8.1

1. Dec 15, 2012
    This is easily one of my favourite films of all time. Great story telling, great balance between humour and adventure, and great acting throughout, especially from Andy Serkis. I have no idea how critics have given it such a low score, other than to appear against the grain and not enjoy a phenomenal piece of cinema, but Empire gave it an 8/10 which should speak volumes compared with other less credited critics. I am tempted to see this film in the cinemas multiple times which I have never done for any other movie. Absolutely Incredible. Expand
  2. Dec 15, 2012
    Peter Jackson has brought Middle-Earth back. Absolutely brilliant, I cannot wait to see it again. I was a little worried about some of the reviews out there, but after seeing it came to the conclusion that they are 100% bull. Don't trust a single one until you have seen this yourself. Absolutely fantastic.
  3. Dec 15, 2012
    Any fan of the book will be pleased by the perfection Peter Jackson has recreated again. Don't be fooled by the critics, this is not LOTR4 It's The Hobbit. 10/10 going to go see it again.
  4. Dec 15, 2012
    Without any kind of doubts, is the best fantasy movie I have ever seen.
    If you like fantasy, it's an essential movie to watch.
    A new magic world awaits you!
  5. Dec 15, 2012
    This movie is a masterpiece of fantasy adventure filmmaking. I especially recommend the high frame rate (HFR) IMAX 3D presentation--it's worth every penny. I did have some nits to pick regarding how Radagast was brought to the screen, but that aside, it's a wondrous film.
  6. Dec 15, 2012
    As a massive fan of the book I was desperate for all the magic I remembered to be present, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. An absolute marvel from start to finish, the performances were stunning, the music beautiful and entrancing, the depth and detail of the environments pulled you in and the script was utterly charming. Although some aspects were tweaked they were few and far between and any change made felt right. I didn't notice the length at all, I was so engrossed it just flew by. With any luck I'll be seeing it again...and again. Expand
  7. Dec 15, 2012
    Was a bit concerned after seeing the films fairly low score on here and on rotten but the film is absolutely perfect. I'm tempted to say it's even better than the previous 3 films in terms of it's scope, it's beautiful imagery and the special effects. I was enchanted for the entire duration of the movie, not a dull moment. Plenty of action too, probably more action than the other three (not combined of course). Anyone who says the film is too long either doesn't like the film in general (so it seems drawn out) or just has a rubbish attention span. For me it was over in a flash. A masterpiece. Peter Jackson maintains his legendary status in my eyes. Expand
  8. Dec 15, 2012
    Whilst a lot lighter in tone this is still a worthy entry into the Lord of the Rings franchise. I saw the movie in old school 24fps 2D and enjoyed it a lot. Ignore the critics, go see it, and make up your own mind.
  9. Dec 14, 2012
    Amazing movie. I don't see why it's getting bad reviews , the story is great the characters are great the locations are great. If your a fan of lord of the rings you will love it as I did!!
  10. Dec 14, 2012
    Truly awesome, on par with fellowship! Brilliant acting from all cast members. Bilbo, Gollum, Gandalf and Thorin and absolutely perfect. The ending will have you leaning forward out of your screen as Tolkein's Novel and Jackson's new material come crashing together in an awesome finale!
  11. Dec 14, 2012
    Amazing film, what the critics say is sort of right: bloated story, slow beginning, cartoony, silly action and special effects, but it is minor and you will not notice it as the exciting story and beautiful world keeps coming. Some scenes such as the spectacular Riddles in the dark are straight out of the book, but Jackson has made a few changes and added new material which on a large is also great. perfect acting all round. Everything is pretty much amazing. Just don't listen to the critics and watch it! Expand
  12. Dec 14, 2012
    Though not quite as good as the Lord of the Rings films, the first installment of the planned Hobbit trilogy was engaging, fun, and beautiful. Some may argue that it takes to long to start but the beginning is filled with fun moments that introduce the characters as well as the quest that will occupy these three films. It does a fantastic job conveying that the Hobbit is more of a bit less serious than the Lord of the Rings and kids will be sure to get a few laughs. Peter Jackson is once again able to show the beauty of Middle Earth with stunning shots of the land and is able to convey the grand scope of the quest effectively. The performances were absolutely fantastic. Sir Ian McKellen delivers once again as the wizard Gandalf and Martin Freeman was incredibly charming as Bilbo Baggins. Though there are a lot of dwarves to keep track of and some of them are more forgettable than others, all performances are solid and Jackson allows pretty much all of them at least some dialogue. I am sure they will get more notice in the next two films. The only downside is that at times there is a feel of overuse of CGI. Part of what made the LotR films great was the mix of real with CGI. Most of the orcs are completely CGI and therefore the combat seems to be lacking. But seeing as this is a happier movie series that isn't combat driven like the LotR films it is forgivable. For those wondering how such a relatively short book will span three films, Jackson adapts many of Tolkien's other writings to the film as to provide background and context. To people who read The Hobbit that may recall something in the film not happening in the book, don't worry it is nothing that Tolkien didn't already write. Overall The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a fantastic film that is tons of fun and does a great job introducing characters and kicking of the beloved epic tale that will take two more installments. Any fan of Tolkien will love it... unless your just a dick. Expand
  13. Dec 14, 2012
    The hobbit lived up to my expectations. The only negative thing I can think of is that the movie as a whole is much more CGI heavy than the LOTR trilogy, however this is both a bad and a good thing. In some scenes it is quite blatantly obvious where CGI was used which in turn ruins the flow of the film, I can only think of two instances of this happening where it actually stood out and made quite a bit of difference. It was purposely used however, to create humor. The positive aspects of the heavy CGI use was that it created very unique looking characters that make the creatures in The Hobbit look fresh and new than the classic orcs we have seen over and over again. Expand
  14. Dec 14, 2012
    I waited long and hard for this movie, and boy did they deliver! I had chills as I watched this grand adventure unfold, and this is only the beginning! They couldn't have picked a better Bilbo, very charming. The only minor things that bothered me were trying to remember the names of the dwarfs, and the fact that when ever their was a different language being spoken, they used subtitles. Other than those very minor things, great movie, and i simply can't wait for the next two, and it can only get better. Expand
  15. Dec 14, 2012
    Well, I officially no longer trust the review of "critics." How this movie has such an average score with critics is jaw-dropping. While it's not an AMAZING movie, it is no doubt a very very GOOD movie. While it isn't on par with the Lord of the Rings films, it certainly does the franchise justice. And it CERTAINLY does not warrant the bashing is has received from "official" critics. Thankfully the user score comes to the rescue once more!

I wish I could have scored this movie an 8.5. It isn't quite an 8 but neither is it a 9. It is a movie that is just short of greatness, but easily worth your money and time.

The start to the film will bore some people, but it will enthrall others. If you enjoy a bit of comedy and lots of character development, you'll like the first third. If you came to the movie theaters in hope of constant action, well... you might be yawning for the first hour.

But action fans will get their money's worth towards the end of the movie. It is a treat to see the wild escapes and fights that form the action packed climax of the film. Some of the coolest looking, and just plain FUN action scenes I've seen in a while.

The pacing is a bit weird, but those who want story will get it. Those who want action will get it. Those who want both will be VERY happy when all is said and done.

The acting is fantastic. Bilbo's and Thorin's actors nail it. I was expecting good things out of those two, but "good" just doesn't do them justice. Bilbo is a clumsy, nervous, and unconfident hero who you laugh at, laugh with, and constantly cheer for. Thorin walks that fine line between jerk and tragic hero... he is a dark character who will anger you and pull at your heart strings all at the same time. Both Bilbo and Thorin feel REAL, at least as real as a Hobbit and fantasy Dwarf can.

This movie is not a 10/10 for a reason though. It certainly has it's flaws. For one, it relies too heavily upon CGI. A good movie will find a balance between real and animated. Unfortunately An Unexpected Journey did not find this balance. While the CGI is great, it's over-usage is a major distraction at points. A second major flaw is that it feels a bit to drawn out. Jackson could have cut out an action scene here or there, or, could have shortened some of the heavy narration and introductions during the beginning of the film.

Still the flaws do not bog down this excellent movie. I say it is a must see! Just don't go into it expecting the grand scale found in Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit is a much smaller story. There is no END OF THE WORLD scenario. It is the tale of a group of Dwarves trying to reclaim their home, and a simple Hobbit who finds the courage to join them on their adventure. PROS:
    A strong story and heavy character development for Thorin, Bilbo, and Gandalf. Great action scenes
    Great visuals (even if a bit to CGI heavy)
    Great use of 3D (note I DID NOT SEE THE HIGH DEFINITION VERSION, so I cannot comment on that)
    Amazing costumes
    A surprising amount of funny scenes

CONS:
    Overused CGI
    The story feels a bit thinly stretched throughout the middle of the film
    Odd pacing here and there
    I have to wait a year to see the next film... NNNNOOOOOOO!
  16. Dec 14, 2012
    The Hobbit is a great movie.The story it told,the battles, even the way it showed thing that explain more of the lord of the rings. For a prequel(and the first book) it was pretty good. some parts did start to slow things down but with a story this big things have to be mentioned in the first movie.If you have seen the lord of the rings or read any of the books,see this movie.If you haven't then you can still go see this movie. Expand
  17. Dec 14, 2012
    Once again the critics get it wrong. When was the last time a critic called a good movie right. I read this book many times growing up and the movie was everything I could have wanted and more. Faithful to the book and translated well onto the screen. You won't be disappointed.
  18. Dec 14, 2012
    Simply put, this was an amazing movie to look at. Like anything else it had it's flaws, but the 48FPS is visually stunning. Like Avatar and 3D, this movie sets a new standard for movie making.
  19. Dec 14, 2012
    An excellent addition to Jackson's collection of Tolkien adaptations. Word of advice, don't go into watching this film wanting a film exactly like Fellowship of the Ring. It's not, it has a different feel, and different tone, but you will still know you are being absorbed into Middle Earth while watching AUJ. The acting is superb - Freeman and Armitage ARE Bilbo and Thorin, and of course McKellen and Serkis reprise their roles with perfection.

An Unexpected Journey is an adaptation of The Hobbit - not LOTR. It has a different tone and critics going into this film expecting the same emotional ups and downs as LOTR will be disappointed. Not to say there isn't any in AUJ - there are plenty.
  20. Dec 14, 2012
    Beautifully made, whimsical, and thoroughly entertaining. Much more lighthearted than I thought, Martin Freeman is great! Definitely recommend, want to see it again in the 48 frames!
  21. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was is a great film. Not a perfect film mind you, but a damn great one. I have a feeling my admiration of the fim comes from the fact that I love everything Tolkien, and the fact that I went into the theater last night with low expectations, because I knew it would be hard for Peter Jackson to match the perfection of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. In any case, I was impressed by the level of detail in the film (and I didn't even see it in 48fps!) and the beauty of every shot. I was equally impressed by the writer's ability to incorporate material from the appendices into the story and fashion the film to not only stay fairly faithful to Tolkien, but to also make the film exciting, breathtaking, funny, and magical. I thoroughly enjoyed the flashbacks to Dale and the destruction of Erebor, the fight between the orcs and the dwarves, and the inclusion of Radagast the Brown and the White Council (though as I said before, I am a Tolkien aficionado so more detail and more Middle Earth in general is better for me). While I did like the addition of Azog and the vendetta between him and Thorin, I didn't like the fact that the orc was completely CGI; it detracted from the personal feeling of the relationship between himself and Thorin. I think it would have been entirely possible to have an actual person play the role, which would have given the chase and vengeance a more intimate feel (ex: Witch King and Lurtz). Ultimately though, the film was amazing. The acting was top notch, especially from Martin Freeman, Andy Serkis, and Ian McKellen. I have yet to see the film in its intended format, 48 fps, so I don't anything to gripe about in that department yet. I strongly encourage everyone to see this great piece of cinema, and yes, its seems long at parts and slightly bloated, but if you're a fan of Lord of the Rings and Tolkien like myself, then it shouldn't be a deterrent. Expand
  22. Dec 14, 2012
    It pains me to see so many people comparing The Hobbit to The lord of the rings movies. The Hobbit is a completely different story and really doesn't have much to do with lotr, therefore, I don't see this as a prequel and I never will. I think that they did a great job adding stuff that wasn't in the book in order to make this first movie more exciting and interesting.
    The ''Riddles in
    the dark'' scene with Bilbo and Gollum was just glorious. I could watch that for hours and still not be bored. The ending of the movie was really good too, Bilbo took a huge step as a character and I would say it was quite emotional, the bonds between the main characters are getting stronger. Expand
  23. Dec 14, 2012
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is about Dwarves reclaiming they're homeland from Smaug the Dragon and Bilbo Baggins gets thrown into this epic adventure. Yes I am a huge Lord of The Rings fan and I dare say I prefer it than Star Wars in most circumstances. Just my taste. After hearing the harsh criticism I was going to expect an "okay" movie that was bloated. I'm happy to say it was a fantastic journey of my own. Other than a few minor problems, I thought this was a great movie. I also saw it in 48 fps and I was ready to get disgusted by the visuals but to be truthfully honest I found nothing wrong with this. This is how I saw it but everyone has different taste so therefore the 48 fps for me is alright in my book. I was so happy to return to Middle-Earth. As soon as Bilbo lit the candle the 48 fps was weird, than not even before the camera leaves Bilbo's face, I just got used to it. It does have its pacing problem where it almost never gets to the point, which it didn't bother me at all. Though to a non Tolkien fan you will find it frustrating. The only main characters are Gandalf, Bilbo, and Thorin. Balin, Fili and Kili are secondary characters and that's really all the characters you get to know. There are thirteen dwarves but you don't get almost anything from the majority of the group. Unlike in the Fellowship you get to care and get to know about all the nine members in the first Lord of the Rings. So there aren't character development for the majority. Personally I had enough character development from Martin Freeman who is just so perfect for this role. Ian Mckellen is a legendary presence as always. Thorin played by Richard Armitrage is one of my new favorite characters replacing Aragon as the heroic leader of the group. There is so much development in his character especially the relationship between him and Bilbo and his desire for this quest above anyone. He is the most important new character and a great one. As I have said the acting is nothing short of great. Andy Serkis has come back to grace us with his presence in the best scene of the entire movie. Riddles between Bilbo and Gollum are top notch acting. I would be saddened if he did not return for the rest two installments . Howard Shore's score is as great as it has ever been. As a movie lover and a Tolkien fan I am happy to say its worth a watch, if you're curious about this movie. I don't know if you should watch this in 48 fps but my experience was good. If you love this fantasy as much as I do than I guarantee another great addition to this Epic adventure. You may call me a "fanboy" because I would decline every negative review and by going against all the negative backlash said on the 48 fps or whatever they are nitpicking. Everyone has different experiences. If you thought ill of The Lord of the Rings I'd recommend don't watch it. My score is a 9/10. Expand
  24. Dec 14, 2012
    Best movie since Lord of the Rings: Return of the King! And thats for sure it is so brilliant! Peter Jackson is really the only man to do this! I really look forward to the next chapter!
  25. Dec 14, 2012
    If you are a fan of "The Lord of the Rings" or just a fan of good movies in general, then this is a must see. Critics need to stop comparing it to the original trilogy and take it for what it is, a fun adventure with lots of humor that sets the stage for the ring and the shadow growing in Mordor.
  26. Dec 14, 2012
    Reading the negative reviews can be angering... The Hobbit starts the series possibly stronger than the Fellowship of the Ring. The dwarves had tons of character, Gandalf was great as ever, and Thorin and Bilbo stole the show. It was entertaining, and overall a great film.
  27. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly I had doubts about this movie, I thought Peter Jackson could lose the "touch" after all this years, but The Hobbit: An unexpected journey" it's an amazing movie! It brings that nostalgic feeling watching the same actors from ten years ago, the 48fps seems quite nice and easy to adapt to it, good soundtracks from Howard Shore, good acting & setting, they included parts (and will keep including parts) from other Tolkien stories for example The White Council, the investigation of Dol Guldur, etc etc..I LOVED this movie.

But yes, its not perfect, it have flaws...very slow paced movie (at the first half of the movie) some details were irrelevant and could have been omitted until the Extended Edition release, Radagast felt weak portrayed, there were more-than-necessary cheesy quotes that I hope they avoid in the next films..
    I understand if people didnt like this movie but after reading some reviews most of them have biased "facts" and a 0 score, really? Anyways...it is a great movie, I expected less but it surpassed my expectations, I recommend it.
  28. Dec 14, 2012
    It is an awesome FAN movie made by a true fan; If you didn't like the Lord of the Rings previous movies... Then this movie is NOT for you. 10/10 The image, the music, the characters everything is great!!
  29. Dec 14, 2012
    A lot of critics are complaining about the length of this movie, but in my opinion this was not one of the negatives. I was amazed and entertained with every second of the movie, and was dreading seeing the credits. A feeling that I'm sure many Tolkien fans will share. Sure the beginning started off a little slow, but after passing the 45 minute threshold the movie almost became a nonstop adventure that fans have come to expect from the LOTR's. The acting was great, the sets and scenery breathtaking, a fantastic soundtrack, and great action. All centered around a amazing story, dotted with additions from other Tolkien books, that for the most part follows the book. The only problems I had with the movie is that I didn't care as much about the dwarves as I did members of the LOTR's fellowship. They just were all to similar and number to many to gain any sort of real emotional attachment, excluding Thorin. The second problem being the use of CGI for orks instead of actors in customs. They just didn't seem as real, and left me wondering why Jackson made the switch. Outside of these minor complaints though, the Hobbit was an amazing film, and my personal favorite of 2012. Expand
  30. Dec 14, 2012
    Way better movie than the Fellowship of the Rings. The only complaint I have is it is a prequel so you have a rough idea what happens. Moved reasonably quickly when you consider the 2 1/2 hour length. Ignore the major critics ratings. The major critics like gay cowboys, southern racists (apparently the only racists who ever lived), and environmentalist heroes and could not care less about a good story or interesting characters. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer