6.2

1. KImM.
    Jan 20, 2007
    We saw this movie last night and it wasnt as horrible as is being said. it was funny and suspenseful enough. The two best aspects of this movie were the villian and the sheriff. Ill remember them over the whinning teenagers.
  2. KarinaS.
    Jan 22, 2007
    I went to see this movie yesterday and I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. Although I love Sophia Bush, her role in this film didn't really come through for me. I don't think it had anything to do with her acting ability at all because she's extremely talented, I just feel the script itself lacked authority. The story itself had many elements that left me I went to see this movie yesterday and I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. Although I love Sophia Bush, her role in this film didn't really come through for me. I don't think it had anything to do with her acting ability at all because she's extremely talented, I just feel the script itself lacked authority. The story itself had many elements that left me personally, at times wondering, what? It could have better, but then again, horror films have indunced this kind of story telling lately, which is quite sad. Expand
  3. ChadS.
    Mar 14, 2007
    Did John Ryder(Sean Bean) have a prior history of violence? We assume he does, but if that was the case, the trucker who eventually picks him up should've been killed. Maybe he's less like Henry(Michael Rooker from "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer") and more like the Michael Douglas character from "Falling Down", an ordinary man who finally snaps at the injustices of the Did John Ryder(Sean Bean) have a prior history of violence? We assume he does, but if that was the case, the trucker who eventually picks him up should've been killed. Maybe he's less like Henry(Michael Rooker from "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer") and more like the Michael Douglas character from "Falling Down", an ordinary man who finally snaps at the injustices of the world(you'd be pissed too if you were left to stand in a downpour at night). Even though Ryder kills a group of people, he does show some remorse in his wish to die himself. This killer is a little more complex than your standard issue murderer. If the young couple(Grace and Jim) gave Ryder a lift, they might've escaped the wrath of the thoroughly drenched. And more importantly, Jim would've met Grace's friends, assumingly hot. This ambiguity about the hitchhiker's true nature saves "The Hitcher" from being utterly mindless and bloody, but it's still a long ways off from being a good movie. Most needless remakes of mediocre thrillers are, but at least this one has a wicked liberal bias(the people in the station wagon were Christians, and the cowboy hats worn by the sheriff's department are signifers for stupidity), which will either amuse, or irk; depending on who you are. "The Hitcher" is trash, of course, but it's well-paced trash and mercifully short. Expand
  4. May 29, 2012
    Passable horror that has some good moments but unfortunately falls into the category of "what are they playing at" and instead of just taking a hint, turning around and heading home the road trip continues and subsequent mayhem ensues.

1. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    If you boil off dialogue, performance, narrative logic and grind a movie down to the nub of genre, will there be any suspense left? The answer is yes, but only in a Pavlovian sense. You react to this dull shockathon like a wired lab rat who's seen it all before. And guess what? You have.
    Bean carves out his own modest variations on the theme of John Ryder-on-the-storm, but Bush and Knighton are so blandly forgettable that it's hard to believe that they're the protagonists and not Victims 1 and 2.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephen Saito
    The Hitcher's main problem is that many of the title character's dirty deeds are done off-camera. Instead of seeing Ryder trap his victims before he kills them, the audience is treated to plenty of butchered corpses that seem to magically appear after Ryder leaves a room.