5.8

1. DippyS.
    Oct 5, 2008
    No more time in this world should be wasted on this film
  2. RicoR.
    Jun 14, 2008
    He is a pathetic human being who (now) lacks talent and should be sued and placed in jail for defrauding hard working viewers of their $10.00. He is truly a pathetic human being and a bad person for duping us out of our money with this banal movie about nothing. I have no respect for him as a human being and won't ever mention his name or support his work again. I hope he goes He is a pathetic human being who (now) lacks talent and should be sued and placed in jail for defrauding hard working viewers of their $10.00. He is truly a pathetic human being and a bad person for duping us out of our money with this banal movie about nothing. I have no respect for him as a human being and won't ever mention his name or support his work again. I hope he goes bankrupt and his poor storytelling ends forever! Expand
    Jun 14, 2008
    If you're going to see an M. Night Shyamalan movie, you're going to be disappointed. This isn't a good movie at all really. What it is is a cheesy horror flick with a budget. The music and cinematography is great, but the mood is sort of ruined as a whole. If you go into this movie, expecting to crack jokes and laugh, then you'll have a slightly better time. I honestly If you're going to see an M. Night Shyamalan movie, you're going to be disappointed. This isn't a good movie at all really. What it is is a cheesy horror flick with a budget. The music and cinematography is great, but the mood is sort of ruined as a whole. If you go into this movie, expecting to crack jokes and laugh, then you'll have a slightly better time. I honestly think if the focus was more on the story, and less on the shock, it could've been better. This is coming from a long time fan, I enjoyed all of Shyamalan's previous works, including Lady in the Water, but The Happening was legitimately bad. I won't hold this against him, though; even the best film makers have made a bad decision, and I still regard him as one of the best film makers of our time. He should just stay away from B-horror movies in the future. Expand
  4. Charles
    Jun 14, 2008
    I'm actually angry that I contributed to this weekend's box office gross for this film.
  5. AnnaM
    Jul 4, 2008
    I am surprised by all the horrible reviews. I'll admit, there was some bad acting, but overall, I loved this movie. I though the premise was timely and I enjoyed the suspense. If you like movies about escape and survival, you like this one. I felt it was thought provoking and a lot of fun to watch. I'm sorry critics are being so harsh and I think it's unjustified. I'm I am surprised by all the horrible reviews. I'll admit, there was some bad acting, but overall, I loved this movie. I though the premise was timely and I enjoyed the suspense. If you like movies about escape and survival, you like this one. I felt it was thought provoking and a lot of fun to watch. I'm sorry critics are being so harsh and I think it's unjustified. I'm not sure why Shamalyan is getting so badly skewered here. It does not make sense to me. See it and decide for yourselves. Expand
  6. EbenM.
    Jun 14, 2008
    I found The Happening to be much better than most of the reviews led me to believe. Solid performances from a good cast. Shyamalan creates a sense of dread from the very beginning that effectively builds through the first half of the film. Creepy scenes of death are punctuated by humorous touches throughout. An enjoyable homage to end-of-the-world B movies. Exactly what Shyamalan set out to make!
  7. Mar 27, 2012
    One of the funniest bad movies I have ever seen and in my opinion, it's up there with The Room. This film is just dumb, dumb, dumb. The premise, plot and its logic don't make any sense, the concept and execution of the neurotoxin or plant or whatever it is that makes people commit suicide is laughably bad, the actors are dull and boring and it's not scary at all. In fact, it's absolutelyOne of the funniest bad movies I have ever seen and in my opinion, it's up there with The Room. This film is just dumb, dumb, dumb. The premise, plot and its logic don't make any sense, the concept and execution of the neurotoxin or plant or whatever it is that makes people commit suicide is laughably bad, the actors are dull and boring and it's not scary at all. In fact, it's absolutely hilarious. If you don't take this film seriously , you might get many hilarities when there's a really dumb or over the top moment. In a broader prospective, it's Shyamalan at his usual worst. A very stupid film. Expand
  8. Jul 7, 2011
    While this movie doe s pose an idea that could have been made into something interesting, M. Night Shyamalan fails to tell us a compelling story with characters that don t make you want to slit your wrists every time they open their mouth, or do anything. Mark Wahlbergs acting is horrible, the little girl acting was better. The suicide scenes become distasteful. The character actions areWhile this movie doe s pose an idea that could have been made into something interesting, M. Night Shyamalan fails to tell us a compelling story with characters that don t make you want to slit your wrists every time they open their mouth, or do anything. Mark Wahlbergs acting is horrible, the little girl acting was better. The suicide scenes become distasteful. The character actions are unbelievable to the circumstances. M. Night Shyamalans earlier work was good, this is not. Pass. Expand
  9. May 4, 2014
    Despite pulling off one or two tricky shots, "The Happening" is severely undone by its vastly distasteful screenplay, filled with implausibility, unforgivably strange characters, and painful dialogue.
  10. Oct 13, 2014
    I understand that Shyamalan can have a very particular style and specific angles he wants to define. That being said, this movie, while having interesting ideas tossed around, finished with nothing but gore and jibberish for acting. I can see that the approach is that maybe plants have the capacity to effect the human brain and its processing. So due to that it makes everyone'sI understand that Shyamalan can have a very particular style and specific angles he wants to define. That being said, this movie, while having interesting ideas tossed around, finished with nothing but gore and jibberish for acting. I can see that the approach is that maybe plants have the capacity to effect the human brain and its processing. So due to that it makes everyone's interactions with each other just odd and confusing. In that sense, the performances were not that bad. But that doesn't make it an entertaining experience. This is disappointing because I know there was a lot of wasted talent and ability here. It is an interesting idea to think the planet could get defensive against humans in that way but in the end I think Shyamalan tried too hard. There were a lot of positive elements that were in the wrong places. The genre wasn't really all that clear either. Pretty graphic and gruesome, while being light and humorously sarcastic almost...I mean what is going on? I am confident there was a well defined point in the director's mind but how it was relayed and delivered was too cryptic. Its just like, what are you trying to say here? Because whatever it is, its not getting across. There was no emotional time to connect to any of the characters and relate to them, there was no self involvement in the struggle. Whatever the struggle was exactly... Definitely a dip in Night's consistency in movie making. Expand
  11. Jul 15, 2015
    M. Night is at it again bringing us a... really bad movie. However, its a great party movie that your friends and you can laugh all night at. But if you're looking for a movie to analyse, this probably isn't the one to watch.
  12. IsaacC
    Jan 3, 2010
    Finally Score = Planet 1, Humans 0, I see Genius where humans took a back seat and you can tell by these ignorant reviews how lost we really are and sensitive to the possibility of nature being sensitive and defensive too. Truly a masterpiece and respects to all participants in down playing humans and upscaling the breathing breeze.
  13. JerryS.
    Jul 6, 2008
    I rather pay for this than pay for other hero doing tha same.
  14. Jan 20, 2013
    This is what you call a joke. Mark Wahlberg was absolutely terrible. The story was disgraceful. Bad cast, story feels long and drawn out for a 90 minute film. The Happening is just another flop from M Night
  15. sLm
    Sep 30, 2012
    I don't get why so many bad critics xD the movie was good! No special effects needed, just nature to scary us. And also there were funny moments followed by creepy ones. It was definitely NOT a bad movie.
  16. Feb 22, 2015
    A movie called "The Happening" in which nothing really happens. Somehow the direction made class leading actors appear totally void of talent. For once the critics seem to have scored this more appropriately than the users. The longer M. Night Shyamalan makes movies the worse he gets. Only redeeming feature is some unintentionally hilarious suicide scenes. One of the worst films I have satA movie called "The Happening" in which nothing really happens. Somehow the direction made class leading actors appear totally void of talent. For once the critics seem to have scored this more appropriately than the users. The longer M. Night Shyamalan makes movies the worse he gets. Only redeeming feature is some unintentionally hilarious suicide scenes. One of the worst films I have sat all the way through. Dreadful waste of time. Avoid at all costs Expand
  17. CR
    Jun 13, 2008
    A decent B grade movie which stays true to its genre.If you go with low expectations you will be entertained.
  18. KarthikP
    Jun 8, 2008
    A ferociously entertaining thriller with sympathetic characters, stunning set pieces and pulsating excitement. As viscerally compelling as smash-mouth filmmaking gets. It is brutal and almost exhaustingly terrifying, as any respectable zombie movie should be. It is also bracingly smart, both in its ideas and in its techniques.
  19. TylerG.
    Jun 13, 2008
    This movie is OK at best. It's decently fun to watch but most of the performances are just so down right terrible its hard to believe the amount of hype and marketing behind such a let down. M. Night better make a good film and make it fast.
  20. AlejandroH.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Apart from the noticeable terrible dialogue, 'The Happening' is somewhat disappointing. 40 minutes of goosebumps and suspense followed by almost an hour of boredom. And the surprise ending is that there is no surprise ending.
  21. MichaelP.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Not a great movie by any means, but it certainly doesn't deserve the trashing it's taken from critics. The first half hour is good creepy fun even if the last hour doesn't measure up.
  22. Benjamin
    Jun 13, 2008
    Verry comparable to "lady in the water" No... I actually Loved that movie... his charcters are fresh to me... so much more real then reality.... but most people want the same old, same old.
  23. RyanC.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Much better than the bad ratings. Subtle, good message, and not a moment of dull.
  24. StanA.
    Jun 13, 2008
    I know some of the critics didn't like it, but I thought it was excellent. To each his own.
  25. Nov 8, 2012
    This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The plot, once you figure it out, is so stupid you will not believe that someone actually approved this to be made into a movie. The movie moves along at a droning pace, just like most M. Night Shyamalan movies. Usually, this is acceptable to me because the payoff is worth it, like The Sixth Sense. In this case I was painfully boredThis is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The plot, once you figure it out, is so stupid you will not believe that someone actually approved this to be made into a movie. The movie moves along at a droning pace, just like most M. Night Shyamalan movies. Usually, this is acceptable to me because the payoff is worth it, like The Sixth Sense. In this case I was painfully bored until I figured out the ridiculous plot twist and by that time I was ready to call it quits.

Mark Wahlburg is generally an okay actor but in this film I think even he realizes how stupid it is and just gave up. The rest of the acting doesn't really matter because you will have lost interest long before judging it.

The only reason I even gave this movie a 1 is because I actually endured it till the end, otherwise it would have been a 0. You will miss nothing by not seeing this movie, except for the regrets of wishing you had not wasted 2 hours of your life on it.
  26. Jan 11, 2015
    A dark, mysterious and generally entertaining environmental thriller, The Happening may not appeal to everyone's taste from what we know the director for but still manages to bring enough horror elements in It's time to be worth while.
  27. MitchA.
    Oct 28, 2008
    Without a doubt one of the worst films i have ever seen. How M. Night Shyamalan could get something so wrong after getting other films so right is outragous. AVOID
  28. EricJ.
    Jun 20, 2008
    It's not so horrible that you'll run out of the theater, but you'll at least consider walking about half-way through. It's main weakness seems to be Mr. Wahlberg, who seems to only have one mood throughout the entire film. Otherwise, it's just a chase movie between running people and inanimate objects.
  29. DamianB.B.
    Jul 7, 2008
    I like movies like this, specially for being created by one man's mind. It has a message but only if you have an open mind you'll catch it.
  30. JamesS.
    Jun 14, 2008
    I saw this movie before reading the reviews and liked it, but so far I have liked all of M. Nights movies. if you liked lady in the water you'll like the happening, movie critics just like writing negative movie reviews, just read some of the reviews on transformers, and you'll see what I mean.
  31. NicholasB.
    Jun 15, 2008
    The happening? What actually happens? Not much. Marc Wahlberg is truly appalling- much like his cop role in Boogie Nights. This 90 minutes seemed along, long time.
  32. DaveP.
    Jun 16, 2008
    I never take the time to rate movies bbut this one is an exception. Without a doubt this is the worst movie I have ever seen in a theatre, and possibly the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. And yes, I saw Gigli, I saw Battlefield earth and several other awful pices of filmaking and this trumps them all. Worst plot of any movie I have ever seen. I was laughing the entire movie it I never take the time to rate movies bbut this one is an exception. Without a doubt this is the worst movie I have ever seen in a theatre, and possibly the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. And yes, I saw Gigli, I saw Battlefield earth and several other awful pices of filmaking and this trumps them all. Worst plot of any movie I have ever seen. I was laughing the entire movie it was so bad. The acting was also just terrible. I don't know how Mark Walhber accepted to be in this. M. Night Shamalany (or howveer you spell his name) should never be aloud to make a movie again in his entire life. I feel cheated just for wasting two hours and $10 or my life. Excuse me while I go throw up. Expand
  33. SoleiS.
    Jun 18, 2008
    ME CARES this movie !!, because I found it interesting and important for the age of our world, were you able to see the cinematography?, the art direction?, the smart of the script?, did you hear the wonderful music by the composer James Newton Howard?, pay attention and you will find art, but maybe many of you just go to the teathers to eat pop corn.
  34. IonA.
    Jun 19, 2008
    Worst movie i have ever seen. I almost fell asleep.
  35. AramisG.
    Jun 21, 2008
    I went in with very low expectations and every one of them was met with this boring film. This isn't a responsible time to be making puesdo science environmentalist movies.
  36. BrianH.B.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Always creative, with a mind full of original ideas, those who attack him don't lose any of his movies before get released at theatres. For me is pretty good.
  37. DianeK.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Another misunderstood movie, that works perfectly for who search more originality.
  38. PaulB.
    Jun 30, 2008
    This movie is good and it has born to kill all the bad movies of horror or suspense this year.
  39. Shippoo!
    Jul 1, 2008
    Well done, well directed, this is the kind of movies I enjoy, sorry for others...you all can cry, an idea!, ask your money back, I will see it again.
  40. DavidB.
    Jul 1, 2008
    Better is going to see movies with no expectations, so you don't lose the ability of get surprised. Relax and see more...hear more, find the details.
  41. JadeT.
    Jul 29, 2008
    Not so bad, not so good !, but the rates of critics are not fair, for me Shyamalan's movies are full of originality.
  42. PaigeC.
    Jul 30, 2008
    The only thing that bothered me in this film was the amount of comic relief. There was too much and make the movie more of a comical movie than anything else. It did have good moments of suspence and I did jump however.
  43. DiegoL.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Really weak movie, interesting idea poorly developed with bad dialogues and bad acting. What a disappointment!
  44. JamesP.
    Jul 8, 2008
    It is good, like birds of Hitchcock, yes! in a similar way, you can compare them. Maybe both are bad for you, for me are good enough.
  45. ThiagoT.
    Aug 25, 2008
    This movie is horrible. M. Night Shyamalan had good dreams and put it on the screen, after this one its proven how fucking luck and of course, immature he is as director. Zooey Deschanel didn't how what a hell she was doing in the entire film, that was kinda fun.
  46. JoeU.
    Aug 4, 2008
    I think the movie was enjoyable, but, i did not like the script, i think it was lazy, not well worked, amateur. I also think Shyamalan tried to do something new but it didnt work either.
  47. SteveS
    Jan 7, 2009
    Just awful. Defies logic at many turns. Wahlberg's and performance is leaden. Zooey Deschanel spends the movie staring gap mouthed at the screen. If you want to watch a bad film to laugh at, there are better bad flicks out there.
  48. SameerS.
    Jul 9, 2009
    I am a Shymalan Fan. But all of his movies do require one to see what was the thought behind the project. shyamalan is eeriely positive person. This is evident in 6th sense when the spirit redeems itself by helping the boy, unbreakable where Bruce is the positive force, Village where love wins, Lady in water where there is happy ending, signs where gibson returns back to faith and I am a Shymalan Fan. But all of his movies do require one to see what was the thought behind the project. shyamalan is eeriely positive person. This is evident in 6th sense when the spirit redeems itself by helping the boy, unbreakable where Bruce is the positive force, Village where love wins, Lady in water where there is happy ending, signs where gibson returns back to faith and happening where love and belief wins over odds. I loved the happening movie He is brilliant where he leaves the audience thinking pondering and hungry for his next creation. His movies are 3D where the third dimension is thought. Expand
  49. AndrewD.
    Nov 2, 2008
    Suprisingly creepy with a definite ecocide-in-reverse theme. The disdain with which bloggers treat M Nights films is a worry. No mainstream pulp director has ever received such scorn. Each and every film stimulated me intellectually and cinematically. In 20 years his films will be remembered and revisited again and again. Then witness the volte-face of the contempary critics who found his Suprisingly creepy with a definite ecocide-in-reverse theme. The disdain with which bloggers treat M Nights films is a worry. No mainstream pulp director has ever received such scorn. Each and every film stimulated me intellectually and cinematically. In 20 years his films will be remembered and revisited again and again. Then witness the volte-face of the contempary critics who found his works to be egotistical. Methinks you do protest too much. Expand
  50. JayH.
    Oct 1, 2008
    Ahhhh, M Night Shyamalan. Mr. pretentious. And he does nearly kill what could have been a much better film. But I like this one better than his last string of stinkers. Mark Wahlberg is a big plus, it is well acted. Shyamalan needs to get off his high horse.
  51. JohanF.
    Oct 18, 2008
    I think this is a great movie!!! It just have to been seen! Dont listen to the 0 and 1 votes. If you dont watch this movie you have missed something!!!
  52. Meghan
    Oct 18, 2008
    The previews looked excellent and the premise appeared interesting, but the movie itself was a flop. I was severely disappointed because the idea behind the movie could have made an incredible movie; it just wasn't served to the audience in a palatable fashion. The acting was literally laughable, as well as the script- a total cheez-factory. Idiosyncratic characters, such as the The previews looked excellent and the premise appeared interesting, but the movie itself was a flop. I was severely disappointed because the idea behind the movie could have made an incredible movie; it just wasn't served to the audience in a palatable fashion. The acting was literally laughable, as well as the script- a total cheez-factory. Idiosyncratic characters, such as the military guy on the road and the old woman who housed them in the end, seemed to be "weird" for no reason at all. I was sitting there wondering what was up with them, and it turned out that their personalities/behaviors served no purpose at all. I think M. Night Shyamalan wrapped himself up too tightly in concept (style) in this movie, and therefore failed to tell the story effectively. He is lost in his own artistry, but this is nothing new for his movies. Avoid this movie, and I encourage you to rewrite it yourself--- you could definitely do much better than this guy. Expand
  53. JamieT
    Oct 31, 2008
    Possibly the worst movie I haver ever seen. It replaces his previous movie, Lady in the Water. I was hoping Night was going to get back to making good movies like Sixth Sense, Signs and Unbreakable but instead this retchid movie happened. Did I feel drawn into the movie? Possibly - yes! I too had an overwhelming urge to stick something sharp into my neck while trying to digest this Possibly the worst movie I haver ever seen. It replaces his previous movie, Lady in the Water. I was hoping Night was going to get back to making good movies like Sixth Sense, Signs and Unbreakable but instead this retchid movie happened. Did I feel drawn into the movie? Possibly - yes! I too had an overwhelming urge to stick something sharp into my neck while trying to digest this absolute howler! Expand
  54. RichardR.
    Oct 31, 2008
    A decent germ of an idea has been turned into a boring film with talk, talk, talk. What awful writing. Come on, Night. You know you can do better -- don't you?
  55. DanM.
    Oct 7, 2008
    This has to be the worst movie I've ever seen....terrible acting, zero plot, and a god-awful storyline. The Happening = FAIL.
  56. AlexB.
    Oct 8, 2008
    Laughable at best and overly pretentious. Avoid this movie at all costs.
  57. BillB
    Oct 9, 2008
    I laughed so hard while watching this movie, not because it was supposed to be funny, but because it was so badly done. How can Shyamalan not realize that the dialogue, story content, and acting was absolutely terrible? Mark Wahlberg was worse than an 8th grader in a school play and Deschanel was more like a 6th grader. This movie played out like a stupid comedy, even though you could I laughed so hard while watching this movie, not because it was supposed to be funny, but because it was so badly done. How can Shyamalan not realize that the dialogue, story content, and acting was absolutely terrible? Mark Wahlberg was worse than an 8th grader in a school play and Deschanel was more like a 6th grader. This movie played out like a stupid comedy, even though you could tell that it was 100% serious. Avoid The Happening unless you are a connoisseur of offal movies or you think that M. Night Shyamalan is a good director! Expand
  58. EvanO.
    Jun 12, 2008
    M. Night Shymalan's best movie since the Sixth Sense. Visually horrifying and psychologically thrilling. Will leave you thinking for a while afterwards.
  59. AaronA.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Poor acting, poor writing, poor production overall.
  60. vidman
    Jun 14, 2008
    The movie is thrilling and thought provoking, but it builds up to nothing but speculation.
  61. ColbyS
    Jun 14, 2008
    Oh, come on, critics. I consider myself pretty tasteful when it comes to movies, and this was definitely not the clunker it was cracked up to be. On par with Signs or The Sixth Sense? No. But I think what happened here is the equivalent of what happens in so many elementary schools worldwide: picking on an easy target simply because of the ease of the target. In this case, the target is Oh, come on, critics. I consider myself pretty tasteful when it comes to movies, and this was definitely not the clunker it was cracked up to be. On par with Signs or The Sixth Sense? No. But I think what happened here is the equivalent of what happens in so many elementary schools worldwide: picking on an easy target simply because of the ease of the target. In this case, the target is Shyamalan, who has made a few bombs the past couple of years. Not high art, but it scared me a few times and left me entertained. Solid. Expand
  62. ChadS.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Say what you will about "The Village" and "The Lady in the Water", the former- an allegory about the scare tactics of Homeland Security, and the latter- a contemporary fairy tale set in the city, as being dippy, pedantic, and somewhat sanctimonious; neither film, however, could be accused of being uninspired. The filmmaker took chances. Critics and audiences alike, ridiculed him for it. Say what you will about "The Village" and "The Lady in the Water", the former- an allegory about the scare tactics of Homeland Security, and the latter- a contemporary fairy tale set in the city, as being dippy, pedantic, and somewhat sanctimonious; neither film, however, could be accused of being uninspired. The filmmaker took chances. Critics and audiences alike, ridiculed him for it. Now comes "The Happening", a film so shockingly formulaic, one is tempted to call this melding of "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and the Sparks' song "Don't Turn Your Back on Mother Earth"(made popular by Depeche Mode), a piece of confrontational art. For the first time, the filmmaker acknowledges, in a very cynical fashion, that the American moviegoing public have reduced attention spans with a preference for spectacle over narrative. The filmmaker purposely made a dumb movie because he thinks that movie audiences were too ignorant to get his last two pictures. That's why the dialogue is worse than perfunctory, it's practically post-literate. "The Happening" plays like an episode of "The Twilight Zone" directed by Ed Wood. Mark Wahlberg is off his game. Zooey Deschanel is off her game. There's very little indication that either actor received much instruction from their director. Wahlberg, in particular, is terrible; his character, sort of imbecilic. Elliot doesn't want to be alone, but being with Alma(Deschanel) means risking exposure to the aerial spores(or whatever), therefore killing her. A child is with them. Maybe the filmmaker is going for the child-killing trifecta. Expand
  63. SteveF.
    Jun 14, 2008
    I really liked this movie. It might not have the wam bam of a twist that Sixth sense had but I really enjoyed the characters and the overall acting and story. I know that most critics are saying bad stuff about it but I just don't listen to people and have always judged movies after I have viewed them
  64. IzzyN.
    Jun 15, 2008
    Greatly disappointed in the manner of how a seemingly talented M. Night turned an entertainment film into a scare mongering, fear driven story about how WE AS PEOPLE are ruining the earth. If you see this movie, and fail to grasp this inherent concept behind the plot, it is either because M. Night presented it in a backhanded fearful manner meant to scare you OR you just fall right into Greatly disappointed in the manner of how a seemingly talented M. Night turned an entertainment film into a scare mongering, fear driven story about how WE AS PEOPLE are ruining the earth. If you see this movie, and fail to grasp this inherent concept behind the plot, it is either because M. Night presented it in a backhanded fearful manner meant to scare you OR you just fall right into the group of people who believe exactly what is preached to you by the "all-knowing" environmentalists that think they have the right to give you guilt trips and, in the process, control your life. The message in the plot - and the plot in general, for that matter - was poorly executed. But maybe it was done like that on purpose - because you are so immensely inundated with horrific images and growing fear that the main characters' lives are coming to an end. Yet amid all of these dramatizations (many of which are very "corny") is a definitive message about why these people are dying. On the surface, it appears that they are dying because "nature is unpredictable" and it will do the craziest things - INCLUDING to KILL human beings. Don't fall for this mediocre conclusion. REALIZE that this movie was just made by another HOLLYWOOD LIBERAL looking to influence your emotions and fears. M. Night crafted NATURE to kill all of these people because it is as if nature was getting back at them for all the evil things he believes we are doing to the planet. [If you are just another kooky lib watching this movie, loving it and completely agreeing with it, then I pity your lack of judgment to discern when you are being scammed. Just continue thinking that your stance is never wrong.] The film is injected with LIBERAL talking points, some of which only last for a second - but when compiled together, a very naive and unknowing person will continue to take the talking points in as truths, and just walk away thinking only that they wasted $10 of their money and close to 2 hours of their life. People - Educate yourselves about the ways in which this GLOBAL WARMING scare is just meant to scare you, make you feel guilty and then tell you how to live your life --- AND THIS IS ALL FROM [AN APPARENTLY DWINDLING] HOLLYWOOD FILM DIRECTOR THAT'S ABUSING THEIR ARTISTIC RESOURCES TO MAKE YOU DEPRESSED AND SCARED. Movies have continued and will continue to go down the drain - AND THIS MOVIE IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHY. We as people are not destroying the earth in the way it is implied. And for M. Night to equate a terrorism threat with the global warming scam, is pathetic (even from an artistic stance, it lacks any and all sense of creativity or entertainment that people seek when paying to see a movie). Do NOT pay to see this movie. Don't even pay to rent it when it comes out. And if by some lapse of rational judgment you decide to see it, do not be confused or scared - realize the movie for what it is. Move on with your life, Be happy & NEVER change anything about your life just because failing directors and environmentalists like this one tell you to. Expand
  65. BMiller
    Jun 15, 2008
    There was once a time that "Directed by M Night Shyamalan" got me excited. Not now. Love him or hate him, he had a unique style and some impressive success early on. Namely:
  66. ZackW.
    Jun 15, 2008
    This was an terrible film. Not only was the entire audience laughing for half of the "horror" film, but it was booed at the ending. This was a late attempt for the writer/director to jump on the environmental bandwagon. This film was horrible. It left me with a feeling of.... hmm.... oh yeah, I want my money back!
  67. NigelN.
    Jun 16, 2008
    M Night Shaymalan needs to go back to basics. His name has been sullied in Hollywood with a series of egotistical moves. This has made audiences and critics alike scrutinize his movies even more. A much better effort than Lady in the Water but the main problem with this movie - WHO CARES?
  68. CalyM.
    Jun 16, 2008
    It is not the best movie of Night S., is not the worse either, for me is good, I could understand everything, but who knows what is our destiny?, you can see that the meltdown of poles is a reality, the oceans goes up and up, I want to resist to believe that this is happening. For me the movie talks about the green effect, is a warning, and I wanna thank Shyamalan for remember to all It is not the best movie of Night S., is not the worse either, for me is good, I could understand everything, but who knows what is our destiny?, you can see that the meltdown of poles is a reality, the oceans goes up and up, I want to resist to believe that this is happening. For me the movie talks about the green effect, is a warning, and I wanna thank Shyamalan for remember to all people around the world for taking care our planet, we dont have another. Collapse
  69. FredS.
    Jun 16, 2008
    Started out good, but went to crap and stayed crappy for the rest of the movie.
  70. MatthewH.
    Jun 16, 2008
    The worst movie I've ever seen in the theater. Terrible acting. Atrocious writing. Horrible plot. The only funny thing about the movie was one of the character's lazy eye...seriously. The foreshadowing was so obvious. I felt like M. Night and a class of kindergartenerds not only formed the plot between snack and nap time, but also wrote the script.
  71. Newkiddie
    Jun 17, 2008
    Sixth sense =10, Signs= 10, Unbreakable= 9, The Village= 10, Lady in the water= 7, The Happening= 10, why?, 'cause there are movies of this kind so good, so original in the scripts that "some special people" go to see 'em at theaters every 2 years again, even when they pretend dont like Shymalans movie's.
  72. EddieB.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Nature breaks wind in The Happening, the latest stinker from M. Night Shylamayan. Hey, I'm rooting for the guy, I really am, but it's tough when I have to sit through 90 minutes of laughably bad dialogue and acting, an unconvincing plot, and boring characters. As in his last two films, M. Night finds an interesting idea that ultimately fails to deliver on its promise--sort of Nature breaks wind in The Happening, the latest stinker from M. Night Shylamayan. Hey, I'm rooting for the guy, I really am, but it's tough when I have to sit through 90 minutes of laughably bad dialogue and acting, an unconvincing plot, and boring characters. As in his last two films, M. Night finds an interesting idea that ultimately fails to deliver on its promise--sort of like writing a 10-page term paper only to realize halfway through that your thesis statement is weak. Note to Mr. S.: Bustling leaves, open windows, and swaying trees can be scary with the right film ingredients ... or an audience of allergy-sufferers. Expand
  73. AndreT.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Not as bad as the critics might tell. The movie has some suspence in it, the starting idea is pretty good, but by the end it gets somewhat confused. The acting in this movie doesn't sell the film at all. Is it the comedians or how they were directed ? For once, I think Mr. Shalayman missed on the actor directing. The story is average and how it's filmed is more then decent. I Not as bad as the critics might tell. The movie has some suspence in it, the starting idea is pretty good, but by the end it gets somewhat confused. The acting in this movie doesn't sell the film at all. Is it the comedians or how they were directed ? For once, I think Mr. Shalayman missed on the actor directing. The story is average and how it's filmed is more then decent. I think it's time for Shalayman to direct a movie that was writen by someone else...it would help him on how he writes his own stories. Expand
  74. AlekM.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Shyamalan certainly deserves quite a bit of strife for his last effort, "Lady in the Water" but with this one I think that critics have gone a little overboard. No, this is not the Sixth Sense, or Unbreakable. You will not be shocked and awed by a tantalizing plot twist. What you will enjoy, however, is a solid drama with a strong message. Despite what you've heard, the acting is Shyamalan certainly deserves quite a bit of strife for his last effort, "Lady in the Water" but with this one I think that critics have gone a little overboard. No, this is not the Sixth Sense, or Unbreakable. You will not be shocked and awed by a tantalizing plot twist. What you will enjoy, however, is a solid drama with a strong message. Despite what you've heard, the acting is quite good. Acting does not need constant buoyancy and flair to be effective, it requires solid development and connection to the viewers; in that regard this could be Wahlberg's finest performance to date. The cinematography is par for the course for Shyamalan, you will not experience seizure inducing cut rates, rather you will be able to enjoy the acting done by the cast. The dialogue is... lacking and the plot could have been better, and the whole thing could have been less cheesy, but really, it was a solid effort. Not deep enough, but not too light that it leaves you pining for more. Enjoy it for what it is, instead of bashing it for what Shyamalan HAS done for his audiences in the past. Expand
  75. LeoR.
    Jun 18, 2008
    This wasn't a great movie nor was it a bad one. It was an entertaining 90 minute thriller that kept your attention the whole way through. I disagree with the critics on the performances; I thought they were all great, especially Mark Whalberg who I usually can't stand. The ending left me feeling a bit unsatisfied but overall this was a good Saturday afternoon flick. Not worth This wasn't a great movie nor was it a bad one. It was an entertaining 90 minute thriller that kept your attention the whole way through. I disagree with the critics on the performances; I thought they were all great, especially Mark Whalberg who I usually can't stand. The ending left me feeling a bit unsatisfied but overall this was a good Saturday afternoon flick. Not worth seeing at the cinema but it would make a great rental. Expand
  76. SteveK.
    Jun 19, 2008
    One of the worst films I've ever seen, It was a great concept that failed on all levels. Poor script, poor acting, poorly executed.
  77. AmandaO..
    Jun 20, 2008
    Hulk better than Happening?, I dont think so "my hard critics", more about comics, remakes and the like, I rather something new and different, a better experience and surprises.
  78. MauriceLover
    Jun 21, 2008
    This director is a crazy man, the end of a career?. Somebody so creative like him has much art to stop working, around the world his movies are truly hits, has impact, this is the beginning of a leyend in the industry, adding in my comment this last film is incredibly good !.
  79. AlexaM.
    Jun 22, 2008
    I see 4 movies per month each year, and this film got catch me from beginning to end.
  80. JacobR.
    Jun 23, 2008
    The only thing I enjoyed about the movie was how hilariously quotable all the one-liners were from the lack-luster acting. The plot holes were plain as day, there was little action or suspense when there should've been, and there was little there to constitute all the hype about it being Mr. Shyamalan's "first R-rated movie". Also, wind doesn't work like that. It can't The only thing I enjoyed about the movie was how hilariously quotable all the one-liners were from the lack-luster acting. The plot holes were plain as day, there was little action or suspense when there should've been, and there was little there to constitute all the hype about it being Mr. Shyamalan's "first R-rated movie". Also, wind doesn't work like that. It can't chase people, and I found that hilarious in the movie. Also, what's the big deal about the female lead having dessert with a co worker? The whole script and execution was poor. Expand
  81. AraV.
    Jun 24, 2008
    Boring?, for me was a little scary and funny, good levels of suspense, boring for those who want to see monsters or aliens cutting heads and arms, don't be so lazy, buy more candies or pop corn and maybe you'll have fun, for me that is unnecessary, I just wanted see more and more.
  82. Jefframone
    Jun 24, 2008
    An oh man, how many crappy movies does M. Night Shyamalan before I stop seeing his stuff? The mysterious premise sucked me. And honestly, the first like 15 minutes of the film was scary, weird, exciting, effective and roped me in immediately. And then Marky Mark opened his mouth. Let me save you the time, trouble and $10: some really angry plants are responsible for the events of The An oh man, how many crappy movies does M. Night Shyamalan before I stop seeing his stuff? The mysterious premise sucked me. And honestly, the first like 15 minutes of the film was scary, weird, exciting, effective and roped me in immediately. And then Marky Mark opened his mouth. Let me save you the time, trouble and $10: some really angry plants are responsible for the events of The Happening. There was an opportunity to do something interesting, but instead Shyamalan wrote the point of the whole movie on a large polo mallet and continuously whacked moviegoers over the head again and again and again. The point: Mother Earth is pissed at us. Plants and trees are adapting to these foreign invaders (humans) and spreading a toxic across the Northeast presumably to purge the planet of humankind. The End. Yet another Hollywood missed opportunity. Shame on me for getting suckered into one of his films -- AGAIN! Expand
  83. MayrakK.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Always honest with his scripts, follow his feels and own ideas, that's why I like his movies, Happened again, has much brain, he writes, produce and directs, not many do all this, it doesn't matter how many of his old ( enemies ) friends of high school keep on voting here wishing him the worse, what so ugly is envy, dont you think?, the movie is brilliant.
  84. EdwardA.
    Jun 25, 2008
    The topic is treated well, is interesting, has lack of boring moments, is supremely entertaining.
  85. LaurieG.
    Jun 20, 2008
    It has quality in all aspects, is funny, sometimes scary and well acted, I really liked it.
  86. BetoB.
    Jun 29, 2008
    It supposes to be a bad movie, and I like it very much, thank you god for not to hear critics.
  87. ArianaM.
    Jun 30, 2008
    All you have to do is read the illiterate comments of the people who liked this to know that this movie isn't worth the dirt they stood on to film it.
  88. AlecB.
    Jun 30, 2008
    Are you people serious giving this movie 10's? This was by far the most pointless movie of the year. Expected something good since the movie was directed by the same guy who made the 6th sense. Also why would Mark Walhberg want to star in this crap. Terrible view at your own risk.
  89. RollerY.
    Jun 30, 2008
    Fantastic and singular since beginning to end, Is my kind of movie.
  90. JordyB.
    Jun 30, 2008
    Although it is not perfect, the movie can get you in hard road of entertainment.
  91. PankyC
    Jul 10, 2008
    I always see all movies of suspense, and this one is better than the last 30 of it's genre, 'cause this is thriller! , isn't Mj ?
  92. KeithR.
    Jul 1, 2008
    The film is not *that* bad, but there were parts that I felt were uninspired. Several images throughout were disturbing, jarring, and even comical (Shyamalan is always tongue in cheek in his films). But I felt that he was unable to direct his actors. Wahlberg did what he could, Leguizamo was wonderful -- and wasted, Deschanel is only good as a poor man's Mary Louise Parker. The score The film is not *that* bad, but there were parts that I felt were uninspired. Several images throughout were disturbing, jarring, and even comical (Shyamalan is always tongue in cheek in his films). But I felt that he was unable to direct his actors. Wahlberg did what he could, Leguizamo was wonderful -- and wasted, Deschanel is only good as a poor man's Mary Louise Parker. The score was excellent (a throw back to the Village with its haunting cello theme). The film was choppy with great moments, followed by not so great ones. Expand
  93. CAndersson
    Jul 1, 2008
    How anyone can give this film a very low score is beyond me. This is quite a good film. It's not the hollywood standard with explosions and stupid scares. This is a film without hero's, the main "man" is not a confident leader spouting bad script, he's scared and unsure like everyone else. The plot has some lofty ideas, but it's better than most similar How anyone can give this film a very low score is beyond me. This is quite a good film. It's not the hollywood standard with explosions and stupid scares. This is a film without hero's, the main "man" is not a confident leader spouting bad script, he's scared and unsure like everyone else. The plot has some lofty ideas, but it's better than most similar thriller/horror/choosegenre. It doesn't necessarily follow typical hollywood standards with silly characters, bad camera and linear scares. It doesn't take itself too seriously, while at the same time it's not a joke like so many other films. Not to mention that it's fun seeing Wahlburg playing a non-macho role. It's a nice change compared to the low standard, high budget hollywood flicks that we keep being fed again and again and again. Kudos to Shyamalan. Expand
  94. Rev.Rikard
    Jul 14, 2008
    It is quite obvious that critics are not ready to forgive Shyamalan for "Lady in the Water." He needed a great film like "Sixth Sense" or "The Village" to bury Lady in the Water for good. This was not it. However, the film was better than most reviews. I found its opening and first half hour really entertaining and interesting. From there one wonders if Shymalan's mind took a It is quite obvious that critics are not ready to forgive Shyamalan for "Lady in the Water." He needed a great film like "Sixth Sense" or "The Village" to bury Lady in the Water for good. This was not it. However, the film was better than most reviews. I found its opening and first half hour really entertaining and interesting. From there one wonders if Shymalan's mind took a sabbatical. "The Happening"'s noticeable flaw was the poor ending. I have never felt films needed have their endings neatly packaged, with all questions answered and problems solved. However, this ending leads the viewers to believe Shymalan ran out of creative ideas. It doesn't call upon us to employ our imaginations as well. The sequel could be easily produced: just run the film again. I really believed this film had potential, and stimulated our expectations. I find it difficult to forgive a director that raises my hopes and dashes them with a shabbily, inane ending. Expand
  95. IvonneR.
    Jul 17, 2008
    Nice in all aspects, we don't want this things happened never, but its only a movie, amused me.
  96. AdrianO.
    Jul 18, 2008
    Si es buena, no creo en lo que dicen los amarguetas, si te gusta el buen suspenso y el estilo único del director de El sexto sentido no debes dejar de verla, definitivamente el y sus peliculas son infravaloradas, basta ver los reviews que le dieron a sus mejores filmes como Sixth Sense y Señales "Signs" y verás el desdén que le tienen.
  97. KellyM.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Hey! Not so good as Unbreakable or Sixth sense, but much better than Lady in the water, I like the script, the score, the reactions of its characters, good role of Mark W.
  98. ShalimA.
    Jul 2, 2008
    This review in this page is about the Sixth Sense : Reel Views by: James Berardinelli. An inferior product. It is not well written, well acted, or well directed. Now I say Je, je, je, the movie was nominated for 6 oscars including all these categories: the script, the actors and Direction...so?, the movie is good for many people ( Happening ), each one think whatever it wants, it This review in this page is about the Sixth Sense : Reel Views by: James Berardinelli. An inferior product. It is not well written, well acted, or well directed. Now I say Je, je, je, the movie was nominated for 6 oscars including all these categories: the script, the actors and Direction...so?, the movie is good for many people ( Happening ), each one think whatever it wants, it won't win any nom but who cares?, is only a movie !, Shyamalan is an excellent creator of them. Expand
  99. IvanC.
    Jul 3, 2008
    In a world of lack of ideas, Happening shines with many.
  100. CerbionniM
    Jul 3, 2008
    Good enough in the genre of thrillers or suspense.

1. The movie seems more like a '50s science fiction film of extreme paranoia or an episode of "The Twilight Zone" that even at a swiftly paced 90 minutes feels padded.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    In short, this is a Shyamalan movie minus the bravado, the swagger; there are no audacious attempts to pull out the rug from under the audience, no ham-fisted lessons about the importance of religious belief or the power of storytelling.
    What a bunch of nonsense--effective nonsense, chilling nonsense, occasionally wrenching nonsense, but nonsense nonetheless.