8.1

1. Dec 31, 2012
    You see I have watched all of the LOTR movies and I would say that the Hobbit is the best by far, it has better graphics , modern 3D , and it has good actors, overall I give it a 10-10
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    This Film is an epic masterpiece. Peter Jackson has absolutely smashed it again with the superb adaptation. In this films first weekend box-office it has the highest record earning of any film produced worldwide. While this adaptation is from a 300 odd paged graphic children's novel, so yes it has been expanded to be made as a prequel saga for LOTR. I sincerely believe with no realThis Film is an epic masterpiece. Peter Jackson has absolutely smashed it again with the superb adaptation. In this films first weekend box-office it has the highest record earning of any film produced worldwide. While this adaptation is from a 300 odd paged graphic children's novel, so yes it has been expanded to be made as a prequel saga for LOTR. I sincerely believe with no real offence to the original novel. I am sure Tolkien would be smiling at this recreation and to relive his work, God rest his soul. What a wonderfully made film, and while watching was as if in middle earth itself, with each scene and character their splendour and charms. Great detail, dialogue, and acting. The Bilbo Baggins, Gollum scene was my favourite being witty, funny, and dynamic. I wasn't bored at all for a second throughout it's lengthy duration the backgrounds and characters the adventure provided was plenty of sufficient entertainment to keep my attention throughout. It started with a great introduction and continued throughout with plenty of adventure while finishing well in line with a return, instead of just an abrupt ending. I can hardly for its return with much anticipation for the rest of this wonderful story.
    I cannot understand for a second why critic's gave this epic masterpiece a box-office smashing sensation the bad press they have done. Honestly what do they know? Please watch this film for yourselves before making any opinions. Although obviously with them rating higher worse films this year it has been questionable as to their motives. Weren't they paid, HaHa.
  3. Dec 28, 2012
    I don't know what happened to the official critics to rate this movie so badly. This is one hell of a movie, entertaining, has got the "film" aspect, rouses emotions in you, a has a message. Even better the film will be if you read the book. You can't go wrong when you see how many people rated this movie X>60% (green). Reccommended!
  4. Jan 4, 2013
    This is nothing short of the beginning of new Lord of the Rings trilogy, and that's basically the best fact ever, and a total reward to those who love TLOTR. It's all here: the music, the spectacle, and a few returning characters of course. My gripe is that the story isn't pushed along fast enough by the action. Meaning, after a battle not much has changed, and on to the next battle. ButThis is nothing short of the beginning of new Lord of the Rings trilogy, and that's basically the best fact ever, and a total reward to those who love TLOTR. It's all here: the music, the spectacle, and a few returning characters of course. My gripe is that the story isn't pushed along fast enough by the action. Meaning, after a battle not much has changed, and on to the next battle. But enough complaints! I'm back in the world of TLOTR! Expand
  5. Feb 22, 2013
    I was really afraid this 3-movie concept multiplied by Hollywood standards of moviemaking will ruin the ideas and concepts of the book. Yet it was awesome! I could nip-pick a bit, but in fact every scene or event from "There and back again" is in place and they DO work with "injected" Necromancer plot (which existed before that only in additions to LOTR books and was mentioned in two linesI was really afraid this 3-movie concept multiplied by Hollywood standards of moviemaking will ruin the ideas and concepts of the book. Yet it was awesome! I could nip-pick a bit, but in fact every scene or event from "There and back again" is in place and they DO work with "injected" Necromancer plot (which existed before that only in additions to LOTR books and was mentioned in two lines at the book itself). So, great job. It could be better but it is still awesome! 9/10. Expand
  6. Jan 3, 2013
    After reading the strangely up and down reviews for this movie, I was very pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed this movie, and honestly haven't felt such a full movie-going experience since seeing the original trilogy in theaters. My biggest complaint was the insane HD look when seeing it in IMAX, I find that it looks way too real, stealing magic and warmth from the overall look andAfter reading the strangely up and down reviews for this movie, I was very pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed this movie, and honestly haven't felt such a full movie-going experience since seeing the original trilogy in theaters. My biggest complaint was the insane HD look when seeing it in IMAX, I find that it looks way too real, stealing magic and warmth from the overall look and feel of the movie. Though the special effects were quite impressively real looking to fit in with hyper-real look. Otherwise, I found the story, acting, script, and overall film to be truly excellent. Certainly not perfect, but neither were those LOTR films, people. Expand
  7. Jan 7, 2013
    Review based on 48fps non-3d edition as 3d gives me headaches.
    Review based on 48fps non-3d edition as 3d gives me headaches.
    I was very impressed with the LOTR trilogy by Peter Jackson, after being worried after seeing his earlier works...but then as now faith has been rewarded. The Hobbit is pretty much as I would have expected it, it matches most of the previous 3 movies high standards without too many shortcummings to stretch a short kids book into another 3 part epic. Lets not forget there is more story and background stuff in "The Hobbit" than all the Harry Potter series put together, so lets look at the main things Jackson got right. 1. 48fps is fantastic and whingers should shut up crying about out of date 24fps formats, though I agree 3d sucks and needs to die quickly.
    2. The story is pretty faithful to the book, and actually improves on some duller bits with some awesome special fx action sequences to pad it out in such a way it feels right at home with the lore.
    3. The acting is fantastic, Martin freeman was the perfect choice, and to have a lot of the original cast show up is also and linking it seemlessly to the LOTR movies is very welcome...
    4. The dwarves... okay they are there to carry the humour, they were written with next to no personality and stereotypical, but it's a kids book remember.

So why did I only give it 9/10, well some places didn't really need to be in there (Mountain Giants) but they were nice additions for nothing I guess... nobody would really miss having it when the movie is over 2:30hrs long... but I bought the extended LOTR so I want the lot...warts n all lol. So in essence it's a little long for kids to sit through but ideal for the nippers once it's out on Bluray.
  8. Dec 23, 2012
    Endearing characters, well paced, incredibly deep story and action packed.. The hobbit was an amazing movie one fully worthy of standing next to the other three. Whether you're a fan of the book or have never even seen lord of the rings (like my girlfriend) you'll walk away with a filling experience.
  9. Jan 9, 2013
    The movie is visually beautiful. It's a new opportunity to revisit Middle-Earth through the mastery of Peter Jackson - but it is not The Lord of the Rings, it's another story, so don't expect the same experience. If only the climax had been Goblin town, the movie would've been better. The HFR version is almost perfect.
  10. Dec 17, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the best movie of 2012, before I watch the movie I thought tha would be not good, because it is inspired in a book that only have 200 pages, but Peter Jackson did a really great job and the 3D it's perfect. The soundtrack is very good. When The movies end I wanted more. And the actors are so good. Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen for me were the bestThe Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the best movie of 2012, before I watch the movie I thought tha would be not good, because it is inspired in a book that only have 200 pages, but Peter Jackson did a really great job and the 3D it's perfect. The soundtrack is very good. When The movies end I wanted more. And the actors are so good. Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen for me were the best actors of the whole movie Expand
  11. Dec 26, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant movie that exceeded expectations. Do not listen to the mainstream critics who would give a piece of crap black and white silent french film commenting about the nature of existence a 10 but rate the Hobbit a 5 (Wtf??). If you like good movies, see this!
  12. Dec 19, 2012
    One question most of you are wondering is: Does the Hobbit live up to the Lord of The Rings. The answer is both yes and no. No in that it is not as epic as LOTR (Lord of The Rings) which is almost impossible to do, but is very close. Yes in that it is an extremely enjoyable movie that does well for the franchise. The pacing of the movie starts off slow (similar to the first LOTR) but itOne question most of you are wondering is: Does the Hobbit live up to the Lord of The Rings. The answer is both yes and no. No in that it is not as epic as LOTR (Lord of The Rings) which is almost impossible to do, but is very close. Yes in that it is an extremely enjoyable movie that does well for the franchise. The pacing of the movie starts off slow (similar to the first LOTR) but it explodes into an amazing adventure after a little more than 30 minutes. It is very similar to LOTR in most aspects except that has a lighter and more humorous side to it. It follows the book very well and overall is one of my favorite movies of the year. It's simple: if you loved LOTR, this movie is for you. If you didn't like LOTR, you will probably not like it. I watched the movie in IMAX 3D and found it to be one of the most entertaining nights at the movie theater ever. My only gripe is the CGI doesn't always work. At times it can make the movie look almost cartoony. I wish it were more like the LOTR trilogy. It had a much more realistic feel to it. P.S. if you were wondering, the 3D was pretty great. I thought it was one of the best, next to Avatar. They didn't just add in one or two scenes in 3D. Expand
  13. Jul 13, 2013
    Wow..........my expectations weren't high enough and honestly i was little scared that it will come out pale repetition of the Lord of The Rings....i enjoyed every second of it and looking forward for the next one....
  14. Xon
    May 11, 2013
    I was quite weary beforehand knowing that it would be a trilogy. However, all the narrative threats tie together and is pertinent to the wider middle-earth mythos. The vsiual and sound quality is top notch, and the active above reproach. It has neatly set up the story for the next installments and I am definitely looking forward to it.
  15. Apr 21, 2013
    Yes, this film can be very cheesy at times, but it has some of the most honest emotion and most blatant adventuring that I have seen from a film in a LONG time.
  16. Jun 30, 2013
    I`m surprised how good was that. It`s amazing epic journey, that you enjoy. It`s not as big as LotR was, but surely not disappointing. This movie has everything, what you can expected. It`s a side story, whithout ultimate evil and good, but side stories are very important part of any fantasy world, even the Middle-earth. That`s what all Tolkien`s fan knows very well. Every part of movie isI`m surprised how good was that. It`s amazing epic journey, that you enjoy. It`s not as big as LotR was, but surely not disappointing. This movie has everything, what you can expected. It`s a side story, whithout ultimate evil and good, but side stories are very important part of any fantasy world, even the Middle-earth. That`s what all Tolkien`s fan knows very well. Every part of movie is done well. Expand
  17. Jan 6, 2013
    Such a great movie, I went in with a skeptical mind and came out pleasantly surprised. I think Jackson has a fantastic start to The Hobbit and I look forward to the sequels!
  18. Dec 29, 2012
    Critics pushed me to write a review. First of all, I must say I haven't read any LOTR or Tolkien books. That being said, I enjoy the world of Tolkien. As a kid I used to play Warhammer countless hours. I am a big fan of the LOTR and the hobbit realy lived up to my expectations. I can somewhat understand why people whine about FPS or "humorous beheading sequences played for cheap laughs"Critics pushed me to write a review. First of all, I must say I haven't read any LOTR or Tolkien books. That being said, I enjoy the world of Tolkien. As a kid I used to play Warhammer countless hours. I am a big fan of the LOTR and the hobbit realy lived up to my expectations. I can somewhat understand why people whine about FPS or "humorous beheading sequences played for cheap laughs" but I gotta say to these people "GET A F**** LIFE*. If you start to complain about little things as such, well I feel sorry for you then. Honestly, I HIGHLY recommend this movie - especially if you like that type of fantasy. I have friend that said this movie was OK but they are more into anime/japanese stuff which I enjoy too. Anyway well done Peter Jackson! Expand
  19. Jan 3, 2013
    After so many years in production hell at MGM with serious doubt over these films happening at all, The Hobbit finally hit our screens, and quite a hit it was.
    If it is at all possible NOT to see Lord of the Rings before you see the new prequel trilogy then do so, because as enjoyable and entertaining as the Hobbit was, it simply wasn't LOTR.
    We clearly see from the beginning of the
    We clearly see from the beginning of the "Unexpected Journey" that these are much simpler times in middle earth, set sixty years prior to LOTR, we see Bilbo almost unwittingly setting out with a set of dwarves led by their King, Thorin Oakenshield, to reclaim the Lonely Mountain, forcibly taken from them years before from the dragon, Smaug.
    An unneccesary forty minutes or so of introduction classes involving the dwarves, Bilbo and the welcome return of Ian McKellan as Gandalf the Grey did seem long-winded, but thats what happens when you split a 310 page book into three films.
    What enticed me about this film, as i was watching the LOTR trilogy a few weeks later, is how Jackson has beautifully bounced them off each other to create an almost parallel world with no stone left unturned, little things such as the orc sword given to Frodo by bilbo makes an appearance, the trolls which are briefly seen in LOTR, simple little devices like this which take us down memory lane that can be effortlessly entertaining without relying too much on the past.
    This is exactly why The Hobbit is so different, it was an attempt to rely on itself and not the massive cultural impact of the LOTR trilogy, something which Jackson succeeded greatly on. It's light-hearted, often humorous and exceptionally beautiful to watch. 48 fps took a little adjusting to, but where this HFR really shines are the action scenes in "Goblin City". A particular scene involving Bilbo and the dwarves find them trying to escape a duel between two stone giants, which is simply breathtaking to watch.
    Arguably the greatest part of the film is the brief return of Gollum, who engages in a battle of riddles with Bilbo, and without any spoilers, a predictable but smile-on-your-face discovery is made from our dear Hobbit.
    Excellent performances from Ian McKellan as Gandalf, Martin Freeman as a young bilbo, Richard Armitage as the miserable and brooding King Thorin as the the head of the dwarves, and the dwarves in general, its no secret the rigorous time in effort which goes into creating these creatures so bravo to all involved.
    With brief appearances from Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving and Christopher Lee reprising their roles of Galadriel, Elrond and Saruman the White respectively, its wonderful to see familiar faces so utilized so brilliantly, but expertly placed to set up their own stories which we see in the LOTR. I thought Elijah Wood's appearance as Frodo, while cool to see, was simply unnecessary and to simple a paycheck to earn on Wood's part.
    Light-hearted, humorous, and excellent action scenes make this a stand alone film to be reckoned with, while not as engrossing and spectacular as its predecessors, this prequel stands on its own two feet and has set up what could be a roller coaster of a trilogy on an epic scale.
  20. May 14, 2013
    A great movie, "official" critics are being too critical as if they never seen prequels in the past... I loved to get back into the LotR universe and highly enjoyed the quality and budget of the movie. Dwarfs storyline is quite interesting. Movie is quite predictable yet not that much to give it score of 4-5.

I'm looking forward to next The Hobbit movie. Also badass ending song, this is

I'm looking forward to next The Hobbit movie. Also badass ending song, this is probably the only movie in the world that forced me to sit through credits scene.
  21. Dec 17, 2012
    The Hobbit - An unexpected journey is a film of 2012 directed by Peter Jackson and based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. The story speaks of the facts prior to "The Lord of the Rings" and tells of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins who, together with Gandalf and thirteen dwarves will help to regain the treasure of the latter, guarded by the fearsome dragon Smaug. The film is very faithful toThe Hobbit - An unexpected journey is a film of 2012 directed by Peter Jackson and based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. The story speaks of the facts prior to "The Lord of the Rings" and tells of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins who, together with Gandalf and thirteen dwarves will help to regain the treasure of the latter, guarded by the fearsome dragon Smaug. The film is very faithful to the novel and adds some parts that are in the book just mentioned while in the film are expanded and will be key for the next chapters. Excellent choice of cast with actors formidable, fantastic photography and scenery typical of "Lord of the Rings", incredible special effects that digital is very little known and very beautiful music. Perhaps you might find the first part of the film a little bit slow while the second can achieve high moments of action. Expand
  22. Dec 31, 2012
    The hobbit is a great beggining to what looks like another great trilogy from jackson. It has everything in it that made the lord of the rings trilogy great story, action, drama, thrills and spills. the new and returning actors are all good and play there parts right and this should be watched by all lotr fans and everyone else and once again the critics have got it wrong. my onlyThe hobbit is a great beggining to what looks like another great trilogy from jackson. It has everything in it that made the lord of the rings trilogy great story, action, drama, thrills and spills. the new and returning actors are all good and play there parts right and this should be watched by all lotr fans and everyone else and once again the critics have got it wrong. my only critisism is that not that much has changed since lotr. Expand
  23. Dec 23, 2012
    Please, do not look at the low score critics gave. They compare the hobbit with the lord of the rings. What they do forget is that the hobbit isn't lord of the rings. It's written before lotr and the atmosphere in the book is much lighter. Peter Jackson tries to implement this in his movie, and does it pretty well. I've also seen the high frame rate version, which is great. Never saw aPlease, do not look at the low score critics gave. They compare the hobbit with the lord of the rings. What they do forget is that the hobbit isn't lord of the rings. It's written before lotr and the atmosphere in the book is much lighter. Peter Jackson tries to implement this in his movie, and does it pretty well. I've also seen the high frame rate version, which is great. Never saw a movie technically so good. Expand
  24. Dec 28, 2012
    The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey is a truly awesome film, very true to the re-written, darker version of the hobbit, obviously written by J.R.R Tolkien himself. I thought this first part set the trilogy up incredibly well, the way that it started slowly pleased me, because if they they didn't make it start slowly, they'd have to make the other two films 20 minutes shorter. After the firstThe Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey is a truly awesome film, very true to the re-written, darker version of the hobbit, obviously written by J.R.R Tolkien himself. I thought this first part set the trilogy up incredibly well, the way that it started slowly pleased me, because if they they didn't make it start slowly, they'd have to make the other two films 20 minutes shorter. After the first hour had finished, the movie became frantic and incredibly exciting and thrilling to watch, with just incredible stuff going on, it's hard to describe how great the film is after the first hour or so has past. An Unexpected Journey has a distinct feel and charm to it, being similar to the Lord of the Rings, but different at the same time, it manages to catch your emotions in quite a unique way, and that's a good thing... So I rate this movie a... 9.9/10! Collapse
  25. Dec 28, 2012
    Lord of the Rings it's not - and that's the point. The wit and humour present in the book is held true in Jackson's film adaptation. While the deviations are significant from the source material, the addition of the content from appendices and other works in Middle Earth are seamlessly blended together with content from The Hobbit itself. The frame rate will take a few minutes to adjustLord of the Rings it's not - and that's the point. The wit and humour present in the book is held true in Jackson's film adaptation. While the deviations are significant from the source material, the addition of the content from appendices and other works in Middle Earth are seamlessly blended together with content from The Hobbit itself. The frame rate will take a few minutes to adjust to, but the result is nothing short of spectacular. If you take this film for what it is - you will find it a thoroughly enjoyable film and an excellent adaptation of the works of Tolkien. Expand
  26. Dec 29, 2012
    This movie was another amazing job by Peter Jackson to bring JRR Tolkiens work to the big screen. I thought this movie was amazing however it is cheesier than the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, because the book was written that way.
  27. Dec 19, 2012
    An extremely well done movie suited both for those familiar with the movies and those new to the series. Being a fan of the Lord of the Rings movies and book trilogy I thoroughly enjoyed this film. To describe the movie I think it is suffice to say that it doesn't feel like a 2 hr 45 min film. The production value is high and it definitely shows in all ways. Plenty of foreshadowing of whatAn extremely well done movie suited both for those familiar with the movies and those new to the series. Being a fan of the Lord of the Rings movies and book trilogy I thoroughly enjoyed this film. To describe the movie I think it is suffice to say that it doesn't feel like a 2 hr 45 min film. The production value is high and it definitely shows in all ways. Plenty of foreshadowing of what is come within the timeline of the movies so if you know the other three you'll love the references. Of the 4 total that have been made this is my second favorite (behind fellowship). Not quite as much mind-numbing action but the story is superb. You should definitely see this movie. One of the best of the year. Expand
  28. Dec 22, 2012
    I lose all respect for any and all critics who reviewed this movie saying it was slow at the beginning or not as god as it should have been. It stays more true to the book then lotr movies. Has anyone ever heard of character development(building). It is a integral part of a great movie and no one does it better then Peter Jackson and this movie is no exception. Fellowship of the ringI lose all respect for any and all critics who reviewed this movie saying it was slow at the beginning or not as god as it should have been. It stays more true to the book then lotr movies. Has anyone ever heard of character development(building). It is a integral part of a great movie and no one does it better then Peter Jackson and this movie is no exception. Fellowship of the ring started just as slow or slower as far as action and it was reviewed amazing. People and mainly critics have truly forgotten what elements make up a great movie. Its not just action action action which it seems people want to see these days. All action movies are good but they lack movie magic. The Hobbit is loaded with all the elements of a perfect movie and a movie like it only comes around every few years if were lucky.

+Cinematography
    ----Well defined, detailed scenery
    +Plot
    ----Compelling, interesting plot
    ----Good character development
    ----Unexpected twists (its a movie from a book so this doesn't apply)
    +Visual Effects
    +Sound
    ----Good quality sound FX
    ----Clear voice quality
    +Lighting
    ----Dynamic lighting environments, that set an appropriate tone There is NOT a single point that The Hobbit did not deliver on.
    10/10 Easy
  29. Jan 6, 2013
    'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' beautifully showcases Tolkien's magical world of fantasy creatures, lands, and adventures. The effects might just be the best ones I have ever seen in a movie, the plot is bold and simple while remaining enjoyable and gripping, the characters are beautifully presented and overall I have almost no negative comments on this movie.
  30. Jan 5, 2013
    Amazing movie, don't listen to the snot-nosed, pretentious critics. I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the Fellowship of the Ring. There are some liberties taken with the source material but it is for the better as it makes a more entertaining movie.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer