8.1

1. Mar 10, 2013
    Like so many other people I can't believe the critic's score.

I watched this in iMax with my 10 year old son and both of us were utterly enthralled from start to finish. Yes, the HFR cinematography takes a little getting used to, but once you are acclimatised then you find yourself sucked into the Middle Earth universe hook, line and sinker. So lush are the visuals, the storytelling
    Like so many other people I can't believe the critic's score.

So lush are the visuals, the storytelling and the attention to detail that you can't help but devour every second. Despite the length of the movie I was left begging for more when it ended.

Roll on December 2013!
  2. Dec 14, 2012
    This film is easily as good as any of the films in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. It is a little different in tone, though the difference feels entirely appropriate.
  3. Dec 14, 2012
    Freaking awesome movie. Saw it in 3D and thought it was beautifully filmed. The story was very tight and you are left wanting more and more. I found the scenes with Bilbo and Gollum chilling. I got goosebumps for the last hour.
  4. May 14, 2013
    A great movie, "official" critics are being too critical as if they never seen prequels in the past... I loved to get back into the LotR universe and highly enjoyed the quality and budget of the movie. Dwarfs storyline is quite interesting. Movie is quite predictable yet not that much to give it score of 4-5.

I'm looking forward to next The Hobbit movie. Also badass ending song, this is

I'm looking forward to next The Hobbit movie. Also badass ending song, this is probably the only movie in the world that forced me to sit through credits scene.
  5. Dec 25, 2012
    I couldn't disagree with the critics more. I love the original trilogy but went into The Hobbit with low expectations because of the reviews. But I thought it was as good if not even better than any of the original films.
  6. Dec 29, 2012
    PJ struck again in the adaptation of a book by Tolkien, he also managed to make a good connection with "The Lord of the Rings." PJ corrected a flaw in what I believe happened with LOTR actors however were good and he had managed to stay forever in our minds as their characters do not believe that there were great performances (except for Ian and Serkis) as in "The Hobbit "Apart from havingPJ struck again in the adaptation of a book by Tolkien, he also managed to make a good connection with "The Lord of the Rings." PJ corrected a flaw in what I believe happened with LOTR actors however were good and he had managed to stay forever in our minds as their characters do not believe that there were great performances (except for Ian and Serkis) as in "The Hobbit "Apart from having back Serkis and Ian now have 13 major actors playing the dwarves (Richard Armitage Highlight as Thorin) and an Oscar-worthy performance by Martin Freeman. For most, I think PJ got something I was too afraid to go wrong and end turned six chapters of the book in two hours and forty minutes of one of the best films of that year. Expand
  7. Dec 23, 2012
    Please, do not look at the low score critics gave. They compare the hobbit with the lord of the rings. What they do forget is that the hobbit isn't lord of the rings. It's written before lotr and the atmosphere in the book is much lighter. Peter Jackson tries to implement this in his movie, and does it pretty well. I've also seen the high frame rate version, which is great. Never saw aPlease, do not look at the low score critics gave. They compare the hobbit with the lord of the rings. What they do forget is that the hobbit isn't lord of the rings. It's written before lotr and the atmosphere in the book is much lighter. Peter Jackson tries to implement this in his movie, and does it pretty well. I've also seen the high frame rate version, which is great. Never saw a movie technically so good. Expand
  8. Dec 17, 2012
    Totally entertaining. I was worried given the critic reviews, but we really enjoyed it. First hour was sort of slow, but the next two were total action (other than the amusing gollum interlude.
  9. Dec 19, 2012
    Bilbo is simply the most likeable Hobbit! HFR is gorgeous! Gollum is real! My expectations for 3D-movies have definitly changed with this movie! First thought after seeing it: "I got to see it again!"
  10. Mar 2, 2013
    this movie is fun, FUN. way, way better than LOTR. Actors are natural, music is strong, with nice memorable dwarf-theme overall feeling of the movie is just right simply amazing! I do not mind CGI at all. At least when they walk they are really belong to the landscape, in opposite to LOTR where you get feeling that actors were filmed inside studio and then were placed digitally overthis movie is fun, FUN. way, way better than LOTR. Actors are natural, music is strong, with nice memorable dwarf-theme overall feeling of the movie is just right simply amazing! I do not mind CGI at all. At least when they walk they are really belong to the landscape, in opposite to LOTR where you get feeling that actors were filmed inside studio and then were placed digitally over images of raging snow or some other backgrounds.

Anyway, this movie is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
  11. Dec 22, 2012
    I lose all respect for any and all critics who reviewed this movie saying it was slow at the beginning or not as god as it should have been. It stays more true to the book then lotr movies. Has anyone ever heard of character development(building). It is a integral part of a great movie and no one does it better then Peter Jackson and this movie is no exception. Fellowship of the ringI lose all respect for any and all critics who reviewed this movie saying it was slow at the beginning or not as god as it should have been. It stays more true to the book then lotr movies. Has anyone ever heard of character development(building). It is a integral part of a great movie and no one does it better then Peter Jackson and this movie is no exception. Fellowship of the ring started just as slow or slower as far as action and it was reviewed amazing. People and mainly critics have truly forgotten what elements make up a great movie. Its not just action action action which it seems people want to see these days. All action movies are good but they lack movie magic. The Hobbit is loaded with all the elements of a perfect movie and a movie like it only comes around every few years if were lucky.

+Cinematography
    ----Well defined, detailed scenery
    +Plot
    ----Compelling, interesting plot
    ----Good character development
    ----Unexpected twists (its a movie from a book so this doesn't apply)
    +Visual Effects
    +Sound
    ----Good quality sound FX
    ----Clear voice quality
    +Lighting
    ----Dynamic lighting environments, that set an appropriate tone There is NOT a single point that The Hobbit did not deliver on.
    10/10 Easy
  12. Jan 5, 2013
    Amazing movie, don't listen to the snot-nosed, pretentious critics. I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the Fellowship of the Ring. There are some liberties taken with the source material but it is for the better as it makes a more entertaining movie.
  13. Dec 17, 2012
    Critics, proving once again that they are out of touch with the real world.

Critics, proving once again that they are out of touch with the real world.

I'm sad to say I'm not surprised by the "professional" reviews of this movie. I expected this when I first heard The Hobbit was being made as it has a different pace and feel than LOTR. I've seen this movie twice and I can say without a doubt that if you're a fan of the LOTR trilogy then you will enjoy this greatly. Whilst it may not be as well paced as The Fellowship of The Ring, it's certainly just as memorable. The set pieces, the vistas, the acting, the script, this movie has it all in top form. I was slightly worried by the time length but after the first hour the movie just seemed to be over way too fast. The movie was incredible, the sense of wonder I have only ever experienced from the LOTR trilogy came back. My only real complaint about this movie would be the amount of time spent in Bilbo's home near the beginning and Radagast, he was far too eccentric I thought. Overall though this movie is brilliant, a must buy for fantasy fans.
  14. Dec 21, 2012
    Loving the book has a kid I had to see the movie. I was not disappointed in anyway. Many people rating the film down I feel expected explosions every six seconds. The Hobbit tells a story and does so greatly.
  15. Jan 3, 2013
    All I came here to write, is that to ignore the critic reviews on the left of the page, go see it yourself and judge from there. Sadly the movie has been slandered by the critics for god only knows. In my opinion, the movie falls more accurate to that of the user score.
  16. Dec 30, 2012
    Well, I have to start off and say, I found this book in my dad's books one day when I was 10. I had no idea what it was, and it was in a crappy book cover, but the pictures of MiddleEarth in the book, caught my attention. I then found the Fellowship of the Ring, I read that first and went back and read the hobbit. This movie brought back many of those memories from 1979-1980. I truly loveWell, I have to start off and say, I found this book in my dad's books one day when I was 10. I had no idea what it was, and it was in a crappy book cover, but the pictures of MiddleEarth in the book, caught my attention. I then found the Fellowship of the Ring, I read that first and went back and read the hobbit. This movie brought back many of those memories from 1979-1980. I truly love what Peter Jackson did, I don't give a F, if they followed the book storyline, or added stuff or borrowed from unfinished tales or Silmarillion, this move IS GREAT! (tmiFyi - Bilbo was in Ali G). I have seen it three times, (after the second, I am gonna pass on 3D - what a gimmick). Love the First HOBBIT movie, please dont drag an Aragorn Love story into this series, please no one cares about Eowyns love of Aragorn, don't ruin this series with that RUBBISH! hehehe. I was so happy when they dropped the "crocket" and "golf", from the books - these parts are delightful. I even laughed at the one liner of the goblin king, it was a good addition to how the goblins were portrayed. I love what they did, although the three hours may have felt long, there should be an intermission for the movie - I N T E R M I S S I O N for any move over 2.5 hours PLEASE MANDATORY THIS! =) Expand
  17. Dec 18, 2012
    In short, it follows the book to apex, some of the lines in the movie is taken directly from the book itself, while it is extremely good at using the book as a source its also using alot of themes from other Tolkien books. Nothing wrong with that, the things that aint in the book is described in other fictions by Ser Tolkien and they do a excellent work at blending it all together
  18. Dec 22, 2012
    The movie is made wonderfully, great cure for the details, photography and soundtrack exceptionally stunning and amazing as in LOTR. Whatever people (or better, critics that do not deserve their job) could say, technology is fundamental in the future of cinema, and The Hobbit gives a beautiful glance at what could be the standards of future movies: 3D is wonderfully rendered and CGIThe movie is made wonderfully, great cure for the details, photography and soundtrack exceptionally stunning and amazing as in LOTR. Whatever people (or better, critics that do not deserve their job) could say, technology is fundamental in the future of cinema, and The Hobbit gives a beautiful glance at what could be the standards of future movies: 3D is wonderfully rendered and CGI reaches its top levels for now. The plot is very well adapted from the book, and all the changes are fully understandable and appreciable (always remember that a movie is NOT a book). Fundamental warning: this isn't LOTR! The circumstances, tone and messages of this story are completely different!! Do not expect to see a master-of-epicness like LOTR, but a much more light and humorous narration, set in the same amazing world of LOTR, Middle-earth. Given this, enjoy this masterpiece, and thank you PJ! :) Expand
  19. Dec 14, 2012
    The film is one of the best movie of the last 5 years. The 3D effect is the most wonderful 3d effect i've ever seen. The story is just perfect, it feels like reading the book. Bilbo is amazing, Thorin, Gandalf, Balin, Dwalin Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin Gloin, Fili, KIli. ALL perfect.
    Also Azog and the king of the goblins are just perfect. Andy Serkis (Gollum) did a marvellous work on gollum and the scene of riddles in the dark made me cry.
    Go watching for it, you'll never be sorry for that!
  20. Dec 19, 2012
    This is a awesome movie. I think people were expecting something better than the LOTR, and when it did not achieve that, gave it super low scores instead. Which is ridiculuis. I can see how some might be bored by the first hour of the movie, which does not have much action, but the next two hours have SO MANY fighting scenes it is amazing. especially 48fps. This movies score i think shouldThis is a awesome movie. I think people were expecting something better than the LOTR, and when it did not achieve that, gave it super low scores instead. Which is ridiculuis. I can see how some might be bored by the first hour of the movie, which does not have much action, but the next two hours have SO MANY fighting scenes it is amazing. especially 48fps. This movies score i think should be high 80s, and i am putting 10 to counteract the trolls. Expand
  21. Dec 19, 2012
    This film was a great experience for me, from the opening scene to the end credits. I was utterly captivated. Saw it in the older 24fps format, so can't comment on that, but even so, can't understand how the professional reviewers got it so wrong.
    A masterful film that gives me great hope for the next two.
  22. Dec 22, 2012
    Go Watch this movie thinkig yourself: im going to watch The Hobbit, not im going to watch lord of the ring. This movie ia a lighter, funnier and to my own opinion better approach to the middle heart. It is an extremely fun ride that will leave goosebumps all over your body and that will make you smile from the begining to the end. There are much less battles, compared to the two towers orGo Watch this movie thinkig yourself: im going to watch The Hobbit, not im going to watch lord of the ring. This movie ia a lighter, funnier and to my own opinion better approach to the middle heart. It is an extremely fun ride that will leave goosebumps all over your body and that will make you smile from the begining to the end. There are much less battles, compared to the two towers or to the return of the king but the few that are in the movie are freaking epic. Its impossible not to compare it with its lord of the ring counterpart, and i can only say its as good if not better than the trilogy. And Thorin si a badass. Expand
  23. Dec 27, 2012
    The hobbit being shorter than the Lord of the Rings books, it's a common question as to why three movies are made to adapt it. Many of the reviews I've read have mentioned that it drags in order to keep consistent length, and still have three films. I don't agree them. I appreciate the additions to the story, particularly Radaghast. I also feel this will make the "battle of the fiveThe hobbit being shorter than the Lord of the Rings books, it's a common question as to why three movies are made to adapt it. Many of the reviews I've read have mentioned that it drags in order to keep consistent length, and still have three films. I don't agree them. I appreciate the additions to the story, particularly Radaghast. I also feel this will make the "battle of the five armies" quite massive. "An Unexpected Journey" has a good sense of humor, and sense of adventure, and it's nice to see some of the updated technology utilized in the film to bring the creatures and settings to life.

(I watched in 24fps, non-3d)
  24. Dec 14, 2012
    Though not quite as good as the Lord of the Rings films, the first installment of the planned Hobbit trilogy was engaging, fun, and beautiful. Some may argue that it takes to long to start but the beginning is filled with fun moments that introduce the characters as well as the quest that will occupy these three films. It does a fantastic job conveying that the Hobbit is more of a bitThough not quite as good as the Lord of the Rings films, the first installment of the planned Hobbit trilogy was engaging, fun, and beautiful. Some may argue that it takes to long to start but the beginning is filled with fun moments that introduce the characters as well as the quest that will occupy these three films. It does a fantastic job conveying that the Hobbit is more of a bit less serious than the Lord of the Rings and kids will be sure to get a few laughs. Peter Jackson is once again able to show the beauty of Middle Earth with stunning shots of the land and is able to convey the grand scope of the quest effectively. The performances were absolutely fantastic. Sir Ian McKellen delivers once again as the wizard Gandalf and Martin Freeman was incredibly charming as Bilbo Baggins. Though there are a lot of dwarves to keep track of and some of them are more forgettable than others, all performances are solid and Jackson allows pretty much all of them at least some dialogue. I am sure they will get more notice in the next two films. The only downside is that at times there is a feel of overuse of CGI. Part of what made the LotR films great was the mix of real with CGI. Most of the orcs are completely CGI and therefore the combat seems to be lacking. But seeing as this is a happier movie series that isn't combat driven like the LotR films it is forgivable. For those wondering how such a relatively short book will span three films, Jackson adapts many of Tolkien's other writings to the film as to provide background and context. To people who read The Hobbit that may recall something in the film not happening in the book, don't worry it is nothing that Tolkien didn't already write. Overall The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a fantastic film that is tons of fun and does a great job introducing characters and kicking of the beloved epic tale that will take two more installments. Any fan of Tolkien will love it... unless your just a dick. Expand
  25. Dec 20, 2012
    Just great. One of the best adaptation of the book ever. Everything that add or change - better. Dwarfs all full of charisma and badassity. Really, I don't know, why some critics say this movie so much suck ass - for me, its only best of the year movie.
  26. Dec 16, 2012
    CRITICS GOT IT WRONG!!!! And I may have a hard time taking critics seriously ever again. This year, a lot of blockbuster movies were released (e.g. Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers) but The Hobbit surpassed them all and takes the crown as most exciting film of 2012. At first, I wondered at the logic of dividing the book into three parts. But I am a believer as the longer length allows youCRITICS GOT IT WRONG!!!! And I may have a hard time taking critics seriously ever again. This year, a lot of blockbuster movies were released (e.g. Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers) but The Hobbit surpassed them all and takes the crown as most exciting film of 2012. At first, I wondered at the logic of dividing the book into three parts. But I am a believer as the longer length allows you to fully immerse and appreciate yourself in this wonderful world of middle earth. Wonderful, magical, exciting! You must go watch this film!! Expand
  27. Dec 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the movie was completely amazing.it has great locations,nice cast and a very nice and simple story.
    martin freeman as bilbo was perfect.the movie was just a 'little' boring in the middle of the first half,rest of it was simply superb.its a must watch...those who didnt like this must be 'ORCS'.
  28. Dec 14, 2012
    It pains me to see so many people comparing The Hobbit to The lord of the rings movies. The Hobbit is a completely different story and really doesn't have much to do with lotr, therefore, I don't see this as a prequel and I never will. I think that they did a great job adding stuff that wasn't in the book in order to make this first movie more exciting and interesting.
    The ''Riddles in
    The ''Riddles in the dark'' scene with Bilbo and Gollum was just glorious. I could watch that for hours and still not be bored. The ending of the movie was really good too, Bilbo took a huge step as a character and I would say it was quite emotional, the bonds between the main characters are getting stronger.
  29. Dec 14, 2012
    Its a masterpiece. No sinister "LotR-mood", but that wasnt to expect. It takes as much time, as it needs and all the time is awesome. I just cant believe, that the Metascore is below 60....
  30. Dec 14, 2012
    THE 48FPS IS PERFECTLY FINE AND AMAZING. (I wanted to say that first because all the idiotic critic reviews of the framerate making them sick almost deterred me from going) The fps does take about twenty minutes to get adjusted to, but when you get used to it everything looks amazing. The best looking CGI I have ever seen. Regarding the story line it was a tiny bit slow during theTHE 48FPS IS PERFECTLY FINE AND AMAZING. (I wanted to say that first because all the idiotic critic reviews of the framerate making them sick almost deterred me from going) The fps does take about twenty minutes to get adjusted to, but when you get used to it everything looks amazing. The best looking CGI I have ever seen. Regarding the story line it was a tiny bit slow during the beginning, but can anyone say all parts of every lotr movie were 100% interesting and captivating? No. Once the movie picks up its a fantastic adventure with TONS of action, great dialogue, fantastic musical score reminiscent of LOTR and stunning cinematography. Don't compare this to LOTR, because it's not meant to be. It's an epic adventure in its own right. I watched this movie in 3D 48FPS and i plan to watch it many more times in exactly the same setting. Movies are meant to be this. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer