8.1

1. Dec 14, 2012
    "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is a great movie. The modern 3D - technology let us enter the world of Tolkien in a new dimension. Peter Jackson made a movie, which shows once again that the small ones are able to be great heroes. The soundtrack fits perfectly to the movie. I recommend you to watch this masterpiece.
    I also will watch it at least once again.
    P.S.: Please excuse my
    I also will watch it at least once again.

P.S.: Please excuse my bad english, i'm from Germany ;)
  2. Dec 14, 2012
    This is a beautiful film. The 3D is the best I have seen, the 48fps help this by reducing blur and making the whole thing appear much more crisp. The little references to the trilogy and the book itself (ie chapter names in the script) show that this was a labour of love and further proof of the respect Peter Jackson has for the source material. Although I would not say it surpasses theThis is a beautiful film. The 3D is the best I have seen, the 48fps help this by reducing blur and making the whole thing appear much more crisp. The little references to the trilogy and the book itself (ie chapter names in the script) show that this was a labour of love and further proof of the respect Peter Jackson has for the source material. Although I would not say it surpasses the Lord of the Rings trilogy this was an incredible film with some truly inspired scene. Needless to say Riddles in the Dark is a joy to behold. Expand
  3. Dec 14, 2012
    While the pacing drags for the first portion of the movie, particularly in the Radagast sequences, Peter Jackson once again brings us a Middle-Earth well worthy of Tolkien's novels and histories. Cate Blanchett particularly shines when she reprises her role from the LotR trilogy as Galadriel, exuding a power that positively sends shivers down the spine. Freeman as Bilbo and Armitage asWhile the pacing drags for the first portion of the movie, particularly in the Radagast sequences, Peter Jackson once again brings us a Middle-Earth well worthy of Tolkien's novels and histories. Cate Blanchett particularly shines when she reprises her role from the LotR trilogy as Galadriel, exuding a power that positively sends shivers down the spine. Freeman as Bilbo and Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield are both perfectly cast, and their dynamic as characters is absolutely excellent.

Gollum, once again, brings a twisted sort of fun in the Riddles in the Dark sequence, and the Ring still bears that soft power to it that seduces and twists. Meanwhile, the hobbit sensibility of Bilbo Baggins is exceptionally relatable even as I sit here with my laptop and mug of tea, reflecting on adventure and home and everything it means to go out your door.

Many of Tolkien's songs also appear in the movie, lending both light-heartedness and emotional resonance. I actually felt tears in my eyes during the "Far over the Misty Mountains" song, and was pleasantly surprised by the darkly funny "Goblintown." If this movie does not receive an Oscar nomination for its score, I will be deeply disappointed and most offended.

The 3D was subtle, too, and I am glad of that. Jackson once again shows restraint with the temptation of overusing special effects -- what few there were did not intrude on the story so as to throw me out of it. Once again, Middle-Earth feels as real as the floor under my feet, and for that, I am deeply, deeply thankful.
  4. Dec 14, 2012
    People need to stop thinking about The Lord of the Rings when they go to watch this film. The Hobbit wasn't even written the same way as LotR by Tolkien. It's not a dark, epic drama that portends the end of an age, ultimate evil, and the tragedy of life lost: not just in battle, but of those who's souls are never the same after the grand journey (Frodo).

It's a fun adventure featuring

It's a fun adventure featuring the races and monsters that birthed contemporary fantasy. If you go in expecting that, you will be MORE than satisfied by this film. It gets better as it goes along. It was accurate to the book, and gave us just enough of a LotR tie-in without overshadowing the main quest of The Hobbit.
  5. Dec 14, 2012
    It has angered me critics are disgusted at the films drawn out length in terms of being a part of the lord of the rings franchise. But at the end of the day the story telling ability in this film and the beauty you find in the scenes makes it a fantastic film which definitely deserves a 10. This is a film review not a business case review!
  6. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a Tolkien fan since I was 9 when I read The Hobbit. After I read The Lord of the Rings couple of years later I was forever hooked to the great storytelling of Tolkien. Then came The Silmarillion and all the other books related to the lore. I couldn't get enough. I'm a Tolkien lore nut, not elvish speaking but a nut none the less. I heard complaints about the first hour of the movie, too long, unnecessary and whatnot, but for me it was grand, seeing how Thorin gets his last name, Bilbo's pantry getting ravaged and the dwarfs singing. Also the appearance of Radagast the Brown (I heard someone wrote that he's like Jar Jar Binks, I mean really?) and mention of the Blue wizards works well. Not to mention the Golum creature and the riddle game displayed in full. Peter Jackson draws from other sources not just The Hobbit but from all of the Tolkien lore and, as in the first trilogy he takes liberties to get us closer to the story and he is on the spot. If you are a fan of Tolkien you will see this movie, Jackson doesn't destroy anything of the Tolkien's vision, if I'm allowed to say (and may the Valar forgive me) he improves it in parts. Expand
  7. Dec 14, 2012
    This film has a different feel than the Lord of the Rings trilogy but you have to remember it IS a different trilogy and the source material has a different feel too. The story was fleshed out nicely with several tie-ins to the Lord of the Rings that made it truly feel like part of the same world from another time. The story is much lighter with a lot more humor and a bit lessThis film has a different feel than the Lord of the Rings trilogy but you have to remember it IS a different trilogy and the source material has a different feel too. The story was fleshed out nicely with several tie-ins to the Lord of the Rings that made it truly feel like part of the same world from another time. The story is much lighter with a lot more humor and a bit less intensity/impending doom. Remember, the heroes are only trying to recover something, not save the world as in LOTR. The action sequences are mind bogglingly epic. Though I found myself enjoying the dialog more than the action. Yes the sets are computer generated instead of models but this gave the creators more freedom. I would rate the CG as the best I have seen and the way they blended it with the live actors was very atmospheric and mostly felt natural. Non-fans will have a hard time sitting through the entire movie. It IS long, but if you aren't a fan what are you doing at the movie? Really. Wait for the DVD and fast forward if it's too slow for you. Even when it comes to movies I don't enjoy I hate it when people complain about a movie being too long. I never understood that mindset. Books are never too long, neither are video games; no one is making you finish a movie you are bored of. I say create as much content as possible and let people watch if they enjoy it. Expand
  8. Dec 14, 2012
    extremely confused by the critics response to this, i would completely disregard most reviews as this is an excellent film. More lighthearted than LOTR, but then if jackson had given it exactly the same approach people would have criticised him for it. The length seems appropriate, as i didn't notice any sections dragging on and was interested throughout. overall it's an excellent film.extremely confused by the critics response to this, i would completely disregard most reviews as this is an excellent film. More lighthearted than LOTR, but then if jackson had given it exactly the same approach people would have criticised him for it. The length seems appropriate, as i didn't notice any sections dragging on and was interested throughout. overall it's an excellent film. IGNORE REVIEWS Expand
  9. Dec 14, 2012
    "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" have respected my expectations, it's an amazing movie, that respects the original Tolkien's work, and it is linked with the LOTR trilogy thanks to elements picked up by the Silmarillion and LOTR Appendices cleverly inserted by Peter Jackson!!
    Costumes, soundtrack, and interpretations were perfect, i loved Armitage as Thorin and Freeman as Bilbo!
    I
    I watched the movie in HFR 3D, and I fully refute the criticism towards this new technology, it was amazing! It takes 10 minutes to get used to the eye, but the result was incredible! An image sharpness never seen before! Good job PJ, 9/10
  10. Dec 14, 2012
    A master piece by a master directer.
    you feel a real energy and really a master piece of work,
    perfectly the best, includes every thing that was required, no mistake or rough edge....
    LOVE IT
  11. Dec 14, 2012
    Peter Jackson's latest foray into Middle Earth is far and away different from the original "Lord of the Rings" trilogy he started over a decade ago. The pacing in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is far closer to the pacing that Tolkien was so fond of, which unfortunately for the unweathered, can appear cumbersome at first. In general, the film is much closer to the tone and detailingPeter Jackson's latest foray into Middle Earth is far and away different from the original "Lord of the Rings" trilogy he started over a decade ago. The pacing in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is far closer to the pacing that Tolkien was so fond of, which unfortunately for the unweathered, can appear cumbersome at first. In general, the film is much closer to the tone and detailing of the original work than the Lord of the Rings trilogy was. Thorin and Bilbo's actor's do a phenomenal job in my humble opinion, as do McKellen and the rest of the original trilogy's cast that make an appearance(though who honestly expected otherwise from such illustrious names?).

On the downside, the CGI is quite heavy and is highly distracting in some scenes. I was somewhat disappointed to learn that the orcs were no longer going to be live actors anymore, as I feel that is what made them feel so perfect in the Lord of the Rings films. However, after the initial portion of the film, and excluding a few other portions, the CGI lightens up a bit and isn't as distracting(this is largely due to the Del Toro -- Jackson shift if you ask me).

Overall, the movie is fantastic. It's very close, especially in tone, to the book, despite having some extra things added (some from Tolkien's own lore, a bit made up for the movie). I feel that Jackson is only beginning to tap into the film set, and I'm very optimistic about the future films.
  12. Dec 22, 2012
    The movie is outstanding, although it wasn't as good as the any of the movies of The Lord of The Rings it sure made a good impression. It was filled with beautiful scenarios and stunning characters that had a very good acting. It is guaranteed that for most people it will exceed expectations, for others however should look for a more intense action movie if this wasn't entertaining enough,The movie is outstanding, although it wasn't as good as the any of the movies of The Lord of The Rings it sure made a good impression. It was filled with beautiful scenarios and stunning characters that had a very good acting. It is guaranteed that for most people it will exceed expectations, for others however should look for a more intense action movie if this wasn't entertaining enough, because even if it is a little wearing it is worth watching the beauty of the movie and it's history Expand
  13. Dec 14, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey manages to maintain the feeling that you are watching a film set in Middle Earth while being different enough to stand on it's own. The main difference is that the story is much lighter than The Lord of the Rings, much like the book. This allows for a more humourous tone throughout the film and a little more free rein for the writers to adapt it to aThe Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey manages to maintain the feeling that you are watching a film set in Middle Earth while being different enough to stand on it's own. The main difference is that the story is much lighter than The Lord of the Rings, much like the book. This allows for a more humourous tone throughout the film and a little more free rein for the writers to adapt it to a full feature length movie(s).

Yes, it is a long movie which could be shorter. Does it need to be shorter? For me the answer is no. I've always loved the world that Tolkien created and I was a little worried before watching it as to whether it would be too long or, more importantly, lose the magic of the first three films. If anything, it has reinvigorated my love for it. Have you ever watched something you loved and wish you could see it again as if you've never seen it before? Well if you felt that way about The Lord of the Rings then this is the closest you'll come to that experience. It is a wonderful film. Fans will love it and if those who are a little skeptical just approach it with an open mind, they'll love it too.
  14. Dec 26, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a really good movie, 3D is amazing, don't have a bad special effects, and the history is so much cool than the book, i give 10!
  15. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THE HOBBIT AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY
    DIRECTOR PETER JACKSON SCREENPLAY: PETER JACKSON PHILLIPA BOYENS GUILERMO DEL TORO FRAN WALSH

RATING PG-13

MUSIC : HOWARD SHORE MOVIE GRADE A+

Often analyzing a movie of one’s beloved franchise is quite difficult. Hence this review is written months after its release. Peter Jackson’s new installment has already rained box office with a whopping $1.02 billion despite several division between film critics and the series of controversies that dwelled around this movie right from the beginning from bankruptcy of MGM to PETA accusations of Animal mistreatment. One would have to say from a critics point of view Jackson is the perfect Talisman and he has pulled through an amazing cinematic display that he has done thrice before. The movie begins with the familiar notes of Howard Shore that has now if not earlier embedded itself in the world of Middle Earth. Our first glimpse of the Hobbit comes with seeing Bilbo in the present age on the day of arrival of Gandalf. Deciding to write a book on his entire adventure that he had sixty years ago he gave an account of the once epic dwarven kingdom of Erebor before it was smothered by the dragon Smaug. Following the prologue we see Bag End and Frodo talking with Bilbo about the Party Invitations. Later on Bilbo recollects the days when he was young.
    The scene moves now to 60 years earlier and it now shows Young Bilbo (Martin Freeman) letting out smoke rings before being stopped unwarily by Gandalf. The story moves at a slow pace where Gandalf invites thirteen dwarves to Bilbo’s place where they begin the planning of a quest to reclaim Erebor. After much negations Bilbo finally agrees and he decides to join the dwarves. There adventure begins with an account of Thorin’s past with the Orc Leader Azog after which they encounter trolls, orcs and wargs before they reach the Elven Kingdom.
    In Rivendell we see some of the lord of the rings characters in unity as the White council takes place with issues discussed of a unseen power in the forest of Mirkwood which was seen by Radagast, the brown wizard. The dwarves then leave Rivendell and takes the road of the misty mountains where they fall in a thunder battle between the mountain sized Stone Giants. Bilbo gets separated from the dwarves as the latter are caught by the mountain goblins and they face the Goblin king. Bilbo on his account meets Gollum and discovers a ring that in due course of time would change the fate of all in middle earth but is all unknown to Bilbo at that time. Escaping the mountains they are being chased by Orcs lead by Azog when the Eagles rescue them The film ends in the company seeing the lonely mountain from a distance and waking of the dragon.
    Although the film contains 1/3 of the content of the book “The Hobbit” it none the less expands the chapters beautifully as well as adding some extra scenes that took place that time but where not included in the book. The film is as enchanting as it can be and more than anything else is a perfect blend between cinematic sequences and music The epic features of the movie are being shown exceptionally and one can say confidently that we cannot imagine middle earth without Peter Jackson now. The small children’s classic tale being turned into an epic journey that asks for less but sure delivers a lot. Despite being on the slower side the pace gradually picks up and ends in a blast much the fireworks of Gandalf. This is a must watch for all movie goers as it is filled with literary artistic and entertainment values.
  16. Dec 14, 2012
    Seeing the mixed reviews by the critics makes me wonder if people read books anymore. If you read "The Hobbit", then you know that it is a light hearted kid friendly movie (with some serious moments). If you're going in to the movie thinking "It's Lord of the Rings again!" then you will be disappointed. Jackson and co. did the book tremendous justice.
  17. Dec 14, 2012
    Couldn't have hoped for a better movie to begin a new trilogy in the Lotr universe. The graphics were incredible (I'm currently studying in the 3D industry, and I honestly don't understand those who said that the CGI was bad), the story had a lot of depth, the characters were incredibly well played and the music honored the lotr trilogy while having its own spirit.

There will always be

There will always be haters. But if you're a true fan of the 1st trilogy, then this movie is for you. The user score don't lie; 8.4 for a movie is quite rare. Congratulation again on the new beginning!
  18. Dec 14, 2012
    Alright, all these negative critics' reviews of The Hobbit have gotten my jimmies in a rustle, so I've prepared a cup of "Too Long; Didn't Read" to start your morning off the right way.

"It's not as good as the LotR Trilogy." : This is an adaptation of a bedtime story for children. This isn't supposed to be a complex Drama-Epic for adults. It's a wondrous fantasy spectacle for young'ns, so Tolkien hadn't
  19. Dec 14, 2012
    First of all, the professional critics who gave this movie below a 65, you are shortsighted whining idiots. I've seen The Hobbit in IMAX 3D HFR and it was awesome. Okay the HFR is something to get used to, especially when the camera is moving it looks like it is played in fast forward. But the images itself look beautiful sharp. The CG looked pitch perfect, so i don't know if i wanna seeFirst of all, the professional critics who gave this movie below a 65, you are shortsighted whining idiots. I've seen The Hobbit in IMAX 3D HFR and it was awesome. Okay the HFR is something to get used to, especially when the camera is moving it looks like it is played in fast forward. But the images itself look beautiful sharp. The CG looked pitch perfect, so i don't know if i wanna see every movie in HFR but i can see a bright future for all high end CG movies like Avatar in 48fps. A lot of critics are complaining about the slow pace in the beginning, but that is exaggerated, it is entertaining from start to finish. After 25 minutes you are thrown in the adventure and it doesn't let go of you, foregoing from the funny scene's with the drarves in the beginning.The story is great and characters are all very good and very likeable. Martin Freeman as Jong Bilbo is the more then perfect person for the role. The cinematography is top notch, Andrew Lesnie you are legend. The scène riddles in the dark was awesome and Gollum OMG does CG ever gonna get better. Everyone go see this film and Peter Jackson and crew thank you for letting us visit beautiful Middle Earth again. Expand
  20. Dec 14, 2012
    After reading mixed critics I begun to worry.

You shouldn't. Critics do not like it because they keep comparing it with LOTR, and it is not. This is an adventure written on a kids book. The story is lighter, and the only thing that LOTR and this have in common is the place and the ring. I watched it on 48fps and I really liked it. It made 3d more appealing and everything beautiful.
    After reading mixed critics I begun to worry.

I watched it on 48fps and I really liked it. It made 3d more appealing and everything beautiful. The only problem of 48fps was that it was so real, that sometimes you could notice cgi.

But the technology is not the film, just the media and I am reviewing the film (although I liked 48fps)

The story is faithful to the book and brought me back to a place I thought I would never visit again. Just being back in middle earth is amazing.

Martin as Bilbo, Richard as Thorin and Ian as Gandalf reprise their roles with excellence. And thanks to the division into three films we get to know more about the other dwarfs and care about them.

The riddles in the dark scene is outstanding. And Howard Shore's composition is brilliant as ever.

I could not have wanted more from this film. A fun, and amazing comeback to a great adventure to come.
  21. Dec 15, 2012
    As other reviewers have mentioned, I too wonder whether or not the critics are watching the same movies as we do. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is astounding film; the acting is phenomenal, the cinematography is splendid and akin to that of LotR, the soundtrack is jaw-dropping, and as for the reviews of the visual effects - how they aren't that remarkable -; these are completeAs other reviewers have mentioned, I too wonder whether or not the critics are watching the same movies as we do. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is astounding film; the acting is phenomenal, the cinematography is splendid and akin to that of LotR, the soundtrack is jaw-dropping, and as for the reviews of the visual effects - how they aren't that remarkable -; these are complete misconceptions. The movie is well worth your time, and more than deserves a 10 out of 10 rating. Expand
  22. Dec 14, 2012
    Just Excellent! Pure Brilliance... Definitely movie of the year! The cast are just spot on [Gotta love Radagast the Brown] and music is as ethereal as ever; simply pure genius.
  23. Dec 14, 2012
    A lot of critics are complaining about the length of this movie, but in my opinion this was not one of the negatives. I was amazed and entertained with every second of the movie, and was dreading seeing the credits. A feeling that I'm sure many Tolkien fans will share. Sure the beginning started off a little slow, but after passing the 45 minute threshold the movie almost became aA lot of critics are complaining about the length of this movie, but in my opinion this was not one of the negatives. I was amazed and entertained with every second of the movie, and was dreading seeing the credits. A feeling that I'm sure many Tolkien fans will share. Sure the beginning started off a little slow, but after passing the 45 minute threshold the movie almost became a nonstop adventure that fans have come to expect from the LOTR's. The acting was great, the sets and scenery breathtaking, a fantastic soundtrack, and great action. All centered around a amazing story, dotted with additions from other Tolkien books, that for the most part follows the book. The only problems I had with the movie is that I didn't care as much about the dwarves as I did members of the LOTR's fellowship. They just were all to similar and number to many to gain any sort of real emotional attachment, excluding Thorin. The second problem being the use of CGI for orks instead of actors in customs. They just didn't seem as real, and left me wondering why Jackson made the switch. Outside of these minor complaints though, the Hobbit was an amazing film, and my personal favorite of 2012. Expand
  24. Dec 14, 2012
    I hate how the reviewers base their reviews on comparisons between The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Next time you write a review, focus on the movie itself and not the elements outside of it.
  25. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly I had doubts about this movie, I thought Peter Jackson could lose the "touch" after all this years, but The Hobbit: An unexpected journey" it's an amazing movie! It brings that nostalgic feeling watching the same actors from ten years ago, the 48fps seems quite nice and easy to adapt to it, good soundtracks from Howard Shore, good acting & setting, they included parts (and will keep including parts) from other Tolkien stories for example The White Council, the investigation of Dol Guldur, etc etc..I LOVED this movie.

But yes, its not perfect, it have flaws...very slow paced movie (at the first half of the movie) some details were irrelevant and could have been omitted until the Extended Edition release, Radagast felt weak portrayed, there were more-than-necessary cheesy quotes that I hope they avoid in the next films..
    I understand if people didnt like this movie but after reading some reviews most of them have biased "facts" and a 0 score, really? Anyways...it is a great movie, I expected less but it surpassed my expectations, I recommend it.
  26. Dec 14, 2012
    An excellent addition to Jackson's collection of Tolkien adaptations. Word of advice, don't go into watching this film wanting a film exactly like Fellowship of the Ring. It's not, it has a different feel, and different tone, but you will still know you are being absorbed into Middle Earth while watching AUJ. The acting is superb - Freeman and Armitage ARE Bilbo and Thorin, and of courseAn excellent addition to Jackson's collection of Tolkien adaptations. Word of advice, don't go into watching this film wanting a film exactly like Fellowship of the Ring. It's not, it has a different feel, and different tone, but you will still know you are being absorbed into Middle Earth while watching AUJ. The acting is superb - Freeman and Armitage ARE Bilbo and Thorin, and of course McKellen and Serkis reprise their roles with perfection.

An Unexpected Journey is an adaptation of The Hobbit - not LOTR. It has a different tone and critics going into this film expecting the same emotional ups and downs as LOTR will be disappointed. Not to say there isn't any in AUJ - there are plenty.
  27. Dec 14, 2012
    Beautifully made, whimsical, and thoroughly entertaining. Much more lighthearted than I thought, Martin Freeman is great! Definitely recommend, want to see it again in the 48 frames!
  28. Dec 14, 2012
    Well, I officially no longer trust the review of "critics." How this movie has such an average score with critics is jaw-dropping. While it's not an AMAZING movie, it is no doubt a very very GOOD movie. While it isn't on par with the Lord of the Rings films, it certainly does the franchise justice. And it CERTAINLY does not warrant the bashing is has received from "official" critics.Well, I officially no longer trust the review of "critics." How this movie has such an average score with critics is jaw-dropping. While it's not an AMAZING movie, it is no doubt a very very GOOD movie. While it isn't on par with the Lord of the Rings films, it certainly does the franchise justice. And it CERTAINLY does not warrant the bashing is has received from "official" critics. Thankfully the user score comes to the rescue once more!

I wish I could have scored this movie an 8.5. It isn't quite an 8 but neither is it a 9. It is a movie that is just short of greatness, but easily worth your money and time.

The start to the film will bore some people, but it will enthrall others. If you enjoy a bit of comedy and lots of character development, you'll like the first third. If you came to the movie theaters in hope of constant action, well... you might be yawning for the first hour.

But action fans will get their money's worth towards the end of the movie. It is a treat to see the wild escapes and fights that form the action packed climax of the film. Some of the coolest looking, and just plain FUN action scenes I've seen in a while.

The pacing is a bit weird, but those who want story will get it. Those who want action will get it. Those who want both will be VERY happy when all is said and done.

The acting is fantastic. Bilbo's and Thorin's actors nail it. I was expecting good things out of those two, but "good" just doesn't do them justice. Bilbo is a clumsy, nervous, and unconfident hero who you laugh at, laugh with, and constantly cheer for. Thorin walks that fine line between jerk and tragic hero... he is a dark character who will anger you and pull at your heart strings all at the same time. Both Bilbo and Thorin feel REAL, at least as real as a Hobbit and fantasy Dwarf can.

This movie is not a 10/10 for a reason though. It certainly has it's flaws. For one, it relies too heavily upon CGI. A good movie will find a balance between real and animated. Unfortunately An Unexpected Journey did not find this balance. While the CGI is great, it's over-usage is a major distraction at points. A second major flaw is that it feels a bit to drawn out. Jackson could have cut out an action scene here or there, or, could have shortened some of the heavy narration and introductions during the beginning of the film.

Still the flaws do not bog down this excellent movie. I say it is a must see! Just don't go into it expecting the grand scale found in Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit is a much smaller story. There is no END OF THE WORLD scenario. It is the tale of a group of Dwarves trying to reclaim their home, and a simple Hobbit who finds the courage to join them on their adventure. PROS:
    A strong story and heavy character development for Thorin, Bilbo, and Gandalf. Great action scenes
    Great visuals (even if a bit to CGI heavy)
    Great use of 3D (note I DID NOT SEE THE HIGH DEFINITION VERSION, so I cannot comment on that)
    Amazing costumes
    A surprising amount of funny scenes

CONS:
    Overused CGI
    The story feels a bit thinly stretched throughout the middle of the film
    Odd pacing here and there
    I have to wait a year to see the next film... NNNNOOOOOOO!
  29. Dec 14, 2012
    The hobbit lived up to my expectations. The only negative thing I can think of is that the movie as a whole is much more CGI heavy than the LOTR trilogy, however this is both a bad and a good thing. In some scenes it is quite blatantly obvious where CGI was used which in turn ruins the flow of the film, I can only think of two instances of this happening where it actually stood out andThe hobbit lived up to my expectations. The only negative thing I can think of is that the movie as a whole is much more CGI heavy than the LOTR trilogy, however this is both a bad and a good thing. In some scenes it is quite blatantly obvious where CGI was used which in turn ruins the flow of the film, I can only think of two instances of this happening where it actually stood out and made quite a bit of difference. It was purposely used however, to create humor. The positive aspects of the heavy CGI use was that it created very unique looking characters that make the creatures in The Hobbit look fresh and new than the classic orcs we have seen over and over again. Expand
  30. Dec 15, 2012
    As a massive fan of the book I was desperate for all the magic I remembered to be present, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. An absolute marvel from start to finish, the performances were stunning, the music beautiful and entrancing, the depth and detail of the environments pulled you in and the script was utterly charming. Although some aspects were tweaked they were few andAs a massive fan of the book I was desperate for all the magic I remembered to be present, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. An absolute marvel from start to finish, the performances were stunning, the music beautiful and entrancing, the depth and detail of the environments pulled you in and the script was utterly charming. Although some aspects were tweaked they were few and far between and any change made felt right. I didn't notice the length at all, I was so engrossed it just flew by. With any luck I'll be seeing it again...and again. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer