8.0

1. Feb 12, 2013
    This is just one of those movies that may not meet expectations of previous non-fans. I have read "The Hobbit" around 10 times in my life and I knew going in that this was not going to be as serious of a movie as The Lord of the Rings films, and I was OK with that. I felt this movie captured the book successfully and I'm excited about the future movies (which I believe will be moreThis is just one of those movies that may not meet expectations of previous non-fans. I have read "The Hobbit" around 10 times in my life and I knew going in that this was not going to be as serious of a movie as The Lord of the Rings films, and I was OK with that. I felt this movie captured the book successfully and I'm excited about the future movies (which I believe will be more serious in nature). It is unfair to compare this movie with The Lord of the Rings. As a life-long Tolkien fan, I was pleased with this film. Expand
  2. Dec 19, 2012
    This is a awesome movie. I think people were expecting something better than the LOTR, and when it did not achieve that, gave it super low scores instead. Which is ridiculuis. I can see how some might be bored by the first hour of the movie, which does not have much action, but the next two hours have SO MANY fighting scenes it is amazing. especially 48fps. This movies score i think shouldThis is a awesome movie. I think people were expecting something better than the LOTR, and when it did not achieve that, gave it super low scores instead. Which is ridiculuis. I can see how some might be bored by the first hour of the movie, which does not have much action, but the next two hours have SO MANY fighting scenes it is amazing. especially 48fps. This movies score i think should be high 80s, and i am putting 10 to counteract the trolls. Expand
  3. Dec 22, 2012
    Go Watch this movie thinkig yourself: im going to watch The Hobbit, not im going to watch lord of the ring. This movie ia a lighter, funnier and to my own opinion better approach to the middle heart. It is an extremely fun ride that will leave goosebumps all over your body and that will make you smile from the begining to the end. There are much less battles, compared to the two towers orGo Watch this movie thinkig yourself: im going to watch The Hobbit, not im going to watch lord of the ring. This movie ia a lighter, funnier and to my own opinion better approach to the middle heart. It is an extremely fun ride that will leave goosebumps all over your body and that will make you smile from the begining to the end. There are much less battles, compared to the two towers or to the return of the king but the few that are in the movie are freaking epic. Its impossible not to compare it with its lord of the ring counterpart, and i can only say its as good if not better than the trilogy. And Thorin si a badass. Expand
  4. Dec 18, 2012
    I seen the hobbit movie and i like it , and there something that i don't understand , in the lord of the rings ,we see Ian Holm as Bilbo gets the ring.
  5. Dec 17, 2012
    Lots of fun, great action, and very witty. I loved the hobbit. Even though some things were a bit off from the book, it made the movie that much more enjoyable. People need to realize what the hobbit is about before giving it a bad review. Its not about EVIL and BATTLES, its about an adventure from an unlikely fellow.
  6. Dec 23, 2012
    Peter Jackson tried with this movie to satisfied all the TLOTR fans, without paying attention to the other people who don´t have any idea about what this movie is about. And because of that, if you haven´t seen the other movies or if you don´t enjoy them, this movie would dislike you. The first half an hour of the film is a bit stopped, without action nor battles. ThePeter Jackson tried with this movie to satisfied all the TLOTR fans, without paying attention to the other people who don´t have any idea about what this movie is about. And because of that, if you haven´t seen the other movies or if you don´t enjoy them, this movie would dislike you. The first half an hour of the film is a bit stopped, without action nor battles. The problem of the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is that all the fantasy of the other movies and all the special senses comes at the end of the film, and the other 2 hours are a bit disappointing. I enjoyed so much this movie, ´cause I´m fan of the others and I love the movies. If you liked the others, you´ll enjoy this one. Expand
  7. Dec 30, 2012
    The Hobbit...was...amazing! It lives up to its genre name which would be adventure. It was exciting, humorous, interesting,and weird. Part 1 is an extremely good start to what might 2nd most epic trilogy of all time.
  8. Dec 21, 2012
    The critic side goes to show what little they know about entertainment. The Hobbit is every bit as good and even more engaging as LOTR (even during the "lulls"). The HFR version does show a few seams in the production and can be a little dizzying in more kinetic scenes, but these very minor factors are quickly forgotten for the sake of an adventure. Welcome back, Hobbitses!
  9. Jan 6, 2013
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is not what I 'expected', it was indeed an 'unexpected journey' I went on when I saw the film. As a big fan of The Lord of the Rings I forgot that the books were maybe written by the same Writer but where not meant for the same audience. I was expecting an en epic fight with the same dramatic quest to save the world but what I saw were (like in the book)The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is not what I 'expected', it was indeed an 'unexpected journey' I went on when I saw the film. As a big fan of The Lord of the Rings I forgot that the books were maybe written by the same Writer but where not meant for the same audience. I was expecting an en epic fight with the same dramatic quest to save the world but what I saw were (like in the book) just the beginning and the base of what will become my favourite movies and books. The Hobbit is a good movie and I thank God that they decided to include several other story's from Tolkiens Middle-Earth into it but this movie is not always appropriate for children (like the book), Peter Jackson also tried to make it appealing for teenagers and young adults and to be quit honest he failed on that part. He should have gone one way or the other but not try to mix a children's book with the style from LOTR. Still, the visuals are perfect, I saw the movie in 3D/HFR and was blown away by it! I saw Middle-Earth as I never saw it before and I can't wait to see the next part(s)! The Score was epic and I loved how they brought some elements from the LOTR score into the score of The Hobbit to give us this nostalgic feeling. Expand
  10. Jan 13, 2013
    A good deal better than I expected. Still too long, a few too many characters, certainly too much in the way of epic computerised interiors of caves, and a bit of pandering to the LOTR tragics in terms of gratuitous cameos from elves and wizards. But the bottom line is that it works. Overall, the Hobbit is warm and funny, and it establishes the link with the LOTR films pretty seamlessly.A good deal better than I expected. Still too long, a few too many characters, certainly too much in the way of epic computerised interiors of caves, and a bit of pandering to the LOTR tragics in terms of gratuitous cameos from elves and wizards. But the bottom line is that it works. Overall, the Hobbit is warm and funny, and it establishes the link with the LOTR films pretty seamlessly. The film is definitely aimed at a younger crowd than LOTR (just like the book of the Hobbit) and is none the worse for that. Rather a lot of suspension of disbelief is required (no casualties or injuries whatsoever from everybody falling off extremely high cliffs, as well as endless attacks by horrible orcs, trolls, wolves, gigantic stone beings and necromancers? Unless you count the mounds of dismembered orcs) but so what? Sign me up for the next one. Expand
  11. Dec 24, 2012
    While the hobbit is not a perfect movie, it is a fun movie. one thing that brought the hobbit a little bit down was its pacing, some scenes just dragged way to long. Another thing that bought it down was that Peter Jackson tried to expand a children's book narrative int a more complex one that stretched things too long. Ignoring the negatives the hobbit excels in visuals because of theWhile the hobbit is not a perfect movie, it is a fun movie. one thing that brought the hobbit a little bit down was its pacing, some scenes just dragged way to long. Another thing that bought it down was that Peter Jackson tried to expand a children's book narrative int a more complex one that stretched things too long. Ignoring the negatives the hobbit excels in visuals because of the 48fps it was shot in and the fighting scenes in the movie were top notch. The hobbit doesn't feel like LOTR but it makes it's on feel Expand
  12. Dec 23, 2012
    Although the film's first act may seem a bit sluggish to some, in my opinion "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" powers through it with plenty of humor, surprisingly well-developed characters, and an always-stellar amount of visual magnificence.
  13. May 8, 2013
    Please don't pay any attention to the idiot critics over there on the left.. This movie was amazing, and as a LotR fan myself, I was pretty impressed by how it exceeded my expectations. The different fascinating locations, the interesting characters, the intriguing plot, it all comes together to form a great retelling of part of Tolkien's book. I began watching the Hobbit with slightPlease don't pay any attention to the idiot critics over there on the left.. This movie was amazing, and as a LotR fan myself, I was pretty impressed by how it exceeded my expectations. The different fascinating locations, the interesting characters, the intriguing plot, it all comes together to form a great retelling of part of Tolkien's book. I began watching the Hobbit with slight caution as I wasn't sure it would meet my expectations, but boy, was I in for a surprise. And so will anyone else who isn't sure whether to pick this one up or not, but all I have to say is: Whether you're a Lord of The Rings fan or not, watch this, NOW. Expand
  14. Nov 27, 2013
    I kept delaying watching it for months, maybe because I was intimidated by the length. Who wouldn't be? Expanding a three hundred page book into a trilogy made me think Peter Jackson was having a hard time letting go of Middle Earth. And if all of the three movies were to be this long, he was at a risk of ridicule for over ambition. But if the first instalment is any indication, heI kept delaying watching it for months, maybe because I was intimidated by the length. Who wouldn't be? Expanding a three hundred page book into a trilogy made me think Peter Jackson was having a hard time letting go of Middle Earth. And if all of the three movies were to be this long, he was at a risk of ridicule for over ambition. But if the first instalment is any indication, he succeeded in creating a fulfilling beginning to this new adventure fairly well.

This time we follow a group of dwarves and a young Bilbo. Gandalf is the only major character from The Lord of the Rings to feature in this movie. Thorin the dwarf king replaces Aragorn as the thick skinned leader of the group.

The cinematography was up at the same standard as from the previous movies. It was shot with the Red One digital camera, with a frame rate per second of 48. It looked different and dare I say better than the previous trilogy.

The pacing was controlled with ingenuity and never for a moment did the movie drag. It was a constant shuffle between action pieces, dialogue, imagery and visual back story. But between some of the major plot points, I sensed that there was a lack of direction. It was like Jackson was trying to show us how these creatures lived instead of telling us a cohesive story as he did previously.

Martin Freeman is a much better actor than Elijah Wood and this works in favour of The Hobbit. Bilbo is much more engaging as the lead adventure seeker. Orcs and even Trolls seem to be more than just the cannon fodder as portrayed previously. They actually form some kind of societies and hold prolonged conversations, and display that they are capable of rudimentary intelligence. Thankfully Jackson dispenses with the stereotypes associated with these species to a certain degree.

The lost kingdom of the dwarves, Rivendale and the underground Orc city were created splendidly. The camera pans though the environment and gives you a sense of the enormity and beauty of these places. The sheer scope of this CGI is mind boggling. The amount of money spent on the movie is quite palpable. The score was refreshing and kept the tone light.

Lord of the Rings is simply a much better story than The Hobbit. The best was the Fellowship in my opinion. But The Hobbit still is better made than The Two Towers. It may be because the Fellowship was a much more interesting story to film, or because it was a realist tale, but I decided that The Hobbit lags behind the former in nearly every aspect. They are not even in the same league. But this is the mistake right here. These stories should not be compared at all, for they belong to almost different genres. LOTR was a mature tale about war and suffering it brings while The Hobbit is more of a children's adventure fairy tale with a fair amount of humour, where no one dies and everything sorts out in the end, almost Deus Ex Machina-style.
  15. Mar 8, 2013
    Great movie! I miss a bit of the Lord Of The Rings atmosphere because it plays in the same universe. But ok, this movie is better to watch for kids. Lord Of The Rings was much more complex. Iam fine with this the movie was awesome on its own, the humor (especially the dwarfs and ogre). I also must say that the movie is not to long it runs like 2,5h. Its interesting until the end.
  16. May 4, 2013
    I don't get why everyone is so negative about this movie. This movie is really a great one, not so good as the Lord of the Rings-trilogy, but Peter Jackson did again excellent work. It's a good and sometimes funny movie. This is a must-see-movie for the whole family. Peter Jackson never disappoints me by far. I am really looking forward to the next movie, I'm very curious about the outerI don't get why everyone is so negative about this movie. This movie is really a great one, not so good as the Lord of the Rings-trilogy, but Peter Jackson did again excellent work. It's a good and sometimes funny movie. This is a must-see-movie for the whole family. Peter Jackson never disappoints me by far. I am really looking forward to the next movie, I'm very curious about the outer movies of the trilogy. Expand
  17. Jan 3, 2013
    This movie is an amazing adventure! Peter Jackson put 100% in this movie. i don't whats with the low rating.. but that's just the critics. this movie is a must see!
  18. Dec 26, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a really good movie, 3D is amazing, don't have a bad special effects, and the history is so much cool than the book, i give 10!
  19. Dec 17, 2012
    If you love LOTR you will love this....ignore the majority of the press this film is a masterpiece ! .The length of it seems to be an issue ,all i will say is if you are a fan of tolkien and the idea of spending another 3hrs in middle earth fires your imagination then you will not be dissapointed....this film is awesome.
  20. Dec 16, 2012
    Although the story coincides with Tolkien 's work, it's slow start seems to keep the story progression from picking up and lingers too long in Middle Earth at times. The visuals are spectacular, and at other moments it can be quite the opposite, as there is a "BBC television" feel to the filming (especially indoor shots). I'm not sure what's to blame for this, whether it's the i-max,Although the story coincides with Tolkien 's work, it's slow start seems to keep the story progression from picking up and lingers too long in Middle Earth at times. The visuals are spectacular, and at other moments it can be quite the opposite, as there is a "BBC television" feel to the filming (especially indoor shots). I'm not sure what's to blame for this, whether it's the i-max, 3-D, 48 fps or bad lighting but it is comparable to being on a live set observing a film shoot, which removes you from the sensation of it being a film at times. Despite it's flaws, and all the harsh criticism, the movie is still entertaining and worthy of being seen in theaters (as well as a future blu-ray purchase). There isn't much to the story of the Hobbit, and I think Peter Jackson has done a lot with a short children's story while tying in plot points that lead to the events of Lord of the Rings. The film manages to maintain the same atmosphere of Middle Earth with elaborate sets, creatures, wardrobe and beautiful cinematography. Well done. Expand
  21. Dec 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I must have watched a different movie than those other critics with negative reviews. This movie stuck well with the book, it had tons of action with gorgeous visuals. The end of the film transitions well into the second movie. I'm looking forward to the next film with the encounter with Smaug. The first movie would have been too long had they end with the Smaug encounter. Expand
  22. Dec 16, 2012
    A great movie that is let down by acouple of pacing problems early on. Fans of the LotR will love this, despite just missing tout on the greatness of that trilogy. No doubt will be improved by the extended cuts and sequels.
  23. Dec 16, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, is an outstanding movie. I've been waiting for this flick for a long time and it did not disappoint. It had exactly what I was looking for in an adaptation of Tolkien's book. Unfortunately I do not live near a theatre that was showing the HFR version, so I'm unable to comment on that. But from what I've heard from friends it's either hit or miss.
  24. Dec 17, 2012
    It's nice to be back in Middle-Earth. Great actors, cool action scenes, epic soundtrack. It might be a bit slow at times, but it's never boring at all.
  25. Dec 17, 2012
    THE HOBBIT is an amazing film. Peter Jackson has made a masterpiece one more time. This film has also humour and makes laugh. We have once more a three hours movie. Great film.
  26. Dec 17, 2012
    I don't know where the critics get off giving this film moderate reviews, the film is incredible. The critics are clearly desperate to pick holes in The Hobbit after The Lord of the Rings Trilogy was so perfect, but anyone that's seen it will tell you that the film is amazing. Best film of the year by far.
  27. Dec 17, 2012
    Peter Jackson didn't disappointed us with the Lord of the Rings and if your really want to know, he didn't disappointed me with the hobbit either because Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings mostly for big fantasy thinkers, but he wrote the hobbit for his very own children and you might have noticed the movie has more humour and the actions are not that realistic but in a way he brought us allPeter Jackson didn't disappointed us with the Lord of the Rings and if your really want to know, he didn't disappointed me with the hobbit either because Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings mostly for big fantasy thinkers, but he wrote the hobbit for his very own children and you might have noticed the movie has more humour and the actions are not that realistic but in a way he brought us all back to the Middle Earth we love because the quality of the movie and the music has only improved itself and for me they are doing a great job by giving the Lord of the Rings fans another joy to watch, that's my own judge on the movie. Expand
  28. Dec 20, 2012
    "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is a revolutionary film that has now expanded how film can be shot. Using the new 48-frames per second with stunning 3-D we get an absolutely beautiful picture that shows how real a movie can look. While this is all great, I found that I really enjoyed the way Peter Jackson shot and filmed his original trilogy, with lots of makeup, huge sets, and limited"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is a revolutionary film that has now expanded how film can be shot. Using the new 48-frames per second with stunning 3-D we get an absolutely beautiful picture that shows how real a movie can look. While this is all great, I found that I really enjoyed the way Peter Jackson shot and filmed his original trilogy, with lots of makeup, huge sets, and limited CGI(Computer Graphic Images). I found that while this film is beautiful, I could tell when a creature was CGI and I found it heavily distracting. The original trilogy got Oscars for makeup! and now they were using CGI for most of their characters and back sets. I give it a seven because while it was very cool to look at, I found it to be merely entertaining;a good way to spend three-hours at movies. Expand
  29. Dec 31, 2012
    Those who appreciate attention to detail from the book will love it. It does a great job of touching on all the high points of the book while giving a bit more exposition to certain characters. Yes some things have been embellished upon, but it's tolerable considering the wide berth of people this movie was made to accommodate. I mean, we are talking about what was basically a children'sThose who appreciate attention to detail from the book will love it. It does a great job of touching on all the high points of the book while giving a bit more exposition to certain characters. Yes some things have been embellished upon, but it's tolerable considering the wide berth of people this movie was made to accommodate. I mean, we are talking about what was basically a children's story being turned into a major motion picture. Expand
  30. Dec 23, 2012
    I was shocked when I saw how poorly this movie was rated here, and decided to share my own view on the movie. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is near perfection. The plot is extremely accurate to the book, the acting is wonderful, the soundtrack captures the same feel from Lord of the Rings while providing brand new tracks that fit in perfectly, and the special effects are some of theI was shocked when I saw how poorly this movie was rated here, and decided to share my own view on the movie. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is near perfection. The plot is extremely accurate to the book, the acting is wonderful, the soundtrack captures the same feel from Lord of the Rings while providing brand new tracks that fit in perfectly, and the special effects are some of the best to date. From the first scene, until the credits, you are sucked back into the same Middle Earth that the LOTR movies introduced you to. Although it obviously does resemble the Lord of the Rings movies, I don't think it's fair to judge it based on them. While The Lord of the Rings movies tell the tale of a dark voyage with epic battles, The Hobbit aims for (and achieves) a more fun and adventurous tone. Don't get me wrong though, it definitely has it's intense fighting scenes. So, overall, The Hobbit is a movie that anyone can enjoy and one that Tolkien fans will fall in love with. Go see it if you haven't! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer