6.5

1. Dec 18, 2014
    A remarkably funny comedy with hilarious performances from Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. Unfortunately, though, the movie is brought down a notch by its cliches and pacing issues. Overall, a great comedy. 8/10 (great)
  2. Dec 15, 2014
    4/5★ The Heat. Odd couple buddy cop films are a genre done to death. The Heat changes that up by making the cops female and casting two of the funniest and likable actresses in showbiz. Bullock as straight woman to McCarthys wild haired antics proves to make for explosive chemistry. The plot is old and tired but boy is the journey entertaining.
    Verdict: Watch.
  3. Sep 15, 2014
    The point was to go with a friend and laugh our a**es off. This movie did the trick -- women who out-do the men. That's the kind of story I like to see and H-Wood rarely allows. Great humor, great action and a lot of funny lines. Yes, women can cuss and use foul language too. So what?
  4. Sep 14, 2014
    The Heat is Paul Feig's follow him to his smash hit comedy, Bridesmaids. The trailers for this film made it look absolutely hysterical, a completely can't miss comedy, but it's extreme raunchiness turns out to be it's worst enemy. When an ambitious FBI agent (Sandra Bullock) is sent to Boston to catch a monster, she sees it as an open and shut case. What she didn't expect was to run into aThe Heat is Paul Feig's follow him to his smash hit comedy, Bridesmaids. The trailers for this film made it look absolutely hysterical, a completely can't miss comedy, but it's extreme raunchiness turns out to be it's worst enemy. When an ambitious FBI agent (Sandra Bullock) is sent to Boston to catch a monster, she sees it as an open and shut case. What she didn't expect was to run into a local detective who is anything but conventional. The background story and case the pair are working on is really terrific and very well written, with just the right amount of comedy, this really could have been the female version of Lethal Weapon. Instead, the Heat goes so far over the top, that by the end it just isn't that funny anymore. Sandra Bullock is terrific, despite playing her usual whiny loner character. When she finally has had enough of McCarthy and snaps, it really is the best part of the whole film. Mellisa McCarthy is the problem here, as she too is playing her usual character, but to a real extreme. I find her to be very funny, but in this film, nothing is serious and every other word out of her mouth is an F bomb. Every time the story really starts to take off and become interesting, she shows up to screw everything up. Don't get me wrong here, this film is much better than some of the other comedies to come out lately, but as it's destine for a sequel, my hope is that they will tune it down a bit. The right line at the right time can really make a film like this and some scenes are hilarious, but the truth is, when the jokes are non-stop and the action is few and far between, it really hurts the film. Lethal Weapon would be the perfect template for a team like this and with the right jokes at the right time, they could find even more success than Glover and Gibson did. Expand
  5. Sep 4, 2014
    Paul Feig's follow-up to Bridesmaids is certainly miles away. Much of The Heat rests upon it's too very funny and gifted actresses. There's a certain magic between Sandra and Melissa--it has us craving for more.
  6. Aug 31, 2014
    Low brow popular entertainment that is totally uninspired. It's basically a series of gags in search of a narrative to contain them. There are indeed some laughs to be had but the comedy is totally uneven, as is the story, and ranges from laugh out loud funny to lame, predictable and offensive. There is also a reliance on profanity and coarseness which is tiresomely juvenile. SandraLow brow popular entertainment that is totally uninspired. It's basically a series of gags in search of a narrative to contain them. There are indeed some laughs to be had but the comedy is totally uneven, as is the story, and ranges from laugh out loud funny to lame, predictable and offensive. There is also a reliance on profanity and coarseness which is tiresomely juvenile. Sandra Bullock works hard, but Melissa McCarthy is beyond the pale with her all too familiar antics again on display. Her character is awful and she is awful. Still, at least she is consistent in her characterisations being despicable and unsavoury in everything in which she appears. Expand
  7. Aug 26, 2014
    This movie was about enjoyable as pulling teeth, deep throating a cactus, showering with a toaster...you get the idea. Save yourself time and plenty of brain cells and just don't see this poor excuse for a movie.
  8. Aug 25, 2014
    This is nothing that great. Sure, mcarthy running around taking down bad guys, spitting out the f word like an agressive spitting cobra is nothing bad, but if its mainly just that, tossed in with a bunch of throw away material, then it is going to be a throwaway film like the heat.
  9. Aug 11, 2014
    Non stop laughs! One of the best comedies ever. You will truly enjoy the movie. It's a must see!! If you need a quick "escape from reality" then take a time out and have some fun!
  10. Jul 1, 2014
    McCathy's continued box office success recalls what a critic once said about the acting of Whoopee Goldberg: an entire nation collectively decides not to hurt someone's feelings.
  11. Jun 26, 2014
    I thought The Heat might be another unfunny buddy cop comedy. But the critics and the audience have raved about the movie so I decided to check it out, and to my surprise, I can see why.

The Heat’s main highlight was its shocking, brash, yet funny humor. I could not stop laughing at what’s going on in the movie. The comedic timing is great. The chemistry of the duo, Melissa McCarthy

The chemistry of the duo, Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock is a bit weird but it worked out for this movie thanks to their comedic talents. You can see that they had fun making the movie on set.

The plot is okay. It seemed cliched with the conflict and the plot twist, though I was shocked about it too but it’s a comedy movie, what do you expect?

The action scenes weren’t that dramatic, but that’s the point.

I never thought I would care about the characters in the movie. I keep cheering for them to solve the crime, which is rare to root for in a movie like this.

If you wanted to laugh for 2 hours, this is the movie you should see. I recommend you should watch it with friends for enhanced entertainment. Would I see it again? Sure, especially with friends around.
  12. Jun 2, 2014
    The Heat was actually a pretty good buddy cop comedy based solely on the two main actors alone because they pretty much made a movie with a half-assed script enjoyable to watch. Sandra Bullock plays FBI Agent Sarah Ashburn she is rather arrogant and likes to showboat which is why she is despised by her fellow agents, she is sent to Boston to help assist in a crime she soon meets ShannonThe Heat was actually a pretty good buddy cop comedy based solely on the two main actors alone because they pretty much made a movie with a half-assed script enjoyable to watch. Sandra Bullock plays FBI Agent Sarah Ashburn she is rather arrogant and likes to showboat which is why she is despised by her fellow agents, she is sent to Boston to help assist in a crime she soon meets Shannon Mullins a police officer for the Boston Police Department, a violent, foul mouthed officer that will to do anything to get the job done. The actual plot of the film starts about one hour into it and see that's the thing the movie was too long well at least the first half of the movie moved too slow they should cut off 15 minutes and it would have been a good running time but two hours for a movie with a lazy plot no thanks. The dialog exchange between actors was the best part of the movie and pretty much Melissa McCarthy kicked ass at this it seemed like she ad libbed almost all her jokes because they try to hammer every joke in and for some i can see how this could be off putting but i loved it, Sandra Bullock was great as usual but i felt that her character was still a bit safe still though she was a delight to watch. The supporting cast was a hit and miss for me, i didnt care for Marlon Wayans, Taran Killam and John Ross Bowie but i liked Dan Bakkedahl, Michael Rapaport and Bill Burr.

Overall i give it a 7.0
  13. May 27, 2014
    Sandy B is back in the saddle as an all-powering comedienne alongside her Oscar-friendly intrepid astronaut in GRAVITY (2013, 9/10), in THE HEAT, she plays Ashburn, an F.B.I. agent, a divorced career woman and even more strait-laced than Grace Hart in MISS CONGENIALITY series, directed by Paul Feig who has brought us the sleeper-hit comedy BRIDESMAIDS (2011, 7/10), which has ricocheted theSandy B is back in the saddle as an all-powering comedienne alongside her Oscar-friendly intrepid astronaut in GRAVITY (2013, 9/10), in THE HEAT, she plays Ashburn, an F.B.I. agent, a divorced career woman and even more strait-laced than Grace Hart in MISS CONGENIALITY series, directed by Paul Feig who has brought us the sleeper-hit comedy BRIDESMAIDS (2011, 7/10), which has ricocheted the scene-stealer Melissa McCarthy onto a rarefied leading actress status in the primarily male-domineering comedy branch, who has successfully discharged a one-two punch in the domestic box-office last year with generous profits, this one and the critics-panned IDENTITY THIEF (2013).

read rest of the review on my blog, google cinema omnivore
  14. May 16, 2014
    As if Melissa McCarthy isn't funny enough, add Sandra Bullock's funniest performance to the mix and you will not stop laughing from start to finish. A great time had by all... Bravo!
  15. Mar 15, 2014
    Melissa Mcarthy is a cursing bad ass which i love i did not look forward in her performance in bridemaids but i did forward in other movies like identity theif .
  16. Feb 16, 2014
    It has to be one of the most amusing raunchy comedies I have ever seen. McCarthy shows no mercy taking on the role of fearless Shannon Mullins, along with Bullock as uptight FBI agent Sarah Ashburn. This comedy will (or should) tickle the fancy of any comedy fan.
  17. Jan 14, 2014
    McCarthy over-acted, she was too edgy and carried on her comedy scenes too long. The story, plot, writing and acting was generally bad. The movie was too long, it was unrealistic and was generally about nothing
  18. Dec 31, 2013
    This is the second movie this year where the majority of the story line is the F word. The lack of creativity and thoughtful script writing is evident.
  19. Dec 19, 2013
    'The Heat' is interesting and at the same time is obvious, you will not die laughing in no time, unless you laugh at anything, but the main pair has a strong connection that carries the film on his back.
  20. Dec 9, 2013
    Comedy is a difficult thing to deliver, and for the most part The Heat is constantly enjoyable and quite funny. However, the story was not all that interesting.
  21. Dec 3, 2013
    I have not laughed so much in a movie since Hangover 1. My jaw was aching and I had a grin on my face for an hour after we left the movie. Such great chemistry/interaction between Bullock and McCarthy. This what a comedy is meant to be.
  22. Nov 23, 2013
    A very funny movie that will bring a lot of laughs. Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock make a perfect comedic team. It's surprisingly crude and downright vulgar at times, proving that these ladies can pull off dirty humor just as well as any male actor can. It's a not stop laugh riot, but it does have some issues that ultimately bring down the experience but do not ruin it.

Admittedly

Admittedly some of the more violent moments here come across as more shocking than I think was intended. Mostly just because it's somewhat awkward to just get done laughing out loud only to see someone get shot in the face. I get that this is a cop movie but the transitions between humor to the more violent moments that this movie can offer can be a little more than awkward at times. Melissa McCarthy's character over-excessive use of profanity can be a little irritating as well. I get the whole tough cop character, but there's a time when all the cursing just becomes a little too much.

Still, I can't tell you how much I laughed throughout this movie. There are so many hilarious moments that you will find yourself quoting with other people who have seen the movie. It proves that women can star in a vulgar and loud comedy just as well as any male actor, and is just a heck of a lot of fun to watch. So if you're looking for a laugh riot of a movie to watch then "The Heat" is for you.
  23. LTR
    Nov 16, 2013
    This is a good duo cop movie. Even though McCarthy cusses to much. The story is good, the jokes are funny and it has a pretty good ending. Overall, it's good fun.
  24. Nov 15, 2013
    A sporadically amusing but very uneven and occasionally grating comedy. I'll get the good out of the way first. The movie does eventually start to pick up comedic steam after a while and comes up with some pretty funny scenes..., eventually. The way in which Bullock and McCarthy are complete polar opposites is the engine behind most of the laughs. However, I'd say the funniestA sporadically amusing but very uneven and occasionally grating comedy. I'll get the good out of the way first. The movie does eventually start to pick up comedic steam after a while and comes up with some pretty funny scenes..., eventually. The way in which Bullock and McCarthy are complete polar opposites is the engine behind most of the laughs. However, I'd say the funniest character in the movie is an always angry, albino policeman. Now here comes the problems. For a while the movie is actually kinda awful. McCarthy's character annoyed me so badly that I just wanted her to get killed off as soon as possible. Needless to say, the screenwriter didn't want her to for some reason. So much time in this movie is wasted on her just dropping F-bombs like there's no tomorrow. F this. F that. Triple F this F, and etc. This is probably the most foul mouthed film I've ever seen. At this point in the game movies should stop doing the buddy cop formula for comedies unless they're so hilarious that no one in their right mind would care. This movie isn't quite funny or consistent enough to dodge that bullet. Actually, that bullet probably hit a main artery. I'd watch the far funnier and more inspired 21 Jump Street instead, which uses meta-humor to criticize its own formula, rather than acting like it's still fresh. Expand
  25. Nov 9, 2013
    The Heat is boring with a drop of funny. But the worst is Melissa McCarthy being abusive, obnoxious, vile, over the top and begins to grow irritating every minute the movie goes by. By the end the entire movie is irritating.
  26. Oct 31, 2013
    I'm not really a fan of Sandra Bullock so her presence kept me from seeing this one in the theater and opting to wait until its release on DVD and Blu-Ray. However, I was surprised how well her and Melissa McCarthy did playing off each other and actually making the tired buddy cop comedy something worthy of watching again. Bullock is great as the straight man and the duo worked so wellI'm not really a fan of Sandra Bullock so her presence kept me from seeing this one in the theater and opting to wait until its release on DVD and Blu-Ray. However, I was surprised how well her and Melissa McCarthy did playing off each other and actually making the tired buddy cop comedy something worthy of watching again. Bullock is great as the straight man and the duo worked so well together that it made the film hilarious the entire way through. Yes, the story is a little generic and a "by-the-numbers"/"The Odd Couple"-like in its cliche buddy cop comedy but the humor is anything but run-of-the-mill. Expand
  27. Oct 28, 2013
    The story is pretty basic but McCarthy and Bullock work well together and are given plenty of chances to win. Quite a few laughs to be had through out as well. That being said, The 2 hour run time really killed this film. If it were shorter, It would have been far more bare-able to watch. Overall, It's not bad, Certainly better than what I expected, but it could and should have been better.
  28. Oct 24, 2013
    The Heat was actually a really funny movie. Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy are both really funny, though McCarthy's character is quite annoying early on. Also, a lot of the humor is a bit over the top so that can get old but a lot of it is still quite funny. I did love the Bill Burr cameo though. Overall, this film isn't for everyone but it provides some laughs and has decent plot andThe Heat was actually a really funny movie. Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy are both really funny, though McCarthy's character is quite annoying early on. Also, a lot of the humor is a bit over the top so that can get old but a lot of it is still quite funny. I did love the Bill Burr cameo though. Overall, this film isn't for everyone but it provides some laughs and has decent plot and character development. Expand
  29. Oct 20, 2013
    Well, you can forget about expecting any kind of plot from this movie. Pretty generic stuff. As for the comedy, there is some chemistry between Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy, but it doesn't make up for the few laughs in this flick. And all the "F" words in the world don't make up for it either.
    Overall, it was okay; but you don't have to see it. You're not really missing anything.
  30. Oct 20, 2013
    The Heat was a much darker movie than i thought it was going to be. Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy work great together. This movie turned out good but i really wasint expecting that much from it. The Heat is an average movie and a good comedy.

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Aug 3, 2013
    A good cop/bad cop action comedy with the funniest two-women-above-the-title pairing in memory.
  2. Reviewed by: Emma Johnston
    Jul 19, 2013
    Following the buddy-cop handbook to the letter, The Heat is derivative stuff, but McCarthy gives it the kick it needs to keep rolling along.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
    Jul 10, 2013
    As a buddy-cop movie, The Heat seems almost deliberately generic, with boilerplate plotting carried across with zero panache. It wagers that McCarthy and Bullock’s comic energy will make all the difference—a smart bet, as it happens.