Buena Vista Pictures | Release Date: April 29, 2005
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 211 Ratings
Watch Now
StevM.Feb 11, 2008
A mildly amusing yet bland film, that left a distinct feeling of unfulfillment.
2 of 3 users found this helpful
CarolT.Sep 24, 2005
I admit I am an Adams fan, having heard the original radio series (and copied it on tape for repeated listening - it's given me many hours of commuting pleasure), read all the books, and seen the tv series (ok, so I like British I admit I am an Adams fan, having heard the original radio series (and copied it on tape for repeated listening - it's given me many hours of commuting pleasure), read all the books, and seen the tv series (ok, so I like British humor!). I was wary of a film of his material, and was pleasantly surprised as it unfolded. However, the movie slowed to a crawl, the dry British wit evaporated, and I found myself bored during the second half. From what I had read, the new ideas, such as carrying the Vogons through the entire film and the "point of view gun", were Adams own, but the way they were implemented didn't have the sparkle of his off kilter sense of humor. What a shame. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
ChristinaP.Sep 14, 2005
Very disappointing if you've read the book.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
oxanaSep 12, 2014
For someone who has not yet read the books (I'm about to, though), this was a decent movie. The first time I saw it, it felt better, but perhaps I've grown more critical because honestly... this didn't impress me too much on the second watch.For someone who has not yet read the books (I'm about to, though), this was a decent movie. The first time I saw it, it felt better, but perhaps I've grown more critical because honestly... this didn't impress me too much on the second watch.

The plot - if there's one to speak of - is pretty insane - the characters are chaotic, and neither is really all that funny. Maybe I wasn't in a mood to be amused, but... the jokes just didn't work. The lack of seriousness and steadiness ate at the fun moments.

The only true source of humor and the most amazing character is Marvin, a robot with a depression. Alan Rickman as the voice for that poor character did an awesome job!

All in all... the movie could be worth three stars, but the humor was simply so poor that I can't give it that this time. Maybe after reading the books this movie will open to me differently, but right now, I can just feel sad about the whole farce that was this film.
watithink123May 9, 2012
This film got boring after a while and just lost interest with it near the end. Just don't like it myself. I'm not saying it's not funny but it lost my interest. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the the Galaxy 4.8/10
SpangleJun 25, 2016
Zany, absurd, and completely out of left field, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a weird, yet occasionally funny science fiction film. It honestly feels as though the film often tries to see just how weird it can be and thisZany, absurd, and completely out of left field, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a weird, yet occasionally funny science fiction film. It honestly feels as though the film often tries to see just how weird it can be and this inclination is a bad one because these moments ruin the film. When it works as a social commentary on bureaucracy and government, The Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy soars. It is funny, spastic, and laugh out loud funny. In particular, Alan Rickman as a manically depressed robot is the best part of the film with his lines consistently funny. Yet, there is simply not enough of this as the film departs what works and just accepts trying to see if it can make its audience laugh out sheer awkwardness and oddness. Spoiler: it can't. This eventually turns watching the film into a bit of a chore with every great scene countered with an equally bad scene. It is honestly too bad, but the end result is a middling film that does make you laugh, but not nearly enough. Expand
Tessara_VejganDec 10, 2014
Its a good movie. Its an sf comedy with a hit or miss humor, at least for me. Its pretty f***** up, both the characters and the universe around them. It makes for a good watch.