5.7

1. AnnaM
    Jul 4, 2008
    I am surprised by all the horrible reviews. I'll admit, there was some bad acting, but overall, I loved this movie. I though the premise was timely and I enjoyed the suspense. If you like movies about escape and survival, you like this one. I felt it was thought provoking and a lot of fun to watch. I'm sorry critics are being so harsh and I think it's unjustified. I'm I am surprised by all the horrible reviews. I'll admit, there was some bad acting, but overall, I loved this movie. I though the premise was timely and I enjoyed the suspense. If you like movies about escape and survival, you like this one. I felt it was thought provoking and a lot of fun to watch. I'm sorry critics are being so harsh and I think it's unjustified. I'm not sure why Shamalyan is getting so badly skewered here. It does not make sense to me. See it and decide for yourselves. Expand
  2. EbenM.
    Jun 14, 2008
    I found The Happening to be much better than most of the reviews led me to believe. Solid performances from a good cast. Shyamalan creates a sense of dread from the very beginning that effectively builds through the first half of the film. Creepy scenes of death are punctuated by humorous touches throughout. An enjoyable homage to end-of-the-world B movies. Exactly what Shyamalan set out to make!
  3. Sep 21, 2012
    It may be no finer a horror film than other similar distinguished works, but it worked for me. The acting may have been a little off-par, but Shyamalan has produced something that is worth watching. The actors were well matched and the way events were anticipated through the wind in the trees and grass disturbed me thoroughly. Not only that, but the acts themselves alongside theIt may be no finer a horror film than other similar distinguished works, but it worked for me. The acting may have been a little off-par, but Shyamalan has produced something that is worth watching. The actors were well matched and the way events were anticipated through the wind in the trees and grass disturbed me thoroughly. Not only that, but the acts themselves alongside the atmospheric music almost scared the living daylights out of me. I think this film effectively posed a message towards the sceptics out there, of a growing problem that we need to face before it's too late, even if nobody else thought so. Expand
  4. IsaacC
    Jan 3, 2010
    Finally Score = Planet 1, Humans 0, I see Genius where humans took a back seat and you can tell by these ignorant reviews how lost we really are and sensitive to the possibility of nature being sensitive and defensive too. Truly a masterpiece and respects to all participants in down playing humans and upscaling the breathing breeze.
  5. sLm
    Sep 30, 2012
    I don't get why so many bad critics xD the movie was good! No special effects needed, just nature to scary us. And also there were funny moments followed by creepy ones. It was definitely NOT a bad movie.
  6. JerryS.
    Jul 6, 2008
    I rather pay for this than pay for other hero doing tha same.
  7. CR
    Jun 13, 2008
    A decent B grade movie which stays true to its genre.If you go with low expectations you will be entertained.
  8. KarthikP
    Jun 8, 2008
    A ferociously entertaining thriller with sympathetic characters, stunning set pieces and pulsating excitement. As viscerally compelling as smash-mouth filmmaking gets. It is brutal and almost exhaustingly terrifying, as any respectable zombie movie should be. It is also bracingly smart, both in its ideas and in its techniques.
  9. AlejandroH.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Apart from the noticeable terrible dialogue, 'The Happening' is somewhat disappointing. 40 minutes of goosebumps and suspense followed by almost an hour of boredom. And the surprise ending is that there is no surprise ending.
  10. Benjamin
    Jun 13, 2008
    Verry comparable to "lady in the water" No... I actually Loved that movie... his charcters are fresh to me... so much more real then reality.... but most people want the same old, same old.
  11. RyanC.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Much better than the bad ratings. Subtle, good message, and not a moment of dull.
  12. StanA.
    Jun 13, 2008
    I know some of the critics didn't like it, but I thought it was excellent. To each his own.
  13. Nov 18, 2010
    Some people on here have an agenda. They are strictly trying to ruin Mr. Shyamalan's career with negative reviews any which way. I saw Lady in the Water. Yeah, it was weird and I wasn't impressed. But The Happening? I watched it yesterday expecting the worst, after reading all the bad press surrounding it I thought it would be an absolute disaster. 90 minutes later I walked away feeling ISome people on here have an agenda. They are strictly trying to ruin Mr. Shyamalan's career with negative reviews any which way. I saw Lady in the Water. Yeah, it was weird and I wasn't impressed. But The Happening? I watched it yesterday expecting the worst, after reading all the bad press surrounding it I thought it would be an absolute disaster. 90 minutes later I walked away feeling I have just watched a very original and thoughtful movie. Mark Wahlberg and the ever beautiful Zooey Deschanel act their way through this strange premise and it's not bad at all. I've seen much worse movies that weren't thrashed nearly as badly. I say watch it and see for yourself. It's by far not your typical script and the story weaves in an uneasy way. Good job Mr. Shyamalan!! Expand
  14. DamianB.B.
    Jul 7, 2008
    I like movies like this, specially for being created by one man's mind. It has a message but only if you have an open mind you'll catch it.
  15. JamesS.
    Jun 14, 2008
    I saw this movie before reading the reviews and liked it, but so far I have liked all of M. Nights movies. if you liked lady in the water you'll like the happening, movie critics just like writing negative movie reviews, just read some of the reviews on transformers, and you'll see what I mean.
  16. SoleiS.
    Jun 18, 2008
    ME CARES this movie !!, because I found it interesting and important for the age of our world, were you able to see the cinematography?, the art direction?, the smart of the script?, did you hear the wonderful music by the composer James Newton Howard?, pay attention and you will find art, but maybe many of you just go to the teathers to eat pop corn.
  17. BrianH.B.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Always creative, with a mind full of original ideas, those who attack him don't lose any of his movies before get released at theatres. For me is pretty good.
  18. DianeK.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Another misunderstood movie, that works perfectly for who search more originality.
  19. PaulB.
    Jun 30, 2008
    This movie is good and it has born to kill all the bad movies of horror or suspense this year.
  20. Shippoo!
    Jul 1, 2008
    Well done, well directed, this is the kind of movies I enjoy, sorry for others...you all can cry, an idea!, ask your money back, I will see it again.
  21. DavidB.
    Jul 1, 2008
    Better is going to see movies with no expectations, so you don't lose the ability of get surprised. Relax and see more...hear more, find the details.
  22. JadeT.
    Jul 29, 2008
    Not so bad, not so good !, but the rates of critics are not fair, for me Shyamalan's movies are full of originality.
  23. JamesP.
    Jul 8, 2008
    It is good, like birds of Hitchcock, yes! in a similar way, you can compare them. Maybe both are bad for you, for me are good enough.
  24. SameerS.
    Jul 9, 2009
    I am a Shymalan Fan. But all of his movies do require one to see what was the thought behind the project. shyamalan is eeriely positive person. This is evident in 6th sense when the spirit redeems itself by helping the boy, unbreakable where Bruce is the positive force, Village where love wins, Lady in water where there is happy ending, signs where gibson returns back to faith and I am a Shymalan Fan. But all of his movies do require one to see what was the thought behind the project. shyamalan is eeriely positive person. This is evident in 6th sense when the spirit redeems itself by helping the boy, unbreakable where Bruce is the positive force, Village where love wins, Lady in water where there is happy ending, signs where gibson returns back to faith and happening where love and belief wins over odds. I loved the happening movie He is brilliant where he leaves the audience thinking pondering and hungry for his next creation. His movies are 3D where the third dimension is thought. Expand
  25. AndrewD.
    Nov 2, 2008
    Suprisingly creepy with a definite ecocide-in-reverse theme. The disdain with which bloggers treat M Nights films is a worry. No mainstream pulp director has ever received such scorn. Each and every film stimulated me intellectually and cinematically. In 20 years his films will be remembered and revisited again and again. Then witness the volte-face of the contempary critics who found his Suprisingly creepy with a definite ecocide-in-reverse theme. The disdain with which bloggers treat M Nights films is a worry. No mainstream pulp director has ever received such scorn. Each and every film stimulated me intellectually and cinematically. In 20 years his films will be remembered and revisited again and again. Then witness the volte-face of the contempary critics who found his works to be egotistical. Methinks you do protest too much. Expand
  26. JohanF.
    Oct 18, 2008
    I think this is a great movie!!! It just have to been seen! Dont listen to the 0 and 1 votes. If you dont watch this movie you have missed something!!!
  27. vidman
    Jun 14, 2008
    The movie is thrilling and thought provoking, but it builds up to nothing but speculation.
  28. ColbyS
    Jun 14, 2008
    Oh, come on, critics. I consider myself pretty tasteful when it comes to movies, and this was definitely not the clunker it was cracked up to be. On par with Signs or The Sixth Sense? No. But I think what happened here is the equivalent of what happens in so many elementary schools worldwide: picking on an easy target simply because of the ease of the target. In this case, the target is Oh, come on, critics. I consider myself pretty tasteful when it comes to movies, and this was definitely not the clunker it was cracked up to be. On par with Signs or The Sixth Sense? No. But I think what happened here is the equivalent of what happens in so many elementary schools worldwide: picking on an easy target simply because of the ease of the target. In this case, the target is Shyamalan, who has made a few bombs the past couple of years. Not high art, but it scared me a few times and left me entertained. Solid. Expand
  29. SteveF.
    Jun 14, 2008
    I really liked this movie. It might not have the wam bam of a twist that Sixth sense had but I really enjoyed the characters and the overall acting and story. I know that most critics are saying bad stuff about it but I just don't listen to people and have always judged movies after I have viewed them
  30. CalyM.
    Jun 16, 2008
    It is not the best movie of Night S., is not the worse either, for me is good, I could understand everything, but who knows what is our destiny?, you can see that the meltdown of poles is a reality, the oceans goes up and up, I want to resist to believe that this is happening. For me the movie talks about the green effect, is a warning, and I wanna thank Shyamalan for remember to all It is not the best movie of Night S., is not the worse either, for me is good, I could understand everything, but who knows what is our destiny?, you can see that the meltdown of poles is a reality, the oceans goes up and up, I want to resist to believe that this is happening. For me the movie talks about the green effect, is a warning, and I wanna thank Shyamalan for remember to all people around the world for taking care our planet, we dont have another. Expand

1. The movie seems more like a '50s science fiction film of extreme paranoia or an episode of "The Twilight Zone" that even at a swiftly paced 90 minutes feels padded.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    In short, this is a Shyamalan movie minus the bravado, the swagger; there are no audacious attempts to pull out the rug from under the audience, no ham-fisted lessons about the importance of religious belief or the power of storytelling.
    What a bunch of nonsense--effective nonsense, chilling nonsense, occasionally wrenching nonsense, but nonsense nonetheless.