The Hitcher

6.2

1. DanT
    Jun 10, 2009
    Mindless violence justified only by poor characterization. The Hitcher offers predictable 'thrills' and a shallow plot that seems to perpetuate itself for the sake of attempting to fill the void between the film's beginning and a divergent conclusion, the only possible end to such a spiraling sequence of events masquerading as a plot.
  2. ColinG.
    Jan 20, 2007
    Someone needs to take away Michael Bay's re-make privileges. His company butchered (yeah, I know) "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and now they've ruined a film that was very close to my heart. Bad script, bad acting, bad direction. This film is pure worthlessness. Do yourself a favor and rent the original. It's pretty damned fun and a hundred times better than this.
    Feb 8, 2007
    If you're the type of person who enjoys blood and gore galore, then feel free to go and see this movie. Otherwise, try and stay away. I wasn't too crazy about this movie.
  4. PnArdyPnArdy
    May 13, 2007
    An awful modern suspense/triller remake of a cult movie with Rutger Hauer.
  5. Syzygy
    Jan 19, 2007
    I walked in hoping for a few redeeming elements against the predictable narrative lapses. Decent performances ? Witty repartee ? Some story intelligence ? Not really. The acting wasn't horrible - for the little they had to do - nor was the directiing, but the uninspired, one-note predictability mixed with idiotic plot sequences make this a stinker.
  6. AW
    Jul 11, 2008
    Only noteworthy thing about it is the unintentional comedy.
  7. Aug 28, 2011
    This movie could have been a lot better if there weren't so many what in the hell moments. I understand that it's a movie and I need to suspend my disbelief but some of it was just to much. The soundtrack also didn't fit in a couple spots either. One thing that deserves credit is the acting was actually pretty good. Usually horror movies are not packed with actors that make you go wow,This movie could have been a lot better if there weren't so many what in the hell moments. I understand that it's a movie and I need to suspend my disbelief but some of it was just to much. The soundtrack also didn't fit in a couple spots either. One thing that deserves credit is the acting was actually pretty good. Usually horror movies are not packed with actors that make you go wow, but this one was actually very respectable. Overall the movie isn't anything great but it a lot better then some.

1. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    If you boil off dialogue, performance, narrative logic and grind a movie down to the nub of genre, will there be any suspense left? The answer is yes, but only in a Pavlovian sense. You react to this dull shockathon like a wired lab rat who's seen it all before. And guess what? You have.
  2. Bean carves out his own modest variations on the theme of John Ryder-on-the-storm, but Bush and Knighton are so blandly forgettable that it's hard to believe that they're the protagonists and not Victims 1 and 2.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephen Saito
    The Hitcher's main problem is that many of the title character's dirty deeds are done off-camera. Instead of seeing Ryder trap his victims before he kills them, the audience is treated to plenty of butchered corpses that seem to magically appear after Ryder leaves a room.