The Help

7.8

1. Apr 10, 2012
    Sweet Black Angels

Sweet Black Angels

Telling the story of the end of segregation in the American South through black maids in Jackson Miss. makes this film moving, personal and a tad superficial. Much has been made of the patronizing structure-a young white woman, Skeeter, leads the women to contribute to her book -showing the strong, stoic black women as incapable or unwilling to stand up for themselves. Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer give stand out performances as the maids, and wring all the audience sympathy you could imagine. Of course, given that this is a feminist tale, all the men are bastards or invisible, most of the women on the right side of the argument are brave and wonderful, and the women on the wrong side, poor deluded fools. Allison Janey -of West Wing fame- plays Skeeter's mother - the only 3D character in the piece, a genuinely confused character, and is a core part of the story of redemption.

This book and film is really about current US politics. The fight between right (Obama, the first Black President) and wrong (the same Southern fundamentalist racists we see today) is plain to the viewer, and like the historic 1960's battle, the audience is invited to support the right cause.

I liked the film despite its flaws, as I was on the right side of the argument then, and I still am. By the way, though I lived in NY in the sixties, I had a black maid when my mother went back to work in 1961. My own saint, Annabelle (who looked just like Minny) was fired in 1964 for stealing money after drinking a bottle of whiskey she pilfered from our house. I loved her anyway.
  2. Dec 31, 2012
    In my opinion, this is a movie well made. The acting is pretty good, especially from the actresses who played the maids. The movie also gives us a glance at how african americans were treated back in the 1960's, a time where african americans still did not have the rights they deserved. The Help is a movie worth seeing.
  3. Dec 1, 2012
    One of the most inspiring movies I have ever seen. The only flaw is at times bad dialogue, but otherwise, this movie is a must-see and is a true Oscar winner.
  4. Aug 11, 2011
    I can honestly say I thought this movie was going to be incredibly sappy and cheesy, and was not much looking forward to seeing it. While it did tidy-up the plot a bit too neatly towards the end, for the most part it felt surprisingly real, at least within the trappings of the film. You should go into the movie thinking that it is a work of fiction based on a real time period in U.S.I can honestly say I thought this movie was going to be incredibly sappy and cheesy, and was not much looking forward to seeing it. While it did tidy-up the plot a bit too neatly towards the end, for the most part it felt surprisingly real, at least within the trappings of the film. You should go into the movie thinking that it is a work of fiction based on a real time period in U.S. history, and not look for everything to seem absolutely realistic within the context of that actual time period in U.S. history. The acting was superb across the board. This should be the film that makes Octavia Spencer and Jessica Chastain stars; their characters felt like breakout roles for them. This should be the film that makes hearthrobs out Chris Lowell and Mike Vogel, two stunningly gorgeous men who seem to have real acting chops to match. This film should remind us what cinematic treasures Cissy Spacek and Cicely Tyson are. This film shows that Emma Stone and Bryce Dallas Howard have more impressive acting ranges than one might think based on their past work alone. However, the star of this film is Viola Davis, who is deserving of serious Oscar-buzz. Emma Stone may have top-billing for the film, but Ms. Davis's Aibileen Clark is the heart and soul of the film. You laugh with her, you cry with her, you get angry with her. Its one of those rare performances that breaks your heart and at the same time gives your heart hope. It is one of the best performances I have seen in a film in awhile, and should vault Ms. Davis on to the A-List of actresses working today. Besides the performances, the sets, costumes and all other technical aspects of the film seemed stunningly authentic. As I said before, if there is anything to fault this film for, its that the storylines wrap-up a little too neatly at the end. It also may bother some that the Emma Stone character Skeeter leaves for NYC while Minny and Aibileen stay behind in Mississippi, but at least the filmmakers take the time to address that situation in the film, with Minny and Aibileen urging Skeeter to go against her feelings that she is betraying them by leaving them there. In the end, she leaves and Minny and Aibileen are still in Mississippi, still dealing with the harshness of discrimination. Yes, that frankly sucks, but it is probably fairly realistic to that time period, and there is some hope given to Aibileen and Minny at the film's end, hope for a better life with greater dignity. This film was made to be inspiring and uplifting, and it left me with those feelings in spades. Expand
  5. Aug 14, 2011
    t's an entertaining movie for white folk who need to convince themselves that they rise above the trashy white southern women depicted in the film. The black women are noble, and all, but one, white woman is a caricature of southern segregation and divided class. It's another chick flick of the south along the lines of "Steel Magnolias" and "Fried Green Tomatoes." The subject matter: thet's an entertaining movie for white folk who need to convince themselves that they rise above the trashy white southern women depicted in the film. The black women are noble, and all, but one, white woman is a caricature of southern segregation and divided class. It's another chick flick of the south along the lines of "Steel Magnolias" and "Fried Green Tomatoes." The subject matter: the economic enslavement and debasement of poor minority women to a racist elite is a far too serious and shameful part of our history to be taken this frothily. But I guess that like "All In the Family" if it takes comedy to get our history of racism, however briefly, into the consciousness of those too busy to notice then that's what it will take. Expand
  6. Aug 21, 2011
    As usual with book-to-silver-screen adaptations, THE HELP was not quite as good as Kathryn Stockett's novel off which it is based. However, it was very faithful, at times funny, and, like the book, extremely poignant.
  7. Jan 14, 2012
    Every minute while watching The Help, I was constantly surprised. At first, the movie seemed to me a simple story a young woman trying to become a well known writer collecting testimonies of black maids; but is so much under it. There is a society that lives in a perfect but paradoxical situation. This is formed by small families, in which neither of the parents have time to raise theirEvery minute while watching The Help, I was constantly surprised. At first, the movie seemed to me a simple story a young woman trying to become a well known writer collecting testimonies of black maids; but is so much under it. There is a society that lives in a perfect but paradoxical situation. This is formed by small families, in which neither of the parents have time to raise their children, so that job is done by a black maid, which in some cases are treat like a slave. The relation between the housewife and the maid is ruled by an unbreakable protocol; the black employees must use another bathroom than the family, different dishes to eat, not share food or drink with a white person and not touch a white adult because they can spread disease; but, and here is the paradox, they can take care of the children. Another paradox is that the white people treat the blacks as if they were animals, when twenty years ago, they criticized the Germans for their treatment of the Jews. I know that those things are on different levels, but both violet human rights.
    There are two things in the movie that are remarkable: the influence of the society in a single person and how that can make the difference between someone who discriminate black people (in contact with the society) and someone who treats them as equals (isolated from the society). The other thing is a concept, the idea that a small action (gathering stories or telling your own) can mean a big change in human mentality.
    This film deals with issues from different perspectives, but that is only complete with dazzling performances and a strong screenplay.
  8. Jan 16, 2012
    57 yr old white guy. Thought it couldn't be that good. Boy was I wrong. Stayed up late to watch it all. Give the Best Actress award to any of the women. Loved it. Thanks for making it.
  9. Aug 27, 2011
    It was a very good movie that depicted the lives of black maids back during the time of Martin Luther king jr. It shows their rough lives and how a woman plans on publishing a book about their lives and experiences. The black people were treated very inhumanly in those days, sometimes seen as property. This movie did a great job at showing all of this happening. The acting was great, theIt was a very good movie that depicted the lives of black maids back during the time of Martin Luther king jr. It shows their rough lives and how a woman plans on publishing a book about their lives and experiences. The black people were treated very inhumanly in those days, sometimes seen as property. This movie did a great job at showing all of this happening. The acting was great, the history was accurate, and you felt part of their story. The ending was happy and sad, but you enjoyed it the whole time. It had many very funny scenes too!!! Many that you will be repeating for days!!!! Expand
  10. Mar 2, 2012
    I love this film is very interesting, I suppouse that the rhytm can be slow, but this film have a drama part, comedy, is a big film, with an incredible cast. I love The Help.
  11. Jul 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A movie packed with powerful performances by all the actresses. The movie brings out the overly denied message of discrimination; the movie is set in the state of Mississippi, known for its unfair treatment toward the colored people. Skeeter's an aspiring writer who needs one big break to enter the world of writing and decides to write about the unfair treatment of the women in her town, with the help of a domestic maid and as the bigotry exacerbates, more women come forth to narrate their tale of prejudice and wish anonymity. It's an equal mixture of sombre and humor. Octavia Spencer was rightly awarded the Oscar. Expand
  12. Dec 21, 2012
    I like it cause Emma is in it. Haha :D But I think its a great movie. Aight? So.. Yeah.

A great movie. A must watch. I really need to watch this. ugh ^^
  13. Aug 11, 2011
    The trailer really undersells this film. Underneath a seemingly light-hearted shell, the writer and director do an excellent job in infusing a sense of impending doom, danger, and sickness in this little Southern community. It would have been an excellent companion piece to Mississippi Burning. I don't mean to suggest that the film overly intense - it's not. But amidst the humor andThe trailer really undersells this film. Underneath a seemingly light-hearted shell, the writer and director do an excellent job in infusing a sense of impending doom, danger, and sickness in this little Southern community. It would have been an excellent companion piece to Mississippi Burning. I don't mean to suggest that the film overly intense - it's not. But amidst the humor and heart-warming moments is a very "real" sense of the ugliness and inequality of the times which I didn't expect. Octavia Spencer and Viola Davis are incredibly good in this movie, and I'd be shocked if both are not nominated for a bunch of year-end awards. Who would have thought that a movie this rich would have been released in August?? Expand
  14. Nov 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What happens in Mississippi, stays in Mississippi. For the next few weeks, as part of their missing persons investigation involving three civil rights workers, last seen registering black people to vote, Agent Rupert Anderson knows that some tough sledding is in store for he and his younger, somewhat green partner, so to lighten the mood, he sings a KKK rally song, which inspires Agent Alan Ward to complain that he "can do without the cabaret," because the Kennedy boy just doesn't "share [his] sense of humor." In kind, the former redneck sheriff responds, "Sometimes that's all you have left." Later in Alan Parker's "Mississippi Burning", after the church bombings and lynching, you know, your garden variety Klan mischief, Ward asks, "What's wrong with these people?" clearly aghast at the unrelenting and pervasive ugliness of your typical segregated town. Now he understands that the old man never meant to be ha-ha funny. In record time, he reaches the same point of resignation which inspired Rupert to drive past the state limits, so many years ago. "These people crawled out of the sewer Mr. Ward, maybe the gutter is where we should be," yells Anderson, when he tries to convince the principled straight arrow FBI man that the time for diplomacy is over. Being black, Minnie knows the feeling first-hand, so the maid gets down and dirty, just like her enemies, when she decides to fight the power. "The Help", in addition to being lambasted by critics for telling a black story from a white perspective(the same kneejerk reaction that greeted "Mississippi Burning", even though the 1988 film largely transcended its racially-condescending narrative trappings, unlike other movies of its ilk, such as "Ghosts of Mississippi" and "The Long Walk Home"), the detractors also balk at its comedic moments. True enough, Jim Crow is nothing to laugh about, but, to reiterate Anderson's sentiment, "sometimes that's all you have left," therefore the maids laugh so as not to cry, the same defense mechanism which the filmmaker, and also, the audience uses to combat the horrors of institutionalized racism. So while the maids conspire in the kitchen against their white employers by laughing at Hilly's practice of "puttin' pencil marks on the toilet paper," it's only because Minnie chooses to put on a brave face for her best friend Aibileen. Like Agent Anderson, they laugh out of resignation. In the face of such abject humiliation, what other choice does the maid have? If she cries about it, then Hilly Holbrook, the housewife-turned-reactionary social activist who drums up neighborhood support for separate toilets, comes out the victor in the whole "coloreds only" bathroom dialogue. Worse still, were Minnie to get mad about the employer-enforced ban on having access to the indoor facilities, she'd probably end up in prison, just like Sofia in "The Color Purple", when the outspoken "Negro" insults the mayor's wife, and then for good measure, knocks out her husband. A person of color simply can't attack racism in that fashion. Agent Anderson can. because he's white, and in the barber shop scene from the Parker film, he does, purposely nicking Clinton with a straight-edge razor, before shoving the deputy's face against the mirror, and through gritted teeth, says, "You got a stupid smile, you know that, pal?" which is to say that the sheriff's right-hand man has a s*it-eating grin. Since Minnie's arsenal for revenge precludes any sort of physical contact with her employer(conversely, the FBI agent was just getting warmed up; he ends up tossing Clinton around the shop like a ragdoll), not without some serious repercussions, so "The Help" employs the maid with the next-best available weapon: comedy, in order to settle an old score, while at the same time, maintaining her status as a free woman. Given that the social context is segregated Mississippi, and not swinging London(the setting for "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me"), where eating s*it has a chance of being funny, the chocolate pie which Minnie laces with her own feces, in a sense, acts as a performative violence, and not the puerile hijinks that the film's critics purport it to be. This is not a gross-out comedy, after all; it's a gross-out drama, in which the grotesquerie masterminded by the subjugated black female can't begin to match the grotesquerie of the racist milieu that she is powerless to overcome. To be fair, the critics have a legitimate gripe, in regard to the writer as being another example of the trope familiar to this genre: the white savior who is going to save black mankind, but unlike "To Kill a Mockingbird", where the film is told through Scout's eyes, the narrative belongs, not to Skeeter, but to Aibileen. "The Help" ends with the suggestion that the maid will write a book of her own. "The Invisible Woman", perhaps, an answer to the 1952 National Book Award-winning novel by Ralph Ellison. Expand
  15. Aug 15, 2011
    The good performances outweigh the flaws in this film. All the main character performances are excellent. The rest of the cast are interchangeable bigoted caricatures, which gives the film a feeling of unrealism at times. My mother was born and raised in Mississippi and I can tell you not all southerners felt the way the bigots in this film do, although watching this film you wouldn'tThe good performances outweigh the flaws in this film. All the main character performances are excellent. The rest of the cast are interchangeable bigoted caricatures, which gives the film a feeling of unrealism at times. My mother was born and raised in Mississippi and I can tell you not all southerners felt the way the bigots in this film do, although watching this film you wouldn't know that. It would have been nice to have one or two more women, other than Skeeter (the main character), rebel against these atrocities. I thought they were going to do that with the Celia character but she never really develops enough. Still, the acting is great and you really feel for these people and root for them. This is the kind of movie that Oscars love. I just hope they don't forget Bryce Dallas Howard's fantastic performance as the hateful bigot, she was fantastic. Many times the hateful people in films get ignored at Oscar time. Lastly, if you are into interior design you will enjoy looking at the 1960s designs of the home's interiors. They did a great job of set design. It's kind of funny looking at the cars because they are all pristine! Since they had to use restored cars from that time period there isn't a speck of dust on them! Expand
  16. Sep 4, 2011
    My wife grew up in the south and wanted to see this movie. Not excited to be there, I expected it to be melodramatic and unmoving. The story is all too real even if the characters are fictional. The acting is excellent. It is the story of real courage in difficult times. Even if as predictable as Titanic, it is well done and worth seeing.
  17. Jan 28, 2012
    Really good movie, great acting, really recommend it. In other news, I am pretty sure that in 40 years or less there will be a movie similar to this, maybe titled The Friends, but centred on gays. Humans never learn.
  18. Mar 3, 2014
    I love this **** ****sjdjdjrfhffbggbvbfhfhvhfhfhfhfhfhdurjrrurururrurutytytydkapalsiekwaka
    Dpddldldkffkkfjfjvnggnbnbmvmdkc djdjfmvjffjhf fufhffhfhfjjddjdjdjjf
  19. BKM
    Feb 20, 2012
    The Help is a crowd pleasing bit of fluff that doesn't really dig dip into the true ugliness, pain and complexity of the race issue. However, it still works thanks to the excellent performances by the entire cast. Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas Howard and Jessica Chastain are especially good. But say what you will about whether or not the film portrays the issue of race accurately andThe Help is a crowd pleasing bit of fluff that doesn't really dig dip into the true ugliness, pain and complexity of the race issue. However, it still works thanks to the excellent performances by the entire cast. Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas Howard and Jessica Chastain are especially good. But say what you will about whether or not the film portrays the issue of race accurately and honestly, it still wins you over with its enormous heart. Expand
  20. Nov 20, 2011
    I'm only contributing because of the inane responses by some "viewers." Too many people have already lauded this excellent movie for me to add much of substance. I was deeply disturbed by the movie and the inhumane manner in which so many whites treated their black employees. For the Nashville dude who wonders - "this movie's too hard to understand," it's about racism buddy, u know theI'm only contributing because of the inane responses by some "viewers." Too many people have already lauded this excellent movie for me to add much of substance. I was deeply disturbed by the movie and the inhumane manner in which so many whites treated their black employees. For the Nashville dude who wonders - "this movie's too hard to understand," it's about racism buddy, u know the South. And for the other dude who says we know all this already, it needs to be repeated over and over - this is how Americans treated other Americans because of their skin color! A great movie. Expand
  21. Sep 30, 2011
    Admirable effort but I'm not sure it lived up to all the hype. I'm a pushover for a tear jerker but was never moved to that point. The characters (both white and black) may have been authentic to the early sixties but having not lived through those time they felt sort of cartoonish and unbelievable to me. I hope for a day when stories of racial prejudice aren't entertaining because we canAdmirable effort but I'm not sure it lived up to all the hype. I'm a pushover for a tear jerker but was never moved to that point. The characters (both white and black) may have been authentic to the early sixties but having not lived through those time they felt sort of cartoonish and unbelievable to me. I hope for a day when stories of racial prejudice aren't entertaining because we can no longer relate to them. Expand
  22. Aug 13, 2011
    While I have not read the book and was frankly a little scared I was walking into another Steel Magnolias (one of the worst movies ever made), I walked out surprisingly pleased and entertained with an enjoyable story, talented acting and characters worth caring about. Follow up discussion with those who have read the book, I learned it was pretty true to the book, but the parts thatWhile I have not read the book and was frankly a little scared I was walking into another Steel Magnolias (one of the worst movies ever made), I walked out surprisingly pleased and entertained with an enjoyable story, talented acting and characters worth caring about. Follow up discussion with those who have read the book, I learned it was pretty true to the book, but the parts that bothered me as a viewer, such as the lack of depth around Celia's past, a deeper understanding of Minnie's abusive marriage, etc. are all told in a more detailed way in the book. However, those who have not read the book will still find this movie rich enough in story and an emotional connection to the characters to enjoy this film beginning-to-end. Expand
  23. Mar 17, 2012
    A heartfelt and moving story with terrific performances which deservedly won the best ensemble award in the Screen Actors Guild awards. The subject matter might be tough but the script is intelligently written and with good use of humour, so it does not feel heavy.
  24. Aug 15, 2011
    A journalism graduate (Emma Stone) decides to write a book from the POV of black maids in her 60s Mississippi town. The story alternates between her upscale friends (who practice an embedded type of genteel racism) and the maids (who quietly suffer the indignities). The performances are all-around exceptional, but Viola Davis' subtle torment is a surefire award winner. The gorgeous periodA journalism graduate (Emma Stone) decides to write a book from the POV of black maids in her 60s Mississippi town. The story alternates between her upscale friends (who practice an embedded type of genteel racism) and the maids (who quietly suffer the indignities). The performances are all-around exceptional, but Viola Davis' subtle torment is a surefire award winner. The gorgeous period styling and assured direction also contribute to this Oscar magnet: a funny, warm and powerful cinematic classic. Expand
  25. Aug 12, 2011
    Having been a young man during the period the movie is set in, and having an ancestor who served as a major in Union Army during the Civil War; I was pleased to see this wonderfully acted movie dealing with the day to day struggles of good and honest people caught up in a racist discriminatory system that was an affront to all Americans, black and white. The movie paints a poignant andHaving been a young man during the period the movie is set in, and having an ancestor who served as a major in Union Army during the Civil War; I was pleased to see this wonderfully acted movie dealing with the day to day struggles of good and honest people caught up in a racist discriminatory system that was an affront to all Americans, black and white. The movie paints a poignant and powerful picture of the evils that bigotry and racism create in even otherwise good people. The Help is deserving of a wide audience, and hopefully will receive Academy Award recognition. Certainly Ms. Octavia Spencer deserves to be recognized twice... once for her exceptional acting, and once for her culinary skills. Expand
  26. Aug 26, 2011
    Emma Stone plays Skeeter, a young women who writes a book about the lives of the black maids, who had been treated awfully, in order to help them by expressing their point of view threw the book. I haven't heard of '' The Help '', until a day before it was released, so I didn't had any intention to see it at first. I gave it a chance, and it was a wonderful movie. This might be nominatedEmma Stone plays Skeeter, a young women who writes a book about the lives of the black maids, who had been treated awfully, in order to help them by expressing their point of view threw the book. I haven't heard of '' The Help '', until a day before it was released, so I didn't had any intention to see it at first. I gave it a chance, and it was a wonderful movie. This might be nominated for best motion picture of the year. The story really captivated me, and you could feel anger for the white people who mistreated black people. That's just not right. Also, in some scenes, the humor was at the right time, which was hilarious. The movie is 145 minutes long (2 hours and 25 minutes), but the plot is so interesting, that you don't feel like it's never going to end. There was this funny scene when Minny Jackson (played by Octavia Spencer) totally owned Hilly Holbrook (played by Bryce Dallas Howard). You will find out when you will see it. Everybody did a great job in their performance. It's a surprisingly good movie, one of the best this year. Expand
  27. Nov 30, 2011
    Moving, realistic, funny, very well crafted, great story I loved, Viola, Spencer and Chestain spectacular, also the cast that made this movie was a charm.
  28. Oct 1, 2011
    This was the most amazingly wonderful movie. I had been avoiding it because I thought it was going to be a depressing downer but I am now so glad that I went to see it. We need to be reminded that there are everyday incredible heroes that are the reason that we slowly make this world a better place. The acting was awesome, Octavia Spencer and Viola Davis were great as were Emma Stone andThis was the most amazingly wonderful movie. I had been avoiding it because I thought it was going to be a depressing downer but I am now so glad that I went to see it. We need to be reminded that there are everyday incredible heroes that are the reason that we slowly make this world a better place. The acting was awesome, Octavia Spencer and Viola Davis were great as were Emma Stone and Bryce Dallas Howard. Direction was splendid. This movie drew me in and kept me there. Wonderful. Expand
  29. Apr 7, 2012
    I wasn't sure what to expect going into this movie, I really didn't know anything about it other than it was called The Help, that Emma Stone was in it, and it had something to do with maids, and for some inexplicable reason I though it was going to be a comedy, don't ask me why I just thought it was going to be one, don't get me wrong it has it's funny moments but it's a drama first, andI wasn't sure what to expect going into this movie, I really didn't know anything about it other than it was called The Help, that Emma Stone was in it, and it had something to do with maids, and for some inexplicable reason I though it was going to be a comedy, don't ask me why I just thought it was going to be one, don't get me wrong it has it's funny moments but it's a drama first, and a really good one, honestly the movie is done in such good taste, it doesn't favor one side over another as it shows the good and bad things that both did (seriously the pie thing was pretty bad, funny but bad), it's sweet, funny, and emotional, with fantastic acting and writing you'll find yourself loving the characters with all of your heart, and I 100% believe that this movie should get a perfect 10/10 from me, it truly stands out among other movies as an exceptional experience, movies like this are rare, it shows you that something beautiful can come from an ugly experience, that love can come from hate, that we are all equal and deserved to be treated as such, and that if we are willing to open our hearts to one another and drop our hatred the world can be a much better place, and for that, for doing what few other movies want to do, I give it a 10, and recommend it to all, a must watch. Expand
  30. ksb
    Aug 13, 2011
    I just walked away from this movie this afternoon thinking, "wow." It's probably not historically accurate, but the story and the acting were powerful. What a wonderful cast. It was laugh out funny at times, made me cry once, and was a honest and heartbreaking view into the lives of people in the year and location (1960's in Mississippi) from their perspective. There are at least twoI just walked away from this movie this afternoon thinking, "wow." It's probably not historically accurate, but the story and the acting were powerful. What a wonderful cast. It was laugh out funny at times, made me cry once, and was a honest and heartbreaking view into the lives of people in the year and location (1960's in Mississippi) from their perspective. There are at least two actresses who deserve Oscar nominations from this movie, maybe more. I highly recommend this movie. Expand
  31. Aug 10, 2011
    A contender for an Oscar as the best picture of the year. Drama, comedy, heart-break, the ugliness of segregation, this film has it all. Viola Davis gives an award winning performance. A not to be missed film that will leave you with a lasting impression.
  32. Sep 8, 2011
    The Help is at once a joy to watch for its absorbing yet haunting story and for the superior acting by Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer. On the other hand, it is nauseating at times to suffer through the scenes of outright cruelty perpetrated by the white women of the south in the early 1960s. It is one thing to read about Jim Crow in a book or listen to an old person nowadays discussingThe Help is at once a joy to watch for its absorbing yet haunting story and for the superior acting by Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer. On the other hand, it is nauseating at times to suffer through the scenes of outright cruelty perpetrated by the white women of the south in the early 1960s. It is one thing to read about Jim Crow in a book or listen to an old person nowadays discussing what it was like, but to see reenactments of just how dehumanizing and vindictive the times were is just unsettling. This is an important story, fictional yes, but representative of a time and a place which reminds the audience just how ashamed we should be at aspects of our past.

A few decades ago in the south, it was commonplace for a white family to employ a black maid. Maid is an all encompassing term for house cleaner, cook, nanny, grocery shopper, butler, and every other menial task you could think of. They potty trained the toddlers, read them stories, and pretty much raised the children instead of their mothers who were enjoying that afternoonâ
  33. Aug 31, 2011
    I loved this movie, I think it portrays a very important time, that wasn't so long ago. The cast is pitch perfect, and it is a well executed all around film.
  34. Jan 25, 2012
    Pleasant film. Great work by Chastain, Spencer, and Spacek. Viola Davis is fine and Emma Stone is a bit boring. Adaption of the work for film is done well. Technical aspects are good.
  35. Dec 17, 2011
    A powerful film......difficult to watch at times, but it all rings true and painful. The performances are all top-notch with Davis offering the most truthful one. This film is really nothing new, but it still makes for a good story and sends a good-hearted message. It was easily worth the price of a rental!
  36. May 26, 2012
    A great film that truly excelled in its simple 60's suburban-like story, great & believable acting and the mood of the film which gets deeper and deeper as the movie goes by. A film that has the whole package.............
  37. Aug 29, 2011
    I enjoyed this movie although I never read the book I still went to go see it and I thought this movie was good it showed that emma stone can other movies that are not comedy over all it was great movie.
  38. Oct 13, 2011
    Finally saw this movie the other day after it being in my theater for over 2 months. Everybody whose ever walked out of this movie is always pleased and tells me how great of a movie it was, and some even say its been their 4th or 5th time seeing it! I had the same reaction. I walked out of this movie very pleased indeed. It was veryy good, excellent performances all around from everybodyFinally saw this movie the other day after it being in my theater for over 2 months. Everybody whose ever walked out of this movie is always pleased and tells me how great of a movie it was, and some even say its been their 4th or 5th time seeing it! I had the same reaction. I walked out of this movie very pleased indeed. It was veryy good, excellent performances all around from everybody in the film. Emma Stone is becoming a phenomenal actress. Don't shy away from the lenghty running time, you don't even realize you've been in the theater for 2.5 hours. It's the opposite of a movie that makes you give constant double takes at your phone, you will be engaged, interested, and you will fall deep into the story and the emotions of the characters. Fantastic movie based of a fantastic story. 9.5/10 Expand
  39. Aug 13, 2011
    The Help may be a little to long for some viewers but for the ones that stay emotionally invested in its interesting story line it more then pays off. The strongest performance by Emma Stone in her young career, thats not the shocking part; she is out shined by performances from Bryce Dallas Howard and Octavia Spencer. These actors in my mind are deadlocked as nominees for SupportingThe Help may be a little to long for some viewers but for the ones that stay emotionally invested in its interesting story line it more then pays off. The strongest performance by Emma Stone in her young career, thats not the shocking part; she is out shined by performances from Bryce Dallas Howard and Octavia Spencer. These actors in my mind are deadlocked as nominees for Supporting Actress of the year. This is my second pick for for motion picture of the year! Expand
  40. Jan 9, 2012
    Sweet, momentous, and sometimes pretentious, this film has almost nothing wrong with it. It's like that sweet homemade dish that isn't your favorite, but when you look back on it, it has nothing wrong with it at all. Exceptional acting, deserving awards in every corner of the cast, emotion, drive, importance, and some spices of tears and some spices of comedy. it's one of those specialSweet, momentous, and sometimes pretentious, this film has almost nothing wrong with it. It's like that sweet homemade dish that isn't your favorite, but when you look back on it, it has nothing wrong with it at all. Exceptional acting, deserving awards in every corner of the cast, emotion, drive, importance, and some spices of tears and some spices of comedy. it's one of those special movies that will definitely make you laugh, and definitely make you cry. Most importantly, though, it will definitely make you care. And that's what this film succeeds in doing. It puts you in the shoes of Skeeter and makes you feel painfully for the undermined and underprivileged blacks in 1960 Jackson, Mississippi. Definitely a keeper. Expand
  41. Aug 11, 2011
    As a Jacksonian, I wondered if the movie would remotely compare to the novel. I was extremely pleased to find an incredible cast who was obviously passionate about the project. The accents were spot-on instead of the usual Hollywood mangled twang that might as well be nails on a chalkboard to a Southerner. The historical accuracy is extremely well-done and I felt right at home in theAs a Jacksonian, I wondered if the movie would remotely compare to the novel. I was extremely pleased to find an incredible cast who was obviously passionate about the project. The accents were spot-on instead of the usual Hollywood mangled twang that might as well be nails on a chalkboard to a Southerner. The historical accuracy is extremely well-done and I felt right at home in the setting - I should since I live in the neighborhood in which the story takes place! I Each actress brought her character to amazing life and I haven't seen such performances since a classic like Steel Magnolias. If you don't shed a tear or two amidst your laughter, then have your emotional machinery checked. Brava, ladies - you did an incredible job! Expand
  42. Aug 14, 2011
    I just watched to movie this afternoon with a friend that had also read the book. We were both in high school during the early 60ths, but in CA. This movie and its content was so impressive. The theater goes applauded at the end. It deviates from the book only by not giving so much detail, but the message is there beautifully.
  43. Dec 23, 2011
    Though it doesn't go deep on its polemic themes to makes this story a shocking, intense one, "The Help" stars an amazing ensemble cast whose charismatic performances are enough to glow even the toughest-heart.
  44. Aug 27, 2011
    This is so far the best movie of the year. This film has the best cast of any film since "Inception". Viola Davis, of course, stands out as the best, but so does her best friend, Minnie, played by Octavia Spencer. While people focus on these two, there are many others who are ignored. Allison Janney delivers her trademark comedic but stern performance, Cicely Tyson is great but short,This is so far the best movie of the year. This film has the best cast of any film since "Inception". Viola Davis, of course, stands out as the best, but so does her best friend, Minnie, played by Octavia Spencer. While people focus on these two, there are many others who are ignored. Allison Janney delivers her trademark comedic but stern performance, Cicely Tyson is great but short, Jessica Chastain gives the best dumb blonde ever, and Bryce Dallas Howard is wicked and shocking. But Emma Stone gives the second best performance of the movie, who is like a pre-tabloid Lindsay Lohan mixed with Julia Roberts. Her wits, charm, and dialogue are what makes her a beacon in a dark movie. Besides the cast, the writing, art direction, cinematography, costumes, and makeup are highlights. I also loved the ending song, which should be nominated for an Oscar. Possibly the best drama film I've seen. Period. Expand
  45. Aug 28, 2011
    This movie was simply GREAT! My grandmothers, aunts, and mother all did housework for whites in the South during this period. This film really showed me how degrading this work could be, literally a step up from slavery. No one ever viewed it from their perspective. It was a tearjerker, but still funny. It was excellently paced and superbly acted. If you can't get out of your ownThis movie was simply GREAT! My grandmothers, aunts, and mother all did housework for whites in the South during this period. This film really showed me how degrading this work could be, literally a step up from slavery. No one ever viewed it from their perspective. It was a tearjerker, but still funny. It was excellently paced and superbly acted. If you can't get out of your own life for 1.5 hours, and appreciate another's struggles and victories then this is not the film for you. Those people who sell this movie short really disappoint me, because I have seen many, many movies and consider myself to have "high brow" tastes, but was so pleasantly surprised by the quality of this movie. This is literally the best movie out there right now, especially if you are tired of Hollywood summer blockbusters (I know that I sure am). Expand
  46. Aug 29, 2011
    I remember the "help" when I was a boy in PA. They were the most important individuals back then, because the raised us. We foolishly looked down on then and teased them, but we knew they loved us. This movie is their story. It's low keyed but passionate.
  47. Sep 1, 2011
    To me this is one of those movies that is just off of being really good, but it is just missing a few little pieces that would make it special. It was still an enjoyable couple of hours considering the other movies in local theatres right now.
  48. Aug 12, 2012
    I absolutely loved this movie, i thought it was a really emotional, at times heart breaking, it was funny and exceptionally acted! This movie is brilliant throughout although maybe a little slow theres enough humour to keep you interested!Its a powerful story about a white woman clearly influenced by her own experiences with The Help that she decides to write a story, or a true account ofI absolutely loved this movie, i thought it was a really emotional, at times heart breaking, it was funny and exceptionally acted! This movie is brilliant throughout although maybe a little slow theres enough humour to keep you interested!Its a powerful story about a white woman clearly influenced by her own experiences with The Help that she decides to write a story, or a true account of collections straight from The Helps mouths!It truly is a fantastic movie it is brilliant and i loved every minute of it ! Expand
  49. Sep 12, 2011
    Rent-it - This racially hyper film about some extraordinary women in Mississippi during the 1960s is carried by its talented cast who make it a touching and satisfactory drama.
  50. Sep 19, 2011
    This was a beautifully filmed period drama that will be nominated, but won't win, for the Best Picture Oscar. The acting category, on the other hand, is a different story. Viola Davis gives the performance of a lifetime, and she deserves to win an Oscar. Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain, and Bryce Dallas Howard also give very strong performances in this slightly tedious and lengthy film. AThis was a beautifully filmed period drama that will be nominated, but won't win, for the Best Picture Oscar. The acting category, on the other hand, is a different story. Viola Davis gives the performance of a lifetime, and she deserves to win an Oscar. Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain, and Bryce Dallas Howard also give very strong performances in this slightly tedious and lengthy film. A bit of trimming would have helped the pace tremendously. Expand
  51. Oct 27, 2011
    I cannot understand who doesn't love this movie ! It was amazing. That's literally the only work to describe it. Great adaptation from the book, and the actresses didn't disappoint at all! Funny, charming, sad, rage inducing, hilarious, and moments that make tear up, it's the perfect movie about racism in the south. Truly amazing. I'm not a crier, but i bawled at the ending. LOVED it.I cannot understand who doesn't love this movie ! It was amazing. That's literally the only work to describe it. Great adaptation from the book, and the actresses didn't disappoint at all! Funny, charming, sad, rage inducing, hilarious, and moments that make tear up, it's the perfect movie about racism in the south. Truly amazing. I'm not a crier, but i bawled at the ending. LOVED it. LOVELOVELOVE. Expand
  52. May 30, 2013
    Yes, it is a little cheesy and sappy at times with some dodgy southern accents and some unexplained plot-points, but nevertheless, The Help is a great film adaptation that is realistic and has committed performances from its cast members, especially Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas Howard and Jessica Chastain.
  53. Dec 10, 2011
    Surely, this will be among the bests for this year and of the decade. Great acting from the cast--perfect ensemble. Great story, great screenplay. Looks like this will be one of the front-runners in the 2012 Oscars.

movienotesbook.blogspot.com
  54. Jan 27, 2012
    "The Help" is quite extraordinary in how it deals with delicate issues like race relations in the 1950's. The acting is just about near perfect with standouts including maids Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and the town racist Bryce Dallas Howard. The musical score is delightful and the costumes stay true to the decade in question. The dialog can be somewhat corny at times but one minor"The Help" is quite extraordinary in how it deals with delicate issues like race relations in the 1950's. The acting is just about near perfect with standouts including maids Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and the town racist Bryce Dallas Howard. The musical score is delightful and the costumes stay true to the decade in question. The dialog can be somewhat corny at times but one minor blemish(s) on an otherwise perfect film is fantastic. I had high expectations before I saw this feature but the final outcome has blown me away. Expand
  55. Oct 22, 2013
    While its subject is the division that changed an era way back in the sixties, 'The Help' manages to offer a safe and optimistic tale out of a difficult and testing time in American history. The film has centred itself around the African-American maids predominantly working in Jackson, Mississippi as they carefully detail their day to day lives working for the white women of the town, theyWhile its subject is the division that changed an era way back in the sixties, 'The Help' manages to offer a safe and optimistic tale out of a difficult and testing time in American history. The film has centred itself around the African-American maids predominantly working in Jackson, Mississippi as they carefully detail their day to day lives working for the white women of the town, they do so through the energetic and openness of Skeeter Phelan (Emma Stone), who sets out to write a book anonymously to highlight the situations these women endure. This is a definitely a safe film, and while does tend to only touch on some of the ugly and chaotic times of the era, it also seems like this was intentional, instead offering the good that can come out a situation such as this, it is willing to show great emotion while also keeping themes arms length, it delves and paddles its feet slightly on racial abuse but never plunges too deep. Skeeter sets her sights on two maids to begin her book, her backstory showing that she has difficulty fitting into the society she once lived in, these two maids are Aibileen Clark (Viola Davis) and Minny Jackson (Octavia Spencer). As wonderful an actress as Emma Stone is, the film belongs to these tow characters, they could have easily won out the entire show on their own.
    The former is really the centre of the story, as she is the first to speak to Skeeter, we are immediately shown the life she leads as she raises the young children of the family she works for, and watches them grow up to be exactly the way their mothers are, We can see from the excellent performance of Davis that Aibileen is tired of being treated like a pet, the leader of the ladies in the social circle is Hilly (Bryce Dallas Howard) is the snake of the town, campaigning behind a smile to have separate bathrooms for the maids so as they don't use their own, Minny is the comic relief and hearty force of the film, as she is fired by Hilly and in turn goes to work for the outcast of this social circle, Celia Foot (Jessica Chastain), who treats Minny as an equal, albeit with quite the quirky and unhinged personality to go along with her generosity. Each one of the characters immediately invite us into their lives, Aibileen struggles with a previous tragedy that eventually drives her to talk to Skeeter, considering the risks involved in speaking ill of their employers, bug they aren't always doing that, there are plenty of happy memories, especially Skeeter and her family maid Constantine, a story which also holds a touching and heartbreaking premise. The excellent performances of Davis and Spencer are the hallmarks of this colourful and vibrant setting, it's short on make roles but never feels overly feminine, instead choosing to (inadvertently) have Aibileen as the centrepiece of the show, with Chastains character and the story of Skeeters maid taking a smaller but equally touching subplot. This is happy and moving film that can be a little rough around the edges with some devices belonging in a different film, but the performances of Davis and Spencer are of the highest order, their characters each have a life outside of their jobs which feature prominently but don't overshadow their desire for change, it's a different sort of take on a cruel and often tragic era in history, one which doesn't cover all the holes but certainly fills the relevant ones with humour and heartfelt decency.
  56. Feb 23, 2013
    Yesterday, I had a 3 hour break in-between classes, and a free movie on my AMC Stubbs card, so I went to the movies. Unbelievably the only thing playing at my time was one of the movies I didn't want to see, The Help. Isn't it funny how the movie you never want to see always turns out to be great? The Help is based on a book by the same title, and follows a young writer, in the mid 1960s,Yesterday, I had a 3 hour break in-between classes, and a free movie on my AMC Stubbs card, so I went to the movies. Unbelievably the only thing playing at my time was one of the movies I didn't want to see, The Help. Isn't it funny how the movie you never want to see always turns out to be great? The Help is based on a book by the same title, and follows a young writer, in the mid 1960s, looking for an idea. At a party, she notices how horrible people are to the African American help and decides to write their story. Of course it's a scandalous idea that can get them all killed, but Skeeter finds one woman brave enough to tell her story. This movie is funny, heartwarming, and inspirational, not to mention the acting is top notch. Viola Davis deserves an Oscar nomination for her performance, which is one of the strongest I've seen all year. The Help is an amazing story, with a terrific cast, and a big upside. It has a unique and inspiring story that takes us back to a very tumultuous time in American History, and I can't recommend it enough! Expand
  57. Jan 4, 2012
    This movie was so enjoyable. From the rich characters (both good and evil), the writing and pretty sets and costumes. This story could have easily devolved into sappy schlock, but I think for the most part it felt genuine. Of all the female centered stories of the South, this is one of the better movies to have come along in a long time.
  58. Jan 29, 2012
    This four Oscar-nominated film has finally set ashore here in the theater and is destined to be a gratifying crowd-pleaser. It is a resourceful reference to the color discrimination period almost 50 years ago in USA. The film is able to find its resonance elsewhere in the world painlessly, even for a Chinese like myself, discrimination is commonplace among human societies, and we can allThis four Oscar-nominated film has finally set ashore here in the theater and is destined to be a gratifying crowd-pleaser. It is a resourceful reference to the color discrimination period almost 50 years ago in USA. The film is able to find its resonance elsewhere in the world painlessly, even for a Chinese like myself, discrimination is commonplace among human societies, and we can all empathize with the characters and enjoy the theatrical conflict with some well-infilled satisfaction after a lengthy 150 minutes. From director/writer Tate Taylor (who has a supporting role in another Oscar-favorite WINTER'S BONE 2010), THE HELP interweaves a lively portrait of the bitterness and felicity of the lives of black helps, through a young white girl's intervention to harness their stories as the source materials for her book. Maybe one can argue that all the twist-and-turn is too hoary for the audience in the 21st century, but propped by an all-out effort from a superb cast, the film miraculously enjoyable and the epiphany comes with a perfect tempo, arguably a supporting role, Viola Davis demos a tenacious mojo on screen and her emotional flare-up is wondrous to watch, Octavia, Bryce, Jessica are among the elites of the nearly all-female supporting groups (Viola and Octavia is my current win in the leading and supporting actress respectively), and old hands like Allison, Sissy, Cicely and Mary also showcase their meticulous scene-stealer dexterity. All these accompaniments has induced that Emma Stoneâ Expand
  59. Feb 8, 2012
    Amazing film with a very talented cast. It deserves all the nomination it has and the awards it has won. By far, the best movie of 2011 I've seen. A must-watch.
  60. Feb 8, 2012
    I'm 14 years old, I'm the only one of my friends that appreciate this kind of movie. But when I saw this film with my friends at the cinema, everyone was in love. We thought that was meaningful and talks about a good argument, it was funny, interesting and dramatic at the same time. And it wasn't slow or heavy. But I think that the film can't have a Oscar for Best Movie. Maybe for bestI'm 14 years old, I'm the only one of my friends that appreciate this kind of movie. But when I saw this film with my friends at the cinema, everyone was in love. We thought that was meaningful and talks about a good argument, it was funny, interesting and dramatic at the same time. And it wasn't slow or heavy. But I think that the film can't have a Oscar for Best Movie. Maybe for best actress or/and for best supporting actress. I enjoyed this film so much, I liked all the actors. Even the "villains". Howard's character was detestable but her interpretation was brilliant. Also the drama of Viola Davis and the comedy of Octavia Spencer was amazing. The only thing that I think was not so clever was the cake thing, but it didn't change anything in my opinion. Expand
  61. Feb 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OUTSTANDING, indeed it is. I am really not a fan of books taken into the silver screen but this sure got me really interested getting my own copy, the story of jews and black slavery of course will always be a sure hit and stories such as these will just have to have a different dress to wear and this one got the best gown indeed, formula: experience~ but of course will never fail you, the concept of real narration from the maids made it so warm and heart breaking that their own experiences in each house hold will definitely pinch your heart as the story goes on, I did cry for like every sob story told and how depressing life could have been if I were in the position of those oppressed, everybody would be able to relate to this for each one of us may have experienced a situation when being you, yourself ~seems to be a big problem for you to run a smooth life. I appreciated the humor and positivity that the black people have, they were in fact a shot of life, a breathe of fresh air with all those white trashy principles of "perfection" that bombard them, the blacks in this picture were framed beautifully that I saw how special and unique their personalities are, happy, creative persevering and name it, they are unsung heroes of the white's earlier generations. Inequality has always been a constant burn in the universe, the favored and the unfavored, the lucky and the unfortunate, realistic as it sounds that the world is a struggle of the opposites well life will definitely move forward and hopefully soon, all the colors of life from the darkest shade to the lightest will blend to when all is well. Expand
  62. Mar 10, 2012
    This film is impressive, it always atracted my atention, was brilliant the way of give the side of the maids at that time, hilarious performance by Octavia Spencer, she earned those awards. A film highly recommended
  63. Aug 27, 2014
    The Help is a gift. A truly special gift of filmmaking. It's the perfection adaptation of an already perfect novel. Tate Taylor along with his starry ensemble of characters make for one of the very best films of the year. Only issue here is that Viola Davis missed out on the Oscar win.
  64. Mar 26, 2012
    The big surprise was that this movie was a lot more than what the trailers were offering. It is a movie with a lot of heart and fantastic acting. The pacing feels perfect and the emotion comes out so naturally, nothing ever feels forced. The humor is well balanced with the more heavier scenes. It is just a perfect film.

The movies main point is about bringing change. That if you see any

The movies main point is about bringing change. That if you see any unrighteousness you have to stand up for it. Donâ
  65. Mar 26, 2012
    A well executed story. The directing added nothing exciting to this film, but the wonderfully entertaining characters stole the show. It was sincere in its storytelling. It was serious when it needed to be serious and funny when it needed to be funny. This movie did not need any help capturing the hearts of many.
  66. Mar 28, 2012
    This film is really good, great performances from a brilliant cast, every part is really well played, the story well written and with real heart and emotionality. Octavia won the Oscar for best supporting actress and is brilliant in it, however, it's Viola Davis's acting performance that really stands out, she is excellent in this movie and i'm stunned she didn't get more recognition.
  67. Sep 9, 2012
    I shall speak the truth about films that desrve more than what they are given. Like Zack Snyder's latest live-action flick "Sucker Punch", "The Help" deserves more recognition and admiration as it is an incredible experience for movie-goers. It really warmed my heart, made me laugh, made me frustrated at some points because of racism, made me feel what those women felt and films like thisI shall speak the truth about films that desrve more than what they are given. Like Zack Snyder's latest live-action flick "Sucker Punch", "The Help" deserves more recognition and admiration as it is an incredible experience for movie-goers. It really warmed my heart, made me laugh, made me frustrated at some points because of racism, made me feel what those women felt and films like this are the ones that are lost in flavor and essence in the present, but are missed in the future. This is such an extraordinary work of art. Definetly, deserves a ten and if there would be an 11, I surely would've given it that! Expand
  68. May 30, 2016
    The Help is a truly fantastic film that displays every ounce of movie magic one would hope from a film. While not as challenging of its racial elements as it should be and built on the trope of an educated white person helping minorities, The Help rises above these conventions with a truly heartfelt and triumphant story. Even more, the acting lifts the film into a different stratosphere.The Help is a truly fantastic film that displays every ounce of movie magic one would hope from a film. While not as challenging of its racial elements as it should be and built on the trope of an educated white person helping minorities, The Help rises above these conventions with a truly heartfelt and triumphant story. Even more, the acting lifts the film into a different stratosphere. Led by Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, Emma Stone, and Jessica Chastain, The Help is a real showcase for its actors who all steal the show in their own ways. Additionally, the film is really well paced. For a film that is two and a half hours, it never slacked and had no filler. Instead, it is a well cut and well paced film that never really slowed down, instead providing entertainment for the entire runtime. Overall, The Help is a very good film about its stated subject and shedding light on the lives of these women who raised white children in the south for so long. Expand
  69. Oct 5, 2012
    I love this movie , The pie was really funny all the actors and actress they did a great job and this movie look's like another sissy spacek movie The Long Walk Home 1990.
  70. Nov 12, 2012
    [The Help] is, in some ways, crude and obvious, but it opens up a broad new swath of experience on the screen, and parts of it are so moving and well acted that any objections to what's second-rate seem to matter less as the movie goes on.
  71. Dec 21, 2012
    The Help isn't the best film ever made. It doesn't pretend to be. For what it is, The Help, for me, is a great movie if you are willing to sit for an hour and half and marvel at the performances. It's supposed to be feel old, and while it may seem predictable- it is actually a very emotional movie that made me tear up. Nominated for an Oscar (and having seen Viola Davis act) It it was oneThe Help isn't the best film ever made. It doesn't pretend to be. For what it is, The Help, for me, is a great movie if you are willing to sit for an hour and half and marvel at the performances. It's supposed to be feel old, and while it may seem predictable- it is actually a very emotional movie that made me tear up. Nominated for an Oscar (and having seen Viola Davis act) It it was one of the best movies of the year. Expand
  72. Dec 6, 2012
    Seriously, a great film! The story is touching, emotional, powerful, but also humorous at times which is not always an easy combination to fulfill. Besides the powerful story, the absolute best thing about the film is the acting. Great performances all around. Emma stone is fabulous; she has one moment in particular that cuts you right to the heart (for those who have seen it, you knowSeriously, a great film! The story is touching, emotional, powerful, but also humorous at times which is not always an easy combination to fulfill. Besides the powerful story, the absolute best thing about the film is the acting. Great performances all around. Emma stone is fabulous; she has one moment in particular that cuts you right to the heart (for those who have seen it, you know what I'm talking about). Viola Davis shines as the lead maid and Octavia Spencer is equally as brilliant. One performance that isn't getting as much attention is Allison Janney. She's absolutely stunning and I don't think the film would be as good without her. The performance for me though is by Jessica Chastain...a truly fascinating character fueled by a masterful performance. I really really hope she wins the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress; it looks like the award will likely go to her co-star, but Chastain is as deserving! She made this film for me and I can't wait to see her future work. The Help is a must see film! A wonderful story fueled by beautiful performances. Nominated for 4 Academy Awards including Best Picture! Expand
  73. Mar 3, 2013
    Very inspiring and entertaining movie. It was funny and sad at some parts. I would recommend this to anyone. Emma Stone and Jessica Chastain's performances were flawless. But all the performances were good. Extremely recommended to anyone.
  74. Mar 30, 2013
    i absolutely loved this movie awesome story awesome picture and it gives you kinda of a peaceful feeling while watching this movie emma stone done a spectacular job i can't think of one thing negative about this movie.
  75. Mar 24, 2013
    To see a film that was hilarious as well as touching was definitely what I felt was a successful film. Under James Cameron's Titanic, this is my favorite drama.
  76. Dec 31, 2013
    The Help is one of the most gripping movies I have seen in a long time, once you start watching you virtually can't move. This is a example of a successful movie that will always continue to keep to clued to the screen. Never have I watched a movie where you cry and laugh at the same time. A must watch for everyone, you will not be disappointed!
  77. Mar 22, 2014
    The Help is an interesting movie, that truly shows us how the US was in the 60s and I really liked it!
    The story in The Help is highly entertaining, and I really enjoyed the movie, because the civil rights movement during this time truly was important!
    Overall is The Help a great movie, but the slow tempo actually made it a little boring in some scenes.

The Help gets a 7/10
  78. Oct 13, 2013
    The Help is one of those movies that captures the era of civil rights very accurately, except it's told through the maids and butlers and "the house help". It is very funny at times when it's appropriate, and dramatic and sad when it needs to be. To watch this film, just flip through your movie channels on TV, because it's one of those good movies that's always on.
  79. Jul 23, 2014
    Irresistibly likeable and incredibly heart-warming - The Help not only boasts brilliant performances, but has a consistently sweet and funny tone which adds to the films already warm premise.
  80. Apr 11, 2014
    what a good movie about someone who helps this maid through segregation in the 50"s . Good Movie . grade A+ ..................................................................
  81. Nov 23, 2014
    The Help es una película que te atrapa con su buena historia, y no solo por eso, si no también por lo muy bien que está dirigida esa historia, a parte de las buenas actuaciones.
  82. Jul 20, 2014
    Una película hermosa, que muestra la realidad de Estados Unidos en esa época, con actuaciones maravillosas, una historia hecha para hacerte llorar, una de las mejores películas que he visto.
  83. Jun 13, 2014
    Excelente película, tiene un reparto de soló mujeres de primera. Las actuaciones de Viola, Octavia, Sissy, Bryce Dallas, Jessica y Emma son bien logradas. El desarrollo de la historia fue muy bien logrado. El desarrollo de los personajes excelente. El final fue lo más triste de la cinta (por la historia).
  84. Jun 25, 2015
    I thought this movie was really good. It had a good story and it was different over the fact that a white female during the time period wanted to write a book about the lives of African American women during the time period.
  85. Mar 12, 2016
    The Help has great scenes and strong performances from all the cast that contribute to the film success. Add to that the film touching subject about U.S dark past. Overall, a great film.
  86. Oct 22, 2015
    How can I characterise this film? It is truthful and unique,sorrowful and making me laugh-out-loud, bright and very kind. I'm talking about "The Help" directed and adapted by Tate Taylor from Kathryn Stockett's novel of the same name. And I want to share my emotions with you about this film, because for me it is the magnificent example of the opposition between rich, beautiful and putridHow can I characterise this film? It is truthful and unique,sorrowful and making me laugh-out-loud, bright and very kind. I'm talking about "The Help" directed and adapted by Tate Taylor from Kathryn Stockett's novel of the same name. And I want to share my emotions with you about this film, because for me it is the magnificent example of the opposition between rich, beautiful and putrid inside American people of the upper class from the one side, and from the other - generous, wise, miserable African Americans with a big hearts.
    In the year 1963 a young journalist Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan(Emma Stone) started to write a book about the life of black maids in American families. She asked Aibileen Clark(Viola Davis) to help her, reluctant and frightened to tell her story at first. We see a lot of cases of humiliation, of fear such maids to lose their job, but in the same time, they never give up, as Aibileen's friend Minny Jackson (Octavia Spenser), she is so magnificent, so optimistic, so particular. Minny was also quite a rebellious maid, because one time she used guest bath instead of going out into tornado weather to use help's toilet. Oh yes, "they (black people) carry different diseases than we(white people) do" was the reason for prohibition of using the same toilets with family members. So, there are so many examples of how miserable and complicated life of such maids was, but, nevertheless, they kept on loving children which they look after, cooking the outstanding dishes and being the people of great hearts, while their employers were doing a lot of disgusting and degrading things which their help could never even think about.
    The movie is worth watching for those who want to understand in which condition were African Americans in 1960s and also for those want to see an outstanding picture of unforgettable and bright characters!
  87. Feb 29, 2016
    A great story and a wonderful cast combine to make this drama a must-see.

Watch this movie online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-240c0d-The-Help-movie-online-free-putlocker.html

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Feb 3, 2012
    The Help's most apparent flaw is a tendency to paint with broad strokes. With only a few exceptions, it avoids shades of gray.
  2. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Oct 24, 2011
    A simplistic portrayal of historic race relations boosted by terrific performances from some of the best actresses working in Hollywood today. Sure, it's corny, but it mostly works.
  3. Reviewed by: Ella Taylor
    Aug 12, 2011
    Big hair, fine period frocks and interior design lend The Help a pleasingly retro look. Yet for someone who grew up in Mississippi, the director has little sense of place.