The Heart of the Game

7.8

1. RostoforianD.
    Aug 4, 2006
    great movie all around..could use better direction and more plot, but still very enjoyable and intresting...a sweet film.
  2. WillardS.
    Jun 15, 2006
    What might be lacking in visual aesthetics are made up for by a really inspiring story. My 14 year old daughter has her heart set on playing pro ball and we couldn't have enjoyed this more. This film is a must for young women - a cautionary tale as well as an inspiring one. We all felt compelled to cheer throughout the film.
  3. ChrisP.
    Jun 24, 2006
    This is one of the best movies I've ever seen. People will compare it to Hoop Dreams, and its tough to do so because Hoop Dreams was a classic. This movie probably isn't as good as Hoop Dreams because Ward Serrill didn't get as up close and personal with his characters as the Hoop Dreams' directors did. But what this movie has over Hoop Dreams is nonstop This is one of the best movies I've ever seen. People will compare it to Hoop Dreams, and its tough to do so because Hoop Dreams was a classic. This movie probably isn't as good as Hoop Dreams because Ward Serrill didn't get as up close and personal with his characters as the Hoop Dreams' directors did. But what this movie has over Hoop Dreams is nonstop entertainment-a roller coaster ride with a happy ending. I cried at times during the movie but left with a smile on my face. Expand
  4. KenG.
    Jul 21, 2006
    This really only focuses on two people. One (the star player) is interesting. The other (the coach) is not. Film-makers couldn't be bothered to let us know anyone else. Doesn't work as a Cinderella story either, as the team had been a powerhouse for years, so movie is just about it taking the final step. Not really a bad movie, just not all that good.
  5. TomP.
    Sep 13, 2006
    Strong documentary. Holds together and holds attention. Sports junkies will love this.

1. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Compelling but traditional feature.
    A sweet, engaging journey with the Roosevelt Roughriders, whose kindly coach encourages the girls to snarl like wolves and devour like lions.
    The entertaining new documentary The Heart Of The Game at least acknowledges many of the same conflicts that arose in Hoop Dreams, even though it's really more about two outsized personalities and their infectious passion for the sport.