The Heat

6.5

1. Jun 30, 2013
    Yes, it's loud and sometimes crude, but it's fast, sharp and funny. McCarthy and Bullock are strong actresses with great natural comedic timing and terrific chemistry together.

If your sensibilities are easily rocked by women acting less ladylike? Then stick to your boy buddy films... but good luck finding one this funny. This film is unapologetic which only makes it funnier... I

I haven't heard that much laughter in a theater in ages... Looking forward to Heat 2.
  2. Jul 8, 2013
    Even though the movie was completely predictable, Melissa McCarthy made me laugh quite a bit, so I am giving this movie a pass. Sandra Bullock was also good as the nerdy straight man, or straight woman in this case. I enjoyed their chemistry. The movie also has some politically incorrect humor involving an albino, and a lot of other crude, low brow humor. If you're at all prudish whenEven though the movie was completely predictable, Melissa McCarthy made me laugh quite a bit, so I am giving this movie a pass. Sandra Bullock was also good as the nerdy straight man, or straight woman in this case. I enjoyed their chemistry. The movie also has some politically incorrect humor involving an albino, and a lot of other crude, low brow humor. If you're at all prudish when it comes to profanity, stay away. Expand
  3. Nov 23, 2013
    A very funny movie that will bring a lot of laughs. Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock make a perfect comedic team. It's surprisingly crude and downright vulgar at times, proving that these ladies can pull off dirty humor just as well as any male actor can. It's a not stop laugh riot, but it does have some issues that ultimately bring down the experience but do not ruin it.

Admittedly

Admittedly some of the more violent moments here come across as more shocking than I think was intended. Mostly just because it's somewhat awkward to just get done laughing out loud only to see someone get shot in the face. I get that this is a cop movie but the transitions between humor to the more violent moments that this movie can offer can be a little more than awkward at times. Melissa McCarthy's character over-excessive use of profanity can be a little irritating as well. I get the whole tough cop character, but there's a time when all the cursing just becomes a little too much.

Still, I can't tell you how much I laughed throughout this movie. There are so many hilarious moments that you will find yourself quoting with other people who have seen the movie. It proves that women can star in a vulgar and loud comedy just as well as any male actor, and is just a heck of a lot of fun to watch. So if you're looking for a laugh riot of a movie to watch then "The Heat" is for you.
  4. Oct 24, 2013
    The Heat was actually a really funny movie. Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy are both really funny, though McCarthy's character is quite annoying early on. Also, a lot of the humor is a bit over the top so that can get old but a lot of it is still quite funny. I did love the Bill Burr cameo though. Overall, this film isn't for everyone but it provides some laughs and has decent plot andThe Heat was actually a really funny movie. Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy are both really funny, though McCarthy's character is quite annoying early on. Also, a lot of the humor is a bit over the top so that can get old but a lot of it is still quite funny. I did love the Bill Burr cameo though. Overall, this film isn't for everyone but it provides some laughs and has decent plot and character development. Expand
  5. Sep 14, 2014
    The Heat is Paul Feig's follow him to his smash hit comedy, Bridesmaids. The trailers for this film made it look absolutely hysterical, a completely can't miss comedy, but it's extreme raunchiness turns out to be it's worst enemy. When an ambitious FBI agent (Sandra Bullock) is sent to Boston to catch a monster, she sees it as an open and shut case. What she didn't expect was to run into aThe Heat is Paul Feig's follow him to his smash hit comedy, Bridesmaids. The trailers for this film made it look absolutely hysterical, a completely can't miss comedy, but it's extreme raunchiness turns out to be it's worst enemy. When an ambitious FBI agent (Sandra Bullock) is sent to Boston to catch a monster, she sees it as an open and shut case. What she didn't expect was to run into a local detective who is anything but conventional. The background story and case the pair are working on is really terrific and very well written, with just the right amount of comedy, this really could have been the female version of Lethal Weapon. Instead, the Heat goes so far over the top, that by the end it just isn't that funny anymore. Sandra Bullock is terrific, despite playing her usual whiny loner character. When she finally has had enough of McCarthy and snaps, it really is the best part of the whole film. Mellisa McCarthy is the problem here, as she too is playing her usual character, but to a real extreme. I find her to be very funny, but in this film, nothing is serious and every other word out of her mouth is an F bomb. Every time the story really starts to take off and become interesting, she shows up to screw everything up. Don't get me wrong here, this film is much better than some of the other comedies to come out lately, but as it's destine for a sequel, my hope is that they will tune it down a bit. The right line at the right time can really make a film like this and some scenes are hilarious, but the truth is, when the jokes are non-stop and the action is few and far between, it really hurts the film. Lethal Weapon would be the perfect template for a team like this and with the right jokes at the right time, they could find even more success than Glover and Gibson did. Expand
  6. Jul 2, 2013
    Don't listen to the critics, this movie was hilarious from start to finish. Melissa McCarthy has yet to disappoint me, and Sandra Bullock's return to comedy movies is very welcomed. These two ladies have surprisingly good chemistry, and this movie also has elements of drama cleverly blended in with the comedy. You really start to feel sad for the two main characters and their shortDon't listen to the critics, this movie was hilarious from start to finish. Melissa McCarthy has yet to disappoint me, and Sandra Bullock's return to comedy movies is very welcomed. These two ladies have surprisingly good chemistry, and this movie also has elements of drama cleverly blended in with the comedy. You really start to feel sad for the two main characters and their short comings, but the two as a duo come to compensate for each others lacking qualities. The only gripe I have about this movie is that there is alot of cursing. Much of what came from Melissa (shocking and from other characters for no reason. The cussing should have been toned down a bit. But overall, this is the best comedy to come out this summer so far, you wont be disappointed Expand
  7. Jun 26, 2014
    I thought The Heat might be another unfunny buddy cop comedy. But the critics and the audience have raved about the movie so I decided to check it out, and to my surprise, I can see why.

The Heat’s main highlight was its shocking, brash, yet funny humor. I could not stop laughing at what’s going on in the movie. The comedic timing is great. The chemistry of the duo, Melissa McCarthy

The chemistry of the duo, Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock is a bit weird but it worked out for this movie thanks to their comedic talents. You can see that they had fun making the movie on set.

The plot is okay. It seemed cliched with the conflict and the plot twist, though I was shocked about it too but it’s a comedy movie, what do you expect?

The action scenes weren’t that dramatic, but that’s the point.

I never thought I would care about the characters in the movie. I keep cheering for them to solve the crime, which is rare to root for in a movie like this.

If you wanted to laugh for 2 hours, this is the movie you should see. I recommend you should watch it with friends for enhanced entertainment. Would I see it again? Sure, especially with friends around.
  8. Jul 5, 2013
    There are some laugh out loud moments in The Heat and the performances by Bullock and McCarthy are great. When there aren't laughs though you realize how predictable and pedestrian the story is. Therefore the movie probably won't have much replay value. But if your looking for a raunchy comedy with some laughs then The Heat will do just fine.
  9. Jul 22, 2013
    This movie is all about the two leads, Bullock and McCarthy. They are hilarious together and work so well off each other, but there's no denying McCarthy is the star as she provides the majority of the laughs. It has a lot of swearing so be warned already about that, but its a clever concept as an FBI agent and Police Officer try and take down a drug lord with hilarious results of course.This movie is all about the two leads, Bullock and McCarthy. They are hilarious together and work so well off each other, but there's no denying McCarthy is the star as she provides the majority of the laughs. It has a lot of swearing so be warned already about that, but its a clever concept as an FBI agent and Police Officer try and take down a drug lord with hilarious results of course. As long as you aren't taking it too seriously you will certainly enjoy this very funny Comedy Expand
  10. Jul 7, 2013
    Melissa McCarthy is definitely the star of this film her comedic timing is exceptional and her and Sandra Bullock play well off each other. There are a few scenes that fall flat, but overall this is a real solid comedy.
  11. Aug 1, 2013
    One of the funniest movies of the year. Had me laughing at something in every scene. Melissa McCarthy is the funniest actress living today. Sandra Bullock is also hilarious. A must see!
  12. Jul 9, 2013
    The heat has to be one of the best movies I've seen, Sandra Bullock just made the movie GREAT! Mostly because of the mean things she would say or just the actions, in the major events! I would really recommend you to watch it!
  13. Sep 19, 2013
    If you didn't find these two wonderful actresses as funny and compatible as I did, I don't know what movie you saw, but it definitely wasn't The Heat!
  14. Dec 3, 2013
    I have not laughed so much in a movie since Hangover 1. My jaw was aching and I had a grin on my face for an hour after we left the movie. Such great chemistry/interaction between Bullock and McCarthy. This what a comedy is meant to be.
  15. Feb 16, 2014
    It has to be one of the most amusing raunchy comedies I have ever seen. McCarthy shows no mercy taking on the role of fearless Shannon Mullins, along with Bullock as uptight FBI agent Sarah Ashburn. This comedy will (or should) tickle the fancy of any comedy fan.
  16. Mar 15, 2014
    Melissa Mcarthy is a cursing bad ass which i love i did not look forward in her performance in bridemaids but i did forward in other movies like identity theif .
  17. May 16, 2014
    As if Melissa McCarthy isn't funny enough, add Sandra Bullock's funniest performance to the mix and you will not stop laughing from start to finish. A great time had by all... Bravo!
  18. Aug 11, 2014
    Non stop laughs! One of the best comedies ever. You will truly enjoy the movie. It's a must see!! If you need a quick "escape from reality" then take a time out and have some fun!
  19. Jul 13, 2013
    The Heat starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy cop buddies! How on earth, can this go wrong?!?!?! The Heat is capricious fun with hilarious dialogue and some smart ass entertainment. Bullock and McCarthy comic energy makes it almost impossible to find flaws in this movie, which there is, but deniable. The Heat is by far the funniest movie 2013. Bravo!!
  20. Jun 30, 2013
  21. Jul 3, 2013
    I almost skipped this movie because of the horribly photoshopped poster. The marketing people really messed up with this one because this movie was refreshingly hilarious. I'll admit my expectations were low, but i saw it on opening night with a packed house, and people (including me) were doubling over with laughter. It was just fun. Plus, it wasn't bogged down with side storiesI almost skipped this movie because of the horribly photoshopped poster. The marketing people really messed up with this one because this movie was refreshingly hilarious. I'll admit my expectations were low, but i saw it on opening night with a packed house, and people (including me) were doubling over with laughter. It was just fun. Plus, it wasn't bogged down with side stories about someone's boyfriend or a romantic entanglement that derailed the mission or created an inner conflict for one of the characters. These women are badass and they don't apologize for it. We need more films like this: written by women with strong female characters that everyone (including men), will relate to and be entertained by.
    Kudos to Bullock and McCarthy for their commitment to the funny, honest, raw, raunchy, poignant, gritty roles. More please!
  22. Jun 29, 2013
    A Ladies Day Out movie! Sandra and Melissa rocked as partners. Only the villain was weak. i rate this movie 10/10. Can't wait for Heat 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  23. Jun 28, 2013
    One’s got a long track record and an Oscar on her mantel, the other’s lighting up the comedy circuit on large and small screens everywhere. So both are generating A-list box-office heat. Thus their summer pairing in the odd-couple police-action thriller The Heat, in which Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy play disliked loners with the social skills of skunks who are in pursuit of anOne’s got a long track record and an Oscar on her mantel, the other’s lighting up the comedy circuit on large and small screens everywhere. So both are generating A-list box-office heat. Thus their summer pairing in the odd-couple police-action thriller The Heat, in which Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy play disliked loners with the social skills of skunks who are in pursuit of an elusive Russian mobster, a murderous drug lord. Yep, you’re right, we’ve been there a million times. Yet even if every plot point in The Heat were suffocatingly familiar in this male-dominated genre, the film would still feel fresh because it remains an absolute rarity: finally, a female buddy-cop flick! Bullock is prim-and-proper, by-the-book FBI special agent Sarah Ashburn, an accomplished and respected investigator who has gained a high degree of self-respect with more than a dash of arrogance, and who is actively seeking what she perceives as a well-deserved promotion. So when she’s paired with street-wise Boston PD detective Shannon Mullins, played as a slovenly loose cannon with a mean streak by McCarthy, she’s understandably unimpressed. The key element here, as you can imagine, is the comic chemistry between the two leads. And it’s considerable and entertaining. Bullock is her usual dependable self, calibrating her character effectively without overdoing it within the confines of the action-thriller genre. As for breakout star McCarthy, so fine in a supporting role in Bridesmaids, then so overbearing when her talent was squandered as the female lead opposite Jason Bateman in Identity Thief earlier this year, she reunites with director Paul Feig, who knows how to showcase her hilarious, motormouth, scatological line readings and her flair for physical comedy. Producer and director Feig, who directed McCarthy to her out-of-nowhere Oscar nomination in Bridesmaids in 2011, gets another strong contribution from McCarthy, who matches and complements Bullock insult by insult, embellishing the scripted narrative with extensive, skilled improvisation. The tried-and-true screenplay by Katie Dippold, definitively formulaic but gender-bending as it is, benefits tremendously from sterling execution by director Feig and his two able leads. But it goes beyond the surface contours of an action comedy, even though it qualifies as one, by managing to remain relatively character-driven all the way through. As for the film’s missteps and excesses overemphasized bursts of graphic violence, generically obligatory narrative clichés, characters verging on caricature, too much improvisatory indulgence well, this unique female version gets the same leeway that all those loose-as-a-goose male buddy-cop flicks have gotten down through the years. Welcome to the boys’ club, girls. Thanks for the yuks. And in terms of R-rated mainstream franchise possibilities and the odds of there being at least one sequel, The Heat is on. Expand
  24. Jun 28, 2013
    It's hard to do another project after having successfully pulling off a big hit. Director Paul Feig doesn't fully fit the envelope in this one, but for sure leaves us something funny to laugh at. This movie is surprisingly funny. Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock somehow manage to work together. The story is typical, but original at the same time. It's a buddy cop movie, but it's aIt's hard to do another project after having successfully pulling off a big hit. Director Paul Feig doesn't fully fit the envelope in this one, but for sure leaves us something funny to laugh at. This movie is surprisingly funny. Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock somehow manage to work together. The story is typical, but original at the same time. It's a buddy cop movie, but it's a female buddy cop movie (Which is what makes it original). There are also some other funny characters, but for sure, Melissa McCarthy (Once Again) steals all her scenes. She really makes this movie work and without here, this movie probably wouldn't have it's funny appeal. Overall, it's a funny female buddy-cop movie. Expand
  25. Jul 10, 2013
    Great "heat" between the two female leads as they learn to bond against type. Two problems keep this from being a really good summer comedy: editing and a villain. As others have noted, scenes go on to long and we're left waiting and wanting to move on. The biggest fault is, however, the lack of a real villain. There's absolutely no heat when we discover oh, that's the villain, andGreat "heat" between the two female leads as they learn to bond against type. Two problems keep this from being a really good summer comedy: editing and a villain. As others have noted, scenes go on to long and we're left waiting and wanting to move on. The biggest fault is, however, the lack of a real villain. There's absolutely no heat when we discover oh, that's the villain, and he's about as interesting (and evil) as a college fraternity boy caught peeping in a sorority house window. What were they thinking??? Expand
  26. Jul 3, 2013
    "The Heat" is a formulaic movie. It’s about two female officers who don’t see eye to eye that have to overcome their differences in order to take down a drug lord. Along the way, they have some misadventures as they discover more about themselves as well as each other. However, the formulaic structure is not an issue as the movie really delivers on the laughs. This movie had me smiling,"The Heat" is a formulaic movie. It’s about two female officers who don’t see eye to eye that have to overcome their differences in order to take down a drug lord. Along the way, they have some misadventures as they discover more about themselves as well as each other. However, the formulaic structure is not an issue as the movie really delivers on the laughs. This movie had me smiling, grinning, giggling, and laughing out loud from beginning to end. There are so many variations of humor from slapstick and situational to awkward and raunchy. The film isn’t short on heart either, but instead of being sappy and melodramatic, a lot of these moments are done brilliantly with some great humor.

The film stars America’s sweetheart Sandra Bullock and comedic gold Melissa McCarthy. Bullock plays Ashburn, a awkward straight faced FBI agent, who puts her job above everything else. She isn’t really funny at first, but when she meets McCarthy’s character her social ineptitude really brings the laughs. McCarthy plays Mullins, a in your face, but passionate Boston officer. From the get go, she really brings the laughs and really sets the movie into motion. These two women have great chemistry together and play off each other very well. McCarthy’s loud character is a great juxtapose to Bullock’s more toned down and awkward character. They have a lot of fun on screen and they make us believe that they had some really great fun making the film as well.

Overall “The Heat" is an incredibly funny film and my personal favorite comedy of the year. The humor is so funny that you don’t mind the formulaic structure of the plot. It’ll have you laughing from beginning to end. The chemistry between Bullock and McCarthy is just pure gold and they bring a lot of life and energy to the movie. Even though this movie focuses mainly on the laughs, it has heart and some really sweet moments between the two leads. I give this film a strong 4/5, a movie where the journey is more important and fun than the destination.
  27. Feb 7, 2015
    Contrived plot and tropes aside, "The Heat" is still an almost continually hilarious buddy cop comedy with crackerjack performances from Bullock and McCarthy.
  28. Jul 7, 2013
    Great movie! I could not stop laughing. I love Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock, they make a great comical pair. The combination of McCarthy's slapstick humor and Bullock's dry sense of humor they could not have gone wrong. If you are looking for deep, serious flick to watch by no means is this the one to watch, however if you are looking for a carefree flick with humor this is the one!Great movie! I could not stop laughing. I love Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock, they make a great comical pair. The combination of McCarthy's slapstick humor and Bullock's dry sense of humor they could not have gone wrong. If you are looking for deep, serious flick to watch by no means is this the one to watch, however if you are looking for a carefree flick with humor this is the one! This movie focuses on the two female characters and how they are looked at negatively from their peers at work. This film shows how "two" people that are not highly respected from their peers, that coming together as a team what they can accomplish. I definitely recommend this film if you are a Bullock and McCarthy fan, I am buying the DVD once it comes out! Expand
  29. Jul 9, 2013
    In terms of plot there's nothing surprising but it's a solid comedy with a definite low brow humor featuring two strong female leads. The setting in Boston is only good for one or two jokes. Michael Rappaport, as always, plays an amazing goofy foil of a younger brother.
  30. Jul 15, 2013
    i find it interesting.. somehow it feels like a little bit the same with Ms Congeniality..

but its really entertaining! i found myself laughing alone, and its really fun.

"hey foster kid, now you have a sister"
  31. Oct 31, 2013
    I'm not really a fan of Sandra Bullock so her presence kept me from seeing this one in the theater and opting to wait until its release on DVD and Blu-Ray. However, I was surprised how well her and Melissa McCarthy did playing off each other and actually making the tired buddy cop comedy something worthy of watching again. Bullock is great as the straight man and the duo worked so wellI'm not really a fan of Sandra Bullock so her presence kept me from seeing this one in the theater and opting to wait until its release on DVD and Blu-Ray. However, I was surprised how well her and Melissa McCarthy did playing off each other and actually making the tired buddy cop comedy something worthy of watching again. Bullock is great as the straight man and the duo worked so well together that it made the film hilarious the entire way through. Yes, the story is a little generic and a "by-the-numbers"/"The Odd Couple"-like in its cliche buddy cop comedy but the humor is anything but run-of-the-mill. Expand
  32. LTR
    Nov 16, 2013
    This is a good duo cop movie. Even though McCarthy cusses to much. The story is good, the jokes are funny and it has a pretty good ending. Overall, it's good fun.
  33. Jun 2, 2014
    The Heat was actually a pretty good buddy cop comedy based solely on the two main actors alone because they pretty much made a movie with a half-assed script enjoyable to watch. Sandra Bullock plays FBI Agent Sarah Ashburn she is rather arrogant and likes to showboat which is why she is despised by her fellow agents, she is sent to Boston to help assist in a crime she soon meets ShannonThe Heat was actually a pretty good buddy cop comedy based solely on the two main actors alone because they pretty much made a movie with a half-assed script enjoyable to watch. Sandra Bullock plays FBI Agent Sarah Ashburn she is rather arrogant and likes to showboat which is why she is despised by her fellow agents, she is sent to Boston to help assist in a crime she soon meets Shannon Mullins a police officer for the Boston Police Department, a violent, foul mouthed officer that will to do anything to get the job done. The actual plot of the film starts about one hour into it and see that's the thing the movie was too long well at least the first half of the movie moved too slow they should cut off 15 minutes and it would have been a good running time but two hours for a movie with a lazy plot no thanks. The dialog exchange between actors was the best part of the movie and pretty much Melissa McCarthy kicked ass at this it seemed like she ad libbed almost all her jokes because they try to hammer every joke in and for some i can see how this could be off putting but i loved it, Sandra Bullock was great as usual but i felt that her character was still a bit safe still though she was a delight to watch. The supporting cast was a hit and miss for me, i didnt care for Marlon Wayans, Taran Killam and John Ross Bowie but i liked Dan Bakkedahl, Michael Rapaport and Bill Burr.

Overall i give it a 7.0
  34. Aug 12, 2013
    Yes, it's predictable in both story and character but Bullock and McCarthy rocked it! Their chemistry is undeniable and both are hilarious in their own right.
  35. Aug 13, 2013
    There's no female comedy partnership like Bullock-McCarthy. I was excited to watch the movie, and the movie did not disappoint. A number of scenes even warranted water-spitting laughs. It tickled me. I love it.
  36. Aug 24, 2013
    One of the best comedy's to come out in recent times. Yes its cheesy, yes its crude. Does that bother me Nope. Sandra and Melissa's onscreen chemistry is sizzling. Perfect foils for one another, and to watch each of them grow through the movie is both hilarious and heart warming. Your jaw will hurt from smiling, and your stomach will be in agony from laughing. A must see.
  37. Oct 20, 2013
    The Heat was a much darker movie than i thought it was going to be. Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy work great together. This movie turned out good but i really wasint expecting that much from it. The Heat is an average movie and a good comedy.
  38. Sep 15, 2014
    The point was to go with a friend and laugh our a**es off. This movie did the trick -- women who out-do the men. That's the kind of story I like to see and H-Wood rarely allows. Great humor, great action and a lot of funny lines. Yes, women can cuss and use foul language too. So what?
  39. Dec 15, 2014
    4/5★ The Heat. Odd couple buddy cop films are a genre done to death. The Heat changes that up by making the cops female and casting two of the funniest and likable actresses in showbiz. Bullock as straight woman to McCarthys wild haired antics proves to make for explosive chemistry. The plot is old and tired but boy is the journey entertaining.
    Verdict: Watch.
  40. Dec 18, 2014
    A remarkably funny comedy with hilarious performances from Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. Unfortunately, though, the movie is brought down a notch by its cliches and pacing issues. Overall, a great comedy. 8/10 (great)
  41. Jun 2, 2015
    This is the most hilarious movie I have ever seen. I was laughing SO hard and Melissa McCarthy's character was very funny. Sandra Bullock was okay in the film. The film was kind of predictable but hilarious through the way.

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Aug 3, 2013
    A good cop/bad cop action comedy with the funniest two-women-above-the-title pairing in memory.
  2. Reviewed by: Emma Johnston
    Jul 19, 2013
    Following the buddy-cop handbook to the letter, The Heat is derivative stuff, but McCarthy gives it the kick it needs to keep rolling along.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
    Jul 10, 2013
    As a buddy-cop movie, The Heat seems almost deliberately generic, with boilerplate plotting carried across with zero panache. It wagers that McCarthy and Bullock’s comic energy will make all the difference—a smart bet, as it happens.