8.1

1. Dec 29, 2012
    Yes, the story might lag a little, but I'm glad it's as long as it is. I really enjoyed the visuals and story setup. Go into this understanding that they are marketing The Hobbit to children on Disney and Nickelodeon, and you'll be satisfied. Thoroughly enjoyed, best movie we've seen this year.
  2. Dec 14, 2012
    Truly awesome, on par with fellowship! Brilliant acting from all cast members. Bilbo, Gollum, Gandalf and Thorin and absolutely perfect. The ending will have you leaning forward out of your screen as Tolkein's Novel and Jackson's new material come crashing together in an awesome finale!
  3. Feb 19, 2013
    The Hobbit was epic, Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson did a great job in the adaption, I thought it was gonna be really short and have some absurd adaptation because how could they make a book of 320apr, pages long into 3 films that will last about 2hours each? Dont listen to the absurd critics that gave it a less then 8, because I dont really get how people dont like this movie, IThe Hobbit was epic, Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson did a great job in the adaption, I thought it was gonna be really short and have some absurd adaptation because how could they make a book of 320apr, pages long into 3 films that will last about 2hours each? Dont listen to the absurd critics that gave it a less then 8, because I dont really get how people dont like this movie, I mean, it had great effects, a perfect cast(I think Bilbo is now my favourite hobbit) amazing soundtrack and an flaw-less masterpiece that Tolkien wrote.
    Thats all I got to say.
  4. Dec 16, 2012
    "The Hobbit" was a children's book that has served as a key cornerstone in the fantasy genre and a story held close to many reader's hearts. I felt that Peter Jackson's interpretation of the book has been an extraordinary cinematic experience that reminds me of the magic found in those books of old. The tone of the original novel was translated brilliantly onto the big screen, while some"The Hobbit" was a children's book that has served as a key cornerstone in the fantasy genre and a story held close to many reader's hearts. I felt that Peter Jackson's interpretation of the book has been an extraordinary cinematic experience that reminds me of the magic found in those books of old. The tone of the original novel was translated brilliantly onto the big screen, while some may find this 'journey' to be slightly trivial or child-like to the grand battle scenes of LOTR, I enjoyed the translation regardless. Technically, I enjoyed the new technology a lot (having watched it in 48 frames and 3D) while it does require a slight getting used to, the 48 frames helped create a magnificent 3D viewing that would put other epic films to shame. Another thing that should be pointed out is that the relation to LOTR was immaculately added into the plot, there are plenty nostalgic moments that will fuel the delights of old fans but is computed on a level that will not likely to isolate new ones. There are a couple stranger moments here and there, but overall I feel confident that such a magical story is in the the tender hands of such gifted film makers. I for one, is eagerly waiting for the next segment to Bilbo's tale. (I don't know if this consists of a 'spoiler') Expand
  5. Dec 17, 2012
    Gandalf,Bilbo,Thorin and other dwarves began an adventure to take back Erebor. Once more Peter Jackson gave us an masterpiece with great acting and humor. We are talking about a three hours film. THE HOBBIT shows us how everything began in LORD OF THE RINGS.
  6. Dec 26, 2012
    I consider myself to have a good taste in movies...knowing what is really bad and really good. Reviewers giving The Hobbit low scores is an error and an insult to their profession. I witnessed the same high quality of filmmaking in this movie as The Lord of the Rings series. Sure, there are things filled in to make a set of 3 additional movies more interesting...but they AREI consider myself to have a good taste in movies...knowing what is really bad and really good. Reviewers giving The Hobbit low scores is an error and an insult to their profession. I witnessed the same high quality of filmmaking in this movie as The Lord of the Rings series. Sure, there are things filled in to make a set of 3 additional movies more interesting...but they ARE interesting. Don't listen to the low rating critics on this movie. The visuals, music, acting, and of course...story are amazing! Just go see it and enjoy it and don't listen to bitter people who are picking it apart because they are having a bad day, a bad life, or nothing else better to do but be belligerent. Expand
  7. Dec 28, 2012
    This is the movie of the year for me, I had great expectations for this movie and it delivered everything I wanted. The return to Middle Earth was an amazing experience, and I loved the whole feel of the movie. It is different from LOTR and it should be different, this is pure fantasy at its finest. Critics complain about length, humor and CGI. These are baseless and so far out it annoysThis is the movie of the year for me, I had great expectations for this movie and it delivered everything I wanted. The return to Middle Earth was an amazing experience, and I loved the whole feel of the movie. It is different from LOTR and it should be different, this is pure fantasy at its finest. Critics complain about length, humor and CGI. These are baseless and so far out it annoys me, the CGI is top notch, and it makes everything look fantastical, even though I like makeup and prosthetics, I do find that for fantasy movies, great CGI makes for a great adventure movie, Avatar would never been such a great movie had they used makeup and prosthetics. The only criticism I can give this movie is that it was to short, in contrast to many critics I found the movie to be short, I guess I was just having to much fun with it. The introduction was the perfect length, could have been even longer as it is a long journey and a good buildup is essential. The music and songs really set the mood for the film, to travel on a quest over misty mountains and into dark and dangerous caves.

This is a 10/10 movie for me, I can't wait to watch it again soon, and I hope for a Extended edition. And the coming year will be hard as I really look forward to the next part of this grand journey. If you like fantasy and are looking for a great adventure movie, then this movie is for you.
  8. Jan 6, 2013
    Everything that I expected and wanted! A movie made for people who love the books. I don't like how the critics say that the movie is drawn out because they are the same ones commending the LOTR movies for their ability to tell a detailed story. The cast of dwarves is perfect, they portray the characters exactly the way Tolkien wrote. I'd argue that Freeman played the role of Bilbo betterEverything that I expected and wanted! A movie made for people who love the books. I don't like how the critics say that the movie is drawn out because they are the same ones commending the LOTR movies for their ability to tell a detailed story. The cast of dwarves is perfect, they portray the characters exactly the way Tolkien wrote. I'd argue that Freeman played the role of Bilbo better than Wood ever played Frodo; s always Sir McKellen was superb. The only criticism i have is Jackson's decision to change the orcs to CGI. Expand
  9. Jan 8, 2013
    Many people forget that this is going to part of a much longer film franchise, expecting around about at least another few films coming out from it, the humor aspect which some people tend to claim poor or childish need to be reminded that in the book, it was to be known to be childish, due to the Dwarves happy go lucky nature, as well as a serious side for their people and the task theyMany people forget that this is going to part of a much longer film franchise, expecting around about at least another few films coming out from it, the humor aspect which some people tend to claim poor or childish need to be reminded that in the book, it was to be known to be childish, due to the Dwarves happy go lucky nature, as well as a serious side for their people and the task they have at hand. Again perhaps the critics should take into account that this is part of one, many people we're disappointed with the ending of the first LOTR film, then found the following 2 films to be an exceptional ending to the film franchise. The only thing i can fault this film for is possibly not covering all of the detail, this is unavoidable however, before the film becomes to dragged out to those that may not know the full story Expand
  10. Jan 23, 2013
    It was a great movie. Not as dark and not as serious as LotR, and Martin Freeman is a brilliant and humorous Bilbo. I liked this first part, Peter Jackson's take on Thorin was good and as for Bilbo, we can see the transition from respectable country esquire to adventuring burglar. Top notch, clearly, and looking forward to the next instalment.
  11. Feb 15, 2013
    This is a must see. The critics have no idea what they are talking about. If you liked the Lord of the Rings movies, you'll love this. If you didn't see the Lord of the Rings movies, you'll still love this.

Case in point My GF has never seen the Lord of the Rings movies, hates fantasy stuff with a passion; I took her to see the hobbit, and she gives it a 10 score simply based on the story.
  12. Oct 30, 2013
    A perfect recreation of the Tolkien's world. It's excelent in all the aspects: direction, interpretation, script, soundtrack, etc. And the "guess game" with Bilbo and Gollum is a masterpiece.
  13. Dec 16, 2012
    I couldn't agree less with the critics on this one. I'm usually on their side, with the exception of Looper (disliked it). I enjoyed absolutely every second of this film. You can almost fall in love with it.
  14. Dec 15, 2012
    Screw the haters, this movie was amazing. The scenery was extraordinary, and it never felt campy at any portion of the film. Some pieces are different from the book and some pieces are a bit drawn out etc. but it's great stuff overall and I enjoyed every minute of the film.
  15. Feb 22, 2013
    I was really afraid this 3-movie concept multiplied by Hollywood standards of moviemaking will ruin the ideas and concepts of the book. Yet it was awesome! I could nip-pick a bit, but in fact every scene or event from "There and back again" is in place and they DO work with "injected" Necromancer plot (which existed before that only in additions to LOTR books and was mentioned in two linesI was really afraid this 3-movie concept multiplied by Hollywood standards of moviemaking will ruin the ideas and concepts of the book. Yet it was awesome! I could nip-pick a bit, but in fact every scene or event from "There and back again" is in place and they DO work with "injected" Necromancer plot (which existed before that only in additions to LOTR books and was mentioned in two lines at the book itself). So, great job. It could be better but it is still awesome! 9/10. Expand
  16. Dec 18, 2012
    I read 7 reviews and they were all negative. Because ofthem, I held off and didn't go on Friday or Saturday to see it - crass mistake. On Sunday I decided to take a chance and went with very low expectations. The movie is great. If you loved the LR you are going to like this one. It's very long so don't drink a lot or you'll have to visit the restromm in the middle of the show.
  17. Dec 15, 2012
    great movie, those reviewers are like the users in video games. Great special effects, while lighter in humor and not as dark as lord of the rings, its still one amazing achievement. Another by peter jackson who just shows that he knows this very well. Incredible movie. Martin Freeman is amazing and so is everyone else. To no like this and to like LOTR is to be a hypocrite. Whilegreat movie, those reviewers are like the users in video games. Great special effects, while lighter in humor and not as dark as lord of the rings, its still one amazing achievement. Another by peter jackson who just shows that he knows this very well. Incredible movie. Martin Freeman is amazing and so is everyone else. To no like this and to like LOTR is to be a hypocrite. While maybe not as good it certainly still is an amazing experience. Expand
  18. Dec 15, 2012
    Cannot understand the critics. Yes, it is a bit more childish than Lord of the rings, but the book is a bit more childish. On the other hand, The Hobbit has the unique LotR feel to it, beautiful to look at, and engaging from beginning to end. I am a 100% satisfied and believe Jackson made another superb movie!
  19. Dec 19, 2012
    This movie is simply amazing in every way. Its absolutely perfect. There is no part of this movie that I don't like. I've been a bit fan of the IP/mythos since I was a child. I've read all the books and other source material.

I've even seen the movie in both classic and HFR (48fps). Frankly I'm shocked at all of the poor critic reviews. Its as if they wanted to watch LOTRs instead of

I've even seen the movie in both classic and HFR (48fps).

Frankly I'm shocked at all of the poor critic reviews. Its as if they wanted to watch LOTRs instead of The Hobbit. Make no mistake, its not a childrens movie. There is a lot of death in this movie, but surprisingly, very little actual blood or gore. Mostly just stabbings and beheadings without meandering on the wounds or casualties.
  20. Dec 14, 2012
    Movies are done for FANS not for critics journalists! This is a amzing movie, if you are a Lord Of Rings fan you will fall in love with this one. Peter Jackson is a great director.
  21. Dec 14, 2012
    I was hesitant because of some of the negative reviews, but they were easily set aside within the first half hour. This is a fantastic film. I sincerely think the "professional' reviewers are seeing a different film than I saw, because the one I saw kept me glued in my seat from beginning to end. It was surpassed Fellowship in a lot of ways: better pacing, tighter story, more action, a bitI was hesitant because of some of the negative reviews, but they were easily set aside within the first half hour. This is a fantastic film. I sincerely think the "professional' reviewers are seeing a different film than I saw, because the one I saw kept me glued in my seat from beginning to end. It was surpassed Fellowship in a lot of ways: better pacing, tighter story, more action, a bit more whimsical, and the characters! I'm a huge LOTR fan, but the dwarves, Bilbo, and Gandalf all really shine here. They have much more personality than was presented in Fellowship (and I do love Fellowship).

Overall, don't listen to the negative reviews a lot of sites are posting. This is one of the best fantasy movies I've ever seen.
  22. Jan 1, 2013
    I must say that if you must not go in the theater to watch this film with Lord of The Rings in your mind. This film is absolutely different from the previous three films in LOTR trilogy. This film is not based on the victory over evil but it is a film that tells us about the lives of different races in Middle Earth. So,I must surely say that this film is a must-watch for you.
  23. Dec 26, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant movie that exceeded expectations. Do not listen to the mainstream critics who would give a piece of crap black and white silent french film commenting about the nature of existence a 10 but rate the Hobbit a 5 (Wtf??). If you like good movies, see this!
  24. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Hobbit is based around Bilbo Baggins in his prime, where he goes, well, on an unexpected journey. After watching the enitre LoTR series, i found myself to despise Bilbo for his distasteful obsession with the ring. But after watching The Hobbit, i no longer disliked him, but actually began to like him, even more so than Frodo. The whole 48FPS deal was in my opinion, completely brilliant, although not much technical work has to be put into it to bring up the frame rate, it made the movie look much more realistic, and at times I had trouble depicting whether something was CGI or real. The 48fps makes everything much smoother and makes the cgi have life-like movements. The story for The Hobbit was not as strong as the story in the LoTR series, but i felt that it came pretty close, the movie does not contain nearly as much dialogue as the LoTR series but it definitely fulfills why we all love these movies, the fantasy aspect. Overall, i'd have to say that i enjoyed this movie slightly more than the LoTR series, In most aspects. If you are a LoTR fan, GO SEE THIS MOVIE, if you have never seen any of the LoTR movies, GO WATCH THEM, and then GO SEE THIS MOVIE. Expand
  25. Jul 13, 2013
    Wow..........my expectations weren't high enough and honestly i was little scared that it will come out pale repetition of the Lord of The Rings....i enjoyed every second of it and looking forward for the next one....
  26. Jan 3, 2013
    The critics are smoking their socks! I loved this movie, as I did the Trilogy. It obviously has a completely different feel to the LOTR trilogy in the sense that the general atmosphere isn't all doom and gloom. The emphasis is on adventure, and an adventure is exactly what the film delivers. The fact that the book has been split into three films means that the movies are more detailed thanThe critics are smoking their socks! I loved this movie, as I did the Trilogy. It obviously has a completely different feel to the LOTR trilogy in the sense that the general atmosphere isn't all doom and gloom. The emphasis is on adventure, and an adventure is exactly what the film delivers. The fact that the book has been split into three films means that the movies are more detailed than ever. How any of these critics can say that the movie is drawn out I have no idea, I felt the film was well paced and as a result it completely draws you in. Disregard the critics score on this one and substitute it with the user score, simple as that. Expand
  27. Dec 16, 2012
    This film's biggest flaw is only that it was put together AFTER the LOTR series. With that series ahead of it, people have preconceived expectations about what to expect. This is NOT LOTR, the Hobbit is a different kind of story. Yes, same world, and a few of the same characters, but this is an adventure story, not a ongoing war epic. It can also be said the movie is not wholly true to theThis film's biggest flaw is only that it was put together AFTER the LOTR series. With that series ahead of it, people have preconceived expectations about what to expect. This is NOT LOTR, the Hobbit is a different kind of story. Yes, same world, and a few of the same characters, but this is an adventure story, not a ongoing war epic. It can also be said the movie is not wholly true to the book, but it is to the source material it was drawn from (much from the appendices through the middle earth tales). Note I did not see this in 3D, and that seems to be the biggest difference in how this is being reviewed. Expand
  28. Jun 30, 2013
    I`m surprised how good was that. It`s amazing epic journey, that you enjoy. It`s not as big as LotR was, but surely not disappointing. This movie has everything, what you can expected. It`s a side story, whithout ultimate evil and good, but side stories are very important part of any fantasy world, even the Middle-earth. That`s what all Tolkien`s fan knows very well. Every part of movie isI`m surprised how good was that. It`s amazing epic journey, that you enjoy. It`s not as big as LotR was, but surely not disappointing. This movie has everything, what you can expected. It`s a side story, whithout ultimate evil and good, but side stories are very important part of any fantasy world, even the Middle-earth. That`s what all Tolkien`s fan knows very well. Every part of movie is done well. Expand
  29. Dec 14, 2012
    Amazing movie. I don't see why it's getting bad reviews , the story is great the characters are great the locations are great. If your a fan of lord of the rings you will love it as I did!!
  30. Dec 29, 2012
    Critics pushed me to write a review. First of all, I must say I haven't read any LOTR or Tolkien books. That being said, I enjoy the world of Tolkien. As a kid I used to play Warhammer countless hours. I am a big fan of the LOTR and the hobbit realy lived up to my expectations. I can somewhat understand why people whine about FPS or "humorous beheading sequences played for cheap laughs"Critics pushed me to write a review. First of all, I must say I haven't read any LOTR or Tolkien books. That being said, I enjoy the world of Tolkien. As a kid I used to play Warhammer countless hours. I am a big fan of the LOTR and the hobbit realy lived up to my expectations. I can somewhat understand why people whine about FPS or "humorous beheading sequences played for cheap laughs" but I gotta say to these people "GET A F**** LIFE*. If you start to complain about little things as such, well I feel sorry for you then. Honestly, I HIGHLY recommend this movie - especially if you like that type of fantasy. I have friend that said this movie was OK but they are more into anime/japanese stuff which I enjoy too. Anyway well done Peter Jackson! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer