8.1

1. Jan 13, 2013
    This movie was amazing. The storyline was great and if you are a lover of the LOTR then you will definitely love it. the Scenery and the costumes and make up should definitely receive awards as they were incredible. I particularly liked how Peter Jackson did not allow one particular character to completely take over the movie but bought all the characters together and showed the importance of each one. I do however think that there was about 20 mins cut out of the movie at the cinema that I saw it as there were 2 areas where the scene abruptly stopped and then went to an entirely different scene and i am sure that Peter Jackson would not allow such bad editing. The movie was running behind so i believe that the cinema cut it out, but i am going to see it again on weekend (good excuse to see again) and will see if it does it again.
    The music appears to be less in this movie then in LOTR but it also has some of the music especially Concerning Hobbits which is an absolute favourite and parents ringtone. The music is fantastic to listen to and if there was not so much going on on the screen you would be very content to just sit back and close your eyes and listen.
    Although this movies goes for 184 minutes you wouldn't know it as I was enthralled throughout it and could have gone on with more. Absolutely wonderful movie and cannot wait for number 2. GO AND SEE IT!!!!!
  2. Feb 3, 2013
    Great movie! The problem is that all those possibilities the movie had in the buildup, really didn't make it to the end of the movie. Also the physics were pretty unrealistic. They should've added some more realism to that.

Maybe the buildup for the movie will have a reason when I watch LoTR
  3. Jan 10, 2013
    I went to see this movie with many family members, the oldest being 57 and youngest aged 10. I am the only Tolkiendili in the family although my 17yo sister read The Hobbit. We all saw Lord of the Rings prior to this. Our overall reaction after the movie was that it wasn't as long as the critics claimed but to our surprise we found out that it was indeed a long movie - it simply was far too entertaining for us to see time go by. I don't understand reviewers, especially the pros who "read the book". How could you expect The Hobbit to be more epic and superior in emotion than Lord of the Rings whileobbit, as a novel, is inferior in both content and quality to the Lord of the Rings? It was an impossible task for Peter Jackson even if the trilogy was made into one single movie. The Hobbit as a novel is a light, contemporary fairy tale with plenty of cartoony events and surprising characters. The Hobbit as a movie is the exact same thing and for this reason I applaud Peter Jackson for preserving the innocence that makes The Hobbit a charming story. The visuals are superior to any I have seen, even better than Avatar. The crystalline details and top-notch focus on the characters, scenery and landscapes is simply unsurpassed. Many additional details made up for the sake of the trilogy still remain canonical, such as the meeting for Saruman, Elrond, Galadriel and Gandalf. As for the others, they never go very far from the original thing and it makes the story more interesting for the viewer. The actors were well chosen and while Thorïn is a lot more polite and friendly in the book, he is still a fascinating character in the movie. The fight scenes are indeed over the top, all sorts of things that you see contrast from the darker Lord of the Rings, but listen, this is not Lord of the Rings. It is the Hobbit. Even for Tolkien, The Hobbit is in a different category compared to Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion. The childish spirit of the Hobbit remained untouched and this is how the movie was supposed to be made. The only bad thing about this movie is the fact that there is very little original music, most songs you will hear are from the previous trilogy which makes The Hobbit sound lesser than it actually is. Other than that. this movie is as entertaining as it gets and it respects Tolkien's will, no matter how many of the Tolkien fans or members of the Tolkien estate are against it. Expand
  4. Nov 23, 2013
    The Hobbit was amazing even though I just recently saw it on tv and for the first time. I felt it was somewhat darker than the first three but also very character driven. It invoked a lot more emotion than the previous Lord of the Rings and I thoroughly enjoyed this one more. After being let down by The Two Towers and Return of the King, I feel this film breathes new light into Peter Jackson's legacy. Expand
  5. Feb 12, 2013
    This is just one of those movies that may not meet expectations of previous non-fans. I have read "The Hobbit" around 10 times in my life and I knew going in that this was not going to be as serious of a movie as The Lord of the Rings films, and I was OK with that. I felt this movie captured the book successfully and I'm excited about the future movies (which I believe will be more serious in nature). It is unfair to compare this movie with The Lord of the Rings. As a life-long Tolkien fan, I was pleased with this film. Expand
  6. Jan 23, 2013
    Going into The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (or The Hobbit, as I will refer to it for the purpose of this review) I had very low expectations. When Peter Jackson announced it would be three movies, let alone two movies where I had already felt the source material was being stretched, I cringed. I knew no matter what the reviews were, I
  7. Dec 19, 2012
    This is a awesome movie. I think people were expecting something better than the LOTR, and when it did not achieve that, gave it super low scores instead. Which is ridiculuis. I can see how some might be bored by the first hour of the movie, which does not have much action, but the next two hours have SO MANY fighting scenes it is amazing. especially 48fps. This movies score i think should be high 80s, and i am putting 10 to counteract the trolls. Expand
  8. Dec 22, 2012
    Go Watch this movie thinkig yourself: im going to watch The Hobbit, not im going to watch lord of the ring. This movie ia a lighter, funnier and to my own opinion better approach to the middle heart. It is an extremely fun ride that will leave goosebumps all over your body and that will make you smile from the begining to the end. There are much less battles, compared to the two towers or to the return of the king but the few that are in the movie are freaking epic. Its impossible not to compare it with its lord of the ring counterpart, and i can only say its as good if not better than the trilogy. And Thorin si a badass. Expand
  9. Dec 18, 2012
    I seen the hobbit movie and i like it , and there something that i don't understand , in the lord of the rings ,we see Ian Holm as Bilbo gets the ring.
  10. Dec 23, 2012
    The movie has its share of flaws. Number one being that the first 20 minutes of the movie are painfully drawn out much too long. While it was true to the book (any maybe the book was really at fault) it did get better. The movie isn't oustanding. I, personally, sat next to a good friend who LOVES, LOVES, LOVES LOTR. She, of course, was so happy about seeing it. Don't get me wrong. I like the series, but I feel the next two will be much better. Eh, it was okay in the end. Expand
  11. Aug 16, 2014
    A bit longer than it needed to be, but I guess when you break up a single book into two movies some parts are going to be longer than required. Ending was great, finally Bilbo has a self-fulfilling act! I about cheered when he and Thorin made up.
    In summary, see it if you liked the LOTR series. Or if you like New Zealand scenery. Or if you like epics. Just go in with the notion it may
    last longer than needed. I bought it but rent if you're a not a Peter Jackson/Tolkien fan. Expand
  12. Dec 17, 2012
    Lots of fun, great action, and very witty. I loved the hobbit. Even though some things were a bit off from the book, it made the movie that much more enjoyable. People need to realize what the hobbit is about before giving it a bad review. Its not about EVIL and BATTLES, its about an adventure from an unlikely fellow.
  13. Jan 26, 2013
    The Hobbit is a great nostalgic ride and a brilliant movie, it delivered at the level of quality i expected it too and it does leave a great desire for more after watching it. Many critics are complaining too much, most expected it to be like LOTR and now that it was they ponder in regret and disappointment, talk about a double sided sword situation. We all know one single movie wont satisfied most us fans but i do believe a trilogy is stretching the boundaries of the plot, two would be the perfect mark but who am i kidding i loved LOTR and i want that same journey again for my selfish needs. So Mr. Peter Jackson is now going to attempt to do just that with The Hobbit Series, hoping we can get that same feeling we had when LOTR was delivered to us and damn he sure did a good job. In my honest opinion i felt this was the beginning of hopefully another great adventure, the best thing for me about this movie was the Score, the playing of "Old Friends" reminded me of "Concerning Hobbit" and sent nostalgic waves through my mind and was utterly soothing when revisiting The Shire, it was like meeting a old friend ironically. Like always the music was done to a perfection and they carefully bought back some renewed LOTR music at key moments throughout the movie, another great mention was the track "Misty Mountain" it sent chills down my spine giving me that "Skyrim" feel to the movie which was brilliant. Howard Shore sure knows how to deliver a prestige score.

The locations were perfectly chosen, showing the world another view of beautiful scenery in NZ as well as revisiting some of LOTRs most memorable and beloved places like The Shire & Rivendale. But what really got my attention was the beautiful scenes of where our main cast were shown traveling on beautiful but daunting mountains and warm homely forests. The Goblins home was a grimy location and i felt like it was another nostalgic moment reminding me of the chase in Moria from The Fellowship of the Ring.

We are spoiled with the amount of characters in this one, starting with the 13 dwarfs who all have their own unique personalities but i felt some out shined others due to the lack of depth & screen time moments (besides the introductions). The re-occurring roles in the movie were great moments for LOTR fans and a young Bilbo sure keeps standards high from where Frodo left off as the helm of the cast. The villains played a big part for the plot, from a unknown & unsettling Necromancer to the scary & ruthless Pale Orc known as Azog the Defiler. Radegast was a clever character but i felt the his appearance was a major disappointment in terms of presentation as well as his depth which i felt was barely justified in the movie. The return of Gollum sure lead to one of the best scenes in the movie, a funny but charismatic riddles challenge with Bilbo which also shows a more aggressive and surprisingly more hostile Gollum, similar to the Gollum we witnessed at the end of Return of the King.

The first hour of The Hobbit is obscurely slow and felt it dragged some unnecessary scenes but the next two hours surely picked up the pace and was what we all came to expect, a well oiled journey fueled by short sweet humor and cluttered action scenes. Some scenes are breath taking like the revisiting of Rivendale to the unforgettable scene between Gollum & Bilbo and some scenes just felt dragged. The fps was surely odd, it felt some scenes were too sharp and felt like i was watching a TV Movie, some scenes were also outrageous like the battle between stone giants which i felt was breath taking but a bit over the top & ridiculous. But all in all The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is sure a great first step to hopefully another promising trilogy. 8/10
  14. Jan 21, 2013
    Despite the harsh criticism about how, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" did not live up to expectations and how it was not nearly as good as "The Lord of the Rings", "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" should be looked upon based on its morals, and not purely on comparison. It is simply not fair to base a movie on its sequels or prequels. A film should be based on how it stands as a film alone, nothing else.

This film is full of amazing set pieces and epic battle scenes that provide great entertainment. While nothing is R-Rated, there are some nasty bits of arm-cutting and head-rolling, but nothing too gruesome. After all, this movie is mainly a kids movie. The film has a much lighter side to it than the Lord of the Rings films did, rightly so.

The character performances in this film are mostly superb, even though some may be a bit corny. The CGI is great for the most part, and are surprisingly detailed. However, the best and most entertaining scene in this film is when Smeagol comes in. The game of riddles is highly entertaining and was one of the highlights of the movie. Sometimes, Smeagol can appear a little too real.

One thing that I did notice with this film, is that Peter Jackson decided to create it with the future in mind. Meaning that everything in this movie is designed to fit what is to come. I can't really give examples without spoiling anything, but when or if you've watched it, you'll probably know what I mean.

Overall, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is an unexpected joy to watch, especially for fans of the book. Even for those who aren't, there is still much to enjoy. While not a masterpiece and while it does suffer from some stupid scenes (SPOILERS), such as trolls dangling the dwarves and the hobbit from their fingers and for some reason deciding not to kill them... and Gandalf always popping in to save everyone last second, this movie is mainly a building block for what is to come. I would still watch this movie again just for Smeagol.
  15. Dec 27, 2012
    The hobbit being shorter than the Lord of the Rings books, it's a common question as to why three movies are made to adapt it. Many of the reviews I've read have mentioned that it drags in order to keep consistent length, and still have three films. I don't agree them. I appreciate the additions to the story, particularly Radaghast. I also feel this will make the "battle of the five armies" quite massive. "An Unexpected Journey" has a good sense of humor, and sense of adventure, and it's nice to see some of the updated technology utilized in the film to bring the creatures and settings to life.

(I watched in 24fps, non-3d)
  16. Dec 23, 2012
    Peter Jackson tried with this movie to satisfied all the TLOTR fans, without paying attention to the other people who don´t have any idea about what this movie is about. And because of that, if you haven´t seen the other movies or if you don´t enjoy them, this movie would dislike you. The first half an hour of the film is a bit stopped, without action nor battles. The problem of the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is that all the fantasy of the other movies and all the special senses comes at the end of the film, and the other 2 hours are a bit disappointing. I enjoyed so much this movie, ´cause I´m fan of the others and I love the movies. If you liked the others, you´ll enjoy this one. Expand
  17. Dec 29, 2012
    Yes, the story might lag a little, but I'm glad it's as long as it is. I really enjoyed the visuals and story setup. Go into this understanding that they are marketing The Hobbit to children on Disney and Nickelodeon, and you'll be satisfied. Thoroughly enjoyed, best movie we've seen this year.
  18. Dec 30, 2012
    The Hobbit...was...amazing! It lives up to its genre name which would be adventure. It was exciting, humorous, interesting,and weird. Part 1 is an extremely good start to what might 2nd most epic trilogy of all time.
  19. Dec 21, 2012
    The critic side goes to show what little they know about entertainment. The Hobbit is every bit as good and even more engaging as LOTR (even during the "lulls"). The HFR version does show a few seams in the production and can be a little dizzying in more kinetic scenes, but these very minor factors are quickly forgotten for the sake of an adventure. Welcome back, Hobbitses!
  20. Jan 6, 2013
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is not what I 'expected', it was indeed an 'unexpected journey' I went on when I saw the film. As a big fan of The Lord of the Rings I forgot that the books were maybe written by the same Writer but where not meant for the same audience. I was expecting an en epic fight with the same dramatic quest to save the world but what I saw were (like in the book) just the beginning and the base of what will become my favourite movies and books. The Hobbit is a good movie and I thank God that they decided to include several other story's from Tolkiens Middle-Earth into it but this movie is not always appropriate for children (like the book), Peter Jackson also tried to make it appealing for teenagers and young adults and to be quit honest he failed on that part. He should have gone one way or the other but not try to mix a children's book with the style from LOTR. Still, the visuals are perfect, I saw the movie in 3D/HFR and was blown away by it! I saw Middle-Earth as I never saw it before and I can't wait to see the next part(s)! The Score was epic and I loved how they brought some elements from the LOTR score into the score of The Hobbit to give us this nostalgic feeling. Expand
  21. Mar 8, 2013
    The great first part of the trilogy. What a wonderful movie. You'll kidnap in this world and you won't want to get out. HFR is perfect for this film it shows this world so beautiful and dangerous,so real. 9/10 because sometimes it is a bit illogical that the dwarfs always escape from every dangerous situation without that one hurts or one dies.
  22. Jan 13, 2013
    A good deal better than I expected. Still too long, a few too many characters, certainly too much in the way of epic computerised interiors of caves, and a bit of pandering to the LOTR tragics in terms of gratuitous cameos from elves and wizards. But the bottom line is that it works. Overall, the Hobbit is warm and funny, and it establishes the link with the LOTR films pretty seamlessly. The film is definitely aimed at a younger crowd than LOTR (just like the book of the Hobbit) and is none the worse for that. Rather a lot of suspension of disbelief is required (no casualties or injuries whatsoever from everybody falling off extremely high cliffs, as well as endless attacks by horrible orcs, trolls, wolves, gigantic stone beings and necromancers? Unless you count the mounds of dismembered orcs) but so what? Sign me up for the next one. Expand
  23. Dec 24, 2012
    While the hobbit is not a perfect movie, it is a fun movie. one thing that brought the hobbit a little bit down was its pacing, some scenes just dragged way to long. Another thing that bought it down was that Peter Jackson tried to expand a children's book narrative int a more complex one that stretched things too long. Ignoring the negatives the hobbit excels in visuals because of the 48fps it was shot in and the fighting scenes in the movie were top notch. The hobbit doesn't feel like LOTR but it makes it's on feel Expand
  24. Dec 23, 2012
    Although the film's first act may seem a bit sluggish to some, in my opinion "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" powers through it with plenty of humor, surprisingly well-developed characters, and an always-stellar amount of visual magnificence.
  25. May 8, 2013
    Please don't pay any attention to the idiot critics over there on the left.. This movie was amazing, and as a LotR fan myself, I was pretty impressed by how it exceeded my expectations. The different fascinating locations, the interesting characters, the intriguing plot, it all comes together to form a great retelling of part of Tolkien's book. I began watching the Hobbit with slight caution as I wasn't sure it would meet my expectations, but boy, was I in for a surprise. And so will anyone else who isn't sure whether to pick this one up or not, but all I have to say is: Whether you're a Lord of The Rings fan or not, watch this, NOW. Expand
  26. Nov 27, 2013
    I kept delaying watching it for months, maybe because I was intimidated by the length. Who wouldn't be? Expanding a three hundred page book into a trilogy made me think Peter Jackson was having a hard time letting go of Middle Earth. And if all of the three movies were to be this long, he was at a risk of ridicule for over ambition. But if the first instalment is any indication, he succeeded in creating a fulfilling beginning to this new adventure fairly well.

This time we follow a group of dwarves and a young Bilbo. Gandalf is the only major character from The Lord of the Rings to feature in this movie. Thorin the dwarf king replaces Aragorn as the thick skinned leader of the group.

The cinematography was up at the same standard as from the previous movies. It was shot with the Red One digital camera, with a frame rate per second of 48. It looked different and dare I say better than the previous trilogy.

The pacing was controlled with ingenuity and never for a moment did the movie drag. It was a constant shuffle between action pieces, dialogue, imagery and visual back story. But between some of the major plot points, I sensed that there was a lack of direction. It was like Jackson was trying to show us how these creatures lived instead of telling us a cohesive story as he did previously.

Martin Freeman is a much better actor than Elijah Wood and this works in favour of The Hobbit. Bilbo is much more engaging as the lead adventure seeker. Orcs and even Trolls seem to be more than just the cannon fodder as portrayed previously. They actually form some kind of societies and hold prolonged conversations, and display that they are capable of rudimentary intelligence. Thankfully Jackson dispenses with the stereotypes associated with these species to a certain degree.

The lost kingdom of the dwarves, Rivendale and the underground Orc city were created splendidly. The camera pans though the environment and gives you a sense of the enormity and beauty of these places. The sheer scope of this CGI is mind boggling. The amount of money spent on the movie is quite palpable. The score was refreshing and kept the tone light.

Lord of the Rings is simply a much better story than The Hobbit. The best was the Fellowship in my opinion. But The Hobbit still is better made than The Two Towers. It may be because the Fellowship was a much more interesting story to film, or because it was a realist tale, but I decided that The Hobbit lags behind the former in nearly every aspect. They are not even in the same league. But this is the mistake right here. These stories should not be compared at all, for they belong to almost different genres. LOTR was a mature tale about war and suffering it brings while The Hobbit is more of a children's adventure fairy tale with a fair amount of humour, where no one dies and everything sorts out in the end, almost Deus Ex Machina-style.
  27. Mar 8, 2013
    Great movie! I miss a bit of the Lord Of The Rings atmosphere because it plays in the same universe. But ok, this movie is better to watch for kids. Lord Of The Rings was much more complex. Iam fine with this the movie was awesome on its own, the humor (especially the dwarfs and ogre). I also must say that the movie is not to long it runs like 2,5h. Its interesting until the end.
  28. Mar 26, 2013
    A lot of fans, including myself, were taken by surprise when reviews of An Unexpected Journey were mixed to positive at best. People questioned Jackson's decision to return to Middle Earth, and even more questioned the decision to expand the film into 3 films. Now that I've seen the film multiple times, I am confident that Peter Jackson is the only person I trust that can bring Middle Earth to life on the screen. An Unexpected Journey is a highly entertaining and satisfying tale but not without a few flaws. Two of the big problems I had with the film were the slow beginning and heavy use of CGI. This film takes its time in the early moments, but the film as a whole doesn't drag. The Hobbit relies heavily on computer generated orcs/creatures unlike LotR; I personally found the CGI to be poor at times, it really takes you out of the film during certain scenes.

Flaws aside, this is an entertaining adventure and fully satisfying return to Middle Earth. Jackson's vision remains the same, Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, and Andy Serkis return, New Zealand's beauty shines, and Howard Shore's (excellent) musical score ties everything together by reminding us that we have in fact returned to ME. On top of that, Martin Freeman joins as Bilbo and we have a dozen dwarves to meet; not all of the dwarves are fully realized characters, but they're very entertaining and we have two more films to get to know them better. Freeman is the heart and soul of this film, I really could not have imagined a better fit for Bilbo.

2 films would have sufficed to tell this story, imo. As a fan of Tolkien, I enjoyed all the additions to the film, it really makes it obvious where the trilogy is going, but this first film suffers a bit because it lacks its own real narrative, but I am beyond excited for where the next films are going to go.

In short, The Hobbit 1 is not as good as LotR. It feels bloated at times in the beginning due to a lot of backstory/additions to the story and a strange dependence on cg effects, but it is a wonderful return to Middle Earth and will satisfy fans of the original trilogy.
  29. Dec 30, 2012
    Short of expectations. I've read the books and love the whole LOTR world that Tolkien has masterfully created for us all to enjoy. Also thoroughly enjoyed the original trilogy. That said, I cannot believe they are making a trilogy out of this one book (the shortest of them all!). Talk about milking it for all it's worth. Anyways, I digress... As for the actual movie: I watched this in the normal 24fps since I had heard bad things about the higher framerate. And it was far too long!! Definitely could have been edited and cut down more. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get more time spent in the realm of Middle Earth, but this was simply excessive. I also feel like they were trying too hard to capture the same sense of the first three movies, and while The Hobbit's tale is definitely epic but it is simply not big enough to match the same level of the three main books so their attempts were futile. There were a lot of flashbacks and jumping around all over, so it can feel a bit disjointed. My favorite scene is definitely Gollum's part in the movie. Anyway, other than it being too long, trying too hard, and disjointed, I did like it and was entertained by it. Recommended, but I wouldn't set the bar as high as the first three movies done. ALSO: 3D and IMAX 3D aren't worth the hiked up price. Regular IMAX (if that's offered) or simply a regular cinema screen would be better (unless you're really into that). I barely noticed the 3D and felt it was more of a chance to ripoff than something that would make me enjoy the movie better. Expand
  30. May 4, 2013
    I don't get why everyone is so negative about this movie. This movie is really a great one, not so good as the Lord of the Rings-trilogy, but Peter Jackson did again excellent work. It's a good and sometimes funny movie. This is a must-see-movie for the whole family. Peter Jackson never disappoints me by far. I am really looking forward to the next movie, I'm very curious about the outer movies of the trilogy. Expand
  31. Jan 28, 2013
    I find that allot of the criticism that this movie receives is very unjust. The Lord of the Rings trilogy set an extremely high standard that very few fantasy films could ever hope to achieve. The High Frame Rate might have been a little bit of a blunder, but the film itself is exactly what it set out to be: The story that happened before LOTR. It's not meant to be as epic or grand. The hobbit is a fantasy adventure story and it succeeds in that completely. If I had to criticize, I would say that it might not have been a bad idea to cut a few of the Dwarves from the cast. Most of them feel like they're there just to form a crowd. Overall: I thoroughly enjoyed it and loved every minute of it. It didn't wow me the same way Fellowship of the ring did, but it kept me enthrall just the same. I can't wait to see the next movie. Expand
  32. Jan 3, 2013
    This movie is an amazing adventure! Peter Jackson put 100% in this movie. i don't whats with the low rating.. but that's just the critics. this movie is a must see!
  33. Dec 31, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was not exactly what I was expecting. On one hand it was able to deliver what any Hobbit/ Lord of the Rings fan would want, but on the other hand, it was just shy of the greatness the trilogy had established. Visuals looked top notch however, allowing for some of the best CG in movies these days. The new 48 frames per second allowed the visuals to also move smoothly through surrounding environments and react with real world objects. The story telling was very well done even though some of it had been over exaggerated from the book or, if I recall correctly, not in the book at all. Acting was great and believable just as it had been in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The real challenge for anyone watching this movie is sitting through all of it. Unexpected Journey is the shortest movie ever made for the Lord of the Rings universe and it is still too long. Running at two hours and forty nine minutes, I'd be amazed if anyone could sit through this without having to leave for the bathroom. Another challenge, will be breaking this book up into three movies and not trying to flutter the audience down with even more extended scenes that weren't as long as they were in the book. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a great movie! People should really go see it in theaters! However, if you have difficulty sitting down for so long, I would suggest to you that you wait and rent the movie instead of having to miss twenty minutes of it because you had to go to the bathroom. Expand
  34. Dec 26, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a really good movie, 3D is amazing, don't have a bad special effects, and the history is so much cool than the book, i give 10!
  35. Dec 17, 2012
    If you love LOTR you will love this....ignore the majority of the press this film is a masterpiece ! .The length of it seems to be an issue ,all i will say is if you are a fan of tolkien and the idea of spending another 3hrs in middle earth fires your imagination then you will not be dissapointed....this film is awesome.
  36. Dec 16, 2012
    Although the story coincides with Tolkien 's work, it's slow start seems to keep the story progression from picking up and lingers too long in Middle Earth at times. The visuals are spectacular, and at other moments it can be quite the opposite, as there is a "BBC television" feel to the filming (especially indoor shots). I'm not sure what's to blame for this, whether it's the i-max, 3-D, 48 fps or bad lighting but it is comparable to being on a live set observing a film shoot, which removes you from the sensation of it being a film at times. Despite it's flaws, and all the harsh criticism, the movie is still entertaining and worthy of being seen in theaters (as well as a future blu-ray purchase). There isn't much to the story of the Hobbit, and I think Peter Jackson has done a lot with a short children's story while tying in plot points that lead to the events of Lord of the Rings. The film manages to maintain the same atmosphere of Middle Earth with elaborate sets, creatures, wardrobe and beautiful cinematography. Well done. Expand
  37. Dec 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I must have watched a different movie than those other critics with negative reviews. This movie stuck well with the book, it had tons of action with gorgeous visuals. The end of the film transitions well into the second movie. I'm looking forward to the next film with the encounter with Smaug. The first movie would have been too long had they end with the Smaug encounter. Expand
  38. Dec 16, 2012
    A great movie that is let down by acouple of pacing problems early on. Fans of the LotR will love this, despite just missing tout on the greatness of that trilogy. No doubt will be improved by the extended cuts and sequels.
  39. Dec 16, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, is an outstanding movie. I've been waiting for this flick for a long time and it did not disappoint. It had exactly what I was looking for in an adaptation of Tolkien's book. Unfortunately I do not live near a theatre that was showing the HFR version, so I'm unable to comment on that. But from what I've heard from friends it's either hit or miss.
  40. Dec 17, 2012
    It's nice to be back in Middle-Earth. Great actors, cool action scenes, epic soundtrack. It might be a bit slow at times, but it's never boring at all.
  41. Dec 17, 2012
    THE HOBBIT is an amazing film. Peter Jackson has made a masterpiece one more time. This film has also humour and makes laugh. We have once more a three hours movie. Great film.
  42. Dec 17, 2012
    I don't know where the critics get off giving this film moderate reviews, the film is incredible. The critics are clearly desperate to pick holes in The Hobbit after The Lord of the Rings Trilogy was so perfect, but anyone that's seen it will tell you that the film is amazing. Best film of the year by far.
  43. Dec 17, 2012
    Peter Jackson didn't disappointed us with the Lord of the Rings and if your really want to know, he didn't disappointed me with the hobbit either because Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings mostly for big fantasy thinkers, but he wrote the hobbit for his very own children and you might have noticed the movie has more humour and the actions are not that realistic but in a way he brought us all back to the Middle Earth we love because the quality of the movie and the music has only improved itself and for me they are doing a great job by giving the Lord of the Rings fans another joy to watch, that's my own judge on the movie. Expand
  44. Dec 17, 2012
    I was very well impressed with the overall movie, but there were some drawbacks, and cuts. It will make you leaving the movie theater happy that you saw it. I will be eager to watch the other two sequels.
  45. Mar 25, 2013
    I'm too tired to write a full blown review for this one. S if you're interested in whether you should see this movie or not. I will tell you this. This is NOT the Lord of the Rings. Do not expect a starting film of the same proportions. Go into this movie expecting an adventure (Unlike Bilbo :D) Go into it, snuggle up and watch some really cool action sequences, some great dialogue between some of your favorite characters and see some great villains and plot points unfold. If you're coming from the book, you will be pleased to know it does an absolutely terrific job of displaying Tolkiens vision. It's a good watch and I'm sure the next two will be even better 7/10 Expand
  46. Dec 20, 2012
    "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is a revolutionary film that has now expanded how film can be shot. Using the new 48-frames per second with stunning 3-D we get an absolutely beautiful picture that shows how real a movie can look. While this is all great, I found that I really enjoyed the way Peter Jackson shot and filmed his original trilogy, with lots of makeup, huge sets, and limited CGI(Computer Graphic Images). I found that while this film is beautiful, I could tell when a creature was CGI and I found it heavily distracting. The original trilogy got Oscars for makeup! and now they were using CGI for most of their characters and back sets. I give it a seven because while it was very cool to look at, I found it to be merely entertaining;a good way to spend three-hours at movies. Expand
  47. Mar 24, 2013
    saw it loved it. but if there wasn't any of the other movies i think this would bite the dust. i have seen twice and i don´t remember any of the dwarfs names. then again it has nice scenery and shots overall a great movie but it has its downfalls. but really 58/100
  48. Dec 31, 2012
    Those who appreciate attention to detail from the book will love it. It does a great job of touching on all the high points of the book while giving a bit more exposition to certain characters. Yes some things have been embellished upon, but it's tolerable considering the wide berth of people this movie was made to accommodate. I mean, we are talking about what was basically a children's story being turned into a major motion picture. Expand
  49. Dec 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First and foremost I enjoyed the movie but when you hold it against the LOTR it just doesn't hold up. For a movie that has come out 10 years after the original trilogy you would think the CGI would look better but it really didn't. The gravity of the story was lacking, in the LOTR their quest held the fate of Middle Earth in the balance while here we were only trying to save the home of some dwarfs who I didn't really feel sorry for. Also, with LOTR their was a definite connection to mankind BUT there are no men in this flick, we deal with dwarfs, hobbits, wizards, orcs, and goblins.

All in all not bad, Peter Jackson and his team just didn't step their game up, it's like they went through the same motions without the same drive to make this as great as the LOTR.
  50. Dec 23, 2012
    I was shocked when I saw how poorly this movie was rated here, and decided to share my own view on the movie. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is near perfection. The plot is extremely accurate to the book, the acting is wonderful, the soundtrack captures the same feel from Lord of the Rings while providing brand new tracks that fit in perfectly, and the special effects are some of the best to date. From the first scene, until the credits, you are sucked back into the same Middle Earth that the LOTR movies introduced you to. Although it obviously does resemble the Lord of the Rings movies, I don't think it's fair to judge it based on them. While The Lord of the Rings movies tell the tale of a dark voyage with epic battles, The Hobbit aims for (and achieves) a more fun and adventurous tone. Don't get me wrong though, it definitely has it's intense fighting scenes. So, overall, The Hobbit is a movie that anyone can enjoy and one that Tolkien fans will fall in love with. Go see it if you haven't! Expand
  51. Dec 23, 2012
    This has to be one of the best movies ever made, and is easily the best of 2012, it fits in perfectly with the LOTR films, but easily stands on its own two hobbit feet. The hfr 3d is beautiful and amazing, the directing, acting, cgi stuff, and other effects are amazing. I am a HUGE Richard Armitage fan, and I think his performance in this film is superb, as is every one else too by the way. A big thank you to Peter Jackson, for this 10 star movie! Expand
  52. Dec 25, 2012
    I read the hobbit when I was very young and my imagination was the only escape I could use to go to Middle earth, 20+ years later and my imagination is now realized on the screen... and it looks great!
    There are parts that felt better reading than when realized in the cinema mostly because reading it gives me time to digest more fiction, The hungry golums and the cooking part, the rabbits
    sleigh, Bilbo's house dishes cleaning and some other it felt a little bit I am watching a disney fiction, thank God that didn't last long, and the movie does pickup the pace and Bilbo - Smeagol was comforting and well acted.
    Overall I enjoyed it and wouldn't have missed it and would recommend any old and new Middle Earthern to go back...
  53. Dec 27, 2012
    The Hobbit is a fantastic movie.It is worth watching it, the landscapes are absolutely amazing,it is a masterpiece.People should also try to forget The Lord Of The Rings because this film is something else,you can't compare them!So stay cool and enjoy watching Peter Jackson's The Hobbit!!!
  54. Dec 25, 2012
    I thought movies were supposed to entertain. If that's the case, then The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was a great movie indeed. Maybe the critics were too hyped for the Dec 21 doomsday theme, but the film beautifully portrays bit lighter Middle Earth with much better, in my opinion, scenes(specially battle ones) and not just because of the better CGI. The film exposes some elements that bridge the new trilogy to the LOTR one, but it feels definitely a different quest on it's own albeit in a familiar and very welcomed Middle Earth. Didn't watch the movie in 3d as it has never been my cup of tea, but it you are deliberating on watching it, well, I'm deliberating on going to watch it again! Expand
  55. Dec 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. -MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS- Best Lord of The Rings movie yet. Yeah I said it best YET. The character development is actually pretty good especially considering that there is 14 characters consistently throughout going on a very epic journey to help the remaining of the dwarves who didn't get killed by the army of Orcs reclaim the city of Elaboar (Can't Spell this stuff). The battle scenes are epic especially the one where they are on the bridges getting chased by Goblins which also showcases the great special effects and the 3D is very well done (unfortunately I didn't get to see it at a high frame rate though). Unlike most people say the movie did NOT start out slow you saw some crazy stuff at the beginning. OK some issues at certain battle scenes where swords and stuff are clipping through Orcs ect. but it wasn't that noticeable. The only real complaint is flashbacks can be drawn out until you forget there was a flashback or explanation in the first place so I can get slightly confusing and let's face it the scene with the Golem was too long. But overall it was an AWESOME movie Expand
  56. Dec 26, 2012
    I saw the film in DLP projection 2-D. So I don't think it was in the 5k resolution or 48 fps. Regardless it looked great. The film was an amazing adventure worth seeing by any fan of Tolkien's fantasy realm. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the film and honestly never wanted it to end. They captured almost everything from the novel perfectly. I say almost because a few things were changed, or added, for the sake of having three movies I assume. VERY little from the novel is left out in the movie. The Hobbit pt. 1 was packed full of action, thrills, and light-hearted fun that will make you laugh, gasp, cry, and put you on the edge of your seat like many movies fail to do. I recommend seeing this movie 100%(200% if you are a true LOTR fan). Can't wait for parts 2 and 3!!! Expand
  57. Dec 26, 2012
    I think that the people that are posting bad reviews just saw the movie listen to some critics and cry about how its gonna be 3movies and how childish it was.
    Let me inform you that the Hobbit (the book) was indeed a bit chilsdish in the beginning with the talking trols and de dishes but thats the book, if that was cut out you would be crying about that.
    And the "meehhhhh why is is in
    threee movieess meehhh''' well beceause most of you **** diden't read the books so now they will show you how sauron was risen beceause you dont read that in the Hobbit. That is why its in 3 movies.

Sorry for the bad grammar!
  58. Dec 26, 2012
    I consider myself to have a good taste in movies...knowing what is really bad and really good. Reviewers giving The Hobbit low scores is an error and an insult to their profession. I witnessed the same high quality of filmmaking in this movie as The Lord of the Rings series. Sure, there are things filled in to make a set of 3 additional movies more interesting...but they ARE interesting. Don't listen to the low rating critics on this movie. The visuals, music, acting, and of course...story are amazing! Just go see it and enjoy it and don't listen to bitter people who are picking it apart because they are having a bad day, a bad life, or nothing else better to do but be belligerent. Expand
  59. Dec 26, 2012
    I understand fans have made comments that the start is slow - I loved it - I agree there are some holes in how we get to when the action really begins at about the 1 hour mark - but every minute is worth watching - love this - know its not true to the book - but Jackson owns this world.
  60. Dec 27, 2012
    If you liked the Lord of the Rings you'll definitely like The Hobbit.
    It keeps the same beautiful scenery and great acting as the LOTR trilogy but has a more lighthearted feel to it.
    All in all, it's a great movie, I didn't even feel like it was 3 hours long, and I have no idea why critics haven't been giving it better reviews.
  61. Dec 27, 2012
    Saw the movie. I wasnt disapointed, even when i had high expectations. It is just as good as the book.
    I dont understand what the critics hate about this movie. In my opinion the high framerate and the 3d works well with the movie.
  62. Dec 28, 2012
    Once you realise that this is not Lord of the Rings and a film which stands on its own two (hairy) feet then you will enjoy the journey. I am going to see this again.
  63. Dec 28, 2012
    This is the movie of the year for me, I had great expectations for this movie and it delivered everything I wanted. The return to Middle Earth was an amazing experience, and I loved the whole feel of the movie. It is different from LOTR and it should be different, this is pure fantasy at its finest. Critics complain about length, humor and CGI. These are baseless and so far out it annoys me, the CGI is top notch, and it makes everything look fantastical, even though I like makeup and prosthetics, I do find that for fantasy movies, great CGI makes for a great adventure movie, Avatar would never been such a great movie had they used makeup and prosthetics. The only criticism I can give this movie is that it was to short, in contrast to many critics I found the movie to be short, I guess I was just having to much fun with it. The introduction was the perfect length, could have been even longer as it is a long journey and a good buildup is essential. The music and songs really set the mood for the film, to travel on a quest over misty mountains and into dark and dangerous caves.

This is a 10/10 movie for me, I can't wait to watch it again soon, and I hope for a Extended edition. And the coming year will be hard as I really look forward to the next part of this grand journey. If you like fantasy and are looking for a great adventure movie, then this movie is for you.
  64. Dec 28, 2012
    Balanced and enjoyable. I never read the Hobbit. Saw LOTR. Had zero expectations for this film. I was entertained the entire time. Read the reviews before I went and have to say the critics were pretty far off base. It works, and its good. episode 1 star wars comparison is not even fair. Much better, at least as good as E6 star wars.
  65. Dec 28, 2012
    Unexpectedly good. Martin Freeman is very good, plot simple but fine, special effects good although too many in places. I was getting bored at times in the long middle passages of the LOTR films, but lasted the distance here without checking my watch. Good interplay between characters, and some humour sprinkled here and there. The 48 fps produces beautifully smooth movement and detail, you feel you're really there in the scene. The 3D is fine but I'm now satisfied it really doesn't add much to a film. You stop noticing it after a while, and it doesn't leave any lasting impression, I don't really need it. But there was no motion sickness here, they have fine tuned it well.

Peter Jackson has done it ! I don't know how he will stretch it out to two more films but on this evidence he has got a good plan.
  66. Dec 29, 2012
    good film, some comedy and more action, but the whole film is not finished, which probably means the second part will be out a good time from here, like harry potter or twilight, the whole proper end fight is in a different film. But it was good
  67. Dec 31, 2013
    First I like to start with that I am one hell 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy fan freak, it is EPIC to all the EPICS in human history of filmdom. I voted many movies for 10 outa 10 but by far LOTR stays in highest peak point on that list. I never compare HOBBIT to LOTR because the time and technology differentiate both the movie (trilogy) and I request you all not to do that. Another solid reason is that I saw LOTR as plain live action graphic movie but saw HOBBIT a decade later in 3D with advance CGI technics in it.

Now lets talk about 'An Unexpected Journey', The first installment of 'The Hobbit' trilogy which tells the untold adventurous story of Bilbo Baggins, the ring holder, which take place 60 years early to the actual LOTR, it also tells how Bilbo Baggins ends with the precious Ring in his pocket that everyone in the Middle Earth was looking for it over the centuries. As usual stunning visuals, Peter Jackson did hell great job by handing the massive characters/cast/role and also got what he wanted from CGI technicians, It was not gigantic cast like LOTR trilogy though. In fact I have seen only 33.333...% of the movie so far I mean I yet to see other two parts (66.666...%) which make it a trilogy so my rating for this movie is temporary till next two years.

The movie begins with slow dramatic style, introducing all the characters one after one otherwise some could get mix up to identify all the dwarfs who look alike. And then little fun get pass through middle of the movie with small-small adventures then begins second half where most of the real adventures take place which kick starts with mountain Trolls. Extraordinary 3D effects with few great pop-ups, some action sequences were simply breathtaking especially one in underground Goblin city is treat for eyes specially if you see it in 3D version, expected ultra slow motion images Like what we see in cricket, sadly I did not get chance to see the movie in 48fps, that really scuks as being LOTR fan, great to see 500 years old freaky, an aggressive Gollum in 3D, you gonna witness the best Gollum in technically, Andy Serkis did great job in his short phase. There is a brief scene where this movie meets 'Fellowship of the Ring' where Gollum lose his Ring in a dark cave and that situation was bit strange and different than what we saw in LOTR may be because it was brief like i said before. Meet between them, Bilbo Baggins and Gollum was more like funny simultaneously frighting too, specially kids may feel that. Background score was so great throughout the movie like previous trilogy, even some songs too. When movie ended I left cinema hall like everyone else but felt I still wanted another hour of it, I was forced to leave the place How many of you will agree me, it started slowly but ended strongly, that's why all this drama of me.

In world cinema, there will be always some characters which will remain in people's mind forever, like the Joker, Jack Sparrow, Dark Vander etc, like that Galdalf is for LOTR, of course including Gollum, Ian McKellen was so awesome in all the four movies, without him or replace of him is like a bowl of curd rice without a Piece of pickle.

Overall an excellent standard movie, must see in big screen with 3D version specially if you are a film freak you should not miss it, some people might have not get satisfied with movie but all I can say is still another two is yet to come so it will make difference at least then. Now all we can do is wait.....
  68. Dec 29, 2012
    I was taken by quite a surprise by the reviews of The Hobbit (at the very least I would've expected the paid reviews to bump it up into the 70s), but I went to see it anyway, and I don't regret it one bit. I think the problem is that a lot of people came into The Hobbit expecting the intensity and seriousness of the latter two LOTR movies--e.g. another gradual buildup to an "epic battle". Instead it is something more playful, adventurous, and character-driven, and it resembles the beginning of The Fellowship of The Ring more than anything else.

To me this was an improvement since this is the sort of fantasy I enjoy--where the emphasis is on the thrill of the adventure, the unexpected, and the experience, but for those seeking something serious and of grave, apparent consequence, this is not your movie.
  69. Dec 29, 2012
    Looks fab - in 2D, none of yer 3D muck, please. Lighter in touch than the darker LOTR trilogy, which is as it should be. The characters are as they should be, and although there are a large(ish) number of similar looking Dwarves you do get to know their individual traits. Still, there are problems, mainly the length of time it takes to get going. And when it does get going it seems to do so in a mad rush to fit things in - and yet doesn't feel like much has happened. There are big splendid CGI sets, cities in mountains and goblin lairs and Rivendell and it looks sumptuous and particularly glittery. There are chases and fighting but it never feels like anyone is in danger, which dulls the sense of adventure considerably; there's lots of talk about danger and not enough of it. The trouble with The Hobbit is it's all surface shine and little depth, or, as Smaug would probably agree: all that glistens is not gold. Expand
  70. Dec 29, 2012
    When I saw the average score of "Hobbit" I was a astonished and surprised. How could a Peter Jackson's movie, placed in Middle-Earth, be bad? When I came out from the cinema I was mad at critics that gave the film a lower rating than 8. All the negative reviews were written because of conceit. Critics are trying to show how "non-commercial" they are, showing instead, that they are just rag dolls. Everything in the movie was very good. Music, photos, acting, costumes, animation, characterisation. Expand
  71. Dec 29, 2012
    It's important to take into account the fact that The Hobbit was written as a children's novel, and is completely incomparable to The Lord of The Rings Trilogy. There are certain parts that have been chopped and changed to fit the film scene and allow continuity; all of which have been sampled from The Silmarillion, Tolkien's un-tweaked finale to the Middle Earth universe. Generic film critics are void of this knowledge, unfortunately. The Hobbit will most definitely climb aboard the wall of classics to sit beside it's sibling saga. Expand
  72. Dec 30, 2012
    It is an amazing movie with very beautiful regions the mountains of new zeland. Also, peter jackson followed faithfully the book. the scenes seem the same with the story of book. Additionally the actors suit with the roles of story. Generally, it is perfect movie. Thanks Peter Jackson...
  73. Dec 30, 2012
    Lighter in tone than Lotr, the hobbit tries hard to remain recognisable within the screen world established so well in the first trilogy. And on the whole, it succeeds. It is, however, a weaker film. Martin freeman is no Elijah wood, he is simply not as strong an actor, although us likeable in the role. The story does not consistently revolve around his viewpoint. There is cgi overload, and although thrilling at times, too many action scenes in the second half with our heroes in perilous situations where we all know gandalf will turn up at the last minute and rescue them. Or eagles. Again. The story feels padded at times, and over stretched like butter over bread. Highlights were the shire opening, the trolls, and gollum. Some solid performances too from previous actors, as well as several strong newcomers. I suspect and hope this will be the weakest of the three films, overall enjoyable, not as hood as Lotr and unlike that trilogy, I found it left me cold, but hopeful. Expand
  74. Dec 30, 2012
    Why are people reviewing LOTR? This isn't LOTR. It's The Hobbit. Two very different types of storytelling. Don't compare the two and call it a review of one of them. The book was quirky and colorful. The film is no less. I can imagine how it drags on for some people, but I've read the book, and was more interested the page to screen adaptation and timeline of events rather than following a brand new story. I saw the 24 FPS version, and can't say much about the difference between the 24 and 48 FPS versions. It was still gorgeous and exciting. Expand
  75. Dec 31, 2012
    A masterpiece and after seeing it for the second time have to agree it's a bit better than Fellowship of the Ring. Don't be put off by the jaded critics there is a good chance that if you see this you will be dazzled and amazed.
  76. Jan 1, 2013
    Nothing new for a movie... i only saw rocks flying on the screen using a format launched 10 years ago. Maybe, by the reason of this movie being a first part of a trilogy, when the other 2 parts are released this first will be make a little sense more.
  77. Jan 1, 2013
    I don't understand why this isn't getting the best of reviews. I loved it, and cannot wait for "Desolation of Smaug" If this looked good to you and you were looking forward to it, then don't be turned away. I loved the LOTR series and I love "Unexpected Journey".
  78. Jan 2, 2013
    It is hard to ignore the vast stylized differences between "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and the Lord of the Ring Trilogy, but if you look past that and make this film its own you will be immersed in a truly imaginative and mesmerizing world.
  79. Jan 2, 2013
    I've waited so long for this movie, and there it finally is. The special effects are even better than the LoTR. And it has an even warmer feeling then the Lord of the Rings-trilogy. But I've to admit that there are some negative sides. The prologue has for a example a bit childish feeling. The humor and the characters sometimes feeling as they are picked from a Disney-movie. And secondly (an expected argument) is that the story less epic than the first trilogy. Over all is the movie very entertaining and I would recommend it to every LoTR fan Expand
  80. Jan 3, 2013
    The one thing the most reviewers dislike about the movie, it is that its longer than it should be, that its too long, that its watered down or that it has scenes that never happened in the book or that the scenes them selves are too long. For me however, it was the thing I enjoyed the most. I decided to avoid reviews for once, as reviewers and critics do not make movies them selves or not are the creative type to the height of someone like Peter Jackson. And I am glad. Its the experience that you take it in a small spoon at a time. Not like greedy ADD children that has to eat all the candy at once. More movies (in my opinion) should be made like this, to take in better the environments, the places, the characters, the setting, and the ambience like it should. Instead of having movies that flicker scenes as fast as a disco with drumb base music. Bravo! There is no better reviewer than your self, and you should also always learn to not hype your self like this critics have before watching, reading or playing anything. Expand
  81. Jan 6, 2013
    Everything that I expected and wanted! A movie made for people who love the books. I don't like how the critics say that the movie is drawn out because they are the same ones commending the LOTR movies for their ability to tell a detailed story. The cast of dwarves is perfect, they portray the characters exactly the way Tolkien wrote. I'd argue that Freeman played the role of Bilbo better than Wood ever played Frodo; s always Sir McKellen was superb. The only criticism i have is Jackson's decision to change the orcs to CGI. Expand
  82. Jan 4, 2013
    I have to agree with what a lot of the other "user" reviews are saying about the "critic" reviews. This movie is a LOT better than the scores the critics gave and it feels almost as though the review was centering around HFR and not the film itself in most cases. And as far as the film itself goes, I felt right back at home in Middle Earth. In fact it was even MORE fun because I felt as though I was *really* back in Middle Earth due to the amazing 3D filming. This is the first 3D film I've seen where I actually liked the fact that the film was in 3D. It was comfortable to watch really engaging. I watched it in IMAX 3D, had a great time and would recommend it to anyone who was a fan of the originals, a fan of the books, or is just looking for a reason to see a movie in theatres that doesn't suck. The critic reviews are wrong on this one. Expand
  83. Jan 4, 2013
    I'm DON'T the hell understand why the Metascore so low... The movie is AWESOME. I enjoy every minute, every second. It's the best film I ever watch. 3D technology... it's magic. Thanks Warner Bros. you let us see a Tolkien's world!
  84. Jan 6, 2013
    Great movie! I enjoyed the way the story was told and there was almost nothing left out. It is a movie worth seeing. The CGI is great, for the most part, there are one or two scenes where the CGI looks a little poor to me.
  85. Jan 7, 2013
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a prequel to Peter Jackson's The Lord of The Rings Trilogy, probably my favourite film series of all time. This film starred Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins. Gandalf enlists Bilbo to go on an adventure with a company of Dwarves to reclaim their gold and treasure from the Dragon Smaug. This movie had some great stars, with Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage (Thorin Oakenshield) and Sylvester McCoy (Radagast the Brown). The plot of the film drew you in with twist and turns along the way, with Gollum and the ring both showing up in this installment. Overall I do not think this film was as good as any of The Lord of the Rings trilogy but it was still a great return to Middle Earth and recommended. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug will be released 13th December 2013, with the final installment The Hobbit: There and Back Again coming 8th July 2014. Expand
  86. Jan 7, 2013
    Gollum looked better than ever, and after my third viewing the Pale Orc Azog finally grew on me. It's always disappointing when main characters are CG-- these were the best I've ever seen, but it still leaves one wanting. Overall, a wonderful adventure film that I absolutely loved.
  87. Jan 7, 2013
    The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey is yet another Peter Jackson work of art. I am also a massive fan of the LOTR trilogy, although this film has a different air to it, anyone who like LOTRs should also like this.
    The film is shot in HFR (High frame rate) 3D, meaning that it is shot in 48 fps rather than 24. This initially takes a bit of getting used to but overall makes the movement on
    screen seem more fluid.
    I think the 3D wasn't great, but I think that of nearly every 3D film I have seen, It certainly wasn't detrimental to the film so is still deserving its 10/10.
  88. Jan 8, 2013
    I honestly don't see why so many of you goobers think this movie sucks. Critics seem to be going psycho about it such as crap like the 48-fps camera setup they went with. I'm gonna get to that first. When I watched The Hobbit @ 48fps, it was a little choppy initially, but it became smooth later on. It feels thousands of times more pure than traditional 24fps footage we're used to. All of you gooblings **** about that format need to lay off tha **** cus this new format is totally kicks ass. As for the movie, it's got a different feeling than that of the LOTR trilogy released a decade ago. It's less geeky and more entertaining, so us normal people will be able to get into it a lot easier. Expand
  89. Jan 8, 2013
    ESPECTACULAR!! recomendable 100% si no la as visto vete al cine a verla merece la pena verla en 3D muchos criticos la criticaron mal, y que el 3d a 48 fotogramas por segundo no valia la pena y que no se notaba, y toda la gente que a ido le a encantado, me daria verguenza ser critico de cine ahora mismo, la criticaron tan mal solo por quedar mas profesionales o algo pero no tienen ni idea
  90. Jan 8, 2013
    Superb imagining of a well-loved book. Visual excellence along with a cracking good tale.
    Although Jackson has certainly taken some liberties, most work very well and aid or
    enhance the whole experience. I was concerned it might be a touch too twee for my tastes, but this was not the case. Worth noting that I did not watch the high frame rate or 3D version of this film - just the
    standard 2D showing. I'm also giving this a 9 rather than a 10 because I was niggled
    at 2 mediocre effects amongst over 2.5 hours of an otherwise permanently impressive viewing treat, and I struggle at the best of times to be kind. And if Gollum was fantastic before, he's gone up a notch now! Watching that face trying to work out riddles was a highlight. Almost as funny as seeing the majority of user reviews being at complete odds with 'critics'. Do they actually get paid for being pointless and confused?
  91. Jan 8, 2013
    To be honest i have a suspicion that a lot of folk might just be jumping on the bandwagon to criticise "The Hobbit, An unexpected journey". I've seen it a couple of times now. Yes in the controversial HFR 3D. Yes it does take a few minutes to get used too but the rewards are huge. So it doesn't follow the book page by page. If that's what you want then read the book. Peter Jackson is a film maker... and one of the best too. I found the Hobbit both spectacular and charming for all the right reasons. The casting was perfect, the special effects were incredible and the film flew by for me. Yes some of it does feel familiar but Im not complaining. I really have no idea why the score is so low. Especially seeing as it seems to be mostly professional critics with a negative review. Everybody i know who's seen it loved it. I can't wait for the next one. Expand
  92. Jan 8, 2013
    Many people forget that this is going to part of a much longer film franchise, expecting around about at least another few films coming out from it, the humor aspect which some people tend to claim poor or childish need to be reminded that in the book, it was to be known to be childish, due to the Dwarves happy go lucky nature, as well as a serious side for their people and the task they have at hand. Again perhaps the critics should take into account that this is part of one, many people we're disappointed with the ending of the first LOTR film, then found the following 2 films to be an exceptional ending to the film franchise. The only thing i can fault this film for is possibly not covering all of the detail, this is unavoidable however, before the film becomes to dragged out to those that may not know the full story Expand
  93. Jan 8, 2013
    An absolutely wonderful film (though too short for me!), which I've seen three times already, and will see again tomorrow, again in the 3D 48 HFR format. The casting and acting of Bilbo, Gandalf and Thorin was absolutely right, and all the Dwarves were also well cast, though of necessity their roles were not huge (similarly to in the book). Balin, played so well by Ken Stott, is my next favourite Dwarf after Thorin. I loved the way the music made references to LOTR, and Thorin's song was just lovely. The visuals, also, were absolutely brilliant: the sweeping shots of the mountain scenery; Erebor; waterfalls in moonlight at Rivendell; the eagles at the end; the Stone Giants fighting while ignoring the little beings below them. I think I like this film more, even, than FOTR (my favourite of the LOTR films), mainly because the casting and acting is generally better, and because of the incredible visuals. My thanks and warmest congratulations to PJ, and I cannot wait for the next two films.

As for the critics who left poor reviews for this film, I really don't know what their problem was. Don't like fantasy? Don't like films creatively not made by Americans perhaps? Well done, though, to Total Film and Empire, who always give fair and insightful reviews of films. I registered here specifically to comment on this film because I was so disgusted with the negative reviews of something that plainly does not deserve it. Thank goodness I generally do not read the opinions of critics before seeing a film, since I prefer to make up my own mind.
  94. Jan 8, 2013
    I disagree with the hard critic scores... While "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" does not necessarily surpass the movies from the "lord of the rings" it tells a great tale with the same high quality you come to expect from these movies. But there is also more humor and the tale is told in a little different way than in the previous movies from this world... I was not disappointed.
  95. Jan 10, 2013
    I saw this movie and i was very pleased with what peter did. I didn't go to see Lord of the Rings, i went to see the hobbit. People who expected a new lord of the rings were obviously disappointed. Looking forward for the next 2.
  96. Jan 12, 2013
    I would rather review the mindset and mentalities of these self proclaimed "critics" that push their unhappy with themselves and/or life it self opinions as fact, rather than being exactly what it is. An opinion. And believe me, not all opinions are created equal, especially the ones that thrive off of negativity and looking at and bringing out the bad in things (which may or may not even be present in the first place, but these unappreciative negative 'critics' always seem to find them no matter hat the subject). Of course the reality of it all is that we should be so appreciative that we even have the option to the many luxuries we have in this country. And beautiful, magical, masterful films are just some of the many. But that doesn't mean "take whatever they throw at you and appreciate that you even get anything at all!" No no no, it is much deeper than that, and anyone that I would even have to go further in depth explaining that fact to has already predetermined negativity in their own mind, and may be already lost. But we all (myself included) nowadays have a tendency to become so self-entitled and judgmental of literally everything we are so lucky to have in the first place. It truly saddens me to see all that negativity and stubborn mindedness draw evil out of such pure and beautiful things. If you could step down off your elevated steeds for just a moment and completely and selflessly observe all this trend of activity as a whole..........you would and should be disgusted with yourself and the way you have the potential to act and think (I sure have). And it is surely nothing short of amazing and freeing once you finally do. Of course I'm not saying you must love this movie in order to be a happy and good person, that is not my point at all. It's the whole aura and mindset of your being and the way that your brain processes things and events that is the root of these problems. And I have hope that we can turn this trend around and become a more positive, enlightened and inspired people as a whole. I wish us all luck on that journey, which may be an unexpected one in itself ;). I hope I did not offend anybody, and that this "review" will be taken as a positive read and not cause people to react in the very way I was wanting us all to detour from in the first place. And I am confident you all are very capable of doing so! Expand
  97. Jan 21, 2013
    I don't think there's another way to describe this film than as sweet. Jackson has once more come back to our screens, reviving Tolkien's first dabble into Middle Earth with The Hobbit. The first film in the upcoming full trilogy delivers a wholly different perspective of Middle Earth; one where returning fans can see a distinct rose-tinted view of Middle Earth, whilst new viewers will see a pretty landscape with comic and lovable characters. The film's plot centres around a quest, where once more it is not as simple as it seems; with the mishaps and adventures along the way affording maximum enjoyment and drama for the audience, whilst providing an insight into how things in LOTR came to pass. The film will attract viewers of all ages and though fans of the LOTR series who have not read any of the books, may find this film more simplistic and light-hearted, I must remind them that Tolkien's Hobbit was aimed at children and so the film remains more in-keeping with its original premise, as can be seen from the general feel of the film- it does just make you smile! Peter Jackson's Hobbit is everything it should be; didactic to youngsters and older viewers alike, entertaining and really good fun. Expand
  98. Jan 15, 2013
    The Hobbit was a great movie, the acting was solid and at times exemplary, the visuals were as impressive as the last 3 tolkien movies, the story was gripping. The only complaints i could think of really, were that of length, but really, when you see a Peter Jackson movie, you kind of expect it to be long. I felt that it did seem to stretch out scenes a fair bit, as they spent a very long time in the shire. But over-all, it's no-where near as bad as some critics are making it out to be. Expand
  99. Jan 16, 2013
    A book is a book, a movie is a movie. I read the book and saw the movie and i think that Peter Jackson did a great job taking the story to the screenplay, by adding a coherence with the LOTR trilogy.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer