8.1

1. Apr 21, 2013
    Yes, this film can be very cheesy at times, but it has some of the most honest emotion and most blatant adventuring that I have seen from a film in a LONG time.
  2. Jan 3, 2013
    After so many years in production hell at MGM with serious doubt over these films happening at all, The Hobbit finally hit our screens, and quite a hit it was.
    If it is at all possible NOT to see Lord of the Rings before you see the new prequel trilogy then do so, because as enjoyable and entertaining as the Hobbit was, it simply wasn't LOTR.
    We clearly see from the beginning of the
    We clearly see from the beginning of the "Unexpected Journey" that these are much simpler times in middle earth, set sixty years prior to LOTR, we see Bilbo almost unwittingly setting out with a set of dwarves led by their King, Thorin Oakenshield, to reclaim the Lonely Mountain, forcibly taken from them years before from the dragon, Smaug.
    An unneccesary forty minutes or so of introduction classes involving the dwarves, Bilbo and the welcome return of Ian McKellan as Gandalf the Grey did seem long-winded, but thats what happens when you split a 310 page book into three films.
    What enticed me about this film, as i was watching the LOTR trilogy a few weeks later, is how Jackson has beautifully bounced them off each other to create an almost parallel world with no stone left unturned, little things such as the orc sword given to Frodo by bilbo makes an appearance, the trolls which are briefly seen in LOTR, simple little devices like this which take us down memory lane that can be effortlessly entertaining without relying too much on the past.
    This is exactly why The Hobbit is so different, it was an attempt to rely on itself and not the massive cultural impact of the LOTR trilogy, something which Jackson succeeded greatly on. It's light-hearted, often humorous and exceptionally beautiful to watch. 48 fps took a little adjusting to, but where this HFR really shines are the action scenes in "Goblin City". A particular scene involving Bilbo and the dwarves find them trying to escape a duel between two stone giants, which is simply breathtaking to watch.
    Arguably the greatest part of the film is the brief return of Gollum, who engages in a battle of riddles with Bilbo, and without any spoilers, a predictable but smile-on-your-face discovery is made from our dear Hobbit.
    Excellent performances from Ian McKellan as Gandalf, Martin Freeman as a young bilbo, Richard Armitage as the miserable and brooding King Thorin as the the head of the dwarves, and the dwarves in general, its no secret the rigorous time in effort which goes into creating these creatures so bravo to all involved.
    With brief appearances from Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving and Christopher Lee reprising their roles of Galadriel, Elrond and Saruman the White respectively, its wonderful to see familiar faces so utilized so brilliantly, but expertly placed to set up their own stories which we see in the LOTR. I thought Elijah Wood's appearance as Frodo, while cool to see, was simply unnecessary and to simple a paycheck to earn on Wood's part.
    Light-hearted, humorous, and excellent action scenes make this a stand alone film to be reckoned with, while not as engrossing and spectacular as its predecessors, this prequel stands on its own two feet and has set up what could be a roller coaster of a trilogy on an epic scale.
  3. Dec 21, 2012
    If you liked The Lord of the Rings movies than you'll like this film. The visuals are absolutely incredible and it has that familiar LOTR feel that we all know and love. I couldn't quite give it a 10/10 for a few reasons. For one, there are so many characters that most of them have absolutely zero development whatsoever. Frodo gets more screen time than some of the dwarves and that'sIf you liked The Lord of the Rings movies than you'll like this film. The visuals are absolutely incredible and it has that familiar LOTR feel that we all know and love. I couldn't quite give it a 10/10 for a few reasons. For one, there are so many characters that most of them have absolutely zero development whatsoever. Frodo gets more screen time than some of the dwarves and that's really unfortunate. Bilbo, Gandalf, and Thorin are the focus of the film, as they should be, but the rest of the dwarves are essentially filler in the movie. I don't know how Peter Jackson could've done this differently without making the movie even longer (and it's already about 3 hours) so it's really just the nature of the content that has trouble transitioning to film. Secondly, the feel, while similar to LOTR, doesn't seem as epic. When watching Lord of the Rings, even after already having watched it before, there's a sense of awe that this film doesn't quite capture to the same degree. Regardless, the movie is outstanding and I have a feeling that if watching all three films back-to-back-to-back (when they're released that is), it will come off much better. I can't wait for the second installment. Expand
  4. Mar 24, 2013
    The first Hobbit movie in the franchise is not only exciting, it takes you on a thrill ride with not only some new creatures, but some old memorable character such as Gollum. At times, the story is distracted some cheesy humor, mostly caused by the dwarfs. But other than that it's a great start to the Hobbit trilogy.
  5. Dec 31, 2013
    First I like to start with that I am one hell 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy fan freak, it is EPIC to all the EPICS in human history of filmdom. I voted many movies for 10 outa 10 but by far LOTR stays in highest peak point on that list. I never compare HOBBIT to LOTR because the time and technology differentiate both the movie (trilogy) and I request you all not to do that. Another solidFirst I like to start with that I am one hell 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy fan freak, it is EPIC to all the EPICS in human history of filmdom. I voted many movies for 10 outa 10 but by far LOTR stays in highest peak point on that list. I never compare HOBBIT to LOTR because the time and technology differentiate both the movie (trilogy) and I request you all not to do that. Another solid reason is that I saw LOTR as plain live action graphic movie but saw HOBBIT a decade later in 3D with advance CGI technics in it.

Now lets talk about 'An Unexpected Journey', The first installment of 'The Hobbit' trilogy which tells the untold adventurous story of Bilbo Baggins, the ring holder, which take place 60 years early to the actual LOTR, it also tells how Bilbo Baggins ends with the precious Ring in his pocket that everyone in the Middle Earth was looking for it over the centuries. As usual stunning visuals, Peter Jackson did hell great job by handing the massive characters/cast/role and also got what he wanted from CGI technicians, It was not gigantic cast like LOTR trilogy though. In fact I have seen only 33.333...% of the movie so far I mean I yet to see other two parts (66.666...%) which make it a trilogy so my rating for this movie is temporary till next two years.

The movie begins with slow dramatic style, introducing all the characters one after one otherwise some could get mix up to identify all the dwarfs who look alike. And then little fun get pass through middle of the movie with small-small adventures then begins second half where most of the real adventures take place which kick starts with mountain Trolls. Extraordinary 3D effects with few great pop-ups, some action sequences were simply breathtaking especially one in underground Goblin city is treat for eyes specially if you see it in 3D version, expected ultra slow motion images Like what we see in cricket, sadly I did not get chance to see the movie in 48fps, that really scuks as being LOTR fan, great to see 500 years old freaky, an aggressive Gollum in 3D, you gonna witness the best Gollum in technically, Andy Serkis did great job in his short phase. There is a brief scene where this movie meets 'Fellowship of the Ring' where Gollum lose his Ring in a dark cave and that situation was bit strange and different than what we saw in LOTR may be because it was brief like i said before. Meet between them, Bilbo Baggins and Gollum was more like funny simultaneously frighting too, specially kids may feel that. Background score was so great throughout the movie like previous trilogy, even some songs too. When movie ended I left cinema hall like everyone else but felt I still wanted another hour of it, I was forced to leave the place How many of you will agree me, it started slowly but ended strongly, that's why all this drama of me.

In world cinema, there will be always some characters which will remain in people's mind forever, like the Joker, Jack Sparrow, Dark Vander etc, like that Galdalf is for LOTR, of course including Gollum, Ian McKellen was so awesome in all the four movies, without him or replace of him is like a bowl of curd rice without a Piece of pickle.

Overall an excellent standard movie, must see in big screen with 3D version specially if you are a film freak you should not miss it, some people might have not get satisfied with movie but all I can say is still another two is yet to come so it will make difference at least then. Now all we can do is wait.....
  6. Nov 27, 2013
    I kept delaying watching it for months, maybe because I was intimidated by the length. Who wouldn't be? Expanding a three hundred page book into a trilogy made me think Peter Jackson was having a hard time letting go of Middle Earth. And if all of the three movies were to be this long, he was at a risk of ridicule for over ambition. But if the first instalment is any indication, heI kept delaying watching it for months, maybe because I was intimidated by the length. Who wouldn't be? Expanding a three hundred page book into a trilogy made me think Peter Jackson was having a hard time letting go of Middle Earth. And if all of the three movies were to be this long, he was at a risk of ridicule for over ambition. But if the first instalment is any indication, he succeeded in creating a fulfilling beginning to this new adventure fairly well.

This time we follow a group of dwarves and a young Bilbo. Gandalf is the only major character from The Lord of the Rings to feature in this movie. Thorin the dwarf king replaces Aragorn as the thick skinned leader of the group.

The cinematography was up at the same standard as from the previous movies. It was shot with the Red One digital camera, with a frame rate per second of 48. It looked different and dare I say better than the previous trilogy.

The pacing was controlled with ingenuity and never for a moment did the movie drag. It was a constant shuffle between action pieces, dialogue, imagery and visual back story. But between some of the major plot points, I sensed that there was a lack of direction. It was like Jackson was trying to show us how these creatures lived instead of telling us a cohesive story as he did previously.

Martin Freeman is a much better actor than Elijah Wood and this works in favour of The Hobbit. Bilbo is much more engaging as the lead adventure seeker. Orcs and even Trolls seem to be more than just the cannon fodder as portrayed previously. They actually form some kind of societies and hold prolonged conversations, and display that they are capable of rudimentary intelligence. Thankfully Jackson dispenses with the stereotypes associated with these species to a certain degree.

The lost kingdom of the dwarves, Rivendale and the underground Orc city were created splendidly. The camera pans though the environment and gives you a sense of the enormity and beauty of these places. The sheer scope of this CGI is mind boggling. The amount of money spent on the movie is quite palpable. The score was refreshing and kept the tone light.

Lord of the Rings is simply a much better story than The Hobbit. The best was the Fellowship in my opinion. But The Hobbit still is better made than The Two Towers. It may be because the Fellowship was a much more interesting story to film, or because it was a realist tale, but I decided that The Hobbit lags behind the former in nearly every aspect. They are not even in the same league. But this is the mistake right here. These stories should not be compared at all, for they belong to almost different genres. LOTR was a mature tale about war and suffering it brings while The Hobbit is more of a children's adventure fairy tale with a fair amount of humour, where no one dies and everything sorts out in the end, almost Deus Ex Machina-style.
  7. Dec 25, 2012
    EPIC adventure. Outstanding visuals. Great actors. Nice 3D effects. Solid length. An AAA-class movie. No more, no less. I enjoyed every minute of the movie. Waiting for the next part!!!
  8. Dec 16, 2012
    It's damn good. Let's be honest and give it the respect it deserves without unfairly judging it against it's award-winning predecessors. It's biggest culprit is the length. It's like so many other films these days.....it's just a hair too long. Regardless, I found The Hobbit superbly entertaining, beautifully filmed, and thrillingly action-packed. As an avid Tolkien reader, this is a veryIt's damn good. Let's be honest and give it the respect it deserves without unfairly judging it against it's award-winning predecessors. It's biggest culprit is the length. It's like so many other films these days.....it's just a hair too long. Regardless, I found The Hobbit superbly entertaining, beautifully filmed, and thrillingly action-packed. As an avid Tolkien reader, this is a very fine representation of the book thus far. I can't wait to see what is yet to come. Expand
  9. Jan 13, 2013
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was able to give me what I expected from it, even more at times. People should give it a thought that the Hobbit was not written like the Lord of the Rings series, the latter had greater incorporation of darkness, the entire concept of the darkness ruling the world. Therefore it shouldn't be compared to the Hobbit, which is written in a totally differentThe Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was able to give me what I expected from it, even more at times. People should give it a thought that the Hobbit was not written like the Lord of the Rings series, the latter had greater incorporation of darkness, the entire concept of the darkness ruling the world. Therefore it shouldn't be compared to the Hobbit, which is written in a totally different way. Its premise doesn't revolve around the Ring, so that's why it doesn't have that dark soul or something like that. It's actually written in humorous way to keep the entire plot light and make it different from the LoTR series.
    Anyway, I still think that if we judge the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in its entirety, we would love this film. I did it and I love it. Peter Jackson always surprises me with his outstanding direction and his brilliant vision, the way he has visualized the book in the film is phenomenal. The best things about this film are of course its entire 3D experience and the cinematography, the beautiful sceneries and its characters, they are lovable, they make you believe in their mission, and especially the performance of Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins. I enjoyed it, he makes a good Baggins, his expressions and his dialogues are more funnier than I thought.
    Other things the majority of critics talked about were shooting the film in higher frame rates than the usual 24 FPS and the running time of the movie. Both of these arguments are invalid. Shooting a film in 48 fps is not a problem, the technology is advancing gradually and sooner or later, the filmmakers are gonna have to start doing it. Why blame Peter Jackson? He just utilized a latest technology to give us a new experience and we are doing everything but appreciating his efforts and the challenge he would have face while shooting the film. The second argument is a bit reasonable, the running time is long but why do you want a film like this to be shorter? I am really glad that it is that long so I was getting to experience every frame of the movie and loving it completely. I don't mind films with long running time as long as they don't get boring, and to me, the Hobbit never got boring at all. Everyone has their own opinions, a lot of people found the ending of the film ridiculous and dumb, but that's exactly how the LoTR films were ended especially the Fellowship of the Ring. You can't complain about a film that still has two parts to complete it and maybe your opinion would change after watching the remaining installments.
    Long story short, don't expect this film to be anything like LoTR trilogy, it may have some similarities (i.e. its characters, the locations, and a few sceneries) but it surely doesn't have that dark plot the LoTR films had. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the beginning of a funny, daring, terrifying and a beautiful adventure which might really turn into an epicness in the future when the remaining films come out. It is enjoyable, great to watch and finally gives you the satisfactory feeling of how the middle earth would have looked in 3D and better visual effects.
  10. Jan 1, 2013
    Is visually beautiful, strong and powerful, returning us to the Middle Ages so high, reigniting the flame of adventure as only Peter Jackson knows how to do, in the sense weak argument because I miss the thrill of a well-made ​​plot and only be a traveling group of dwarfs to return to rule their land.
  11. Jan 1, 2013
    I don't understand why this isn't getting the best of reviews. I loved it, and cannot wait for "Desolation of Smaug" If this looked good to you and you were looking forward to it, then don't be turned away. I loved the LOTR series and I love "Unexpected Journey".
  12. May 18, 2014
    Some great scenes in this movie, that I will remember for a while. Not as good as the second Hobbit movie though. It started off really well by introducing all of the main characters well as the movies take place before LOTR. There are some great battle scenes in this movie, and a scenes with a song that I really loved. It was a really long movie but I think every scene was needed in it.
  13. Dec 15, 2012
    Was a bit concerned after seeing the films fairly low score on here and on rotten but the film is absolutely perfect. I'm tempted to say it's even better than the previous 3 films in terms of it's scope, it's beautiful imagery and the special effects. I was enchanted for the entire duration of the movie, not a dull moment. Plenty of action too, probably more action than the other threeWas a bit concerned after seeing the films fairly low score on here and on rotten but the film is absolutely perfect. I'm tempted to say it's even better than the previous 3 films in terms of it's scope, it's beautiful imagery and the special effects. I was enchanted for the entire duration of the movie, not a dull moment. Plenty of action too, probably more action than the other three (not combined of course). Anyone who says the film is too long either doesn't like the film in general (so it seems drawn out) or just has a rubbish attention span. For me it was over in a flash. A masterpiece. Peter Jackson maintains his legendary status in my eyes. Expand
  14. Dec 19, 2012
    An extremely well done movie suited both for those familiar with the movies and those new to the series. Being a fan of the Lord of the Rings movies and book trilogy I thoroughly enjoyed this film. To describe the movie I think it is suffice to say that it doesn't feel like a 2 hr 45 min film. The production value is high and it definitely shows in all ways. Plenty of foreshadowing of whatAn extremely well done movie suited both for those familiar with the movies and those new to the series. Being a fan of the Lord of the Rings movies and book trilogy I thoroughly enjoyed this film. To describe the movie I think it is suffice to say that it doesn't feel like a 2 hr 45 min film. The production value is high and it definitely shows in all ways. Plenty of foreshadowing of what is come within the timeline of the movies so if you know the other three you'll love the references. Of the 4 total that have been made this is my second favorite (behind fellowship). Not quite as much mind-numbing action but the story is superb. You should definitely see this movie. One of the best of the year. Expand
  15. Aug 31, 2013
    Epic!!! I have to say that I liked it more than The Lord Of The Rings. Actually, I prefer Bilbo. Frodo was not as good as his father. I am waiting like crazy for the next chapter of the trilogy.
  16. Dec 17, 2012
    The Hobbit - An unexpected journey is a film of 2012 directed by Peter Jackson and based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. The story speaks of the facts prior to "The Lord of the Rings" and tells of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins who, together with Gandalf and thirteen dwarves will help to regain the treasure of the latter, guarded by the fearsome dragon Smaug. The film is very faithful toThe Hobbit - An unexpected journey is a film of 2012 directed by Peter Jackson and based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. The story speaks of the facts prior to "The Lord of the Rings" and tells of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins who, together with Gandalf and thirteen dwarves will help to regain the treasure of the latter, guarded by the fearsome dragon Smaug. The film is very faithful to the novel and adds some parts that are in the book just mentioned while in the film are expanded and will be key for the next chapters. Excellent choice of cast with actors formidable, fantastic photography and scenery typical of "Lord of the Rings", incredible special effects that digital is very little known and very beautiful music. Perhaps you might find the first part of the film a little bit slow while the second can achieve high moments of action. Expand
  17. Dec 20, 2012
    For the first time in 9 years, Peter Jackson takes us back to Middle Earth with the premiere of his prequel trilogy, "The Hobbit" - and what a return it is! "An Unexpected Journey" is like a drink of cold water on a hot summer day . . . a wonderfully satisfying romp of a film full of strong characters, top-notch acting, gorgeous special effects and sweeping cinematography. Take all theFor the first time in 9 years, Peter Jackson takes us back to Middle Earth with the premiere of his prequel trilogy, "The Hobbit" - and what a return it is! "An Unexpected Journey" is like a drink of cold water on a hot summer day . . . a wonderfully satisfying romp of a film full of strong characters, top-notch acting, gorgeous special effects and sweeping cinematography. Take all the epic sensations of LOTR, stick them onto a pure adventure story, and you arrive at this. Jackson immerses us in Middle Earth like never before - the film lives and breathes this world, and loves every minute of it. It's superbly well-done beginning to end, and the signature scene with Gollum is Andy Serkis's best performance of the character yet. Not only that, but we get to see the humble life of another wizard, Radagast; we're introduced to the presence of a sinister necromancer; we're breathtaken by a simply stunning sequence involving stone giants; we're swept through an epic battle in the goblin mountains; and ultimately, we are teased to the reveal of Smaug the dragon. It's just a beautiful, grand delight right from the start - the inner child of "LOTR" - and for anyone who enjoys simply experiencing Jackson's Middle Earth, this movie will quite likely dethrone the previous trilogy as your favorite of the series. Full 10 out of 10 for an awesome start to a highly promising new set of installments. Expand
  18. Feb 26, 2013
    Take note George Lucas, this is how you start a prequel trilogy. Fat gags aside, The Hobbit is everything the Lord of the Rings was: personal, stylish and charming yet simultaneously epic. Jackson includes enough familiarity, in the form of phenomenal cast, location and soundtrack, so fans can settle right back into Middle Earth as though they never left. Yet he also brings enough freshTake note George Lucas, this is how you start a prequel trilogy. Fat gags aside, The Hobbit is everything the Lord of the Rings was: personal, stylish and charming yet simultaneously epic. Jackson includes enough familiarity, in the form of phenomenal cast, location and soundtrack, so fans can settle right back into Middle Earth as though they never left. Yet he also brings enough fresh material to give the film a good pace and structure. Expand
  19. Dec 26, 2012
    Next to "The Avengers", this is the best movie of all 2012. The critics were way too harsh when reviewing this movie. I saw it, and I really did like it. It is based on the best fantasy book of all time. Well done Peter Jackson, well done.
  20. Jan 4, 2015
    Peter Jackson regresa después de tantos años a la tierra media de una forma épica, espectacular y increíble. Visualmente es Perfecta, en todos los aspectos es magistral. Aunque no este al nivel de "El Señor de Los Anillos" es y sera un clásico por siempre.
  21. Dec 28, 2012
    The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey is a truly awesome film, very true to the re-written, darker version of the hobbit, obviously written by J.R.R Tolkien himself. I thought this first part set the trilogy up incredibly well, the way that it started slowly pleased me, because if they they didn't make it start slowly, they'd have to make the other two films 20 minutes shorter. After the firstThe Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey is a truly awesome film, very true to the re-written, darker version of the hobbit, obviously written by J.R.R Tolkien himself. I thought this first part set the trilogy up incredibly well, the way that it started slowly pleased me, because if they they didn't make it start slowly, they'd have to make the other two films 20 minutes shorter. After the first hour had finished, the movie became frantic and incredibly exciting and thrilling to watch, with just incredible stuff going on, it's hard to describe how great the film is after the first hour or so has past. An Unexpected Journey has a distinct feel and charm to it, being similar to the Lord of the Rings, but different at the same time, it manages to catch your emotions in quite a unique way, and that's a good thing... So I rate this movie a... 9.9/10! Expand
  22. Jan 28, 2013
    of course it's good. it's primarily good because it makes all the right choices at the right places. the book is much lighter than the lord of the rings in terms of content, so the movie must be too. where the lord of the rings fills up the holes between it's moments of epicness with more epicness, the hobbit fills it up mostly with humour. also, the modern technology helps the world comeof course it's good. it's primarily good because it makes all the right choices at the right places. the book is much lighter than the lord of the rings in terms of content, so the movie must be too. where the lord of the rings fills up the holes between it's moments of epicness with more epicness, the hobbit fills it up mostly with humour. also, the modern technology helps the world come even more alive. Expand
  23. Jun 6, 2013
    Do NOT compare this film to LOTR. It is entirely a different story and a different meaning. LOTR is about the ultimate Good vs. Evil Battle. This is a journey that isn't as severe. This film excels. Peter Jackson's long awaited return to Middle Earth does not disappoint.
  24. Dec 28, 2012
    Lord of the Rings it's not - and that's the point. The wit and humour present in the book is held true in Jackson's film adaptation. While the deviations are significant from the source material, the addition of the content from appendices and other works in Middle Earth are seamlessly blended together with content from The Hobbit itself. The frame rate will take a few minutes to adjustLord of the Rings it's not - and that's the point. The wit and humour present in the book is held true in Jackson's film adaptation. While the deviations are significant from the source material, the addition of the content from appendices and other works in Middle Earth are seamlessly blended together with content from The Hobbit itself. The frame rate will take a few minutes to adjust to, but the result is nothing short of spectacular. If you take this film for what it is - you will find it a thoroughly enjoyable film and an excellent adaptation of the works of Tolkien. Expand
  25. Dec 31, 2012
    Appalling from start to finish. Too many farts jokes. Who the the heck did Radagast make up job?? Looked like a really **** make up job??!! No??!!
  26. May 4, 2013
    I don't get why everyone is so negative about this movie. This movie is really a great one, not so good as the Lord of the Rings-trilogy, but Peter Jackson did again excellent work. It's a good and sometimes funny movie. This is a must-see-movie for the whole family. Peter Jackson never disappoints me by far. I am really looking forward to the next movie, I'm very curious about the outerI don't get why everyone is so negative about this movie. This movie is really a great one, not so good as the Lord of the Rings-trilogy, but Peter Jackson did again excellent work. It's a good and sometimes funny movie. This is a must-see-movie for the whole family. Peter Jackson never disappoints me by far. I am really looking forward to the next movie, I'm very curious about the outer movies of the trilogy. Expand
  27. Dec 30, 2012
    The Hobbit...was...amazing! It lives up to its genre name which would be adventure. It was exciting, humorous, interesting,and weird. Part 1 is an extremely good start to what might 2nd most epic trilogy of all time.
  28. Jan 22, 2013
    The Hobbit was a fantastic movie that hit all the right notes, while perhaps hitting a couple of bum ones. First things first, the majority of critics did not know what they were on about: the only reason it got as bad reviews as it did was because of the reason that it's a prequel (although the book actually came a long while before) that is split into three parts. I must admit, I wasThe Hobbit was a fantastic movie that hit all the right notes, while perhaps hitting a couple of bum ones. First things first, the majority of critics did not know what they were on about: the only reason it got as bad reviews as it did was because of the reason that it's a prequel (although the book actually came a long while before) that is split into three parts. I must admit, I was very dubious of this film, I was when I heard it was going to be two parts all those moons ago, even more so when I heard it would be three; the film exceeded my expectations by quite a margin. Let's get this out of the way straight away, the acting is great from all involved, with Martin Freeman making quite the splash as Bilbo. At times I felt the film strayed a little too much from the source material, but not enough to not love every second of the (around) three hours of run time, but this was necessary (and interesting enough) to spread the relatively small book over three long films. If you are expecting a very dark tone like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, be warned, this is a lot more light-hearted, Peter Jackson has done a great job at making the Hobbit feel unique at the same time as definitely a part of the Lord of the Rings series. The film is very special effects heavy, perhaps too special effects heavy for some (it was at times), but not to the point of being overly distracting or unnecessary. The film felt nostalgic, new, and magical all at the same time, helped overwhelmingly by the soundtrack, cinematography and acting. It was fantastic to see Middle-Earh again on the big screen, putting a smile on my face for pretty much the whole film. The negatives though, characters returning from the Lord of the Rings trilogy did feel a little forced and unnecessary, as all of their respective scenes lasted too long, old Bilbo and Frodo were there for too long! But, no way near long enough to ruin the film on any level, overall, I'm very pleased the film turned out as well as it did and am very much looking forward to parts two and three. Wonderful: 94/100. Expand
  29. May 8, 2013
    Please don't pay any attention to the idiot critics over there on the left.. This movie was amazing, and as a LotR fan myself, I was pretty impressed by how it exceeded my expectations. The different fascinating locations, the interesting characters, the intriguing plot, it all comes together to form a great retelling of part of Tolkien's book. I began watching the Hobbit with slightPlease don't pay any attention to the idiot critics over there on the left.. This movie was amazing, and as a LotR fan myself, I was pretty impressed by how it exceeded my expectations. The different fascinating locations, the interesting characters, the intriguing plot, it all comes together to form a great retelling of part of Tolkien's book. I began watching the Hobbit with slight caution as I wasn't sure it would meet my expectations, but boy, was I in for a surprise. And so will anyone else who isn't sure whether to pick this one up or not, but all I have to say is: Whether you're a Lord of The Rings fan or not, watch this, NOW. Expand
  30. Dec 21, 2012
    The Hobbit what I heard about it is it was suppose to be long and boring. The Hobbit was not a let but gives us a hell of a ride and is worth your money for 3 hours of your life. I haven't seen such a good movie in a long time. All I can say now is well done Peter Jackson and looking forward to the next chapter. The Hobbit 9.1/10
  31. Dec 21, 2012
    Muy entretenida. Supera a la Trilogía original porque no tiene largas escenas pesadas. Muy divertidos los enanos y los trolls. Muchas escenas de acción. Muy buenos efectos especiales. Acertados personajes conocidos rejuvenecidos.
  32. Dec 17, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the best movie of 2012, before I watch the movie I thought tha would be not good, because it is inspired in a book that only have 200 pages, but Peter Jackson did a really great job and the 3D it's perfect. The soundtrack is very good. When The movies end I wanted more. And the actors are so good. Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen for me were the bestThe Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the best movie of 2012, before I watch the movie I thought tha would be not good, because it is inspired in a book that only have 200 pages, but Peter Jackson did a really great job and the 3D it's perfect. The soundtrack is very good. When The movies end I wanted more. And the actors are so good. Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen for me were the best actors of the whole movie Expand
  33. Aug 18, 2013
    Being a fan is irrelevant. There is nothing about this movie that doesn't excite anyone. The script was well-written, humorous and fresh. The movie was visually pleasing. The characters were interesting and unique. The soundtrack brought tears to my eyes. Again, there is nothing not to love. Everything Peter Jackson touches turns to gold, in the form of an Oscar!
  34. Jan 4, 2013
    This is nothing short of the beginning of new Lord of the Rings trilogy, and that's basically the best fact ever, and a total reward to those who love TLOTR. It's all here: the music, the spectacle, and a few returning characters of course. My gripe is that the story isn't pushed along fast enough by the action. Meaning, after a battle not much has changed, and on to the next battle. ButThis is nothing short of the beginning of new Lord of the Rings trilogy, and that's basically the best fact ever, and a total reward to those who love TLOTR. It's all here: the music, the spectacle, and a few returning characters of course. My gripe is that the story isn't pushed along fast enough by the action. Meaning, after a battle not much has changed, and on to the next battle. But enough complaints! I'm back in the world of TLOTR! Expand
  35. Apr 26, 2013
    I loved every second of it, except for a few shamelessly obvious (i.e., lacking in subtlety) bits. Like Jackson's LOTR trilogy, The Hobbit's CGI is superb (unlike 99% of films that rely on CGI) and its hair/makeup, production design, and visual effects would have been worthy Oscar winners. I also appreciate the film's thematic reverence for nature, which ironically and unfortunately is atI loved every second of it, except for a few shamelessly obvious (i.e., lacking in subtlety) bits. Like Jackson's LOTR trilogy, The Hobbit's CGI is superb (unlike 99% of films that rely on CGI) and its hair/makeup, production design, and visual effects would have been worthy Oscar winners. I also appreciate the film's thematic reverence for nature, which ironically and unfortunately is at odds with the production's real-life abysmal treatment of some of its animal actors.Oh well, nature lovers should definitely see it anyway, but let's hope the production team learned its lesson this time. Highly recommended, and looking forward to the next two installments. Expand
  36. Jan 30, 2013
    Storyline: The Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins is coerced into going on a fantastical adventure with Gandalf the wizard and 13 Dwarfs. In there travels they meet an assortment of creatures. This is only the first of a planned trilogy although the book 'The Hobbit' is quite short. For Ring fans, we finally get to see a Dwarf woman and we learn why Dwarfs hate Elves.

Acting: Martin Freeman did a

Acting: Martin Freeman did a decent job playing a younger Bilbo who all Ring fans have become so familiar with. Richard Armitage as Thorin was also worthy of mention. Andy Serkis played Gollum once more and did exceptional work. There were a few surprise cameos as well and all the supporting cast were good.

Direction: Peter Jackson has outdone himself with this one and must surely get an Oscar nod.

Production: This film is one of those examples where you can really see where all of the $180 million went. Almost every scene is filled with spectacular detail. This has to be watched 2-3 times to take it all in. There seems to be a decent enough effort to use real world action where possible which helped with authenticity.

Conclusion: The complete cinematic experience. This film should be universally accessible and covers so many topics. I can't recommend this more highly.

Score: 10/10
  37. Jan 7, 2013
    Review based on 48fps non-3d edition as 3d gives me headaches.
    Review based on 48fps non-3d edition as 3d gives me headaches.
    I was very impressed with the LOTR trilogy by Peter Jackson, after being worried after seeing his earlier works...but then as now faith has been rewarded. The Hobbit is pretty much as I would have expected it, it matches most of the previous 3 movies high standards without too many shortcummings to stretch a short kids book into another 3 part epic. Lets not forget there is more story and background stuff in "The Hobbit" than all the Harry Potter series put together, so lets look at the main things Jackson got right. 1. 48fps is fantastic and whingers should shut up crying about out of date 24fps formats, though I agree 3d sucks and needs to die quickly.
    2. The story is pretty faithful to the book, and actually improves on some duller bits with some awesome special fx action sequences to pad it out in such a way it feels right at home with the lore.
    3. The acting is fantastic, Martin freeman was the perfect choice, and to have a lot of the original cast show up is also and linking it seemlessly to the LOTR movies is very welcome...
    4. The dwarves... okay they are there to carry the humour, they were written with next to no personality and stereotypical, but it's a kids book remember.

So why did I only give it 9/10, well some places didn't really need to be in there (Mountain Giants) but they were nice additions for nothing I guess... nobody would really miss having it when the movie is over 2:30hrs long... but I bought the extended LOTR so I want the lot...warts n all lol. So in essence it's a little long for kids to sit through but ideal for the nippers once it's out on Bluray.
  38. Dec 14, 2012
    Way better movie than the Fellowship of the Rings. The only complaint I have is it is a prequel so you have a rough idea what happens. Moved reasonably quickly when you consider the 2 1/2 hour length. Ignore the major critics ratings. The major critics like gay cowboys, southern racists (apparently the only racists who ever lived), and environmentalist heroes and could not care less aboutWay better movie than the Fellowship of the Rings. The only complaint I have is it is a prequel so you have a rough idea what happens. Moved reasonably quickly when you consider the 2 1/2 hour length. Ignore the major critics ratings. The major critics like gay cowboys, southern racists (apparently the only racists who ever lived), and environmentalist heroes and could not care less about a good story or interesting characters. Expand
  39. Dec 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An absolutely stunning fantasy adventure. I was enthralled from start to finish. Does it help to know the book, and the mythical background? Maybe, but I can't unknow it, whereas those ignorant of the story of how (and why) a wizard calls in on a homely hobbit to persuade him to go on a quest, have a choice.

Great though the Lord of the Rings movies were, Jackson and his team have created a more complete fantasy world than was possible 10 years ago, and populated it with humour and humanity. As was the case with the last trilogy, the actors make a great ensemble, with enough strong performances to carry the story without any of them overwhelming. Where previously the studios were wary of making audiences sit through long movies, Jackson can here take his time, not just in expanding (not padding) the original tale with additional material that helps stitch the entire of Middle Earth into existence, but in allowing critical scenes time to unfold and draw you in.

The action sequences are just mesmerising. Knowing that they are created with 'special effects' does not matter if you allow yourself the pleasure of wallowing in the details and being carried breathlessly through the backstory of the loss of the dwarves' home of Erebor, and the fights with trolls, wargs and goblins.

But the two most telling moments - proof that within this oft derided genre are the essentials of what story is about - are the most quiet. The scene where Bilbo and Gollum meet under the mountain for the first time climaxes with the critical moment for the whole of Middle Earth where the hobbit, hiding from Gollum, who is in turn hiding from the dwarves, has the chance to kill the pathetic creature from whom he has obtained the ring. He changes his mind.

But for me, the most affecting moment came after the rumbustious goings-on when the dwarves first arrive, and Bilbo wakes to find they have tidied up and gone, leaving him to his ordinary life. The silence ringing round Bag End is terrifying, and it is this realisation that he has lost his chance to live a real life that compels Bilbo to change his mind once more, and propel him out of the door.

Now, to find a cinema where I can watch it again, this time in 48fps and 3D!
  40. Dec 28, 2012
    I don't know what happened to the official critics to rate this movie so badly. This is one hell of a movie, entertaining, has got the "film" aspect, rouses emotions in you, a has a message. Even better the film will be if you read the book. You can't go wrong when you see how many people rated this movie X>60% (green). Reccommended!
  41. Dec 25, 2012
    OK let me get this straight, the critics gave this a 58 and Django blah blah blah an 80? Something is wrong with that picture. I read The Hobbit when I was about 25 years old and loved it. Here I am now 50 and to see the wonder of the book come right of the pages into a BEAUTIFULLY shot movie and was right on line with the book just gave me chills down my back it was so good. Beside theOK let me get this straight, the critics gave this a 58 and Django blah blah blah an 80? Something is wrong with that picture. I read The Hobbit when I was about 25 years old and loved it. Here I am now 50 and to see the wonder of the book come right of the pages into a BEAUTIFULLY shot movie and was right on line with the book just gave me chills down my back it was so good. Beside the Avengers, this was the best movie that I have seen all year. I saw Batman, Spider-Man, The Avengers, (you can see what kind of movies I like to pay to see) and then I saw The Hobbit. Wow is all I can say about the movie. It had the heart , look, and story of an epic movie. Wow did it deliver. The critics are a bunch of stupid quacks! Take your family to see this EPIC movie. This is a GREAT family movie! Expand
  42. Oct 1, 2013
    Why are half of the film's reviews complaining about running time?
    You don't watch a movie for the purpose of seeing it end.
    If you have that kind of mindset, obviously you're going to "fall asleep" yeah, I'm looking at the fool(s) who gave this film a 0. A score of 0 is more deserving for actual terrible movies like Jack Black's "Year One". Reviewer Peter Travers is obviously
    Why are half of the film's reviews complaining about running time?
    You don't watch a movie for the purpose of seeing it end.
    A score of 0 is more deserving for actual terrible movies like Jack Black's "Year One". Reviewer Peter Travers is obviously uninformed and had the gall to state:

"48 frames per second… Couple that with 3D and the movie looks so hyper-real that you see everything that's fake about it…"

Idiot! More than 90% of the film was done in New Zealand. Uninformed prick...
    And the first hour of the film isn't even boring...
    It actually is very humorous and charming!
    PLUS IT'S THE FIRST MOVIE OF A PLANNED TRILOGY!
    YOU CAN'T EXPECT AN ARRAY OF ACTION!
    There are film's like "Social Network" where they have minutes of utter drab and unrelated content like teenage partying, yet get more positive reactions in compared to "The Hobbit".
    Half these film critics around the world suck-ass at writing a real review.

"The Hobbit" is an example of movie-making at its finest executing an adventurous atmosphere and a defining script. Coupled with its various environments, familiar faces and its set of new ones, the film stands as an artwork of its own; one many other movie-makers should aspire to do. It's witty, epic and innovative; a movie worth watching again and again...
  43. Dec 14, 2012
    If you're going to put this a 0 just because this was not return of the king in epicness you will get a no this review was not helpful from me. I really enjoyed this movie I think it was my favorite movie of this year. I have seen all the big hit movies and this type of movie just spoke to me. Yes this is not LotR but this is a separate story that collides with LotR. There really wasIf you're going to put this a 0 just because this was not return of the king in epicness you will get a no this review was not helpful from me. I really enjoyed this movie I think it was my favorite movie of this year. I have seen all the big hit movies and this type of movie just spoke to me. Yes this is not LotR but this is a separate story that collides with LotR. There really was nothing I can say that was wrong with this movie. Expand
  44. Dec 24, 2014
    We've gotten used to the world of hobbits, elves, dwarves and orcs so maybe Its a taking a bit more every time to keep us entertained. But this is a fun night at the theater. A morality lesson for kids ( and Adults)..loads of action, heaps of special effects and the odd scare. The slight minuses are that Smaug doesn't feature so much and the Orcs are so frail that a two foot nothingWe've gotten used to the world of hobbits, elves, dwarves and orcs so maybe Its a taking a bit more every time to keep us entertained. But this is a fun night at the theater. A morality lesson for kids ( and Adults)..loads of action, heaps of special effects and the odd scare. The slight minuses are that Smaug doesn't feature so much and the Orcs are so frail that a two foot nothing hobbit with a pebble can knock them over. Expand
  45. Jan 2, 2013
    After almost a decade since the last adventure in Middle Earth, Peter Jackson shows us that he's still got it with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. While I do not consider this to be as good as the almighty Lord Of The Rings trilogy, it's not trying to be, it's not trying to be another Lord Of The Rings film. The Hobbit is essentially a children's book that is more focused on fun andAfter almost a decade since the last adventure in Middle Earth, Peter Jackson shows us that he's still got it with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. While I do not consider this to be as good as the almighty Lord Of The Rings trilogy, it's not trying to be, it's not trying to be another Lord Of The Rings film. The Hobbit is essentially a children's book that is more focused on fun and humour than the LOTR, and Jackson has translated that brilliantly into this film by staying incredibly faithful to the source material (even down to the songs the dwarves sing) and with a very strong script that has many laughs and sustains more of a lighter tone for the most part. Make no mistake though, this is definitely an epic fantasy film full of intense action, brilliant set pieces and great characters. The Hobbit himself : Bilbo Baggins is definitely the stand out due mainly to Martin Freeman's fantastic performance as the character, he completely nails Bilbo by brilliantly portraying the character's journey from the "playing it safe and avoiding trouble" attitude to the determined and adventure craving Bilbo we see in TLOTR, and I looking forward to see this continue in the next two films. The rest of the cast are also very impressive with Sir Ian Mckellan giving a brilliant performance once again as Gandalf the Grey and ofcourse there are the 13 dwarves who are all played well, look great and are great fun to watch on screen. The presentation of this film is incredible, I watched this in 2d and with the normal frame rate and I thought the film looked gorgeous, the direction, the cinematography and the special effects all came together to make this film beautiful and the soundtrack is also fantastic. However while watching it, I did feel that too much CGI was used at some points, I understand that they are not trying to make this film as gritty as TLOTR but there were times when I thought that practical effects would have looked better on screen, nonetheless the film looks incredible. The main problem with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey for me is it's length. 2 hours and 45 minutes is a hell of a long time to show just one third of the story in the book and while I understand that Peter Jackson is using more source material than just The Hobbit book but I just felt that there could be half an hour in this film that could be cut for time. The beginning is where the film is at it's slowest, and while it delivers it's exposition very well, and the main characters are introduced in great fashion, by about half an hour into the film I felt like we've been spending a little too much time in the shire and it was time to get on with the adventure. There is also a seen featuring Ian Holm and Elijha Wood as older Bilbo and Frodo, while it was great to see Frodo again, there was no point to that scene and it just made the beginning of the film feel to drawn out. There are other scenes throughout the film that feel like they could have been cut and these scenes make this seem almost like a directors cut rather than the theatrical version of The Hobbit, and I think it's a case of Peter Jackson over indulging in this world. Once the film gets going, it reaches brilliance, the scenes involving Bilbo meeting Gollum were absolutely incredible and it's just things like that that made me feel like I am experiencing entertainment of the highest class. It has it's issues that are hard to overlook but overall, this is an excellent film that I highly recommend. Expand
  46. Jan 11, 2013
    Far over the misty mountains cold... 4 points just for this and the end-titles song. Another 5 points for the Tolkien experience. I save the last point to give it to the next two parts of the trilogy. For all those who gave bad reviews, I wish they are eaten alive by Smaug !!
  47. Jul 5, 2013
    I am addressing the following post to all those who hated The Hobbit. Die. Go and die a horrible, horrible death. I can understand that some people aren't into fantasy and the Middle Earth universe, but that is no excuse for hating such an excellent film. A big complaint about the film is that it's being dragged out, and that a 300 page book is to small for three 2.5h+ films. They areI am addressing the following post to all those who hated The Hobbit. Die. Go and die a horrible, horrible death. I can understand that some people aren't into fantasy and the Middle Earth universe, but that is no excuse for hating such an excellent film. A big complaint about the film is that it's being dragged out, and that a 300 page book is to small for three 2.5h+ films. They are making them this long because they want to include the appendices from The Silmarillion, so that it's explained better for someone who hasn't read the books. Another big complaint was that there was too much CGI. And to this I say, some films are made of nothing but CGI, and yet nobody bats an eyelid at them. Also, the CGI gives a lot more potential to the films, in the fact that you couldn't have a giant goblin with a scrotum beard without CGI. Everything looks a load more like you're in a place where not everything looks like a human, and that the other races in middle earth don't have to have the same features as man. Also, the complaint about all the gimmicks, to do with 48fps and things, that's understandable, but don't hate the film over it! It's like if a game released a below average DLC, and someone stopped playing the game over it. Just don't use it if you don't like it! Also, some people complained that it is too slow, and to that I say this. Django: Unchained had a runtime of 180 minutes, WHICH IS LONGER THAN THE HOBBIT. And for me, Django dragged on, The Hobbit FLEW by. And the final complaint was that it wasn't as good as Lord of the Rings. Just to clarify, The Lord of the Rings has been considered as one of the greatest cinematic achievements of man, and The Hobbit hasn't even had the other two films in the series released yet. So, if you see anyone online, or in real life, who is debunking or saying this film is terrible, just send 'em this post. And tell them that "Gay" Isn't a valid criticism. Thank you for your time. Expand
  48. Jan 3, 2013
    After reading the strangely up and down reviews for this movie, I was very pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed this movie, and honestly haven't felt such a full movie-going experience since seeing the original trilogy in theaters. My biggest complaint was the insane HD look when seeing it in IMAX, I find that it looks way too real, stealing magic and warmth from the overall look andAfter reading the strangely up and down reviews for this movie, I was very pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed this movie, and honestly haven't felt such a full movie-going experience since seeing the original trilogy in theaters. My biggest complaint was the insane HD look when seeing it in IMAX, I find that it looks way too real, stealing magic and warmth from the overall look and feel of the movie. Though the special effects were quite impressively real looking to fit in with hyper-real look. Otherwise, I found the story, acting, script, and overall film to be truly excellent. Certainly not perfect, but neither were those LOTR films, people. Expand
  49. Dec 18, 2012
    This Film is an epic masterpiece. Peter Jackson has absolutely smashed it again with the superb adaptation. In this films first weekend box-office it has the highest record earning of any film produced worldwide. While this adaptation is from a 300 odd paged graphic children's novel, so yes it has been expanded to be made as a prequel saga for LOTR. I sincerely believe with no realThis Film is an epic masterpiece. Peter Jackson has absolutely smashed it again with the superb adaptation. In this films first weekend box-office it has the highest record earning of any film produced worldwide. While this adaptation is from a 300 odd paged graphic children's novel, so yes it has been expanded to be made as a prequel saga for LOTR. I sincerely believe with no real offence to the original novel. I am sure Tolkien would be smiling at this recreation and to relive his work, God rest his soul. What a wonderfully made film, and while watching was as if in middle earth itself, with each scene and character their splendour and charms. Great detail, dialogue, and acting. The Bilbo Baggins, Gollum scene was my favourite being witty, funny, and dynamic. I wasn't bored at all for a second throughout it's lengthy duration the backgrounds and characters the adventure provided was plenty of sufficient entertainment to keep my attention throughout. It started with a great introduction and continued throughout with plenty of adventure while finishing well in line with a return, instead of just an abrupt ending. I can hardly for its return with much anticipation for the rest of this wonderful story.
    I cannot understand for a second why critic's gave this epic masterpiece a box-office smashing sensation the bad press they have done. Honestly what do they know? Please watch this film for yourselves before making any opinions. Although obviously with them rating higher worse films this year it has been questionable as to their motives. Weren't they paid, HaHa.
  50. Jun 25, 2014
    A great action, adventure, fantasy film. Improves on the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and is less dark, sad, and violent. It's well balanced between non-exciting moments to exciting moments. Has some good parts for comedy and laughs. Has a rat gripping storyline, jaw-dropping CGI and awesome action scenes. A great film for everyone, and an absolute must see! And must see the sequel!
  51. Dec 14, 2012
    the hobbit is a great movie the story of the movie,the affects,and the 3d for me was good a great movie but i will say that movie was very long 3 hours.so i will give the hobbit an unexpected journey 9/10 and i will recommend to you to see the movie.and i forgot to remind golum(my precious). you know what i regret about the 3 hours i will give it 10/10
  52. Dec 15, 2012
    Any fan of the book will be pleased by the perfection Peter Jackson has recreated again. Don't be fooled by the critics, this is not LOTR4 It's The Hobbit. 10/10 going to go see it again.
  53. Dec 14, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is about Dwarves reclaiming they're homeland from Smaug the Dragon and Bilbo Baggins gets thrown into this epic adventure. Yes I am a huge Lord of The Rings fan and I dare say I prefer it than Star Wars in most circumstances. Just my taste. After hearing the harsh criticism I was going to expect an "okay" movie that was bloated. I'm happy to say it was aThe Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is about Dwarves reclaiming they're homeland from Smaug the Dragon and Bilbo Baggins gets thrown into this epic adventure. Yes I am a huge Lord of The Rings fan and I dare say I prefer it than Star Wars in most circumstances. Just my taste. After hearing the harsh criticism I was going to expect an "okay" movie that was bloated. I'm happy to say it was a fantastic journey of my own. Other than a few minor problems, I thought this was a great movie. I also saw it in 48 fps and I was ready to get disgusted by the visuals but to be truthfully honest I found nothing wrong with this. This is how I saw it but everyone has different taste so therefore the 48 fps for me is alright in my book. I was so happy to return to Middle-Earth. As soon as Bilbo lit the candle the 48 fps was weird, than not even before the camera leaves Bilbo's face, I just got used to it. It does have its pacing problem where it almost never gets to the point, which it didn't bother me at all. Though to a non Tolkien fan you will find it frustrating. The only main characters are Gandalf, Bilbo, and Thorin. Balin, Fili and Kili are secondary characters and that's really all the characters you get to know. There are thirteen dwarves but you don't get almost anything from the majority of the group. Unlike in the Fellowship you get to care and get to know about all the nine members in the first Lord of the Rings. So there aren't character development for the majority. Personally I had enough character development from Martin Freeman who is just so perfect for this role. Ian Mckellen is a legendary presence as always. Thorin played by Richard Armitrage is one of my new favorite characters replacing Aragon as the heroic leader of the group. There is so much development in his character especially the relationship between him and Bilbo and his desire for this quest above anyone. He is the most important new character and a great one. As I have said the acting is nothing short of great. Andy Serkis has come back to grace us with his presence in the best scene of the entire movie. Riddles between Bilbo and Gollum are top notch acting. I would be saddened if he did not return for the rest two installments . Howard Shore's score is as great as it has ever been. As a movie lover and a Tolkien fan I am happy to say its worth a watch, if you're curious about this movie. I don't know if you should watch this in 48 fps but my experience was good. If you love this fantasy as much as I do than I guarantee another great addition to this Epic adventure. You may call me a "fanboy" because I would decline every negative review and by going against all the negative backlash said on the 48 fps or whatever they are nitpicking. Everyone has different experiences. If you thought ill of The Lord of the Rings I'd recommend don't watch it. My score is a 9/10. Expand
  54. Dec 14, 2012
    Marked it down a point for two very ropey effects (spotted), an inappropriate Joss Whedon-esque line of dialogue courtesy of the Goblin King and a **** Wilhelm Scream.

Otherwise pure brilliance
  55. Dec 31, 2012
    Please - pay no heed to soulless modernist critics who are dead inside and have no stomach for a film that is pure magic. I saw the film today, finally, and I went into the cinema with no small amount of trepidation after having read a number of less than stellar reviews. I need not have troubled myself. The film was a quasi-spiritual experience for me. It's perfectly enunciated themes ofPlease - pay no heed to soulless modernist critics who are dead inside and have no stomach for a film that is pure magic. I saw the film today, finally, and I went into the cinema with no small amount of trepidation after having read a number of less than stellar reviews. I need not have troubled myself. The film was a quasi-spiritual experience for me. It's perfectly enunciated themes of unashamed heroism, self-sacrifice, loyalty, nobility and courage were presented in a dazzling array of scenes that were filled with adventure and laden with meaning. It is clear that Jackson is using this trilogy as a vehicle to tell us not only the thrilling story of The Hobbit, but also a broader story drawn from the appendices from Lord of the Rings, painting a magnificent picture of the world leading up to the War for the Ring. I came out of the session totally speechless - and profoundly impacted. After having re-read some of the critic reviews I can only conclude that they have some philosophical bias that prevents them from giving Jackson the praise he so richly deserves; either that or there is some effort afoot to bring Jackson down, or prevent another Tolkienian conquest of popular media. It is true the values and subtext of the film speak strongly of traditional values - perhaps this is an unwelcome message for some. For me, it speaks directly to the human heart in a manner so powerful and so seldom achieved nowadays that it is all the more magical when it does happen. Truly inspiring, eye-opening, thrilling. I could go into details and try to explain just how wonderful it all is, how perfectly cast, how masterfully crafted... but words fail - just go see it. It is truly a masterpiece. Note: I saw the film in 24fps, 3D. No technical complaints whatsoever. Expand
  56. Dec 14, 2012
    The Hobbit is a great movie.The story it told,the battles, even the way it showed thing that explain more of the lord of the rings. For a prequel(and the first book) it was pretty good. some parts did start to slow things down but with a story this big things have to be mentioned in the first movie.If you have seen the lord of the rings or read any of the books,see this movie.If youThe Hobbit is a great movie.The story it told,the battles, even the way it showed thing that explain more of the lord of the rings. For a prequel(and the first book) it was pretty good. some parts did start to slow things down but with a story this big things have to be mentioned in the first movie.If you have seen the lord of the rings or read any of the books,see this movie.If you haven't then you can still go see this movie. Expand
  57. Dec 23, 2012
    Does very well to follow the 3rd edition of the Hobbit which includes Gollum's revised character and the pieces added from the Silmarillion. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the film, which is light and much more in style with the feeling of the book. While the second act was quite long, I was never bored and appreciated the addition of Galadriel to give some balance to the cast.Does very well to follow the 3rd edition of the Hobbit which includes Gollum's revised character and the pieces added from the Silmarillion. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the film, which is light and much more in style with the feeling of the book. While the second act was quite long, I was never bored and appreciated the addition of Galadriel to give some balance to the cast. Well done, and I look forward to the next one! Expand
  58. Dec 14, 2012
    Amazing film, what the critics say is sort of right: bloated story, slow beginning, cartoony, silly action and special effects, but it is minor and you will not notice it as the exciting story and beautiful world keeps coming. Some scenes such as the spectacular Riddles in the dark are straight out of the book, but Jackson has made a few changes and added new material which on a large isAmazing film, what the critics say is sort of right: bloated story, slow beginning, cartoony, silly action and special effects, but it is minor and you will not notice it as the exciting story and beautiful world keeps coming. Some scenes such as the spectacular Riddles in the dark are straight out of the book, but Jackson has made a few changes and added new material which on a large is also great. perfect acting all round. Everything is pretty much amazing. Just don't listen to the critics and watch it! Expand
  59. Dec 17, 2012
    Idiot critics that give high rates to movies like Twilight cannot be taken serious. The Hobbit is amazing, spectacular, EPIC!!! it has heart, it has splendor, it has visuals, it has character, everything you love about movies is here. By the time I was done watching it I had no idea it had already been close to 3 hrs, it went by so quick, and I wanted to watch more! I cant wait for part 2Idiot critics that give high rates to movies like Twilight cannot be taken serious. The Hobbit is amazing, spectacular, EPIC!!! it has heart, it has splendor, it has visuals, it has character, everything you love about movies is here. By the time I was done watching it I had no idea it had already been close to 3 hrs, it went by so quick, and I wanted to watch more! I cant wait for part 2 and 3. Peter J is a movie maker master Expand
  60. Xon
    May 11, 2013
    I was quite weary beforehand knowing that it would be a trilogy. However, all the narrative threats tie together and is pertinent to the wider middle-earth mythos. The vsiual and sound quality is top notch, and the active above reproach. It has neatly set up the story for the next installments and I am definitely looking forward to it.
  61. Mar 8, 2013
    The great first part of the trilogy. What a wonderful movie. You'll kidnap in this world and you won't want to get out. HFR is perfect for this film it shows this world so beautiful and dangerous,so real. 9/10 because sometimes it is a bit illogical that the dwarfs always escape from every dangerous situation without that one hurts or one dies.
  62. Mar 17, 2013
    great movie, that is length wise the same as lord of the rings. focusing more on a character and his well adventures. but the overall story seems more about dwarves trying to reclaim their lost kingdom...sometimes i get confused to who is the main character, thorin or bilbo. do the characters seem overpowered..or the orcs ARE overwhelmingly stupid as they were made to be. the fight scenegreat movie, that is length wise the same as lord of the rings. focusing more on a character and his well adventures. but the overall story seems more about dwarves trying to reclaim their lost kingdom...sometimes i get confused to who is the main character, thorin or bilbo. do the characters seem overpowered..or the orcs ARE overwhelmingly stupid as they were made to be. the fight scene between the dwarf and that orc leader was hilarious fail. gandalf does nothing in the early parts so just an old guy walking around with a stick basically. there are some familiar faces in this movie from the lord of the ring movie series. the movie is a bit long, but fills up time with great visuals. it doesn't have that dark antagonist, like smeegul in the lord of the ring series, that would add some nice twists to it. Expand
  63. Dec 14, 2012
    I sometimes wonder whether or not the critics watch the same movies we do.

I sometimes wonder whether or not the critics watch the same movies we do.

The Hobbit is the first in a 3 part story based on the novel of the same name. For those who have read the story we know that The Hobbit is a movie of great grandeur and true to the story it retells. The acting, the script, the visuals, the music... all create a whole that is greater than the sum of their parts, delivering to use a great beginning to an unfolding epic story. Don't miss the movie, you'll ask yourself "did I really just sit for nearly 3 hours? It went by so quickly!"
  64. Dec 17, 2012
    Fantastic and very well done movie. The critics were/are, as usual, insignificant in their stupidity and love of Hollywoods current obsession with dark depressing ideas. Here's a movie that is beautiful to watch, well scripted, well acted, incredibly grand in scope, meaningful, family friendly yet not boring, and in truth, more exactly fitting to Tolkien's book than was Jackson's previousFantastic and very well done movie. The critics were/are, as usual, insignificant in their stupidity and love of Hollywoods current obsession with dark depressing ideas. Here's a movie that is beautiful to watch, well scripted, well acted, incredibly grand in scope, meaningful, family friendly yet not boring, and in truth, more exactly fitting to Tolkien's book than was Jackson's previous adaptation of The Lord of The Rings. Expand
  65. Mar 8, 2013
    Great movie! I miss a bit of the Lord Of The Rings atmosphere because it plays in the same universe. But ok, this movie is better to watch for kids. Lord Of The Rings was much more complex. Iam fine with this the movie was awesome on its own, the humor (especially the dwarfs and ogre). I also must say that the movie is not to long it runs like 2,5h. Its interesting until the end.
  66. Dec 15, 2012
    Can't believe the critic score, what the hell is this 58? It is an excellent and brilliant movie, technically and brilliantly directed. The first thing that we need to do is to see this movie without the idea that we are seeing Lord of the Rings because it is based in a novel that was made for child. Evidently it is not a movie for child but it has points of humor and a different essenceCan't believe the critic score, what the hell is this 58? It is an excellent and brilliant movie, technically and brilliantly directed. The first thing that we need to do is to see this movie without the idea that we are seeing Lord of the Rings because it is based in a novel that was made for child. Evidently it is not a movie for child but it has points of humor and a different essence from the las triology. Personally, I found this film one of the best of the year and I don't understand how films that are completely bullshi* has good punctuations and this one no. Expand
  67. Dec 18, 2012
    I saw the 2D version--which I highly recommend to do. There is no good reason that this movie is getting such low reviews. Is it as good as The Return of the King? No. As my opinion goes, there are between 5 and 10 other movies including the first two LOTR, The Avengers, Iron Man, and SW: RotS and SW: RotJ that are THAT good, perfect 10/10. Is it as good The Hobbit as written in theI saw the 2D version--which I highly recommend to do. There is no good reason that this movie is getting such low reviews. Is it as good as The Return of the King? No. As my opinion goes, there are between 5 and 10 other movies including the first two LOTR, The Avengers, Iron Man, and SW: RotS and SW: RotJ that are THAT good, perfect 10/10. Is it as good The Hobbit as written in the novel exactly word for word? No. The added one armed orc is forced and his dialogue is bad and unoriginal ("get the dwarven scum") and the whole orc chase scene after them mines is total overkill (as is them surviving a fall on the timber bridge--there is much more suspension of disbelief required in this film). But my goodness people, the other two hours are really, really great. People complained of there being no great characters to identify with. This film has THEMES. An unexpected journey. Stepping out your front door and out of your comfort zone. HELPING homeless people regain a HOME. This is 10/10 stuff. The only reason I give it a 9 is because of the little campy stuff that was added in. I would watch this movie again in a second, and I just might. Expand
  68. Dec 16, 2012
    As a book stickler, i have to drop the score to a 9 out of 10. As a movie lover, this film was an entertaining and visually a treat for the eyes. I would highly recommend it and have even higher hopes for the next two hobbit movies.
  69. Dec 15, 2012
    I've seen it twice, both in 3D and 48 FPS.
    So, let's get this out of the way, there is nothing wrong with it, this is but the beginning of a new era of HD in cinema, critics are being way too harsh on this, and this is the first movie actually worth watching in 3D in a long time.
    I've seen it twice, both in 3D and 48 FPS.
    Second: yes, it takes a while to get used to 48fPS but if you are a gamer/PC gamer, you should be used to 30+ FPS (60FPS if you're a PC gamers) so you won't have any problems, like myself
    3-the pacing is sloppy? yes, but then again, a few scenes make the movie way too long, but they are't bad. I mean, the beginning is perfect, as it describes Bilbo's ways and how he's gonna change
    4-a few cliche moments but nohing major enough to make it a 6/10, after all, Gandalf always does this things in the books
    5-Overall the movie is crazy good, and as far as I understand, the movie could've been a bit shorter, but aside from the length and the pacing, I have no problems with this film.

I say: watch it and ignore the critics, this is one of the moments in which the critics all say one thing while the crowd will say something different, judge it on your own.
  70. Dec 15, 2012
    I didn't expect the movie to be this good. Seeing Gandalf, Bilbo, and Smeagol/Gollum really bring back old memories from the Lord of the Rings series. The dwarves were awesome too, each dwarves has different personality and characteristics, some were cool and funny. I don't know why but I was more excited about the story in this one than the Lord of the Rings series. The story cover up soI didn't expect the movie to be this good. Seeing Gandalf, Bilbo, and Smeagol/Gollum really bring back old memories from the Lord of the Rings series. The dwarves were awesome too, each dwarves has different personality and characteristics, some were cool and funny. I don't know why but I was more excited about the story in this one than the Lord of the Rings series. The story cover up so much details, some references from LOTR which was cool. Visually, the best looking film I seen so far..breathtaking visuals and effects. Settings were amazing, from pretty looking grasslands to the breathtaking mountain tops and caves. Scenery was just amazing. My only problem with the film was that there were some scene that felt unnecessary, like your wondering why that scene even existed? just a minor complaint. Overall, a great film and for those that are fans of Lord of the Rings, you will love this film. Three words describing this film, EPIC, BREATHTAKING, AND EXCITING. Expand
  71. Dec 16, 2012
    Gosh, I just saw this with my wife. We just loved it. We're fans of the book versions of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and the original LOTR trilogy. The Hobbit movie just knocked our socks off. It was beautiful, sensational, exciting, and novel. There were fictional embellishments that deviated from the original book, but not from the story of Middle-Earth leading up to the LOTRGosh, I just saw this with my wife. We just loved it. We're fans of the book versions of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and the original LOTR trilogy. The Hobbit movie just knocked our socks off. It was beautiful, sensational, exciting, and novel. There were fictional embellishments that deviated from the original book, but not from the story of Middle-Earth leading up to the LOTR time - the alterations Jackson and his crew have made to the events of The Hobbit are excellent additions that meet the requirements for a rich fantasy adventure that does not betray the original author's intentions for the goings on of the world around the central characters. Expand
  72. Dec 14, 2012
    I waited long and hard for this movie, and boy did they deliver! I had chills as I watched this grand adventure unfold, and this is only the beginning! They couldn't have picked a better Bilbo, very charming. The only minor things that bothered me were trying to remember the names of the dwarfs, and the fact that when ever their was a different language being spoken, they used subtitles.I waited long and hard for this movie, and boy did they deliver! I had chills as I watched this grand adventure unfold, and this is only the beginning! They couldn't have picked a better Bilbo, very charming. The only minor things that bothered me were trying to remember the names of the dwarfs, and the fact that when ever their was a different language being spoken, they used subtitles. Other than those very minor things, great movie, and i simply can't wait for the next two, and it can only get better. Expand
  73. Dec 15, 2012
    A great movie all around. I actually enjoyed the light hearted opening to the film contrary to most reviewers. Acting, story and effects/action were very well done. It is a long movie but my only complaint about that was my theater has terrible seats :)
  74. Dec 23, 2012
    How wrong the critics were. This is great. I can't remember 3 hours going so quickly. Perhaps, in some ways it is lacking the sheer volume of material in Fellowship but, equally, it covers a lot of ground and was perhaps a little more satisfying.
  75. Jan 9, 2013
    The movie is visually beautiful. It's a new opportunity to revisit Middle-Earth through the mastery of Peter Jackson - but it is not The Lord of the Rings, it's another story, so don't expect the same experience. If only the climax had been Goblin town, the movie would've been better. The HFR version is almost perfect.
  76. Dec 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An Unexpected Journey is a welcome return to Middle-Earth and the most exciting film of the year. I've seen the Avengers and TDKR and while I would say that Avengers is a better film (9/10), The Hobbit had me awe inspired on multiple occasions. It's not as good as LOTR, that's a fact. Those are three 9+/10 films but The Hobbit is still a great film nonetheless and one which makes me eagerly await seeing it again and anticipate it's sequels. The critics' maniacally biased reviews have clearly put a lot of people off and while the film is not without it's flaws, they made mostly nonsensical points. The majority of the negative reviews focused on the frame rate rather than the actual film. Another dumb, ironic criticism is that the critics said they were fans of Tolkien but didn't understand why The Hobbit was light in some places. It's an adaptation of a light book and including information that Tolkien belatedly added to the era in the appendices, the film is one of the most faithful works I've ever seen. Of course Jackson took some liberties but most of them were for the better. The Rivendell scene, whilst I thought that the script was a little lacking, was essential to start recognising and confronting the problem of the Necromancer. Having 13 dwarves and making them all fully fledged characters in one film was an impossible task and as a result many such as Bombur do not even say a word, yet Thorin, Balin, Bofur, Dwalin, Ori, Fili and Kili had a much greater focus. I'm sure that the others shall have their time to shine in the following films. Martin Freeman as Bilbo captured the essence of the character very well and Ian McKellen as Gandalf was as good as ever and brought me back to Fellowship-Gandalf, which was the character's best. After all, Grey has much more personality than White. The prologue showcasing Erebor and Smaug's attack had me immediately filled with a sense of wonder as if I had never left Middle Earth. The brief flashback of the battle outside Moria was another excellent demonstration of PJ's fluency with action scenes and you could literally focus on any one-on-one between the dwarves and orcs and be entertained. Azog was a fantastic addition and made you feel a real sense of danger for the company as well as a feeling of being hunted, adding more gravity and resonance to the group's mission. The stand out scene of the film was Gollum's return to the screen, which was arguably the best we've ever had the character. Whether humorous or dangerous he was just captivating, creating the most memorable scene of the year. The pacing was excellent and the Shire scene, which caused some controversy concerning its length, flew by, ending just at the right time. I was only aware of the length when the film stopped still after they had left the caves and caught their breaths for about 15-20 seconds. What followed was the most unexpected part of the movie; having read the book, I expected the eagles to rescue them pretty quickly, but I was just waiting and waiting, all the while the tension was reaching a climax. Thorin, choosing to die in battle and facing his foe rather than falling off a cliff, charging down to confront Azog was such a powerful moment and made me realise how invested I'd become over the course of the film. By the end, with the Lonely Mountain in sight, I felt the same way that I had at the end of Fellowship; that I had a long way to go before the finish, but so much had happened that I was completely satisfied. I give An Unexpected Journey an 8.5/10. Expand
  77. Dec 17, 2012
    After 9 years we are back to middle earth. Gandalf the Grey chose Bilbo Bagins to help Thorin to take back Erebor. One hobbit,one wizard,thirteen dwarves. Peter Jackson delivered us one more epic adventure back in middle earth. It is a three hour masterpiece.
  78. Dec 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. -MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS- Best Lord of The Rings movie yet. Yeah I said it best YET. The character development is actually pretty good especially considering that there is 14 characters consistently throughout going on a very epic journey to help the remaining of the dwarves who didn't get killed by the army of Orcs reclaim the city of Elaboar (Can't Spell this stuff). The battle scenes are epic especially the one where they are on the bridges getting chased by Goblins which also showcases the great special effects and the 3D is very well done (unfortunately I didn't get to see it at a high frame rate though). Unlike most people say the movie did NOT start out slow you saw some crazy stuff at the beginning. OK some issues at certain battle scenes where swords and stuff are clipping through Orcs ect. but it wasn't that noticeable. The only real complaint is flashbacks can be drawn out until you forget there was a flashback or explanation in the first place so I can get slightly confusing and let's face it the scene with the Golem was too long. But overall it was an AWESOME movie Expand
  79. Mar 30, 2013
    Before watching this movie, I had never seen any of the lord of the rings movies. I was totally new to the whole "middle earth" universe, and I loved the hell out of this movie. It's filled with great characters, amazing adventures, beautiful landscapes, and awesome action sequences. Some of the special effects are a little dodgy, but that's one of the only complaints I have. (Note that IBefore watching this movie, I had never seen any of the lord of the rings movies. I was totally new to the whole "middle earth" universe, and I loved the hell out of this movie. It's filled with great characters, amazing adventures, beautiful landscapes, and awesome action sequences. Some of the special effects are a little dodgy, but that's one of the only complaints I have. (Note that I watched this at home in 24 FPS and no 3D) Don't listen to the critics. Expand
  80. Jul 17, 2013
    Loved it. It captured the essence of the Novel well. I loved how they had some dialouge practically (if not exactly) verbatim from the book (The Exchange between Gandalf and Bilbo in the Beginning). Young Bilbo ws cast perfectly with Freeman and I adore all the dwarves At your Service I absolutely cannot wait for the next installments. The Hobbit was more light hearted than the LOTR butLoved it. It captured the essence of the Novel well. I loved how they had some dialouge practically (if not exactly) verbatim from the book (The Exchange between Gandalf and Bilbo in the Beginning). Young Bilbo ws cast perfectly with Freeman and I adore all the dwarves At your Service I absolutely cannot wait for the next installments. The Hobbit was more light hearted than the LOTR but was in no was a Children's Book as some negative reviewers said. Also the "Bloat" that was not in the novel was from the appendices. It irks me when reviewers have utterly no idea what they are talking about when it comes to plot. Expand
  81. Dec 15, 2012
    Purists to the original Hobbit will hate this. Fans of the Lord of the Rings will love this. The Hobbit story is there but is little more than 15% of the movie. Peter Jackson (et al.) have successfully expanded the original book by weaving it through a far larger, more epic story that warrants being a trilogy. Good new characters + good action + laced with humor = a thoroughly enjoyable film!
  82. Dec 15, 2012
    A prime example of when the general consensus of critics get it wrong. Amazing film and beginning to another epic trilogy. 48fps 3D was gorgeous and another evolution of modern cinema.
  83. Dec 14, 2012
    I felt home again. Everything was perfect. Thank you for bringing just a little bit more beauty to this world, cast and crew of The Hobbit. There is not a single complaint I can come up with for this film. By all means, I don't want to.
  84. Jan 6, 2013
    Such a great movie, I went in with a skeptical mind and came out pleasantly surprised. I think Jackson has a fantastic start to The Hobbit and I look forward to the sequels!
  85. Mar 22, 2013
    Rewritten review. After watching the video. I have to say this movie is just plain fun. The over the top action sequences are short and even though when I saw the movie in the theatre the late movie action seemed like the Bridge at Khazad Dum scene repeated, after watching the video they are not out of place. Just a little indulgent. Some parts deserve a ten but overall a 9.
  86. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was is a great film. Not a perfect film mind you, but a damn great one. I have a feeling my admiration of the fim comes from the fact that I love everything Tolkien, and the fact that I went into the theater last night with low expectations, because I knew it would be hard for Peter Jackson to match the perfection of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. In any case, I was impressed by the level of detail in the film (and I didn't even see it in 48fps!) and the beauty of every shot. I was equally impressed by the writer's ability to incorporate material from the appendices into the story and fashion the film to not only stay fairly faithful to Tolkien, but to also make the film exciting, breathtaking, funny, and magical. I thoroughly enjoyed the flashbacks to Dale and the destruction of Erebor, the fight between the orcs and the dwarves, and the inclusion of Radagast the Brown and the White Council (though as I said before, I am a Tolkien aficionado so more detail and more Middle Earth in general is better for me). While I did like the addition of Azog and the vendetta between him and Thorin, I didn't like the fact that the orc was completely CGI; it detracted from the personal feeling of the relationship between himself and Thorin. I think it would have been entirely possible to have an actual person play the role, which would have given the chase and vengeance a more intimate feel (ex: Witch King and Lurtz). Ultimately though, the film was amazing. The acting was top notch, especially from Martin Freeman, Andy Serkis, and Ian McKellen. I have yet to see the film in its intended format, 48 fps, so I don't anything to gripe about in that department yet. I strongly encourage everyone to see this great piece of cinema, and yes, its seems long at parts and slightly bloated, but if you're a fan of Lord of the Rings and Tolkien like myself, then it shouldn't be a deterrent. Expand
  87. Dec 14, 2012
    Reading the negative reviews can be angering... The Hobbit starts the series possibly stronger than the Fellowship of the Ring. The dwarves had tons of character, Gandalf was great as ever, and Thorin and Bilbo stole the show. It was entertaining, and overall a great film.
  88. Dec 16, 2012
    If anyone on this earth remembers when talking pictures came out there were aot of people that said it was no good and when color film came out there were alot of people that did not like that either. when flat screen tvs come out I met a lot of old folks that did not like them either. Open you mind. 48fps is an innovation, dont let your old minds be stuck in the past..... Anyway it was aIf anyone on this earth remembers when talking pictures came out there were aot of people that said it was no good and when color film came out there were alot of people that did not like that either. when flat screen tvs come out I met a lot of old folks that did not like them either. Open you mind. 48fps is an innovation, dont let your old minds be stuck in the past..... Anyway it was a great movie that looked fantastic. Expand
  89. Apr 20, 2013
    I bought this version for my 3-d blu-ray player and I must say that it was impressive to watch in 3-d. The world was alive and had the familiar feelings that The Lord of the Rings had. This movie was a lot of fun to watch and if you are a fan of TLOTR series, you will not be disappointed. The movie did get a bit long, but it was to build the story and provide all of the necessary backI bought this version for my 3-d blu-ray player and I must say that it was impressive to watch in 3-d. The world was alive and had the familiar feelings that The Lord of the Rings had. This movie was a lot of fun to watch and if you are a fan of TLOTR series, you will not be disappointed. The movie did get a bit long, but it was to build the story and provide all of the necessary back story to make the rest of the movie flow. Very good film. Expand
  90. Nov 20, 2013
    Fantastic film. The perfect adaptation of a beloved children's book. Top notch acting, great special effects, tons of fan service from Peter Jackson, brilliant scenery and atmosphere. You really feel like you are in Middle Earth taking this epic journey. I cannot wait for 'The Desolation Of Smaug' and then 'There and Back Again'. Do not let the naysayers and foolish critics put you offFantastic film. The perfect adaptation of a beloved children's book. Top notch acting, great special effects, tons of fan service from Peter Jackson, brilliant scenery and atmosphere. You really feel like you are in Middle Earth taking this epic journey. I cannot wait for 'The Desolation Of Smaug' and then 'There and Back Again'. Do not let the naysayers and foolish critics put you off this amazing film and soon to be, amazing trilogy. There main complaints are about the length and the beginning (which is fine and actually breezes past because of how awesome and loyal to the book it is). Some people just have the attention span of a spoon I tell you. Expand
  91. Dec 17, 2012
    The acting, the action, the 3D graphics - everything was absolutely outstanding and I have NO idea why there are so many negative reviews. You guys need to open your eyes and realize what a good film this is.
  92. Dec 16, 2012
    I like this kind of movie/book, but I actually didn't care for the Lord of the Rings trilogy or this book, when I read it back in my teens. That said, I thought this film was excellent! They changed a lot from the book, which normally would drive me nuts, but it was well needed here and well done. The settings and special effects were first rate, and I really enjoyed escaping our world forI like this kind of movie/book, but I actually didn't care for the Lord of the Rings trilogy or this book, when I read it back in my teens. That said, I thought this film was excellent! They changed a lot from the book, which normally would drive me nuts, but it was well needed here and well done. The settings and special effects were first rate, and I really enjoyed escaping our world for this one. Critics say that it was really slow and dragged in the beginning, and I agree, but it was worth the build up, in my opinion. Peter Jackson's best so far! Expand
  93. Dec 18, 2012
    "The Hobbit" brought me back to a feeling I've only had once before, in 2001, after watching "The Fellowship of the Ring". I looked forward to December 2002 due to that film, and now I look forward to December 2013 due to "The Hobbit".

I have read the book several times, and I did enjoy Jackson's take on it. When the credits rolled, I was left wishing for more. "The Hobbit" takes its time. We don't leave Bilbo's house until 40 minutes have passed. But I had the same experience when reading the novel. It starts awfully slow and then picks up and gives you the wildest adventures imaginable. It is actually refreshing to have a movie that takes its time to develop and move forward. It even takes some pauses from the forward moving action, and gives the audience some time to breath, and enjoy the world of Tolkien and Jackson without worrying about plot details the whole time.

The professional level of the movie is the same as with "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. It's all superb. The 3D experience is the first "clear" and fresh 3D experience I've had. It probably has something to do with the 48 frames per second.

Peter Jackson has done it again. Even though this adventure may have smaller stakes than "LOTR", the stakes are high enough, with villains sinister enough and heroes humble enough to make a great adventure. I'm not the least worried about "The Hobbit" being three movies, since I felt the novel was too short anyway, especially descriptions of the war of 5 armies.
  94. Dec 16, 2012
    Beautifully done movie that was filled with goodies from the book, and goodies from dear ol' Peter Jackson. Many people complain that it is not as dark as LOTR and that is true, because the book isn't either. The humor was a nice change of pace for Middle Earth and I couldn't stop laughing during some parts. I loved the scene with the trolls by the camp fire as it was my favorite scene inBeautifully done movie that was filled with goodies from the book, and goodies from dear ol' Peter Jackson. Many people complain that it is not as dark as LOTR and that is true, because the book isn't either. The humor was a nice change of pace for Middle Earth and I couldn't stop laughing during some parts. I loved the scene with the trolls by the camp fire as it was my favorite scene in the whole movie. I also loved the intelligent goblin king who was designed quite well, but his voice and personality felt more like a Harry Potter character than an LOTR one. The music, once again, sweeps you away like it did before almost 10yrs ago; I do believe is was the same composer so expect excellence. Others complain about the use of CGI... well how else do you get hundreds of trolls, orcs, dwarves into the same scene or get a man into a giant troll costume? LOTR had hundreds of animations and it was great! and so was this movie. Expand
  95. Jan 12, 2013
    I really don't know why this movie gets such bad reviews. A 58? There's the obvious and overused complaint "it's too long" but for anyone who has a half decent attention span it wasn't that bad. It was about the same length of Django Unchained or The Avengers but I never heard anyone complaining about those. The special effects were great, the acting was great, and the story, while stillI really don't know why this movie gets such bad reviews. A 58? There's the obvious and overused complaint "it's too long" but for anyone who has a half decent attention span it wasn't that bad. It was about the same length of Django Unchained or The Avengers but I never heard anyone complaining about those. The special effects were great, the acting was great, and the story, while still great, was something to be expected because the book had been out for a while. Some people were complaining about the abrupt ending but anyone who knew anything about the movie probably found out that they were making it into multiple movies. And don't complain about "It's the shortest book! Why is IT in three movies?" because Harry Potter did it and no one complained about that. My only complaints about this movie were that it was a bit slow to start (not too long, just slow, it's entirely different) and I wish they showed a bit more of Martin Freeman. They still showed a lot of Martin Freeman as he was still the main character but I really liked him so the scenes that he wasn't in I felt weren't as good. Expand
  96. Jan 13, 2013
    This movie was amazing. The storyline was great and if you are a lover of the LOTR then you will definitely love it. the Scenery and the costumes and make up should definitely receive awards as they were incredible. I particularly liked how Peter Jackson did not allow one particular character to completely take over the movie but bought all the characters together and showed theThis movie was amazing. The storyline was great and if you are a lover of the LOTR then you will definitely love it. the Scenery and the costumes and make up should definitely receive awards as they were incredible. I particularly liked how Peter Jackson did not allow one particular character to completely take over the movie but bought all the characters together and showed the importance of each one. I do however think that there was about 20 mins cut out of the movie at the cinema that I saw it as there were 2 areas where the scene abruptly stopped and then went to an entirely different scene and i am sure that Peter Jackson would not allow such bad editing. The movie was running behind so i believe that the cinema cut it out, but i am going to see it again on weekend (good excuse to see again) and will see if it does it again.
    The music appears to be less in this movie then in LOTR but it also has some of the music especially Concerning Hobbits which is an absolute favourite and parents ringtone. The music is fantastic to listen to and if there was not so much going on on the screen you would be very content to just sit back and close your eyes and listen.
    Although this movies goes for 184 minutes you wouldn't know it as I was enthralled throughout it and could have gone on with more. Absolutely wonderful movie and cannot wait for number 2. GO AND SEE IT!!!!!
  97. Dec 17, 2012
    A magical movie. nothing new, nothing unexpected but a wonderful epic tale given in the most fascinating fashion. for almost 3 hours you are part of the most worm and magical grandfathers tale. the critics hate it the audience loved it. maybe we have to reevaluate the purpose of cinema.
  98. Jan 6, 2013
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is not what I 'expected', it was indeed an 'unexpected journey' I went on when I saw the film. As a big fan of The Lord of the Rings I forgot that the books were maybe written by the same Writer but where not meant for the same audience. I was expecting an en epic fight with the same dramatic quest to save the world but what I saw were (like in the book)The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is not what I 'expected', it was indeed an 'unexpected journey' I went on when I saw the film. As a big fan of The Lord of the Rings I forgot that the books were maybe written by the same Writer but where not meant for the same audience. I was expecting an en epic fight with the same dramatic quest to save the world but what I saw were (like in the book) just the beginning and the base of what will become my favourite movies and books. The Hobbit is a good movie and I thank God that they decided to include several other story's from Tolkiens Middle-Earth into it but this movie is not always appropriate for children (like the book), Peter Jackson also tried to make it appealing for teenagers and young adults and to be quit honest he failed on that part. He should have gone one way or the other but not try to mix a children's book with the style from LOTR. Still, the visuals are perfect, I saw the movie in 3D/HFR and was blown away by it! I saw Middle-Earth as I never saw it before and I can't wait to see the next part(s)! The Score was epic and I loved how they brought some elements from the LOTR score into the score of The Hobbit to give us this nostalgic feeling. Expand
  99. Jan 3, 2013
    This movie is an amazing adventure! Peter Jackson put 100% in this movie. i don't whats with the low rating.. but that's just the critics. this movie is a must see!

1. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer