’t know if you guys have read an article in the New York Times about honey bees

vanishing.”

I think that should be enough to tell you that the happening is a really bad movie. When I was going into this movie, I was expecting some sort of “the triffids” esque movie, but I just got a poorly directed, badly written, horribly acted post-apocalyptic drama. Avoid this.
MitchA.Oct 28, 2008
Without a doubt one of the worst films i have ever seen. How M. Night Shyamalan could get something so wrong after getting other films so right is outragous. AVOID
EricJ.Jun 20, 2008
It's not so horrible that you'll run out of the theater, but you'll at least consider walking about half-way through. It's main weakness seems to be Mr. Wahlberg, who seems to only have one mood throughout the entire It's not so horrible that you'll run out of the theater, but you'll at least consider walking about half-way through. It's main weakness seems to be Mr. Wahlberg, who seems to only have one mood throughout the entire film. Otherwise, it's just a chase movie between running people and inanimate objects. Expand
DamianB.B.Jul 7, 2008
I like movies like this, specially for being created by one man's mind. It has a message but only if you have an open mind you'll catch it.
DippyS.Oct 5, 2008
No more time in this world should be wasted on this film
RicoR.Jun 14, 2008
He is a pathetic human being who (now) lacks talent and should be sued and placed in jail for defrauding hard working viewers of their $10.00. He is truly a pathetic human being and a bad person for duping us out of our money with this banal He is a pathetic human being who (now) lacks talent and should be sued and placed in jail for defrauding hard working viewers of their $10.00. He is truly a pathetic human being and a bad person for duping us out of our money with this banal movie about nothing. I have no respect for him as a human being and won't ever mention his name or support his work again. I hope he goes bankrupt and his poor storytelling ends forever! Expand
[Anonymous]Jun 14, 2008
If you're going to see an M. Night Shyamalan movie, you're going to be disappointed. This isn't a good movie at all really. What it is is a cheesy horror flick with a budget. The music and cinematography is great, but the mood If you're going to see an M. Night Shyamalan movie, you're going to be disappointed. This isn't a good movie at all really. What it is is a cheesy horror flick with a budget. The music and cinematography is great, but the mood is sort of ruined as a whole. If you go into this movie, expecting to crack jokes and laugh, then you'll have a slightly better time. I honestly think if the focus was more on the story, and less on the shock, it could've been better. This is coming from a long time fan, I enjoyed all of Shyamalan's previous works, including Lady in the Water, but The Happening was legitimately bad. I won't hold this against him, though; even the best film makers have made a bad decision, and I still regard him as one of the best film makers of our time. He should just stay away from B-horror movies in the future. Expand
CharlesJun 14, 2008
I'm actually angry that I contributed to this weekend's box office gross for this film.
JamesS.Jun 14, 2008
I saw this movie before reading the reviews and liked it, but so far I have liked all of M. Nights movies. if you liked lady in the water you'll like the happening, movie critics just like writing negative movie reviews, just read some I saw this movie before reading the reviews and liked it, but so far I have liked all of M. Nights movies. if you liked lady in the water you'll like the happening, movie critics just like writing negative movie reviews, just read some of the reviews on transformers, and you'll see what I mean. Expand
NicholasB.Jun 15, 2008
The happening? What actually happens? Not much. Marc Wahlberg is truly appalling- much like his cop role in Boogie Nights. This 90 minutes seemed along, long time.
DaveP.Jun 16, 2008
I never take the time to rate movies bbut this one is an exception. Without a doubt this is the worst movie I have ever seen in a theatre, and possibly the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. And yes, I saw Gigli, I saw Battlefield I never take the time to rate movies bbut this one is an exception. Without a doubt this is the worst movie I have ever seen in a theatre, and possibly the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. And yes, I saw Gigli, I saw Battlefield earth and several other awful pices of filmaking and this trumps them all. Worst plot of any movie I have ever seen. I was laughing the entire movie it was so bad. The acting was also just terrible. I don't know how Mark Walhber accepted to be in this. M. Night Shamalany (or howveer you spell his name) should never be aloud to make a movie again in his entire life. I feel cheated just for wasting two hours and $10 or my life. Excuse me while I go throw up. Expand
SoleiS.Jun 18, 2008
ME CARES this movie !!, because I found it interesting and important for the age of our world, were you able to see the cinematography?, the art direction?, the smart of the script?, did you hear the wonderful music by the composer James ME CARES this movie !!, because I found it interesting and important for the age of our world, were you able to see the cinematography?, the art direction?, the smart of the script?, did you hear the wonderful music by the composer James Newton Howard?, pay attention and you will find art, but maybe many of you just go to the teathers to eat pop corn. Expand
IonA.Jun 19, 2008
Worst movie i have ever seen. I almost fell asleep.
AramisG.Jun 21, 2008
I went in with very low expectations and every one of them was met with this boring film. This isn't a responsible time to be making puesdo science environmentalist movies.
BrianH.B.Jun 20, 2008
Always creative, with a mind full of original ideas, those who attack him don't lose any of his movies before get released at theatres. For me is pretty good.
DianeK.Jun 27, 2008
Another misunderstood movie, that works perfectly for who search more originality.
PaulB.Jun 30, 2008
This movie is good and it has born to kill all the bad movies of horror or suspense this year.
Shippoo!Jul 1, 2008
Well done, well directed, this is the kind of movies I enjoy, sorry for others...you all can cry, an idea!, ask your money back, I will see it again.
DavidB.Jul 1, 2008
Better is going to see movies with no expectations, so you don't lose the ability of get surprised. Relax and see more...hear more, find the details.
JadeT.Jul 29, 2008
Not so bad, not so good !, but the rates of critics are not fair, for me Shyamalan's movies are full of originality.
PaigeC.Jul 30, 2008
The only thing that bothered me in this film was the amount of comic relief. There was too much and make the movie more of a comical movie than anything else. It did have good moments of suspence and I did jump however.
AnnaMJul 4, 2008
I am surprised by all the horrible reviews. I'll admit, there was some bad acting, but overall, I loved this movie. I though the premise was timely and I enjoyed the suspense. If you like movies about escape and survival, you like this I am surprised by all the horrible reviews. I'll admit, there was some bad acting, but overall, I loved this movie. I though the premise was timely and I enjoyed the suspense. If you like movies about escape and survival, you like this one. I felt it was thought provoking and a lot of fun to watch. I'm sorry critics are being so harsh and I think it's unjustified. I'm not sure why Shamalyan is getting so badly skewered here. It does not make sense to me. See it and decide for yourselves. Expand
JerryS.Jul 6, 2008
I rather pay for this than pay for other hero doing tha same.
1 of 2 users found this helpful
DiegoL.Jul 6, 2008
Really weak movie, interesting idea poorly developed with bad dialogues and bad acting. What a disappointment!
JamesP.Jul 8, 2008
It is good, like birds of Hitchcock, yes! in a similar way, you can compare them. Maybe both are bad for you, for me are good enough.
ThiagoT.Aug 25, 2008
This movie is horrible. M. Night Shyamalan had good dreams and put it on the screen, after this one its proven how fucking luck and of course, immature he is as director. Zooey Deschanel didn't how what a hell she was doing in the This movie is horrible. M. Night Shyamalan had good dreams and put it on the screen, after this one its proven how fucking luck and of course, immature he is as director. Zooey Deschanel didn't how what a hell she was doing in the entire film, that was kinda fun. Expand
JoeU.Aug 4, 2008
I think the movie was enjoyable, but, i did not like the script, i think it was lazy, not well worked, amateur. I also think Shyamalan tried to do something new but it didnt work either.
SteveSJan 7, 2009
Just awful. Defies logic at many turns. Wahlberg's and performance is leaden. Zooey Deschanel spends the movie staring gap mouthed at the screen. If you want to watch a bad film to laugh at, there are better bad flicks out there.
SameerS.Jul 9, 2009
I am a Shymalan Fan. But all of his movies do require one to see what was the thought behind the project. shyamalan is eeriely positive person. This is evident in 6th sense when the spirit redeems itself by helping the boy, unbreakable where I am a Shymalan Fan. But all of his movies do require one to see what was the thought behind the project. shyamalan is eeriely positive person. This is evident in 6th sense when the spirit redeems itself by helping the boy, unbreakable where Bruce is the positive force, Village where love wins, Lady in water where there is happy ending, signs where gibson returns back to faith and happening where love and belief wins over odds. I loved the happening movie He is brilliant where he leaves the audience thinking pondering and hungry for his next creation. His movies are 3D where the third dimension is thought. Expand
IsaacCJan 3, 2010
Finally Score = Planet 1, Humans 0, I see Genius where humans took a back seat and you can tell by these ignorant reviews how lost we really are and sensitive to the possibility of nature being sensitive and defensive too. Truly a Finally Score = Planet 1, Humans 0, I see Genius where humans took a back seat and you can tell by these ignorant reviews how lost we really are and sensitive to the possibility of nature being sensitive and defensive too. Truly a masterpiece and respects to all participants in down playing humans and upscaling the breathing breeze. Expand
6 of 9 users found this helpful
AndrewD.Nov 2, 2008
Suprisingly creepy with a definite ecocide-in-reverse theme. The disdain with which bloggers treat M Nights films is a worry. No mainstream pulp director has ever received such scorn. Each and every film stimulated me intellectually and Suprisingly creepy with a definite ecocide-in-reverse theme. The disdain with which bloggers treat M Nights films is a worry. No mainstream pulp director has ever received such scorn. Each and every film stimulated me intellectually and cinematically. In 20 years his films will be remembered and revisited again and again. Then witness the volte-face of the contempary critics who found his works to be egotistical. Methinks you do protest too much. Expand
JayH.Oct 1, 2008
Ahhhh, M Night Shyamalan. Mr. pretentious. And he does nearly kill what could have been a much better film. But I like this one better than his last string of stinkers. Mark Wahlberg is a big plus, it is well acted. Shyamalan needs to get Ahhhh, M Night Shyamalan. Mr. pretentious. And he does nearly kill what could have been a much better film. But I like this one better than his last string of stinkers. Mark Wahlberg is a big plus, it is well acted. Shyamalan needs to get off his high horse. Expand
JohanF.Oct 18, 2008
I think this is a great movie!!! It just have to been seen! Dont listen to the 0 and 1 votes. If you dont watch this movie you have missed something!!!
MeghanOct 18, 2008
The previews looked excellent and the premise appeared interesting, but the movie itself was a flop. I was severely disappointed because the idea behind the movie could have made an incredible movie; it just wasn't served to the The previews looked excellent and the premise appeared interesting, but the movie itself was a flop. I was severely disappointed because the idea behind the movie could have made an incredible movie; it just wasn't served to the audience in a palatable fashion. The acting was literally laughable, as well as the script- a total cheez-factory. Idiosyncratic characters, such as the military guy on the road and the old woman who housed them in the end, seemed to be "weird" for no reason at all. I was sitting there wondering what was up with them, and it turned out that their personalities/behaviors served no purpose at all. I think M. Night Shyamalan wrapped himself up too tightly in concept (style) in this movie, and therefore failed to tell the story effectively. He is lost in his own artistry, but this is nothing new for his movies. Avoid this movie, and I encourage you to rewrite it yourself--- you could definitely do much better than this guy. Expand
JamieTOct 31, 2008
Possibly the worst movie I haver ever seen. It replaces his previous movie, Lady in the Water. I was hoping Night was going to get back to making good movies like Sixth Sense, Signs and Unbreakable but instead this retchid movie happened. Possibly the worst movie I haver ever seen. It replaces his previous movie, Lady in the Water. I was hoping Night was going to get back to making good movies like Sixth Sense, Signs and Unbreakable but instead this retchid movie happened. Did I feel drawn into the movie? Possibly - yes! I too had an overwhelming urge to stick something sharp into my neck while trying to digest this absolute howler! Expand
RichardR.Oct 31, 2008
A decent germ of an idea has been turned into a boring film with talk, talk, talk. What awful writing. Come on, Night. You know you can do better -- don't you?
DanM.Oct 7, 2008
This has to be the worst movie I've ever seen....terrible acting, zero plot, and a god-awful storyline. The Happening = FAIL.
AlexB.Oct 8, 2008
Laughable at best and overly pretentious. Avoid this movie at all costs.
BillBOct 9, 2008
I laughed so hard while watching this movie, not because it was supposed to be funny, but because it was so badly done. How can Shyamalan not realize that the dialogue, story content, and acting was absolutely terrible? Mark Wahlberg was I laughed so hard while watching this movie, not because it was supposed to be funny, but because it was so badly done. How can Shyamalan not realize that the dialogue, story content, and acting was absolutely terrible? Mark Wahlberg was worse than an 8th grader in a school play and Deschanel was more like a 6th grader. This movie played out like a stupid comedy, even though you could tell that it was 100% serious. Avoid The Happening unless you are a connoisseur of offal movies or you think that M. Night Shyamalan is a good director! Expand
EvanO.Jun 12, 2008
M. Night Shymalan's best movie since the Sixth Sense. Visually horrifying and psychologically thrilling. Will leave you thinking for a while afterwards.
AaronA.Jun 13, 2008
Poor acting, poor writing, poor production overall.
CRJun 13, 2008
A decent B grade movie which stays true to its genre.If you go with low expectations you will be entertained.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
vidmanJun 14, 2008
The movie is thrilling and thought provoking, but it builds up to nothing but speculation.
ColbySJun 14, 2008
Oh, come on, critics. I consider myself pretty tasteful when it comes to movies, and this was definitely not the clunker it was cracked up to be. On par with Signs or The Sixth Sense? No. But I think what happened here is the equivalent of Oh, come on, critics. I consider myself pretty tasteful when it comes to movies, and this was definitely not the clunker it was cracked up to be. On par with Signs or The Sixth Sense? No. But I think what happened here is the equivalent of what happens in so many elementary schools worldwide: picking on an easy target simply because of the ease of the target. In this case, the target is Shyamalan, who has made a few bombs the past couple of years. Not high art, but it scared me a few times and left me entertained. Solid. Expand
ChadS.Jun 14, 2008
Say what you will about "The Village" and "The Lady in the Water", the former- an allegory about the scare tactics of Homeland Security, and the latter- a contemporary fairy tale set in the city, as being dippy, pedantic, and somewhat Say what you will about "The Village" and "The Lady in the Water", the former- an allegory about the scare tactics of Homeland Security, and the latter- a contemporary fairy tale set in the city, as being dippy, pedantic, and somewhat sanctimonious; neither film, however, could be accused of being uninspired. The filmmaker took chances. Critics and audiences alike, ridiculed him for it. Now comes "The Happening", a film so shockingly formulaic, one is tempted to call this melding of "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and the Sparks' song "Don't Turn Your Back on Mother Earth"(made popular by Depeche Mode), a piece of confrontational art. For the first time, the filmmaker acknowledges, in a very cynical fashion, that the American moviegoing public have reduced attention spans with a preference for spectacle over narrative. The filmmaker purposely made a dumb movie because he thinks that movie audiences were too ignorant to get his last two pictures. That's why the dialogue is worse than perfunctory, it's practically post-literate. "The Happening" plays like an episode of "The Twilight Zone" directed by Ed Wood. Mark Wahlberg is off his game. Zooey Deschanel is off her game. There's very little indication that either actor received much instruction from their director. Wahlberg, in particular, is terrible; his character, sort of imbecilic. Elliot doesn't want to be alone, but being with Alma(Deschanel) means risking exposure to the aerial spores(or whatever), therefore killing her. A child is with them. Maybe the filmmaker is going for the child-killing trifecta. Expand
SteveF.Jun 14, 2008
I really liked this movie. It might not have the wam bam of a twist that Sixth sense had but I really enjoyed the characters and the overall acting and story. I know that most critics are saying bad stuff about it but I just don't I really liked this movie. It might not have the wam bam of a twist that Sixth sense had but I really enjoyed the characters and the overall acting and story. I know that most critics are saying bad stuff about it but I just don't listen to people and have always judged movies after I have viewed them Expand
IzzyN.Jun 15, 2008
Greatly disappointed in the manner of how a seemingly talented M. Night turned an entertainment film into a scare mongering, fear driven story about how WE AS PEOPLE are ruining the earth. If you see this movie, and fail to grasp this Greatly disappointed in the manner of how a seemingly talented M. Night turned an entertainment film into a scare mongering, fear driven story about how WE AS PEOPLE are ruining the earth. If you see this movie, and fail to grasp this inherent concept behind the plot, it is either because M. Night presented it in a backhanded fearful manner meant to scare you OR you just fall right into the group of people who believe exactly what is preached to you by the "all-knowing" environmentalists that think they have the right to give you guilt trips and, in the process, control your life. The message in the plot - and the plot in general, for that matter - was poorly executed. But maybe it was done like that on purpose - because you are so immensely inundated with horrific images and growing fear that the main characters' lives are coming to an end. Yet amid all of these dramatizations (many of which are very "corny") is a definitive message about why these people are dying. On the surface, it appears that they are dying because "nature is unpredictable" and it will do the craziest things - INCLUDING to KILL human beings. Don't fall for this mediocre conclusion. REALIZE that this movie was just made by another HOLLYWOOD LIBERAL looking to influence your emotions and fears. M. Night crafted NATURE to kill all of these people because it is as if nature was getting back at them for all the evil things he believes we are doing to the planet. [If you are just another kooky lib watching this movie, loving it and completely agreeing with it, then I pity your lack of judgment to discern when you are being scammed. Just continue thinking that your stance is never wrong.] The film is injected with LIBERAL talking points, some of which only last for a second - but when compiled together, a very naive and unknowing person will continue to take the talking points in as truths, and just walk away thinking only that they wasted $10 of their money and close to 2 hours of their life. People - Educate yourselves about the ways in which this GLOBAL WARMING scare is just meant to scare you, make you feel guilty and then tell you how to live your life --- AND THIS IS ALL FROM [AN APPARENTLY DWINDLING] HOLLYWOOD FILM DIRECTOR THAT'S ABUSING THEIR ARTISTIC RESOURCES TO MAKE YOU DEPRESSED AND SCARED. Movies have continued and will continue to go down the drain - AND THIS MOVIE IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHY. We as people are not destroying the earth in the way it is implied. And for M. Night to equate a terrorism threat with the global warming scam, is pathetic (even from an artistic stance, it lacks any and all sense of creativity or entertainment that people seek when paying to see a movie). Do NOT pay to see this movie. Don't even pay to rent it when it comes out. And if by some lapse of rational judgment you decide to see it, do not be confused or scared - realize the movie for what it is. Move on with your life, Be happy & NEVER change anything about your life just because failing directors and environmentalists like this one tell you to. Expand
BMillerJun 15, 2008
There was once a time that "Directed by M Night Shyamalan" got me excited. Not now. Love him or hate him, he had a unique style and some impressive success early on. Namely:
ZackW.Jun 15, 2008
This was an terrible film. Not only was the entire audience laughing for half of the "horror" film, but it was booed at the ending. This was a late attempt for the writer/director to jump on the environmental bandwagon. This film was This was an terrible film. Not only was the entire audience laughing for half of the "horror" film, but it was booed at the ending. This was a late attempt for the writer/director to jump on the environmental bandwagon. This film was horrible. It left me with a feeling of.... hmm.... oh yeah, I want my money back! Expand
NigelN.Jun 16, 2008
M Night Shaymalan needs to go back to basics. His name has been sullied in Hollywood with a series of egotistical moves. This has made audiences and critics alike scrutinize his movies even more. A much better effort than Lady in the Water M Night Shaymalan needs to go back to basics. His name has been sullied in Hollywood with a series of egotistical moves. This has made audiences and critics alike scrutinize his movies even more. A much better effort than Lady in the Water but the main problem with this movie - WHO CARES? Expand
CalyM.Jun 16, 2008
It is not the best movie of Night S., is not the worse either, for me is good, I could understand everything, but who knows what is our destiny?, you can see that the meltdown of poles is a reality, the oceans goes up and up, I want to It is not the best movie of Night S., is not the worse either, for me is good, I could understand everything, but who knows what is our destiny?, you can see that the meltdown of poles is a reality, the oceans goes up and up, I want to resist to believe that this is happening. For me the movie talks about the green effect, is a warning, and I wanna thank Shyamalan for remember to all people around the world for taking care our planet, we dont have another. Expand
FredS.Jun 16, 2008
Started out good, but went to crap and stayed crappy for the rest of the movie.